PDA

View Full Version : Kobe Bryant takes shot at Hornets for trading him 18 years ago

NYKnickFanatic
07-02-2014, 09:19 AM

When it comes to Kobe and people try to bash him, they always bring up that he forced his way out of Charlotte. So I guess he didn't force his way to the Lakers like everyone says? :confused:

IndyRealist
07-02-2014, 09:34 AM
The "refusing to play for anyone but the Lakers" drama came from his agent, not specifically from Kobe. He may have never actually heard his agent say that "Kobe would go to play in Italy if he wasn't on the Lakers."

king4day
07-02-2014, 10:58 AM
"the hornets told me right after they drafted me that they had no use for me and were going to trade me"

I don't buy that at all. To tell a player they had no use for him? Maybe that's what he took from it but it's a pretty dick thing to say.

ILLUSIONIST^248
07-02-2014, 12:28 PM
:win:

RLundi
07-02-2014, 12:35 PM

:rolleyes:

Tony_Starks
07-02-2014, 12:36 PM

When it comes to Kobe and people try to bash him, they always bring up that he forced his way out of Charlotte. So I guess he didn't force his way to the Lakers like everyone says? :confused:

That was the best fairy tale the haters could come up with. And of course the sheep that didnt like him anyway ate it up.

That all stems from a bitter ex-agent. That's almost as bad as believing a baby momma......

GREATNESS ONE
07-02-2014, 12:41 PM
Baby Momma Drama

ILLUSIONIST^248
07-02-2014, 12:57 PM

:rolleyes:

What's up lundi, been awhile

Chronz
07-02-2014, 01:03 PM
Wait, how does this change anything?

That was the best fairy tale the haters could come up with. And of course the sheep that didnt like him anyway ate it up.

That all stems from a bitter ex-agent. That's almost as bad as believing a baby momma......
Wait, you think the story is limited to a single agent and not multiple execs within the NBA? Kobes family and Jerry West were all involved as well.

Sheep indeed .

thaShady
07-02-2014, 01:08 PM
On this day 11 years ago, Kate Faber told me right after she met me that she didn't want to have sex with me.

mavwar53
07-02-2014, 01:08 PM
What a chump, all I get from this tweet is that Kobe is jealous of all the attention focused on big FA's and since he was injured all year and he's up there in age so no one is talking about his comback this year, at the same time he's mad no one wants to come to the lakers.

Jealous attention seeking baby.

nickdymez
07-02-2014, 01:17 PM
Wait, how does this change anything?

Wait, you think the story is limited to a single agent and not multiple execs within the NBA? Kobes family and Jerry West were all involved as well.

Sheep indeed .
Your Kobe hate oozes out your system

nickdymez
07-02-2014, 01:18 PM
What a chump, all I get from this tweet is that Kobe is jealous of all the attention focused on big FA's and since he was injured all year and he's up there in age so no one is talking about his comback this year, at the same time he's mad no one wants to come to the lakers.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] That's what you got?

ManRam
07-02-2014, 01:20 PM
Why does he still even care? Regardless of whether or not his point is true (it's not), he's blessed that he was traded to LAL.

Tony_Starks
07-02-2014, 01:21 PM

Yeah, totally.

Tony_Starks
07-02-2014, 01:25 PM
Why does he still even care? Regardless of whether or not his point is true (it's not), he's blessed that he was traded to LAL.

Lol. I love how you cleverly throw in (its not) like you actually know. Tell me where Hoffa is buried while your at it....

ManRam
07-02-2014, 01:32 PM
Lol. I love how you cleverly throw in (its not) like you actually know. Tell me where Hoffa is buried while your at it....

I just don't think it matters. I think all the evidence in the world has supported that at the very least he was never drafted by Charlotte to actually play for Charlotte. Whether he orchestrated it, West/LAL orchestrated it or what...his rights were always always in LAL's hands. LAL went out and got him, that's all there is to it.

I just don't get why, again, he cares. If you-know-who made a tweet like this we know how the posters who made posts 4, 6 and 12 would respond. It's just a bizarre tweet. Does he still hold a grudge? Why did he ever hold a grudge? It was the best thing that could have ever happened to him.

nickdymez
07-02-2014, 01:34 PM
He didn't say it for nothing. It was the anniversary of him being drafted. This is why I can't take people here seriously in Kobe debates. You guys are gonna hate anything he does or says.

