PDA

View Full Version : Report: Tim Duncan to opt in to final year of contract

kdspurman
06-23-2014, 12:56 PM

This is not finalized by any means, but the sources are pretty strong. If it does happen, it helps the chances significantly of the Spurs being able to retain Mills/Diaw. And, means more Timmy which is also nice :)

It would be at least the 3rd time in a decade he voluntarily slashed his pay

Update... (clearly, the sources are not strong enough)

KnicksorBust
06-23-2014, 01:01 PM
I can't imagine Diaw wanting to leave. He and Parker are crazy close and he is perfect on that team. Patty Mills is the only one I could see chasing a payday. He had a hot playoffs just like JJ Barea and he might find a team that is willing to give him $25 million guaranteed.

KnicksorBust
06-23-2014, 01:02 PM
What is the source?

bucketss
06-23-2014, 01:10 PM
im still trying to figure how how to embed tweets.

Greet
06-23-2014, 01:13 PM
I can't imagine Diaw wanting to leave. He and Parker are crazy close and he is perfect on that team. Patty Mills is the only one I could see chasing a payday. He had a hot playoffs just like JJ Barea and he might find a team that is willing to give him $25 million guaranteed.

I don't think Diaw is going to leave, and I don't think SAS is gonna let him leave. Him and Parker have been playing together since they where teens. Diaw was an x-factor all playoffs, he was incredible.

kdspurman
06-23-2014, 01:20 PM
What is the source?

The guy who tweeted it is a long time SA/Spurs writer. Other folks on twitter have said his Spurs source is "impeccable". Just from previous situations, he is usually accurate

kdspurman
06-23-2014, 01:22 PM
im still trying to figure how how to embed tweets.

you need to put [tweet ] [/tweet ]

And in between, you need to put the numbers at the end of the tweet URL.

So in this case if you click on that tweet it's

https://twitter.com/Buck_SA/status/481104118497308673

So you would need to copy/paste all the numbers from the end and put between the [tweet ] [/tweet ]

savvy1803
06-23-2014, 01:23 PM
Lowers payroll and rewards him ? If this is true it will be interesting to see what kind of deal actually gets worked out , i hope Duncan is not taking another pay cut . Something about great players sacrificing their salary so greedy owners can continue to line their pocket's seems wrong , we know why they do this ( betterment of the team and fans ) but the damn salary cap needs to be addressed .

Stunner
06-23-2014, 01:30 PM
Duncan making Kobe look horrible lol

kobe4thewinbang
06-23-2014, 01:31 PM
Tim Duncan is like the Jango Fett of the NBA.
If they ever needed mass clone production, he'd be the guy.
Great attitude, the star without any real ego, just cares about winning.

KnicksorBust
06-23-2014, 01:36 PM
Duncan making Kobe look horrible lol

Duncan "I'm making too much. Let me opt out so we can go back to back with Patty and Boris."

Kobe "Yeah I'm gonna need that $30 million now. SUPER MAX!"

Swift Game
06-23-2014, 01:38 PM
Kobe should follow suit and do the right thing for the fans and the organization. Lots of respect to Mr. Duncan for keeping the team intact.

Would not shock me one bit if they made a run at Pau Gasol. I certainly wouldn't mind him going to the spurs if his days as a Laker is done.

BKLYNpigeon
06-23-2014, 01:39 PM
Lowers payroll and rewards him ? If this is true it will be interesting to see what kind of deal actually gets worked out , i hope Duncan is not taking another pay cut . Something about great players sacrificing their salary so greedy owners can continue to line their pocket's seems wrong , we know why they do this ( betterment of the team and fans ) but the damn salary cap needs to be addressed .

The Owner of the Spurs is far from lining his pockets. The Spurs have the Lowest Ticket Prices and Food Costs in the League. Whatever the salary Cap is Im sure the Spurs will try and spend every dollar to keep their team together.

