PDA

View Full Version : Haslem opts out of contract.

xnick5757
06-28-2014, 11:03 AM
@EthanJSkolnick: As I've been reporting, Haslem -- now that he's opted out -- is open to extension with Miami. Wants to be here. Wheels in motion.

@EthanJSkolnick: And to be very clear, Haslem is doing this to benefit the Heat (and get a little security), not to leave the Heat.

Pretty much means either Melo or Lowry to Miami

RateSports
06-28-2014, 11:06 AM
Good logic....

FOXHOUND
06-28-2014, 11:09 AM
Pretty much means either Melo or Lowry to Miami

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qiw3vVy_eN8

xnick5757
06-28-2014, 11:09 AM
Good logic....

Haslems 4 mil contract was the main thing holding it back

FOXHOUND
06-28-2014, 11:10 AM
To me this raises the likelihood that Wade and Bosh are also opting out.

Cal827
06-28-2014, 11:11 AM
^ What the Fox Said.

Jonathan2323
06-28-2014, 11:12 AM
https://vine.co/v/MtZ2xhIjDPe

RateSports
06-28-2014, 11:17 AM
Haslems 4 mil contract was the main thing holding it back

Wade and Bosh's opt-in/opt-out decision is what is holding it back.

Having said that, you do have a point. This definitely helps their chances.

FOXHOUND
06-28-2014, 11:19 AM
If they all opt out and take the pay cuts to give Miami room for another $10M contract let's say, why would they go after Lowry? With LeBron, Wade and Bosh any PG on the Heat will not be a PG, so what's the point? Especially now with Napier. I think any cap space they can create should go to getting a big man, maybe Gortat.

Wade n Fade
06-28-2014, 11:19 AM
All the Big Three opted out already though.

FOXHOUND
06-28-2014, 11:21 AM
All the Big Three opted out already though.

Wade and Bosh have not opted out yet, officially. This looks like a sign that they will though.

RateSports
06-28-2014, 11:24 AM
Of course the Big 3 will opt out.

Wade and Bosh would be idiotic not to.

Well maybe not Wade, but Bosh would be idiotic not to.

Dade County
06-28-2014, 11:30 AM
I think this should be in the HEAT forum until Wade & Bosh opts out.

If they all opt out and take the pay cuts to give Miami room for another $10M contract let's say, why would they go after Lowry? With LeBron, Wade and Bosh any PG on the Heat will not be a PG, so what's the point? Especially now with Napier. I think any cap space they can create should go to getting a big man, maybe Gortat.

They will go after Lowry & Gortat & I feel they will get them both. Riley aims high always remember that.

therealwd27
06-28-2014, 11:38 AM
After Monday the Heat will have over 50 million in cap space not bad. Expect Bosh and Wade to opt out sunday. Riley can communicate to LeBron while they are under contract

TheNumber37
06-28-2014, 11:52 AM
Haslem is NEVER leaving the Heat.

WITZ
06-28-2014, 11:56 AM
This belongs in the heat forum doubt anyone but heat fans care what Haslem does :laugh2: than again nothing much going on anyway

Mr.B
06-28-2014, 11:56 AM

actually it would be smart for him to opt in. No team in the NBA would pay him what he's scheduled to make this year. He already has his rings, now time to make his money while he can.

Mr.B
06-28-2014, 11:59 AM
After Monday the Heat will have over 50 million in cap space not bad. Expect Bosh and Wade to opt out sunday. Riley can communicate to LeBron while they are under contract
Not really when you consider they still have to pay Labron, Wade, and Bosh. Do you think all 3 will agree to play for $10 mil each? I doubt it.

Dade County
06-28-2014, 12:05 PM
Not really when you consider they still have to pay Labron, Wade, and Bosh. Do you think all 3 will agree to play for $10 mil each? I doubt it.

I'm thinking 13.5mil each.

So they can target Lowry & Gortat.

