PDA

View Full Version : Embiid-Noel tandem

emman03
06-27-2014, 01:06 PM
what you guys thinking of it??

Dade County
06-27-2014, 01:12 PM
I love what the 76'ers are doing.

I just hope they can get that young wing player, that can create plays for others.

Aust
06-27-2014, 01:12 PM
Considering they have played a combined 0 games together and 0 games in the NBA, idk what to think. It's always nice to have young talent with potential though.

WITZ
06-27-2014, 01:19 PM
Curious how they are going to work together being as Noel was drafted as a center and now they just drafted Embiid. Are they just going to get in each others way in the paint even thought I know embiid can hit that outside jumper with some consistency his post moves are to good for him to be outside the paint on most possessions.

bucketss
06-27-2014, 01:23 PM
very smart, if u can't get wiggins/parker you will be real dumb to pass up embid, regardless of need.

Jint.
06-27-2014, 01:25 PM
The Hurt Towers..

ManRam
06-27-2014, 01:29 PM
Studly.

Silent
06-27-2014, 01:33 PM
the sixers had the best draft they stockpiled talent

waveycrockett
06-27-2014, 01:36 PM
A Medical Staff's worst nightmare

QueensG_718
06-27-2014, 01:49 PM
A foot injury on a big man is straight murder. I wouldn't have drafted him with the third pick. That can be a chronic problem. Too risky

Jetsguy
06-27-2014, 02:05 PM
its perfect because they can tank again and in like 3 years when these guys are healthy and overseas talent is ready they will be good

hugepatsfan
06-27-2014, 02:07 PM
Is Embiid even gonna play this year or is Philly gonna sit him and tank again? I think it can work with those 2. Noel has worked on his mid range game by all accounts and I think Embiid can be OK in that area as well. They're not two space clogging clunkers. If both are healthy they could be great together IMO.

jerellh528
06-27-2014, 02:32 PM
Philly should just sit Embiid the entire year and have him get completely 100% healthy for next year. Do nothing but study the game, tape, and light work on his post and footwork etc.

ManRam
06-27-2014, 02:36 PM
Is Embiid even gonna play this year or is Philly gonna sit him and tank again? I think it can work with those 2. Noel has worked on his mid range game by all accounts and I think Embiid can be OK in that area as well. They're not two space clogging clunkers. If both are healthy they could be great together IMO.

They won't rush him, but I doubt they sit him out the whole season just for the hell of it.

I said in the Noel thread that I think he'll still be the best player of the 2013 draft. I think Embiid, if he's healthy, will be the best player in this draft. So yeah...that pretty much sums up how I feel. And I think their injury concerns have been overblown, big time. I think Embiid, even with the injury/injuries presented less of a risk than Exum. We pretend like the only risk with these guys are injuries. That's just not true. The risk that they just don't pan out is very real too. Exum has that risk. Even Wiggins has that risk offensively. Parker has that risk defensively. Embiid doesn't have that risk at all.

ottograham14
06-27-2014, 02:53 PM
I love it if they can get Andrew Bynum back to go with them..........crickets, crickets

Dark Donnie
06-27-2014, 03:11 PM
Hinkie was on today and said he'll have Embiid at the 4 an Noel at 5.

Melo15
06-27-2014, 03:20 PM
I honestly love the potential of this duo. As prospects Noel and Embiid both have high ceilings. I think Embiid is far and away the better prospect, but Noel can be a force defensively. To me, what's going to decide how lethal these two can be together it comes down to Noel's ability to develop a jumper. Rumors are that he's been working on a jumper while injured, if true I love this fit.

hugepatsfan
06-27-2014, 03:23 PM
If both of them end up being really good but their games don't mesh then PHI can use one of them has a highly valuable trade chip.

clehmun
06-28-2014, 02:58 AM
Not as good as the A.Davis-Noel tandem that the Pelicans gave up.

dcenate05050
06-28-2014, 03:17 AM
they'll never stay healthy together long enough to do real damage in the NBA

Crackadalic
06-28-2014, 03:43 AM
Can Noel play power forward?

