PDA

View Full Version : Chandler Parsons

Mr.B
06-23-2014, 08:48 PM
Is he a Restricted free agent or is he unrestricted?

If Houston really is going to take a shot at Melo and/or Labron then I can understand why they would let him test free agency. Also if they land Melo and/or Labron they don't really need Parsons. As a Mavs fan I would love for them to go after Parson than Deng.

beasted86
06-23-2014, 09:42 PM
Parsons was a 2nd round pick, so if they let him play out the 4th year of his deal then he would be an unrestricted free agent, just like Lance Stephenson. This is unlike a 1st round pick who automatically becomes a restricted free agent even after playing 4 seasons with a team.

Instead, by declining the 4th year team option on his rookie contract, it allows the Rockets to make him a restricted free agent. Also since he was drafted in the 2nd round, his cap hold/qualifying offer is very small. They can essentially use cap space to sign somebody (if they are able to actually clear space by trading Lin or Asik or others), then go over the cap to re-sign Parsons.

The HEAT did that in 2010 when they signed the Big 3 then went over the cap to sign Joel Anthony to that wasteful contract.

Asik's better
06-23-2014, 10:00 PM
Parsons was a 2nd round pick, so if they let him play out the 4th year of his deal then he would be an unrestricted free agent, just like Lance Stephenson. This is unlike a 1st round pick who automatically becomes a restricted free agent even after playing 4 seasons with a team.

Instead, by declining the 4th year team option on his rookie contract, it allows the Rockets to make him a restricted free agent. Also since he was drafted in the 2nd round, his cap hold/qualifying offer is very small. They can essentially use cap space to sign somebody (if they are able to actually clear space by trading Lin or Asik or others), then go over the cap to re-sign Parsons.

The HEAT did that in 2010 when they signed the Big 3 then went over the cap to sign Joel Anthony to that wasteful contract.
This sums it up perfectly.

NYKNYGNYY
06-23-2014, 10:11 PM
google it..RFA

Mr.B
06-23-2014, 11:46 PM
Is Houston really willing to pay a luxury tax for Parsons if they sign Melo or Labron?

mightybosstone
06-23-2014, 11:50 PM
google it..RFA
That's actually not true. The Rockets still have his team option, and he's not a RFA unless they decline it. The ball's completely in Morey's court at this point.

Is Houston really willing to pay a luxury tax for Parsons if they sign Melo or Labron?
They are. Les Alexander has already gone on record saying he's willing to pay whatever it takes to build a champion, even if it means paying luxury tax penalties.

beasted86
06-23-2014, 11:54 PM
That's actually not true. The Rockets still have his team option, and he's not a RFA unless they decline it. The ball's completely in Morey's court at this point.

They have to pick up the option or decline it by June 30th though.

Mr.B
06-24-2014, 12:38 AM
Hopefully Houston can get into a bidding war for Melo and/or Labron and Parsons get lost in the shuffle. I'd love to see the Mavericks sign him and trade for Tyson Chandler.

JWorthy42
06-24-2014, 01:03 AM
Parsons is way underpaid but also slightly overrated due to that silly contract of his, in my opinion. Hopefully nobody overpays him now.

mightybosstone
06-24-2014, 09:17 AM
They have to pick up the option or decline it by June 30th though.
Right. But as of right now, he's not a RFA. I think the most likely scenario is the Rockets end up declining his option, pushing for Lebron/Melo/Love/Bosh and then signing him afterward using his Bird rights.

Parsons is way underpaid but also slightly overrated due to that silly contract of his, in my opinion. Hopefully nobody overpays him now.
I don't see how he's overrated. He's an extremely versatile 16/5/4 guy who can score from anywhere on the floor and makes his teammates better. And he's a team leader and beloved by fans. He deserves probably $10 million a year, and that's probably what I can see him getting this offseason.

BKLYNpigeon
06-24-2014, 09:57 AM
Parsons will probably sign elsewhere for 10-12 mil a year for 4 years.

mightybosstone
06-24-2014, 09:59 AM
Parsons will probably sign elsewhere for 10-12 mil a year for 4 years.
The Rockets can and will match that offer, but I seriously doubt it will come to that. I'd bet every penny I own that Chandler Parsons will be in a Rockets uniform next season.