Minimal
06-28-2014, 12:09 PM
Why everyone talking about Lowry and Melo? Melo will slightly make the team better, but for big money. With addition of Napier Miami are pretty decent at point guard, first priority for them is a true big man. What everyone forgot Miami is the worst rebounding team in NBA? Gortat is the perfect fit and I'm sure Riley will try to land him.

Mr.B
06-28-2014, 12:12 PM
I'm thinking 13.5mil each.

So they can target Lowry & Gortat.
Washington is going to offer Gortat a max contract. I don't see him turning that down for $13.5 a year. He's never been offered a max deal.

Dade County
06-28-2014, 12:19 PM
Washington is going to offer Gortat a max contract. I don't see him turning that down for $13.5 a year. He's never been offered a max deal.

I didn't even see that as a possibility.. If this is true, then the new CBA that the owners wanted has turned above average players salaries into a star player salary.

Oh boy.

I will search for a link to see if this has been reported.

goingfor28
06-28-2014, 12:32 PM
Ya, great logic

Dade County
06-28-2014, 12:40 PM

The question, of course, is money.
Gortat made $7.7 million last season and at age 30 is a good gamble for a three or four-year deal in roughly that same ballpark salary wise. Depending on where the salary cap ultimately falls (likely in the $62 million range) the Wizards will have about $16 million in cap space. That should let them retain Gortat and Ariza plus bring in a little depth.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/27/wizards-brass-traveling-to-poland-convince-marcin-gortat-to-remain-in-washington/

The most I can see a team offering him is 11mil... So since Florida doesn't have a state tax, I can see the HEAT offering him anywhere between 8-10mil.

If you can find where they are offering Gortat the max, feel free to share please. Unless the Wiz are planning to use up 15mil of their 16mil on only Gortat.

bleedprple&gold
06-28-2014, 12:43 PM

actually it would be smart for him to opt in. No team in the NBA would pay him what he's scheduled to make this year. He already has his rings, now time to make his money while he can.

He will actually make more money by doing this. He can get more total money spread out over several years because he's a minimum player at best at this point in his career and could possibly be out of the league after this contract if he opts in.

RateSports
06-28-2014, 12:56 PM
Guys,

The Heat are not getting Lowry and I doubt they get Gortat.

Lowry is not going to agree for 10 mil a year for his "big" payday.
Gortat can get more money elsewhere.

FlashBolt
06-28-2014, 01:07 PM
I believe Haslem, Bosh, and Wade have the same agent? If that is true, they are all clearly opting out and constructing a plan to take less money. Great for Miami. They get Napier, Wade/Bosh/Haslem/James opt out, they have everything going as planned. I suspect they will get Melo, still. Really no need for Lowry because then you'll have Cole in the bench along with Napier. Better to have Cole start for Miami and slowly insert Napier into the starting lineup and go after Melo and a decent center.

Aust
06-28-2014, 01:12 PM
Still don't see why the Heat need Lowry when they have Wade and Lebron. How much would he even cost?

FlashBolt
06-28-2014, 01:14 PM
Still don't see why the Heat need Lowry when they have Wade and Lebron. How much would he even cost?

Yeah, they definitely don't need Lowry imo. Unless they can get him for 10million, I don't see a reason to get him.

Dade County
06-28-2014, 01:36 PM
Guys,

How much do you think or better wet, what are the numbers that are being reported out there?

FlashBolt
06-28-2014, 01:41 PM
Guys,

That is what they said for Bosh/Wade/Bron. Point is, many of these players have accountants and financial advisers that can convince them of the possibilities of endorsements, no income tax, great lifestyle, etc., It is not just about a contract for some players. Plenty of them would take a paycut to win a championship.

Nikeman
06-28-2014, 01:47 PM
Haslem is a loyal Heatle for life.

Scheduled to make 4.6 million next year, a lot, but not THAT much compared to a superstar. Hopefully he a signs a 3 year/7-8 million deal so he gets more money and the HEAT save 1.5-2 mill a year.

FlashBolt
06-28-2014, 01:57 PM
Haslem is a loyal Heatle for life.

