PDA

View Full Version : Knicks targeting Melo-Gasol combo?

1_team_1_dream
06-28-2014, 08:39 AM
The New York Knicks are increasingly optimistic about their chances of re-signing star Carmelo Anthony even as he readies himself to talk to other teams next week, according to sources close to the situation.

Sources told ESPN.com that Knicks officials, while not willing to trumpet it publicly with free agency fast approaching, are quietly confident about their odds of retaining Anthony thanks in part to the idea that new team president Phil Jackson and the high-scoring forward have "connected" to some degree.

Knicks president Phil Jackson is planning to make a determined attempt to try to recruit Pau Gasol, his former center with the Lakers, a source says.
Furthermore, one source close to the process told ESPN.com's Ramona Shelburne that Jackson is planning to make a determined attempt to try to recruit his former Los Angeles Lakers center Pau Gasol to replace the freshly traded Tyson Chandler alongside Anthony on the Knicks' front line, despite the fact New York is limited to offering Gasol less than $4 million for next season.

Time will tell if the Knicks' internal confidence in retaining Anthony proves justified, given that he opted out of the final year of his contract at $23.3 million -- with Jackson urging him to opt in -- and will soon be courted face-to-face by a handful of top teams in big cities.

The 30-year-old officially becomes an unrestricted free agent on Tuesday at 12:01 a.m. and, as ESPN.com reported earlier this week, is planning to go on visits or hold meetings with the Chicago Bulls, Houston Rockets, Dallas Mavericks and Lakers all before the Fourth of July. It also must be noted as July 1 draws near that the Bulls and Rockets have likewise been radiating no shortage of positivity about their chances of stealing Anthony away from the Knicks.

The Miami Heat are likewise expected to have Anthony's ear if they choose to formally jump into the race, thanks to the close relationship between LeBron James and the Knicks' star, sources say. But Heat president Pat Riley -- after confirming a recent ESPN.com report that Miami has Anthony on its radar despite the challenges it faces just to get James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh all re-signed -- has acknowledged that growing the Heat's Big Three into a Big Four is a "pipe dream."

Sources told ESPN.com this week that the Knicks swung their trade with the Mavericks to send out Chandler and the out-of-favor Raymond Felton to bring back a clutch of veterans in return -- headlined by point guard Jose Calderón -- in their belief that Anthony would relish the prospect of playing with the Spaniard. Calderon has been a perimeter threat and a beloved teammate everywhere he's played.

Knicks' Top Summer Targets

The Knicks clearly need help. Our NBA experts came up with the master list of free agents they're chasing this summer.

Jackson, though, was guarded Thursday in his public comments about the Knicks' chances of retaining Anthony, with New York hamstrung in what it can to do to upgrade the roster around him until it has significant salary-cap space in the summer of 2015.

"It's a big question because there are so many things that can happen out there," Jackson said. "We really don't know. With LeBron getting in this free agency ... we don't know what all that means. But we have every confidence that Carmelo is good for what his word is, that he wants to be in New York, he likes playing in New York, he wants to compete, he wants to be part of a playoff team that is competitive toward a championship."

Sources nonetheless insist that the Knicks feel far better about their chances than Jackson is letting on. No team can match the five years and $129 million that New York can provide if it wishes to offer a maximum contract to Anthony, and while Anthony is undoubtedly intrigued by the chance to team with Derrick Rose, Joakim Noah and coach Tom Thibodeau in Chicago, he also still loves the Madison Square Garden stage dearly.

Amid speculation that the Knicks are reluctant to offer a max deal to Anthony, Jackson said: "We haven't come to that. But the perception is we want Carmelo to be as interested in winning. When saying he's competitive and wants to be on a competitive team to also being able to demonstrate that if push comes to shove in a situation where he may have to take a little bit less and we're more competitive to bring in another player to help us bring this concept along."

Anthony can receive a maximum of $95.9 million over four seasons if he decides to leave. Jackson has refused to address whether he will consider doing a sign-and-trade if Anthony opts to leave, but he did insist that the Knicks improved their chemistry Wednesday by shedding Chandler and Felton in the Dallas deal and contends that the trade sends "a message to all of our players that we are on the move and we are making changes."

As ESPN.com reported earlier this week, sources say Chicago has been plotting its free-agent pursuit of Anthony all the way back to the January trade of Luol Deng, while Houston on Wednesday night struck a deal to trade center Omer Asik to New Orleans in the first major step toward clearing enough salary-cap space to pursue Anthony or James. The Rockets have been telling teams for weeks that they have a subsequent trade lined up to move out guard Jeremy Lin if a marquee free agent verbally commits to Houston.

Chandler, for his part, thinks his return to the Mavericks will enhance Dallas' pitch to Anthony greatly.

"[Anthony] wants to win and he wants to be in a system and he wants to be in a culture," Chandler said this week. "I think that's going to go into a big part of his decision-making.

"I'm going to do whatever I can to help the team and the organization. At the end of the day, free agency is kind of an individual thing ... But I'll tell you one thing: Dallas isn't a bad place to be; it's a great opportunity and clearly we've done it in the past. It's not a hard place to sell. I'm going to do whatever it takes."

DR_1
06-28-2014, 08:45 AM
How would this be better than Chicago, Dallas, or Houston?

1_team_1_dream
06-28-2014, 08:50 AM
melo does not have to take far less money like he can do in chi or hou

yes he will take less then max in ny but not 10 mill less.

2- next year it can become marc casol - pau- melo - jr- caldaron

1_team_1_dream
06-28-2014, 08:54 AM

I don'r think he would go to dallas to begin with if he wanted to play with felton and tc he could of done so in ny.

DR_1
06-28-2014, 08:55 AM
I don'r think he would go to dallas to begin with if he wanted to play with felton and tc he could of done so in ny.

True but Dirk is better than anything NY had

xxplayerxx23
06-28-2014, 09:14 AM

How do we know rose is ganna stay healthy? Cuz if he doesn't bulls are not good enough. Dallas please tough western conference team got no shot. Houston is interesting but with his wife career Houston isn't a team I think he would go to. If the Knicks got gasol to join it would be interesting, not to mention the Knicks have some young assets now, with Larkin shump(always had) ealry, THJR a trade to improve the team is by no means out of the question but adding gasol and Calderon is a big help compared to last year. I think he stays, Phil is doing a good job.

GiantsSwaGG
06-28-2014, 09:20 AM

Derrick Rose doesn't have knee problems right? Without Rose Melo wouldn't even consider the Bulls IMO

L8kers4life
06-28-2014, 09:49 AM
People think the Lakers are not an option he can play with Kobe, Pau, and Randle and there is still enough money for a decent PG if he comes to the lakers, if Lakers renounce all rights to there players including pau and stretch nash they have 38 in cap space more than enough for Melo a PG and resign pau, Lakers can go over the cap to sign there rookies.

J4KOP99
06-28-2014, 09:53 AM
"Despite the fact that they can only offer him $4 million"

jaydubb
06-28-2014, 09:55 AM
Why do you think the "sources" weren't named??

I'll tell ya, its because the "sources" are Ric Bucher and his team.. Trying to ease his way into the spotlight after his most recent **** up

IndyRealist
06-28-2014, 09:56 AM
Nevermind.

L8kers4life
Kobe 23.5
Nash 3 million Against cap if waived
Sacre 1 mil
Randle, Clarkson 3 million

That's 30.5 million in cap leaving 34.5 million to spend

1_team_1_dream
"Despite the fact that they can only offer him $4 million"

trades will be made .

IndyRealist
06-28-2014, 09:58 AM
Kobe 23.5
Nash 3 million Against cap if waived
Sacre 1 mil
Randle, Clarkson 3 million

That's 30.5 million in cap leaving 34.5 million to spend

Is Nash only partially guaranteed? Or are you using the stretch provision? No GM has used the stretch yet.

L8kers4life
06-28-2014, 09:58 AM
They can't just waive Nash and make his salary disappear. They'd still have to pay him and it still counts against the cap.

They can use the stretch so only 3 million would count against cap

IndyRealist
06-28-2014, 10:01 AM

No GM has used the stretch provision yet, since it handicaps your team for the foreseeable future.

L8kers4life
06-28-2014, 10:03 AM
No GM has used the stretch provision yet, since it handicaps your team for the foreseeable future.

not for the Lakers the extra 3 million on the cap won't hurt next year since we don't need Kevin Love now since we have Randall and the year after that Kobe comes off the books

IndyRealist
06-28-2014, 10:04 AM
not for the Lakers the extra 3 million on the cap won't hurt next year since we don't need Kevin Love now since we have Randall and the year after that Kobe comes off the books

Wow.

Cal827
06-28-2014, 10:16 AM
He should go to Chicago. That team might become the beast of the East, even if Rose isn't healthy if Melo goes there. He's terrible defensively, but Thibs system might be able to mask it (Like Dallas did with Dirk)

L8kers4life
06-28-2014, 10:28 AM
[QUOTE=IndyRealist;28694042]Wow.[/QUOTE

what's wow we drafted him because k love is going to get traded somewhere else we got no shot at k love

gatkins11
06-28-2014, 10:43 AM

Cuban, Dirk, and Carlisle would be the reasons why.

1_team_1_dream
06-28-2014, 10:49 AM
Cuban, Dirk, and Carlisle would be the reasons why.

CUBAN OR PHIL ? drik how old is he?

