PDA

View Full Version : Deal: Irving signs 5 year 90 million dollar extension with Cavs

Procision
07-01-2014, 01:49 AM

B'sCeltsPatsSox
07-01-2014, 01:50 AM

Cal827
07-01-2014, 01:50 AM
With Irving's luck with health, his agent would be an idiot to just let this pass.

Hopefully he stays healthy... and Wiggins actually develops into something good.

raiderposting
07-01-2014, 01:54 AM
They have no choice. Hope Irving improves and wiggins lives to the hype. In 3-4 years they might contend in the east.

SILVER SEAVER
07-01-2014, 01:59 AM
I'm a Bulls fan but I am happy they are able to keep Kyrie. It would have been like deja vu if another number one pick walked out the door. They have their franchise player, now build around him. It's just one move but it's a positive move. If Wiggins can live up to all his hype and develop that raw talent they could compete seriously in three years or so.

shep33
07-01-2014, 02:01 AM

This. Not sure any other team would come close to that.

Arch Stanton
07-01-2014, 02:02 AM
@WojYahooNBA: Agent Jeff Wechsler tells Yahoo: "Kyrie is looking forward to growing with the organization and city of Cleveland over next six years."

Arch Stanton
07-01-2014, 02:03 AM
@KyrieIrving: I'm here for the long haul Cleveland!!! and I'm ecstatic!! Super excited and blessed to be here and apart of something special.#ClevelandKID

WITZ
07-01-2014, 02:03 AM
But all the reports said he wanted to leave :laugh2:

Dade County
07-01-2014, 02:04 AM
As of right now to me, his game isn't worth 18mil a year, but maybe by year 3 of that contract it will.

Crackadalic
07-01-2014, 02:06 AM
I still believe Kyrie would be up there as a top 5 pg in a few years despite having a down year last season

He is still too talented imo. ROY 2 all stars allstar mvp. He's only 22 he'll get it together

kobe4thewinbang
07-01-2014, 02:08 AM
$18 mil a year? Yeeeeeeesh.

What has he even done to deserve THAT?

Arch Stanton
07-01-2014, 02:13 AM
As of right now to me, his game isn't worth 18mil a year, but maybe by year 3 of that contract it will.

The thing I would say to this is that he is only 22 and still has time to improve. There were 15 first round picks in this 2014 draft that are older than Irving. Plus Mike Brown is probably the worst coach in the NBA and tried turning Irving into Eric Snow. That being said, he's gotta lot to prove.

True Sports Fan
07-01-2014, 02:15 AM
Do they even have any cap flexibility after this contract?

dcenate05050
07-01-2014, 02:16 AM
good for cleveland.. keep the talent in the house

goingfor28
07-01-2014, 02:18 AM
Good for cleveland :clap: happy for their fans

SILVER SEAVER
07-01-2014, 02:22 AM

Yeah, the same reports that that have LeBron leaving Miami and Phil all but having Melo convinced to resign with the Knicks.

NYSpirit1
07-01-2014, 02:22 AM
I don't really believe he wanted to stay but his agent probably coaxed him into taking the money with his injury history.

I wonder if there are any opt outs in there after year 3, so when he's 26, like K-Love, he can leave. This will give the strongest indication if he's really committed to Cleveland or if he just signed it to get the money quick and fast.

Otherwise, kind of insane if there isn't and he's committed himself to be in Cleveland, the black hole of sports, for the next 6 years. Surprising given reports he wanted out.

The NBA is set up nowadays that if a player starts in the league at 19-20 years old, teams really have control of them til 26-27 years old. If they sign the full max without any opt outs, really until they are 28 years old. That's a hell of a long time and a lot of their prime. So stars have to go through essentially 7-8-9 years of losing/unhappiness in a small market to get to where they really want to be (ex. LeBron, Bosh, Melo, CP3, D12).

At that point, some of them break down when receiving a max deal from their next squad/contract into the 30, 31 age (Amare, Wade, Deron).