Scheduled to make 4.6 million next year, a lot, but not THAT much compared to a superstar. Hopefully he a signs a 3 year/7-8 million deal so he gets more money and the HEAT save 1.5-2 mill a year.

Haslem isn't worth 3m a year considering he's on the bench most of the time because Erik Spoelstra is an idiot. With that being said, Haslem should definitely have his jersey retired for Miami. What he has done for that organization along with Wade is just historical for them.

rockets-fan
06-28-2014, 02:00 PM
Lowry wade lebron bosh and gortat?

If this happens they will win the chip for three straight years IMO...great moves by Riely no doubt if this comes true but come on lebron. You need THAT much help? Kinda makes me think less of him if he needs all that help to keep winning. Your the best player in the world, you shouldn't need that much talent.

Napier
Deadly shooter
Lebron
Bosh
Gortat

To me that would be a great lineup for lebron. Go for gortat and pick up a shooting SG to back up wade because wade isn't going to come off the bench even tho he should.

All I'm saying is my opinion of lebron will lessen if this happens. Same if he goes to houston with all that talent. I know my opinion doesn't mean anything to him and all but I can't be the only one that feels this way

superkegger
06-28-2014, 02:18 PM
Of course Haslem opted out. He's about as loyal as they come, and he will sacrifice cash now for probably a longer term deal that will pay him a little more total. In order for the Heat to continue to be a dominant force, it's clear they need to make some upgrades. What that consists of is yet to be seen, but clearly Haslem isn't/wont be a huge contributor on the court going forward.

In some respects it's pretty simple. Without LeBron, the Heat are a middle of the pack Eastern Conference team at best. I would think that Wade and Bosh fully understand that they will have to take pay cuts in order to not only keep the Heat together, but also to make the necessary roster upgrades to help them win championships.

Wade clearly is not the same player he once was, and whatever his role is going forward, his salary will need to reflect. While it would likely cost him significant money, since he stands to make 40 million plus over the next 2 years if he doesn't opt out, is that money worth LeBron leaving, thus making the Heat an average team?

Similarly with Bosh, he has even more reason to opt out than Wade. Improving the roster if LeBron stays is the obvious one, but if LeBron does leave, it would make sense for Bosh to at the very least explore the options he may have.

RateSports
06-28-2014, 02:23 PM
That is what they said for Bosh/Wade/Bron. Point is, many of these players have accountants and financial advisers that can convince them of the possibilities of endorsements, no income tax, great lifestyle, etc., It is not just about a contract for some players. Plenty of them would take a paycut to win a championship.

You guys are missing the point.

Wade, Lebron and Bosh already cashed in on big paydays BEFORE agreeing to take about 1 million dollars less annually (since they opted out of the last year and pay no state income text) to play for the Miami Heat.

Wade/LBJ/Bosh did NOT take a big paycut to play for Miami... at all. Brian Windhorst had great details on this on Colin Cowherd yesterday. Basically they took 1 million less a year, which totals about 4 million less each. You people think that they are all going to take 4 million less ANNUALLY? You guys are insane.

There is no way that Lowry or Gortat miss their chance for a big payday while they are young (especially Lowry) to play for a winner in Miami. Its not going to happen.

FlashBolt
06-28-2014, 02:23 PM

If this happens they will win the chip for three straight years IMO...great moves by Riely no doubt if this comes true but come on lebron. You need THAT much help? Kinda makes me think less of him if he needs all that help to keep winning. Your the best player in the world, you shouldn't need that much talent.

Napier
Deadly shooter
Lebron
Bosh
Gortat

To me that would be a great lineup for lebron. Go for gortat and pick up a shooting SG to back up wade because wade isn't going to come off the bench even tho he should.

