PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Surprises of the draft?

JasonJohnHorn
06-27-2014, 09:38 AM
I am a self-professed novice when it comes to college basketball, but judging from past drafts, so are the bulk of NBA execs. I usually look up a bunch of different mock drafts and then check out the stats to see who looks interesting (not that they tell you everything), but every year there are a few surprises.

I noticed for instances that Aaron Gordon when 4th overall, but I didn't see him going as a lottery pick in any of the mock drafts I looked at (most had Julius Randle and Noah Vonleh going well before him).

And I noticed a lot of mock drafts Adreian Payne, Rodney Hood, and Gary Harris going in the lottery, but they slip down to the mid-late teens.

So what were some of the biggest surprises you saw? Which players do you think got overlooked? And which players did you think went to early. Were there any guys that the mocks drafts you saw didn't place high, but you liked and then saw get picked higher than the mock drafts? And now that we got a sense of who is going to be playing where, who do you think is in a position to put up some crazy numbers this year?

mike_noodles
06-27-2014, 09:42 AM
Gotta be the Raps at #20 taking Bruno.

Wade n Fade
06-27-2014, 09:50 AM
Bruno. When I heard his name, I was pissed and like wtf.

ManRam
06-27-2014, 09:52 AM
Gotta be Bruno. I mean, the dude didn't have a Wikipedia page.

Gordon was a surprise, but there were rumors before the draft that he wouldn't slip past 6 and that Boston would nab him too. He certainly was a lottery pick, JJH. But most assumed he'd be the 3rd PF off the board, not the first. A perceived reach =/= a bad pick though. Only time will prove that.

Besides that, the draft more or less played out pretty predictably.

mjt20mik
06-27-2014, 10:08 AM
Gotta be Bruno. I mean, the dude didn't have a Wikipedia page.

Gordon was a surprise, but there were rumors before the draft that he wouldn't slip past 6 and that Boston would nab him too. He certainly was a lottery pick, JJH. But most assumed he'd be the 3rd PF off the board, not the first. A perceived reach =/= a bad pick though. Only time will prove that.

Besides that, the draft more or less played out pretty predictably.

This. I literally had to google the kid

torocan
06-27-2014, 11:08 AM
Bruno and it isn't even close. Masai is most definitely swinging for the fences. It either pays off massively, or in 3 years it will look like a monstrous waste of the 20th pick. Given his track record I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Other than that, Shabazz falling all the way to the Bobcats and then getting traded to Miami, and Cleanthony Early making it all the way to the 2nd round.

ThuglifeJ
06-27-2014, 11:18 AM
I would have taken Payne 3rd...dude has the right mindset and is great asset. He's not a star in NBA buy he's automatically in any rotation as a valuable big

bucketss
06-27-2014, 11:41 AM
bruno was a shocker, i hope masai didn't let his connection with basketball without borders affect his decision here, and he actually sees something in this kid.

greg_ory_2005
06-27-2014, 11:55 AM
The freakin random guy the raptors took

ManRam
06-27-2014, 12:01 PM
Also, JJH, re: Gordon.

That was yesterday, so it was kinda last minute, but yeah...

Raps08-09 Champ
06-27-2014, 12:08 PM
Bruno! He was 2 years away from being 2 years away.

ink
06-27-2014, 12:32 PM
Bruno and it isn't even close. Masai is most definitely swinging for the fences. It either pays off massively, or in 3 years it will look like a monstrous waste of the 20th pick. Given his track record I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Other than that, Shabazz falling all the way to the Bobcats and then getting traded to Miami, and Cleanthony Early making it all the way to the 2nd round.

Definitely Bruno. Masai has strong beliefs in the unknown players in his Basketball Without Borders program but this could really blow up on him. This is a patient pick on the one hand because it could be years before Bruno pans out, but it's also an impatient pick because Masai seems to have wanted someone spectacular from this spectacular draft. So much so that he wagered a first round pick, all or nothing. Hope it works out for him. I'll support the kid, hope he really does well.

jaydubb
06-27-2014, 12:40 PM
I think the 76ers top 2 picks are somewhat of a surprise.. I mean that's 2 great picks, but neither one will play in the NBA next year. Saric is playing in turkey for 2 years and embiid is having surgery that might have him miss his full first season.

In 2 years I can really see these 2 picks paying off tho.

72 Wins
06-27-2014, 12:47 PM
I would have taken Payne 3rd...dude has the right mindset and is great asset. He's not a star in NBA buy he's automatically in any rotation as a valuable big

I LOVE Payne to be honest; but due to his health, I was honestly surprised he was drafted as high as he was.

Crackadalic
06-27-2014, 02:34 PM
That Bruno Kid. I was dumb founded when I heard his name.

CELTICS4LYFE
06-27-2014, 02:40 PM
What mock draft didn't have Gordon going in the lotto??!!! Not as high as 4th but was def a lotto pick...

But him going 4th was a surprise/relief for me, I didn't want the C's taking him...got the guy I wanted in Smart, also wanted Warren but glad Young fell in our laps.

The biggest was the NBA picking Austin! Thought that was very classy of them!!!

JEDean89
06-27-2014, 03:05 PM
^^^ there were tons that didn't have him in the lotto throughout the season, i think he really impressed in workouts and at the combine.

Hawkamania
06-27-2014, 03:10 PM
What mock draft didn't have Gordon going in the lotto??!!! Not as high as 4th but was def a lotto pick...

But him going 4th was a surprise/relief for me, I didn't want the C's taking him...got the guy I wanted in Smart, also wanted Warren but glad Young fell in our laps.

I was surprised to see Gordon go at 4 as well.. I believe Orlando could have moved down in the lottery a bit, allowing them to attain more assets, and still got their guy.

ThuglifeJ
06-27-2014, 03:34 PM
Lol Patrick Patterson's tweet after the Bruno pick.

ManRam
06-27-2014, 03:58 PM

Both DraftExpress and NBAdraft.net's last mocks had him 5th. Chad Ford had him as high as 5 I believe. Alex Kennedy had Gordon 6. Rotoworld's final had him 5. He creeped up there in the end.

nyyfan4life
06-27-2014, 04:03 PM
Patric Young not getting drafted was a bit surprising. Slightly undersized and has no offensive game but the guy has a NBA ready body and can develop into a nice defensive anchor, IMO.

bucketss
06-27-2014, 04:15 PM
i remember patric young hating on valanciunas when the u.s team got beat by Lithuania, lool dude was mad as hell. lol he use to brag about how his gonna be a top 5 pick(he projected around there at the time)

Jamiecballer
06-27-2014, 09:01 PM
I only had to watch P Young twice to know why he wasn't getting drafted.

Watching Patric Young try to finish close to the basket is like watching my two year old try to get all their pee pee in the toilet.

Avenged
06-27-2014, 09:47 PM
The Lakers Mod, Bruno.

Miltstar
06-27-2014, 09:53 PM
I think the 76ers top 2 picks are somewhat of a surprise.. I mean that's 2 great picks, but neither one will play in the NBA next year. Saric is playing in turkey for 2 years and embiid is having surgery that might have him miss his full first season.

In 2 years I can really see these 2 picks paying off tho.

meanwhile they are near the top of the lottery again both years, if they can pick up a couple quality wing players they could end up as the team to beat in 5-6 years.

GiantsSwaGG
06-27-2014, 10:11 PM
2 years away from 2 years away

MrfadeawayJB
06-27-2014, 11:51 PM
Besides Bruno, Harris dropping do far