PDA

View Full Version : Lin to be traded if either James or Carmelo commits

eternal slumber
06-26-2014, 03:43 PM
https://twitter.com/HowardBeck/statuses/482239477721858048

mightybosstone
06-26-2014, 03:46 PM
Mmm... I wouldn't really consider this thread worthy at this point. People have been tweeting this out since last night and it seems to be common knowledge at this point. But unless someone actually commits and Houston actually needs the cap space, the whole thing is a moot point.

Wade n Fade
06-26-2014, 03:47 PM
That awkward moment when Jeremy Lin will be a Rocket in 2014/2015.

Htownballa1622
06-26-2014, 03:48 PM
But but but.
I thought "NOBODY." would take on that contract?

Morey :smoking:

eternal slumber
06-26-2014, 03:51 PM
Mmm... I wouldn't really consider this thread worthy at this point. People have been tweeting this out since last night and it seems to be common knowledge at this point. But unless someone actually commits and Houston actually needs the cap space, the whole thing is a moot point.

i just posted this because majority here thought that NOBODY will trade for Lin's contract.

raiderfaninTX
06-26-2014, 03:54 PM
So lin's not going anywhere

numba1CHANGsta
06-26-2014, 03:57 PM
No one in their right mind would trade for Lin's contract

goingfor28
06-26-2014, 03:58 PM
Any word to where?

Thumper 88
06-26-2014, 04:00 PM
Any word to where?

I hear the Phillies wouldn't mind that contract

eternal slumber
06-26-2014, 04:02 PM
Any word to where?

maybe a rebuilding team from the east. just attached the pick that was acquired from the Asik trade plus Motiejunas to make it enticing.

Vinylman
06-26-2014, 04:04 PM
But but but.
I thought "NOBODY." would take on that contract?

Morey :smoking:

ummm... lets see what you give UP to get someone to take that contract...

although you might be right... if anyone can find a useful idiot (NBA GM) to take that contract its Morey :laugh:

gatkins11
06-26-2014, 04:04 PM

Agreed.

rockets-fan
06-26-2014, 04:05 PM

Morey can make it happen.

slashsnake
06-26-2014, 04:09 PM

I think so teams will, it depends what is put in with it. There are teams that would take an expiring deal for a potentially marketable player for a year and see what happens. Throw in some picks or something of worth (Parsons). Send him back to NY if Melo leaves and NY is looking ahead to next year for FA help and wants to sell some tickets this season. Send him to Golden State with Parsons where they can use that trade exeption. If you can afford him (and they can), then a 9 mil cap space for Parsons and Lin doesn't sound bad at all.

Vinylman
06-26-2014, 04:11 PM
why is this so far fetched for some... their is a salary floor in the NBA that teams must meet...

If you are rebuilding it is an easy decision as long as you get picks or young players in the deal.

goingfor28
06-26-2014, 04:11 PM
I hear the Phillies wouldn't mind that contract
Lo

maybe a rebuilding team from the east. just attached the pick that was acquired from the Asik trade plus Motiejunas to make it enticing.
Makes sense

rockets-fan
06-26-2014, 04:13 PM
why is this so far fetched for some... their is a salary floor in the NBA that teams must meet...

If you are rebuilding it is an easy decision as long as you get picks or young players in the deal.

Some people just don't get the concept my friend...

5ass
06-26-2014, 04:14 PM
Probably the bucks.

mightybosstone
06-26-2014, 04:15 PM
That awkward moment when Jeremy Lin will be a Rocket in 2014/2015.

So lin's not going anywhere

ummm... lets see what you give UP to get someone to take that contract...

although you might be right... if anyone can find a useful idiot (NBA GM) to take that contract its Morey :laugh:

Agreed.