All I'm saying is my opinion of lebron will lessen if this happens. Same if he goes to houston with all that talent. I know my opinion doesn't mean anything to him and all but I can't be the only one that feels this way

Stop whining. You seen the Finals, dude had no help from anyone. Houston shouldn't be the one complaining considering they have Parsons, Harden, Howard, and were also thinking of getting James/Melo. But you wouldn't mind if James came into Houston, huh? The idea of NBA is ludicrous. Why shouldn't LeBron get help if everyone else is improving? Wade/Bosh would be imposing players if this was three years ago. It is no longer the case that Wade can dominate with the ball. It is also no longer the case that Bosh can produce better than most PF's. Dude gets destroyed by every PF out there that is worth mentioning. Just to mention some names: Dirk, Tim Duncan, Blake Griffin, LaMarcus, Zach Randolph, Jefferson, Monroe, West, and many more. He's just not worth that money when you compare him to those players. I mean seriously, did you watch the Finals? Who performed well that you would deem "stacked"? I do admit, though. Gortat+Lowry would make Miami the most stacked starting team but in no way does it mean they are guaranteed a championship. Spurs could run against the best of them.

FlashBolt
06-28-2014, 02:25 PM
You guys are missing the point.

Wade, Lebron and Bosh already cashed in on big paydays BEFORE agreeing to take about 1 million dollars less annually (since they opted out of the last year and pay no state income text).

Wade/LBJ/Bosh did NOT take a big paycut to play for Miami... at all. Brian Windhorst had great details on this on Colin Cowherd yesterday.

There is no way that Lowry or Gortat miss their chance for a big payday while they are young (especially Lowry) to play for a winner in Miami. Its not going to happen.

What? Lol. How do you know Lowry or Gortat won't do it? Are you their agent(s)? I don't think so. Anything can happen when you speak to Riley. Not everyone gave Miami a chance of getting the big three. Their only goal was to secure Wade and sign Bosh at the very most. And regardless of the income tax, a paycut is a paycut. Wade and Bosh could have demanded at least 20 million per year and would have gotten it.

beasted86
06-28-2014, 02:30 PM
Why everyone talking about Lowry and Melo? Melo will slightly make the team better, but for big money. With addition of Napier Miami are pretty decent at point guard, first priority for them is a true big man. What everyone forgot Miami is the worst rebounding team in NBA? Gortat is the perfect fit and I'm sure Riley will try to land him.

I have a feeling Washington will be willing to do whatever they need to keep Gortat.
If they just picked up the team option to pay Andre Miller $4.6M @ 38 yrs old then I'm pretty sure they will pay him over $12M if needed. At that price he's not needed.

Mr.B
06-28-2014, 02:32 PM
I didn't even see that as a possibility.. If this is true, then the new CBA that the owners wanted has turned above average players salaries into a star player salary.

Oh boy.

I will search for a link to see if this has been reported.
He was the original Mavs target but Washington has let it be known that they will not let him get away. He's key to the success they've been having. with him and John Wall they have one of the best Center/Guard combos in the NBA.

rockets-fan
06-28-2014, 02:33 PM
Stop whining. You seen the Finals, dude had no help from anyone. Houston shouldn't be the one complaining considering they have Parsons, Harden, Howard, and were also thinking of getting James/Melo. But you wouldn't mind if James came into Houston, huh? The idea of NBA is ludicrous. Why shouldn't LeBron get help if everyone else is improving? Wade/Bosh would be imposing players if this was three years ago. It is no longer the case that Wade can dominate with the ball. It is also no longer the case that Bosh can produce better than most PF's. Dude gets destroyed by every PF out there that is worth mentioning. Just to mention some names: Dirk, Tim Duncan, Blake Griffin, LaMarcus, Zach Randolph, Jefferson, Monroe, West, and many more. He's just not worth that money when you compare him to those players. I mean seriously, did you watch the Finals? Who performed well that you would deem "stacked"? I do admit, though. Gortat+Lowry would make Miami the most stacked starting team but in no way does it mean they are guaranteed a championship. Spurs could run against the best of them.

