PDA

View Full Version : Golden State Warriors might be renamed back to "San Francisco Warriors"

asandhu23
06-25-2014, 03:11 PM
At one point in time, between 1962 and 1971, the San Francisco Warriors ruled the Bay Area in basketball. The Warriors are now likely to go back to that name in time for the moving of their arena from Oakland to San Francisco. The Warriors are focusing on a site in Mission Bay, in hopes of moving to a new arena by 2017 or 2018. The name change came about because of the move, and there are also new logos released that the team is interested in.

So what does changing the name mean? To some, it means a lot. Everything the Warriors stand for to a person and everything they remember is linked to Golden State. To others, it's not a big deal. Sometimes there needs to be a refreshing plan that changes your team. In this case, changing of the name is a blessing because it means the team is moving to San Francisco. What we have learned is that San Francisco handles moving well, whether it it is the Giants moving to AT&T Park or more recently the 49ers moving out of Candlestick. The move to San Fran has a lot of positive things to it.

The new stadium will make the Warriors one of the most valuable stadiums in the league, and being located in the heart of San Francisco is a huge plus for fan appreciation. The Warriors have already had great fans over the years, but judging by the fans supporting the local Giants and 49ers, one can come to the concusion that the Warriors will be supported heavily in San Francisco.

The name switch isn't a dramatic one. Even though the Warriors were located in Oakland, they were still the Golden State Warriors and have a Golden Gate Bridge on the logo. Changing the name helps bring a new team to San Fran. It's like hitting a refresh button on a team which seems to be a good move. The Warriors fanbase is a supportive one in any direction the team may go.

http://www.vavel.com/en-us/nba/362992-golden-state-warriors-to-san-francisco-warriors.html

Well, the civil war between Bay Area Warriors fans already started when the Lacobs bought land in San Francisco.

benzni
06-25-2014, 03:21 PM
I always liked their name. I hope they keep it "Golden State"

kobe4thewinbang
06-25-2014, 03:27 PM
"Golden State" doesn't make sense when there are three other teams based in California.
They should rename them the "Oakland" or "San Francisco" Warriors.
I think the arena is in Oakland, right? Why would they be called San Francisco?

koreancabbage
06-25-2014, 03:29 PM
"Golden State" doesn't make sense when there are three other teams based in California.

they are moving to San Fran if I'm not mistaken.

kobe4thewinbang
06-25-2014, 03:30 PM
they are moving to San Fran if I'm not mistaken.Perfect, then! Maybe they could make a new logo with a trolley or something.

asandhu23
06-25-2014, 03:43 PM
Perfect, then! Maybe they could make a new logo with a trolley or something.

no... that was our jersey in the 70s. http://www.michael-weinstein.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/B000L95MQW.01-AT26F6GZJEB06._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The bay bridge connects SF and Oakland so the current jersey can stay.

moshy2
06-25-2014, 04:04 PM
I'd prefer to keep it Golden State but I wouldn't be against changing it. I just want the new arena

kobe4thewinbang
06-25-2014, 04:37 PM
no... that was our jersey in the 70s. http://www.michael-weinstein.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/B000L95MQW.01-AT26F6GZJEB06._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The bay bridge connects SF and Oakland so the current jersey can stay.Ha, that's cool! Did not know they actually had a trolley. I guess the bridge makes sense. Sorry for my ignorance, just don't know the area.

benzni
06-26-2014, 12:50 AM

The bay bridge connects SF and Oakland so the current jersey can stay.

That is my all time favorite jersey design.

Goose17
06-26-2014, 03:07 AM
Old news. This story was originally reported in April nothing has changed.

JNA17
06-26-2014, 03:16 AM
Keep it Golden State. It sounds better than San Francisco Warriors IMO.

MonroeFAN
06-26-2014, 05:52 AM
They should go to with San Francisco Knights if they change it to SF.

RLundi
06-26-2014, 07:40 AM
I've never liked monikers like Golden State, I've always thought it sounded a little tacky for some reason. I'd welcome San Francisco Warriors, it adds a sense of solidarity and completeness.

goingfor28
06-26-2014, 08:08 AM
Bc they're moving

JLynn943
06-26-2014, 09:31 AM
Golden State sounds better imo, and it still makes sense

asandhu23
06-26-2014, 11:17 AM
They should go to with San Francisco Knights if they change it to SF.

uh no.

asandhu23
06-26-2014, 11:18 AM
Old news. This story was originally reported in April nothing has changed.

Check the leaked alternate logo in the link.

Goose17
06-26-2014, 12:39 PM
Check the leaked alternate logo in the link.

Yeah but that's not official. And they haven't decided if they're changing the name. There's nothing worth discussing here, not until something is made official.

At one point, these logos were leaked...

http://chudsondesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/NEW-ORLEANS-KREWE-CONCEPT-ID1.jpg