PDA

View Full Version : Kidd denied promotion; granted permission to interview elsewhere

InRoseWeTrust
06-28-2014, 09:36 PM
http://nypost.com/2014/06/28/denied-promotion-jason-kidd-gets-ok-to-talk-with-bucks/

"Apparently Jason Kidd isnít satisfied with just coaching, but heíll have to be if he stays with the Nets.

According to a league source, Kidd recently approached ownership with a series of demands, including the role of overseeing the Netsí basketball operations department in addition to his head coaching responsibilities. The source said Kidd didnít want general manager Billy King to be dismissed, but wanted to be given a title and placed above him in the organizational hierarchy.

Ownership declined to grant Kidd that kind of power, which is rare for any coach in the league to have. The source said ownership felt Kidd wasnít ready for that kind of responsibility after having only one year of coaching experience ó the team finished his first season on the bench with a 44-38 record, good for sixth in the Eastern Conference ó and allowed Kidd to seek other opportunities."

GiantsSwaGG
06-28-2014, 09:39 PM
Well that was quick

ManRam
06-28-2014, 09:39 PM
Apparently he's gonna talk with the Bucks.

Pretty crazy he's making demands for that much power after one year...yikes.

NBA_Starter
06-28-2014, 09:43 PM

Too bad Cleveland already hired a coach.

Method28
06-28-2014, 09:47 PM
LOL what in the world

ManRam
06-28-2014, 09:48 PM
I mean, maybe he saw that Fish got an insanely more lucrative contract and felt he was entitled to make a power play. I guess I can see that...but one year of decent coaching? IDK...too soon.

Greedy22
06-28-2014, 09:52 PM
I mean, maybe he saw that Fish got an insanely more lucrative contract and felt he was entitled to make a power play. I guess I can see that...but one year of decent coaching? IDK...too soon.
That's how I think he saw it too without even realizing how close those 2 are. Agreed, wayyyy too soon.

QueensG_718
06-28-2014, 09:56 PM

Good insight. I believe that's what happened but damn after just one year lol

*Silver&Black*
06-28-2014, 09:59 PM
Bucks shouldn't do this.

jimm120
06-28-2014, 10:01 PM
He saw Kerr getting offered that huge contract.

He saw that fisher got a big deal.

He saw many coaches getting hired and receiving president+coach positions for a ton of money.

He wanted in.

He just has to consider himself lucky he got a head coaching gig immediately. There are players that years after retiring, haven't been able to become head coaches for teams.

FlashBolt
06-28-2014, 10:02 PM
And this is why you don't hire someone who has no experience as a coach. So much respect I have lost for Kidd. Once he started spilling drinks to stall, I knew he was up to no good.

Enzo
Kidd needs to turn it down a notch and learn how to become a solid coach before he starts demanding crap like that. Acting like a cry baby because rookie coaches like Kerr and Fisher are getting paid more then him.

Shlumpledink
Did he even do a good job coaching last year? No team is going to hand over the keys to their team, he definitely has not earned that.

Metsboi69
06-28-2014, 10:06 PM
Kidd really has very little respect and just expects things to be given to him. He's a coach now, he's not a legendary PG who could get away with stuff like this. He probably expected to be told yes, because he hasn't been told no since he was 18.

This is going to get very very ugly, and I see him coaching NOWHERE next season. Bucks should stay away and I don't know how he stays in Brooklyn.

InRoseWeTrust
06-28-2014, 10:07 PM

lvlheaded
06-28-2014, 10:08 PM
Wow. Kidd making demands real early. He apparently has a strong relationship with one of the guys in Milwaukee (used to be his financial advisor). If he leaves, I'm curious where BK goes for a coach

GiantsSwaGG
06-28-2014, 10:10 PM
Wow. Kidd making demands real early. He apparently has a strong relationship with one of the guys in Milwaukee (used to be his financial advisor). If he leaves, I'm curious where BK goes for a coach

Kerry Kittles?

Metsboi69
06-28-2014, 10:18 PM
Next coach of the Nets Mark Jackson.. Good riddance

jaydubb
06-28-2014, 10:24 PM
Jason kidd= Lakers 2014 head coach!! :win:

:faint:

elledaddy
06-28-2014, 10:25 PM
The Nets want Mark Jackson, Kidd just gave them an excuse

Sadds The Gr8
06-28-2014, 10:28 PM
Wtf? He wants this kindve power already?

Sandman
06-28-2014, 10:29 PM
Sucks, he paved the way for Fisher to get 25

but this is a direct response to Fisher and Kerr getting paaaaid. Kidd is only making 2.5 these guys got a little more than double.

Enzo
06-28-2014, 10:29 PM
Any team that hires Kidd after this nonsense are fools IMO.

Metsboi69
06-28-2014, 10:33 PM
Sucks, he paved the way for Fisher to get 25

but this is a direct response to Fisher and Kerr getting paaaaid. Kidd is only making 2.5 these guys got a little more than double.