1_team_1_dream
06-28-2014, 10:54 AM
Marc Berman ‏@NYPost_Berman 6m
Calderon makes his pitch to Carmelo, indicates desire to recruit "friends'' to #Knicks - close with both Gasols http://nyp.st/1qkmmuZ

InRoseWeTrust
06-28-2014, 10:55 AM
Derrick Rose doesn't have knee problems right? Without Rose Melo wouldn't even consider the Bulls IMO

Really? Because without Rose, the Bulls were still vastly better than NYK.

Mr.B
06-28-2014, 10:56 AM
Felton likely won't be in Dallas for very long. But I also don't think Melo will sign with Dallas. As a Mavs fan I'm perfectly OK with that. Never been a fan of his, he destroys team chemistry. I would rather the Mavs use that money and bring in a few players and continue with the "team concept".

InRoseWeTrust
06-28-2014, 10:56 AM

I think we actually stretched Rip Hamilton....not sure though.

GiantsSwaGG
06-28-2014, 10:58 AM
Really? Because without Rose, the Bulls were still vastly better than NYK.

Yes, Idc if the Bulls are better than the Knicks now, plus it's about being better than the Heat and without Rose it's not even close. The bulls got roasted by the Wiz. A healthy rose, you guys are legit but without rose even with Melo I doubt y'all get past the second round especially if you guys are trading away Taj Gibson

GiantsSwaGG
06-28-2014, 11:00 AM
Felton likely won't be in Dallas for very long. But I also don't think Melo will sign with Dallas. As a Mavs fan I'm perfectly OK with that. Never been a fan of his, he destroys team chemistry. I would rather the Mavs use that money and bring in a few players and continue with the "team concept".

Ppl are sleeping on the Heat and Rockets... I think it's between those 2 teams

InRoseWeTrust
06-28-2014, 11:10 AM
Yes, Idc if the Bulls are better than the Knicks now, plus it's about being better than the Heat and without Rose it's not even close. The bulls got roasted by the Wiz. A healthy rose, you guys are legit but without rose even with Melo I doubt y'all get past the second round especially if you guys are trading away Taj Gibson

Lmao really?

FOXHOUND
06-28-2014, 11:16 AM
The Bulls are only an option if they clear the necessary space to offer him a respectable deal, in which case their roster would look different. Rose's health is a concern, there's just no way around the fact that the guy has played just 50 games in the last three seasons.

Maybe he'll show that he's healthy and mentally recovered as much as anything, being that that's the reason he shot 35% in his 10 games last year, but as of now it can go either way. The best opportunity for Rose to show how ready he is is with team USA, but by then Melo will have signed with whichever team he decides to sign with.

I think the Chandler trade has catapulted Dallas past Chicago at this point. Dirk, Monta and Chandler with Melo, great coach in Carlisle and a championship pedigree.

InRoseWeTrust
06-28-2014, 11:18 AM
Yeah, I don't think he's coming to Chicago. That being said, saying NYK is better than Chicago, even without Rose, is a huge stretch.

Cal827
06-28-2014, 11:26 AM
:laugh: Calderon already offer to do work for a team he just joined. Love the guy's loyalty to whoever he's playing with :D

On a side note, I think it's a little delusional by the Knicks fans to just assume they're gonna grab Marc or Pau. For Pau to go to NYK, he would have to turn down likely double digits million dollar offers from teams like Washington, Toronto, as well as a possible Laker change of heart, and join the Knicks for less than the MLE.

As for Marc, I'm not sure if he would want to leave his position now. I know Memphis were the 7 seed this year, but they started really slow, they have a fantastic interior in Gasol/Zbo, and they play a style that can **** with the other teams in the West. They are maybe a year away from being the best in that Division (How long does Duncan plan to play lol), have beaten some of these other "Contender" teams in LAC, and OKC (as well as a victory against the Spurs a few years back), and if it weren't for a tacky suspension on Z-Bo, could very well have taken out the Thunder again. I think the only way they go get Marc is if Memphis' owner decided to be cheap, but we should also consider that Z-Bo agreed to take a rather large paycut after his previous contract runs out. As he Opted in, he's making roughly 17 million this year, but after, the number falls to 10 million.

DarkKnight
06-28-2014, 11:28 AM
The Bulls are only an option if they clear the necessary space to offer him a respectable deal, in which case their roster would look different. Rose's health is a concern, there's just no way around the fact that the guy has played just 50 games in the last three seasons.

Maybe he'll show that he's healthy and mentally recovered as much as anything, being that that's the reason he shot 35% in his 10 games last year, but as of now it can go either way. The best opportunity for Rose to show how ready he is is with team USA, but by then Melo will have signed with whichever team he decides to sign with.

I think the Chandler trade has catapulted Dallas past Chicago at this point. Dirk, Monta and Chandler with Melo, great coach in Carlisle and a championship pedigree.

Dallas still has Krispy Kreme, Melo won't go near stay puff marshmallow man

FOXHOUND
06-28-2014, 11:31 AM
Yeah, I don't think he's coming to Chicago. That being said, saying NYK is better than Chicago, even without Rose, is a huge stretch.

I can go either way on it.

On paper Chicago is definitely more talented, and has Thibs, they're a very attractive location. Rose makes things complicated a bit. In some ways it might be better if he wasn't there right now, because that $20M contract raises his risk level. A healthy and recovered Rose is a great asset but that's a big question mark. I don't think it's an enormous issue, otherwise Melo wouldn't even bother sitting down with Chicago, but I think in terms of it being a tie breaker of sorts it could lead to them missing out.

NY has the prospect of cap space, which means that maybe they're not better than the Bulls in 2014 but they might be in 2015 and beyond, we don't know. Short term they are a better team than they showed last year. If Phil can somehow convince Pau to come for the MLE that would be incredible and a big sell, as much because of what that might mean in 2015 as it could easily lead to Marc Gasol joining him next year.

Calderon-Pablo
Shump-JR
Melo-THJ
Amare-Melo
Pau-Bargs

In the east that roster can do well, with Melo leading it. That roster is more talented than the one he led to 54 wins and Jose/possibly Pau bring the veteran leadership, experience and playmaking ability the the team was missing last year when Kidd retired. Amare's health is a big ?, but it's not like he's been a big factor the past two years anyways and they still won 54 games. They have the depth to slide Melo to PF and start JR/THJ if they need be and now talented young players like Early/Thanasis for wing depth and Jeremy Tyler for big man depth.

And by 2015 it might be Pau at PF and Marc at C. Not the craziest option, Phil is an enticing man.

GiantsSwaGG
06-28-2014, 11:34 AM
Lmao really?

No, it's about 2015 for me.

Mr.B
06-28-2014, 11:34 AM
:laugh: Calderon already offer to do work for a team he just joined. Love the guy's loyalty to whoever he's playing with :D

On a side note, I think it's a little delusional by the Knicks fans to just assume they're gonna grab Marc or Pau. For Pau to go to NYK, he would have to turn down likely double digits million dollar offers from teams like Washington, Toronto, as well as a possible Laker change of heart, and join the Knicks for less than the MLE.

As for Marc, I'm not sure if he would want to leave his position now. I know Memphis were the 7 seed this year, but they started really slow, they have a fantastic interior in Gasol/Zbo, and they play a style that can **** with the other teams in the West. They are maybe a year away from being the best in that Division (How long does Duncan plan to play lol), have beaten some of these other "Contender" teams in LAC, and OKC (as well as a victory against the Spurs a few years back), and if it weren't for a tacky suspension on Z-Bo, could very well have taken out the Thunder again. I think the only way they go get Marc is if Memphis' owner decided to be cheap, but we should also consider that Z-Bo agreed to take a rather large paycut after his previous contract runs out. As he Opted in, he's making roughly 17 million this year, but after, the number falls to 10 million.
I agree, there is no way Marc Gasol leaves Memphis.

kozelkid
06-28-2014, 11:35 AM
I don't think Rose has anything to do with Melo's interest in Chicago. It has to do with Thibs and then the general supporting cast. As opposed to say Love who is besties with Rose...

FOXHOUND
06-28-2014, 11:35 AM
Dallas still has Krispy Kreme, Melo won't go near stay puff marshmallow man

LMAO Felton is awful, but I think the rest of what's there is more attractive than he is unattractive. Or maybe he's a deal breaker, who knows. :)

InRoseWeTrust
06-28-2014, 11:36 AM
No, it's about 2015 for me.

I'm sorry. Is it 2015? Did I just pass out for 12 months?

We're talking about right now.

Procision
06-28-2014, 11:37 AM
How can you be optimistic when your big selling point on winning is come play with Pau Gasol....

FOXHOUND
I agree, there is no way Marc Gasol leaves Memphis.

Between what's going on in their front office craziness and the team lacking young talent beyond Mike Conley I don't think him leaving is that far fetched.

GiantsSwaGG
LMAO Felton is awful, but I think the rest of what's there is more attractive than he is unattractive. Or maybe he's a deal breaker, who knows. :)

You don't understand, Felton might be the main reason he doesn't go to Dallas. He's fat

GiantsSwaGG
06-28-2014, 11:40 AM
I'm sorry. Is it 2015? Did I just pass out for 12 months?

We're talking about right now.

You're talking about right now, I'm concerned about 2015. We're not making the playoffs and I'll state this again I don't want Melo back. We're in rebuild mode and so far Jackson is making all the right moves (not jinxing it)

GiantsSwaGG
06-28-2014, 11:41 AM
Between what's going on in their front office craziness and the team lacking young talent beyond Mike Conley I don't think him leaving is that far fetched.

This...

