PDA

View Full Version : ELI5: Why is Marcus Smart so high on mock draft boards?

JasonJohnHorn
06-24-2014, 11:37 AM
I don't watch a lot of college ball, but I've noticed that Marcus Smart is high on a lot of draft boards, usually top 5 or 6 and sometimes as high as 3rd.

I'm looking at his numbers (which obviously don't tell the whole story), and all I see his a trigger happy point guard who thinks he can shoot threes (6.5 times a game) but can't hit them (only .299 from beyond the arc).

His steals are high, and his 2pt% is high, but his assists are low for a point guard and his assist-to-turnover ratio is nothing to sing about.

Is this guy just an amazing defender or something?

EDIT "ELI5" means "explain like I'm five", and is means that the person asking the question freely and openly admits that they are lacking an understanding and are soliciting the opinions of people who might know better. I am not suggesting that the guy in question be ranked higher or lower, just asking why he is ranked where he is. I don't watch a lot of college ball, so I don't pretend to be an expert. Smart @$$ comments saying that "I don't know what I'm talking about because I don't watch college ball" only show that you are trying to be a smart @$$ and point out something I make very clearly when posing the question. Thank you to those who have filled me in with constructive comments. It is appreciated.

goingfor28
06-24-2014, 11:38 AM
Bc he is good

ManRam
06-24-2014, 11:53 AM
There are a lot of problems with just going on college stats, for a variety of reasons. I tend to not even look at college stats when I'm picking prospects I like. They just mean so little. These guys are so far ahead of their primes that it just doesn't matter. But, if you do care, the advanced stats do love Smart. http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2014/story/_/id/11102133/nba-draft-marcus-smart-tops-kevin-pelton-prospect-projection-rankings

The correlation between college statistical success and NBA prowess has to be incredibly insignificant. The games are just so different and the guys are just so young. I mean, Smart is a PG, but in college PGs kinda play a different brand of ball. He has to score more. He has to shoot more. He's never been labeled as a selfish player, or anything other than a really good passer with really good vision. He just had to take initiative a lot because his team often really struggled. Too trigger happy from three? Yeah, probably. But that's the biggest chink in his armor.

4.8 assists isn't necessarily "low" either for a PG in college. That's more than guys like Craft, Russ Smith, Appling and other PGs on great teams. Ennis, who's considered a "true PG" put up 5.6 assists a game playing almost 3 more minutes a game. College PGs rarely just rack up the assists unless they are truly scoring-deficient.

He is projected to be a very strong defender. He's tenacious and has the size. He's a big guy with a long wingspan. He's got the toughness and the quickness to defend on an NBA level. He's an intangible master.

Yes, he's a poor outside shooter, but sometimes that improves...and sometimes it doesn't matter.

I don't know....if you haven't watched the guy just going based on stats is a really poor way to go about it. The guy is ferocious. He's great at attacking the rim and drawing contact, which is a hugely important skill to have.

And ask Magic fans, I'm rarely hyping the guy. I don't like him compared to the other top 5 or 6 prospects, but there's good reason people do.

Tymathee
06-24-2014, 11:55 AM
to me? he's D-wade 2.0, 6-4, scoring combo guard that is great at getting to the rack but he's stronger, much stronger, he's 6'4" 230 the dude is a bowling ball.

i want him on the Lakers.

abe_froman
06-24-2014, 12:06 PM
because he's good at just about everything.good rebounder,assist man,scoring,good athlete,good wingspan ,highly driven

YoungOne
06-24-2014, 12:15 PM
he is a great defender

JasonJohnHorn
06-24-2014, 12:16 PM
There are a lot of problems with just going on college stats, for a variety of reasons. I tend to not even look at college stats when I'm picking prospects I like. They just mean so little. These guys are so far ahead of their primes that it just doesn't matter. But, if you do care, the advanced stats do love Smart. http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2014/story/_/id/11102133/nba-draft-marcus-smart-tops-kevin-pelton-prospect-projection-rankings

The correlation between college statistical success and NBA prowess has to be incredibly insignificant. The games are just so different and the guys are just so young. I mean, Smart is a PG, but in college PGs kinda play a different brand of ball. He has to score more. He has to shoot more. He's never been labeled as a selfish player, or anything other than a really good passer with really good vision. He just had to take initiative a lot because his team often really struggled. Too trigger happy from three? Yeah, probably. But that's the biggest chink in his armor.

4.8 assists isn't necessarily "low" either for a PG in college. That's more than guys like Craft, Russ Smith, Appling and other PGs on great teams. Ennis, who's considered a "true PG" put up 5.6 assists a game playing almost 3 more minutes a game. College PGs rarely just rack up the assists unless they are truly scoring-deficient.

He is projected to be a very strong defender. He's tenacious and has the size. He's a big guy with a long wingspan. He's got the toughness and the quickness to defend on an NBA level. He's an intangible master.