BKLYNpigeon
06-24-2014, 11:17 AM
The Rockets can and will match that offer, but I seriously doubt it will come to that. I'd bet every penny I own that Chandler Parsons will be in a Rockets uniform next season.

can the rockets match that if they land melo or lebron?

Asik's better
06-24-2014, 11:58 AM
Yes.

mightybosstone
06-24-2014, 12:02 PM

Bird rights, dude. They can and will go over the cap to sign Parsons. In fact, they could feasibly sign Lebron/Melo to a max, sign Parsons to $10 million a year and fill out the rest of the roster with rookies and veteran minimum guys to stay under the estimated $77 million luxury tax line this season.

Chronz
06-24-2014, 12:24 PM
Bird rights, dude. They can and will go over the cap to sign Parsons. In fact, they could feasibly sign Lebron/Melo to a max, sign Parsons to $10 million a year and fill out the rest of the roster with rookies and veteran minimum guys to stay under the estimated $77 million luxury tax line this season.
Is his cap hold so low that it doesn't matter if they sign those guys. How does Houston have the cap space to do all this?

mightybosstone
06-24-2014, 12:35 PM
Is his cap hold so low that it doesn't matter if they sign those guys. How does Houston have the cap space to do all this?
They would have to get rid of Asik and Lin's contracts. But if they managed to do that without taking on any salary, they would have about $44.4 million in contracts including Parsons' $1.8 million cap hold. But they have several other small contracts they could move or play with. They don't have to pick up Troy Daniels' $800,000 option or they could move Terrence Jones or Donatas Motiejunas, who each make about $1.5 million.

It would take some tinkering, but Morey has the flexibility to move pieces around in order to get enough money for a max contract for Lebron or Melo.

Mr.B
06-24-2014, 12:45 PM

You have to keep in mind that his contract may be for $10 to $12 mil a year but if they are over the cap when they sign him the owner will be paying $20 to $24 mil for Chandler Parsons in the first year of his contact because of the luxury tax. Then each year that number escalates. I just don't see them willing to pay that much for Chandler Parsons. This all IF they get Melo or Labron of course.

mightybosstone
06-24-2014, 01:03 PM
You have to keep in mind that his contract may be for $10 to $12 mil a year but if they are over the cap when they sign him the owner will be paying $20 to $24 mil for Chandler Parsons in the first year of his contact because of the luxury tax. Then each year that number escalates. I just don't see them willing to pay that much for Chandler Parsons. This all IF they get Melo or Labron of course.

Why would they be paying double for Parsons if they aren't over the luxury tax line?

Mr.B
06-24-2014, 02:15 PM
If the Rockets sign Melo and/or Labron they will be. Now if they are able to trade Lin and Asik they would have the cap room however most of their depth would be gone.

mightybosstone
06-24-2014, 02:20 PM
If the Rockets sign Melo and/or Labron they will be. Now if they are able to trade Lin and Asik they would have the cap room however most of their depth would be gone.
Except you're missing the fact that they can't go over the luxury tax line to sign Lebron or Melo, because they can't go over the salary cap to sign Lebron or Melo. To sign one of those guys without a sign and trade, they HAVE to move Asik and Lin in order to sign one of those guys and stay under the cap. There is literally zero chance Lebron or Melo are on this Rockets team with Asik and/or Lin at the same time.

But if Houston cuts Lin and Asik's contracts (the likely plan), they can feasibly create enough cap room to offer Melo/Lebron a max contract. They could then sign Parsons for $10-12 million a year and still not go over the estimated $77 million luxury tax line. So, in fact, they would not be paying double for Parsons' contract at all.

mightybosstone
06-24-2014, 02:22 PM
And as far as depth goes, who cares? If you had a starting lineup of Beverley/Harden/Parsons/Lebron/Dwight, you don't need depth as long as everyone is healthy for the postseason. They could still add a veteran piece or two with the MLE and veteran minimum contracts, and they'd still have a few talented young guys like Terrence Jones, Donatas Motiejunas and Isaiah Canaan.

