PDA

View Full Version : [ESPN] Patty Mills to miss 6-7 months for shoulder surgery

torocan
07-02-2014, 06:27 AM
Sources: Patty Mills to miss 6 months

Free-agent point guard Patty Mills will have shoulder surgery for a rotator-cuff injury that bothered him during the season and will likely be out until at least January, sources told ESPN.com's Marc Stein on Tuesday night.

Mills, the backup to Tony Parker as the San Antonio Spurs won their fifth NBA championship, will receive a firm diagnosis after the surgery, sources told Stein.

Mills scored 17 points in the Spurs' clinching Game 5 of the NBA Finals over the Miami Heat.

The Sydney Morning Herald of Australia earlier reported the news of Mills' surgery, which he was to undergo in coming days after scans revealed the extent of the injury.

The newspaper reported Mills has withdrawn from Australia's campaign for the Aug. 30 to Sept. 14 World Cup in Spain.

The Aussie is a free agent but sources told Stein he's expected to re-sign with the Spurs as the sides have already begun talks on a new deal.

Mills, a second-round draft pick by Portland in 2009, averaged 10.2 points in 18.9 minutes per game for the Spurs in his fourth full season, hitting a career-high 135 3-pointers.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11166127/patty-mills-faces-lengthy-layoff-shoulder-surgery

Well, that's a wrench in Free Agency for a few teams. Another potential PG off the market in an already weak class of PG's in FA.

Very unfortunate for Patty Mills given this was going to be his big pay day.

Still, very fortunate for Patty Mills that he's a member of the Spurs. The Spurs treat their players like family (especially those that help them win championships). I expect that they'll still give him a decent pay day and the time to recover.

The Spurs will still be strong enough to put up 55-60+ wins while he gets back into form, and can easily work their minutes to ease him back into the rotation without too much impact.

kdspurman
07-02-2014, 10:10 AM
A little over a week ago there was a report of him having a shoulder injury, but did not know it would keep him out this long. For Patty, it is really unfortunate. I don't think he was going to leave anyway, but it was his chance at a nice pay day . It is not a career threatening as far as I've seen, so he could still get a multi-year offer from the Spurs which I don't see him turning down.

For the Spurs, it means they probably can get away with a lower offer, but I still expect them to take care of him. He is not only a great spark off the bench, but he is a great teammate. He has a great relationship with the Spurs and especially Timmy,

Jarvo
07-02-2014, 10:17 AM
A little over a week ago there was a report of him having a shoulder injury, but did not know it would keep him out this long. For Patty, it is really unfortunate. I don't think he was going to leave anyway, but it was his chance at a nice pay day . It is not a career threatening as far as I've seen, so he could still get a multi-year offer from the Spurs which I don't see him turning down.

For the Spurs, it means they probably can get away with a lower offer, but I still expect them to take care of him. He is not only a great spark off the bench, but he is a great teammate. He has a great relationship with the Spurs and especially Timmy,

This, He was just huge for us this year and knew that he would be.

MrfadeawayJB
07-02-2014, 10:43 AM
I can see then giving him a 3 yr deal and back loading it so he's relatively cheap this year (since he's missing so many games)

kdspurman
07-02-2014, 10:47 AM
This, He was just huge for us this year and knew that he would be.

He was awesome. After seeing him play with the Aussy team in the summer, you could tell he just looked like a different player.

Nikeman
07-02-2014, 01:27 PM
Hopefully Miami can take this guy away from San Antonio, completely killed us in the finals, and if his value is dropped, maybe we could steal him somehow.

Wishful thinking but he'd be an amazing spark for Miami off the bench

ThuglifeJ
07-02-2014, 02:17 PM
Probably got it from scorching the little Heatlings

kdspurman
07-02-2014, 02:37 PM
Hopefully Miami can take this guy away from San Antonio, completely killed us in the finals, and if his value is dropped, maybe we could steal him somehow.

Wishful thinking but he'd be an amazing spark for Miami off the bench

That dude loves it there in SA, and seems to genuinely like his teammates. Prior to this injury I was going to be surprised if he left.

But you're right, he would be a great spark for any contending team off the bench. Pest defensively, can shoot the 3, and a great locker room guy

kdspurman
07-02-2014, 03:56 PM
Was reported Manu played with a stress fracture on his leg as well in the finals. Glad they are getting it taken care of now. Both guys played big time roles.

Silent
07-03-2014, 02:06 AM
Was reported Manu played with a stress fracture on his leg as well in the finals. Glad they are getting it taken care of now. Both guys played big time roles.

Just imagine if they were healthy lol they probably woulda beat the heat by 40