:facepalm:

Do I really need to go through the long list of things Daryl Morey has done as a GM? Because there's a lot. Just off the top of my head, he acquired guys like Luis Scola, Kyle Lowry and Goran Dragic for almost nothing when they were unknown commodities, dealt an aged T-Mac with a bad contract for Kevin Martin and Jordan Hill a year out of college, drafted Aaron Brooks, Carl Landry, Chandler Parsons and Terrence Jones with non-lottery draft picks, found the potential in defensive studs Patrick Beverley and Omer Asik when few others did, traded one season of Kevin Martin and junk to OKC for James freaking Harden and convinced Dwight Howard to leave the Lakers and come to Houston.

The guy isn't perfect, but he's done more than enough at this point to be given the benefit of the doubt. People didn't think he could get rid of Asik's contract, but he did that too. If there are rumors saying that Morey can move Jeremy Lin, then Morey can ****ing move Jeremy Lin.

5ass
06-26-2014, 04:15 PM
They have a 1st this year, and 2 next year they can use.

Dark Donnie
06-26-2014, 04:17 PM
Sixers will probably take it for a 1st

Vinylman
06-26-2014, 04:18 PM
Some people just don't get the concept my friend...

Morey's ability to be active is what lands him opportunities... I don't necessarily buy into all his analytics but i do think the constant churn of players is low risk. Sometimes you find gems sometime you find terds but the key is he always knows he can dump the ones that don't work out on some lesser GM.

mightybosstone
06-26-2014, 04:26 PM
They have a 1st this year, and 2 next year they can use.

This. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if their first rounder this year or the one they just acquired from New Orleans was dealt in that package. In fact, if they have a trade partner lined up and they know who that trade partner would want with the Rockets pick tonight, I wouldn't be shocked if Houston was picking for that particular team so they can turn around and ship off that player and Lin off in that deal after Houston finds a player worth spending big money on.

NYKnickFanatic
06-26-2014, 04:43 PM
What's so bad about Lin's contract? It's an expiring, isn't it? No big deal.

IndyRealist
06-26-2014, 04:57 PM
What's so bad about Lin's contract? It's an expiring, isn't it? No big deal.

People just pissy because he gets paid $15M next year (only $8.3M counts towards the cap, though). Obviously someone is going to take him if the deal is right. Houston is probably sending out a lottery protected 1st in the package. And there are a half dozen East teams that would be happy to take on Lin and a pick if it gets Lebron out of Miami.

beasted86
06-26-2014, 05:07 PM
:facepalm:

Do I really need to go through the long list of things Daryl Morey has done as a GM? Because there's a lot. Just off the top of my head, he acquired guys like Luis Scola, Kyle Lowry and Goran Dragic for almost nothing when they were unknown commodities, dealt an aged T-Mac with a bad contract for Kevin Martin and Jordan Hill a year out of college, drafted Aaron Brooks, Carl Landry, Chandler Parsons and Terrence Jones with non-lottery draft picks, found the potential in defensive studs Patrick Beverley and Omer Asik when few others did, traded one season of Kevin Martin and junk to OKC for James freaking Harden and convinced Dwight Howard to leave the Lakers and come to Houston.

The guy isn't perfect, but he's done more than enough at this point to be given the benefit of the doubt. People didn't think he could get rid of Asik's contract, but he did that too. If there are rumors saying that Morey can move Jeremy Lin, then Morey can ****ing move Jeremy Lin.

All of these accomplishments and how many times has his team been out of the first round?

beasted86
06-26-2014, 05:09 PM
People just pissy because he gets paid $15M next year (only $8.3M counts towards the cap, though). Obviously someone is going to take him if the deal is right. Houston is probably sending out a lottery protected 1st in the package. And there are a half dozen East teams that would be happy to take on Lin and a pick if it gets Lebron out of Miami.

It's more than likely Carmelo than LeBron. But we'll see what happens and what they have to package top get rid of Lin.

I don't see it as Philly since all indications are they are taking Exum while keeping MCW.

