PDA

View Full Version : How good could Miami be if James leaves?

king4day
07-03-2014, 10:16 AM
I am asking this because the window for this question could close within the next week if they all re-sign.

Back in 2010 when Miami inked Bosh and Wade, I thought that team alone would be capable of going to the finals depending on the pieces they added.
While they would still have to fill out their roster, they would have 20-25mil in cap space this season to fit pieces in (Stephenson, Deng, Gasol, McRoberts, etc).

They could put together a team that could become a defensive force with depth and still be an attractive destination for free agents over the next few years.

Of course their success would still hinge on Wade but with the depth they would now have, he wouldn't be needed on the court at all times.

What's everyone's take on the potential future of a Heat team without LeBron?

I still believe they'd be a top 4 team in the East.

hugepatsfan
07-03-2014, 10:21 AM
They could still put together a team that could win the East IMO. They'd be totally dependent on Wade staying healthy though, which is no sure bet.

goingfor28
07-03-2014, 10:22 AM
Minus lebron they still make the playoffs, but I would say indiana, washington, chicago, toronto, and charlotte all finish ahead of them

ManRam
07-03-2014, 10:25 AM
Kinda hard to tell at this point. They'd need to fill out that roster, like you said, and currently there isn't much there. They literally have two guys under control: Cole and Justin Hamilton (TO).

"Back in 2010" and "2014-15" are quite different too. A Wade + Bosh duo isn't quite the same. Bosh hasn't really fallen off a ton so much as his role has changed, but Wade clearly is not the same guy.

Really making a prediction at this point is pointless. Depending on who else they sign I could see anything from maybe an 8th seed (Wade's health factoring into a worse case scenario) and maybe as high as a 4 seed.

But obviously it wouldn't be like LeBron leaving Cleveland where that team instantly because the worst in the league.

And if they ever squared up with a LeBron team, say if he went to Cleveland or something, I doubt they could beat him.

RateSports
07-03-2014, 10:25 AM
There is no way that a Lebron-less team could beat a Lebron team in the East.

nycericanguy
07-03-2014, 10:26 AM
If you had replaced LBJ's salary with say... Gortat & Lowry, they are probably still the best team in the East or at least right there... problem is, there aren't many FA's left to replace LBJ with.

NYKnickFanatic
07-03-2014, 10:40 AM
1st round exit. Wade can't carry a team and neither can Bosh.

ATX
07-03-2014, 10:43 AM
I'd hope they could for example land Deng, Gasol and a 6th man at the expense of James plus the remaning cap room that they have. Or they could hold onto some of that cap space for next offseason, when the FA pool is even deeper.

Napier 1M
Wade 12.5M
Deng 9M/Ariza 7M?
Bosh 15M
Gasol 9.5M

Could certainly be a contender in the East for the next few years.

InRoseWeTrust
07-03-2014, 10:46 AM
Assuming they fill out the roster correctly, Wade stays healthy, and they move Bosh back to a first option and play him in the spots he should be playing in, they can still be good (for the East). It's a lot of ifs though. But I think LeBron ultimately comes back on a shorter deal.

Dade County
07-03-2014, 10:47 AM
Wade, Bosh, Melo...

They go to the Final's again (but I have always stated this, even since last year).

SPURSFAN1
07-03-2014, 10:48 AM
Nice of you to come back ATX.

JWO35
07-03-2014, 10:48 AM
Wouldn't be able to beat the top teams in the East anymore in the playoffs...

pacofunk64
07-03-2014, 10:50 AM
Depending on who else they got and if Wade can stay somewhat healthy. Bosh could return to beast mode. This team could still be very good. Bosh has shown he can carry team.

ATX
07-03-2014, 11:02 AM
Nice of you to come back ATX.

You do realize that I live right up the road in Austin? I have been to tons of Spurs games in my life, starting back when I was a kid seeing the DRob and Elliot years. I have nothing but respect for the Spurs. I just became a Heat fan at a younger age. The vast majority of my friends are Spurs fans. I have nothing against the Spurs, just that I grew up a Heat fan is all. But thanks! :D

NYKnickFanatic
07-03-2014, 11:03 AM
Wade, Bosh, Melo...