Raps08-09 Champ
06-28-2014, 03:50 AM
Injuries on injuries on injuries.

omdigga
06-28-2014, 03:57 AM
Sampson and Olajuwan

kingsdelez24
06-28-2014, 04:04 AM
Sampson and Olajuwan

Samson sat years put due to injury, not to work on his game

astonmartin10
06-28-2014, 05:06 AM
I like the pick. Guess they will tank again this year tho. Fans going have to be patient.

Iron24th
06-28-2014, 05:19 AM
Bynum missed the whole season two years ago, Noel missed the whole last one, and Embiid will probably miss this one.

bravo philly where sam bowie happens every year

CityofTreez
06-28-2014, 05:36 AM
Hinkie was on today and said he'll have Embiid at the 4 an Noel at 5.

You put the taller/longer dominating player at PF?

I guess some teams can pull it off, but weird leak of news.

TheIlladelph16
06-28-2014, 09:22 AM
Not as good as the A.Davis-Noel tandem that the Pelicans gave up.

The Pelicans pick was at #10 so they didn't give up Embiid. They never had a real shot at getting him.

flea
06-28-2014, 09:34 AM
Noel had a not-awful midrange jumper in college. He's not Serge Ibaka with it or anything but I could see him getting there with work.

IndyRealist
06-28-2014, 09:50 AM
Can Noel play power forward?

When Noel was drafted he was like 208lbs. Even if he lifted all year I doubt he's over 230. He should be plenty fast enough.

IndyRealist
06-28-2014, 09:51 AM
The Pelicans pick was at #10 so they didn't give up Embiid. They never had a real shot at getting him.

Re-read Clehmun's post. He said Noel not Embiid.

IndyRealist
06-28-2014, 09:52 AM
You put the taller/longer dominating player at PF?

I guess some teams can pull it off, but weird leak of news.

It's not size, it's skill set. I suspect Noel is a better paint protector so he's the 5.

lkingratedr
06-28-2014, 10:39 AM
Philly is going the detroit route ...interchangeable pf-c combo like monroe and drummond

ManningToTyree
06-28-2014, 10:43 AM
The sixers are rebuilding the way you should. That front court is full of potential

lvlheaded
06-28-2014, 10:56 AM
I wish they would have taken McBuckets instead of getting Saric. They need people to shoot.

That said, Embiid is the best player from this draft so you can't knock the pick from a talent standpoint. Curious to see the dynamic at work

todu82
06-28-2014, 11:49 AM
Nice, if both are healthy they can turn Philly into a great team.

RLundi
06-28-2014, 12:50 PM
I don't love it but we'll see.

D-Leethal
06-28-2014, 12:53 PM
Ill be impressed when they win some games. These lottoriffic teams always get drooled upon, heralded the next OKC and they all continue to suck balls.

D-Leethal
06-28-2014, 12:53 PM
Neither one has played a god damn minute in the NBA.

DR_1
06-29-2014, 09:10 AM
I'm baffled as to why they picked Saric when they have a nice dup like this.

theducksmuggler
06-29-2014, 09:49 AM
I'm baffled as to why they picked Saric when they have a nice dup like this.

Saric is #3 point foward he can play the 3 next to Noel and Embiid have a frontcourt of 6'11 7'1 6'10...if they can play together that is a huge matchup problem

dodgersuck
06-29-2014, 01:17 PM
I really like the potential, sixers are going to suck next year anyways so might as well get the best player available. In a couple years Saric can come over after they have a couple of other 1st rounders in the mix and they'll be stacked.

yaswaggin
06-30-2014, 07:10 PM
the crazy thing is we're set to tank again and are gonna grab another top 5 pick next year in another stacked draft

plus you have westbrook and durant's contracts ending soon

knicksfan1794
06-30-2014, 08:54 PM
Plus MCW is 6'6

all they need is a 6'8 2 guard and they will be a huge lineup!

Tony_Starks
06-30-2014, 09:00 PM
Will probably play less than 60 games together. Drafting one hurt big with "upside" is risky, drafting two is pure idiocy....

ManRam
06-30-2014, 09:11 PM
Will probably play less than 60 games together. Drafting one hurt big with "upside" is risky, drafting two is pure idiocy....