It's kind of sad that players don't have control earlier to leave when they have more prime years left, say at 24 or 25 years old.

But the fact was Kyrie was set to be a RFA next summer and the Cavs would've matched anything. The only way for a player to leave is to take the qualifying offer next year ($9 mil plus for Kyrie) to go into unrestricted free agency in 2016. So he'd be risking essentially $80+ million with his injury history by doing that (something no young star has done). It's a very inflexible process set up in the CBA that forces a player to stay where they are until they are rich and older and sometimes, more broken down.

kobe4thewinbang
07-01-2014, 02:27 AM
I don't really believe he wanted to stay but his agent probably coaxed him into taking the money with his injury history.

I wonder if there are any opt outs in there after year 3, so when he's 26, like K-Love, he can leave. This will give the strongest indication if he's really committed to Cleveland or if he just signed it to get the money quick and fast.

Otherwise, kind of insane if there isn't and he's committed himself to be in Cleveland, the black hole of sports, for the next 6 years. Surprising given reports he wanted out.

The NBA is set up nowadays that if a player starts in the league at 19-20 years old, teams really have control of them til 26-27 years old. If they sign the full max without any opt outs, really until they are 28 years old. That's a hell of a long time and a lot of their prime. So stars have to go through essentially 7-8-9 years of losing/unhappiness in a small market to get to where they really want to be (ex. LeBron, Bosh, Melo, CP3, D12).

At that point, some of them break down when receiving a max deal from their next squad/contract into the 30, 31 age (Amare, Wade, Deron).

It's kind of sad that players don't have control earlier to leave when they have more prime years left, say at 24 or 25 years old.

But the fact was Kyrie was set to be a RFA next summer and the Cavs would've matched anything. The only way for a player to leave is to take the qualifying offer next year ($9 mil plus for Kyrie) to go into unrestricted free agency in 2016. So he'd be risking essentially $80+ million with his injury history by doing that (something no young star has done). It's a very inflexible process set up in the CBA that forces a player to stay where they are until they are rich and older and sometimes, more broken down.Wasn't aware that was a problem. Dude's getting paid 18 MILLION--uh, hello? I would play for the Hell Hellions for eternity for that kind of money.

Cromedome
07-01-2014, 02:34 AM
I was hoping he'd come to the Knicks next year. The Cavs don't deserve him.

Arch Stanton
07-01-2014, 02:45 AM
I was hoping he'd come to the Knicks next year. The Cavs don't deserve him.

And the Knicks do? :laugh2:

tredigs
07-01-2014, 02:50 AM

I had the exact same reaction to the post.

This is a deal the Cavs had to offer, and I'm glad Kyrie took it. I want to see what he and Wiggins can put together out there.

Also, this makes me continue to drool at the contract Curry is under (and makes me continue think that his agent should probably be fired in retrospect).

SPURSFAN1
07-01-2014, 02:56 AM
Probably the 10th best point guard. Gets paid like a top 15 player in the nba.

b-ballistic
07-01-2014, 02:57 AM
If they can land LeBron, it'll be "game on". I'm also very happy for the city of Cleveland. Now they have to somehow get rid of Anthony Bennett.

raiderposting
07-01-2014, 03:01 AM
$18 mil a year? Yeeeeeeesh.

What has he even done to deserve THAT?

Not much. But Cleveland is desperate. I would do the same thing as their gm. He leaves who do you bring in? He's only 22. Hope he improves, hope wiggins lives to the hype. That's all they have at this point hope. If those two things happen Cleveland can contend in the east in 3-4 years when lebrons game won't be on the level it's on. Maaaaybe.

Arch Stanton
07-01-2014, 03:02 AM
I had the exact same reaction to the post.

This is a deal the Cavs had to offer, and I'm glad Kyrie took it. I want to see what he and Wiggins can put together out there.

Also, this makes me continue to drool at the contract Curry is under (and makes me continue think that his agent should probably be fired in retrospect).

