PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix Suns will pursue pairing LeBron and Melo

king4day
06-29-2014, 12:54 PM
Normally I'd just post this in a trade thread but I wanted this to get some light for a few reasons.

1. The Suns are capable of having more salary cap space than any team out there.
2. The Suns can add both players and still have a stacked starting lineup AND bench.
3. There's rarely anything Suns related in the NBA forum.

Phoenix is the team nobody talks about with regards to the duo (until now since there's been no articles about it outside of Suns beatwriters). But now that word is out that McDonough is going to make a push this week, I think it's worth discussing.
As the Suns wouldn't have to give up assets to get both, a potential lineup could look like this:

Dragic/Ennis
Bledsoe/Goodwin
James/Green/Marcus Morris/Warren
Anthony/Markieff Morris
Plumlee/Len

It'd be a good combination of defense, scoring, and depth.
James was outspoken about not wanting to go through having Wade (without saying his name) to sit most of the season. With Phoenix' lineup, he could play 30-35 minutes if need be and the team would still be elite.

Armed with an offer that no else in the NBA can make a chance to partner with Carmelo Anthony on an instant championship contender the Phoenix Suns are planning an aggressive pursuit of LeBron James on Tuesday, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Suns officials understand the bid will be something of a long shot, but are determined to get a meeting with James to convince him how the possibilities of two full max contracts, a roster stocked with talented, young players and the chance to pick the superstar free-agent partner of his choice ought to make Phoenix one of his most appealing suitors.

Phoenix is determined to emerge as a legitimate destination for James and Anthony, who have privately shared an affinity for playing with each other in the NBA. Salary-cap structures make it prohibitive for teams elsewhere to fit these two stars together without completely gutting a roster, but Phoenix's general manager Ryan McDonough has constructed a far different reality to sell them in potential meetings next week, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

The Suns have $33.5 million in salary-cap space and could shed the next $10 million needed to sign James and Anthony to maximum contracts without unloading the young core of guards Eric Bledsoe and Goran Dragic and center Miles Plumlee that pushed the franchise to 48 victories in the Western Conference last season.

There's more to the article and it's a good read to understand why it would be a mistake for them to not at least hear McDonough's pitch.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/suns-to-pursue-lebron-james--carmelo-anthony-with-offer-for-them-to-play-together-163546302.html

ThuglifeJ
06-29-2014, 12:58 PM
Lol its a good team but it won't happen.

king4day
06-29-2014, 01:02 PM
Lol its a good team but it won't happen.

I won't argue that. I'm just happy, as a Suns fan, that there is actual talk to at least try to make it happen. And ya never know. James would be an idiot if he didn't see what's going on in the Valley.

D-Leethal
06-29-2014, 01:04 PM
Would be a scary good team but I think LeBron/Melo are bigger than PHX.

JNA17
06-29-2014, 01:05 PM
Won't happen. Lebron and Melo are not going to go from the Big Apple and South Beach to play in the Desert. :P

Wade n Fade
06-29-2014, 01:07 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh: This is not thread worthy. Lebron hasn't scheduled a meeting with any other team in the league. He is staying in Miami and that's a foregone conclusion.

thephoenixson28
06-29-2014, 01:09 PM
Won't happen. Lebron and Melo are not going to go from the Big Apple and South Beach to play in the Desert. :P

During basketball season it's not the Desert. He can live or go wherever he wants in the summer. Arizona is a beautiful place to be in the winter.

Hawkamania
That would certainly be a scary team, but unfortunately I don't see any chance of it happening.

king4day

The same could be said for why they'd consider Dallas, Houston, or Cleveland.
If it's about winning then the place won't matter.

thephoenixson28
06-29-2014, 01:12 PM
Imagine if we could flip Dragic and picks for Kevin Love. That team would be way better than the Miami Heat team.

ThuglifeJ
06-29-2014, 01:13 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh: This is not thread worthy. Lebron hasn't scheduled a meeting with any other team in the league. He is staying in Miami and that's a foregone conclusion.