Your right and it doesn't help Kidd is an egomaniac. Thing is Kidd did an AVERAGE job as a coach last year. To demand head of basketball operations after a year is CRAZY. The only really good quality he has as a coach are the players seem to respect him.

Sandman
06-28-2014, 10:34 PM
he's trying to get fired, it is a really weird play.

Mr. Baller
06-28-2014, 10:39 PM
Well kidd got it

ohreally
06-28-2014, 10:40 PM
What a total s..t. Certainly a good thing that the Nets basically seem to have said "buh bye."

I guess this will seal Livingston's leaving, which is a shame. But getting rid of Kidd is a plus.

MrfadeawayJB
06-28-2014, 10:40 PM
Who the **** does Jason Kidd think he is? He's not even that great of a coach.

NBA_Starter
06-28-2014, 10:42 PM
Something has to be going on behind the scenes here?

DarkKnight
06-28-2014, 10:45 PM
He can't drive and now this

ManRam
06-28-2014, 10:45 PM
Bucks have potentially already offered him the team president role :laugh:

https://twitter.com/GeryWoelfel/status/483074153852207104

Metsboi69
06-28-2014, 10:46 PM

Kidd expected to be told yes after asking for ridiculous demands and it blew up in his face. Now he's stuck in Milwaukee. That's the gist of it.

ManRam
06-28-2014, 10:47 PM

Woj has weighed in...

NBA_Starter
06-28-2014, 10:59 PM
Kidd expected to be told yes after asking for ridiculous demands and it blew up in his face. Now he's stuck in Milwaukee. That's the gist of it.

Wow, talk about a self inflicted wound.

waveycrockett
06-28-2014, 11:03 PM
Helloooooo Mark Jackson

Crackadalic
06-28-2014, 11:04 PM
Do you really blame him? He probably knows something behind the scenes he doesn't like and wants out.

kobe4thewinbang
06-28-2014, 11:04 PM
Is Kidd clinically drunk? What the heck has he done to deserve being team president?

Chrisclover
06-28-2014, 11:09 PM
exactly what I am thinking. Kidd is sort of jealous of Fisher

nycericanguy
06-28-2014, 11:10 PM
Ballsy for sure, and kind of messed up considering the Nets gave him the chance to coach just days after he retired.

But maybe he doesn't like the direction of the team, I mean King has really made some dumb moves the past few years, I have no idea how he still has a job.

Quinnsanity
06-28-2014, 11:11 PM
Now I know him asking for this is ridiculous... but if you're Brooklyn... could he really be any worse than Billy King?

Kashmir13579
06-28-2014, 11:13 PM
If nets are smart they will do whatever Kidd suggests.

MrfadeawayJB
06-28-2014, 11:15 PM
@WojYahooNBA: Jason Kidd has deep personal and professional ties with new Bucks owner Marc Lasry, and hiring him to run franchise is a real consideration.

Greedy bastard

Jets012
06-28-2014, 11:28 PM
I like Kidd as a coach. He did a really good job.

But he's acting like a baby. Should the Nets be giving this power? Yes because Billy King is awful. Should Kidd be asking for this type of power? No not this early in his career.

The franchise is a joke and it's a shame. Both of NYs franchises are pure garbage

xxplayerxx23
06-28-2014, 11:32 PM
I like Kidd as a coach. He did a really good job.

But he's acting like a baby. Should the Nets be giving this power? Yes because Billy King is awful. Should Kidd be asking for this type of power? No not this early in his career.

The franchise is a joke and it's a shame. Both of NYs franchises are pure garbage

Speak for yourself we got Phil :dance: :dance2:

HandsOnTheWheel
06-28-2014, 11:37 PM
Rather quick.

Crackadalic
06-28-2014, 11:46 PM
Kidd comes to the knicks one year. We have the best season in 10 years. Retires and have one of the most underperforming season in our franchise

Nets coach in one year. First time the nets in brooklyn make it to the 2nd round. Leaves and nets possibly doesn't make the playoffs

Kidd has ego but he's not dumb. He knows when **** bout to go down with a team and leaves before the mess starts

Aust
06-28-2014, 11:51 PM
lol earn it. Don't demand it after 1 meh season.

Chrisclover
06-28-2014, 11:53 PM
He saw Kerr getting offered that huge contract.

He saw that fisher got a big deal.

He saw many coaches getting hired and receiving president+coach positions for a ton of money.

He wanted in.

He just has to consider himself lucky he got a head coaching gig immediately. There are players that years after retiring, haven't been able to become head coaches for teams.
But he turned things around,got multiple coach of the Month awards, and led the Nets to the playoffs. of course he has something to back him up.

grandsalami
06-28-2014, 11:53 PM
RT @WojYahooNBA: As for U-Turn back to Nets? Likely too late. "Russians are done with Kidd," one source tells Yahoo.

RIP Kidd,

PraiseJesus
06-28-2014, 11:54 PM
YOU GOT boned!

grandsalami
06-28-2014, 11:59 PM
RT @WojYahooNBA: As for U-Turn back to Nets? Likely too late. "Russians are done with Kidd," one source tells Yahoo.