Crackadalic
06-26-2014, 05:12 PM
Watch Lin get traded to the Lakers if they miss out on Lebron/Melo. I totally see them getting him. Maybe a future pick added if the lakers want to take on his salary

NBA_Starter
06-26-2014, 05:34 PM
LeBron to the Rockets??:speechless:

Vinylman
06-26-2014, 05:39 PM
Watch Lin get traded to the Lakers if they miss out on Lebron/Melo. I totally see them getting him. Maybe a future pick added if the lakers want to take on his salary

depending on what goes on with other FA's i wouldn't be surprised at all... Buss is that dumb... I would have been happy to see the Lakers take him if it had also meant getting Asik... the Lakers aren't winning anything anytime soon so getting picks only add flexibility in deals...

Bruno
06-26-2014, 05:56 PM
I'd like to know what Lin could be traded to.

I'm holding onto him in a full team keeper league with the hopes he gets traded into a starting line up on a mid level team. :)

anyone have any guesses? Ive heard golden state and thats it.

Hawkamania
06-26-2014, 06:00 PM
Lin will be moved regardless of what Melo or James decide to do if Morey is able to find an interested trade partner.

mightybosstone
06-26-2014, 06:04 PM
Lin will be moved regardless of what Melo or James decide to do if Morey is able to find an interested trade partner.

I think that'll depend on what Houston has to include in the trade. If someone is willing to just take Lin's contract and offer up like a second rounder in return, I think Morey takes that deal. If someone wants Lin AND a first rounder, then Morey has no incentive to make that deal unless he's getting a star player with that additional cap space.

Bostonjorge
06-26-2014, 06:09 PM
So Lin has been on trade block for a year and no one wanted to trade for him. So now rockets finally have a trade partner and only want to trade Lin if they get lebron or melo? If rockets had a trade partner for Lin they would of traded him by now.

mightybosstone
06-26-2014, 06:12 PM
All of these accomplishments and how many times has his team been out of the first round?

Since when does being a good GM necessarily translate to postseason success? All he can do is compile the players. They have to win the games. Pat Riley isn't some genius GM. All he did was convince Lebron and Bosh to join Wade in Miami. That wasn't even probably that challenging of a job. All he has to do is sit there being Pat ****ing Riley in one of the sexiest cities in the world and ask three friends if they want to form one of the greatest trios in NBA history. The fact that they all said "yes" doesn't make him a genius. It makes him insanely fortunate.

And you ever thought about the assets Morey has had to work with when he took this team over? When he took over in 2007, Houston had two aging, oft-injured superstars on long-term, max contracts and essentially no other decent assets. When he finally got out from underneath those contracts, Houston spent three years outperforming their overall talent, because he did such a good job acquiring assets out of thin air. Then he nails it with the Harden trade and backs it up with Howard.

If you want to rip on someone for Houston only making it out of the first round once since Morey got here, blame two groups. Blame the front office who ****ed things up before Morey ever came on board and blame this current team over this last season for underachieving and not getting past Portland. Morey deserves zero blame, and that's coming from someone who has lived and breathed Rockets basketball for 20 years and has endured nearly two decades of mediocrity.

kingsdelez24
06-26-2014, 06:15 PM
It would be hilarious if Linsanity cam back to NY at the expense of Anthony

torocan
06-26-2014, 06:23 PM
So Lin has been on trade block for a year and no one wanted to trade for him. So now rockets finally have a trade partner and only want to trade Lin if they get lebron or melo? If rockets had a trade partner for Lin they would of traded him by now.

Um, didn't you just say the same thing about Asik and they got back a 4-19 1st rounder?

And no, moving Lin at this point without a need for the cap space is actually a bad roster move. Just as Lin's value declined as they approached the 3rd year (reducing the discount value of his first 2 years at $5M) Lin has hit his low point in value (full $15M owed) and will actually improve throughout the season.

At the mid-season he'll only be owed $7.5M (easier to trade), and at the end of the season he'll expire and be up for a market deal contract and available to re-sign (at a different cap and salary number), or move in a S&T at market value (where he'll net a pick or equivalent player, or be available for use in a larger trade).

Moving Lin mid-season last year made NO sense unless they were making their team better, which would have required unloading assets (something Morey was not going to do).