Insecure much?

JNA17
06-29-2014, 01:14 PM
During basketball season it's not the Desert. He can live or go wherever he wants in the summer. Arizona is a beautiful place to be in the winter.

I was mostly being snide. :p

For serious reasons, it's the Western Conference and Lebron is not exactly a player that likes a challenge. Why play in a stacked conference like the West where teams 1-8 actually have a real chance at going to the finals when he can get a free ride to the Finals every year in the East?

That and after Wade and bosh opting out, I'm pretty much convinced now that Lebron and Melo are going to team up with the Heat. I don't see Lebron leaving now.

JLynn943
06-29-2014, 01:14 PM
I hope LeBron goes there (even though I'm a Kings fan, I've always at least sort of liked the Suns), but I doubt it happens. Still, that's a very good roster to be going to.

D-Leethal
06-29-2014, 01:15 PM
The same could be said for why they'd consider Dallas, Houston, or Cleveland.
If it's about winning then the place won't matter.

Its a nice thought to think its only about winning, but with celebrity-esque superstars on the level of these two its never ONLY about winning. The LeBron/Melo pairing will take on a brand of its own and it would have to be a hot spot or a major market. Miami isn't a major market per se, but its a high spot, flashy city riddled with big wigs from different professions.

Pakman
06-29-2014, 01:18 PM
Ohh I understand phx fans. You guys deserve it more than a team like houston but at this point I think its just wishful thinking

thephoenixson28
06-29-2014, 01:19 PM
LeBron coming to Phoenix is not that farfetched. He chose Miami over Cleveland (His Hometown), New York(Big Market), and New Jersey (Big Market. Why not phoenix if we could have that stacked team.

MrfadeawayJB
06-29-2014, 01:23 PM
Very intriguing but your forgetting one thing: phx is in the west. LeBron and melo if they paired up should stay in the east, since that's an easy route to the finals

ink
06-29-2014, 01:24 PM
(null)

That is a quality team.

D-Leethal
06-29-2014, 01:26 PM
LeBron coming to Phoenix is not that farfetched. He chose Miami over Cleveland (His Hometown), New York(Big Market), and New Jersey (Big Market. Why not phoenix if we could have that stacked team.

Miami is not your average "small market". Its a sexy spot with tons of celebs and is a place you can expand your brand, your business opportunities, your network. PHX is not that, unfortunately.

D-Leethal
06-29-2014, 01:27 PM
Very intriguing but your forgetting one thing: phx is in the west. LeBron and melo if they paired up should stay in the east, since that's an easy route to the finals

I do think they are both very cognizant of that fact. I can't see them moving the warzone west unless its a complete and utter no brainer.

chi-townlove1
06-29-2014, 01:29 PM
Good question. If it were to happen, hypothetically, would they hate Lebron and melo more. Or would they hate the suns just like they hate the heat.

Silent
06-29-2014, 01:30 PM
That's a better team then Miami they would have to at least Think about it

FlashBolt
06-29-2014, 01:32 PM
Philadelphia has a 32 million extra cap and that's including Thaddeus Young's salary. Amnesty him and you have room for 41 million of space coupled with MCW/Noel/Embiid/Jason Richardson (Player option), you can get James/Melo quite easily on this squad. I feel the best situation for Melo is Miami, Chicago, Philadelphia, Phoenix, and then Houston.

king4day
06-29-2014, 01:33 PM
I do think they are both very cognizant of that fact. I can't see them moving the warzone west unless its a complete and utter no brainer.

Can you imagine how bad the East would be if those two do move West?
Teams like Charlotte and Washington would have a legit chance to reach the finals.

king4day
06-29-2014, 01:36 PM
Good question. If it were to happen, hypothetically, would they hate Lebron and melo more. Or would they hate the suns just like they hate the heat.