RIP Kidd,

Kidd should go into hiding..... You do not like angry russians

cmellofan15
06-29-2014, 12:06 AM
Is Kidd clinically drunk? What the heck has he done to deserve being team president?

yes!

kingkenny01
06-29-2014, 12:12 AM
Please no, john Hammond isn't that bad he won executive of the year once and he was forced to make moves by herb kohl (who is gone now) to compete instead of tanking and rebuilding. I'm fine with larry drew going but I'm not fine hiring a one season coach to lead and be gm

ink
06-29-2014, 12:26 AM
Too bad Cleveland already hired a coach.

Actually I'd say they dodged a bullet. The guy has exactly ONE year of coaching experience. What happens after two years? President of the USA?

Come on Jason, simmer down. You might talk your way onto a very bad team -- that would be the only team that would want a DOBOps with one year of coaching on his resume.

dcenate05050
06-29-2014, 12:29 AM
bucks are dumb

*Silver&Black*
06-29-2014, 12:45 AM
bucks are dumb

If this happens, I would agree. I'm glad my Hawks have a great GM and coach duo on the same page (and from the Spurs system), we just need a star player. Bucks just got their potential star player just 2 days ago and already is going to throw all of this away giving everything to Kidd. Don't do it Bucks. Hire from the Spurs.

Hawkamania
06-29-2014, 12:54 AM

My thoughts exactly. It must really be awful having Billy King as his GM. ;)

lamzoka
06-29-2014, 12:59 AM
Billy King is a ****** GM, but WTF JKidd thinking? its too soon for that.

THE MTL
06-29-2014, 01:02 AM
Thats BS. So what Kerr and Fisher make more cause he "paved" the way. Kidd made more money than Isiah Thomas and Magic Johnson but you dont see them crying about paving the way. Also, it is his agent that should be fired. You the ones who negotiated that deal. What are the Nets supposed to do? Reject the offer and give him more than what he asked for lmao.

Kidd is greedy and this behavior is shameful. And technically Billy King hired him, now he wants his job

GiantsSwaGG
06-29-2014, 02:05 AM
Damn, I wish DoMeFavors wasn't banned :(

slashsnake
06-29-2014, 02:21 AM
But he turned things around,got multiple coach of the Month awards, and led the Nets to the playoffs. of course he has something to back him up.

But he won 44 games in a REALLY weak conference with a team with talent to win. He didn't turn them around from a bad start as well as PJ Carlesimo the year before.

To me, last year did nothing either way. Didn't make me think any bit that yes, that was a good move, or no it wasn't.

CoaChad
06-29-2014, 04:00 AM
I think something bigger than seeing other coaches getting more is going on here...based on how quickly this is materializing plus the existing relationship between Kidd and new Bucks ownership hints that maybe it was a calculated move by Kidd, who never got along with the Nets front office from day one.

Billionaire Bucks ownership + Jabari Parker + Jason Kidd (in any role) = Milwaukee Culture Change Complete.

I am hoping I wake up to this being official....

More-Than-Most
06-29-2014, 04:25 AM
Good for the Nets... Seriously **** Kidd... What a dumbass

leprechaun5
06-29-2014, 04:33 AM
Kidd is a moron, he's just a horrible person and a horrible coach. Nets will be much better with anyone replacing him.

CoaChad
06-29-2014, 04:55 AM
Just out of curiosity what makes Kidd a dumbass, moron or a horrible person???

Is it his accomplishments???

- Was named High School National Player of the Year by Naismith, Parade and USA Today
- Won two California State Championships
- Accepted to and attending the University of Cal - Berkeley for two years before entering the draft
- Won the USBWA Freshman of the Year Award
- NCAA All-American as a Sophomore
- Sharing Co-Rookie of the year honors with Grant Hill in 1994
- Winning an Olympic Gold medal in 2000
- Was a ten -time All-Star
- Consistently was a league leader in assists and triple doubles
- NBA Champion
- Future First Ballot Hall of Famer

Nevermind the fact that he was respected by his peers and others around the NBA enough to be hired as a Head Coach upon his retirement from the league. This is probably because during his career he was respected as a fierce competitor, was devoted to playing team basketball, and recognized by his peers to be a hard working professional student of the game.

Or perhaps it is the fact that he has accomplished even more off the court, being known as one of the most community-oriented players in the NBA and his foundation has given time and resources generously to support hundreds of causes, literally transforming the lives of thousands of individuals.

Just curious as to what makes him a dumbass.....

JeffG20
06-29-2014, 05:25 AM

- Was named High School National Player of the Year by Naismith, Parade and USA Today
- Accepted to and attending the University of Cal - Berkeley for two years before entering the draft
- NBA Champion

Nevermind the fact that he was respected by his peers and others around the NBA enough to be hired as a Head Coach upon his retirement from the league. This is probably because during his career he was respected as a fierce competitor, was devoted to playing team basketball, and recognized by his peers to be a hard working professional student of the game.

