PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Cavaliers' pursuit of Kevin Love

Dade County
06-25-2014, 10:45 PM
Today:
Cleveland's pursuit of Minnesota Timberwolves All-Star forward Kevin Love – which included a package centered on the No. 1 overall pick in Thursday's NBA draft – has sputtered because of Love's warning he'd never sign an extension with the Cavaliers, league sources told Yahoo Sports.
There was no deal structure fully in place, but the Cavaliers had been fiercely determined to secure Love in a trade package, sources said.
Cleveland was eager to build with Love and All-Star point guard Kyrie Irving
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--cavaliers--pursuit-of-minnesota-all-star-kevin-love-loses-steam-200725800.html

Today:
The Cavaliers reportedly tried to acquire Kevin Love in a deal centered around the Cavs' No. 1 pick, but Love's refusal to re-sign with Cleveland has "killed talks."
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1504/kevin-love

June 12:
Love: I try not to read it. A lot of it is brought to my attention through outside sources, sometimes twitter. But like most people, I need to be conscious of my image and try to roll with the punches. I know that’s a generic answer. I don’t think the Cleveland [trade rumors] are outlandish at all. They have a great young foundation

http://www.balloverall.com/content/kevin-love-says-cavaliers-trade-rumors-are-not-outlandish

Thoughts...?

goingfor28
06-25-2014, 10:55 PM
If he won't sign on long term why the hell would they want him?

Crackadalic
06-25-2014, 10:57 PM
I called this the day they got the 1st pick. Love has a choice of playing in the Wild West where 48 wins can't get you in the playoffs or the sucky east where getting in the playoffs is not that hard. The cavs almost made it.

KnicksorBust
Love the Cavs for trying. Its the best trade for them. With Irving and Love they could attract another star and completely turn around that franchise.

*Superman*
2nd quote says it all. No guarantee to resign = no trade.

/thread

*Silver&Black*
06-25-2014, 10:58 PM
Why would the Cavs think Love would want a trade out of Minny to go play on the Cavs? The entire point of his frustration is being on a team that can't even make the playoffs. Come on Cavs.

Dade County
06-25-2014, 11:15 PM
Love the Cavs for trying. Its the best trade for them. With Irving and Love they could attract another star and completely turn around that franchise.

(polite soft voice) No... no they can't.

(still in my polite soft voice) I'm even started to think that no matter what, if they can't get Lbj to re-sign their; they will have to trade Irving before the season even starts.

Kaner
06-25-2014, 11:16 PM
If am the Cavs I do #1 for Love if and ONLY if you've already got Lebron signed.

WITZ
06-25-2014, 11:22 PM

(still in my polite soft voice) I'm even started to think that no matter what, if they can't get Lbj to re-sign their; they will have to trade Irving before the season even starts.

And why will they have to do that :facepalm:

beasted86
06-25-2014, 11:23 PM

This!!!!

Arch Stanton
06-25-2014, 11:26 PM
The Cavs currently have a trade in place with half the teams in the NBA. So yeah...

Dade County
06-25-2014, 11:27 PM
And why will they have to do that :facepalm:

Not have too, but they are going to get a nice young player tomorrow, you don't want any negativity around your next star player.

That player will be hanging around Irving, because Irving is the star of the team right now; do I have to go on?

Why would you want your newly acquired soon to be star player, hanging around the soon to be gone star player? When everyone knows that he doesn't want to be there anymore.

Arch Stanton
06-25-2014, 11:28 PM

Yeah, they'll trade him even though they control him for at least two more years?!?!?! You're a clown!

Dade County
06-25-2014, 11:32 PM
Yeah, they'll trade him even though they control him for at least two more years?!?!?! You're a clown!

Read above you when you can :)

They can also demand more for him, by your very point.

WITZ
06-25-2014, 11:33 PM
Not have too, but they are going to get a nice young player tomorrow, you don't want any negativity around you next star player.

That player will be hanging around Irving, because Irving is the star of the team right now; do I have to go on?

Why would you want your newly acquired soon to be star player, hanging around the soon to be gone star player? When everyone knows that he doesn't want to be there anymore.

Gotta legit sources on these or you just gonna spew random stuff like its fact? Yup he wants to leave so bad that he said he was excited when we landed the 1st overall pick or saying hes excited to work with coach Blatt even though he is leaving according to you or whoever source you got this from.