They go to the Final's again (but I have always stated this, even since last year).

Melo wouldn't go to Miami if LeBron isn't there.

Burkey3472
07-03-2014, 11:04 AM
Depending on what other role players they brought in they could be a 50-45 win team. The problem is though to get to that mark Wade wouldn't be able to take random nights off to rest for the playoffs (along with the whole team towards the end of the season). They would most likely be a one and done or 2nd round playoff exit team because Wade would be so banged up from playing in the whole regular season. If they had the same plan for Wade where he missed 20 or so games to stay healthy they'd be 45-40 win team but a little more dangerous in the playoffs (not that they could win the east, just give a tougher series).

SPURSFAN1
07-03-2014, 11:08 AM
You do realize that I live right up the road in Austin? I have been to tons of Spurs games in my life, starting back when I was a kid seeing the DRob and Elliot years. I have nothing but respect for the Spurs. I just became a Heat fan at a younger age. The vast majority of my friends are Spurs fans. I have nothing against the Spurs, just that I grew up a Heat fan is all. But thanks! :D

Just seeing that you were doing well. Did people honk in Austin when the Spurs won?

nycericanguy
07-03-2014, 11:13 AM
The whole thing about Wade taking nights off is overblown. Even 50-60 games from Wade is enough. A lot of stars miss 15-20 games a year and their teams are still successful. CP3 played 62 games last year, Melo played 67 games in 2013 when NY won 54 games. Tony Parker only played 68 games... list goes on and on.'

PraiseJesus
07-03-2014, 11:29 AM
They would still make the eastern finals with a decent chance to make the finals

They will never beat the west in the finals however

Chronz
07-03-2014, 12:44 PM
I want Bron to leave just so people can see just how weak the Heat really are

SPURSFAN1
07-03-2014, 12:52 PM

That team is built around Lebron. It won't be the same if he leaves. 40 win team in the east.

bucketss
07-03-2014, 01:12 PM
use the money they had for lebron on good role players, plus make bosh the 1# option, they will be pretty good.

hugepatsfan
07-03-2014, 01:13 PM

Last years' Heat? Yeah, very weak without Lebron. But MIA is going to have better players around Wade/Bosh if Lebron leaves. They're not going to just replace him with scrubs.

SPURSFAN1
07-03-2014, 01:16 PM
Last years' Heat? Yeah, very weak without Lebron. But MIA is going to have better players around Wade/Bosh if Lebron leaves. They're not going to just replace him with scrubs.

And you think those "better players" amount to Lebron? Big drop off.

hugepatsfan
07-03-2014, 01:21 PM
And you think those "better players" amount to Lebron? Big drop off.

Obviously there will be a big drop off. I meant it won't be Wade/Bosh and just Chalmers, Cole, Birdman, Haslem, Lewis, Battier, Allen (though he's still solid) etc. It's not going to just be the same team as last year minus Lebron. They'll have a huge drop off from whoever is replacing Lebron but they'll upgrade other spots in the rotation. They'll be a much worse team but they won't be fighting for ping pong balls.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-03-2014, 01:27 PM
Depends what Miami signs if LeBron doesn't come back? There's no guarantee any other free agent sign minimum veteran contract there if LeBron goes elsewhere. You figure Wade cant carry a team by him self like he did back in 2006. He needs a couple days off here and there. But that got LeBron more ticked off cause he didn't always get enough help. The way free agency is going with big contracts and most guys staying with their own team. Miami be lucky to find undrafted guys to fill out the roster. Or way over pay for junk players. But even junk players going fast and getting paid well. Also believe Ray Allen said he goes where LeBron goes.

SPURSFAN1
07-03-2014, 01:28 PM
If history has been an indicator of what happens when your franchise guy leaves, they'll become a lottery team.

jerellh528
07-03-2014, 01:31 PM
I want bron to leave so people can see how strong Miami really is and how weak the east is.

Chronz
07-03-2014, 01:31 PM
The whole thing about Wade taking nights off is overblown. Even 50-60 games from Wade is enough. A lot of stars miss 15-20 games a year and their teams are still successful. CP3 played 62 games last year, Melo played 67 games in 2013 when NY won 54 games. Tony Parker only played 68 games... list goes on and on.'