AIRMAR72
07-02-2014, 01:38 PM
Why does he still even care? Regardless of whether or not his point is true (it's not), he's blessed that he was traded to LAL. this guy kobe is such a FAKE!! ratface punk tobe knows what happened he wanted to play with shaq and wanted to play a role like penny with shaq throwing lobs etc he had the the opportunity to play with the GREAT Alonzo Mourning and larry Johnson company etc. kobe Bryant since day 1 wanted to be laker and for him its was his dream along with is dad to play for the purple and gold

ManRam
07-02-2014, 01:39 PM
He didn't say it for nothing. It was the anniversary of him being drafted. This is why I can't take people here seriously in Kobe debates. You guys are gonna hate anything he does or says.

I didn't say I hated it. I said I'm confused. He should be happy! Not grudge-holding.

It's the best thing that could have ever happened to him. You disagree with that?

JLynn943
07-02-2014, 01:41 PM
Yeah, I'm sure that's what was said. :rolleyes: He was drafted and traded. It happens all the time. There's no reason for the team to say anything other than that they are trading you.

Chronz
07-02-2014, 01:42 PM
Nope I love kobe
I'm just not in love with him

Ur comment should be reserved for those who are expressing emotion as opposed to citing facts

nickdymez
07-02-2014, 01:42 PM
I didn't say I hated it. I said I'm confused. He should be happy! Not grudge-holding.

It's the best thing that could have ever happened to him. You disagree with that?
He was happy. Did you see the pictures along with it? Did you bother to read the whole quote?

Bruno
07-02-2014, 01:43 PM
this guy kobe is such a FAKE!! ratface punk tobe knows what happened he wanted to play with shaq and wanted to play a role like penny with shaq throwing lobs etc he had the the opportunity to play with the GREAT Alonzo Mourning and larry Johnson company etc. kobe Bryant since day 1 wanted to be laker and for him its was his dream along with is dad to play for the purple and gold

check your facts AIRMAR. Kobe Bryant was traded to the Lakers on July 11th 1996. Shaq signed on July 18th a full week later.

how could Kobe have forced his way into playing with Shaq if Shaq wasn't even on the team yet??

nickdymez
07-02-2014, 01:48 PM
Nope I love kobe

Ur comment should be reserved for those who are expressing emotion as opposed to citing facts
What fact did you state?

ManRam
07-02-2014, 01:49 PM
He was happy. Did you see the pictures along with it? Did you bother to read the whole quote?

What picture and quote? All I've seen is the tweet. He was and should be happy, but it's still a dig at the Hornets for something that happened 18 years ago. It's just meh.

nickdymez
07-02-2014, 01:50 PM
What picture and quote? All I've seen is the tweet. He was and should be happy, but it's still a dig at the Hornets for something that happened 18 years ago. It's just meh.
Ok fine. Lol

ManRam
07-02-2014, 01:51 PM
Ok fine. Lol

I was hoping you could share it with me.

bucketss
07-02-2014, 01:52 PM
i really don't believe this, hes just trying make himself look good. big time douche move from kobe,

nickdymez
07-02-2014, 01:55 PM
i really don't believe this, hes just trying make himself look good. big time douche move from kobe,
See what I mean....

mike_noodles
07-02-2014, 01:55 PM
Not buying it Kobe

ManRam
07-02-2014, 01:56 PM
See what I mean....

Well, he's the Illusionist of Heat fans, so it's to be expected.

Seriously tho, I'd like to see this picture and quote you speak of.

beasted86
07-02-2014, 02:05 PM

So what about the turtle that pokes it's head out 18 years later for apparently no real reason?

Kobe seems insecure and wants to remain relevant. One way or another, I don't believe him or his agent.

ILLUSIONIST^248
07-02-2014, 02:06 PM
Nope I love kobe

Lol comedy gold.

NYKnickFanatic
07-02-2014, 02:07 PM
I was hoping you could share it with me.

Posted on his instagram.

http://photos-d.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xap1/10488705_627763350664363_890413845_n.jpg

On this day 18yrs ago the hornets told me right after they drafted me that they had no use for me and were going to trade me. #thanku #Believe #usmnt #lakers #jwest #drbuss #letsGo #USA

ManRam
07-02-2014, 02:10 PM
Posted on his instagram.

http://photos-d.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xap1/10488705_627763350664363_890413845_n.jpg

Aha. Gracias. Cool pic.

Not sure why he had to prod Charlotte, but it's a pretty damn harmless offense.