Or perhaps it is the fact that he has accomplished even more off the court, being known as one of the most community-oriented players in the NBA and his foundation has given time and resources generously to support hundreds of causes, literally transforming the lives of thousands of individuals.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/jason-kidd-in-talks-to-run-bucks--basketball-operations-after-failed-power-play-with-nets-072327526.html

This sums it up nicely, and he's not Saint off the court

but to sum up the article

-" Despite Kidd's greatness as a Hall of Fame point guard, he had a long career of clashing with front-office executives and coaches, a domestic abuse charge and a DWI guilty plea that left him suspended for his first two games as an NBA head coach."

- " They had listened to Kidd plead with them to make Lawrence Frank the highest-paid assistant coach in the NBA, only to have Kidd inexplicably demand that Frank be demoted within weeks of the start of the season."

-"For a short time in November, Kidd had declared he would pay the balance of Frank's six-year, $7 million-plus deal out of his own pocket Ė only to backtrack quickly, sources said. Ownership let Kidd have his way and demote Frank, and ultimately has been left to pay the balance of Frank's contract."

-"Before the Nets traded Kidd to Dallas in 2008, franchise officials believed he had faked a migraine headache and missed a game against the New York Knicks. Within the NBA community, there was little surprise about the apparent Shakespearean ending to Kidd's brief, but tumultuous coaching tenure with the Nets."

Yea, sounds respected.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/crime/wife-jason-kidd-serial-abuser-adulterer

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/8168193/jason-kidd-new-york-knicks-arrested-charged-dwi

chitownbulls
06-29-2014, 05:25 AM
Is anyone else more intrigued by the fact that a ****** poster was the first to break the story, more than the fact that kid is leaving?

THE MTL
06-29-2014, 05:26 AM
Kidd is out of control. I had no idea he had such a huge ego.

Retired and directly went into a HEAD COACHING position without any type of experience. No commentating, no analysts, no assistant coaching. Now, in year two he DEMANDS to be president of all basketball operations. Im telling you, the Bucks better watch out because in Year 3, he might want to be the owner of the team.

chitownbulls
06-29-2014, 05:31 AM
Kidd is out of control. I had no idea he had such a huge ego.

Retired and directly went into a HEAD COACHING position without any type of experience. No commentating, no analysts, no assistant coaching. Now, in year two he DEMANDS to be president of all basketball operations. Im telling you, the Bucks better watch out because in Year 3, he might want to be the owner of the team.

He's got some cahonas, I'll give him that

CoaChad
06-29-2014, 05:51 AM
This sums it up nicely, and he's not Saint off the court

but to sum up the article

-" Despite Kidd's greatness as a Hall of Fame point guard, he had a long career of clashing with front-office executives and coaches, a domestic abuse charge and a DWI guilty plea that left him suspended for his first two games as an NBA head coach."

- " They had listened to Kidd plead with them to make Lawrence Frank the highest-paid assistant coach in the NBA, only to have Kidd inexplicably demand that Frank be demoted within weeks of the start of the season."

-"For a short time in November, Kidd had declared he would pay the balance of Frank's six-year, $7 million-plus deal out of his own pocket Ė only to backtrack quickly, sources said. Ownership let Kidd have his way and demote Frank, and ultimately has been left to pay the balance of Frank's contract."

-"Before the Nets traded Kidd to Dallas in 2008, franchise officials believed he had faked a migraine headache and missed a game against the New York Knicks. Within the NBA community, there was little surprise about the apparent Shakespearean ending to Kidd's brief, but tumultuous coaching tenure with the Nets."

Yea, sounds respected.

People make mistakes, the domestic violence incident was in 2001 with nothing close since...perhaps a maturing moment for Kidd....the DWI in 2012 coming home from a charity event was an incident where he should have used better judgement, no doubt...but I don't believe these take away his accomplishments on or off the court.

At the end of the day, people will have their opinions...he wasn't hired as head coach immediately after retirement with no head coaching experience because he is a dumbass or moron...the guy knows basketball and will fit in nicely in Milwaukee.

JeffG20
06-29-2014, 05:54 AM
I don't think he's a dumbass per say, I just don't think he's a very good person. People do make mistakes, but It doesn't appear he is learning from any of them.

JeffG20
06-29-2014, 05:55 AM
I do however think this might put a halt on players to coaches right off the bat

CoaChad
06-29-2014, 06:03 AM
I have never met him so I can not say whether or not he is a good guy....I have met a few successful athletes over the years and the majority of them would not qualify as good guys....adultery, substance abuse and super sized ego's are par with the coarse in professional sports.

I think player to coach is a trend that will continue, especially in an era where players are brokering deals among themselves as free agents. Having a coach that can relate to the players is big in today's NBA, I'm sure Parker and the other Buck's players are loving this....after this is official, I wonder if the Buck's can free up any cap room and make a run at a big name free agent (Kidd and Anthony were teammates)...or throw themselves into the Love sweepstakes????

torocan
06-29-2014, 06:07 AM
While it's definitely early for him to make such a power play, I don't really blame the guy.