Would have been nice to get Irving under a similar deal as Curry. But no way he stays if he isn't offered max IMO. As poorly as Gilbert is perceived, he's at least good at spending money.

raiderposting
07-01-2014, 03:04 AM

But the fact was Kyrie was set to be a RFA next summer and the Cavs would've matched anything. The only way for a player to leave is to take the qualifying offer next year ($9 mil plus for Kyrie) to go into unrestricted free agency in 2016. So he'd be risking essentially $80+ million with his injury history by doing that (something no young star has done). It's a very inflexible process set up in the CBA that forces a player to stay where they are until they are rich and older and sometimes, more broken down.

I would say for the majority of NBA stars their primes are really around the ages from 27-32 anyway.

Cromedome
07-01-2014, 03:30 AM

The Knicks play in New York City.... so of course the Knicks deserve Irving.

HYFR
07-01-2014, 04:25 AM

Ugh as a knick fan this comment just annoys me smh..

Anyways.. This deal had to be done. The cavs are banking on potential with this and they just could not afford to lose him. Good deal IMO

Crackadalic
07-01-2014, 06:26 AM

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

3ballbomber
07-01-2014, 06:47 AM
"I'm here for the long haul Cleveland!!! and I'm ecstatic!! Super excited and blessed to be here and apart of something special" - irving

does not want to break the cavs fans hearts again

JasonJohnHorn
07-01-2014, 06:59 AM
This contract, before it's over, will be compared to the Arenas and Lewis, and Marbury and Francis contracts.

ottograham14
07-01-2014, 07:02 AM
Knicks and Laker fans. Should you expect anything different from them.

Irving is 22 and hasn't even hit his peak yet. If John Wall is getting a max contract and no one was saying anything about that I don't understand why people are up in arms about KI getting one. Cleveland had to keep the talent in house and that is exactly what they did. He is the face of the team on and off of the court and they had to get this done quickly to now be able to go after other possibilities in FA and via trades.

And yes they have money free, they can easily cut the non-guaranteed contracts of Varajeo, Hopson, Haywood and free up 15mill right there plus they are not bringing Deng back where that frees up 15 mill and Hawes and Miles are FA's where that is 9mill. They have enough money due to most of their players still being on rookie deals to offer another Max or go get two good players at 10mill each. Wouldn't be surprised to see Dion moved either at this point.

Haters gonna hate.

TheNumber37
07-01-2014, 07:03 AM
90 mil for a guy who can't defend and who literally hasn't won anything in the NBA.

What are they gonna do when they need to extend Wiggins and what if Bennet lives up to his potential.

That's not a big 3 I would pay for with Kyrie making 18 per....

He should have gotten a 60-70 mil deal, a litter more than Curry to show some faith in the kid perhaps, but that's it.

KYRIE CAN NOT be the best player on a championship team and they are paying like one, or like 1 of a big 3 who took a paycut.

astonmartin10
07-01-2014, 07:14 AM
Yeet. A lot of cash for him.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-01-2014, 07:19 AM
They should of let a team put a bid in for him then match it.

JasonJohnHorn
07-01-2014, 07:40 AM
If John Wall is getting a max contract and no one was saying anything about that I don't understand why people are up in arms about KI getting one.

John Wall's max and Irving's are NOT the same.

Irvign made two All-Star games during his rookie contract, therefore he gets a large max deal for the Derrick Rose/Russell Westbrook (if a player makes 2 ASG, 2 AllNBA teams or wins an MVP, they are eligible for a much larger deal, so while Wall is getting around 10-12 mil a year, Irving will be getting around 20 million in his final year, which is almost DOUBLE what Wall is getting.

Is Irving wroth double what Wall is when he has yet to even play a full season due to all the injuries he has?

People have good cause to be concerned with his injuries and other parts of his game. They are 'haters', just cautious.

ottograham14
07-01-2014, 08:12 AM
John Wall's max and Irving's are NOT the same.