Tony_Starks
07-02-2014, 02:10 PM
See what I mean....

Can't take that guy seriously. His hate runs pretty deep. Kobe could win the Nobel peace prize and he would probably say it was staged.....

Tony_Starks
07-02-2014, 02:15 PM
Aha. Gracias. Cool pic.

Not sure why he had to prod Charlotte, but it's a pretty damn harmless offense.

Did not MJ take the guy who was picked over him for his high school basketball team to his HOF speech? Like what over 30 years later? why does HE still care?

These things aren't unheard of man, the great players use these slights as motivation.

bucketss
07-02-2014, 02:20 PM
Can't take that guy seriously. His hate runs pretty deep. Kobe could win the Nobel peace prize and he would probably say it was staged.....

i actually don't hate kobe, but some of you kobe fans have admitted to hating lebron. which is dumb, kobe doesn't deserve my hate.

bucketss
07-02-2014, 02:22 PM
Not buying it Kobe

lol me to, people are so gullible.

ThuglifeJ
07-02-2014, 02:25 PM
Kobe is one cocky SOB but gotta love the guy and everything he's given us

Chronz
07-02-2014, 02:32 PM
What fact did you state?
A well known one about kobes Draft manipulation. Don't know why it offends u fanatics

ManRam
07-02-2014, 02:33 PM
Did not MJ take the guy who was picked over him for his high school basketball team to his HOF speech? Like what over 30 years later? why does HE still care?

These things aren't unheard of man, the great players use these slights as motivation.

MJ caught a lot of deserved flack for that.

But yeah, whatever you need to motivate you, I guess. If he's held that grudge, so be it. It's just a bit odd. Especially, again, because I don't think it was ever a case of Charlotte scoffing at Kobe.

Chronz
07-02-2014, 02:34 PM
Lol comedy gold.
Lol X 2

nickdymez
07-02-2014, 02:39 PM
A well known one about kobes Draft manipulation. Don't know why it offends u fanatics
Lmao. Stop bro

naps
07-02-2014, 02:40 PM
What a jerk. Once a douche always a douche. No way a professional organization would say something like "We have no use of you" after drafting a high school kid. Liar.

FriedTofuz
07-02-2014, 02:42 PM
LOL Kobe is lying. He did want to be a Laker and no organization would phrase such a classless way of saying they dont need you on the team.

ThuglifeJ
07-02-2014, 02:52 PM
Lol y is this turning into a deal on here. So PSD. Who cares. Stop over analyzing everything. Ppl always call out the ppl who didn't believe they'd amount to anything. Its not odd or something new. Its funny and someone proving another wrong.

Tony_Starks
07-02-2014, 02:55 PM
Pretty sure Kobe is using hyperbole there. I do know that coach Calipari ( Nets coach at the time) said that he could've had Kobe but choose Kittles because he was proven, while Kobe was basically a wild card.

One could conclude that was probably the prevailing thought among most GMs, unless of course you believe coach Cal was a part of the mythical Kobe to Lakers conspiracy too.....

( Kobe also worked out for the Celtics btw, yet another hole in the conspiracy theory)

Kevj77
07-02-2014, 03:05 PM
check your facts AIRMAR. Kobe Bryant was traded to the Lakers on July 11th 1996. Shaq signed on July 18th a full week later.

how could Kobe have forced his way into playing with Shaq if Shaq wasn't even on the team yet??True. Jerry West had made no secret he wanted Kobe, but this trade served a duel purpose it was a salary dump by trading their starting center Divac in order to attempt to sign Shaq. Without that extra money who knows if LA even gets Shaq. Just focusing on Jerry West for a second what a ballsy move trading your starting C for a high school rookie with no guarantee Shaq will sign.

Avenged
07-02-2014, 03:39 PM

That's what you got out of it? :laugh2:

Chronz
07-02-2014, 03:59 PM
Pretty sure Kobe is using hyperbole there. I do know that coach Calipari ( Nets coach at the time) said that he could've had Kobe but choose Kittles because he was proven, while Kobe was basically a wild card.
Why leave out the part where Kobe and Tellem called him up before the draft to threaten playing in Italy rather than NJ, how the owners feared that Kobe would leave them for a bigger market first chance he got, even Jerry West got involved in them not drafting Kobe.

One could conclude that was probably the prevailing thought among most GMs, unless of course you believe coach Cal was a part of the mythical Kobe to Lakers conspiracy too.....
HUH?