Pau and Marc together in NY, (I'm praying this happens)

InRoseWeTrust
06-28-2014, 11:42 AM
You're talking about right now, I'm concerned about 2015. We're not making the playoffs and I'll state this again I don't want Melo back. We're in rebuild mode and so far Jackson is making all the right moves (not jinxing it)

Um, we're talking about the statement that NYK is better than the Bulls without Rose, which can't mean anything other than the on-court product right now.

nycericanguy
06-28-2014, 11:43 AM

no it's not... Knicks had an awful year, but people are getting carried away with looking at just last year. that same core was still 72-33 prior to last year. Let's not act like last year was the norm.

Bulls won 44 games and then 48 games without Rose... They've been solid... but they haven't been great without Rose.

If the Knicks can somehow add Gasol now, then they're back to a 50 win team... and they have cap space a year from now to bring in the other Gasol and another very good player.

GiantsSwaGG
06-28-2014, 11:44 AM
Um, we're talking about the statement that NYK is better than the Bulls without Rose, which can't mean anything other than the on-court product right now.

Who ever said the Knicks are better than the Bulls without Rose don't know basketball. As far as Melo choosing between NY or CHI because of Rose healthy then maybe but again I still say it's between Hou and Mia

chitownbulls
06-28-2014, 11:47 AM

Lol, the Bulls won 48 games without Rose, and with Boozer in the lineup. Assuming we lose Boozer, Buckets, MDJ, and someone else that's not named Noah and factor in that we have Melo McBuckets and Mirotic coming in, thats still a 55 win team at least without Rose.

GiantsSwaGG
06-28-2014, 11:48 AM
Lol, the Bulls won 48 games without Rose, and with Boozer in the lineup. Assuming we lose Boozer, Buckets, MDJ, and someone else that's not named Noah and factor in that we have Melo McBuckets and Mirotic coming in, thats still a 55 win team at least without Rose.

WRONG

If you amnestied Boozer (which might be you're only option) you lose your MLE, meaning you lose Mirotic

Mr.B
06-28-2014, 11:49 AM
You don't understand, Felton might be the main reason he doesn't go to Dallas. He's fat
You do realize that Felt on won't be starting in Dallas right? He might not even be on the team a month from now.

GiantsSwaGG
06-28-2014, 11:52 AM
You do realize that Felt on won't be starting in Dallas right? He might not even be on the team a month from now.

You do realize all it takes is an injury for him to be in the starting line up, you do realize even as a back up he's still seeing the court. You do realize he's fat.

Again he's on your team so Melo not going there

chitownbulls
06-28-2014, 11:53 AM
WRONG

If you amnestied Boozer (which might be you're only option) you lose your MLE, meaning you lose Mirotic

If the Knicks do a s&t we get to keep the mle and we get Mirotic. There's no evidence supporting the fact that Boozer being traded to the Knicks is not an option at the moment. Not saying they will necessarily take him, but there's always a possibility. If GarPax wants Mirotic, they will find a way to create cap space for him.

chitownbulls
06-28-2014, 11:55 AM
You do realize all it takes is an injury for him to be in the starting line up, you do realize even as a back up he's still seeing the court. You do realize he's fat.

What I don't understand is why are you going on about defending the fact that Melo is not fit on any other team because they are flawed, yet you still claim to not want him. That's both hypocritical and evidence of your denial in the situation.

Sandman
06-28-2014, 11:56 AM
Just to play devil's advocate, because NY would be starting over almost completely...

I could see him looking at Derrick Rose & the Bulls as a great opportunity, but it also sounds a lot like the Knicks team he came to join and Stoudemire's shaky legs

The Mavs are better and have won recently, but Dirk is 36. They are better than the Lakers, but if Melo is talking about the next 6 years, they are not very different.

Houston would be a crazy opportunity. Harden's a better fit than AI ever was and AI/Melo both had their most efficient seasons playing next to each other. If Howard is OK with being a 10 and 15 player and scoring 30-40 when the other team is over matched, sky is the limit. This wouldn't be like the Heat combo, I think this would be like KG, Ray and PP joining up 5 years sooner.

IDK what the guy wants. The only way the Knicks have a chance is if he is serious about wanting to stay in NY, and if he sees every option as starting fresh on a 6 year window just like the NYK are.

DarkKnight
06-28-2014, 12:07 PM

He's big boned

InRoseWeTrust
06-28-2014, 12:07 PM
no it's not... Knicks had an awful year, but people are getting carried away with looking at just last year. that same core was still 72-33 prior to last year. Let's not act like last year was the norm.

Bulls won 44 games and then 48 games without Rose... They've been solid... but they haven't been great without Rose.

If the Knicks can somehow add Gasol now, then they're back to a 50 win team... and they have cap space a year from now to bring in the other Gasol and another very good player.

:laugh:

Mr.B
06-28-2014, 12:08 PM

Well in that case I hope Felton stays. I do not want Melo on the Mavs. The Mavs are all about team chemistry and ball movement. Melo is the exact opposite of that. And if Felton isn't on board with that Carlisle will never let him step foot on the court.

And you do realize that Dallas is loaded with guards that play ahead of Felton if someone got injured.

DarkKnight
06-28-2014, 12:16 PM
Felton will get his time, or he'll get his gun. Seriously though,he's become a total waste and I can't believe he's not a Knick anymore. Miracles do happen I guess. Btw no one knows what Melo will do, only La La

Mr.B
06-28-2014, 12:18 PM
Felton will get his time, or he'll get his gun. Seriously though,he's become a total waste and I can't believe he's not a Knick anymore. Miracles do happen I guess. Btw no one knows what Melo will do, only La La
Felton isn't any crazier than Delonte West was and Cuban and Carlisle ran him out of Dallas.

D_Rose1118
06-28-2014, 12:24 PM

Bulls won 49 games in 2007, the third consecutive year they made the postseason, in 2008 with the exact same roster but adding joakim noah they won 33 games and were dysfunctional... Then they got the #1 pick and added rose and still only won 41 games

The point I'm making is once a team loses it's mojo like the Knicks did last season, they don't get it back

So unless knicks completely switch it up, expect around the same results.

Stunner
06-28-2014, 12:32 PM
I don't think Rose has anything to do with Melo's interest in Chicago. It has to do with Thibs and then the general supporting cast. As opposed to say Love who is besties with Rose...

That Rose / Love rumor was already squashed by Anthony's camp . He knows it's not true , it was just Mitch Lawrence looking for attention as always .

Sandman
06-28-2014, 12:35 PM
Bulls won 49 games in 2007, the third consecutive year they made the postseason, in 2008 with the exact same roster but adding joakim noah they won 33 games and were dysfunctional... Then they got the #1 pick and added rose and still only won 41 games

The point I'm making is once a team loses it's mojo like the Knicks did last season, they don't get it back

Their biggest problem was point guard play and they picked up Calderon. Always been one of my favorite players, and is a great pure PG that can knock down shots. He is not on Steve Nash's level, but they are the only guys that can flirt with .500/.400/.900

Half of his shots come as 3s so he's not gonna hit .500 anymore, but he has posted .500 on two point shots year in and year out.

I always thought he was a good fit to play next to Carmelo. He can dominate the ball without taking shots, but if you back off him he can knock down ANY jump shot. He can make Shump and JR better -- these two are good fits as well if we can get the 2013 versions.

Gasol is a great fit offensively but scary defensively. Dalembert is a good fit in that mix off the bench. They need a Drew Gooden/Kmart type off the bench after that.

first time in years the roster is actually built to make sense instead of just a bunch of misfit parts. hasn't been that way since the original Felton-Gallo-Amare Dantoni team that attracted Melo in the first place.

but that still doesn't make the Knicks the best on-court option. we'll see what happens..

kozelkid
06-28-2014, 12:37 PM
That Rose / Love rumor was already squashed by Anthony's camp . He knows it's not true , it was just Mitch Lawrence looking for attention as always .
I never said Rose isn't part of the recruiting process. But I doubt Rose is much of a reason for Melo's interest for the Bulls.

GiantsSwaGG
06-28-2014, 12:38 PM
What I don't understand is why are you going on about defending the fact that Melo is not fit on any other team because they are flawed, yet you still claim to not want him. That's both hypocritical and evidence of your denial in the situation.

I don't, like I said before it's between Hou and Mia IMO

GiantsSwaGG
06-28-2014, 12:40 PM
Well in that case I hope Felton stays. I do not want Melo on the Mavs. The Mavs are all about team chemistry and ball movement. Melo is the exact opposite of that. And if Felton isn't on board with that Carlisle will never let him step foot on the court.

And you do realize that Dallas is loaded with guards that play ahead of Felton if someone got injured.

Now you understand why I don't want the Knicks to resign him

GiantsSwaGG
06-28-2014, 12:43 PM
Felton isn't any crazier than Delonte West was and Cuban and Carlisle ran him out of Dallas.

Delonte had mental issues, Felton has weight issues. Felton won't be running, he knows that contract is the only thing satisfying his hunger. Nothing comes between him and his food, ask his Ex Wife

RLundi
06-28-2014, 12:45 PM

50 wins is a huge stretch, even with Gasol. They aren't winning 50 unless they make wholesale changes, and Gasol and Calderon don't count as that.

nycericanguy
06-28-2014, 12:57 PM
50 wins is a huge stretch, even with Gasol. They aren't winning 50 unless they make wholesale changes, and Gasol and Calderon don't count as that.

Melo had NY at 32 games over .500 the prior 2 and a half years in NY.

Again, people are putting too much stock into last year, a year in which everyone basically played like crap outside of Melo. Felton went from 14ppg to 9ppg, and JR shot 37% most of the year... Tyson missed 30 games...etc... it was just a bad all around year.