Goose17
06-24-2014, 02:32 PM
And as far as depth goes, who cares? If you had a starting lineup of Beverley/Harden/Parsons/Lebron/Dwight, you don't need depth as long as everyone is healthy for the postseason.

Eww... I agree with most of the stuff you've said in this thread but that last comment there is not a good mind set imo.

Depth gets you everywhere in this league, either that or a coach that's good enough to make below average players look like solid role players.

You either need a great system or depth. Can't win it all without one of those two.

That's just my opinion though.

You guys won't be getting Lebron anyway, no way does he leave Miami. Melo on the other hand...

Beverley - Harden - Parsons - Melo - Dwight

You guys would seriously need to consider ditching Parsons for a more defensive minded guy, Harden - Chandler - Melo isn't exactly strong defensively. Although Beverley and Dwight do balance it out somewhat.

beasted86
06-24-2014, 02:40 PM
Its possible, but improbable. The Rockets will most likely be paying Parsons $10M+ and will also likely use their room mid-level which adds another $2.7M. Once they sign 6-8 minimum salaries on top of that, they should be over $77M.

mightybosstone
06-24-2014, 02:43 PM
Eww... I agree with most of the stuff you've said in this thread but that last comment there is not a good mind set imo.

Depth gets you everywhere in this league, either that or a coach that's good enough to make below average players look like solid role players.

You either need a great system or depth. Can't win it all without one of those two.

That's just my opinion though.
Depth matters less than chemistry and overall talent in the playoffs. Even a team like the Spurs, who are deeper than most, had only 7 guys average more than 22 minutes per game in the postseason and only 9 games average more than 15 minutes. And it's not like the guys getting those big bench minutes are studs. Diaw, Bellinelli and Mills play their roles well, but those aren't big money guys. Houston could easily get players of that caliber to fill out their bench if they had to.

You guys won't be getting Lebron anyway, no way does he leave Miami.
I think Houston is extremely unlikely, but if Lebron were to leave Miami (again not that likely), Houston would probably have a better chance of any team outside of Cleveland.

Melo on the other hand...

Beverley - Harden - Parsons - Melo - Dwight

You guys would seriously need to consider ditching Parsons for a more defensive minded guy, Harden - Chandler - Melo isn't exactly strong defensively. Although Beverley and Dwight do balance it out somewhat.
As I've said in other threads, that team is no worse defensively than what they played with last season as Terrence Jones is pretty damn mediocre on the defensive side of the ball. It would struggle at times, but Dwight and Beverley play well enough in moments to make up for it. If Houston could add some decent bench defenders, that would certainly help.

Mr.B
06-24-2014, 02:44 PM
And as far as depth goes, who cares? If you had a starting lineup of Beverley/Harden/Parsons/Lebron/Dwight, you don't need depth as long as everyone is healthy for the postseason. They could still add a veteran piece or two with the MLE and veteran minimum contracts, and they'd still have a few talented young guys like Terrence Jones, Donatas Motiejunas and Isaiah Canaan.

Lack of depth is one of the reasons Miami lost to the Spurs. When the starting lineup was in the Heat kept pace with the Spurs for the most part but as soon as both teams went to their bench Miami got smoked by the Spurs bench. That's also part if TE reason Miami lost to Dallas in the Finals too. Dallas had a much stronger bench than Miami.

Now Miami was able to still win two titles because they had the best basketball player on the planet on their team but if Houston thinks they can win it all with no bench and no Labron they are likely in for a very rude awakening.

Goose17
06-24-2014, 02:52 PM
Depth matters less than chemistry and overall talent in the playoffs. Even a team like the Spurs, who are deeper than most, had only 7 guys average more than 22 minutes per game in the postseason and only 9 games average more than 15 minutes. And it's not like the guys getting those big bench minutes are studs. Diaw, Bellinelli and Mills play their roles well, but those aren't big money guys. Houston could easily get players of that caliber to fill out their bench if they had to.

- The reason guys like Diaw and Mills play well is because of the system, like I said, if you have an elite coach that can get below average players to play like solid role players, that's great. Houston doesn't have that though. Diaw and Mills wouldn't be as effective on your team.