Yes, he's a poor outside shooter, but sometimes that improves...and sometimes it doesn't matter.

I don't know....if you haven't watched the guy just going based on stats is a really poor way to go about it. The guy is ferocious. He's great at attacking the rim and drawing contact, which is a hugely important skill to have.

And ask Magic fans, I'm rarely hyping the guy. I don't like him compared to the other top 5 or 6 prospects, but there's good reason people do.

I agree 100%. College stats are hard to project NBA success, but I don't watch college, so I was wondering why this guy was so high.

I do think percentages matter, and I do think that in this case, the fact that he takes 6+ 3's a game when he clearly isn't that good at them, is a concern in terms of shot selection.

That said, Rondo is an awful shooter and a great point guard because he passes well and is a great defender, but at the same time Rubio is a great passer and defender, and his shot is really holding him and his team back...

Kyben36
06-24-2014, 01:06 PM
he is a james harden type player bro, i know some think he can run point, but not imo

muelly
06-24-2014, 01:14 PM
He can't run the point and he's not near the shooter Harden is. The dude is good but he also shot OK St out of some games. His teammate Markel Brown helped carry that team at times as well. He's a bowling ball as some have said and he puts it all on the court every night.

BKLYNpigeon
06-24-2014, 01:17 PM
Im sure the Teams and Scouts know more then you do. They're at the work outs evaluating players.

abe_froman
06-24-2014, 01:25 PM
he is a james harden type player bro, i know some think he can run point, but not imo

he's no where near the shooter that harden is,probably will never be,he's also a great defender(something harden sucks at).

i'd say more of a poor man's wade/kyle lowery

JLynn943
06-24-2014, 01:33 PM
Seems similar to Tyreke to me. Maybe he'll be able to significantly improve his shot though.

MagicBucsSox
06-24-2014, 01:59 PM
I don't watch a lot of college ball, but I've noticed that Marcus Smart is high on a lot of draft boards, usually top 5 or 6 and sometimes as high as 3rd.

I'm looking at his numbers (which obviously don't tell the whole story), and all I see his a trigger happy point guard who thinks he can shoot threes (6.5 times a game) but can't hit them (only .299 from beyond the arc).

His steals are high, and his 2pt% is high, but his assists are low for a point guard and his assist-to-turnover ratio is nothing to sing about.

Nuff said

kozelkid
06-24-2014, 02:39 PM
Odd comparison. He fits the Wade/Rose/Westbrook mold much more...

kingkenny01
06-24-2014, 02:55 PM
potential over production, scouts see talent in marcus smart. Not exactly sure but I believe he preformed well in the combine also

KG2TB
06-24-2014, 03:08 PM

Stop it, Kyben.

Sadds The Gr8
06-24-2014, 04:37 PM
Nuff said
lol this

Tony_Starks
06-24-2014, 09:12 PM
Smart is one of the rare players that you don't have to doubt if he went full bore every minute he was out there, on both ends of the court.

MrfadeawayJB
06-24-2014, 09:16 PM
He'll be like Kyle Lowry

NBA_Starter
06-24-2014, 09:30 PM

He is an amazing player, individual stats don't always tell the entire story in college basketball.

JasonJohnHorn
06-24-2014, 09:31 PM
Nuff said

Um... yeah... It's the FIRST thing I said. I'm just asking people what they think not suggesting that he should be ranked that high. What is the point of your reply?

JasonJohnHorn
06-24-2014, 09:34 PM
lol this

I'm inviting people to share why they think the guy is good. I haven't gotten to see him play, so I'm asking others who have? Is there something wrong with being curious about a player and asking for insight from people who have watched him play?

I don't watch a lot of college ball, so I'm asking about the guy? Why is that something to mock?

MrfadeawayJB
06-24-2014, 09:39 PM
Also he would have been consensus #1 had he entered the draft last year

FreeAgentZero
06-24-2014, 10:28 PM
I'm higher on Smart than others and I think he's going to be a stud in the NBA. Let me explain.

Too many fans want John Stockton, Rajon Rondo, and all the other "pass first" point guards. Smart isn't that. In this day, only a few are. Westbrook, Wall, Rose,Lillard, etc have shown combo point guards can succeed and are just fine. He'll never be a pure shooter, but how many prospects have improved their jumper in the NBA after struggling in high school/college from deep? You can fix a jump shot. At 6'3 227 lbs, he's a physical specimen and a nightmare for other point guards. He'll be a great defender at a position with so many great point guards. He's a better passer than people give him credit for. It's harder to get assists in college and it's rare to see elite point guards rack up assists. Look at your favorite point guard's college stats and he probably didn't average a ton of assists either. Smart attacks the rim and is an intense competitor. He's going to be solid.

TDE
06-24-2014, 10:56 PM
Maybe this video will help, its a 15 min. scouting report.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTTAlWSjVhc

NBA_Starter
06-24-2014, 11:00 PM
He just has the It Factor.