I think James would be hated even more. he'd be seen as a ring chaser. Phoenix has likeable players on it so as a team, I don't think they would be too hated.

It would likely still be the same though. I hate Miami because they are too good. Fans would hate the Suns (or Rockets or Cavs) for continuing the super team era.

MrfadeawayJB
06-29-2014, 01:36 PM

Can you imagine how bad the East would be if those two do move West?
Teams like Charlotte and Washington would have a legit chance to reach the finals.

The east playoffs were already rough to watch. I'd prefer balance

thephoenixson28
06-29-2014, 01:37 PM

Melo managed when he was with the Nuggets. I think both can manage if they go to Phoenix.

D-Leethal
06-29-2014, 01:40 PM

The situations are different. For one, these guys are 30 now, not 26. This is when you typically expect guys to start chasing rings, not before they enter their prime, but when they begin to exit their prime. On top of that, this isn't Pat Riley stripping his entire team down to 1 player contract so three best friends (and three of the 10 best players in the league) can collude into teaming up for an insta-championship with the plan being to "easily" dominate the league for 7 straight titles. PHX has built a tremendous young nucleus the right way and left themselves flexibility to chase FAs and add to the core. They are a team and want to add to it. They aren't just throwing three top 10 players onto a roster and filling in the blanks with crap because they know thats all they need to do to win titles.

D-Leethal
06-29-2014, 01:41 PM
Melo managed when he was with the Nuggets. I think both can manage if they go to Phoenix.

And theres a reason he wanted to leave the Nuggets. Its not like he chose to live there, he was forced to live there for his first 7 years.

thephoenixson28
06-29-2014, 01:42 PM
Miami is not your average "small market". Its a sexy spot with tons of celebs and is a place you can expand your brand, your business opportunities, your network. PHX is not that, unfortunately.
Celebs come here and live here. Arizona is a big party city. But if they are not sold on that. We are a 1 hour plane ride from California, or Las vegas. Look what happen when Charles Barkley came to Phoenix. Imagine him coming to Phoenix. I think Phoenix deserves this more than any other franchise.

chi-townlove1
06-29-2014, 01:43 PM

The situations are different. For one, these guys are 30 now, not 26. This is when you typically expect guys to start chasing rings, not before they enter their prime, but when they begin to exit their prime. On top of that, this isn't Pat Riley stripping his entire team down to 1 player contract so three best friends (and three of the 10 best players in the league) can collude into teaming up for an insta-championship with the plan being to "easily" dominate the league for 7 straight titles. PHX has built a tremendous young nucleus the right way and left themselves flexibility to chase FAs and add to the core. They are a team and want to add to it. They aren't just throwing three top 10 players onto a roster and filling in the blanks with crap because they know thats all they need to do to win titles.

So are you saying that Lebron and melo would be hated, and not the suns. Because they did it the right way?

thephoenixson28
06-29-2014, 01:45 PM
And theres a reason he wanted to leave the Nuggets. Its not like he chose to live there, he was forced to live there for his first 7 years.
Then why is he leaving New York. When it comes down to it, it don't matter where you play as long as you win. LeBron could play for the Bucks, and still have a large amount of fans, and sponsors.

thephoenixson28
06-29-2014, 01:47 PM
Good question. If it were to happen, hypothetically, would they hate Lebron and melo more. Or would they hate the suns just like they hate the heat.I think he would be Loved. Everyone deep down Love phoenix. They are fun to watch.

FOXHOUND
06-29-2014, 01:48 PM
Interesting scenario, but probably not very realistic. I feel like NBA players and NBA fans/reporters view players completely differently. They look much more at proven results than the P word, potential. When they see a young talented player they can like them and think highly of them but they don't seem to flock to go play with young players. They want to go play with proven talent, guys who have been around a bit and have proven that they can make All-Star teams/make award teams/win awards/make the playoffs/play well in the playoffs, etc.

