PDA

View Full Version : Jameer Nelson has been released by the Magic

Yeezy
06-30-2014, 04:23 PM
Looks like Elfrid Payton will be the starter from day 1. I wonder where he will end up. :confused:

The Orlando Magic have waived Jameer Nelson.

The move will save the Magic $6 million, and it also could help Nelson, who is expected to draw interest from playoff teams that need an experienced point guard.

Nelson, 32, is a fan favorite in Orlando.

He also was the last person on the Magicís roster who had played for the team in the 2009 NBA Finals and the 2010 Eastern Conference finals.

Source: Orlando Sentinel (http://ht.ly/yCB7i)

Red_Pill
06-30-2014, 04:35 PM
We'll take him as a backup in OKC since it looks like we're leaning towards starting Reggie.

NYCkid12
06-30-2014, 04:40 PM
As a longtime Magic fan, I hate to see him go on one hand but am happy for him on the other now that he can go to a playoff team and contribute

Crackadalic
06-30-2014, 04:56 PM
He's going to a contender to show he can still play and get his last contract next year

Think he goes to the pacers. He's better the George hill

colinskik
06-30-2014, 05:00 PM
I'm kinda surprised by this from an ORL perspective. Would think they'd like his vet leadership to help Payton. But for Jameer this is a win.

bleedprple&gold
06-30-2014, 05:00 PM
Magic cutting salary like crazy. Also expected to release Jason Maxiell. Are they actually going to go after any free agents with all that cap space?

Crackadalic
06-30-2014, 05:02 PM
Magic cutting salary like crazy. Also expected to release Jason Maxiell. Are they actually going to go after any free agents with all that cap space?

I think there more concern with developing young players and allow room to grow and just go after players next season

ManRam
06-30-2014, 05:02 PM
:( My second favorite Magic player ever, behind only T-Mac. It's been a VERY VERY long time since the Magic have entered a season without either.

I'm mildly surprised. It was always a viable option, but considering the sheer lack of experience on this roster I thought he'd be retained. If Ronnie Price goes (I'm assuming Maxiell is gone) Dewayne Dedmon becomes our oldest player. He's 24 with one year of NBA experience. Oladipo is now our highest paid player...followed by Aaron Gordon. Andrew Nicholson is the longest tenured Magic player.

We have the cap space...and I doubt we make a huge splash, so why not keep him? You don't need to have him eat into Payton's playing time...

Oh well. In Rob I trust.

Avenged
06-30-2014, 05:05 PM
He's still in the league? I kid you not, I had forgotten about him.

lkingratedr
06-30-2014, 05:06 PM
Jameer nelson to the knicks i can see that happening

Lakers + Giants
06-30-2014, 05:14 PM
It's not 09, honestly he's been done for a while.

NYCkid12
06-30-2014, 05:18 PM
It's not 09, honestly he's been done for a while.

Done in the sense of him being a starting PG ? yeah, definitely

Done in the sense he can't contribute ? not at all

He can still be a very productive guard off the bench

black1605
06-30-2014, 05:22 PM
I'd love to bring him in to back up and mentor Kemba. He's still close with Steve Clifford, so we have that going for us, but I'm sure he'll end up on a contender.

NYKNYGNYY
06-30-2014, 05:34 PM
Heat

Deception
06-30-2014, 05:59 PM
SVG will probably go after him.

*Superman*
06-30-2014, 06:08 PM
Jameer is a class act, definitely going to be weird not seeing him associated with the Magic anymore. Last player that remained after the 2009 Finals. I'm just glad this was a mutual thing after all he has done for us.

He will be a serviceable 6th man/backup for any contending team.

bleedprple&gold
06-30-2014, 06:14 PM
Jameer is a class act, definitely going to be weird not seeing him associated with the Magic anymore. Last player that remained after the 2009 Finals. I'm just glad this was a mutual thing after all he has done for us.

He will be a serviceable 6th man/backup for any contending team.

Or a starter on the Heat (if they don't get Lowry).

Nikeman
06-30-2014, 06:16 PM
He averaged over 7 assists per game the last couple years, scored over 12 ppg and is a career 37.5% 3 pt shooter.

If Miami isn't all over this I'd be highly disappointed.

Aust
06-30-2014, 06:17 PM
He can be a productive player in the right situation.

*Superman*
06-30-2014, 06:20 PM
Or a starter on the Heat (if they don't get Lowry).

That would definitely work. I'd just hate to see him go to the Heat though. ;)

But it might give me a reason to cheer for the Heat if they make it to the Finals again. I'm torn if he goes to Miami...