If you read my whole post you would've seen i said "same if he goes to houston"

And I'm not whining about stacked teams I'm whining about lebrons name and the fact that the best player since Jordan needs that much help.
One of Lowry or gortat is great but both? Just seems like sooo much to me

beasted86
06-28-2014, 02:36 PM

Napier
Deadly shooter
Lebron
Bosh
Gortat

This is the Miami HEAT forum and team, not the LeBron James. I really don't care much at all how his legacy is impacted. I want this team to win as many championships for as long as possible, and if Riley is able to pull that off or some other great moves to improve this team, that's all that matters to me.

At the same time, that's not financially feasible or sustainable to continue adding more players with the MLE every year without a mega repeater tax by year 3.

FlashBolt
06-28-2014, 02:37 PM

And I'm not whining about stacked teams I'm whining about lebrons name and the fact that the best player since Jordan needs that much help.

I do agree it is more help than he needs but you have to give some credit to Miami for having a strong FO. I'm pretty sure LeBron will be contempt with Lowry. Gortat is not enough for Miami IMO. Wade is one year older and probably going to take another 30 games off. Bosh/Gortat will be an amazing front court IMO. Just because Gortat can rebound, hit the mid range shot, and also has a decent amount of offensive moves. Just not enough, though unless they can get a superb bench.

Crackadalic
What? Lol. How do you know Lowry or Gortat won't do it? Are you their agent(s)? I don't think so. Anything can happen when you speak to Riley. Not everyone gave Miami a chance of getting the big three. Their only goal was to secure Wade and sign Bosh at the very most. And regardless of the income tax, a paycut is a paycut. Wade and Bosh could have demanded at least 20 million per year and would have gotten it.

You seriously think lowery and gortat is going to miss a near max dollars just to play for Miami? They don't even come close to making the money the big 3 made pre big 3. They were able to do it because they made near max dollars before Miami. Anybody who thinks these guys are going to take massive pay cuts in there prime is delusional. I can get a guy like melo who already made 110 mil in his career to take a paycut but not these guys

Mr.B
He will actually make more money by doing this. He can get more total money spread out over several years because he's a minimum player at best at this point in his career and could possibly be out of the league after this contract if he opts in.
By opting in they both get one last year with huge money, then after next year that's when they sign a longer deal for less money. Now that would be completely selfish of them but they have to consider their life after basketball now that they have their rings. Once they're retired (which isn't far off for Wade) they will wish they had that extra $10mil they left on the table.

Mr.B
06-28-2014, 02:38 PM
The most I can see a team offering him is 11mil... So since Florida doesn't have a state tax, I can see the HEAT offering him anywhere between 8-10mil.

If you can find where they are offering Gortat the max, feel free to share please. Unless the Wiz are planning to use up 15mil of their 16mil on only Gortat.
I read it at ESPN Dallas

FlashBolt
06-28-2014, 02:40 PM
You seriously think lowery and gortat is going to miss a near max dollars just to play for Miami? They don't even come close to making the money the big 3 made pre big 3. They were able to do it because they made near max dollars before Miami. Anybody who thinks these guys are going to take massive pay cuts in there prime is delusional. I can get a guy like melo who already made 110 mil in his career to take a paycut but not these guys

Buddy, Gortat is 30 years old. There is no way a team will overpay for him. He is a 8 mil range player and if Miami can offer him a long term contract, they can make it work. Not saying it won't take some work but to say no way? There is no reason to suggest this.

superkegger
06-28-2014, 02:42 PM

I dont' understand this. Basketball is a team game, and you have to be able to rely on your teammates for support. The cast around LeBron has gotten old and started to fall off. Or did you completely miss the Finals?

It seems like you're wanting LeBron to play with a ****** team? Why? We all saw that in Cleveland, and while LeBron's talent is out of this world, he still needs help. You seem to think that Jordan played one on 5 for all 6 of his titles...or did you forget that he had one of greatest SF's ever, and probably one of the best defenders ever in Scottie Pippen. Not to mention Horace Grant for the first 3 titles, and Rodman for the second 3. And then great role players like John Paxson, Stever Kerr, Ron Harper, Toni Kukoc, Bill Cartwright, Luc Longley, Brian Williams, BJ Armstrong among others. You don't win titles alone, you have to have talent around you, and clearly, with Wade being much diminished, the Heat HAVE to upgrade their roster in order to continue to win championships.

beasted86
06-28-2014, 02:42 PM
Guys,

I wouldn't be so quick to say that. You might want to do some research about the absolute tax nightmare for NBA players playing in Toronto.