IF, and it's a big IF right now, but if they add Gasol, along with Calderon, those are massive upgrades.

nycericanguy
06-28-2014, 01:00 PM

that's silly and in case you haven't noticed they HAVE completely switched it up... from top to bottom things are changing.

New president, new coach, new PG & C... some young blood and high IQ guys...

bleedprple&gold
06-28-2014, 01:01 PM

Not true. Suns used it on Beasley.

D_Rose1118
06-28-2014, 01:08 PM
that's silly and in case you haven't noticed they HAVE completely switched it up... from top to bottom things are changing.

Minimal changes on the actual court, dalembert is trash and I like Calderon but he is the definition of an average point guard.
Gasol is the real change, unless they get him, I still think a 41 win season is on the horizon.

nycericanguy
06-28-2014, 01:11 PM
Minimal changes on the actual court, dalembert is trash and I like Calderon but he is the definition of an average point guard.
Gasol is the real change, unless they get him, I still think a 41 win season is on the horizon.

You can make hte case that Dalembert was better than Tyson last year, and he played 80 games compared to Tyson 55. and an "average" PG is a MASSIVE upgrade considering what they had last year.

I said WITH Gasol they are a 50 win team.. right now, they need work, though I think they are better than just .500 even without Gasol. but I'm sure PJ is far from done.

FlashBolt
06-28-2014, 01:13 PM
What is wrong with the NYK? Just tank this year and go hard in 15-16. There is no way they win with Melo/Gasol anyways. Why make another long term deal out of panic when you can make a smart one a year later?

Aust
06-28-2014, 01:18 PM
trades will be made .

Trades are going to have to be made. No way in hell he signs for 4.

Who do you see being moved?

JordansBulls
06-28-2014, 01:25 PM
this does nothing for them. This was only practical if Chandler stayed, now it is useless. Would be a worse team than last year.

Sandman
06-28-2014, 01:41 PM

Calderon is an average point guard, but the Knicks have been working with the worst PG play in the league (along with the Heat). Average is a pretty big step up.

And while he is average overall, his jump shot is top 5 among PGs and he has been a top 5 distributor in the past. We don't need him to slash. They have JR to do that when he's not out partying, and they have Shump to do that when he shows up with his handles. Better PG play helps them both more than Melo, and better play from everybody alleviates the load on Melo.

DarkKnight
06-28-2014, 01:52 PM
this does nothing for them. This was only practical if Chandler stayed, now it is useless. Would be a worse team than last year.

Did you watch Chandler play last year ? Aka Mr Softie/ baby hands . He's a shell of what he once was

D-Leethal
06-28-2014, 01:56 PM
Did you watch Chandler play last year ? Aka Mr Softie/ baby hands . He's a shell of what he once was

b-b-but he can dunk at a 70% clip!

DarkKnight
06-28-2014, 02:10 PM

lol that should be fun to watch

Sandman
06-28-2014, 02:12 PM

hey that can be valuable at his size. there are plenty of defensive bigs that cant even scrap that together. he can at least punish a double team. He might be useless when another team can match his size but Howard and Hibbert are the same way.

his attitude was all over the place and he was the easiest piece to move, I think that is why he is gone.

Mr.B
06-28-2014, 02:18 PM
Delonte had mental issues, Felton has weight issues. Felton won't be running, he knows that contract is the only thing satisfying his hunger. Nothing comes between him and his food, ask his Ex Wife
That's why I say he won't be on the team by the time they start training camp. They are determined to get another title before Dirk's career ends and Carlisle WILL NOT allow anyone on the team that doesn't also have that mind set. Even if Cuban has to pay him to go away like he did with Lamar Odom.

Crackadalic
Can be a playoff team but that's it. Dalembert numbers are similar to Tyson and played less minutes and more games. That's how bad Tyson was last year and cost us a bulk of our cap space. If we get Pau we have a better rotation at center then last year because without Tyson we had 3rd string centers coming off the bench and even had Bargs start at center smh

Anyway to say we are worse then last season roster is ignorant unless melo leaves of course

smith&wesson
its soo funny how every team who has Calderon targets Pau.

smith&wesson
06-28-2014, 02:24 PM
Calderon is an average point guard, but the Knicks have been working with the worst PG play in the league (along with the Heat). Average is a pretty big step up.

And while he is average overall, his jump shot is top 5 among PGs and he has been a top 5 distributor in the past. We don't need him to slash. They have JR to do that when he's not out partying, and they have Shump to do that when he shows up with his handles. Better PG play helps them both more than Melo, and better play from everybody alleviates the load on Melo.

hes better than average, his assist to turnover ratio has always been great through out his career, he shoots the ball really well, and has a high ball iq.

on the down side his Defence leaves much to be desired, and he also is ball dominant.

Mr.B
06-28-2014, 02:25 PM
You can make hte case that Dalembert was better than Tyson last year, and he played 80 games compared to Tyson 55. and an "average" PG is a MASSIVE upgrade considering what they had last year.

I said WITH Gasol they are a 50 win team.. right now, they need work, though I think they are better than just .500 even without Gasol. but I'm sure PJ is far from done.
You guys are going to get extremely frustrated with Dalembert. He may have been active for 80 games this year but he didn't play every game. There were times he was on the court and didn't play. One night he'll have a decent game and the next he'll completely disappear. He's extremely inconsistent. That's why I think he's better suited as a backup.

Mr.B
06-28-2014, 02:29 PM
its soo funny how every team who has Calderon targets Pau.
There are rumors around Dallas that the Mavs might make a run at Pau too.

Crackadalic
You guys are going to get extremely frustrated with Dalembert. He may have been active for 80 games this year but he didn't play every game. There were times he was on the court and didn't play. One night he'll have a decent game and the next he'll completely disappear. He's extremely inconsistent. That's why I think he's better suited as a backup.

And with pau here that's much better then what we had last year

Tyson(55 games)/cole Aldrich or Pau/Dalembert

I still don't think 50+ win team but we have better fits on the roster then last year.

FlashBolt
When you think of the totality and impact of a player, it is clearly Napier for me. Napier is one step closer to signing LeBron. No, he's probably not going to be a top 20 PG but the fact is LeBron thinks Napier is the best PG in that class and that also means he believes Napier will be one of the best PG in the NBA as well. If LeBron was 50/50 about leaving Miami, this makes it 70% he won't be leaving and 30% he will. Huge pick for Miami. Pat did the right thing considering Napier is already experienced and won't have to take as much time to adjust. He's the best PG LeBron will play with in Miami and probably the best three point shooter as a PG he will play with.

nycericanguy
06-28-2014, 02:31 PM

I don't see him being anything more than a solid C that plays 20-25mpg. but at this point, i don't think he's that much of a downgrade from Tyson.

You guys are going to be really frustrated with Tyson once flu season comes around...

lol, sorry just had to.

FYL_McVeezy
06-28-2014, 02:46 PM

Rican don't even bother these Bulls clowns are clueless....

Mr.B
06-28-2014, 02:50 PM
I don't see him being anything more than a solid C that plays 20-25mpg. but at this point, i don't think he's that much of a downgrade from Tyson.

You guys are going to be really frustrated with Tyson once flu season comes around...

lol, sorry just had to.
I'm sure the Mavs know they are not getting the same Tyson they had when they won the title. They want to find a back up for him and Dirk. The goal I would think would be for Dirk and Tyson to each play about 30 min a game. Pau would help the Mavs in that aspect. Or if the Mavs sign Gortat Tyson would be the backup.

smith&wesson
06-28-2014, 02:54 PM

I honestly think that Marion-Carter are a better fit around Ellis and Dirk than Melo would be.. but that's just my opinion. Also Pau would be a better pick up than Melo would be for the Mavs.

FlashBolt
06-28-2014, 02:54 PM
You guys are underrating Dalembert. Dude was high on every NBA team a couple of years ago. He can score, rebound, defend, and can hit those free throws. He isn't as good defensively as Tyson but he is a much better offensive player. With that being said, I do think NYK made a great move on this one. Tyson was a shell of himself last year.

smith&wesson
06-28-2014, 02:57 PM
You guys are underrating Dalembert. Dude was high on every NBA team a couple of years ago. He can score, rebound, defend, and can hit those free throws. He isn't as good defensively as Tyson but he is a much better offensive player. With that being said, I do think NYK made a great move on this one. Tyson was a shell of himself last year.

Chandler was never a good fit in NewYork... I believe he will regain is form back in Dallas, where he was great along side Dirk.

Mr.B
06-28-2014, 02:59 PM
I honestly think that Marion-Carter are a better fit around Ellis and Dirk than Melo would be.. but that's just my opinion. Also Pau would be a better pick up than Melo would be for the Mavs.
That's another reason I don't want Melo in Dallas. I would rather the Mavs sign Pau or Gortat and then sign Trevor Ariza. And of course bring back Devin Harris, Vince, and Marion. I'd rather have that than Melo.

Mr.B
06-28-2014, 03:01 PM
The problem is that he won't do that every night. Carlisle had to bench him in several games this past season. He was also late to practice a few times.

smith&wesson
06-28-2014, 03:03 PM
That's another reason I don't want Melo in Dallas. I would rather the Mavs sign Pau or Gortat and then sign Trevor Ariza. And of course bring back Devin Harris, Vince, and Marion. I'd rather have that than Melo.

Completely agree, in terms of fit and chemistry, what you're suggesting is much more appealing.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-28-2014, 04:04 PM
Can't the Knicks only offer Pau the mMLE? Why would he take that when he could make at least twice as much for a contending team?

GiantsSwaGG
06-28-2014, 04:07 PM
Can't the Knicks only offer Pau the mMLE? Why would he take that when he could make at least twice as much for a contending team?

