PDA

View Full Version : Deal: Sacramento Kings Sign Darren Collison: 3 years @ 16mil

Clippersfan86
07-03-2014, 11:44 AM
3 years, 16 million. Per Brad Turner (Clippers beat writer) of L.A Times. Once again a player who repeated they want to stay bails for a bigger paycheck. The good news is the Clippers won't blow their MLE load on a PG now. Can fill real needs like SF/backup big.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/11172757/darren-collison-signs-3-year-16-million-deal-sacramento-kings

hugepatsfan
07-03-2014, 11:45 AM
Not a bad deal. I wonder what this means for Thomas.

Clippersfan86
07-03-2014, 11:48 AM
Darren was apparently guaranteed the starting role. So dumb to let Isiah Thomas walk if true. He's the most underrated PG in the league. Collison was great as a backup PG under a great coaching staff. I don't see the same as a starter for worse team, under worse coaches.

goingfor28
07-03-2014, 11:49 AM
Dude got paid

True Sports Fan
07-03-2014, 11:56 AM
:sigh:

jimm120
07-03-2014, 12:04 PM
imo, these aren't highly payed players. When they get a big contract, they gotta take it.

When you're earning 100-200 million in your career, a few million won't hurt you.

When you're earning around 10-15 million ...or supposed to, and someone offers you something that'll increase your total to 15-25 million over your career, then you do it.

Look at Lin. He HAD to take that 5-5-15 contract. WHen was he ever going to get a contract that big, even though he was (at the moment) only a 4 million type of guy and just out of the D League.

Crackadalic
07-03-2014, 12:06 PM
Cool now let's see where Isaiah is heading

Clippersfan86
07-03-2014, 12:07 PM
ďThe Kings were the most aggressive team by far in the free agency, and I respected that on all levels," Darren Collison on Sacramento. Of course, I was trying to make it work with the Clippers and tried to resign with them. "But I didnít think they really made me their first priority like the Kings did."

True Sports Fan
07-03-2014, 12:08 PM
Gonna miss I.T

MrfadeawayJB
07-03-2014, 12:11 PM
The kings like small pgs

JLynn943
07-03-2014, 12:12 PM
No problem with Collison, but I really wanted to hold on to IT...

eternal slumber
07-03-2014, 12:22 PM
good bye IT

BallIsAll
07-03-2014, 12:24 PM
I think Thomas is better but that's just my opinion

JLynn943
07-03-2014, 12:28 PM

I agree...

NYKnickFanatic
07-03-2014, 12:32 PM

I would call this a fact.

Clippersfan86
07-03-2014, 12:45 PM
I would call this a fact.

Exactly. Not even close to debatable.

TheNumber37
07-03-2014, 12:45 PM
Sign and Trade Isiah Thomas for Greg Monroe

Wade n Fade
07-03-2014, 12:47 PM
Isiah Thomas in Miami would be a fun idea.

Lakers + Giants
07-03-2014, 12:51 PM
I hope this means lakers get IT

Deception
07-03-2014, 12:53 PM
sign and trade isiah thomas for greg monroe

lol

tredigs
07-03-2014, 01:02 PM

Than Collison? LOL. He was better than Kyrie Irving.

JLynn943
07-03-2014, 01:05 PM
Than Collison? LOL. He was better than Kyrie Irving.

Yeah, that's why I absolutely do not understand what we are doing. The extra $3M/year that Isaiah will probably get is absolutely worth the difference in production.

Mr.B
07-03-2014, 01:06 PM
That's way too much money for Collision. They are going to regret giving him that much. As for Thomas he has a few options. I know the Mavs have been talking to his agent. He'd be a great fit in Dallas to pair up with Devin Harris.

amak316
07-03-2014, 02:12 PM
New Sacramento ownership came in and said all the right things but their actions since taking over seem to be all wrong. Even every trade rumor that surfaces that they are in talks about always seems like they are after far and away the wrong players.

sacgiants1213
07-03-2014, 02:20 PM
I agree...

kings have two routes: Match for IT (which they still can)... or sign n trade IT. I don't think this really impacts IT that much.

JLynn943
07-03-2014, 02:40 PM
kings have two routes: Match for IT (which they still can)... or sign n trade IT. I don't think this really impacts IT that much.

Yeah, I know that we certainly could still keep him, it's just that this signing (and Collison supposedly being told he'd start) and all of the trade rumors have me doubting. If we signed Collison to start and resign IT to play off of the bench, I will be thrilled.

Sactown
07-03-2014, 02:56 PM
I think there's still a chance we sign him to be a 6th man. Also I think this is a fit type of scenario, Isaiah is definitely better, but Collison is a better passer and looks more to set up others and with DMC, Gay, Nik S, Maclemore. We have enough shooters so having a score first PG isn't the priority

Aust
07-03-2014, 03:31 PM
I hear the Pistons are close to signing Isaiah. I'd like him in LA.

