PDA

View Full Version : The "Bosh and Wade agree to accept $10M a year for 5 year" stories are crazytalk

Sssmush
07-02-2014, 02:26 AM
Seriously, some of the worst, least substantiated stories I have ever seen. And they're being actively denied by agents, who must be utterly embarassed for themselves and their clients, and yet still are front page news on NBCSports.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.combosh-five-years-starting-at-11-million-wade-four-years-starting-at-12-million (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/01/report-lebron-wants-1-2-year-deal-at-max-bosh-five-years-starting-at-11-million-wade-four-years-starting-at-12-million/related/)

I mean, holy ****, what the hell is this crap? Stories on a major national news site, being sourced to a Twitter feed from some reporter in Oregon, who references another Twitter tweet as his source. Have we really reached that point?

And what is up with all the typos and weird errors on almost every nbcsports.com story, including in the headlines? I used to think they were maybe using bots to write their stories but now I'm not sure if they just have a team of 12 year old bloggers blogging off their iPhones. I'm no grammar snob but jeeezus at some point it becomes a bit astonishing.

But yeah, sorry to interrupt your kewl theories of how Pat Riley will use $21 million in extra cap space to build a team with Lowry and Deng to add to Lebron, Wade and Bosh, but HELLO!!!! Why in the world would Bosh ever accept $50M over five years on day 1 of free agency when he is being offered $80M over 4 years?

and the reporter got this wrong as well, saying that Bosh could make $10M more a year but the Miami contract would be more guaranteed cash total. Hello are you stupid? What part of

$20M x 4 = $80M

$10M x 5 = $50M

do you not understand?

If you factor in that Bosh could also get paid in that fifth year somewhere else if he signs the 4 year contract (let's say $15M), then we are talking about $95M over five years versus $50M over five years in Miami. That is absolutely insane, he is not taking that paycut even for a guaranteed championship, his agent is vehemently denying this, and why the **** is this the front page story on nbcsports for the entire first day of NBA free agency?

/rant

Saddletramp
07-02-2014, 02:53 AM
Easy, killer.

Journalism has been going to **** thanks to "Sources" over the years. Now random a-holes on twitter are believed to be legit sources. And in this day of "First with the story!" organizations like nbcsports will post whatever when they *might* have to retract it later, blaming that unknown source.

Sources are normally right and news people usually have good instincts to not let this get by them, but it happens. Calm down.

Sssmush
07-02-2014, 06:31 AM
Easy, killer.

Journalism has been going to **** thanks to "Sources" over the years. Now random a-holes on twitter are believed to be legit sources. And in this day of "First with the story!" organizations like nbcsports will post whatever when they *might* have to retract it later, blaming that unknown source.

Sources are normally right and news people usually have good instincts to not let this get by them, but it happens. Calm down.

Nbcsports just seems incompetent at times, which is different, to the point where putting together a coherent sentence is a big deal I guess.

this story stuck out to me though because it seemed utterly disjointed. the headline was jacked, then the first sentence of the story contradicted the headline, then it tried to make a story out of nothing with these tweets, then it follows up with some nonsensical speculation. maybe I'm behind the times and "news sites" have already gone the way of the newspaper

but I'm not a journalism critic LoL. My main point is a basketball one, which is that Bosh is not going to sign for $10M a year. I have no idea why Wade opted out of $22M a year for two years or how they plan to compensate him. But $50M for 5 years to Bosh is absurd and I just don't see that happening, so it's very interesting because it all seems to be wide open right now and very up in the air.

So, uh, why is the big headline still "two down one to go"? this is nonsense, but the fact that it isn't true isn't as bad as the fact that it is so wildly improbable and is in fact denied directly by Bosh's agent. yet the reporter just goes with the story. Hey, I guess I'll tune in tomorrow, so *winning*

one other thing, can we all agree that this media trope of how every superstar should take a giant paycut now, especially after Ballmer goes $2 billion for the Clippers, is just completely retardo ? and now that two or three people have said it, every story every speculation just accepts it

but this story sticks out as one that will be shown to be complete nonsense within hours/days. The actual real story is far more interesting

beasted86
07-02-2014, 02:01 PM
I didn't read original post just the thread title. Your opinion isn't any more important that it needed it's own thread. There are plenty of posts in that thread with a message from their agent already denying the story.

Mods please merge.

Minimal
07-02-2014, 02:10 PM
http://dailysnark.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/multiple-sources.gif

Sssmush
07-03-2014, 07:21 AM
I didn't read original post just the thread title. Your opinion isn't any more important that it needed it's own thread. There are plenty of posts in that thread with a message from their agent already denying the story.

Mods please merge.

LoL you didn't read the original post, but "mods please merge thread" ? LoL

Not to worry, 24 hours later the real story is out of the bag. No way that Bosh signs for $10M a year

jmaest
07-03-2014, 09:20 AM
I believe I just read this morning that Bosh is also seeking a max contract. The Miami Heat era is over...

NBA_Starter
07-03-2014, 04:49 PM
Then LeBron leaving is not crazy talk.

Sanjay
07-03-2014, 09:56 PM
Maybe they should if they want another chance at a championship with Le Bron asking for a max contract...although Wade would be 37 (and an old 37 at that) lol