AK47 took a huge Paycut, why not Pau? But I agree it's a pipe dream that he comes

InRoseWeTrust
06-28-2014, 04:12 PM
AK47 took a huge Paycut, why not Pau? But I agree it's a pipe dream that he comes

Let's be honest...AK47 is getting paid a lot money in straight rubles a few thousand miles from here.

GiantsSwaGG
06-28-2014, 04:15 PM
Let's be honest...AK47 is getting paid a lot money in straight rubles a few thousand miles from here.

Yeah I'm pretty sure Pokey promised him every beautiful hooker in Russia along with money

nycericanguy
06-28-2014, 04:25 PM

what contending team has that much cap space?

I'm sure he'll at least consider NY with the PJ, Fisher and Calderon connection there... not to mention the triangle and the possibility of his brother coming over the next year.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-28-2014, 04:32 PM

I'm sure he'll at least consider NY with the PJ, Fisher and Calderon connection there... not to mention the triangle and the possibility of his brother coming over the next year.

Heat, Rockets, and Bulls came at the top of my head that could offer him more than the MLE if they don't get their targets. And then you have other contending teams that could probably use the full MLE too. I also wouldn't be surprised if the Lakers offered him a pretty big contract too.

nycericanguy
06-28-2014, 04:34 PM
Heat, Rockets, and Bulls came at the top of my head that could offer him more than the MLE if they don't get their targets. And then you have other contending teams that could probably use the full MLE too. I also wouldn't be surprised if the Lakers offered him a pretty big contract too.

I doubt MIA would want him, Gortat & Lowry are much better targets, even Frye... they need to get younger, not add a 34 year old with suspect defense.

I'm sure there are contenders that would offer the $5m FULL MLE.

But NY has a lot of things going for them to where he will probably seriously consider them. Especially if they go 3 years for him.

Knicks could also do a S&T if anything to give him more.

Mr.B
06-28-2014, 05:11 PM

The Mavs do, and they have an interest in Pau.

Beltrans Mole
06-28-2014, 05:22 PM
I like the way Phil Jackson is operating every step of the way so far this offseason. I think he'll convince Melo to stay when all of the smoke has cleared.

Bruno
06-28-2014, 05:32 PM
Melo/Gasol? going to get destroyed defensively.

I don't think Pau will go to NYK but I think Pau goes to NYK only if Melo leaves. Maybe Phil offers him a two year (player option) deal to reestablish himself as an elite PF under the triangle. Hardaway Jr. assumes 19 year old Kobe duties, Gasol teaches Amare how to be Odom and the Knicks sign a decent SF, with Calderon spreading the floor and swinging the ball.

Then the Knicks go into 2015-2016 with all the cap space in the world after Amares deal is up. Jackson does the same thing the Heat are doing now (tell Pau to opt out of year two), Phil throws Dolans pocketbook at all the free agents, and they use Bird rights to keep Pau around (long term deal that rewards less pay now) a legit contender of young assets and stars going into 2015-2016. this would all be a bit wink wink between Jackson and Pau but its possible.

GiantsSwaGG
06-28-2014, 05:36 PM
Melo/Gasol? going to get destroyed defensively.

I don't think Pau will go to NYK but I think Pau goes to NYK only if Melo leaves. Maybe Phil offers him a two year (player option) deal to reestablish himself as an elite PF under the triangle. Hardaway Jr. assumes 19 year old Kobe duties, Gasol teaches Amare how to be Odom and the Knicks sign a decent SF, with Calderon spreading the floor and swinging the ball.

Then the Knicks go into 2015-2016 with all the cap space in the world after Amares deal is up. Jackson does the same thing the Heat are doing now (tell Pau to opt out of year two), Phil throws Dolans pocketbook at all the free agents, and they use Bird rights to keep Pau around (long term deal that rewards less pay now) a legit contender of young assets and stars going into 2015-2016. this would all be a bit wink wink between Jackson and Pau but its possible.

Possible but I doubt it

NYYCowboys
06-28-2014, 05:49 PM
Am I the only Knicks fan who wants Melo to leave? What's the point of signing him back. Even if he comes back with Pau they aren't even close to being a championship contending team. After watching almost every game he's played in these past 3 years I can confidently say a team with him as their best player would probably be incapable of winning it all. He's a great scorer, and rebounder, but overall I wouldn't even say he's a top 15 player.

If I were the Knicks I would seek a sign and trade for him, maybe recoup some nice young assets and draft picks (or James Harden if the Rockets are dumb enough to give him up via sign and trade), suck it up next year get a top 5 pick plus whatever picks we get from Melo. Now you have the makings of a nice up and coming team plus a ton of cap room in 2015/2016. You add a Love, Aldridge, Gasol or whoever and now you got a possible contender for the next few years.

IversonIsKrazy
06-28-2014, 07:36 PM
I'm sorry but Gasol/Amare/Bargs as froncourt rotation is goddamn awful defensively and ok on offense. Not to mention Gasol would have to take a pay-cut to sign w/NY, cause we all know of NY salary cap issues. If Melo stays and they get Gasol, I'd still have them as a first-round exit team.

Captain Moroni
06-28-2014, 08:00 PM
Without Rose Knicks were better in 12-13, bulls were better in 13-14. Niether team was getting past Miami anyway.
Rose health is a major concern. Knicks are quickly becoming a different roster. No Deng boozer or Gibson .....maybe Melo does not want any part of that?
With a new front office and HC along with a new PHILosiphy is it possible the Knicks with Melo could be very good again?

NBA_Starter
06-28-2014, 08:19 PM
PJ is making some nice moves but losing Melo will be tough.

Hawkamania
06-28-2014, 08:29 PM

I believe that's one of the biggest reasons the Knicks want Pau, aside of his obvious fit within the triangle offense.

Captain Moroni
06-28-2014, 09:18 PM
PJ is making some nice moves but losing Melo will be tough.

No question

DR_1
06-28-2014, 09:32 PM

Look at the Bulls last year. All we needed was a scorer. Melo and whatever we get from D-Rose (I think he will be fine but that of course is IMO), plus Noah, Taj, Thibs, etc., is much better than anything NYK can offer.

GiantsSwaGG
06-28-2014, 09:34 PM
Look at the Bulls last year. All we needed was a scorer. Melo and whatever we get from D-Rose (I think he will be fine but that of course is IMO), plus Noah, Taj, Thibs, etc., is much better than anything NYK can offer.

You have to trade him if you want Melo.

Plus I'm not talking about the Knicks roster, I don't want him back but Hou and MIA clearly have a better roster than the Bulls. Plus Hou and MIA gives him the best chance to win a title

NBA_Starter
06-28-2014, 09:42 PM
Times are about to get interesting, that is for sure.

DR_1
06-28-2014, 09:46 PM

Plus I'm not talking about the Knicks roster, I don't want him back but Hou and MIA clearly have a better roster than the Bulls. Plus Hou and MIA gives him the best chance to win a title

Houston has a good argument. He's not going to Miami. And we don't have to lost Taj if we do an S+T.

GiantsSwaGG
06-28-2014, 09:48 PM
Houston has a good argument. He's not going to Miami. And we don't have to lost Taj if we do an S+T.

Knicks aren't taking back Boozer, Taj is a more realistic option

And why wouldn't he go to MIA? He even states that he wants to play with LeBron one day

ohreally
06-28-2014, 09:59 PM

I really don't see Marc leaving Memphis. He loves playing the city, loves playing there, loves the fans, and loves playing with Zach. I would be surprised if he moves, and even more surprised if it was to go to New York.

GiantsSwaGG
06-28-2014, 10:02 PM
I really don't see Marc leaving Memphis. He loves playing the city, loves playing there, loves the fans, and loves playing with Zach. I would be surprised if he moves, and even more surprised if it was to go to New York.

You could of said the samething about LeBron when he was in Cleveland, or Melo...

Zach isn't getting any younger.

InRoseWeTrust
06-28-2014, 10:05 PM

No way in hell does Houston give him a better chance than Chicago to win a title:

1) Houston is in the West.

2) Houston's problem isn't scoring. If Melo goes there, what is Houston's game plan going to be? Beat other teams 135 - 128? They need perimeter defense, and Melo clearly doesn't address that problem.

FlashBolt
06-28-2014, 10:09 PM
No way in hell does Houston give him a better chance than Chicago to win a title:

2) Houston's problem isn't scoring. If Melo goes there, what is Houston's game plan going to be? Beat other teams 135 - 128? They need perimeter defense, and Melo clearly doesn't address that problem.

1) Houston is in the West, and? Melo in Houston more than makes them the favorites. They'll have to give up Lin and some picks and maybe even Parsons but Dwight Howard, Harden, and Carmelo are instant favorites. Very doubtful they give up Parsons but with Parsons, they are definitely the West favorites. I would surely take them over Spurs.

2) Houston's problem isn't scoring but they would have so much firepower with double teams going towards either Melo, Harden, or Howard. It would be an offensive overload that would be just enough to make up for their horrible defense. Idk if you have watched Melo's defense but when he does, he can play defense. Not sure why he doesn't (weight issues so he can preserve his energy), but with Houston, he can save energy on the offensive end.

Granted, I think the team of Noah/Rose/Melo with Thibs coaching is a much better option than Houston for Carmelo but it will work out with Houston as well. Miami? Idk, James and Melo would be insane.

Sandman
06-28-2014, 10:20 PM

perimeter defenders are a lot easier to find than Carmelo's, and that is all that team would need

NBA_Starter
06-28-2014, 10:30 PM
If anyone can pull it off I wouldn't bet against PJ.

ohreally
06-28-2014, 10:58 PM
You could of said the samething about LeBron when he was in Cleveland, or Melo...