Had CP3 missed that many games in years past, we would have suffered more. Also, look at what those players produce when they actually play, Wade doesn't impact the game like a CP3/Melo anymore, so durability is more important for him. And this is him taking so many games off with the best player in the world shouldering the load. Imagine Wade having to play 38-40MPG, being defended by the opposing teams best players too.

I think his efficiency would suffer drastically in such an environment.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-03-2014, 01:32 PM
If LeBron leaves and no sign and trade happens. Also if most big names like Bledsoe stays with Suns and Melo goes to Bulls or whatever. I can see the Heat just asset managing with the big capspace. They probably end up eating Boozer or Stoudemire for picks and/or young assets tossed in as sweeteners. They might have to if LeBron leaves.

Chronz
07-03-2014, 01:37 PM
We'll see who they add but I doubt Wade/Bosh take much of a paycut if Bron leaves.

That team is built around Lebron. It won't be the same if he leaves. 40 win team in the east.
Prolly still a playoff team but Im hoping the East is alil stronger this year.

I want bron to leave so people can see how strong Miami really is and how weak the east is.
Umm everyone already knows how weak the East is, theres plenty of measurable evidence to that. Let me know when theres even a shred of evidence that Miami is "strong" without Bron.

jerellh528
07-03-2014, 01:41 PM
Oh wait. I thought basketball was a team sport. One guy shouldn't have much impact and value of ring in rankings is ridiculous right? So one guy leaving shouldn't impact Miami that much. It is a team sport after all and rings are a product of the team but losing is the product of 1 man.

Chronz
07-03-2014, 01:48 PM
Oh wait. I thought basketball was a team sport. One guy shouldn't have much impact and value of ring in rankings is ridiculous right? So one guy leaving shouldn't impact Miami that much. It is a team sport after all and rings are a product of the team but losing is the product of 1 man.

High individual Impact =/= team championship.

This is elementary level stuff bro

SPURSFAN1
07-03-2014, 01:49 PM
When a player is making 20 mil and another is making 1mil, I hold both to two standards. I just hope people can understand this. And we all know Lebron is worth at least 30mil on any given team. I expect Lebron to play great and not just in the box score. I expect him to take the last shot and not pass it off to an inferior player. It's just the way it is. Basketball is probably the only sport where an individual can "greatly" impact the game. When the Heat loses, it should fall on Lebron's shoulders.

jerellh528
07-03-2014, 01:57 PM
When a player is making 20 mil and another is making 1mil, I hold both to two standards. I just hope people can understand this. And we all know Lebron is worth at least 30mil on any given team. I expect Lebron to play great and not just in the box score. I expect him to take the last shot and not pass it off to an inferior player. It's just the way it is. Basketball is probably the only sport where an individual can "greatly" impact the game. When the Heat loses, it should fall on Lebron's shoulders.

No way. The individual doesn't highly impact anything. Therefore using team success like rings or team failure like never getting to the playoffs shouldn't be held in regards when ranking any great player.

jaydubb
07-03-2014, 01:59 PM
6th or 7th seed and first round exits in playoffs.. They'd still make playoffs (because they are in a very weak conference) but there will be a huge dropoff of how good they would be without lebron.

Nikeman
07-03-2014, 02:04 PM
If James leaves, I think Miami should blow it up and rebuild to be honest.

Offer Wade/Bosh their 2 years 40 million remaining, basically get them back on their original deals to be fair, and then sign some high quality young talent with James' 21 million we had, a Lance Stephenson and Greg Monroe or something along those lines.

When James signs elesewhere, make sure it is a S&T and we can get some type of quality assets back, such as picks or some young players.

SPURSFAN1
07-03-2014, 02:06 PM
I would like to see Lebron with the hawks. This reminds me of how the spurs work. You usually don't hear it until it actually happens. The hawks work the same way nowadays. The heat are still lebrons best bet at going back to the finals though, but they hope they don't see the spurs again. The spurs are the only team with a designated ball stopper in Kawhi.

Nikeman
07-03-2014, 02:06 PM

Yeah, because LeBron can control the fact that Wade wouldn't even run back on defense and make an half *** attempt to guard Danny Green or Manu.