The Bucks put basketball operations on the plate. Kidd doesn't want to be subject to the whims and moves of Billy King. It's not like Billy King has a strong reputation as a GM. I wouldn't want my roster subject to his moves either. So he basically told the Nets to match it or allow him to explore the option.

Yes, it's early after only one year, but if someone it going to offer you that and the time to do it right, of course you want to look at it or get a similar offer.

Kidd can be a d-bag, but he's not stupid.

And let's be fair... lots of us think we can do a better job than a lot of GM's out there when it comes to making cap decisions and building a roster. Is it THAT crazy that Kidd thinks he can do a better job than Billy King?

While his lack of experience isn't ideal, from a team chemistry perspective having only one voice from the GM and Coach is a plus. The players can't go behind Kidd's back. Kidd doesn't have to worry about boneheaded GM moves that undermine his vision for the team or the chemistry on the roster. And it completely eliminates back room politics.

And given that the Nets are basically locked into terrible contracts for the next several years (and he'll get the blame), it's not like he's talking about leaving a fantastic situation.

Anyway, we'll see how it pans out. It could end up with Kidd unemployed (and collecting dem checks), or falling on his face in Milwaukee... or maybe he pulls it off and in 5 years we're talking about how Kidd was too smart to stay in Brooklyn.

JeffG20
06-29-2014, 06:11 AM
I never said he was the only one, you are right about that. But you asked what makes him a horrible person and while he may not be the worst I wouldn't call him a saint. Also I have a really low opinion on people that drink and drive (and I know, many do it). Especially athletes and rich people because they have the means and services to prevent it. The adultery is what it is but the domestic abuse ranks right up there with me as well.

CoaChad
06-29-2014, 06:17 AM
At the end of the day, truth be told, as a Wisconsin sports fan, I am happy as hell to hear a big name associated with the Bucks....having him in the front office in any capacity makes Milwaukee more attractive as a free agent destination....this will be one of the biggest developments in Milwaukee Buck history.

This is a good time to be a Wisconsin Sports Fan....

Packers......Super Bowl Contenders
Brewers......Pennant Contenders
Badgers Football......Big Ten Contenders
Badgers Basketball......National Contenders
Milwaukee Bucks......Trending Up & Making Noice

JeffG20
06-29-2014, 06:23 AM
At the end of the day, truth be told, as a Wisconsin sports fan, I am happy as hell to hear a big name associated with the Bucks

I hear ya, as a Pelican fan we don't get much in the way of big names either. So from one small market to another, I will quit raining on your JKidd parade lol

torocan
06-29-2014, 06:54 AM
So, doing a bit more reading I can't say this is entirely shocking. I suspect King + Kidd was doomed from the start.

Apparently the rumors are...

-King was opposed to the Kidd hiring but the Ownership pushed for it
-King wanted Rod Thornton, Kidd wanted Jarret Jack
-Kidd was the one who pushed for Shaun Livingston over the objections of King
-Kidd wanted more long term and strategic roster planning instead of "short term" solutions

If you give any credence to those rumors, then it seems inevitable that Kidd would want final say over who was being added to the Roster.

You can't have two such influential figures in the same organization with diametrically opposed visions for the team. You will inevitably get conflicts of interest and generate resentment.

That doesn't mean I think that Kidd should be the President of Basketball Operations, but I don't blame the guy for wanting final say over who was being added to his roster. After all, he's the guy who takes the blame when the team doesn't work.

Head Coaches always get blamed first... GM's only get blamed after multiple failures.

Time to pull out the popcorn. :)

Manimal
06-29-2014, 07:03 AM
Kidd comes to the knicks one year. We have the best season in 10 years. Retires and have one of the most underperforming season in our franchise

Nets coach in one year. First time the nets in brooklyn make it to the 2nd round. Leaves and nets possibly doesn't make the playoffs

Kidd has ego but he's not dumb. He knows when **** bout to go down with a team and leaves before the mess starts

It's true. You forgot the "quit Dallas and they miss the playoffs". Kidd is leaving a sinking ship make no mistake about it and heading to one on the rise.

Brooklyn has no assets and a geriatric bunch on the roster.

Brooklyn on the other hand has two of the most exciting young players in the NBA in Giannis and Jabari. A troubled but very talented guy in Larry Sanders and lots of roster flexibility and tradeable assets like Ilyasova, Brandon Knight, John Henson etc. A new ownership too. They are willing to give him control and he doesn't have to take orders from a buffoon like Billy King. Win win for Kidd.

I think something bigger than seeing other coaches getting more is going on here...based on how quickly this is materializing plus the existing relationship between Kidd and new Bucks ownership hints that maybe it was a calculated move by Kidd, who never got along with the Nets front office from day one.

