PDA

View Full Version : 7th Annual PSD Player Rankings #3 PG In The NBA? (Volume: VII)

Mile High Champ
06-25-2014, 11:38 AM
Hey guys, It is that time of year again! Once again we kick of the PSD NBA Off-Season Player Rankings. This is the 7th year I have done this on PSD and it typically always makes for good deabte and often initates terrific discussion. Consider that when these polls first began, the likes of Baron Davis and Devin Harris were cracking these polls. Which player will you rank high this year that may get some raised eyebrows as the years pass by? Only time will tell. Please keep things civil and discuss who you feel is most fitting and deserving of being voted in each poll.

A lot has changed since last season. Tim Duncan and the San Antonio Spurs are NBA champions for the 5th time after getting some revenge for their finals loss last season to the Heat. We could be looking at the end of the big 3 era.

Let start the discussion since lots has changed since the start of last season. Please TRY AND VOTE FOR THE BEST PLAYER AND DON'T BE A HOMER. I will leave the poll open for one day and than we can carry on to the next best player at that position. I will add more players after each round. I have also included the results of those last 6 years so everyone can see how much things have changed...Enjoy.

For a player to be eligible for this years poll, they must of played in a minimum of 10 games.

REMEMBER this is based on who is the best player, not the player who has the potential to be the best. Though we do recognize that some voters will vote based soley on potential and others by last years numbers.

1) Chris Paul
2) Russel Westbrook
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

2013 Off-Season PSD PG Rankings
1) Chris Paul
2) Tony Parker
3) Russel Westbrook
4) Stephen Curry
5) Kyrie Irving
6) Deron Williams
7) Rajon Rondo
8) Mike Conley
9) John Wall
10) Ty Lawson

2012 Off-Season PSD PG Rankings
1) Chris Paul
2) Derrick Rose
3) Russell Westbrook
4) Deron Williams
5) Rajon Rondo
6) Tony Parker
7) Steve Nash
8) Kyrie Irving
9) Kyle Lowry
10) Ty Lawson

2011 Off-Season PSD PG Rankings
1) Chris Paul
2) Derrick Rose
3) Deron Williams
4) Russell Westbrook
5) Steve Nash
6) Rajon Rondo
7) Tony Parker
8) Jason Kidd
9) Chauncey Billups
10) Stephen Curry

2010 Off-Season PSD PG Rankings
1) Deron Williams
2) Chris Paul
3) Steve Nash
4) Rajon Rondo
5) Derrick Rose
6) Chauncey Billups
7) Russel Westbrook
8) Tony Parker
9) Jason Kidd
10) Tyreke Evans

2009 Off-Season PSD PG Rankings
1) Chris Paul
2) Deron Williams
3) Chauncey Billups
4) Tony Parker
5) Steve Nash
6) Derrick Rose
7) Devin Harris
8) Rajon Rondo
9) Jose Calderon
10) Jason Kidd

2008 Off-Season PSD PG Rankings
1) Chris Paul
2) Steve Nash
3) Deron Williams
4) Baron Davis
5) Tony Parker
6) Jason Kidd
7) Chauncey Billups
8) Gilbert Arenas
9) Jose Calderon
10) Andre Miller

Mile High Champ
06-25-2014, 11:46 AM
Sorry for the delay. Was away for a few days. Get those votes in!

Greet
06-25-2014, 11:47 AM
Once again my vote will go towards Tony Parker. I'm going to be upset if Curry gets a win over him.

ManRam
06-25-2014, 11:59 AM
Steph Curry, clearly.

Mile High Champ
06-25-2014, 12:00 PM
Mods please sticky!

bucketss
06-25-2014, 12:16 PM
Once again my vote will go towards Tony Parker. I'm going to be upset if Curry gets a win over him.

stephen is gonna win the poll most likely.

xxplayerxx23
06-25-2014, 12:22 PM
Curry

ManningToTyree
06-25-2014, 12:37 PM
Curry

unleashthebeast
06-25-2014, 01:16 PM
Pretty close one here between Curry and Parker. I'll withhold my vote until I hear some arguments

tredigs
06-25-2014, 01:27 PM
^Well, on one hand you have TP, who is a more controlled point guard that showed us this season that similar to his younger years he has no issues taking a back seat to his teammates for large stretches or entire games and simply being a cog in the Spurs machine. A testament to his championship-winning nature. On the other hand you have Curry, who is better and more impactful than TP at virtually all aspects at this point; just a far more potent offensive weapon. Statistically, they aren't comparable.

Minimal
06-25-2014, 01:43 PM
Curry

NYKNYGNYY
06-25-2014, 01:51 PM
Hey where's Felton ?!?!?hahahaha

BklynKnicks3
06-25-2014, 02:13 PM
Curry easily

FYL_McVeezy
06-25-2014, 02:44 PM
The correct answer is Tony Parker (should have been #2) but Curry will win the poll.....

ManRam
06-25-2014, 02:46 PM
The correct answer is Tony Parker (should have been #2) but Curry will win the poll.....

Why is it correct? Because he happens to play on a better team? It certainly isn't because he had a better individual season, right?

Sadds The Gr8
06-25-2014, 02:51 PM
Easily curry. Parker had his worst season in 3-4 years, and wasn't that good in the playoffs. Don't bring the ring bs....

bgdreton
06-25-2014, 03:01 PM
Curry and it's not close. He had a arguement for number 2. He numbers far exceed anyone else at this point from the past year.