LeBron can control the fact that Chris Bosh doesn't care to do anything except shoot 3's on offense.

LeBron can control the fact that Chalmers could not hit a shot in the series.

You are right man, LeBron should have taken everything on his shoulders, shot every shot we got, scored 85 points a game by himself, and on defense, single handedly shut down the Spurs.

bucketss
07-03-2014, 02:20 PM

true but lebron is one of the greatest impact players in nba histroy thats why he will go down as a top 5 g.o.a.t

SPURSFAN1
07-03-2014, 02:21 PM
Yeah, because LeBron can control the fact that Wade wouldn't even run back on defense and make an half *** attempt to guard Danny Green or Manu.

LeBron can control the fact that Chris Bosh doesn't care to do anything except shoot 3's on offense.

LeBron can control the fact that Chalmers could not hit a shot in the series.

You are right man, LeBron should have taken everything on his shoulders, shot every shot we got, scored 85 points a game by himself, and on defense, single handedly shut down the Spurs.

First of, he can tell wade to play freaking defense or go to the freaking bench. Don't think for a second lebron can't do that since he's not the coach.

Second, the team is made to space the floor so lebron can drive to the basket. It's lebron's fault he can't demand a double team when he drives.

Third, it's lebron's fault since chalmers is just a three point shooter because lebron is a point forward. He pretty much alienates chalmers strengths as a point guard. And chalmers gets paid *** so I don't hold that guy to any standards other than to just bring up the ball fisher style.

It is Lebron's fault they get blown out by 20 points by the first half. A lot of these problems are made by Lebron besides wade playing like chit. One or two players can play bad and it'll still be a competitive game a la tony parker. Lebron just couldn't bring it and the heat lost.

ghettosean
07-03-2014, 02:25 PM
use the money they had for lebron on good role players, plus make bosh the 1# option, they will be pretty good.

This!!!

I'm not saying they would make the finals but a good team could be built around Bosh... He's very under appreciated on PSD but he can put up big numbers when called upon right now he's just playing the role they want him to play on the heat make him number 1 and he'd look like a completely different player.

Nikeman
07-03-2014, 02:25 PM
First of, he can tell wade to play freaking defense or go to the freaking bench. Don't think for a second lebron can't do that since he's not the coach.

Second, the team is made to space the floor so lebron can drive to the basket. It's lebron's fault he can't demand a double team when he drives.

Third, it's lebron's fault since chalmers is just a three point shooter because lebron is a point forward. He pretty much alienates chalmers strengths as a point guard. And chalmers gets paid *** so I don't hold that guy to any standards other than to just bring up the ball fisher style.

It is Lebron's fault they get blown out by 20 points by the first half. A lot of these problems are made by Lebron besides wade playing like chit. One or two players can play bad and it'll still be a competitive game a la tony parker. Lebron just couldn't bring it and the heat lost.

Uhm, I am not going to argue with you anymore, you are not worth my time.

Enjoy your Title and stop saying such stupid things

SPURSFAN1
07-03-2014, 02:27 PM
Uhm, I am not going to argue with you anymore, you are not worth my time.

Enjoy your Title and stop saying such stupid things

:laugh:

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-03-2014, 02:29 PM
Earlier, Sam Amico of Fox Sports provided details on the deal Bosh is seeking with the Heat:

Miami Heat big man Chris Bosh is seeking a contract that will pay him $90 million over five years, a source dialed in with Bosh's thinking told FOX Sports Ohio on Wednesday. Bosh is negotiating with the Heat, but no deal is done yet, the source said.

Amico isn't that good of a source but posted it anyway. Also Bleacher report meh.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2116302-chris-bosh-rumors-latest-buzz-and-speculation-surrounding-free-agent-star?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national2

Nikeman
07-03-2014, 02:30 PM

Yeah, its perfectly reasonable for LeBron to send Dwyane Wade to the bench, do you hear yourself? Dumbest thing I've ever read on this site.

And Chalmers got paid 4 million, and the sad part is when he did dribble the ball up the court, he'd think he's some super hero and turn the ball over

SPURSFAN1
07-03-2014, 02:35 PM
Yeah, its perfectly reasonable for LeBron to send Dwyane Wade to the bench, do you hear yourself? Dumbest thing I've ever read on this site.