Zach isn't getting any younger.

Marc just said recently that Zach being resigned was important to him. And Marc is not Melo or LeBron.

Kashmir13579
06-29-2014, 12:06 AM

True but Dirk is better than anything NY had Dirk and Melo would be an awful, redundant pairing.

SILVER SEAVER
06-29-2014, 12:29 AM
Hey Phil.....when you're down with that peyote send some over my way. Does he really think that getting an aging, injury prone Gasol is going keep Melo in New York for less money?

DarkKnight
06-29-2014, 01:39 AM
yup he does

SILVER SEAVER
06-29-2014, 01:51 AM
yup he does

He's delusional in his old age then. So Melo, Pau, achy breaky A'mare, J.R., Hardaway Jr., and the garbage that Cuban sent over are going to entice Melo to stay for less and win a championship.

FOXHOUND
06-29-2014, 02:11 AM

Oh I understand, alright. Felton > :faint:

Kashmir13579
06-29-2014, 02:13 AM
He's delusional in his old age then. So Melo, Pau, achy breaky A'mare, J.R., Hardaway Jr., and the garbage that Cuban sent over are going to entice Melo to stay for less and win a championship. lmfao...

FOXHOUND
06-29-2014, 02:13 AM
Hey Phil.....when you're down with that peyote send some over my way. Does he really think that getting an aging, injury prone Gasol is going keep Melo in New York for less money?

I don't think many players view age the same way as fans do. Fans see Pau as an old player who doesn't have many strong years left, in all likelihood. I think players look at Pau and focus more on this size, skill, IQ and accomplishments as a winner, both in the NBA and the how he led Spain to give Team USA a hard time twice.

SILVER SEAVER
06-29-2014, 02:18 AM
I don't think many players view age the same way as fans do. Fans see Pau as an old player who doesn't have many strong years left, in all likelihood. I think players look at Pau and focus more on this size, skill, IQ and accomplishments as a winner, both in the NBA and the how he led Spain to give Team USA a hard time twice.

I hear what you're saying and I was one of many who wanted him on the Bulls......5 years ago. All of what you stated about Pau is true but in order for that to mean a damn thing you have to be on the floor long enough to do it.

lamzoka
06-29-2014, 02:37 AM
Few months ago almost everyone here was saying Melo is a cancer, a chucker, he's selfish, fat. He will never win a championship and now ya all want him on your favorite teams. PSD is something else man

FOXHOUND
06-29-2014, 02:38 AM
I hear what you're saying and I was one of many who wanted him on the Bulls......5 years ago. All of what you stated about Pau is true but in order for that to mean a damn thing you have to be on the floor long enough to do it.

He did average 19.5 ppg, 10.1 reb, 3.6 ast and 1.7 blk with a .511/.735 shooting line from January on. He doesn't make quite the same impact as he used to, but it's not like he's completely washed up or anything either. With his size, skills and basketball IQ he can easily age well like Duncan and make an impact past age 35 and possibly up to age 38. Like Duncan though, he needs star players to take the load off so he doesn't have to do too much to do that, and be in a situation where if he only scores 13 points some night that his intangible work, rebounding and passing will be enough to help the team win. He could do that with Melo and a 2015 FA, no problem.

Having said that I wouldn't want to pay him $15M/year or anything at this stage in his career either. I would be nervous about giving him $10M/year for anything more than a 3-year deal. But if Phil convinced him to sign for the MLE? Well, can't complain about that in any way really.

Crackadalic
06-29-2014, 02:49 AM
I get Pau doesn't make us championship worthy but how the hell is he wash up? If Duncan can be productive at his age in a system why can't Pau do the same in a more structure offense like the triangle. Yeah he's defense isn't there like before but he is still a starter in this league

He put up some pretty solid numbers even when Mike dumbtoni disrespected him. Shoot if I'm Pau I wouldn't play defense either with him as the coach

Kashmir13579
06-29-2014, 03:08 AM
I get Pau doesn't make us championship worthy but how the hell is he wash up? If Duncan can be productive at his age in a system why can't Pau do the same in a more structure offense like the triangle. Yeah he's defense isn't there like before but he is still a starter in this league

He put up some pretty solid numbers even when Mike dumbtoni disrespected him. Shoot if I'm Pau I wouldn't play defense either with him as the coach Don't bother reasoning with it.

FlashBolt
06-29-2014, 03:15 AM
Pau PER36 is 20/11/4 assists. He's worth resigning and though his defense is shady, he's a keeper imo. He would fit amazingly well with any team. IMO, him in the Warriors would be nasty.

sep11ie
06-29-2014, 03:41 AM
Few months ago almost everyone here was saying Melo is a cancer, a chucker, he's selfish, fat. He will never win a championship and now ya all want him on your favorite teams. PSD is something else man

And that's what you"ll be saying about him when he leaves.

sep11ie
06-29-2014, 03:44 AM
Am I the only Knicks fan who wants Melo to leave? What's the point of signing him back. Even if he comes back with Pau they aren't even close to being a championship contending team. After watching almost every game he's played in these past 3 years I can confidently say a team with him as their best player would probably be incapable of winning it all. He's a great scorer, and rebounder, but overall I wouldn't even say he's a top 15 player.

If I were the Knicks I would seek a sign and trade for him, maybe recoup some nice young assets and draft picks (or James Harden if the Rockets are dumb enough to give him up via sign and trade), suck it up next year get a top 5 pick plus whatever picks we get from Melo. Now you have the makings of a nice up and coming team plus a ton of cap room in 2015/2016. You add a Love, Aldridge, Gasol or whoever and now you got a possible contender for the next few years.

Yea, Morey always makes dumb trades...

slashsnake
06-29-2014, 03:52 AM
He isn't washed up, but you could say that his career is heading down not up at this point, and I don't think I would want to tie up a long term deal around him if I was NY and had a good shot at other FA's in the next couple years unless he came cheap.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-29-2014, 03:57 AM
Lol what the hell is PJ doing in NY??? creating a lakers title team only ten years older...

gasol was done like 5 years ago lulz

lamzoka
06-29-2014, 12:05 PM
Lol what the hell is PJ doing in NY??? creating a lakers title team only ten years older...

Ummm NO.

He's trying to make the Knicks compete this upcoming season, then go for the big fishes in 2015, when we'll have more than $30M in cap space.

Beltrans Mole
06-29-2014, 02:12 PM

All of these guys you mentioned don't play a lick of defense either, so why get rid of Melo? The guy is arguably the best scorer in the NBA. You give Melo some legit help he can def win a ring. We needed a PG and we got a decent, not great one. If we bring in Gasol and keep developing these young players we will be fine. Especially when we have so much freed up cap space the following season.

Aust
06-29-2014, 02:57 PM

He can still play.

kblo247
06-29-2014, 04:38 PM
Pau can play, he can't lead, but he will follow if he gets to be the guy in the robin role.

That said why go to ny when he stay in la, get more money, be with Kobe, have Melo come there and collect 18-20M, and retire in a laker jersey?

D-Leethal
06-29-2014, 04:38 PM
Its not about selling Melo on Pau and Calderon. Its about selling him on a plan and putting that plan into motion. Melo said he wants to see a 5 year plan as this is his last big contract, he spelled out that the Knicks don't need to put together a superteam next year for him to stay, he wants to be competitive and see a plan. He said last week "I love everything Phil is doing", said he had a "great meeting" with Phil and Fish, and now the reports are he is "forming a bond" with Phil. Looks clear to me he envisions the Gasol bros up front, passing the **** out of the posts with Melo as the main finisher. Sprinkle the right mix of shooters, young guys, and vets thats a core you can build a title around that would compliment each other beautifully in the right structured system.

Phil's self-assuredness is unlike anyone I have ever listened to, and the way he can articulate his thoughts is the same. I am sure he has a damn good sales pitch to go with all that. Why wouldn't Melo want to be attached to the twilight of Phil Jackson's legacy?

kblo247
06-29-2014, 04:48 PM
Its not about selling Melo on Pau and Calderon. Its about selling him on a plan and putting that plan into motion. Melo said he wants to see a 5 year plan as this is his last big contract, he spelled out that the Knicks don't need to put together a superteam next year for him to stay, he wants to be competitive and see a plan. He said last week "I love everything Phil is doing", said he had a "great meeting" with Phil and Fish, and now the reports are he is "forming a bond" with Phil. Looks clear to me he envisions the Gasol bros up front, passing the **** out of the posts with Melo as the main finisher. Sprinkle the right mix of shooters, young guys, and vets thats a core you can build a title around that would compliment each other beautifully in the right structured system.

Phil's self-assuredness is unlike anyone I have ever listened to, and the way he can articulate his thoughts is the same. I am sure he has a damn good sales pitch to go with all that. Why wouldn't Melo want to be attached to the twilight of Phil Jackson's legacy?
Yes I get all that but it's already been said by Mitch they want to bring Pau back and they do have a meeting with Melo, who Kobe admits he will recruit. Stretch Nash and you got the cap for both. Melo gets his 20M, Pau gets his 8 and a starting C role. They have Kobe who has as much a chance of being healthy as Amare, if not more. They have Randle. They have the room exception to sign a Darren Collison to start at PG or go vet min for Blake. They can retain their guys from last year like Young, Farmar while approaching a vet big like JO.

And they still have location, cap flexibility, and the chance to play for KD or Russ all while not wasting a year of his career being irrelevant.