The Spurs Big 3, Duncan, Parker and Ginobli contracts already add up to less then 30 million total. lol.

jerellh528
06-23-2014, 01:40 PM
A tweet from a guy that's not Duncan that says it's an option he's heard doesn't mean "Duncan to opt out and take pay cut"

kobe4thewinbang
06-23-2014, 01:45 PM
Duncan "I'm making too much. Let me opt out so we can go back to back with Patty and Boris."

Kobe "Yeah I'm gonna need that $30 million now. SUPER MAX!"Kobe never said that. He just went along with what the stupid front office gave him. Questionable decision, sure. I think he should've taken 15 mil.

(Gawd, these guys are so overpaid!)

kdspurman
06-23-2014, 01:46 PM
A tweet from a guy that's not Duncan that says it's an option he's heard doesn't mean "Duncan to opt out and take pay cut"

Fair point, but like I said this guy has been spot on with this stuff (spurs related at least) he has to be careful how he words it as well.

bucketss
06-23-2014, 01:47 PM
you need to put [tweet ] [/tweet ]

And in between, you need to put the numbers at the end of the tweet URL.

So in this case if you click on that tweet it's

https://twitter.com/Buck_SA/status/481104118497308673

So you would need to copy/paste all the numbers from the end and put between the [tweet ] [/tweet ]

wow, thanks

xxplayerxx23
06-23-2014, 01:48 PM
Love Timmy such a class act

savvy1803
06-23-2014, 01:53 PM
The Owner of the Spurs is far from lining his pockets. The Spurs have the Lowest Ticket Prices and Food Costs in the League. Whatever the salary Cap is Im sure the Spurs will try and spend every dollar to keep their team together.

The Spurs Big 3, Duncan, Parker and Ginobli contracts already add up to less then 30 million total. lol.

I was not taking a shot at the Spur's ownership i realize they are not in a huge market compared to some others with lucrative tv deals and such , just trying to point out that in general the scales at this time are tipped in the owner's favor in regards to the cap . Would love to see greats like Duncan be rewarded more financially instead of having to make repeated concessions to keep a team together is all .

SPURSFAN1
06-23-2014, 02:01 PM
I was not taking a shot at the Spur's ownership i realize they are not in a huge market compared to some others with lucrative tv deals and such , just trying to point out that in general the scales at this time are tipped in the owner's favor in regards to the cap . Would love to see greats like Duncan be rewarded more financially instead of having to make repeated concessions to keep a team together is all .

If Tim Duncan wanted more money he would have more endorsements. He just chooses not to. He already made a ton of money, and that is not his priority.

kdspurman
06-23-2014, 02:01 PM

That part sort of confused me too but here's what i saw-

dodgersuck
06-23-2014, 02:06 PM
Watch him pull a fast one and sign with the Heat. The internet would meltdown

RaiderLakersA's
06-23-2014, 02:15 PM

Kobe "Yeah I'm gonna need that $30 million now. SUPER MAX!"

Duncan to his grandkids: "Sorry, we only have just the one car. Let me see if Southwest still offers $49 airfare each way."

Kobe to his grandkids: "I'll send the Sikorsky for you. Don't mention it."

savvy1803
06-23-2014, 02:21 PM
That part sort of confused me too but here's what i saw-

Confused me too KD and i realize Duncan has already made his over the years so he is in a great position to do this , not knocking him in any way but for those future stars who have yet to make their big deal it forces more of an immediate decision .. " get paid or win " . I believe this benefits the owners as a whole more then the players because of the current cap and the amount of flexibility it currently provides teams to pay their player's .

FYL_McVeezy
06-23-2014, 02:26 PM

This is not finalized by any means, but the sources are pretty strong. If it does happen, it helps the chances significantly of the Spurs being able to retain Mills/Diaw. And, means more Timmy which is also nice :)

Timmy is one of the most selfless stars to ever grace the NBA. The Spurs org is so lucky to have drafted him.

bleedprple&gold
06-23-2014, 02:26 PM
Dammit Timmy I wanted you to retire not play two more years! But nice sacrifice (again) and putting the team first. Kobe needs to take note. And I think the Spurs would have brought back Mills and Diaw anyway even if he didn't do this so that shows even more sacrifice since it probably wasn't necessary.