Morey isn't going to clear cap space and make the roster worse without a good reason to do so, IE, to gather assets in picks/players, or to clear cap space to sign a specific player that they already have lined up to sign. While Lin is currently being paid over his current market value, you could actually get a better player by NOT moving Lin and just using those picks and other players to improve the roster than forcing a cap clearing move and having to find a replacement level player or upgrade.

In other words, if you were really going to look for a PG upgrade, you'd be better off moving Canaan or Beverley, packing picks and salary and getting a better player to replace them than trying to force a trade to equalize out Lin's contract, especially when you know that you've passed the low point of Lin's contract value.

Vinylman
06-26-2014, 06:28 PM
Um, didn't you just say the same thing about Asik and they got back a 4-19 1st rounder?

And no, moving Lin at this point without a need for the cap space is actually a bad roster move. Just as Lin's value declined as they approached the 3rd year (reducing the discount value of his first 2 years at $5M) Lin has hit his low point in value (full $15M owed) and will actually improve throughout the season.

At the mid-season he'll only be owed $7.5M (easier to trade), and at the end of the season he'll expire and be up for a market deal contract and available to re-sign (at a different cap and salary number), or move in a S&T at market value (where he'll net a pick or equivalent player, or be available for use in a larger trade).

Moving Lin mid-season last year made NO sense unless they were making their team better, which would have required unloading assets (something Morey was not going to do).

Morey isn't going to clear cap space and make the roster worse without a good reason to do so, IE, to gather assets in picks/players, or to clear cap space to sign a specific player that they already have lined up to sign. While Lin is currently being paid over his current market value, you could actually get a better player by NOT moving Lin and just using those picks and other players to improve the roster than forcing a cap clearing move and having to find a replacement level player or upgrade.

In other words, if you were really going to look for a PG upgrade, you'd be better off moving Canaan or Beverley, packing picks and salary and getting a better player to replace them than trying to force a trade to equalize out Lin's contract, especially when you know that you've passed the low point of Lin's contract value.

I agree with all of this especially your point on trading him midseason when the rockets could even ship cash off to they buyer to cover some of his contract for the balance of the year...

what do you think Houston is going to do for a back up big now that asik is gone? I agree with doing the asik trade but i definitely thinks it makes them much worse defensively on that second unit (similar to how it was before last year)...

who do you think Houston can target for that second unit?

siix
06-26-2014, 06:35 PM
not gonna happen...and no way in hell melo or lebron go to houston lmaooo....melo on the rockets will make them even worse.

torocan
06-26-2014, 06:48 PM
I agree with all of this especially your point on trading him midseason when the rockets could even ship cash off to they buyer to cover some of his contract for the balance of the year...

what do you think Houston is going to do for a back up big now that asik is gone? I agree with doing the asik trade but i definitely thinks it makes them much worse defensively on that second unit (similar to how it was before last year)...

who do you think Houston can target for that second unit?

Honestly, I have no idea. Their current line up of back up Centers isn't very good, however I think that's a low priority.

Morey has always been of the philosophy of load up assets, net the major players first, and THEN worry about the odds and ends roster pieces. 2 years ago they started the season with 5 PF's, and it wasn't until a full year later that it all began to shake out.

If I were to hazard a guess, I think that Morey either has his eye on a specific draft pick (either Rockets' pick or a trade up), or he's going to snag an under the radar D-league/international/undrafted player like Tony Bishop. Given the premium on cap room to snag a Melo/Lebron/Love type player, and the need to retain Parsons (assuming he doesn't go out on a trade), I wouldn't be shocked if he takes a few fliers for a back up 5 given the depth of his war chest.

If he doesn't snag one of Melo/Lebron/Love, I fully expect Morey to not commit to anyone expensive for the back up 5 position. He'll want to hold cap space for next year and the LMA and potentially Love sweepstakes.

Now if he does snag one of Melo/Lebron/Love, I suspect they'll use the MLE to snag a PG (Lin will be gone in that scenario), but once again I think they'll look to develop a raw big man (under McHale and Hakeem).