The reason you see Melo looking to sit down with Chicago is Rose, Noah and Thibs, Dallas is Dirk, Chandler, Monta and Carlisle, Lakers is Kobe, Houston is Dwight, Harden and McHale, etc. Teams like PHX and PHI are young and really talented and have all of that cap space but players just seem far more interested in playing with proven guys. I feel like there's much more of a earned respect aspect that gets overlooked.

MrfadeawayJB
06-29-2014, 01:59 PM

True but the west is much deeper and competitive than those days

FlashBolt
06-29-2014, 02:02 PM
Interesting scenario, but probably not very realistic. I feel like NBA players and NBA fans/reporters view players completely differently. They look much more at proven results than the P word, potential. When they see a young talented player they can like them and think highly of them but they don't seem to flock to go play with young players. They want to go play with proven talent, guys who have been around a bit and have proven that they can make All-Star teams/make award teams/win awards/make the playoffs/play well in the playoffs, etc.

The reason you see Melo looking to sit down with Chicago is Rose, Noah and Thibs, Dallas is Dirk, Chandler, Monta and Carlisle, Lakers is Kobe, Houston is Dwight, Harden and McHale, etc. Teams like PHX and PHI are young and really talented and have all of that cap space but players just seem far more interested in playing with proven guys. I feel like there's much more of a earned respect aspect that gets overlooked.

No question about this. Phoenix looks REALLY good, though. If they can sneak in Bledsoe with Melo, that is a serious team that will score against anyone.

Bledsoe
Melo
Gerald Green
Dragic
Plumlee

With Morris bros on your bench? Pretty good fit if you ask me.

DarkKnight
06-29-2014, 02:11 PM

Really thats funny ? Ok

IndyRealist
06-29-2014, 02:11 PM
Imagine if we could flip Dragic and picks for Kevin Love. That team would be way better than the Miami Heat team.

Keep Dragic, they can sign Lebron and Melo, and then sign and trade Bledsoe for Love. They can play 3/4/5 and bump Gerald Green to SG.

todu82
06-29-2014, 02:23 PM
Would make Phoenix even better but I doubt very much Lebron or Melo would go there.

D-Leethal
06-29-2014, 03:07 PM
So are you saying that Lebron and melo would be hated, and not the suns. Because they did it the right way?

I don't think Melo would be too hated because he is 30 at this is his last prime free agency. Knick fans might hate him, non-Knick fans would probably just bash the Knicks and say we ****ed up our shot and he did the right thing by leaving at this point in his career.

I think for LeBron it would be like "oh hey look, LeBron is running to the easy title again. Surprise, surprise."

Suns I think would get nothing but respect for putting together a team of that caliber that has enough cap space to offer two true max contracts and not a collusion of superfriends taking less than market value the circumvent the salary cap that was designed in part so three of the top 10-20 players in the game couldn't sign with the same team. This is not Pat the Rat with a completely empty roster, flashing his rings at the superfriends saying "come to papa I have a master plan", its an extremely well done job by a young front office from start to finish in a fast tracked rebuild of the Nash era that only took about 2-3 years to execute. They put together a winning young team with a very bright future that still had the opportunity to pounce into a contender if an opportunity arose.

D-Leethal
06-29-2014, 03:10 PM
I think he would be Loved. Everyone deep down Love phoenix. They are fun to watch.

You clearly don't get it. But keep believin'. "Its only about winning" sounds nice but its simply not 100% accurate. Winning might be the biggest thing, but its not the only thing.

NYSpirit1
06-29-2014, 03:19 PM

Because Carmelo Anthony is not a Phoenix Sun. And he won't be. Melo hates small markets even more than LeBron and said as much in a recent interview.

Sactown
06-29-2014, 03:25 PM
Regardless of the odds this is cool to see a small market team make a move and is a good sign for Phoenix , congratulations to your franchise and all the negative comments are ridiculous and this is thread worthy...

