PDA

View Full Version : Deal: Warriors to add Shaun Livingston: 3 years @ $16 mil

king4day
07-01-2014, 09:08 PM
The Golden State Warriors have agreed to a deal with Brooklyn Nets free-agent guard Shaun Livingston, ESPN.com has learned.

Sources close to the process told ESPN.com that Livingston and the Warriors have struck a deal that will pay him the league's full mid-level exception for the next three seasons.

The deal can't officially be signed until July 10, when a league-wide moratorium on signings and trades is lifted.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11164899/shaun-livingston-agrees-deal-golden-state-warriors-according-sources

DR_1
07-01-2014, 09:10 PM
They spent this much on an injury-prone backup? Livingston is talented but I would not have taken this risk.

GiantsSwaGG
07-01-2014, 09:11 PM
I like it

Monta is beast
07-01-2014, 09:12 PM
Best option for our team imo

bucketss
07-01-2014, 09:13 PM
nice.

Hotone1401
07-01-2014, 09:14 PM
They spent this much on an injury-prone backup? Livingston is talented but I would not have taken this risk.

How is he injury prone? I remember seeing him suffer that major injury but it seems he's made a remarkable recovery and has showed his ability to produce. The guy is fundamental and a very efficient PG. His size and ball handling combination is really hard to come by. I like him as a player a lot and always have. Hope nothing for the best for the guy honestly.

shep33
07-01-2014, 09:17 PM
Good pick up. Hopefully he's as productive out west as he was with the Nets

DR_1
07-01-2014, 09:18 PM
How is he injury prone? I remember seeing him suffer that major injury but it seems he's made a remarkable recovery and has showed his ability to produce. The guy is fundamental and a very efficient PG. His size and ball handling combination is really hard to come by. I like him as a player a lot and always have. Hope nothing for the best for the guy honestly.

Oh I didn't know that it was a 1-time injury. Wish him nothing but the best.

JEDean89
07-01-2014, 09:18 PM
jodie meeks and shaun livingston, lol.

torocan
07-01-2014, 09:19 PM
Well, losing Livingston from the Nets was pretty much anticipated. Guess we'll see what the FA fall out from the Kidd departure is going to be pretty soon...

nycericanguy
07-01-2014, 09:19 PM
two guys who were practically out of the league a couple of years ago get big deals today. Meeks & Livingston.

It's a lot of money for a guy that was irrelevant and could only get vet min deals as he bounced around from team to team. I think GSW could have done better with their MLE.

nycericanguy
07-01-2014, 09:22 PM
meanwhile the Nets... how bad an off season are they having?

Lost their coach, lost Livingston, Blatche likely leaving, Pierce likely out the door, Dwil needing surgery on BOTH ankles... no cap, no picks, and their owner who never cared about money now saying he wants to trim payroll...

Crackadalic
07-01-2014, 09:23 PM
two guys who were practically out of the league a couple of years ago get big deals today. Meeks & Livingston.

It's a lot of money for a guy that was irrelevant and could only get vet min deals as he bounced around from team to team. I think GSW could have done better with their MLE.

Livingston was the reason they had a huge comeback after that horrible start. Just because they were irrelevant on past teams does't mean anything. His team won as there point guard when the superstar point guard williams couldnt' do jack

Yeah they could have see what else was on the market but he's a better upgrade then steve blake

JasonJohnHorn
07-01-2014, 09:23 PM
I'm just not sure about spending the MLE on a guard. They desperately need some depth in the front court.

I think chasing after Gasol first would have been best. I suppose they could look at Kaman or Andersen if either is willing to take the vet min, but I expect both will be offered more than the vet min.

I figure with Curry and Blake (if they plan on keeping Blake) and also Iggy, they'd have enough ball handlers.

And with Iggy, Barnes and Thompson, they have enough wing guys.

They only have Bogut and Lee in the front court right now. I mean, they weren't giving many minutes to Speights.... and O'Neal is likely retiring... so...