Nikeman
06-30-2014, 06:23 PM
I'd much rather get Jameer for 3-4 million a year than Lowry for 10, that allows us an extra 6-8 millon in cap where we can sign other productive players, and gives us a very solid game managing PG, who shoots the 3 well, and doesn't make many dumb mistakes.

HandsOnTheWheel
06-30-2014, 06:25 PM
Nelson is not someone you want on your team.

Sure he's a good team player when he wants to be but he hurts the team more times than not jacking up crazy threes and shots of that nature. There's a reason why he was released.

*Superman*
06-30-2014, 06:39 PM

Sure he's a good team player when he wants to be but he hurts the team more times than not jacking up crazy threes and shots of that nature. There's a reason why he was released.

He was released because he does not fit with the Magic's plan anymore. Elfrid was going to be given the starting spot anyways, and this allows Nelson to sign with a contender.

While I do think at times he has the tendency to take bad shots, he has also hit a nice amount of big shots in his career. There is a huge difference between playing for a contender vs a team that will not even lick the playoffs. The latter allows you to do what you want more, he is going to be more disciplined playing for a contender.

ManRam
06-30-2014, 06:41 PM

IDK about that. He's a pretty bright guy and has always been regarded as an exceptional leader. He knows what he is these days, but playing on such a bad team with such few offensive weapons necessitated he take on a bigger load. If he goes to a veteran team there's zero doubt in my mind he'll accept his role and fill it well.

Asik's better
06-30-2014, 06:49 PM
All playoff teams from last season could use Nelson as a back up. It's not going to be hard for him to find work again.

RaiderLakersA's
06-30-2014, 06:59 PM
I had honestly forgotten that he was still in the league. Someone will pick him to lead their bench mob, no doubt.

cssdmark
06-30-2014, 07:00 PM
He is going to the Heat.

Jarvo
06-30-2014, 07:35 PM
If The Spurs lose Patty I would want him on The Spurs!

But Pacers, OKC, Heat, Clippers? Can use him as a backup or a starter in Indy or Miami

5ass
06-30-2014, 07:42 PM
If The Spurs lose Patty I would want him on The Spurs!

But Pacers, OKC, Heat, Clippers? Can use him as a backup or a starter in Indy or Miami

I would love to see him with the spurs.

bleedprple&gold
06-30-2014, 07:46 PM
I'd much rather get Jameer for 3-4 million a year than Lowry for 10, that allows us an extra 6-8 millon in cap where we can sign other productive players, and gives us a very solid game managing PG, who shoots the 3 well, and doesn't make many dumb mistakes.

You might not have a choice. The big 3 may be taking up the rest of the cap especially with news today that Lebron will only accept the max.

ThuglifeJ
06-30-2014, 08:36 PM
Honestly the definition of a shoot first point guard. Can't stand watching him play. A decent shooting/combo guard I guess.

Remember when he tried to come back from his injury because he was getting jealous of Rafaer? ahh I swear if I see him in Dallas I'll be pissed

ManRam
06-30-2014, 08:40 PM
Honestly the definition of a shoot first point guard. Can't stand watching him play. A decent shooting/combo guard I guess.

Remember when he tried to come back from his injury because he was getting jealous of Rafaer? ahh I swear if I see him in Dallas I'll be pissed

Jealous of Rafer? I think he realized the Magic were winning despite Rafer. He wasn't quite ready, but whatever.

And "shoot first" worked fine with those Magic teams. It was Dwight + a gaggle of shooters. Nelson and Hedo on the court provided plenty of passing, and all 4 non-Dwight players were great shooters. It worked great. I never got why Magic fans wanted more of a "true PG". They needed shooting and floor spacing more than anything, and prime Jameer provided that.

Mr.B
06-30-2014, 08:41 PM

Unfortunately I've heard the Mavs have an interest in him. I honestly didn't even realize he was still playing. I want no part of him.

force_within
06-30-2014, 08:43 PM
If the Spurs can't re-sign Patty, Nelson would be a good addition..

ThuglifeJ
06-30-2014, 08:47 PM
Unfortunately I've heard the Mavs have an interest in him. I honestly didn't even realize he was still playing. I want no part of him.

Oh man Nelson Harris and Felton would be the worst trio of PGs I could possibly string together actually lol. Harris has his moments though at least..but he still has issues of when to not force things. Felton and Nelson would just be 2 mini balls of fat trying to run around and get points and not see open guys with their tunnel vision. Mavs really need to find a good passer/high iq guy now that Calderon is gone.

please please please no Nelson

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
06-30-2014, 09:52 PM
People who are bad talking Nelson haven't seen him.play enough or haven't seen him play lately ...