Dade County
06-25-2014, 11:45 PM
Gotta legit sources on these or you just gonna spew random stuff like its fact? Yup he wants to leave so bad that he said he was excited when we landed the 1st overall pick or saying hes excited to work with coach Blatt even though he is leaving according to you or whoever source you got this from.

Every time one of these reports come out, Irving denise them. So of course you are not going to read anything with his name attached to it as fact.

But I am assuming you knew that, whats your motive here?lol

The truth is [Kyrie’s] camp has been putting out there for years – years – that he doesn’t want to be in Cleveland. That they don’t want him in Cleveland. He doesn’t like Mike Brown. He didn’t like Chris Grant. He doesn’t like Dion Waiters. He’s already gotten a General Manager fired. He might get Mike Brown fired. This is the last time – once he signs he loses all of his leverage – so this is the last time he gets to enact leverage. I know he’s said all the right things so, fine, on July 1, when they offer a max contract – which they will – and I don’t even know if he’s a max player, but you have to sign him – sign a five year, no out. That’s what a max contract is. A max contract is five years, no out. If you want out or you want three years, that’s not a max contract. You want three years? Okay, we’ll give you $12 million a year. We’re not giving you the full thing….
I think this is very elementary from Dan Gilbert’s perspective. If Kyrie wants to play for Team USA, he’s going to have to do his deal before mid-July when he goes to play for it and he’ll either take the five years or he won’t. If the answer is “no” to five years, he goes on the trade block. Period. I think it’s pretty simple.

And the other thing is: if the Cavs ever dream of having LeBron, it’s not going to be with Kyrie there. LeBron and Kyrie have drifted apart in the last few years, even to the point that if the Cavs wanted to get LeBron they would maybe trade Kyrie for someone who would fit better with LeBron. And I’m not making that up. That line of thinking was not originated by me. That’s just the truth.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/04/brian-windhorst-kyrie-irving-doesnt-want-to-be-in-cleveland-hat-should-impact-contract-extension-talks/

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2018024-report-kyrie-irving-hasnt-wanted-to-be-in-cleveland-for-years

We all have heard the rumors, of course we will never know the truth until the player is packed up and gone. What do you want me to do, ignore them all and say that Irving will be a Cav for life.

You do not want that man influencing your next star player. If they can get Lbj, all might be good.

Dade County
06-25-2014, 11:48 PM

And if I made seem like it was fact, my bad.

It's only my opinion... Because like I have stated every time one of these stories come out Irving doesn't stand behind it, but what else would he do or any NBA player.

Arch Stanton
06-25-2014, 11:50 PM
Read above you when you can :)

They can also demand more for him, by your very point.

I think you're making a lot if assumptions. There's no doubt that they've been disfunctional, but they are in a pretty good position right now. They have assets (which includes the #1 pick), a new GM (no more Chris Grant), and a newly highly touted head coach.

kingkenny01
06-25-2014, 11:51 PM
If im the cavs i hope that love doesn't get traded on draft night. I work on a trade for love involving the first pick with t-wolves which would be the best offer so far that ive seen, don't do it yet. Use this possible deal as a selling point for lebron, if lebron comes see if love will resign in Cleveland. Big three. I think love will be gone on draft night. Not sure if would work or but if minnesota want the best deal in the first pick its the smart move to wait.

WITZ
06-25-2014, 11:56 PM
And if I made seem like it was fact, my bad.

It's only my opinion... Because like I have stated every time one of these stories come out Irving doesn't stand behind it, but what else would he do or any NBA player.

At least you owned up to that and like you said its your opinion feel free to share. All i really hate is that people make the assumption its guaranteed hes gone and then thrown in pop shots of the organization. Given Irving can't sign his extension until next month i hope he gets it over with soon so it can put in end to those rumors. In that same bleacher report article even Irving sounds upset about the rumors circulating and how its making him out to look.

Dade County
06-25-2014, 11:57 PM
I think you're making a lot if assumptions.

True

There's no doubt that they've been disfunctional, but they are in a pretty good position right now. They have assets (which includes the #1 pick), a new GM (no more Chris Grant), and a newly highly touted head coach.

For the Cav's sake, lets hope that Irving can forgive and forget. But he is only human & each of us react different to past situations.

Nikeman
06-26-2014, 12:08 AM
Kevin Love is an idiot.