Nikeman
07-03-2014, 03:33 PM
Damnit, I really wanted Collison for Miami.

Screw you Kings, I hope you lose IT now and realize that IT for 8-9 million is way better than Collison for 5.5

Sadds The Gr8
07-03-2014, 04:25 PM
Can't believe sac is letting IT walk...he's an RFA so they have the leverage

JEDean89
07-03-2014, 05:00 PM
I was upset when the Kings scooped up my Nugget's ex assistant GM (when I wanted him for my team) but after passing on Vonleh for Stauskas (a guy who filled their rim protecting PF need in the best of ways for a guy who plays the same position as McLemore) and how he has treated Isiah Thomas (who, when playing next to a healthy Gay and Cousins actually formed a competitive team) has made me question his ability. they could have had thomas, mclemore, gay, vonleh and cousins, that starting 5 has literally everything (except elite defense but collison and stauskas don't have that either), and i just don't see what collison has done to be given so much over a guy who is literally the heart and soul of that Kings team. I would be pissed if I'm a Kings fan.

Sactown
07-03-2014, 05:23 PM
I was upset when the Kings scooped up my Nugget's ex assistant GM (when I wanted him for my team) but after passing on Vonleh for Stauskas (a guy who filled their rim protecting PF need in the best of ways for a guy who plays the same position as McLemore) and how he has treated Isiah Thomas (who, when playing next to a healthy Gay and Cousins actually formed a competitive team) has made me question his ability. they could have had thomas, mclemore, gay, vonleh and cousins, that starting 5 has literally everything (except elite defense but collison and stauskas don't have that either), and i just don't see what collison has done to be given so much over a guy who is literally the heart and soul of that Kings team. I would be pissed if I'm a Kings fan.

Personally I am not upset, every part of the Kings organization chose Stauskas over Vonleh from president to coaching staff... They clearly saw something we didn't and Vonleh is far from a finished product and could easily bust

As for Isaiah he showed a good 2/3 season this year but has been inconsistent through his career and showed major holes in his game when Cousins went down to injury.. I'm also not upset that we gave Collison a 3 year 16 Mil deal when Isaiah might find a 4 year 40 Mil deal and I would prefer the cap flexibility through the next 4 years

NBA_Starter
07-03-2014, 05:59 PM
That is a bargain in this market.

JLynn943
07-03-2014, 06:12 PM
Yep, I'm definitely not happy. Thomas has proven he's a very good point guard while Collison has proven to be unreliable. I'd much rather spend the little bit extra to keep Isaiah instead. Hopefully that is still what we do.

COOLbeans
07-03-2014, 06:16 PM
More Sterling backlash

PurpleLynch
07-03-2014, 06:38 PM
Thomas has all the respect I can give. Truly underrated and amazing point guard.If a contender team needs a point guard,just take him.

Mr.B
07-03-2014, 07:14 PM
Thomas has all the respect I can give. Truly underrated and amazing point guard.If a contender team needs a point guard,just take him.
Mavs are said to be interested in Thomas

Ezio
07-03-2014, 07:30 PM
Letting IT walk will be a mistake.

Sanjay
07-03-2014, 07:35 PM
I would rather have Thomas because of his heart and speed.

IversonIsKrazy
07-03-2014, 08:08 PM
CLippers lose a nice bench piece, Kings, not sure as to why they don't like Thomas.

True Sports Fan
07-03-2014, 08:17 PM
CLippers lose a nice bench piece, Kings, not sure as to why they don't like Thomas.

Because our FO is ****ing stupid.

flclfanman
07-04-2014, 05:50 AM
Happy the Pacers got trigger happy on CJ Miles. IT could have been a good fit if they're losing Lance.

Jarvo
07-04-2014, 10:23 AM
Do The Pacers have enough cap for Thomas?

Lakersfan30
07-04-2014, 10:40 AM
I guess they just gave up on Thomas? this is a bit of a downgrade IMO

billy17
07-04-2014, 01:06 PM
Its funny that people just assume the Kings dont like Isaiah, or gave up on him.. I just dont think hes their long term solution at PG for a 9-10mil/yr contract. The Kings are stacked w/ scoring ability, they dont need a score first PG. They need a guy that will fit into the system, defend, push the ball and mentor Ray Mccallum. Collison isnt the best option but he fits the mold.

NOT TO MENTION, when Jodie Meeks is getting 5/yr (shooter) and Avery Bradley is getting 8/yr (defender), Collison is a deal at 5.5/yr.