Irvign made two All-Star games during his rookie contract, therefore he gets a large max deal for the Derrick Rose/Russell Westbrook (if a player makes 2 ASG, 2 AllNBA teams or wins an MVP, they are eligible for a much larger deal, so while Wall is getting around 10-12 mil a year, Irving will be getting around 20 million in his final year, which is almost DOUBLE what Wall is getting.

Is Irving wroth double what Wall is when he has yet to even play a full season due to all the injuries he has?

People have good cause to be concerned with his injuries and other parts of his game. They are 'haters', just cautious.

Wall is getting $17.8mill in his final year. Wouldn't call that double. Irving is getting 10mill more over the 5 year contract than Wall is because he has hit his escalators such as All-Star appearances, etc.

I understand the concern with injuries and defense but what else were the Cavs going to do? They were not going to let Irving walk like Lebron and needed to offer the Max to show him they were committed to get him to commit for the next 6 years. They allow themselves still flexibility this year as the contract won't take till next and then still have an abundance of cap if they want to make moves like mentioned above. Right now Kyrie is the best thing on that team and Cleveland had to keep the talent in house even if they did have to overspend a little for it for a just turned 22 year old. I would hope most know that any team in Cleveland needs to overpay for All-Stars no matter what sport sadly enough.

beasted86
07-01-2014, 08:27 AM

You can't leave if a team offers the max.

Given his injury history it's way too risky to take a 1yr qualifier and then go to a bigger market. He did the smart and right thing. But don't be surprised if 3 years from now he's demanding a trade. That front office is simply inept, and it starts at the owner. So far the new GM hasn't done anything to show he's trailblazing a franchise makeover yet.

beasted86
07-01-2014, 08:31 AM
They should of let a team put a bid in for him then match it. +1

It's why I say the Cavs are still inept. The max offer from an outside team is less.

SPURSFAN1
07-01-2014, 08:33 AM
+1

It's why I say the Cavs are still inept. The max offer from an outside team is less.

But they want him for 5 year not 4. So that's 6 years total. They don't want none of this Kevin Love bull. Still 90something mil is what bad teams do to stay mediocre.

prodigy
07-01-2014, 08:49 AM
They have no choice. Hope Irving improves and wiggins lives to the hype. In 3-4 years they might contend in the east.

Contend? Lol they prob will next season if the east remains weak. For a title ya they need to develop more but cavs do have some good young talent.

prodigy
07-01-2014, 08:54 AM
Irving had a down year for his standards last season. But we can mainly blame that on mike brown and his no offense system. Just look at Irving's career he's always been a excellent shooter. long as he can be avg on defense he's worth the money.

jimm120
07-01-2014, 09:32 AM

He might want to leave, but almost every player takes the first extension. It's the first big money they get.

Do you just keep that rookie 10-20 million and hope to reach free agency in one piece to get 4/80 or do you first accumulate over 100 million and then move around.

There is a reason that people like melo/lebron/etc all stayed for the rookie contract and first extension.

Rookie contract is a millionaire.
Extension is the mega millionaire which grants them a lifestyle in which money doesn't matter.

KobeOwnSU
07-01-2014, 09:46 AM
Man some people are gonna be sour no matter what. I'm happy for Cleveland and definitely happy for irving getting paid. Hopefully he turns into a top 3 PG in the league and they can build around him and Wiggins.

Lo Porto
07-01-2014, 09:49 AM
I really hope LBJ goes back. Cleveland has 2 extra 1sts next year (Miami and Memphis) along with Wiggins and Irving locked up for a while. Waiters is good. If Thompson/Bennett can just be solid, the Cavs could be a force for a while.