D-Leethal
06-29-2014, 03:31 PM
I don't want to make it seem like I'm putting down PHX. I love that squad, find myself usually rooting for that franchise and think they did a fantastic job. I also DO think they are very capable of attracting max cats and building a title contender. I just don't think those max cats are guys like Melo and LeBron, who care about their brand as much as they care about winning. Your mother and girlfriend knows who LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony are, and they are two of the most recognizable names and faces in all of sports. Thats a very carefully decorated name, brand and image they crafted over a long period of time. And these guys will be stars on any team but your selling it way short if you think "its all the same" no matter where your at.

IndyRealist
06-29-2014, 03:32 PM
I think they're past that point in their careers. Their brands are about as expanded as they are going to be, and if are have a big name on a winning team it is unnecessary to be in a big media market to sell nationally and internationally.

D-Leethal
06-29-2014, 03:34 PM
Also, as I said earlier, the "Melo and LeBron" pairing will form a brand in and of itself. The two pals since HS, drafted right next to each other with all the hype coming full circle to team up. That will require a market and a spotlight bigger than PHX if it ever happens. I honestly think Miami, LA, NY are the only places with the requisite spotlight to accommodate something that big. Miami really only by precedent because they have already done it before.

D-Leethal
06-29-2014, 03:36 PM
I think they're past that point in their careers. Their brands are about as expanded as they are going to be, and if are have a big name on a winning team it is unnecessary to be in a big media market to sell nationally and internationally.

Your brand goes beyond your playing years. Look at Magic in LA. You want to make your mark in a big city and this generation of superstars have that type of foresight I think.

Riodagoat
06-29-2014, 03:38 PM
Pretty big names on that team, and would look really good on paper. But I am the only one who thinks this would not be very good?

That's a very thin lineup, especially competing against the West. You have either Dragic or Bledsoe at 2, which would be both undersized for the position. Melo can't guard his own shadow, let alone the bigger guys like Randolph or Duncan. And while you have Lebron on that team, you can't expect him to be able to guard the 4 spot for 82 games.

Cruey
06-29-2014, 03:39 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Melo is extremely overrated? Why would LeBron want to team up with him, when they both play the exact same position? A Melo/LeBron duo would never work, especially in the West. LeBron needs to go back to the Cavs and team up with Irving and Wiggins.

D-Leethal
06-29-2014, 03:42 PM
Pretty big names on that team, and would look really good on paper. But I am the only one who thinks this would not be very good?

That's a very thin lineup, especially competing against the West. You have either Dragic or Bledsoe at 2, which would be both undersized for the position. Melo can't guard his own shadow, let alone the bigger guys like Randolph or Duncan. And while you have Lebron on that team, you can't expect him to be able to guard the 4 spot for 82 games.

Melo "not being able to guard his own shadow" is the biggest hyperbole that gets regurgitated on this forum. No surprised there though.

Am I the only one who thinks Melo is extremely overrated? Why would LeBron want to team up with him, when they both play the exact same position? A Melo/LeBron duo would never work, especially in the West. LeBron needs to go back to the Cavs and team up with Irving and Wiggins.

They are interchangeable at the 3/4, on offense they compliment each other beautifully with LeBron as the penetrator/disher and Melo as the sniper/finisher. They can both do what they do best on offense without overlapping games like LeBron and Wade do, so they should both conceivably thrive and hit their peak on offense simultaneously, which Wade and LeBron were never able to do in the half court.

Cruey
06-29-2014, 03:45 PM
Melo "not being able to guard his own shadow" is the biggest hyperbole that gets regurgitated on this forum. No surprised there though.

They are interchangeable at the 3/4, on offense they compliment each other beautifully with LeBron as the penetrator/disher and Melo as the sniper/finisher. They can both do what they do best on offense without overlapping games like LeBron and Wade do, so they should both conceivably thrive and hit their peak on offense simultaneously, which Wade and LeBron were never able to do in the half court.

Don't think it would be that easy, sir. Melo plays no defense, and he would get thrown around by PF's. Melo couldn't even get the Knicks to the playoffs in the East, I think they're are much better options for LeBron if he really wants to win.