LA can give him his cake too without saying take a huge paycut

FYL_McVeezy
06-29-2014, 06:58 PM

Lol seriously

And when he re-signs here he will go back to being a cancerous fat chucker

D-Leethal
06-29-2014, 07:04 PM
Yes I get all that but it's already been said by Mitch they want to bring Pau back and they do have a meeting with Melo, who Kobe admits he will recruit. Stretch Nash and you got the cap for both. Melo gets his 20M, Pau gets his 8 and a starting C role. They have Kobe who has as much a chance of being healthy as Amare, if not more. They have Randle. They have the room exception to sign a Darren Collison to start at PG or go vet min for Blake. They can retain their guys from last year like Young, Farmar while approaching a vet big like JO.

And they still have location, cap flexibility, and the chance to play for KD or Russ all while not wasting a year of his career being irrelevant.

LA can give him his cake too without saying take a huge paycut

You didn't sell me at all there, so I doubt you sold Melo.

nysportsfan23
06-29-2014, 07:07 PM
Simple question: what is pau gasol worth? 10 mil?

nysportsfan23
06-29-2014, 07:07 PM
There's no real consensus

SILVER SEAVER
06-29-2014, 07:13 PM
He did average 19.5 ppg, 10.1 reb, 3.6 ast and 1.7 blk with a .511/.735 shooting line from January on. He doesn't make quite the same impact as he used to, but it's not like he's completely washed up or anything either. With his size, skills and basketball IQ he can easily age well like Duncan and make an impact past age 35 and possibly up to age 38. Like Duncan though, he needs star players to take the load off so he doesn't have to do too much to do that, and be in a situation where if he only scores 13 points some night that his intangible work, rebounding and passing will be enough to help the team win. He could do that with Melo and a 2015 FA, no problem.

Having said that I wouldn't want to pay him $15M/year or anything at this stage in his career either. I would be nervous about giving him $10M/year for anything more than a 3-year deal. But if Phil convinced him to sign for the MLE? Well, can't complain about that in any way really.

All these players we are talking about will all have to take less to play alongside the talent that in their minds will help them get a ring. I just can't imagine these players with their agents behind closed doors are too thrilled at the prospect of losing that much money even if they do have endorsement deals on the side.

kblo247
06-29-2014, 09:01 PM
And wasting another year of your career after what 4 on Amare will sell Melo? I don't think so. They can set it up to play Durants free agency, maybe even turn Randle and who ever they sign once Nash is stretched (rumored to mainly be Pau or Lowry) into Love (I think loves going to be a bull in all honesty).

The lakers with Kobe, Pau, Young, Farmar, Randle is better than what the Knicks put out there with Calderon, Bargs, Amare. They will also still have the room mle to toss at hill if they go Lowry or at Mills/Collison if they go Pau.

It's all a gamble between Amare, Rose, and Kobe but last I checked Kobe's historically healthier and shown to play better than those 2, while actually having won before to boot.

FOXHOUND
06-29-2014, 09:12 PM
All these players we are talking about will all have to take less to play alongside the talent that in their minds will help them get a ring. I just can't imagine these players with their agents behind closed doors are too thrilled at the prospect of losing that much money even if they do have endorsement deals on the side.

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath on Phil being able to sell Pau on the MLE, if Phil can even maneuver to get the full MLE in time to sign Pau as it is. But if he was able to? That would be incredible lol. Unless Pau and Marc have some conversation about teaming up in 2015 on the Knicks with Melo or something, just wouldn't make sense otherwise. Pau can go to just about any of these contenders with cap space and can definitely get a deal at $10M/year.

Edit: Don't quote me on this, but it appears that the waiving of Dalembert's deal would clear enough for the Knicks to offer the full MLE to Pau Gasol.

FOXHOUND
06-29-2014, 09:22 PM
And wasting another year of your career after what 4 on Amare will sell Melo? I don't think so. They can set it up to play Durants free agency, maybe even turn Randle and who ever they sign once Nash is stretched (rumored to mainly be Pau or Lowry) into Love (I think loves going to be a bull in all honesty).

The lakers with Kobe, Pau, Young, Farmar, Randle is better than what the Knicks put out there with Calderon, Bargs, Amare. They will also still have the room mle to toss at hill if they go Lowry or at Mills/Collison if they go Pau.

It's all a gamble between Amare, Rose, and Kobe but last I checked Kobe's historically healthier and shown to play better than those 2, while actually having won before to boot.

The biggest factor is the fact that Melo doesn't want to leave NY. It's going to be hard for him to even commit to leaving if he decides to do that. The rosters may end up being similar, or depending on Kobe's health the Lakers would be better short term. The Lakers also play in the west. A scenario that would have Pau end up in NY means that the Knicks this upcoming season would be more talented than the teams he's been on the past three seasons, and he led one of those to 54 wins.

Also the health issues are not the same. Amare has health issues, but he's also an expiring contract. Rose and Kobe are much different, as they are main sells and will be mainstays on the team. The other problem with Kobe is he might just play one or two more seasons, and like Rose practically didn't play at all last season. All three are major health concerns but last year Amare at least played a good amount and unlike the other two he isn't a key part of the future.

HYFR
06-29-2014, 09:29 PM

We are not selling melo on playing with goddamn amare. That ship has sailed. We are selling him on our plan for 2015
and beyond which is already in motion

kblo247
06-29-2014, 09:40 PM
We are not selling melo on playing with goddamn amare. That ship has sailed. We are selling him on our plan for 2015
and beyond which is already in motion
And that's my point, la can sell him the same thing. They can make a play for Rondo or Marc or Love depending on how they structure things and assuming they haven't already been dealt this coming season before they can leave. They can sell him its as simple as flipping Randle or Lowry/Pau(expiring).

The lakers don't lose the flexibility of making a play for 15 or 16 free agency, but they also can tell him we have the one guy on the board who has one, a better basketball market than Ny or Chicago based off past history, and we can allow you to compete this very year. Hell they can give him the keys to the proverbial city and its legacy since it's reported Kobe was the one doing the actual reaching out to Melo which he didn't even try with Dwight (there's more respect there).

I am by no means saying he is leaving NY definitely, but The lakers have a better shot than Chicago and Houston IMO. Houston's star in Dwight won't recruit him. Chicago should make him think and ask himself what happens when its time to pay the tax to fully compete, the bulls are historically too cheap to even do it. It's the. Lakers or the Knicks IMO, and I'm just saying if Paus a selling point, he can get Pau, he can make 20mil, he can play with Kobe who will make him the guy unlike Dwight, and he can still compete while looking at free agency help the next two summers with a team he knows will spend money and has a history of winning and relevancy. Unless if the Knicks are throwing out the total Mac, they aren't clear cut favorites IMO as Melo can get the glory for returning the laker franchise back to glory by choice and would be taken care of same way Kobe's been taken care of, magic was taken care of, worthy has been taken care of, and so on. LaLa also has something to gain being that close to Hollywood.

I think its Knicks, Lakers, Bulls, Houston in that order

kblo247
06-29-2014, 09:44 PM
I'm just going to leave it at this, an insider on lg who broke the Nash deal and Dwight deals before the media announced it as well as Dwight leaving because he works at AEG (owns staples and part of the lakers) says its looking like Melo is likely to be laker from all the talk behind closed doors

Even Phil admitted Kobe is persuasive when he wants to be.
* I'm not saying he ever wanted to be for Dwight

mudvayne387
06-29-2014, 09:57 PM
Sweet !

Miami will have the big 3 and we will have the big 1 1/2 !!!

SILVER SEAVER
06-30-2014, 12:07 AM
Yeah, I'm not holding my breath on Phil being able to sell Pau on the MLE, if Phil can even maneuver to get the full MLE in time to sign Pau as it is. But if he was able to? That would be incredible lol. Unless Pau and Marc have some conversation about teaming up in 2015 on the Knicks with Melo or something, just wouldn't make sense otherwise. Pau can go to just about any of these contenders with cap space and can definitely get a deal at $10M/year.

Edit: Don't quote me on this, but it appears that the waiving of Dalembert's deal would clear enough for the Knicks to offer the full MLE to Pau Gasol.

Whatever superstar joins up with the Gasol Brothers will come out with a ring. Having them play side by side would be awesome to watch. Maybe that's what they're holding out for. If Phil was able to swing that I bow down to the Zen Master.

SILVER SEAVER
06-30-2014, 12:19 AM
Melo doesn't want to leave but having one losing season under his belt and missing the playoffs entirely in the NBA Least Conference when the Hawks were giving you every chance to claim the 8th spot was absolutely pathetic. He doesn't want to waste another year no matter what rotten goods Phil is selling him or the guilt trip he's putting him through. The only reason Phil is even there is because even that idiot Dolan can see that nobody wants to go to the Knicks because of their futility in recent memory with the exception of the '12-'13 season. Dolan figures if he gets Phil to waive his 13 total championship rings around that players like Melo will just lose themselves in the glare of the bling and stay for less in New York where the money doesn't go very far. Taxes, Taxes, Taxes. Honestly if Melo and LeBron really wanted to play together they need to take Phoenix up on their proposed scenario. They would have to let Bledsoe go but Bron, Melo playing with Dragic, Plumless, the Morris twins and that kid they drafted from NC State who is a beast defensively is a good scenario with a young nucleus and they still get paid over 20 million each. Go West young men.

east fb knicks
06-30-2014, 12:38 AM

it doesn't free up the mle but depending on how bad we want pau we could trade shump and prigs for a future first and that should do it

east fb knicks
06-30-2014, 12:41 AM
Melo doesn't want to leave but having one losing season under his belt and missing the playoffs entirely in the NBA Least Conference when the Hawks were giving you every chance to claim the 8th spot was absolutely pathetic. He doesn't want to waste another year no matter what rotten goods Phil is selling him or the guilt trip he's putting him through. The only reason Phil is even there is because even that idiot Dolan can see that nobody wants to go to the Knicks because of their futility in recent memory with the exception of the '12-'13 season. Dolan figures if he gets Phil to waive his 13 total championship rings around that players like Melo will just lose themselves in the glare of the bling and stay for less in New York where the money doesn't go very far. Taxes, Taxes, Taxes. Honestly if Melo and LeBron really wanted to play together they need to take Phoenix up on their proposed scenario. They would have to let Bledsoe go but Bron, Melo playing with Dragic, Plumless, the Morris twins and that kid they drafted from NC State who is a beast defensively is a good scenario with a young nucleus and they still get paid over 20 million each. Go West young men.

last year doesn't fall on melos shoulders mike woodson did the worst coaching job I've ever seen in my life and once j kidd left our whole team bb iq dropped like a thousand lmao and don't get me started on that gun toting Raymond fat boy feltdown

cutiepie80
06-30-2014, 12:42 AM
Melo-Gasol-Calderon= Championship.

