PDA

View Full Version : Which Coach Has the Most Long-Term Value?

Quinnsanity
06-29-2014, 07:57 PM
Basically, considering coaching ability, experience, age, how many more years they're likely to coach, how difficult they are to deal with as an organization and so on, which current NBA coach has the most value? Or, put more simply, if you were building an organization and could have any coach, but with the same restrictions as above, who would you take? There's a part of me that would rather take a few years of Popovich and let him groom an assistant, but that's too risky. Instead, I think I'd probably take Rick Carlisle. He's only 54 and could probably coach another 15 years or so.

hugepatsfan
06-29-2014, 07:58 PM
I'm happy with Brad Stevens in BOS for the long haul.

Duncan = Donkey
06-29-2014, 07:59 PM
Im happy with Hornacek, but Thibs would be #1 i reckon

goingfor28
06-29-2014, 08:04 PM
Thibs only bc I don't see pop staying for a long term

MrfadeawayJB
06-29-2014, 08:34 PM
Yeah thibs and hornacek are good choices. Homer choice Dave Joeger. He did a great job getting a team to the playoffs despite it being his first season and having a multitude of injuries

Mr.B
06-29-2014, 08:36 PM
Basically, considering coaching ability, experience, age, how many more years they're likely to coach, how difficult they are to deal with as an organization and so on, which current NBA coach has the most value? Or, put more simply, if you were building an organization and could have any coach, but with the same restrictions as above, who would you take? There's a part of me that would rather take a few years of Popovich and let him groom an assistant, but that's too risky. Instead, I think I'd probably take Rick Carlisle. He's only 54 and could probably coach another 15 years or so.
Which is exactly why Cuban will never let a team steal him away from the Mavs. He's been amazing since he's been in Dallas and I could honestly easily see him coaching the Mavs at least as long as Pop had been in S.A.

JEDean89
06-30-2014, 01:45 AM
I have two homer picks in Brian Shaw and Derrick Fisher, both have solid long term value.

FlashBolt
06-30-2014, 01:55 AM
I have two homer picks in Brian Shaw and Derrick Fisher, both have solid long term value.

OP kind of mentioned coaching experience - which Shaw and Fisher lack. Hornacek is fairly young and one good year is too early even though he was very impressive. Thibs, Doc, Carlisle, and Stan Van Gundy are my top choices. I still don't see why Gundy was out of a job for so long. Dude is an amazing coach if you ask me.

PurpleLynch
06-30-2014, 06:52 AM
Carlisle is the safest one I think,he has been great and can adjust well against any coach in the league.Hornacek is high risk,but I'd like him too.

Kashmir13579
06-30-2014, 07:48 AM
Carlisle

astonmartin10
06-30-2014, 07:59 AM
Carlisle is 54 and Thibodeau is 56. Not to much age difference.

Long term I am going with Rick with his longer tenure, more wins and coaching a team in the the west and championship ring on his resume,but I think Tom is an amazing coach

SiteWolf
06-30-2014, 08:41 AM
what, no Jason Kidd? :p

IndyRealist
06-30-2014, 10:23 AM
"Long term" for an NBA coach is like 5 years. Ultimately unless you have a Pop or Phil Jackson, it's more about getting a coach to fit your personnel rather than building around a coach. For 90% of the league, a coach is a necessary cost, not an asset.

Mr.B
06-30-2014, 02:42 PM
"Long term" for an NBA coach is like 5 years. Ultimately unless you have a Pop or Phil Jackson, it's more about getting a coach to fit your personnel rather than building around a coach. For 90% of the league, a coach is a necessary cost, not an asset.

I would include Carlisle in the group of coaches that are assets. He has an amazing way of fitting players into his system and getting them to buy in.

Aust
06-30-2014, 02:48 PM
Thibs