Riodagoat
06-29-2014, 04:05 PM

Hyperbole or not, he's still not close to an average defender, and he will never be a top tier defender. At 30, his defense isn't going to get better.

D-Leethal
06-29-2014, 04:17 PM
Don't think it would be that easy, sir. Melo plays no defense, and he would get thrown around by PF's. Melo couldn't even get the Knicks to the playoffs in the East, I think they're are much better options for LeBron if he really wants to win.

If the reports are true, LeBron obviously doesn't think so. Phil Jackson also seems to think he is a damn good player you can build a contender around. Lets take your word for it though...

And Melo has played PF the majority of his minutes the past two seasons and it definitely wasn't the big guys that were killing us last year - it was the opposing backcourts.

D-Leethal
06-29-2014, 04:17 PM
Hyperbole or not, he's still not close to an average defender, and he will never be a top tier defender. At 30, his defense isn't going to get better.

He is an average defender at worst, makes his fair share of positive plays on that end and any Knick fan who has watched him these past two seasons, including the ones who hate Melo, will admit that.

FOXHOUND
06-29-2014, 04:20 PM
No question about this. Phoenix looks REALLY good, though. If they can sneak in Bledsoe with Melo, that is a serious team that will score against anyone.

Bledsoe
Melo
Gerald Green
Dragic
Plumlee

With Morris bros on your bench? Pretty good fit if you ask me.

Oh yeah, no doubt they're very talented. Winning 48 games in the west is very difficult, adding a LeBron/Melo alone may turn them into a legitimate contender.

Raidaz4Life
06-29-2014, 04:26 PM
As a Lakers fan I sincerely hope that both sign there. I'd rather see them tear it up down there than in Miami, Houston or even Cleveland.

NYKnickFanatic
06-29-2014, 04:28 PM
I would actually like that.

NYKnickFanatic
06-29-2014, 04:29 PM
As a Lakers fan I sincerely hope that both sign there. I'd rather see them tear it up down there than in Miami, Houston or even Cleveland.

Exactly.

hugepatsfan
06-29-2014, 04:31 PM

Not at all man. They'd still have a plenty of good bench players. The only spot they'd be weak at is backup C unless Alex Len made a year 2 leap. He was the #5 pick just last year so it's not like he has no potential to either.

Dragic/Bledsoe (one comes off the bench just to add some balance)
Gerald Green/P.J. Tucker
Lebron/Morris
Melo/other Morris
Plumlee/Len

bleedprple&gold
06-29-2014, 05:22 PM
I would like to know how Phoenix can shed another $10M to get the cap space for Melo and Lebron while keep Bledsoe and Dragic? That will require trading several players for no salary. I supposed they could do it if they traded Green and the Morris twins, or Len, Green and one of the Morris twins. But I doubt teams will be willing to take on those guys and help create a basically unbeatable super team.

shep33
06-29-2014, 05:31 PM
It would be cool, but I'm not sure they'd trust Sarver long term

ink
06-29-2014, 05:36 PM
It would be cool, but I'm not sure they'd trust Sarver long term

good point.

Dade County
06-29-2014, 05:43 PM
i like that the suns are even thinking about it.

it would be cool, but i can't picture them in that city and wearing those jerseys.

i can picture a Lakers jerseys, HEAT jerseys or a Bulls jerseys (& even though, I wish nothing good ever happens to the knicks, i can also see the duo in a knicks jerseys).

kjdills13
06-29-2014, 05:54 PM
Len, green, warrnen ( or Morris) is 11 million

Trade them to a team with ease. Basicaly giving away a first round pick, the 5th pick in the draft and a guy who had a career year. Could package them to the lakers for Nash them get Nash to restructure to finish his career as a sun and win a championship

king4day
06-29-2014, 06:02 PM
Len, green, warrnen ( or Morris) is 11 million

Trade them to a team with ease. Basicaly giving away a first round pick, the 5th pick in the draft and a guy who had a career year. Could package them to the lakers for Nash them get Nash to restructure to finish his career as a sun and win a championship

Those guys are still assets. Better off trading them for future picks.