- The Spurs bench led all benches in points and assists, they were top 3 in rebounding and steals and number one in opponents points per game. They are DEEP. Somewhat due to the talent, mostly due to the system.

- Chemistry matters more. But just because it matters more doesn't mean depth doesn't matter.

I think Houston is extremely unlikely, but if Lebron were to leave Miami (again not that likely), Houston would probably have a better chance of any team outside of Cleveland.

One of the better chances but it's not happening anyway.

As I've said in other threads, that team is no worse defensively than what they played with last season as Terrence Jones is pretty damn mediocre on the defensive side of the ball. It would struggle at times, but Dwight and Beverley play well enough in moments to make up for it. If Houston could add some decent bench defenders, that would certainly help.

Oh, so you would need depth? ;)

mightybosstone
06-24-2014, 03:00 PM
Lack of depth is one of the reasons Miami lost to the Spurs. When the starting lineup was in the Heat kept pace with the Spurs for the most part but as soon as both teams went to their bench Miami got smoked by the Spurs bench. That's also part if TE reason Miami lost to Dallas in the Finals too. Dallas had a much stronger bench than Miami.
Really? Because I would say the reason the Heat lost is because every player other than Lebron James and Rashard Lewis dramatically underperformed while the Spurs played out of their minds. It certainly wasn't all on the bench. It's on Wade, Bosh and Chalmers as well. I look at both team's benches and I don't see a significantly worse bench in Miami. Are Mills/Splitter/Bellinelli/Diaw that much better than Andersen/Allen/Lewis/Cole? I'd buy that they're better, but not so much better that it was the difference in the series whatsoever.

Now Miami was able to still win two titles because they had the best basketball player on the planet on their team but if Houston thinks they can win it all with no bench and no Labron they are likely in for a very rude awakening.
You could go through every Finals team in NBA history and you're going to find a lot more teams with stacked starting fives and a couple of decent bench guys than you're going to find teams with 9-10 really solid players that got 20+ minutes a night. Depth matters far less in the postseason than it does in the regular season, and I'm not even sure how you can argue otherwise.

mightybosstone
06-24-2014, 03:14 PM
- The reason guys like Diaw and Mills play well is because of the system, like I said, if you have an elite coach that can get below average players to play like solid role players, that's great. Houston doesn't have that though. Diaw and Mills wouldn't be as effective on your team.
Who's to say they wouldn't? You're speaking completely in vague generalizations with no data whatsoever to back up your point. Diaw and Mills played well in the series, because Diaw and Mills played well in the series. If they played 1,000 series, they would be mediocre or poor in just as many series as they would excel. That's the nature of your bench. If they were better basketball players, they would be starting.

- The Spurs bench led all benches in points and assists, they were top 3 in rebounding and steals and number one in opponents points per game. They are DEEP. Somewhat due to the talent, mostly due to the system.
The Spurs "bench" also includes Manu Ginobili, who gets starting caliber minutes and is a future Hall of Famer. If you take away Ginobili, that bench isn't nearly as sexy as you're making it out to be.

- Chemistry matters more. But just because it matters more doesn't mean depth doesn't matter.
Actually talent matters more and matchup matters the most. In a playoff series, I'd say in terms of importance, it's 1. Matchup, 2. Talent, 3 Chemistry, 4. Depth. San Antonio didn't win that series because they were deeper. They won because they matched up well with Miami, they played well together and they played better basketball.

One of the better chances but it's not happening anyway.
Probably not, but it's at least worth the discussion.

Oh, so you would need depth? ;)
lol... Dude, nobody is saying that you can win a championship with five players playing 48 minutes a night. You HAVE to have a decent 8-man rotation. But you can get a decent wing defender off the bench for the veteran minimum or the MLE. You don't have to spend $8 million a year for a guy to defend, hit the occasional 3-pointer and play 20 minutes a night. And you shouldn't pay that much. Also, you're acting as if Houston would have no other players on the roster, but both Terrence Jones and Donatas Motiejunas played very well for Houston this year and Isaiah Canaan has showed some promise as a backup off the bench.