Bruno
06-25-2014, 06:47 PM
Curry.

Parkers numbers fell off a cliff this year. luckily for him everyone is forgetting that because his team dominated the finals.

jerellh528
06-25-2014, 08:27 PM
Curry, but was tempted by Parker and lillard

mightybosstone
06-25-2014, 10:38 PM
I'm glad to see the right guy winning this poll. After seeing some posters prop up Tony Parker in the last thread, I thought he might actually win this. Curry is unquestionably a better player at this point in their careers and is statistically a better player today than Parker ever was at any point in his career. I love Tony Parker's game and the guy will undoubtedly be a Hall of Famer one day, but Steph Curry is already in the top 5 discussion and will probably be in that discussion for the better part of a decade.

Greet
06-25-2014, 10:43 PM
I'm glad to see the right guy winning this poll. After seeing some posters prop up Tony Parker in the last thread, I thought he might actually win this. Curry is unquestionably a better player at this point in their careers and is statistically a better player today than Parker ever was at any point in his career. I love Tony Parker's game and the guy will undoubtedly be a Hall of Famer one day, but Steph Curry is already in the top 5 discussion and will probably be in that discussion for the better part of a decade.

I know you said statistically, but do you think Curry is a better player now than Parker has ever been?

Allphakenny1
06-25-2014, 11:02 PM
^ yes!!!

bgdreton
06-25-2014, 11:27 PM
I know you said statistically, but do you think Curry is a better player now than Parker has ever been?

I'll answer for him Yes absolustely. Last year Currys PER, TS%, per 36 were all higher than Parker's ever was. Parker's 2005-2006 campaign was close but with less points and assist per game. Plus he was playing along side a young Timmy in his prime and in Pops system. Where as Curry really had no system and created most of everything through his own creativity last year. It's pretty cut and dry honestly nothing against Parker he is nice but Currys last year was excellent.

thenaj17
06-26-2014, 06:43 AM

That's the beef i have with some stats. Tony Parker is not given free licence to chuck up 18 shots a game, 8 3's a game and his minutes are managed. Stats are not in context of what is asked of a player. I'm not saying Parker is better without argument but the per 36 stats aren't even that much different considering the difference in work load

Another perfect example is Chris Bosh. Most people are putting him down because he now has less opportunity to put up big stats. The team is run through LeBron and rightly so. Bosh would still put up 20/10 easily as 1st option and the same applies to Parker

koreancabbage
06-26-2014, 11:32 AM

na, not anymore.

ManRam
06-26-2014, 12:32 PM
Considering he had a down year, the only way Parker would be worthy of votes here, let alone a win, is if he proved to be more valuable to his team in the playoffs than he was. The team showed multiple times that they don't miss a beat with him on the bench. In fact, the team was better throughout the playoffs with him on the bench (+14 points per 100 possessions) than on the court (+8 per 100). If team success is the reason people are considering voting for you, well, you have to at least prove to be more valuable than that. Especially if your individual play/numbers are so so so far behind the competition.

Bruno
06-26-2014, 01:42 PM
Considering he had a down year, the only way Parker would be worthy of votes here, let alone a win, is if he proved to be more valuable to his team in the playoffs than he was. The team showed multiple times that they don't miss a beat with him on the bench. In fact, the team was better throughout the playoffs with him on the bench (+14 points per 100 possessions) than on the court (+8 per 100). If team success is the reason people are considering voting for you, well, you have to at least prove to be more valuable than that. Especially if your individual play/numbers are so so so far behind the competition.

when i was looking at parkers numbers from the post-season I noticed he was second to last on the entire spurs team in WS/48. weird.

Bruno
06-26-2014, 01:43 PM
its hard with parker. some years his advanced line appears dominant, some years it looks mediocre. to the eye, he always looks like the same tony parker, but they numbers suggest otherwise.

akia83
06-26-2014, 03:27 PM
Curry, then Parker, then it's interesting :)

Kashmir13579
06-26-2014, 03:56 PM
Parker easy

Bruno
06-26-2014, 04:52 PM
Ty Lawson is coming off a good season and might be the last legitimate PG who should be an option. off the top of my head I think he's the last guy were missing.

bgdreton
06-26-2014, 05:16 PM
That's the beef i have with some stats. Tony Parker is not given free licence to chuck up 18 shots a game, 8 3's a game and his minutes are managed. Stats are not in context of what is asked of a player. I'm not saying Parker is better without argument but the per 36 stats aren't even that much different considering the difference in work load

Another perfect example is Chris Bosh. Most people are putting him down because he now has less opportunity to put up big stats. The team is run through LeBron and rightly so. Bosh would still put up 20/10 easily as 1st option and the same applies to Parker

Even without a system and so called chucking up all those shots he still had better TS percentage. So I could imagine if he was in pops system that his TS might actually go up. Since the Spurs system almost always gets a wide open shot.

bgdreton
06-26-2014, 05:18 PM
Parker easy

Lmao haha your a joke

Cruey
06-29-2014, 11:49 AM
Best PG is Westbrook. Period. Personally I'd prefer Lillard over Curry. My top 5 would be: 1) Westbrook 2) Paul 3) Lillard 4) Curry 5) Parker