Him and Kyrie alone, surrounded by Waiters and Varjeo and Tristan Thompson, barring injury is a top 4 team in the East year in and year out. If Love went to Cleveland and signed long-term, they become VERY serious suitors for LBJ and then compete for a championship for the next decade with a core of LBJ 29, Love 25 and Kyrie 22.

Dade County
06-26-2014, 12:41 AM
Kevin Love is an idiot.

Him and Kyrie alone, surrounded by Waiters and Varjeo and Tristan Thompson, barring injury is a top 4 team in the East year in and year out. If Love went to Cleveland and signed long-term, they become VERY serious suitors for LBJ and then compete for a championship for the next decade with a core of LBJ 29, Love 25 and Kyrie 22.

How are you going to call a the man a idiot, just because he wants nothing to do with Cleveland (allegedly)?

Reportedly he doesn't want to play their.

Not his cup of tea.

Nikeman
06-26-2014, 12:44 AM
How are you going to call a the man a idiot, just because he wants nothing to do with Cleveland (allegedly)?

Reportedly he doesn't want to play their.

Not his cup of tea.

Because he is a selfish player, throws his teammates under the bus, messes with Minnesota's chemistry, and is turning down good situations.

He will never win, he is just a diva.

goingfor28
06-26-2014, 12:50 AM
Because he is a selfish player, throws his teammates under the bus, messes with Minnesota's chemistry, and is turning down good situations.

Pretty much this

Dade County
06-26-2014, 01:06 AM

:laugh2:... Wow!

What did he do to mess up team chemistry? I'm just asking.

That "good situation" maybe good to you, or Cav's fans or HEAT haters; but if Love doesn't want to step foot in Cleveland, I don't think anyone should really be mad at him.

Love might see another combination of players that he likes better; and also other cities that he rather be in.

And some posters put to much stock in Irving.

NYKNYGNYY
06-26-2014, 02:04 AM
Hawks really....Knicks arnt on there? Seems like they're trying to grt players to have trade pieces

Larkin +2015 first if they can trade that after this years draft
Would they take rxpireinfs... Doubt it we have no pieces Shump snd Timmy + Larkin +2015 1st Round pick and whoever we get from a s&t if we get anything

goingfor28
06-26-2014, 02:21 AM
:laugh2:... Wow!

What did he do to mess up team chemistry? I'm just asking.

That "good situation" maybe good to you, or Cav's fans or HEAT haters; but if Love doesn't want to step foot in Cleveland, I don't think anyone should really be mad at him.

Love might see another combination of players that he likes better; and also other cities that he rather be in.

And some posters put to much stock in Irving.
Heat*

ottograham14
06-26-2014, 07:30 AM
Kevin Love wants to be on the WC. I think that much is obvious by now and he will get there next year when he will opt out of the contract with any team he is on. Also think he wants to be wooed and why he wants to get to FA. He wants his name bigger than it should be right now and wants teams coming to him IMO.

I don't even think if Lebron re-signed with the Cavs (Dont think will happen) that it would keep Kevin Love in Cleveland if he was moved there in a trade this offseason. This is my opinion but it just doesn't seem to me that Kevin Love cares about Ships that much and would much rather just be in a comfortable city of his liking than Ships. Thats probably just me though but I think he badly wants to be home on the WC more than winning. He will try getting to one of the LA's, GS or Portland IMO next year. Maybe he cares enough about winning not to go to SacTown though.

As a Cavs fan though I love the fact that they are trying to get a player of Love's caliber. And then I love the fact that they are not going to feel any pressure and move the #1 pick for Love.

If I am Cleveland I am taking Wiggins tonight and then I am waiting till Lebron can talk to teams July 1st (Again don't think he re-signs but I believe he will sit down with the team and hear what they have to say) and then asking him if they get Kevin Love even for this year if that would entice him to come back. If it would then I am calling Minny and trying to offer the abundance of 1st round picks they have in the future (3 possibly next year) Dion Waiters, Thompson and Varajeo & seeing if that could get something done. I wouldn't mind moving those assets for a 1 year rental of Love if that is what a certain FA would want while still keeping Wiggins and KI.

Goose17
06-26-2014, 07:36 AM
If he won't sign on long term why the hell would they want him?

