PDA

View Full Version : Is Nowitzki underrated?

Chrisclover
06-24-2014, 08:09 PM
We hear the praises for Duncan all the time but not so much for Nowitzki.
People say Duncan is loyal, consistent and is willing to sacrifice for his team. These can be said about Nowitzki, too. And one more--they are the leader in their respective team from Day 1. Both of them will become HOFers.
For me, they are alike and the biggest differences between them are:
1.Nowitzki has 1 ring, whereas Duncan has 5.(they both beat Heat)
2.The coach for the Mavs has been changed for several times and none of them is comparable to Spurs' Pop.

Yes, Duncan has more accolades but it has a lot to do with Pop,isn't it?
Do you think Nowitzki gets underrated?

IndyRealist
06-24-2014, 09:41 PM
Rick Carlisle is a brilliant coach. I think he consistently does more with less than any other coach in the league.

When Dirk won a title, people said sure fire HOFer. Now I think he's a bit underrated because his team is transitioning around him, but because he's the big name he's expected to carry a team full of journeymen.

jerellh528
06-24-2014, 09:47 PM
Nah, if anything I'd say he's overrated. Especially if you're comparing him to Duncan right now.

flea
06-24-2014, 09:57 PM
Dirk's D sometimes get underrated around here. Other than that, I think he's rated pretty fairly.

NBA_Starter
06-24-2014, 10:02 PM
He is rated fairly or overrated but definitely not underrated.

AIverson
06-24-2014, 10:10 PM
Nah, if anything I'd say he's overrated. Especially if you're comparing him to Duncan right now.

Personally I think he is flat out better than Duncan from watching them over the years. Why would you say Duncan is better, the 5 rings?

TheNumber37
06-24-2014, 10:15 PM
He's slightly underraed. MVP, Finals MVP...

He's the most unguardable player at his position of all time. And that includes Malone and Barkley

a 7 footer who can shoot like that... he changed the game as a championship winning stretch/high block iso 4

Thumper 88
06-24-2014, 10:48 PM
Please explain

Thumper 88
06-24-2014, 10:49 PM
He is rated fairly or overrated but definitely not underrated.

Why do you think he is rated fairly or overrated?

goingfor28
06-24-2014, 10:56 PM
Dirk is beautiful to watch when he gets going.

Chrisclover
06-24-2014, 11:03 PM

His off-balanced shots are kind of creepy since it looks like Nowitzki is forcing too much shots.
Kobe said they were not as beautiful as his. lol.
For me, Nowitzki is as special as a high-tech robot, who defies the human's defense and looks unnatural.

Mr.B
06-25-2014, 12:14 AM
I don't know if I would say that Dirk is underrated as much as he is underappreciated. The fans in Dallas obviously appreciate Dirk. Especially those of us that have been fans since the beginning. Around the country though I don't think people see the beauty in the way he plays. They haven't seen the way his game has changed over the years and all the hard work he puts in to it.

Since he got his title though its clear that he gets tons of respect and people know he's good but if they really watched him play on a regular basis they would realize that they are watching one of the best players to ever play the game of basketball. They would see what a rare talent he is.

Sadds The Gr8
06-25-2014, 12:23 AM
what? people said the same things about dirk 3 yrs ago when he won. duncan is getting these praises because he won, otherwise people would be calling him underrated too. nobody is gonna rave about Dirk if he didn't just win a title. it's just a spur of the moment (no pun intended)...

FlashBolt
06-25-2014, 12:24 AM
Greatest Euro player and a lock for top 5 PF - which says a lot considering Garnett, Karl Malone, Tim Duncan, and Charles.

Purch
06-25-2014, 12:27 AM
What do you mean underrated? He's a top 5 Pf to ever play this game, but obviously he can't compete with Duncan who has continued to cement himself further as the best power foward to ever play the game. Thats not a knock on Dirk.

JEDean89
06-25-2014, 01:05 AM
i think if the mavs did a better job putting talent around him, he would be in the debate for best PF of all time. hard to say that without the hardware though.

Hellcrooner
06-25-2014, 01:05 AM
seriously OVER rated.

gatkins11
06-25-2014, 01:09 AM
seriously OVER rated.

lol

Thumper 88
06-25-2014, 08:10 AM

You're beautiful to watch!

Thumper 88
06-25-2014, 08:10 AM
lol

What ^said

Purch
06-25-2014, 08:21 AM
Dirk, Barkley, Kg and Malone all have cases for that #2 spot at the power foward position imo

Thumper 88
06-25-2014, 10:18 AM
Dirk, Barkley, Kg and Malone all have cases for that #2 spot at the power foward position imo

I agree 100%

Dirk if he stays healthy will have a good chance to get in the top 5 all time scoring

Mr.B
06-25-2014, 10:19 AM
i think if the mavs did a better job putting talent around him, he would be in the debate for best PF of all time. hard to say that without the hardware though.

Without the hardware? Exactly what hardware are you referring to? NBA title? All Star appearances? League MVP? Finals MVP? Top 10 in scoring All Time?