Billionaire Bucks ownership + Jabari Parker + Jason Kidd (in any role) = Milwaukee Culture Change Complete.

I am hoping I wake up to this being official....

Good times are coming in Milwaukee.

GrkGawdofWalkz
06-29-2014, 08:14 AM
What a dumbass, I swear, I've always hated Jason Kidd, the first day he gets to NY to play for the Knicks he gets a DWI. He's always been a smug ******* as well. A promotion after one year, a year after he retired. CLOWN! The wife beating and the scharades. He might be a great player, and a HOF'er, but he is such a worthless clown.

GrkGawdofWalkz
06-29-2014, 08:15 AM
At the end of the day, truth be told, as a Wisconsin sports fan, I am happy as hell to hear a big name associated with the Bucks....having him in the front office in any capacity makes Milwaukee more attractive as a free agent destination....this will be one of the biggest developments in Milwaukee Buck history.

Kidd is a horrible coach. He got bailed out by savvy veteran play and an underacheiving roster who finally came together right at the end of the season. Kidd might have something minor to do of course. But, he's not all that he's "cracked up" to be.

Crackadalic
06-29-2014, 09:00 AM
Let's be real. He's off the court issues has nothing to do with all of this. He may seem douchy but kidd is leaving a team who's only shot was the season that just passed. Everyone and there mother knows how horrible Billy King is as a GM. He got a superstar pg who plays like a regular starter and is lock up till 2017. Joe johnson who gets superstar money for supar production outside of some clutch moments. Lopez who can never get healthy

He knows they gave the farm for Pierce and KG and that failed and Billy King won't think long term at all. Kidd isn't stupid. If he doesn't get this team pass the second round he will get all the blame

If i were to choose between coaching the nets and being Basketball of Operations in Milwaukee with a young core I'm choosing the later 100%

Hate all you want but this is a business and as a individual you do what is best for yourself even if it is a ******* move

waveycrockett
06-29-2014, 09:08 AM
I dont blame Kidd for thinking he can do a better job than Billy King and a part of me hoped he would win out but the fact that Mark Jackson, JVG, Lionel Hollins and George Karl are all out there make me feel good that we will have an improvement in the HC department.

therealwd27
06-29-2014, 09:09 AM
Good move for the Bucks. I like the direction they are headed I hope they make playoff push. Good city with great fans. Parker will be a beast, just need Sanders to stay level headed.

Billy King is horrible anyways

prodigy
06-29-2014, 09:56 AM
Next coach of the Nets Mark Jackson.. Good riddance

By all reports jackson is just as bad if not worse lol.

GiantsSwaGG
06-29-2014, 09:58 AM

Be careful what you wish for, next thing you know Kidd demands to be the owner, then the next wants the keys to the city

IndyRealist
06-29-2014, 10:11 AM
If this happens, I would agree. I'm glad my Hawks have a great GM and coach duo on the same page (and from the Spurs system), we just need a star player. Bucks just got their potential star player just 2 days ago and already is going to throw all of this away giving everything to Kidd. Don't do it Bucks. Hire from the Spurs.

This.

torocan
06-29-2014, 11:07 AM
This.

You do realize that Jason Kidd's lead coach IS from the Spurs?

Joe Prunty...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Prunty

Hrm, long term vs short term thinking. That sounds pretty Spursian...

ManRam
06-29-2014, 11:21 AM
A few more organized thoughts.

1. I think Kidd did a decent job last year. It started off rocky, but there were a lot of new parts there and that often happens when that's the case. He made some really effective rotation adjustment after Brook went down that really worked and turned things around. He kept that team together and fighting after that start and got them to the second round of the playoffs. Maybe pre-season expectations weren't quite met, but those expectations were clearly a bit overzealous in hindsight, especially with the Brook injury. Remember, that's their best player.

2. It's a smart move. I mean, on one hand execs are laughing at the mockery, but for Kidd if he can parlay it into a job with the Bucks he's better off. BK has seen their apex. What room for growth is there really? Not much. Now he can go to Milwaukee, have his power and take a young team that will inevitably improve and reap the individual benefits. Brooklyn is a dead-end job right now. Milwaukee is ripe for gradual improvement and that ALWAYS makes coaches look great.

3. I still don't like him and ultimately the move backfired on Brooklyn, like I thought. Just in a different way. I think it's preposterous that Milwaukee is entertaining the thought. And Lasry is smart enough to know that you can't just hand good friends jobs they aren't qualified for. Hopefully if they do hire Kidd he doesn't mess with that amazing youth. I think generally that coaches with FO powers is a solid move for an organization, so long as they're qualified. I'm not sure Kidd is.

Sandman
06-29-2014, 11:52 AM
I don't think this is backfiring on Kidd at all, he wants more money and he will get it

D-Leethal
06-29-2014, 12:48 PM
Its all a result of bad ownership if you ask me. His proclamation of a chip in 5 years was every bit as bad as LeBron's "not 7". That puts unrealistic pressure on King (who I agree sucks) to sacrifice the future and do everything in his power to build a team that can win now. That almost never works. Especially when your taking garbage contracts nobody wants as a result in an attempt to do it.