( Kobe also worked out for the Celtics btw, yet another hole in the conspiracy theory)
Sounds more like you dont understand whats been said. Kobe didn't force his way to LA, Kobe forced his way to a big market. There were numerous teams he might have played for but only if they fit his criteria. It was all about marketing his brand.

Tony_Starks
07-02-2014, 04:04 PM
Why leave out the part where Kobe and Tellem called him up before the draft to threaten playing in Italy rather than NJ.

HUH?

Sounds more like you dont understand whats been said. Kobe didn't force his way to LA, Kobe forced his way to a big market. There were numerous teams he might have played for but only if they fit his criteria. It was all about marketing his brand.

What proof is there that such a call took place sir? Because bitter ex agent Tellem says so? Even though everyone else involved denies it? Oh ok......

And FYI people ARE saying Kobe forced his way to LA. Some knucklehead even said because he wanted to play with Shaq who wasn't even there yet....

Chronz
07-02-2014, 04:11 PM
What proof is there that such a call took place sir?
Multiple execs within the NBA have already admitted to it. Including Calipari AND Jerry West themselves. Do you really know so little about your hero?

Because bitter ex agent Tellem says so? Even though everyone else involved denies it? Oh ok......

LMFAO

Tony_Starks
07-02-2014, 04:15 PM
Multiple execs within the NBA have already admitted to it. Including Calipari AND Jerry West themselves. Do you really know so little about your hero?

LMFAO

Instead of gossip and fairy tales a link or two would suffice.

And my hero is Malchom X.

Kevj77
07-02-2014, 04:26 PM

And my hero is Malchom X.I've read the article Calipari said he was talked out of drafting Kobe because he didn't want to play in NJ by Kobe's agent and Jerry West. It was him making excuses for how bad he failed in NJ.

Kobe wasn't going to play in Italy. It is revisionist history with an agenda.

Chronz
07-02-2014, 04:39 PM

I could say the same to you, who gave you all this misinformation? At least in my situation, I actually know what I'm talking about.
Do I really need to provide all the grunt work? Just google that ****.

Heres all the effort Im willing to put in.

Source: ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/columns/story?id=6255802)
"Everybody knows I was talked out of that," Calipari said of his desire to select Bryant, and not the Villanova guard he did draft, Kerry Kittles.

Source: Jerry West - By Lazenby

“Jerry wanted Kobe, so he basically called up and talked Cal out of drafting Kobe,” explained Hal Wiseel, who was with the Nets at the time. West encouraged the Bryant family to talk to Calipari and explain that their son really wanted to play for the Lakers. “He knew if we didn’t take him at eight, he’d drop to Charlotte, and he could make the deal with Charlotte,” Wissel recalled. “Cal was young in the league and, hey, it’s Jerry West on the phone.”

So according to you, "EVERYONE else involved" denies it all, yet the guy DIRECTLY involved, is not only admitting it personally, but saying EVERYONE else knows as well? How could you be so emphatic about something you know so little about? Thats a pretty big rock to be living under. This kind of stuff is what makes people question the integrity of Kobe fans. Its not a big deal, why rewrite history if its of little consequence? Kobe's legacy is still safe. Nobody cares that he maneuvered his way to LA, lots of stars have.

Chronz
07-02-2014, 04:46 PM
Kobe wasn't going to play in Italy. It is revisionist history with an agenda.
How can it be revisionist history when it was an actual occurrence? Whether or not Kobe would have held firm with his threat isn't the issue, its the FACT that he and his camp sent that through and that the owners within the Nets have all confirmed the threat. Some of them wanted to call Kobe on his bluff, others felt he would leave first chance he got anyways. Ultimately, the Nets were swindled out of superstar.

Hawkamania
07-02-2014, 04:53 PM

This sums up exactly how I feel about the situation as well.

NYCkid12
07-02-2014, 04:54 PM

Apparently not enough to spell his name correctly....

RowBTrice
07-02-2014, 04:55 PM
Instead of taking shots at other teams, maybe Kobe will one day be healthy enough to actually take shots on the floor again...........

Tony_Starks
07-02-2014, 05:15 PM
Instead of taking shots at other teams, maybe Kobe will one day be healthy enough to actually take shots on the floor again...........

That's true. After all he does have a legacy to create.

todu82
07-02-2014, 05:35 PM
Don't buy this. Kobe forced his way out of Charlotte, it's all on him, not the Hornets.