And Chalmers got paid 4 million, and the sad part is when he did dribble the ball up the court, he'd think he's some super hero and turn the ball over

When Lebron, the best player in the world, is being destroyed by a player still on his rookie contract, you know you're not going to win

Nikeman
07-03-2014, 02:41 PM
When Lebron, the best player in the world, is being destroyed by a player still on his rookie contract, you know you're not going to win

The same player on the rookie contract who didn't show up the 1st two games?? One of the weakest finals MVP's of all time?

LeBron wasn't destroyed by anyone.

The Miami HEAT was destroyed by the Spurs

MinnesotaFtw
07-03-2014, 02:43 PM

And Chalmers got paid 4 million, and the sad part is when he did dribble the ball up the court, he'd think he's some super hero and turn the ball over He thought he was super mario

RazzleDazzle
07-03-2014, 02:45 PM

Lebron wasn't getting destroyed. The Heat were, collectively.

if anything, Lebron was the only one putting up a fight in the entire series TBH.

SPURSFAN1
07-03-2014, 02:45 PM
The same player on the rookie contract who didn't show up the 1st two games?? One of the weakest finals MVP's of all time?

LeBron wasn't destroyed by anyone.

The Miami HEAT was destroyed by the Spurs

If you think Lebron is beyond criticism, you are gladly mistaken.

Might I add that Lebron turned it over a sh..it ton this series too.*

ILLUSIONIST^248
07-03-2014, 03:12 PM
Second seed

hugepatsfan
07-03-2014, 03:22 PM
You don't judge all players the same. You judge them based on what they are capable of. Lebron is capable of more than any other player in the NBA so he should be judged more harshly than anyone else. That doesn't mean it is 100% his fault when they lose but it means he's held to a higher standard than everyone else. People think that's "hating" (and it is if you take it too far), but it's actually an acknowledgement of how good he is to judge him tougher.

sportsfan222
07-03-2014, 03:58 PM
minus lebron? they r terrible.

wade can not carry a team anymore, they would lose a majority of there players not under contract who would have prob comeback for cheap to play with lebron and go for another ring, etc.

the only reason playing on the heat right now is attractive, is because of lebron.

also, if lebron left, odds r bosh leaves as well, this could be cleveland 2010-2011 season all over again.

that being said, very unlikely he leaves

tredigs
07-03-2014, 04:45 PM
Bosh is a better player than he was in Toronto, don't let the lack of 20/10(!) fool you. Wade would still need to be limited, but, regardless of his weak Finals he's still one of the best offensive players in the game when he's on the court. If LBJ leaves AND Bosh/Wade stay? Then it would depend on what pieces they can get to fill the voids, but that's the makings of an Eastern Conference contender without a doubt. Key word: Eastern Conference. Even with LBJ they would have likely been ousted well before the Finals if they played in the West last season.

Tony_Starks
07-03-2014, 04:51 PM
In the east? About as good as they were with him. Good enough to get to the finals and lose to whoever comes out the West....

NBA_Starter
07-03-2014, 04:53 PM
A middle of the pack team.

Ty Fast
07-03-2014, 07:13 PM
depends how free agency plays out. if bron and melo went west then the east is wide open.

NBA_Starter
07-03-2014, 07:18 PM
depends how free agency plays out. if bron and melo went west then the east is wide open.

It depends on who the Heat got but doubtful they would still be in the hunt in the East realistically.

Sanjay
07-03-2014, 07:49 PM

If Le Bron and Carmelo go to the west I would rank the Heat 7th at best

IversonIsKrazy
07-03-2014, 08:03 PM
Its pretty difficult to judge considering they practically have no set roster right now. I miean, considering Lowry Gortat have already been signed, and of what's available and realistic, I don't think Miami can stay a great team without LeBron. Maybe bottom pack of east playoffs, 1st round exit. If Wade is ur best player, u will not be good anymore.

tr3ymill3r
07-03-2014, 08:05 PM
Not very.