In the unbelievably unlikely event that Houston managed to get a starting five of Beverley/Harden/Parsons/Lebron/Dwight, I assure you they would be just fine without a bench of 5-7 solid guys. And they would still be able to add players using the MLE and veteran minimum contracts.

Goose17
06-24-2014, 03:20 PM
lol, you actually think Houston could have coached the Spurs bench to play that well? Come on now... take the homer glasses off. Pop turns d-league players into starters for christ sake. Sorry, but you're fooling yourself. Give Pop your worst players and watch him turn them into serious role players.

Go ahead and form your super team, just makes it easier for the Dubs to beat you next year ;)

Oh and it's - 1. Chemistry, 2. Talent, 3. The System 4. Depth

:)

IndyRealist
06-24-2014, 03:23 PM
There are half a dozen East team that would help out Houston salary wise if it means Lebron in the West.

Mr.B
06-24-2014, 03:35 PM
Diaw, Mills, Splitter, and especially Green played well all year long not just in the Finals. And I have to disagree with you when comparing that bench to Miami's bench. San Antonio's is much better than Miami's. Chalmers was even so ineffective that he was benched.

But back to my topic, I just don't see Houston's owner willing to dish out over $20 mil (in the first year) for Chandler Parsons. If Houston were to get Labron (highly unlikely) they won't need Parsons. If Houston ends up with Melo though they are going to need bench help because that team would not be able to beat teams like San Antonio.

For what it's worth I think Melo signs in Chicago and Labron ends up back in Cleveland.

Mr.B
06-24-2014, 03:36 PM
lol, you actually think Houston could have coached the Spurs bench to play that well? Come on now... take the homer glasses off. Pop turns d-league players into starters for christ sake. Sorry, but you're fooling yourself. Give Pop your worst players and watch him turn them into serious role players.

Go ahead and form your super team, just makes it easier for the Dubs to beat you next year ;)

I agree 100%

mightybosstone
06-24-2014, 08:40 PM
When did this become a coaching discussion? When did I ever once state that the Rockets coaching staff is comparative in any way to the Spurs coaching staff? You're the one who keeps bringing up coaching. Not me. I think the system these guys play in and the coaching they receive certainly helps, but it's not the difference between them being D-League players and NBA superstars.

My point was that those guys didn't play that well in the Finals because they're a remarkable bench. They played well in the Finals because they had a good series. It's a matter of sample size. For example, take Patty Mills. Look at the guys numbers against Miami and Portland and then against OKC and Dallas. They're night and day. And Splitter was great against Dallas and then was maybe the 8th or 9th best player in the other three series.

I realize this is a joke, but it's also just incorrect. If the Rockets add Lebron or Melo and the Warriors are the same team as last year, the Rockets will mop the floor with Golden State. ;)

Wait.... So you don't believe matchup matters AT ALL in the playoffs? You're crazy, dude. That's one of the most important factors when it comes to postseason outcomes.

mightybosstone
06-24-2014, 08:50 PM
Diaw, Mills, Splitter, and especially Green played well all year long not just in the Finals. And I have to disagree with you when comparing that bench to Miami's bench. San Antonio's is much better than Miami's. Chalmers was even so ineffective that he was benched.
By bringing up Chalmers, you made my point for me. It wasn't Miami's bench that caused them to lose that series. It was poor play of pretty much the entire team outside of Lebron and Rashard Lewis, who was still mediocre, but at least played better than expected.

But back to my topic, I just don't see Houston's owner willing to dish out over $20 mil (in the first year) for Chandler Parsons. If Houston were to get Labron (highly unlikely) they won't need Parsons. If Houston ends up with Melo though they are going to need bench help because that team would not be able to beat teams like San Antonio.
Where in the hell are you getting the $20 million figure from with Parsons? The Rockets could not possibly pay him that much money in a single year even if they wanted to. If you're doing the whole "they're paying him twice because they'd be over the luxury tax line" thing, then you're wrong. I already argued that point several pages ago. The Rockets could add Melo/Lebron and still add Parsons at $10-12 million a year without hitting the estimated $77 million luxury tax line much less going over the luxury tax line by $10 million.

Tony_Starks
06-24-2014, 09:05 PM
I don't think anybody is really checking for Justin Timberlake. He's solid but a tad overrated.