FYL_McVeezy
06-29-2014, 06:37 PM
Neither Lebron nor Melo are moving their family to the desert....next question

IndyRealist
06-29-2014, 06:37 PM
I would like to know how Phoenix can shed another $10M to get the cap space for Melo and Lebron while keep Bledsoe and Dragic? That will require trading several players for no salary. I supposed they could do it if they traded Green and the Morris twins, or Len, Green and one of the Morris twins. But I doubt teams will be willing to take on those guys and help create a basically unbeatable super team.
What would make them "unstoppable" is having basically a playoff team in Morris', Green, Len, etc coming off the bench behind an all-star starting lineup. Depending on the new cap, they have as much as $32M to spend on those two, then they can sign Bledsoe to whatever. That accounts for Bledsoe's cap hold.

bleedprple&gold
06-29-2014, 06:47 PM
What would make them "unstoppable" is having basically a playoff team in Morris', Green, Len, etc coming off the bench behind an all-star starting lineup. Depending on the new cap, they have as much as $32M to spend on those two, then they can sign Bledsoe to whatever. That accounts for Bledsoe's cap hold.

Yea but I don't think you can get both Lebron and Melo for only $32M.

KnickaBocka.44
06-29-2014, 07:04 PM
Neither Lebron nor Melo are moving their family to the desert....next question

Phoenix is like a retirement home for athletes. Plus, the climate during the season is actually very nice.

D-Leethal
06-29-2014, 07:06 PM

Morris', Green and Len are a playoff team now?

DR_1
06-29-2014, 07:33 PM

No, it's not a foregone conclusion.

IndyRealist
06-29-2014, 07:46 PM
Morris', Green and Len are a playoff team now?

With Dragic, Bledsoe, and Plumlee? Just about.

hugepatsfan
06-29-2014, 07:47 PM
I don't think it will happen because the history the Suns' owner has of being cheap. The Suns can make it work signing these guys but they then have to go over the cap to sign Bledsoe to a max deal. Dragic can opt out next year and try for an extension and he'd be dumb not to. The Morris' are RFAs and could get some action on the market. Gerald Green is up after this year too. The Suns owner would have to make a commitment to being in the luxury tax year after year and he doesn't have a history of that. I think that, combined with PHX not being the best market, is going to be what does them in in their pursuit of this. They still have a bright future though. It just sucks for them that they're stuck in the West. Being in the East would speed up their rebuilding unbelievably.

Duncan = Donkey
06-29-2014, 08:03 PM
Sign em up Ryan

sep11ie
06-29-2014, 08:10 PM
Celebs come here and live here. Arizona is a big party city. But if they are not sold on that. We are a 1 hour plane ride from California, or Las vegas. Look what happen when Charles Barkley came to Phoenix. Imagine him coming to Phoenix. I think Phoenix deserves this more than any other franchise.

Lol

thephoenixson28
06-29-2014, 08:23 PM
Lol
What so funny?

NBA_Starter
06-29-2014, 10:00 PM
The Suns would get a lot of new fans.

Quinnsanity
06-29-2014, 11:13 PM
Can we all at least agree that this is the most fun scenario? Phoenix is a really likable franchise with great fans, Jeff Hornacek is one of the league's more inventive coaches, we'd get to stack the Western Conference playoffs even more than we already have, it would just be awesome. I know it's not going to happen, but man, this is what we should all be rooting for. Even as a Knicks fan, I know I'd enjoy the hell out of this.

Da Knicks
06-29-2014, 11:16 PM
That team would be fun to watch and the most dangerous team we could probably ever see. I don't think Melo or Lebron would join but that would be a team i would not be too upset if they teamed up at.