3ballbomber
07-03-2014, 09:32 PM
If Miami can finally balance out the team w/ a proper Center & Point guard imo they can still take the top spot in the East. For fans post Big 3 era should know since Shaq left Miami have struggled to properly address the 1 & 5 spot. I've always thought all Wade needed was for Riley to properly address those spots + depth and they can be a solid team. Riley thought having Lebron, Bosh & Wade would negate the lack of presence in the middle and proper pg.....obviously in the long run they were exposed BIG TIME!

If Lebron was to leave they would be dependent on Wade once more. Prior to the Big 3 Wade carried Miami since 2003. W/ his knees, is he able to be even 80% of what he used to be? We know he's a great leader and a great 'will' type of player, but w/ his abilities reliant on his body being healthy, will he be able to be as effective & lethal like he was in the past? Many forget Flash, he's just taken a back seat to Lebron being forced to sacrifice his game & in turn his game suffered. If he can reinvent himself the way Jordan & Kobe did in the later stages of their career i have faith that Wade can be lethal for at least 2 more seasons. But it's going to be all on him. to me it seems he focuses on his healthy knees over sharpening his jumpshots or retooling his game.

raiderfaninTX
07-03-2014, 09:42 PM
6-8 seed

and out in first round, never to sniff the finals again if lebron is still in the east.

3ballbomber
07-03-2014, 09:43 PM
I'd hope they could for example land Deng, Gasol and a 6th man at the expense of James plus the remaning cap room that they have. Or they could hold onto some of that cap space for next offseason, when the FA pool is even deeper.

Napier 1M
Wade 12.5M
Deng 9M/Ariza 7M?
Bosh 15M
Gasol 9.5M

i could never see Deng do a Ray Allen......but that would be a nice team right there - a ton of playoffs & Finals experience!!! The ball would move more and chemistry would be alot better.

Chronz
07-04-2014, 01:45 AM
Bosh is a better player than he was in Toronto, don't let the lack of 20/10(!) fool you. Wade would still need to be limited, but, regardless of his weak Finals he's still one of the best offensive players in the game when he's on the court. If LBJ leaves AND Bosh/Wade stay? Then it would depend on what pieces they can get to fill the voids, but that's the makings of an Eastern Conference contender without a doubt. Key word: Eastern Conference. Even with LBJ they would have likely been ousted well before the Finals if they played in the West last season.

Bosh is more or less the same, his defense and efficiency would suffer dramatically without Bron around to free him up, hes already admitted he doesn't like to bang on the blocks so I highly doubt Bosh would be able to pick up the same slack he once could.

Wade's stats are decent but thats with him resting and getting every favorable advantage that would not exist without Bron.

Eastern Conference contender doesn't tell us anything, in terms of wins/efficiency, there would be a dramatic dropoff. To the point where considering them a contender in any sense is foolish.

TheIlladelph16
07-04-2014, 01:57 AM
Anywhere from a 4 to 7 seed in the East if they put together a similar roster to last year minus Lebron. Likely a first round knockout.

Mr.B
07-04-2014, 05:14 AM
If Labron left they actually could rebuild the roster fairly quickly. It would take a couple of seasons though. Some feelings would need to get hurt too. Wade would need to understand that at this point in his career he would be better suited as a 6th man. He would need to get with that program or get on down the road. They would obviously need to find a replacement. They likely won't be to find someone as good as Wade was during his championship run but they can still find some that's really good. Especially with the money they saved from. Ot resigning Labron. Bosh would be better suited as a second option.

flclfanman
07-04-2014, 05:52 AM
Could still make the playoffs, but no more than a 2nd round exit. Wade is crumbling and Bosh might bolt for Max money somewhere. Also they have no bench (Norris Cole doesn't really count).

Crackadalic
07-04-2014, 06:41 AM
Could still make the playoffs, but no more than a 2nd round exit. Wade is crumbling and Bosh might bolt for Max money somewhere. Also they have no bench (Norris Cole doesn't really count).

Napier 1M
Wade 12.5M
Deng 9M/Ariza 7M?
Bosh 15M
Gasol 9.5M

Bosh is pretty much your best player on that team. That's a borderline 50 win team they can make the conference finals. Idk about finals apperence. You still have the bulls and pacers who have chemistry where this heat team would have too many new players to make a serious run