Bruno
07-02-2014, 06:06 PM
Chronz wouldn't have Charlotte been eligible to hold onto Kobes rights for several years? i know that by the time the rubio thing happened in 2009- if a player is playing professionally overseas the team who drafts them holds their rights for three years. the player has to sit out of any professional competition in order to be eligible again in the following years draft. i guess thats a CBA question.

NBA_Starter
07-02-2014, 06:17 PM
Its his lie let him tell it how it wants. He and his agent manipulated their way to the Lakers.

Chronz
07-02-2014, 06:33 PM
Chronz wouldn't have Charlotte been eligible to hold onto Kobes rights for several years? i know that by the time the rubio thing happened in 2009- if a player is playing professionally overseas the team who drafts them holds their rights for three years. the player has to sit out of any professional competition in order to be eligible again in the following years draft. i guess thats a CBA question.

Yeah. You also might have to negotiate buyouts to get a player back sooner. I doubt Kobe would have gone through with it but he had the prerequisite background to have you think about it, at the very least it makes it a trickier decision to draft the teen diva.

NBA_Starter
07-02-2014, 07:12 PM
If we had kept him I don't think the team would have ever left but then again we would have gone through a headache just to keep him.

Jamiecballer
07-02-2014, 09:15 PM
This is the one part of MJs game Kobe actually perfected. Making things up and then using it to motivate himself.

NBA_Starter
07-02-2014, 09:40 PM
^He's always been a *****.

AIRMAR72
07-02-2014, 10:09 PM

how could Kobe have forced his way into playing with Shaq if Shaq wasn't even on the team yet??
Yes your right Kobe was traded for divac( da flop inventor N master) but Charlotte Hornets WANTED Kobe BADLY with muggs pushing the ball ZO in the paint Larry Johnson at the elbow a young athletic kobe was missing piece the hype for Kobe was strong back than it the make lebron hype look like a welfare case Hornets ended up with Bobby Phyilis from the pacer 6"6 SG who was VERY skilled N athletic with a GREAT NBA body and potential but he sadly died wrecking his 911 turbo on rainy day in North Carolina

NBA_Starter
07-02-2014, 10:15 PM
Yes your right Kobe was traded for divac( da flop inventor N master) but Charlotte Hornets WANTED Kobe BADLY with muggs pushing the ball ZO in the paint Larry Johnson at the elbow a young athletic kobe was missing piece the hype for Kobe was strong back than it the make lebron hype look like a welfare case Hornets ended up with Bobby Phyilis from the pacer 6"6 SG who was VERY skilled N athletic with a GREAT NBA body and potential but he sadly died wrecking his 911 turbo on rainy day in North Carolina

Yes, we wanted him badly but he didn't want us sadly.:(

slashsnake
07-02-2014, 10:26 PM
Yes, we wanted him badly but he didn't want us sadly.:(

Calipari really wanted him in NJ as well, and was scared off by Kobe's threats to play overseas.

basketfan4life
07-03-2014, 03:03 AM
Nope I love kobe

I have never seen you as a hater. You always come up with things that are logical and reasonable to you. Whether i agree with it or not.

So coming out and saying you are a Kobe hater is a bit immature.

jmaest
07-03-2014, 10:42 AM

This is exactly right. I know that there are some Laker fans who are playing revisionist history on this but Kobe absolutely forced his way onto the Lakers AND everyone knew Shaq was going to be a Laker. It was not a secret. The fact that the draft and the signing was only a week apart is misleading. Shaq and the Lakers were a well known "done deal" long before the season even ended. It was the worst secret ever really...

Wade n Fade
07-03-2014, 10:53 AM
Sorry Kome, that was the old Charlotte Hornets in the 90s, not MJ's Hornets/old Bobcats. I guess his high school education couldn't help distinguish between several facts? At the end of the day, it's "all about me, Kome."

BDawk4Prez
07-03-2014, 11:12 AM

Says a DRose fan, lol. :)

BDawk4Prez
07-03-2014, 11:14 AM
Are we really chastising the actions of a 17 year old kid straight out of HS? Good work fellas.

ink
07-03-2014, 11:26 AM

It's hard to take any discussion about Kobe seriously ... from either side.

jmaest
07-03-2014, 11:40 AM
Says a DRose fan, lol. :)

^ This. Lol.

It's hard to take any discussion about Kobe seriously ... from either side.

^ And this.