A combo C/PF is what they really need.

goingfor28
07-01-2014, 09:24 PM
Very good get for GS

Hotone1401
07-01-2014, 09:27 PM
Oh I didn't know that it was a 1-time injury. Wish him nothing but the best.

Yes, I believe it was anyway. To this day, it is still the scariest thing I've ever seen happen on a basketball court. I remember I couldn't ever watch the replays.

The guy is really humble and a great example as to what people can overcome. I never thought he would make it back but he's surprised me. To suffer a major injury like that and come back to a competitive level is just rare.

Tmath
07-01-2014, 09:29 PM
This makes the Meeks deal look even worse lol.

PraiseJesus
07-01-2014, 09:29 PM
This deal is a head scratcher for me...

Seems like a lot of money and a lot of years when there are still other options

NBA_Starter
07-01-2014, 09:31 PM
I wanted him to come back to the Hornets but good deal for him.

mavwar53
07-01-2014, 09:34 PM
I'm just not sure about spending the MLE on a guard. They desperately need some depth in the front court.

I think chasing after Gasol first would have been best. I suppose they could look at Kaman or Andersen if either is willing to take the vet min, but I expect both will be offered more than the vet min.

I figure with Curry and Blake (if they plan on keeping Blake) and also Iggy, they'd have enough ball handlers.

They only have Bogut and Lee in the front court right now. I mean, they weren't giving many minutes to Speights.... and O'Neal is likely retiring... so...

They still have a TPE of 9.8mil, which actually could still be used on Livingston if the nets want to trade for the TPE and a future 2nd since signings are not official. Personally I really like speights, they want a stretch 4 and IMO they already have one, plus at C they have Festus Ezeli coming back, so they are deeper than most realize with a chance still to add Hawes or Frye.

Plus IMO they signed him because he is a PG with size, if they want to continue to hide curry defensively he is perfect, can play alongside curry and handle the ball without losing size if Thompson or Iggy come out of the game. They payed him according to what he was worth to the team.

Aust
07-01-2014, 09:43 PM
Oh, I didn't know they had that big of a need for a guard.

NYKNYGNYY
07-01-2014, 09:46 PM
I like it with him and steph 1&2

Monta is beast
07-01-2014, 09:47 PM

Weh have a trade exception worth almost $10 mill.

And we could sign someone like Jason Smith and be set. They already told Draymond Green he's going to play allot more pf next season and we have Festus Ezeli coming back.

rockets-fan
07-01-2014, 09:50 PM
Love it for the warriors, good pick up

MrfadeawayJB
07-01-2014, 10:03 PM
Good move because it takes steph off the ball ala the Jarrett jack days

mavwar53
07-01-2014, 10:10 PM
Good move because it takes steph off the ball ala the Jarrett jack days

Not saying I disagree but much better than Jack for the warriors because you don't lose size by playing 2 PGs.

ohreally
07-01-2014, 10:10 PM
Good for Shaun, unless he's flipped to Wolves, who have wanted him.

Nets defense takes a real hit losing Livingston. And possibly Anderson.

NBA_Starter
07-01-2014, 10:20 PM
Good for Shaun, unless he's flipped to Wolves, who have wanted him.

Nets defense takes a real hit losing Livingston. And possibly Anderson.

It is hard not to wish a dude that has been through what he has well.

FOXHOUND
07-01-2014, 10:25 PM
To me this opens the door to trading Klay for Love if they have to. Livingston can easily start at SG like he did for the Nets and can guard PG's for Curry like Klay did.

mavwar53
07-01-2014, 10:28 PM
To me this opens the door to trading Klay for Love if they have to. Livingston can easily start at SG like he did for the Nets and can guard PG's for Curry like Klay did.

Highly doubtful

FOXHOUND
07-01-2014, 10:31 PM
Highly doubtful

I don't find it that doubtful. Makes sense as they used their MLE on a guard when they have Curry and Thompson already.

NBA_Starter
07-01-2014, 10:38 PM
I don't find it that doubtful. Makes sense as they used their MLE on a guard when they have Curry and Thompson already.