Funny how the coach is the one who wants long term moves to be made and the GM making short sighted "win now" moves. The philosophical struggle is usually in reverse when it comes to coaches and GMs.

torocan
06-29-2014, 01:00 PM
Funny how the coach is the one who wants long term moves to be made and the GM making short sighted "win now" moves. The philosophical struggle is usually in reverse when it comes to coaches and GMs.

Yah, it's pretty unusual.

Still, it's not all that shocking when you think he chose the Assistant Coach Prunty from the Spurs as his right hand man over his relationship with his previous Head Coach Lawrence Frank.

Business vs personal is the theme I see here, and it sounds like Kidd is thinking about the long term.

Another thing I just read is that apparently Kidd got shot down when he wanted to trade Brook Lopez and Teletovic for Larry Sanders and Ersan Ilyasova. That actually would have been a very smart move if he could reign in Larry Sanders' personal issues.

An interesting insight to the dynamic. The Owners were fine with King, Kidd thought that they could do better...

Kidd's ultimate ambition was to dump Billy King, with whom ownership remains quite satisfied. Kidd believes that King and Nets ownership do not have a long term plan and are too opportunistic.

http://www.netsdaily.com/2014/6/29/5854286/the-latest-in-jason-kidd-controversy

One of those weird situations where I think Kidd is both right and wrong. Right in his logic, wrong in how he went about it and his expectations.

JNA17
06-29-2014, 01:07 PM
Jason Kidd - G - Nets
Jason Kidd reportedly advocated to Brooklyn management to send Brook Lopez, and Mirza Teletovic to Milwaukee for Larry Sanders and Ersan Ilyasova at the trade deadline last season.
The move, which was mostly about Kidd's belief that Lopez did not fit his system, was considered, and rejected by Brooklyn management. Kidd was also reportedly angered when the Nets traded for Marcus Thornton rather than Jarrett Jack, who he believed would have been a better fit for his system. The Nets ownership is apparently fed up in dealing with Kidd's ego, and while they will not outright fire Kidd, his days in Brooklyn are over.
Related: Brook Lopez, Mirza Teletovic, Ersan Ilyasova, Larry Sanders
Source: netsdaily.com Jun 29 - 10:11 AM

Welp

GiantsSwaGG
06-29-2014, 01:12 PM
Welp

Reading that, I actually don't blame him.

dcenate05050
06-29-2014, 01:26 PM
Welp

thank god the bucks did not do that trade. do not want kidd at all still

D-Leethal
06-29-2014, 01:31 PM
Well at least Kidd agrees with me that Brook was a horrible fit for a PG-driven system. Nets fans can apologize now.

D-Leethal
06-29-2014, 01:31 PM
That jersey in the rafters has gotta be pretty awkward now.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
06-29-2014, 01:34 PM
Nets probably only compensation from the Bucks be Nets gain their own second rounder back. Which Bucks acquired from the Hawks. Hawks received Bucks #48 pick in 2014 draft. Bucks gets the future pick of the Nets via the Hawks. Bet that's one piece of the compensation. Maybe Bucks toss in another and call it a day if at all any offer of compensation since Nets have no Leverage.

waveycrockett
06-29-2014, 07:34 PM
Per Chris Mannix from SI Jason Kidd has been denied the GM role of the Bucks and has only been offered a Head Coaching position :speechless:

torocan
06-29-2014, 07:42 PM
Per Chris Mannix from SI Jason Kidd has been denied the GM role of the Bucks and has only been offered a Head Coaching position :speechless:

Waiting on Woj as always.

GiantsSwaGG
06-29-2014, 07:50 PM

Waiting on Woj

Wade n Fade
06-29-2014, 07:50 PM
At the end of the day, Jason Kidd's real coaching abilities and inabilities will show up.

waveycrockett
06-29-2014, 08:07 PM
Funny thing is if the Nets reject the Bucks offer of a 2nd Rounder Kidd will be stuck in a closet for the next 3 years typing up reports next to Lawrence Frank:laugh:

Mr.B
06-29-2014, 08:09 PM
He knew they were not going to give him that much power. Something is going on with that franchise that he's wants no part of and forced his way out.

Mr.B
06-29-2014, 08:15 PM

- NBA Champion

Well said and I agree completely. He has more knowledge about the game and most of the coaches in the NBA. Nets will be sorry they let him get away.

waveycrockett
06-29-2014, 08:16 PM
He knew they were not going to give him that much power. Something is going on with that franchise that he's wants no part of and forced his way out.

Drug running? Weapons Smulling? WMD's? What is Billy King up to???

torocan
06-29-2014, 08:16 PM

That something is most likely Billy King. ESPN ranked him #28/30 GM's in the NBA during their FO rankings so it's not like the guy is widely respected or seen as competent. It's hard to feel great about a FO when the only 2 guys behind you are John Hammond and Joe Dumars.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10711364/2014-nba-front-office-rankings-top-executives

I think most of us have had a supervisor who's completely incompetent at one point or another. The difference is that Kidd has his reputation dragged through the mud every time King screws up and the team ends up losing due to poor roster construction.