ManRam
07-01-2014, 10:36 AM
Happy for Kyrie and Cleveland. The necessary move for both parties.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-01-2014, 10:48 AM

NY deserves Amare and his bad knees

FYL_McVeezy
07-01-2014, 10:49 AM
Very good news for cavs fans....Kyrie and Wiggins have the potential to be a great duo and they get 5yrs to grow together

LongIslandIcedZ
07-01-2014, 10:50 AM
Maybe he knows LeBron is coming? I doubt he is but I still like the move.

WITZ
07-01-2014, 11:09 AM
Man some people are gonna be sour no matter what. I'm happy for Cleveland and definitely happy for irving getting paid. Hopefully he turns into a top 3 PG in the league and they can build around him and Wiggins.

Well said If the cavs don't sign Kyrie they get trashed for not being able to keep their players. Now Kyrie signs and its only A. because its to much money to turn down or B. people saying he got overpaid. If the cavs didn't offer the max contract someone else would have.

Arch Stanton
07-01-2014, 11:17 AM
Well said If the cavs don't sign Kyrie they get trashed for not being able to keep their players. Now Kyrie signs and its only A. because its to much money to turn down or B. people saying he got overpaid. If the cavs didn't offer the max contract someone else would have.

Exactly... And I'm sure some FA will get overpaid today at the start of free agency.

beasted86
07-01-2014, 11:32 AM
But they want him for 5 year not 4. So that's 6 years total. They don't want none of this Kevin Love bull. Still 90something mil is what bad teams do to stay mediocre.

I'm pretty sure under the CBA teams can only have one 5 year contract on the current roster.

In essence what this means is when Wiggins is due for a contract they will only be able to sign him for 4 if Kyrie is still on the team. Once again shooting themselves in the foot if he lives up to the superstar hype.

Oefarmy2005
07-01-2014, 11:46 AM
Worth every penny. Hope he continuous to progress in Cleveland and gets some veteran help.

Oefarmy2005
07-01-2014, 11:47 AM
I'm pretty sure under the CBA teams can only have one 5 year contract on the current roster.

In essence what this means is when Wiggins is due for a contract they will only be able to sign him for 4 if Kyrie is still on the team. Once again shooting themselves in the foot if he lives up to the superstar hype.

Pretty sure my team did that and it's biting them in the *****. Kyrie is already a superstar player - you sign the sure thing now, and worry about Wiggins later(if he is still on the team then).

CTown81
07-01-2014, 11:56 AM
My take on Kyrie (as a Cavs fan)... He probably isn't worth a max deal as to this point he is one dimentional, but as a smaller market you HAVE to keep talent like him in house. Big time FA are not knocking on the door of small market clubs so he is by far the best player we could get in FA (Lebron isn't coming back). Lock him up, hope he grows under Coach Blatt and with Wiggins. Try to get a defensive rim protector to go along with Wiggins wing defense and a stretch 4 or another shooter and you can contend in the East. Cavs still have plenty of assets in Waiters, TT, Bennett, extra draft picks, etc to build around Kyrie and Wiggins (even though id prefer to keep Waiters).

If Kyrie doesnt live up to the contract completely it wont be that far off as right now he easily a 12-14 million player and I think he will improve so again its something that the Cavs had to do and its a positive moving forward.

ottograham14
07-01-2014, 12:04 PM

Where are you getting teams can only offer one 5 year deal? Please add link to this as I am pretty sure this is not true. Not saying for sure but from below's articles seems that the number of years is not a restriction even under the new CBA.

2 and 3. If Bosh and Wade both accept five-year deals worth $75 million ($15 million per year), those contracts would have starting salaries of just over $13 million.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/06/28/what-can-the-heat-offer-free-agents/

Sactown
07-01-2014, 12:21 PM
Happy for Kyrie and Cleveland. The necessary move for both parties. I agree for everyone saying wait and match, that idea is a little ridiculous , you don't want to run into an Eric Gordon situation where he gets hyped on another franchise... This puts confidence in Irving, let him know you believe in him and that you're building a better tomorrow I'd bet money we see a more inspiried Kyrie next season .. the money they would save in a wait in match isn't worth Kyrie mentally checking out because you forced him to return

lamzoka
07-01-2014, 12:54 PM

I dont think this is true.