Good point

mavwar53
07-01-2014, 10:43 PM

Ya I guess I'm wrong most teams go into a season without backups at either guard position.

The signed Livingston because he is able to back up both positions, especially defensively.

NBA_Starter
07-01-2014, 10:50 PM
It is a great deal!

SPURSFAN1
07-01-2014, 10:54 PM
Good for the warriors. This guy is good at that price.

BKLYNpigeon
07-01-2014, 11:05 PM
he will fit in perfectly!

ThuglifeJ
07-01-2014, 11:10 PM
Jealous.

Arch Stanton
07-01-2014, 11:18 PM
Good to see Livingston revitalize his career.

FOXHOUND
07-01-2014, 11:28 PM
Ya I guess I'm wrong most teams go into a season without backups at either guard position.

The signed Livingston because he is able to back up both positions, especially defensively.

Of course backups are important. Big men are also important, and going all in at the guard position when they're already extremely well off there between Curry, Thompson and the minutes Iggy sees at SG seems a bit odd. Why crowd your backcourt so much when you can use some big man depth and have a starting center who is extremely injury prone?

Unless there was a way to use that backcourt depth to get an elite player who happens to be a big man... but nah, no way could that be a possible idea.

BKLYNpigeon
07-01-2014, 11:35 PM
Its a bit much for a back up PG who can't shoot well.

at the same price the warriors probably could have kept Jarret Jack.

im glad the Warriors addressed their needs early.

COOLbeans
07-01-2014, 11:38 PM
This doesn't mean the Warriors are trading Klay. If anything it just makes the Warriors a stronger team. Livngston's not an ideal fit as the Warriors starting SG since he's a limited shooter.

Monta is beast
07-02-2014, 12:09 AM
Were not trading Klay they came to an "organizational agreement" not to trade him. There probably offering Barnes, Lee and their 15 1st round pick. I think Houston ends up with Love though. There probably going to offer Parson, Beverly and Jones at some point.

mavwar53
07-02-2014, 12:13 AM
Of course backups are important. Big men are also important, and going all in at the guard position when they're already extremely well off there between Curry, Thompson and the minutes Iggy sees at SG seems a bit odd. Why crowd your backcourt so much when you can use some big man depth and have a starting center who is extremely injury prone?

Unless there was a way to use that backcourt depth to get an elite player who happens to be a big man... but nah, no way could that be a possible idea.

Warriors without Curry were the worst offensive team in the league, and that is a fact, they have way too much offensive talent for that to be true, so I would say A back up point was more important than replacing Ezeli who was injured all last year or speights who is a good backup at PF a position Draymond green also plays. So yes without a doubt a backup guard especially PG with SG size was the most important thing for this team to get,plus if curry is on the floor with him curry can still be hidden on defense.

mavwar53
07-02-2014, 12:15 AM
Its a bit much for a back up PG who can't shoot well.

at the same price the warriors probably could have kept Jarret Jack.

im glad the Warriors addressed their needs early.

Jack got 28 over 4 years, no way he takes basically half of that even if it shaves off 1 year. No guarantee he gets a contract once his contract expires if he took a 3 year deal last year.

mightybosstone
07-02-2014, 12:15 AM
Golden State missed the production and leadership last season that Jarrett Jack had previously provided. Livingston fills a lot of those areas Jack excelled in perfectly. I do think that's a tad much to pay for a 10-year veteran who has played 25+ minutes a season once in his last six seasons, but this could be a very underrated signing for Golden State.

mavwar53
07-02-2014, 12:17 AM
Were not trading Klay they came to an "organizational agreement" not to trade him. There probably offering Barnes, Lee and their 15 1st round pick. I think Houston ends up with Love though. There probably going to offer Parson, Beverly and Jones at some point.

Parsons is a free agent right? I see no reason he agrees to go there, unless you mean during the middle of the season.