FlashBolt
06-30-2014, 01:41 AM

For the EuroLeague, maybe....

east fb knicks
06-30-2014, 05:58 AM
For the EuroLeague, maybe....

he's a bulls troll hence the sarcasm

noah melo rose:injury: = Championship.

jerellh528
06-30-2014, 06:16 AM
You all are kind of underrating gasol. Watch him thrive again in the triangle where he can utilize his passing and post skills as opposed to dantonis system which relegated him to a mid range jump shooter. Especially with pau playing to his confidence level, just knowing Phil wants him will increase his play substantially IMO

DitchDat
06-30-2014, 06:19 AM
How is Pau Gasol at this stage in his career even a decent running mate to a superstar? They will need to make bigger moves to keep Melo I think.

east fb knicks
06-30-2014, 06:22 AM
You all are kind of underrating gasol. Watch him thrive again in the triangle where he can utilize his passing and post skills as opposed to dantonis system which relegated him to a mid range jump shooter. Especially with pau playing to his confidence level, just knowing Phil wants him will increase his play substantially IMO

bro your in the nba forum with all of the knicks haters if pau were going to the bulls he'd be a great player but just because he might go to the knicks he's old and washed up lmao

trust me from a knicks fan I think i'd jizz my pants if we got pau and melo in the triangle imo in the east that team would win 50 games easy

east fb knicks
06-30-2014, 06:25 AM
How is Pau Gasol at this stage in his career even a decent running mate to a superstar? They will need to make bigger moves to keep Melo I think.

bringing in pau at the mle now would guarantee his bro here in 2015 pj is a genius and right now he's playing chess

Mr.B
06-30-2014, 08:57 AM
That might be a bit of a reach. It definitely makes the Knicks better but it doesn't make them better than whoever ends up with Labron and it doesn't make them better than any of the top 8 teams in the West.

D-Leethal
06-30-2014, 09:13 AM
That might be a bit of a reach. It definitely makes the Knicks better but it doesn't make them better than whoever ends up with Labron and it doesn't make them better than any of the top 8 teams in the West.

Well, the idea is more Melo + Gasol 1 + Gasol 2 + Calderon + our young guys + some vets + any possible trade we can pull off down the line.

Nobody is expecting a finished product next year, not even Melo (who said as much), you guys are acting like we won't have a boatload of cap space the following season and are retooling is going to start and end with Pau.

Pau + Calderon represent that beginning of Phil's plan and vision, not the end of it.

Mr.B
06-30-2014, 09:26 AM
Well, the idea is more Melo + Gasol 1 + Gasol 2 + Calderon + our young guys + some vets + any possible trade we can pull off down the line.

Nobody is expecting a finished product next year, not even Melo (who said as much), you guys are acting like we won't have a boatload of cap space the following season and are retooling is going to start and end with Pau.

Pau + Calderon represent that beginning of Phil's plan and vision, not the end of it.
Now if the Knicks were to end up with both Gasol brothers (not likely but possible) that would definitely put them near the top of the Eastern conference. Whatever team ends up with Labron though would still be the favorite in the East though in my opinion.

D-Leethal
06-30-2014, 09:27 AM
Now if the Knicks were to end up with both Gasol brothers (not likely but possible) that would definitely put them near the top of the Eastern conference. Whatever team ends up with Labron though would still be the favorite in the East though in my opinion.

If we somehow do land Pau (which to me is the unlikely part), I think the likelihood of bringing Marc to NYC to play with his bro and Jose is about as sure as sugar.

Mr.B
06-30-2014, 09:43 AM
If we somehow do land Pau (which to me is the unlikely part), I think the likelihood of bringing Marc to NYC to play with his bro and Jose is about as sure as sugar.
Again very possible. I still think Memphis would be a better team with Marc and than the Knicks would be with Pau, Marc, and Calderon however the selling point would be that Marc has a better chance at reaching the finals with that Knick team in the East than Memphis would have in the West. I think winning a title would be a bigger draw for Marc than playing with his brother.

hugepatsfan
06-30-2014, 09:52 AM
Don't get me wrong, I think Phil has a solid plan. But when you're relying on signing guys from outside the organization a year down the road you're taking a gamble. What if Marc Gasol stays in MEM? What if the other players Phil wants to use the cap space on don't come to NY? Now Melo is screwed and at age 30 he doesn't have years to waste if he wants to get a ring as a star player. I just don't think Melo can afford to take chances right now. He needs to go to a situation that offer a concrete path to contention rather than a vision of a potential path. Just my opinion.

nycericanguy
06-30-2014, 09:52 AM
Again very possible. I still think Memphis would be a better team with Marc and than the Knicks would be with Pau, Marc, and Calderon however the selling point would be that Marc has a better chance at reaching the finals with that Knick team in the East than Memphis would have in the West. I think winning a title would be a bigger draw for Marc than playing with his brother.

Assuming Melo stays, Knicks would have a much better supporting cast than MEM.

Melo, Calderon, Pau, JR, THJR, Shump... plus some young pieces and tons of cap space.

You add MARC to that team and that's a legit contender.

LA_Raiders
06-30-2014, 10:01 AM
Gasol Will be staying with Kobe for the last run; I don't see him leaving LA.

FlashBolt
06-30-2014, 01:21 PM
Honestly, Gasol should leave LAL. What they did to him was just brutal. Much like what they did with Allen where they tried trading him countless times but ultimately kept him. Same thing with Gasol and the fact that Gasol has been through with them through everything. Kobe was injured while Gasol was still out there battling and put up 17/10. He's not very good defensively but still a strong talent.

LOOTERX9
06-30-2014, 02:19 PM
gasol is awful. melo is leaving for sure now. i dont want melo in ny anyway unless he brings lebron with him. otherwise melo a B+ player. not a franchise player

Stunner
06-30-2014, 02:21 PM
Gasol to meet with the Bulls , Thunder and Warriors .

Mr.B
06-30-2014, 02:35 PM
Assuming Melo stays, Knicks would have a much better supporting cast than MEM.

Melo, Calderon, Pau, JR, THJR, Shump... plus some young pieces and tons of cap space.

You add MARC to that team and that's a legit contender.

They would definitely be a contender and would battle for the 2nd seed in the East.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
06-30-2014, 02:41 PM
I really don't see Gasol taking only $4M to go to NY. Still think Knicks have to find a team to eat some salary like Bargnani or Stoudemire. But to do that, they probably have to toss in young assets like HardawayJR or Shumpert to get any teams listening.

Beltrans Mole
06-30-2014, 02:46 PM
I really don't see Gasol taking only $4M to go to NY. Still think Knicks have to find a team to eat some salary like Bargnani or Stoudemire. But to do that, they probably have to toss in young assets like HardawayJR or Shumpert to get any teams listening.

I'd gladly package Bargs with Shumpert to shed some salary and get a pick back.

rhd420
06-30-2014, 03:27 PM
Honestly, Gasol should leave LAL. What they did to him was just brutal. Much like what they did with Allen where they tried trading him countless times but ultimately kept him. Same thing with Gasol and the fact that Gasol has been through with them through everything. Kobe was injured while Gasol was still out there battling and put up 17/10. He's not very good defensively but still a strong talent.

AGREED - and in a system where he's comfortable with
It's not like he hasn't worked with a ball hog player and won a couple a few titles out of it?
BUT in reality, the Lakers and Gasol need a split for good - the direction of the team and his style are in complete opposites, even though the Lakers need bigs desperately

nycericanguy
06-30-2014, 03:57 PM

They may have to do that, once the dust settles there will be a lot of teams way below the salary cap floor.

Knicks could offer Bargs + their $3m cash to those teams.

Teams below the floor get charged until they meet the floor, so taking Bargs while getting $3m cash back could be enough incentive.

But I do think Pau would consider NY on a 3/12m deal which is what they can offer. He's close to PJ, Fisher & Calderon and I'm sure he would love to be a key piece in the triangle again. Most contending teams can't offer more than the $5m MLE, and he likely wouldn't start on those teams either.

Aust
06-30-2014, 06:20 PM
But I do think Pau would consider NY on a 3/12m deal which is what they can offer. He's close to PJ, Fisher & Calderon and I'm sure he would love to be a key piece in the triangle again. Most contending teams can't offer more than the $5m MLE, and he likely wouldn't start on those teams either.

I highly doubt he would seriously consider that. I'm confident he could get 10/yr elsewhere.