Is it idiocy tho? Noel was a top-2 pick before his injures. Embiid was probably #1. They got them at 6 and 3 respectively. If they stay healthy then, well...they're geniuses and a team that didn't overreact. There's risk with them, but there's risk with all these guys. I mean, look at Bennett, Porter, Zeller and Len...all went ahead of Noel, all extremely risky picks that might not pan out. We act like the only risks are guys that have had injuries...and that's just silly. Even Wiggins and Parker come with some risk.

They very well could be great value picks. They very well could be the best players in each of their respective drafts.

Let's wait until some time passes before we label them "idiots"...

Tony_Starks
06-30-2014, 09:36 PM
Is it idiocy tho? Noel was a top-2 pick before his injures. Embiid was probably #1. They got them at 6 and 3 respectively. If they stay healthy then, well...they're geniuses and a team that didn't overreact. There's risk with them, but there's risk with all these guys. I mean, look at Bennett, Porter, Zeller and Len...all went ahead of Noel, all extremely risky picks that might not pan out. We act like the only risks are guys that have had injuries...and that's just silly. Even Wiggins and Parker come with some risk.

They very well could be great value picks. They very well could be the best players in each of their respective drafts.

Let's wait until some time passes before we label them "idiots"...

If you play the odds and go by history it does equate to idiocy. You're taking another consecutive big that will probably sit a season. One with back problems and a broken arch in his foot, 2 of the worst injuries a big man could ever have. When is the last time you can even recall a injured rookie center that had a decent career? And last years draft is irrelevant, going in everyone knew it was incredibly weak on talent. This years was the opposite.

Had it just been with one the reward would have outweighed the risk. But when you x's that by two the likelihood that at least one of them will be a bust is incredibly high. All you're going by now is high hopes and potential but there where plenty of no brainer ready to play guys that could've been had.

ManRam
06-30-2014, 09:49 PM
If you play the odds and go by history it does equate to idiocy. You're taking another consecutive big that will probably sit a season. One with back problems and a broken arch in his foot, 2 of the worst injuries a big man could ever have. When is the last time you can even recall a injured rookie center that had a decent career? And last years draft is irrelevant, going in everyone knew it was incredibly weak on talent. This years was the opposite.

Had it just been with one the reward would have outweighed the risk. But when you x's that by two the likelihood that at least one of them will be a bust is incredibly high. All you're going by now is high hopes and potential but there where plenty of no brainer ready to play guys that could've been had.

I'm just willing to let it play out. If it works out, then clearly they weren't idiots. It's that simple. I don't get why people are so eager to judge drafts before the players have even stepped foot on the court. Strictly speaking talent-wise, they were the best talents available. If health wasn't a thing both probably go #1. Thus, I do think the reward can outweigh the risk...especially Noel.

We'll see. I'm just not gonna throw around "idiot" at least until they step foot on the court. Both are svelte guys too...that has me a bit more optimistic about their health. It's not like they huge, awkward, lumbering 7 footers. They're pretty lean dudes.

For every Oden there's a Griffin :shrug:

Sactown
06-30-2014, 09:50 PM
If it pans out you have two elite shot blockers, and for people asking about positions, it doesn't matter, the more skilled of the two will play high post while the other plays low post, it's about matchups not position. And about the risk... I see it as just as risky as taking a 6'6 euro PG who's highlights come from an under 19 tournament and one nike game ... Nobody has any real clue if Exum can compete at the next level that warrants a top 5 pick... Or Orlando who took a PF based off of athleticism and defensive potential... Nobody is a sure thing.. So while Embiid's risk may be different than the others it doesn't make it worse

ManRam
06-30-2014, 09:53 PM
If it pans out you have two elite shot blockers, and for people asking about positions, it doesn't matter, the more skilled of the two will play high post while the other plays low post, it's about matchups not position. And about the risk... I see it as just as risky as taking a 6'6 euro PG who's highlights come from an under 19 tournament and one nike game ... Nobody has any real clue if Exum can compete at the next level that warrants a top 5 pick... Or Orlando who took a PF based off of athleticism and defensive potential... Nobody is a sure thing.. So while Embiid's risk may be different than the others it doesn't make it worse

He's not a Euro, but your point stands. Again, I just don't get why people pretend like the only risks in the draft are the guys with injury issues. That's just silly...like you said. The notion that Exum is a sure thing and Embiid is risk unworthy of touching with a 12 foot pole is something I just don't get. There are so many busts every year...every guy is a risk of sorts.