BKLYNpigeon
07-02-2014, 12:31 AM
Jack got 28 over 4 years, no way he takes basically half of that even if it shaves off 1 year. No guarantee he gets a contract once his contract expires if he took a 3 year deal last year.

Jarret Jacks deal was 4 years 25 million = 6.25 million dollars

Shawn Livingston 3 years 18 million = 5.33 million

and we would already would have had Jack for one year of the deal, last season.
you can think of it as a 3 year deal.

moshy2
07-02-2014, 12:42 AM
I like this move. Now use the TPE to get another big

Monta is beast
07-02-2014, 12:53 AM
parsons is a free agent right? I see no reason he agrees to go there, unless you mean during the middle of the season.

s&t

dhopisthename
07-02-2014, 01:11 AM
one thing I found interesting is that because this is the full mle the warriors are hard capped and I don't know they full cap situation, but they would be fairly close to the number

mightybosstone
07-02-2014, 01:17 AM
s&t

Except Parsons would have to agree to sign with Minnesota long-term for that to happen. There has been a lot of doubt in Houston that Parsons would have any interest whatsoever in signing with Minnesota.

Laker Legend42
07-02-2014, 02:05 AM
It's good to see Shaun Livingston finally get paid.

CityofChaos
07-02-2014, 04:06 AM
Good signing. Livingston played really well last season and even had more impact on that Nets team than Deron Williams did. But does anyone else find it ironic that the 2 players that had by far the nastiest, most gruesome injuries ever caught in an nba game are on the same team in Andrew Bogut and Livingston? lol

Cracka2HI!
07-02-2014, 04:07 AM
Really glad to see one of my favorite players of all-time get a big contract! Hate to see him go to one of my teams rivals tho.

lol, please
07-02-2014, 05:02 PM
Championship.

tredigs
07-02-2014, 07:41 PM
I'm a fan of the move. Feisty defender and a guy I actually trust with the ball on the bench. Now, go get Love, fellas.

IversonIsKrazy
07-02-2014, 07:58 PM
Good signing. They needed a better back-up guard. Jarret Jack still would've been better had they thrown a similar contract the CLE threw at him

Monta is beast
07-02-2014, 09:30 PM
Good signing. They needed a better back-up guard. Jarret Jack still would've been better had they thrown a similar contract the CLE threw at him

Na. If you think about it Livingston is a poor mans Iguodala.

Monta is beast
07-02-2014, 09:32 PM
Sign Brandon Rush and Jason Smith or Epke Udoh

Curry//Livingston//Nedovic
Thompson//Livingston//Rush
Iguodala//Green//Livingston
Lee//Green//Smith
Bogut//Ezeli//Kuzmic

TrueFan420
07-03-2014, 10:34 AM
Great pick up for us and is perfect back up for curry/klay. Plays d, can run a unit so curry can go off ball, team player/not a me first type of guy, and has heart.

Now we need to get our hands on love!

Lee, Barnes, first + whatever they need not named curry, klay, bogut for love and filler.

SPURSFAN1
07-03-2014, 11:02 AM
Championship.

Chill dude.

Chronz
07-03-2014, 01:38 PM
Great move, he and Iggy are alil redundant but thats a good thing in this situation.

SluggeR
07-03-2014, 02:07 PM
I like Livingston. I just wish he would become a bit more offensive. He would be even more deadly as a playmaker if teams had to respect his offensive game.

Sanjay
07-03-2014, 10:53 PM
Assuming they are definitely going to move Thompson now; obviously a downgrade on the offensive end, but an improvement defensively which is what they need to move up in the West.

NBA_Starter
07-03-2014, 10:55 PM
I like Livingston. I just wish he would become a bit more offensive. He would be even more deadly as a playmaker if teams had to respect his offensive game.

That injury hurt him there.

Kaner
07-04-2014, 12:00 AM
I like it for GS but I think there were better places for him to go, he could be a quality starter.