D'Alessandro sees his roster as assets, tell me Collison on that contract isnt a solid asset. Especially if he does get starters run w/ us, thats going to be a very moveable contract if it comes down to it.

With the team still young and building, the realistic goal being to reach .500 or better, a Collison/Mccallum platoon at PG isnt all that bad.

billy17
07-04-2014, 01:15 PM

Look beyond the surface brother, look what PDA has turned our roster into..

- Tyreke ---> Assets (incl. Vasquez)
- Assets (Salmons, Patterson, Vasquez) ---> Rudy Gay, Acy, Gray
- Thorntons ridiculous contract ---> Reggie Evans and Jason Terrys expiring (<-- Thats a f**king steal)
- Another drop in the draft lottery ---> Stauskas (playmaking knockdown shooter)

He hasnt disrespected anyone, he has no moral obligation to Isaiah in bringing him back, its a business.

Now I guarantee well get something in return for Isaiah and Id almost guarantee that Thompson and Terry will be moved before training camp. So explain to me how we should be pissed? Or why shouldnt be ecstatic we finally have a clued in front office that has an interest in building a team that competes?

smith&wesson
07-04-2014, 01:37 PM
so let me get this straight, the Kings took a pass on Greivis Vasquez, Isiah Thomas... but they look at Collison and see him as the pg of their future ? LMAO

At this point, im pretty confident that I could do a better job in their front office.

smith&wesson
07-04-2014, 01:46 PM
Look beyond the surface brother, look what PDA has turned our roster into..

- Tyreke ---> Assets (incl. Vasquez)
- Assets (Salmons, Patterson, Vasquez) ---> Rudy Gay, Acy, Gray
- Thorntons ridiculous contract ---> Reggie Evans and Jason Terrys expiring (<-- Thats a f**king steal)
- Another drop in the draft lottery ---> Stauskas (playmaking knockdown shooter)

He hasnt disrespected anyone, he has no moral obligation to Isaiah in bringing him back, its a business.

Now I guarantee well get something in return for Isaiah and Id almost guarantee that Thompson and Terry will be moved before training camp. So explain to me how we should be pissed? Or why shouldnt be ecstatic we finally have a clued in front office that has an interest in building a team that competes?

I dont understand why the kings didnt go after bledsoe

phx has dragic and just drafted ennis. Bledsoe wants a max deal which phx looks hesitant to give to him. Bledsoe/Cousins pairing would have been something to see, add rudy gay and you have a solid little core there.

but collison ? this guys been a back up pg for like 4 teams in the last 5 years... I dont see how he is any kind of upgrade to thomas or vasquez. just doesnt make any sense to me as to why the kings would target him..

M.Bibby2.0
07-04-2014, 02:14 PM

phx has dragic and just drafted ennis. Bledsoe wants a max deal which phx looks hesitant to give to him. Bledsoe/Cousins pairing would have been something to see, add rudy gay and you have a solid little core there.

but collison ? this guys been a back up pg for like 4 teams in the last 5 years... I dont see how he is any kind of upgrade to thomas or vasquez. just doesnt make any sense to me as to why the kings would target him..

You don't seem to understand what's going on here. The kings didn't trade in IT for DC. They acquired an additional asset, IT is still an asset for us because he's a RFA. We can S&T or match any offer he recieves, the FO may want to use him to upgrade a different position (PF).

Yes DC<IT but that doesn't mean he's a worse fit. We have tons of scorers and don't need a score first PG.

And why on earth would we, or anyone give Bledsoe a max deal? I would argue he's not even a top 10 PG, maybe not even top 15... I assure you, you would not be a better GM than PDA

Mochalman
07-04-2014, 02:22 PM

You say you could do a better job than their GM but you would give a max deal to Bledsoe? :laugh2:

billy17
07-04-2014, 03:05 PM
so let me get this straight, the Kings took a pass on Greivis Vasquez, Isiah Thomas... but they look at Collison and see him as the pg of their future ? LMAO

At this point, im pretty confident that I could do a better job in their front office.

Who ever said they view Collison as the PG of their future? He's on a fair backup contract anyways....

Fact is, they got a solid PG for a fair price. Malone coached him in his rookie year. PDA understands the need for high character and experienced players, and ASSESTS!

Isaiah hasn't even left yet!

JasonJohnHorn
07-04-2014, 03:05 PM
This is a good deal. It means they have a PG with a little more size and so can still play Thomas but not be as reliant on him on nights when bigger points guards create a match-up issue. And if Thomas signs elsewhere or gets traded, if give the Kings a legit starting point guard.

No knock on Thomas, but this is a good move for the Kings I think. Not the best point guard, but given their cap space situation, I'd say this is a pretty decent move.

In case the Rondo deal doesn't happen.