Sactown
06-30-2014, 10:01 PM
He's not a Euro, but your point stands. Again, I just don't get why people pretend like the only risks in the draft are the guys with injury issues. That's just silly...like you said. The notion that Exum is a sure thing and Embiid is risk unworthy of touching with a 12 foot pole is something I just don't get. There are so many busts every year...every guy is a risk of sorts. Duh he's from Australia haha my bad but yeah he's just as big of a risk, and so is the idea that Wiggins becomes another Gerald Green... Every pick has upside as well and clearly Philly believes the potential extra risk of Embiid's injury was worth the much more massive upside he has compared to the players who were picked behind Him

Dark Donnie
06-30-2014, 10:44 PM
When Noel was drafted he was like 208lbs. Even if he lifted all year I doubt he's over 230. He should be plenty fast enough.
I think he said he's 225 right now... Saw that somewhere. Said his jumper has come a long way.

Mave1002
06-30-2014, 11:06 PM
who knows? Im pretty sure though, once they get better, they will walk and sign with other teams.

Tony_Starks
06-30-2014, 11:33 PM
I stand by my opinion. If these guys ever end up playing a entire season together I would be utterly shocked.

Would love to be proven wrong for basketball sake but I just can't see it.

What Hinkie is attempting to do with this epic 3-4 year tank plan is good in theory I guess. I doubt the fans will have the patience to sit through all that though, not in Philly.

JEDean89
07-01-2014, 12:07 AM
The thing with philly is that they are doing something very interesting that hasn't really been done before. most teams intend to tank for a year or 2, thinking that they can dip down, nab a stud and fill in the rest with trades and fa and be back in playoff contention in a jiff. What Philly is attempting to do is to bogart as much talent as they can in what appears to be more of a 3-4 year tank (maybe more). They are likely gonna try and get another 1st for next years draft and they will almost certainly get a top 4 guy next year (i am sure they will be garbage). They drafted Saric and Embiid who will take 2 and 1 years to get on an nba court respectively. This means that they will likely suck again in 2015-2016 and possibly 2016-2017 but all of a sudden, they have tons of talent on a young team that can be traded into the right pieces.

i think what they are doing is really interesting because they are trying to put 3-4 MVP type players on the same team surrounded by more talented draft picks. if they can strike gold in next years draft then we could see the future of how teams are built.

Corey
07-01-2014, 11:11 AM
Sixer fans: Pay attention to Kelly Oubre.

He's going to be the guy you want next year.

Lefty, 6'7 shooting guard / SF, 7'2 wingspan, adequate spot up shooter, finishes above the rim in transition, long defender.

He's ranked around 10/11 in projections right now, but scouts are already calling him the wing in this class with the most NBA upside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYrO1DV1q8A

MCW (6'6), Oubre (6'7), Saric (6'10), Noel (7'), Embiid (7')....Good luck matching up long term.

Alayla
07-01-2014, 03:03 PM

but your also doubling your chances one pans out.

Alayla
07-01-2014, 03:07 PM
who knows? Im pretty sure though, once they get better, they will walk and sign with other teams.

Why you dont feel Noel Emiid and MCW will work out assuming health? that looks like a pretty crazy core if you ask me.

TheIlladelph16
07-01-2014, 03:32 PM
I stand by my opinion. If these guys ever end up playing a entire season together I would be utterly shocked.

Would love to be proven wrong for basketball sake but I just can't see it.

What Hinkie is attempting to do with this epic 3-4 year tank plan is good in theory I guess. I doubt the fans will have the patience to sit through all that though, not in Philly.

You would be utterly shocked to see them even play a single season together? I feel like your overestimating injuries to say it would be shocking that they even play a single season together. Sure its possible, but I think the odds are against you on that one.

The majority of fans are on board for the rebuild and like what Hinkie is doing. Of course, talk radio and the Philly.com/sports comments section don't reflect that because a lot of absolute idiots call in and post there. I think Philly fans are going to be fine for a couple years. We've seen 10 plus years of mediocrity, picking players to help them in the short-term and blowing our cap for players like Elton Brand and Andre Igoudala. We need real, superstar potential talent to win and attract FAs here, and that's what Hinkie is trying to build.