Kidd will have a short term reputation hit, but if King ends up fired or the Nets flounder and Kidd becomes successful in Milwaukee, the only thing that people will remember is how Kidd was right to take the last exit out of Brooklyn.

I guess we'll all know the answer a few years down the line.

Mr.B
06-29-2014, 08:27 PM
That something is most likely Billy King. ESPN ranked him #28/30 GM's in the NBA during their FO rankings so it's not like the guy is widely respected or seen as competent. It's hard to feel great about a FO when the only 2 guys behind you are John Hammond and Joe Dumars.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10711364/2014-nba-front-office-rankings-top-executives

I think most of us have had a supervisor who's completely incompetent at one point or another. The difference is that Kidd has his reputation dragged through the mud every time King screws up and the team ends up losing due to poor roster construction.

Kidd will have a short term reputation hit, but if King ends up fired or the Nets flounder and Kidd becomes successful in Milwaukee, the only thing that people will remember is how Kidd was right to take the last exit out of Brooklyn.

I guess we'll all know the answer a few years down the line.
Yes it will be at least two years before we see who was right in all this whole mess.

JJ_JKidd
06-29-2014, 08:35 PM
Yes it will be at least two years before we see who was right in all this whole mess.

My man JKidd and his ungraceful exits. But hey, if his hands are gonna be tied because of FO ineffectiveness then how he gonna coach effectively?

slashsnake
06-29-2014, 09:35 PM

That one is an interesting comparison, its like that supervisor hires a new team lead with a poor resume for the job, and that team lead does worse than the one he fired him for (Carlesimo), and that team lead saying he should have the managers position. Not to mention that team lead pushes and pushes for the highest paid assistant in the business, and when the supervisor gets him the guys he had been pining for he doesn't produce and fires the guy he was pining for the entire time in his first few weeks on the job, leaving the supervisor with a 6 million dollar debt.

Maybe Kidd should have stood up to Kidd on the guys he wanted to bring in instead.

I think he is fine with what he is doing though. He see's Kerr and Fisher get 25 million each, 2.5 times what he got and he was upset.

To me, I don't think Kidd ever thought he would have a chance at that

BlinkManJan02
06-29-2014, 10:02 PM
I'd dig it if we got him. That's unfortunate for Larry Drew though.

ohreally
06-29-2014, 10:07 PM
Has nothing to do with whether Brooklyn does relatively well or relatively poorly. You won't have a comparison anyway. Kidd is an a-s.

torocan
06-29-2014, 10:15 PM
That one is an interesting comparison, its like that supervisor hires a new team lead with a poor resume for the job, and that team lead does worse than the one he fired him for (Carlesimo), and that team lead saying he should have the managers position. Not to mention that team lead pushes and pushes for the highest paid assistant in the business, and when the supervisor gets him the guys he had been pining for he doesn't produce and fires the guy he was pining for the entire time in his first few weeks on the job, leaving the supervisor with a 6 million dollar debt.

Maybe Kidd should have stood up to Kidd on the guys he wanted to bring in instead.

I think he is fine with what he is doing though. He see's Kerr and Fisher get 25 million each, 2.5 times what he got and he was upset.

To me, I don't think Kidd ever thought he would have a chance at that

Yes, they are SO comparable with Kidd walking in cold and Carlesimo taking over for Avery after having already worked with the roster as an assistant coach for a FULL year prior to taking on the HC job.

And clearly Carlesemo would have put up the same number of wins with Brook Lopez out for 65 games and Dwill missing 14 more games and persistent ankle issues.

Or maybe, Carlesemo should have put up WAY more than 5 more wins than Kidd given that he had the advantage of a 1 year head start with the team over Kidd and had the team's #1 scorer for 74 games.

Sorry, but no amount of lipstick is going to make King appear as anything but the incompetent joke of a GM that he already is...

Sandman
06-30-2014, 11:10 AM

I don't think there's a conspiracy. Derek Fisher just got 25m/5 years and Kidd got 7.5/3 with a 4th year option. Thats all this is about, and he had a buddy in Milwaukee willing to pay him. If there's a conspiracy its tampering on their part probably. Exit strategy executed.

torocan
06-30-2014, 11:26 AM
I don't think there's a conspiracy. Derek Fisher just got 25m/5 years and Kidd got 7.5/3 with a 4th year option. Thats all this is about, and he had a buddy in Milwaukee willing to pay him. If there's a conspiracy its tampering on their part probably. Exit strategy executed.

Well, let's not forget there was a ton of rumors flying around that Kidd was hired over King's objections, AND that King tried to get Kidd fired early in the season after their poor start.

If there's any truth to either of those rumors, then King fired the first shot.