PurpleLynch
06-30-2014, 07:15 AM
Lol,just do it,so we can trade Nash back and he'll finally win his final ring with Melo and Lebron. And we just clear 9 millions.

Bucsfan40
06-30-2014, 09:13 AM
I don't think it will happen because the history the Suns' owner has of being cheap. The Suns can make it work signing these guys but they then have to go over the cap to sign Bledsoe to a max deal. Dragic can opt out next year and try for an extension and he'd be dumb not to. The Morris' are RFAs and could get some action on the market. Gerald Green is up after this year too. The Suns owner would have to make a commitment to being in the luxury tax year after year and he doesn't have a history of that. I think that, combined with PHX not being the best market, is going to be what does them in in their pursuit of this. They still have a bright future though. It just sucks for them that they're stuck in the West. Being in the East would speed up their rebuilding unbelievably. That is the biggest misconception about Sarver. He would always spend money on players. He just spent really badly.

hugepatsfan
06-30-2014, 09:32 AM
That is the biggest misconception about Sarver. He would always spend money on players. He just spent really badly.

Maybe I'm wrong but I remember him selling off all his first round picks (Luol Deng, Rajon Rondo). He dumped Kurt Thomas was a valuable role player on those Suns teams because no one else played any defense. They got rid of Joe Johnson because they didn't want to pay him the max (that one is understandable, but since it's part of an overall trend I feel it deserves some mention).

king4day
06-30-2014, 09:51 AM
Maybe I'm wrong but I remember him selling off all his first round picks (Luol Deng, Rajon Rondo). He dumped Kurt Thomas was a valuable role player on those Suns teams because no one else played any defense. They got rid of Joe Johnson because they didn't want to pay him the max (that one is understandable, but since it's part of an overall trend I feel it deserves some mention).

FWIW: http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2014/6/28/5852244/start-your-engines-phoenix-suns-owner-plans-to-spend-way-over-the-cap

As someone mentioned, he's spent, but spent poorly. The draft pick selling issues were his worst moments. But overall, if it means putting out a winner, he'll spend.

hugepatsfan
06-30-2014, 09:56 AM
FWIW: http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2014/6/28/5852244/start-your-engines-phoenix-suns-owner-plans-to-spend-way-over-the-cap

As someone mentioned, he's spent, but spent poorly. The draft pick selling issues were his worst moments. But overall, if it means putting out a winner, he'll spend.

I stand corrected then. Though I will say, the concern wouldn't be spending over the cap this summer. What happens downy he road when Melo and Lebron are all making ~ $20 million and Bledsoe is getting ~ $13-15 mil at least. Dragic probably opts out next year and gets an extension of at least $10+ mil. We're all talking about what a great situation PHX is because of the role players they have beyond those 4. But to keep those guys the Suns might have to go close to BRK territory in terms of the luxury tax. Any owner can say now that they'll do that but as a player I think you have to have at least some skepticism that any owner would actually follow through.

siix
06-30-2014, 02:02 PM
**** this team would be amazing.....but not gonna happen

mdm692
06-30-2014, 03:32 PM

The thing about the picks is always blamed on Sarver but it had a lot to do with Mike D Antoni as well who wanted to trade for useless veterans like Kurt Thomas instead of developing rookies.

rockets-fan
06-30-2014, 03:47 PM
This would be so fun! Dragic and lebron alone is lethal, add melo and you got yourself a team right here!

Jamiecballer
06-30-2014, 04:58 PM
If it's only about winning this is the best option for a Lebron/Melo pairing. I suspect James is smart enough to see that but doubt Melo would. Plus its never just about winning.

IversonIsKrazy
06-30-2014, 07:26 PM
Would be unreal, but your frontcourt defense of Plumee/Melo would be horrendous lol. I hope Phoenix does get a huge acquisition in the off-season w/all the money the have. I don't see this happening, but I think it's good that Phoenix is even trying and may be aggressive. But damn would this be goddamn Scary.