Sure he isn't a top pg or the best starting pg but he is better then most are saying and in his earlier days he did jack shots and wasn't much of a passed but in his older age he developed into a better all around pg and more of a passer ... he would be a great addition to a contending team like mia okc and yes even the Mavs he is a 1000x better then felton

Xplicit
06-30-2014, 10:23 PM
go Miami Heat

east fb knicks
06-30-2014, 10:44 PM
Jealous of Rafer? I think he realized the Magic were winning despite Rafer. He wasn't quite ready, but whatever.

And "shoot first" worked fine with those Magic teams. It was Dwight + a gaggle of shooters. Nelson and Hedo on the court provided plenty of passing, and all 4 non-Dwight players were great shooters. It worked great. I never got why Magic fans wanted more of a "true PG". They needed shooting and floor spacing more than anything, and prime Jameer provided that.

despite alston lmao last time I checked they were playing well up until that dwarf came back in to the line up

MrfadeawayJB
06-30-2014, 10:46 PM
I could see the clippers interested

NBA_Starter
06-30-2014, 10:50 PM
Hornets need to jump all over this.

Mr.B
06-30-2014, 10:50 PM
People who are bad talking Nelson haven't seen him.play enough or haven't seen him play lately ...

Sure he isn't a top pg or the best starting pg but he is better then most are saying and in his earlier days he did jack shots and wasn't much of a passed but in his older age he developed into a better all around pg and more of a passer ... he would be a great addition to a contending team like mia okc and yes even the Mavs he is a 1000x better then felton
I have to admit, I haven't seen him play in years. That's why I was surprised he was still in the league. I surely hope you're right though.

ManRam
06-30-2014, 10:51 PM
despite alston lmao last time I checked they were playing well up until that dwarf came back in to the line up

Alston had an 11.8 PER in the playoffs. He was trash. He had a 44.4% eFG%. Hell, 38% FG% says enough on it's own. He had an ORtg of 97...compared to Lewis' 111, Hedo's 106, Howard's 119, Pietrus' 117 and so on. Dude was GARBAGE in the playoffs.

Nelson came back too early and was not good. In fact, he was awful. But the second most awful playoff performer: Rafer Alston. They weren't gonna beat the Lakers unless their third All-Star, Jameer, made a miraculous return. Because Alston, again, just wasn't cutting it. They were playing 4 v 5 offensively all playoffs long. It didn't work out, but so be it.

They made it to the Finals despite him. I will always maintain that. He was awful. He posted a -0.2 offensive win share in the playoffs. YIKES!

Let's not forget, they took LAL to overtime in games 2 and 4, and won game 3. They played well when Jameer came back, they just came up short. The Lakers were just a better team.

ThuglifeJ
06-30-2014, 11:17 PM

it was a bad day for Man Ram

ThuglifeJ
06-30-2014, 11:23 PM
Alston had an 11.8 PER in the playoffs. He was trash. He had a 44.4% eFG%. Hell, 38% FG% says enough on it's own. He had an ORtg of 97...compared to Lewis' 111, Hedo's 106, Howard's 119, Pietrus' 117 and so on. Dude was GARBAGE in the playoffs.

Nelson came back too early and was not good. In fact, he was awful. But the second most awful playoff performer: Rafer Alston. They weren't gonna beat the Lakers unless their third All-Star, Jameer, made a miraculous return. Because Alston, again, just wasn't cutting it. They were playing 4 v 5 offensively all playoffs long. It didn't work out, but so be it.

They made it to the Finals despite him. I will always maintain that. He was awful. He posted a -0.2 offensive win share in the playoffs. YIKES!

Let's not forget, they took LAL to overtime in games 2 and 4, and won game 3. They played well when Jameer came back, they just came up short. The Lakers were just a better team.

Alston was great, his attacking led to a lot of misses from him but half those misses led to Dwight put backs..I clearly remember this series, I've watched it more than once cuz Kobe was crazy in it. Alston also showed a lot of heart on defense and all over the court, that doesn't show up in the Stat sheet. They could have won the series and Nelson nearly single handedly blew a huge game for them. Like you admitted (appreciate that) he played terrible and at the worst time. He lost Fisher on back to back to back open 3s which cost them a game.

It was devastating and Nelson was Orlando's most-wanted (in the bad way) by everyone there minus you.

Not to mention he took touches/handling away from Turkoglu who was on a randomly magical run that playoffs to pair with Dwight.

ThuglifeJ
06-30-2014, 11:27 PM
Look I don't want to harp on your boy though. He's your boy I respect that. I enjoyed him in college and he did have some very good years a little while back. But I just can't stand point guards who can't play a lick of point and feel the need to constantly jack shots. And he's at the top of that list.

TylerSL
06-30-2014, 11:49 PM
This seems like a bad move by Orlando. Jameer has been with them for a long time and he could have probably been a really good mentor to Payton.