Miami can offer significantly less that will still be more.

I'm not insinuating we are going to get him, but I think you are taking this tax situation for granted.

FlashBolt
06-28-2014, 02:49 PM
By the way, Miami doesn't really have to sign a center of high quality. My opinion is that they should resign Chris Andersen, get Jermaine O, improve that bench as much as possible and by that I mean get Marion, Ariza, some serious firepower. Miami's starters weren't the problem the entire year. Their bench was just way too old and unproductive. Ray Allen was practically their only useful player outside of Cole and Andersen. With Ariza, Marion, Jason Smith, Mo Williams, Livginston? IDK, a lot of quality bench players. This will take some pressure off Wade so he can rest, it will allow for James to not have to defend their best player with Ariza and Marion being very decent defenders. Livginston is a matchup nightmare against any team. I would just put him at SG and PG. Then after this season, the front court PF/C in free agency is completely stacked.

RateSports
06-28-2014, 02:56 PM
I wouldn't be so quick to say that. You might want to do some research about the absolute tax nightmare for NBA players playing in Toronto.

Miami can offer significantly less that will still be more.

I'm not insinuating we are going to get him, but I think you are taking this tax situation for granted.

Good point about Toronto's tax situation. Maybe that would make Lowry more of an option than I thought.

I was speaking more in general terms because everyone always says "Man Lebron and Wade took a HUGE paycut to play" when they did not.

I am the biggest LeBron fan in the world, but that is just simply being irresponsible and ill-informed.

DWNTWNLakeShow
06-28-2014, 03:00 PM

Exactly, Napier should be a good enough PG they should focus instead on trying to land Gortat

THE MTL
06-28-2014, 03:40 PM
I like how the entire Heat rostet working together to make salaries work for the flexibility of the team.

raiderfaninTX
06-28-2014, 04:04 PM
The heat better pay haslam a big *** bonus when he retires, this guy although not that good now has always sacrificed for this team. That **** is rare these days

J_M_B
06-28-2014, 04:19 PM
The heat better pay haslam a big *** bonus when he retires, this guy although not that good now has always sacrificed for this team. That **** is rare these days

Yup.

Third time he has given up money for the sake of the team.

d00d
06-28-2014, 04:26 PM
such a joke. great players colluding even more to form even more powerhouse team in the weak Eastern conference.

I think they should give them all a white feather instead of a trophy if they win next year

nycericanguy
06-28-2014, 04:30 PM

You realize he's opting out so he can get $9m instead of $4.6m right?

MIA clears an extra $2m in cap space by basically spreading him out.

At this point Haslem would prob just get vet min elsewhere so he's getting himself quite the payday by opting out.

Now if he opted out and took the same $4.6m over 3 years, then that would be for the team... but this is about Haslem... let's not kid ourselves.

rockets-fan
06-28-2014, 04:42 PM
This is the Miami HEAT forum and team, not the LeBron James. I really don't care much at all how his legacy is impacted. I want this team to win as many championships for as long as possible, and if Riley is able to pull that off or some other great moves to improve this team, that's all that matters to me.

At the same time, that's not financially feasible or sustainable to continue adding more players with the MLE every year without a mega repeater tax by year 3.

Well I'm not in the heat forum I'm on the NBA forum, if it redirected me to the heat forum that's not my fault...

Dade County
06-28-2014, 05:15 PM
such a joke. great players colluding even more to form even more powerhouse team in the weak Eastern conference.

I think they should give them all a white feather instead of a trophy if they win next year

They are teammates, how our they colluding?

FlashBolt
06-28-2014, 05:28 PM
You realize he's opting out so he can get $9m instead of $4.6m right?