Vinylman
07-01-2014, 01:03 PM
He might want to leave, but almost every player takes the first extension. It's the first big money they get.

Do you just keep that rookie 10-20 million and hope to reach free agency in one piece to get 4/80 or do you first accumulate over 100 million and then move around.

There is a reason that people like melo/lebron/etc all stayed for the rookie contract and first extension.

Rookie contract is a millionaire.
Extension is the mega millionaire which grants them a lifestyle in which money doesn't matter.

wow... someone who actually gets it...

the owners are the dumb ones. they should let guys like Irving test FA and then match or offer more when he becomes an RFA...

The Cavs now have 6 years of risk with this guy who has had multiple injuries... not smart imo

Aust
07-01-2014, 01:39 PM
Stay healthy and continue to develop.

bleedprple&gold
07-01-2014, 02:14 PM
wow... someone who actually gets it...

the owners are the dumb ones. they should let guys like Irving test FA and then match or offer more when he becomes an RFA...

The Cavs now have 6 years of risk with this guy who has had multiple injuries... not smart imo

This. Cleveland should have waited until next year when he became a RFA and see if anyone else was willing to offer the max and then they could match. My bet is nobody would have and then they could have gotten him for less. But I can see why they didn't since doing it that way is a risk because Irving could be unhappy and become a distraction. Giving him the truckload of money upfront he has nothing to complain about.

bleedprple&gold
07-01-2014, 02:18 PM
Do they even have any cap flexibility after this contract?

Extension doesn't kick in until 2015-16 season so they still have flexibility this summer.

Sly Guy
07-01-2014, 02:54 PM
I think cleveland overpaid. I can understand wanting to keep him, have him develop with the nice young and athletic core they got there, but I just don't see Kyrie as a max player.

Hopefully he produces for them and lives up to the investment they've made.

FriedTofuz
07-01-2014, 02:59 PM
overpaid and overated, couldnt even lead his team to a playoff spot in a weak conference.

he'll make more money than d-wade, chris bosh, and bunch of other talented players.

FriedTofuz
07-01-2014, 03:00 PM
and people thought Lowry was overrated and overpaid :laugh2: helll nah

Chavacano
07-01-2014, 03:02 PM
There goes some of the Laker fans dream pairing of Irving-Love. llullz

Jamiecballer
07-01-2014, 04:19 PM
there are production signings, and there are potential signings. this is most definitely a potential signing. he's got a long way to go to live up to that deal.

KnicksorBust
07-01-2014, 07:24 PM
I like the signing. Cle is killing themselves to stay relevant. Realistically if they get one legit big man they could be a threat in the East. That backcourt has all the star potential you could ask for.

beasted86
07-01-2014, 07:51 PM
Where are you getting teams can only offer one 5 year deal? Please add link to this as I am pretty sure this is not true. Not saying for sure but from below's articles seems that the number of years is not a restriction even under the new CBA.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/06/28/what-can-the-heat-offer-free-agents/

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q59

But reading it through again, it may be possible for them to make him play all 4 seasons... become a free agent.... and THEN sign him to a new contract. I'm not exactly sure, all the info is probably there somewhere specifying.

But since they already designated Irving as their 5 year "extension" they can't sign Wiggins to a 5 year extension only 4 years.

NBA_Starter
07-01-2014, 08:21 PM
Money talks!

ottograham14
07-02-2014, 07:36 AM
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q59

But reading it through again, it may be possible for them to make him play all 4 seasons... become a free agent.... and THEN sign him to a new contract. I'm not exactly sure, all the info is probably there somewhere specifying.

But since they already designated Irving as their 5 year "extension" they can't sign Wiggins to a 5 year extension only 4 years.

Gotcha. Thats interesting especially since Gortat just signed a 5 year deal when Wall is already on a max 5 year deal for the Wiz.