This^

KnicksorBust
06-26-2014, 07:54 AM

Yeah that polite soft voice thing is weird... :laugh: Maybe you're going for some type of intervention humor but me supporting the Cavs isn't the right scenario for the joke. Perhaps if I said the Knicks had a shot at Melo and Kevin Love? That would have worked.

In regards to your opinion that is different from my opinion, I would just question you about two simple things:

#1.) If the Cavs did make the deal for Kevin Love, do you think that they would make the playoffs and have a shot at winning a playoff series?

If the answer is no, then we just wildly disagree and we can end our discussion.
If the answer is yes, then...

#2.) When was the last time you saw teammates of ages 22 (Irving) and 25 (Love) have a successful season together and then decide to just leave?

These are not perfect examples but tandems like Durant-Westbrook, Rose-Noah, Aldridge-Lillard, Curry-Klay, George-Hibbert, Conley-Gasol, Wall-Beal indicate to me that if you give a young talented player a good reason to stay, they will stay. It's situations like Kobe in the mid 2000s, LeBron with the Cavs, Melo with the current Knicks that make star players want to leave.

I'm not sure I agree with any of this. He's one of the best passing bigs in the league and not even close to leading the league in usage or shot attempts. If anything his teammates throw him under the bus... http://fansided.com/2014/05/18/ricky-rubio-says-kevin-love-shouldnt-minnesota-timberwolves-leader/#!4eHRy

In regards to turning down a good situation, while I agree that he works well with Kyrie Irving, if I was Kevin Love and knew I had a shot at going to Golden State then I would definitely hesitate about committing to The Cavs long-term. That is the perfect situation for him (The Warriors).

prodigy
06-26-2014, 08:21 AM
Cleveland needs to build a bunch of strip clubs, then These athletes will wanna play here.

Dade County
06-26-2014, 12:42 PM
Yeah that polite soft voice thing is weird... :laugh: Maybe you're going for some type of intervention humor but me supporting the Cavs isn't the right scenario for the joke. Perhaps if I said the Knicks had a shot at Melo and Kevin Love? That would have worked.

In regards to your opinion that is different from my opinion, I would just question you about two simple things:

#1.) If the Cavs did make the deal for Kevin Love, do you think that they would make the playoffs and have a shot at winning a playoff series?

If the answer is no, then we just wildly disagree and we can end our discussion.
If the answer is yes, then...

Yes, they would make the playoffs & finish around the the 5th or 6 spot. I don't know if they would win there 1st playoff series together.

#2.) When was the last time you saw teammates of ages 22 (Irving) and 25 (Love) have a successful season together and then decide to just leave?

These are not perfect examples but tandems like Durant-Westbrook, Rose-Noah, Aldridge-Lillard, Curry-Klay, George-Hibbert, Conley-Gasol, Wall-Beal indicate to me that if you give a young talented player a good reason to stay, they will stay. It's situations like Kobe in the mid 2000s, LeBron with the Cavs, Melo with the current Knicks that make star players want to leave.

You are not factoring in that Irving might be fed up already, and has professionally mentally checked out (meaning saying all the right things). Yes they got a new coach and GM, but it might be too late.

Only time will tell.

(Reportedly).. These guys don't want to be (Irving) or go to Cleveland (Love); I think the only person that can change their mind would be Lbj.

And one little thing to point out about your star players sticking together, most of those guys had there partners right at the beginning of their career.

prodigy
06-26-2014, 02:53 PM
Irving still has a lot of room to grow, by know means was he Mr. Perfect last season.

Hawkeye15
06-26-2014, 04:19 PM
as a Wolves fan, I would love to get the #1 pick for Love. 7 years of Wiggins or Parker are just fine with me.

KnicksorBust
06-26-2014, 05:12 PM
Yes, they would make the playoffs & finish around the the 5th or 6 spot. I don't know if they would win there 1st playoff series together.

You are not factoring in that Irving might be fed up already, and has professionally mentally checked out (meaning saying all the right things). Yes they got a new coach and GM, but it might be too late.

Only time will tell.

(Reportedly).. These guys don't want to be (Irving) or go to Cleveland (Love); I think the only person that can change their mind would be Lbj.

And one little thing to point out about your star players sticking together, most of those guys had there partners right at the beginning of their career.

So ironic that you would say the 5th seed because who was the 5th seed in the Western Conference this year? Portland. Who had a disgruntled star player ready to leave around a year ago? Portland again!