MIA clears an extra $2m in cap space by basically spreading him out.

At this point Haslem would prob just get vet min elsewhere so he's getting himself quite the payday by opting out.

Now if he opted out and took the same $4.6m over 3 years, then that would be for the team... but this is about Haslem... let's not kid ourselves.

That is true but he can get more than $3 million a year for his services. Haslem isn't being used correctly by Miami because Spo rarely plays him. him taking a $1.6 million paycut per year and $3 million per year for the next 3 years is a huge steal for Miami. It would be great if he took $2 million per year but I doubt that happens.

nycericanguy
06-28-2014, 05:30 PM
That is true but he can get more than $3 million a year for his services. Haslem isn't being used correctly by Miami because Spo rarely plays him. him taking a $1.6 million paycut per year and $3 million per year for the next 3 years is a huge steal for Miami. It would be great if he took $2 million per year but I doubt that happens.

No way... better players than him have had to take vet min deals the last few years. He's looked done when he does play and he's 34 years old. No team would offer him more than 3/9m.

He's making a killing with this deal for himself.

FlashBolt
06-28-2014, 05:33 PM
No way... better players than him have had to take vet min deals the last few years. He's looked done when he does play and he's 34 years old. No team would offer him more than 3/9m.

He's making a killing with this deal for himself.

He rarely plays because Spo for some reason doesn't play him. He could be a 25 minute guy putting up 8/8 - which is $3 million to me at the very least.

NBA_Starter
06-28-2014, 06:24 PM
Riley is a smart smart man.

Vinylman
06-28-2014, 11:30 PM

Nope... you are giving the wrong guy credit...

this is all about Lebron "buying" his legacy at the cost of teammates financial security...

I am going to enjoy all the "broke" HEAT stories in about 7-8 years

ThuglifeJ
06-28-2014, 11:33 PM

this is all about Lebron "buying" his legacy at the cost of teammates financial security...

Hah YES. THIS

Hawkamania
06-28-2014, 11:39 PM
Will this Heat opting out madness ever end?! In all seriousness, no surprises here.

unleashthebeast
06-28-2014, 11:58 PM

Uh, yeah......

I can't speak for some of them, but Haslem will be in the Miami organization for the rest of his life as a front office guy or something. He certainly will never be hurting financially

slashsnake
06-29-2014, 12:30 AM

If they can blow a 50 million dollar contract in 7 years I don't think a 70 million dollar one is going to make it all ok.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
06-29-2014, 11:55 AM

Wade should take $10M per or less. Duncan did. Sounds like Dirk will as well.

hugepatsfan
06-29-2014, 12:08 PM

As a GM, Riley was smart to draft Wade in 03. He was smart to trade for Shaq and get Wade a ring too because, with a ring in hand, Wade was willing to wait. Had he not have drafted Wade in 03 Lebron and Bosh don't come to Miami. If they didn't get Shaq (resulting in the 06 ring), Wade wouldn't have been so patient letting them put together a multi-year plan of making moves for cap space rather than talent (Riley the COACH gets a ton of credit for what he did that supporting cast of misfits though). It would have been a situation like CLE when they had Lebron and had to make short term moves to try and win so their star didn't become aggravated with never winning it all. (Not quite as bad because MIA is a better place to play then CLE, but if Wade didn't have a ring already I doubt he would have been happy throwing away multiple seasons so the team could have cap space down the line.)

My point is that this run the Heat have put together, IMO, has taken little to no actual talent evaluation skill by Riley. All the actual GM work he did to put this team together came in drafting Wade and winning their first title. Wade being friends with Lebron and Bosh is what did all the work putting this team together, not Riley. He's still a great GM as he proved in New York and during his early years in Miami (to go along with being IMO the 2nd best coach of all time and an undisputed top 4) so I don't mean to come off as anti-Riley. Dude's a legend and a brilliant basketball mind. But he gets too much credit with all this Godfather blah blah Heat fans want to bestow on him for putting this particular team together. He really hasn't done **** IMO as far as actual GM skills IMO.