If he still has Donatus Montejunas on the roster, I wouldn't be surprised if they ride with him playing the 4/5 while they work on finding a more permanent solution.

beasted86
06-26-2014, 07:02 PM
Since when does being a good GM necessarily translate to postseason success? All he can do is compile the players. They have to win the games. Pat Riley isn't some genius GM. All he did was convince Lebron and Bosh to join Wade in Miami. That wasn't even probably that challenging of a job. All he has to do is sit there being Pat ****ing Riley in one of the sexiest cities in the world and ask three friends if they want to form one of the greatest trios in NBA history. The fact that they all said "yes" doesn't make him a genius. It makes him insanely fortunate.

And you ever thought about the assets Morey has had to work with when he took this team over? When he took over in 2007, Houston had two aging, oft-injured superstars on long-term, max contracts and essentially no other decent assets. When he finally got out from underneath those contracts, Houston spent three years outperforming their overall talent, because he did such a good job acquiring assets out of thin air. Then he nails it with the Harden trade and backs it up with Howard.

If you want to rip on someone for Houston only making it out of the first round once since Morey got here, blame two groups. Blame the front office who ****ed things up before Morey ever came on board and blame this current team over this last season for underachieving and not getting past Portland. Morey deserves zero blame, and that's coming from someone who has lived and breathed Rockets basketball for 20 years and has endured nearly two decades of mediocrity.

Nailed it with Howard and Harden.... first round exit with home court advantage... tried to force fit Asik and Howard to the team's detriment. Thoughts?

esscobar05
06-26-2014, 07:04 PM
I'd like to know what Lin could be traded to.

I'm holding onto him in a full team keeper league with the hopes he gets traded into a starting line up on a mid level team. :)

anyone have any guesses? Ive heard golden state and thats it.

There is no way that the Warriors would trade for Lin and his contract.. They have bigger fish to fry..

beasted86
06-26-2014, 07:07 PM
I don't think anyone said Lin and Asik were untradeable. Most people said there was no way any team would take both of them, and trading Lin especially wouldn't be easy.

I'm still waiting to see what team they might try and trade him to, and what they will have to give up.

mightybosstone
06-26-2014, 07:12 PM
Nailed it with Howard and Harden.... first round exit with home court advantage... tried to force fit Asik and Howard to the team's detriment. Thoughts?
I don't think Morey tried to force feed a Howard-Asik frontcourt. I think Dwight was the best free agent available and he know he could get him, so he went and got him. He probably hoped Asik would be okay as a backup, but knew it wouldn't work and he would ultimately have to trade him. But you have to realize that a year prior to getting Howard when he was pulling off all that poison pill crap to get Lin and Asik, he had no freaking clue he would be in a position to get Howard a year later.

Asik unfortunately was just a casualty of the business of sports.

Verbal Christ
06-26-2014, 09:41 PM
In other news .... Water is wet.

Saddletramp
06-26-2014, 10:13 PM
There is no way that the Warriors would trade for Lin and his contract.. They have bigger fish to fry..

Looks like that's the plan.

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2014/06/warriors-willing-jeremy.html

The Warriors have told the Rockets that they’re on board with trading for Jeremy Lin, reports Marcus Thompson of the Bay Area News Group. Chris Broussard of ESPN.com wrote Wednesday that there was a decent chance that Golden State would be willing to accept the point guard via trade as Houston attempts to clear his salary, as long as Chandler Parsons was also part of the deal. Thompson’s report makes no mention of Parsons, however.

Golden State could use a trade exception worth more than $9.8MM left over from last year’s three-way deal with the Jazz and Nuggets to acquire Lin, as Thompson points out. The Warriors tried in vain to find a capable backup point guard to replace Jarrett Jack this past season, and Lin was once a member of the W’s, who waived him before his sudden rise to fame with the Knicks. Still, it’s unclear just what Houston would have to do to entice Golden State to take back Lin and his nearly $15MM salary for next season, one that dwarfs his nonetheless sizable $8,374,646 cap hit.