I do agree about the Mavs needing to put better talent around him though. They seem to have done that this past year though and if they can find them a good defensive center they could make a deep run in the playoffs.

Chrisclover
06-25-2014, 11:16 AM
Interesting enough, the 2011Mavs and 2014Spurs, who both beat the superstars -stacked Heat, are both old teams whose backup squads are deep.

Thumper 88
06-25-2014, 12:01 PM
When is the last time a team won with just one star player before 2011 Mavs?

kdspurman
06-25-2014, 12:13 PM
When is the last time a team won with just one star player before 2011 Mavs?

Probably 03 with Duncan or one of Hakeem's teams. Pistons in 04, but they were built differently.

kdspurman
06-25-2014, 12:15 PM

I don't think he was a strong enough 2 way player even if he did have the hardware IMO. He is obviously one of the best shooters ever, and incredibly tough to guard. I just think it was the other end that was his weakness. He isn't horrible defensively, but he wasn't an elite defender

Stinkyoutsider
06-25-2014, 12:25 PM
I think Dirk is rated fairly for the most part but slightly underappreciated. Contributed a lot to the play style "stretch 4".

You look at the league and I see a bunch of players who've studied and try to emulate his game. I remember Durant using the one leg fadeaway that Dirk made famous for a time.

I really like how his game has evolved. Came into the league as a gunner and was smart enough to take his game to the post after a while. With his shooting touch and technique, he became unstoppable on the post. And, unlike traditional bigs, he's a great foul shooter so the defense is punished if they foul.

Thumper 88
06-25-2014, 12:40 PM
Probably 03 with Duncan or one of Hakeem's teams. Pistons in 04, but they were built differently.
I thought Hakeem got Clyde in 94?

kdspurman
06-25-2014, 12:48 PM
I thought Hakeem got Clyde in 94?

I think they got him for their 2nd run in 95, I don't think he was there in 94.

Spanklin
06-25-2014, 01:00 PM
Dirk has always had to carry way more weight on his shoulders than Timmy ever has. The responses in this thread go to show that the vast majority of fans cannot see past championship rings.

Mr.B
06-25-2014, 02:21 PM
I think they got him for their 2nd run in 95, I don't think he was there in 94.

Clyde was there for both of Houston's title runs. He was past his prime by the time he got there though. He was about the same
Point in his career as Ray Allen was when he got to Boston. That team also had a young Robert Horry and Sam Cassell.

bgdreton
06-25-2014, 02:51 PM
Offensively great but his defense leaves a lot to be desired. If he even played avg D he could be considered top 2 maybe. He might light somebody up for 30 for sure but how much would the other PF have? Or how many open shots would the other team have bc he physically can't guard? If all things are equal can a player affect the game without shooting well? That's my tie breaker... Other than that he is a monster.

Thumper 88
06-25-2014, 03:44 PM
I would say his D is avg and his offensive brilliance more than enough makes up for it.

kdspurman
06-25-2014, 03:52 PM
Clyde was there for both of Houston's title runs. He was past his prime by the time he got there though. He was about the same
Point in his career as Ray Allen was when he got to Boston. That team also had a young Robert Horry and Sam Cassell.

Ah, ok. Thanks for clarifying. But yea, definitely was not the same player at that time.

kdspurman
06-25-2014, 03:53 PM
Dirk has always had to carry way more weight on his shoulders than Timmy ever has. The responses in this thread go to show that the vast majority of fans cannot see past championship rings.

I love Dirk, but I don't think it has anything to do with championship rings here.

Purch
06-25-2014, 04:37 PM

If anyone is stuck in their way of thinking its you. You have this player comparison mentality that just because people put Timmy as the greatest power foward, that somehow Thats a knock on Dirk. No one in this thread once claimed that Dirk had as much help as Timmy. However, we can't simply ignore that fact that he's had a career comparable to a guy like Kareem, in terms of success and longevity and playoff records.

In no way is that a knock on Dirk. Thats like saying that people can't look past championships if they put Kareem over Shaq or something.

To make things worse I don't think there was a single season in which Dirk was as good as 03 Timmy

Mr.B
06-25-2014, 04:56 PM
Dirk has been by far my favorite player and he's a first ballot hall of Famer and is a top 5 All Time PF in my book but if I had a choice of Dirk in his prime or Duncan in his prime I would take Duncan.

Purch
06-26-2014, 07:52 AM
Exactly, to compliment Td, isn't the same as saying Dirk sucks

Chronz
06-26-2014, 11:16 AM
Clyde was there for both of Houston's title runs.
Not the first one sir.

He was past his prime by the time he got there though.
Maybe slightly but dont undersell his ridiculous efficiency levels. He fell off a cliff shortly thereafter tho.

Mr.B
06-26-2014, 11:31 AM
Not the first one sir.

Maybe slightly but dont undersell his ridiculous efficiency levels. He fell off a cliff shortly thereafter tho.

You're right he wasn't there until the second one. Houston should have kept that team together after they won their second title.