FOXHOUND
07-04-2014, 09:31 AM
Warriors without Curry were the worst offensive team in the league, and that is a fact, they have way too much offensive talent for that to be true

I agree, but you don't think Kevin Love would help balance the offensive work load and make them less reliant on Curry? You don't think having an elite offensive player who can post up on the block or stretch the court from 3 point range as a big man wouldn't be an incredible addition to their offense? Come on lol. Kevin Love is pretty much as good a passer as Livingston is anyways. Think about his outlet passing ability to go with the open court athletics that players like Iggy and Barnes possess. Drool worthy.

so I would say A back up point was more important than replacing Ezeli who was injured all last year or speights who is a good backup at PF a position Draymond green also plays. So yes without a doubt a backup guard especially PG with SG size was the most important thing for this team to get,plus if curry is on the floor with him curry can still be hidden on defense.

I do think Livingston is a good fit for the reasons you stated, and backup PG was obviously a need, but let's not downplay the lack of big man depth on the team either. Speights is alright, Green performed well in a small ball lineup at times yes. I'm a huge fan of David Lee, being a Knicks fan I was sad to see him go and still root for him and always will, but I'm not going to pretend like the impact he makes and the impact Kevin Love makes are in the same universe.

The Warriors were 12th in Orating. Right now they're just an above average offensive team for all of that talent, a Curry-Love combo could catapult them into the top 5. Kevin Love on the Timberwolves led them to a 9th best Orating. I understand the love of Klay and the attachment, but I think you Warriors fans are being a little too homerish about the idea. Kevin Love on the Warriors, especially if they are running the triangle, can possibly catapult them to the best offense in the NBA.

I'm not saying they should trade Klay for Love if they didn't have to, only that this signing makes him more expendable because he can replace the defensive impact lost, and while not the same shooter his passing would give them a deadly passing backcourt. Oh yeah, that Kevin Love guy would probably make up for any offense lost between Klay and Livingston lol.

If it came down to getting Love or not getting Love the Warriors would be stupid not to trade Klay, as good as he is. Right now I would assume Barnes, Lee and a 2015 1st is the best offer on the table out there, but who knows. If that report is true and Parsons would go to Minny for the max, and Houston antes him up, then you have to ante up Klay. If that happened I'm sure Warriors fans would get over it when they have Curry and Love averaging 50+ PPG and 12+ APG lol.

Curry-Livingston
Thompson-Livingston/Iggy
Iggy-Barnes/Green
Lee-Speights/Green
Bogut-Ezeli

OR

Curry-Livingston
Iggy-Livingston
Barnes-Green
Love-Speights/Green
Bogut-Ezeli

To me that's a no brainer, but idk.

waveycrockett
07-04-2014, 09:34 AM
I like Shaun Livingston I think his best position is playing SG. He is like a more athletic version of Thabo with better offense. He has solid ball handling and post game but the guy can't shoot and I don't think he's much of a PG. Good signing by GSW but if they got him to run the 2nd unit they might be underwhelmed.

Monta is beast
07-04-2014, 04:11 PM
For the Warriors it's Thompsons overall ceiling vs Loves immediate impact. Loves only a year older, but Thompson can get so much better and every single season hes been in the league hes done that. I think right now Thompsons overall impact is near Loves considering defense is apart of the game. Livingston probably does make Thompson more available if talks heat up again though. The only way I see the Warriors including Thompson is if the wolves include a 1st and keep Martin which they wont do.

Chronz
07-04-2014, 04:16 PM
For the Warriors it's Thompsons overall ceiling vs Loves immediate impact. Loves only a year older, but Thompson can get so much better and every single season hes been in the league hes done that. I think right now Thompsons overall impact is near Loves considering defense is apart of the game. Livingston probably does make Thompson more available if talks heat up again though. The only way I see the Warriors including Thompson is if the wolves include a 1st and keep Martin which they wont do.
You cant be serious.

IndiansFan337
07-04-2014, 05:08 PM
This is a good fit for that team, because he can defend SG's and allow Curry to defend PG's, while allowing Curry to play some off of the ball on offense.