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2013/06/blazers_insider_although_lamar.html

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/27/report-lamarcus-aldridge-is-unhappy-wants-out-of-portland/

What changed his mind? Winning. Kevin Love is sick of losing. If his choices are Minnesota and another season without making the playoffs in a stacked West or a +.500 season with a young stud PG like Irving in a weak East where you could go on a run... who wouldn't pick Cleveland in that scenario? With Kevin Love the Cavs would have their best season since LeBron left. It could also potentially entice another star player to join them in Cleveland. This is why even if Love doesn't agree I still think you take the shot on him. He changes the whole franchise complexion over night and I would trust that the success of the team would convince my two star players they should stay together.

Dade County
06-26-2014, 05:39 PM
So ironic that you would say the 5th seed because who was the 5th seed in the Western Conference this year? Portland. Who had a disgruntled star player ready to leave around a year ago? Portland again!

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2013/06/blazers_insider_although_lamar.html

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/27/report-lamarcus-aldridge-is-unhappy-wants-out-of-portland/

In order for me to talk about this, i would have to go into one of my conspiracy tips. I don't want too lol

What changed his mind? Winning. Kevin Love is sick of losing. If his choices are Minnesota and another season without making the playoffs in a stacked West or a +.500 season with a young stud PG like Irving in a weak East where you could go on a run... who wouldn't pick Cleveland in that scenario?

But that doesn't mean he will re-sign their. He will just play out his contract and bounce (maybe).

With Kevin Love the Cavs would have their best season since LeBron left. It could also potentially entice another star player to join them in Cleveland.

No ones going to Cleveland willing ...lmao (my opinion only) lol

This is why even if Love doesn't agree I still think you take the shot on him. He changes the whole franchise complexion over night and I would trust that the success of the team would convince my two star players they should stay together.

I would half way agree, if that franchise wasn't in Cleveland; and if Love didn't just come from the Wolves. He doesn't want those types of cities anymore, he's looking for a big city with bright lights.

I don't think you are factoring that in... Love is still young.

I thought about this yesterday, I believe if they do pull the trigger and Lbj doesn't go their; both Love & Irving will leave anyway; and that would just crush the fan base of the Cav's (my opinion only).

NBA_Starter
06-26-2014, 05:47 PM
Now that would give Bron something to think about.

Arch Stanton
06-26-2014, 09:08 PM
@******: RT @Chris_Broussard: Source who spoke with KLove says he would definitely "100 pct" stay in Cleveland longterm if LeBron is there

J4KOP99
06-26-2014, 09:10 PM
Well no ****... What ****ing idiot would leave a team that has Lebron?

Arch Stanton
06-26-2014, 09:25 PM

Sources!!!

Cal827
06-26-2014, 09:31 PM

Carlos Boozer :D

KingstonHawke
06-26-2014, 09:47 PM
I picked "other" because I think the Wolves are idiots and don't trade him like they should. The Cavs were the perfect destination for him, so for it to not have happened already. I don't think it will.

Dade County
06-26-2014, 10:09 PM
Love better get traded...If the Wolves are that Crazy to hold him.

PurpleJesus
06-27-2014, 02:35 AM
I picked "other" because I think the Wolves are idiots and don't trade him like they should. The Cavs were the perfect destination for him, so for it to not have happened already. I don't think it will.

The Cavs are the perfect situation, but Love squashed that deal by saying he wouldnt resign there. Now the rumor is, he will resign, if the Cavs get LeBron. So I mean, Im not sure how the Wolves are idiots for not trading him there, when they couldnt. Also, the best rumored offer the Wolves had on the table, was Love to the Bulls for picks 16 and 19, as well as some mediocre players. Bulls basically used that same offer to get McDermott. Were the Wolves supposed to take that deal? was it dumb they didnt?

PurpleJesus
06-27-2014, 02:39 AM
I'm not sure I see Lebron going to Cleveland. It makes the most sense for him, but with the way Gilbert treated him after he skipped town, as well as the fans...I could see LeBron's ego wanting to send a big F U to Cleveland and Gilbert.
A lot of bridges were burned when LeBron left, LeBron treated Cleveland like crap by going on national TV and leaving them, and after that, Gilbert added fuel to the fire. Those two will have a lot to work out personally, if he is to resign there.