Even though I would like to see him on a different situation because he'll never reach full potential with Harden monopolizing the ball and Dwight demanding his touches. He's more talented than just a catch and shoot player.

Mr.B
06-25-2014, 12:00 AM
By bringing up Chalmers, you made my point for me. It wasn't Miami's bench that caused them to lose that series. It was poor play of pretty much the entire team outside of Lebron and Rashard Lewis, who was still mediocre, but at least played better than expected.

Where in the hell are you getting the $20 million figure from with Parsons? The Rockets could not possibly pay him that much money in a single year even if they wanted to. If you're doing the whole "they're paying him twice because they'd be over the luxury tax line" thing, then you're wrong. I already argued that point several pages ago. The Rockets could add Melo/Lebron and still add Parsons at $10-12 million a year without hitting the estimated $77 million luxury tax line much less going over the luxury tax line by $10 million.
The $20 mil figure on Parsons is coming from the luxury tax. The first year a team is over the cap the tax is dollar for dollar. So if the Rockets are over the cap when/if they resign Parsons the owner will have to match his salary in a fine to the NBA. So if they sign him to a $10 to $12 mil a year contract the owner will actually be coming out of pocket in the amount of $20 to $24 mil for Parsons. And that's just in the first year! The tax escalates each year the Rockets are over the cap. Now Parsons is a really good player but there is no way in hell the owner would be willing to pay that much for him. Again the Rockets would only be in this situation IF they land Melo or Labron.

InRoseWeTrust
06-25-2014, 12:10 AM
The $20 mil figure on Parsons is coming from the luxury tax. The first year a team is over the cap the tax is dollar for dollar. So if the Rockets are over the cap when/if they resign Parsons the owner will have to match his salary in a fine to the NBA. So if they sign him to a $10 to $12 mil a year contract the owner will actually be coming out of pocket in the amount of $20 to $24 mil for Parsons. And that's just in the first year! The tax escalates each year the Rockets are over the cap. Now Parsons is a really good player but there is no way in hell the owner would be willing to pay that much for him. Again the Rockets would only be in this situation IF they land Melo or Labron.

The cap isn't where the luxury tax kicks in. The luxury tax line is. And all 10 of that proposed salary wouldn't be over the line.

rockets-fan
06-25-2014, 12:46 AM

You don't get how luxury tax works huh?

There is a luxury tax line, basically when you hit that dollar amount that is when you start paying the tax, not every dollar over the cap like you think so. I think it's like what $78 million I believe. So by getting rid if Asik and Lin, signing a max and signing parsons to $12 a year, they don't pay $24 mil they pay $14 ish

Goose17
06-25-2014, 04:51 AM
I think the system these guys play in and the coaching they receive certainly helps, but it's not the difference between them being D-League players and NBA superstars.

It literally is. Danny Green was a D-leaguer, not even a good one. Then Pops comes along and makes him a legit starter.

Same with most of the bench, average players look good, good players look great. They are deep thanks to the individuals but mostly the system. Being able to go 9 deep in the finals, to plug in a bench guy and keep playing at the same level. That's what makes them special. The coaching. The team/"us" mindset. The depth. The fact that they don't have any ego's on that team, not one.

You ignored the fact that their bench led all benches in points and assists, top 3 in rebounding and steals, number one in opponents ppg. If that's not depth, what is?

torocan
06-25-2014, 10:39 AM

Morey has been ultra smart when it comes to maneuvering his flexibility and cap space through signing undrafted, 2nd round players, and acquiring picks.

The only real obstacle to acquiring Melo is moving Lin and Asik (easy to do when you have cheap players and picks to throw in). As for acquiring LBJ, if they want him in addition to Melo, they would have to trade Harden.

However, I don't think there's a GM in the world that wouldn't move Harden for Lebron.

Very, very long shot of course.

Morey is a genius when it comes to roster flexibility and CBA/cap management. You can knock him for other things, but his ability to find cheap role players and keep maximum roster flexibility is way ahead of the curve.

Vinylman
06-25-2014, 11:02 AM

yes... because he is a good player and becomes another Morey trade asset ....