ManRam
06-23-2014, 02:30 PM
Duncan to his grandkids: "Sorry, we only have just the one car. Let me see if Southwest still offers $49 airfare each way."

Kobe to his grandkids: "I'll send the Sikorsky for you. Don't mention it."

Duncan hasn't purchased a new article of clothing in roughly a decade now. Even though he's made less, I bet he's saved up more. He'll be OK!

SPURSFAN1
06-23-2014, 02:32 PM
Duncan hasn't purchased a new article of clothing in roughly a decade now. Even though he's made less, I bet he's saved up more. He'll be OK!

:laugh:

DillyDill
06-23-2014, 02:34 PM
Gotta love and respect Timmy such a class act always putting team first. I believe the source 100%

torocan
06-23-2014, 02:35 PM
Timmeh!

:worthy::worthy::worthy:

FYL_McVeezy
06-23-2014, 02:36 PM

:laugh: Duncan still has the same pair of baggy wrangler's jeans from 2003

yungincome
06-23-2014, 02:55 PM
:love: Timmay

Hawkeye15
06-23-2014, 02:58 PM
Kobe never said that. He just went along with what the stupid front office gave him. Questionable decision, sure. I think he should've taken 15 mil.

seriously. Anyone here gonna say no if your boss comes in and throws a huge overpay at you?

Hell to the no

ink
06-23-2014, 03:02 PM
Kobe never said that. He just went along with what the stupid front office gave him. Questionable decision, sure. I think he should've taken 15 mil.

seriously. Anyone here gonna say no if your boss comes in and throws a huge overpay at you?

Hell to the no

Uh, Tim Duncan?

Hellcrooner
06-23-2014, 03:30 PM
hope that opens the capspace to sign Pau.

Hellcrooner
06-23-2014, 03:32 PM

Hell to the no

if i had already enough money to feed my grand grand grand grand grand sons?

and the target was to add to my public legacy?

Absolutley.

kdspurman

SPURSFAN1
Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu ginobili = Kobe in payroll

ManRam
06-23-2014, 03:41 PM
Uh, Tim Duncan?

In a "normal" job, he's right. There really are very few jobs where taking less money can really help you out individually. None of us are striving for legacies, we're just trying to make money, support our families and live a good life. There's no reason to really ever turn down the chance at making more money.

But in team sports that sacrifice can make a difference. For sure. Still, he's not obligated to make that sacrifice. I get why people bash him for it, but ultimately it's his life, his money and his career. So be it.

The Lakers aren't winning anything these next two years regardless of how much Kobe is making, either. Duncan made the sacrifice on a championship caliber team...Kobe isn't on anything that even remotely resembles that.

Jeffy25
06-23-2014, 04:12 PM

:nod:

kdspurman
06-23-2014, 04:19 PM
Confused me too KD and i realize Duncan has already made his over the years so he is in a great position to do this , not knocking him in any way but for those future stars who have yet to make their big deal it forces more of an immediate decision .. " get paid or win " . I believe this benefits the owners as a whole more then the players because of the current cap and the amount of flexibility it currently provides teams to pay their player's .

I think it's a 2 way thing. The Spurs have taken care of TD his whole career, and I think when you're treated a certain way, you don't mind returning the favor. It's a unique relationship.

Ultimately, if TD and the Spurs can continue to be a contender due to the other pieces they can sign with him taking less, it works out for him because he cares about the success of the team.

But, I do agree the current cap situation should be revisited.

kdspurman
06-23-2014, 04:29 PM
Well, looks like the reliable sources were not correct in this scenario :laugh2:

Could be looking at TD's last year now IMO

bleedprple&gold
06-23-2014, 04:30 PM

Hell to the no

If you're already a multi-multi-millionaire and all they can afford after you is a bunch of incompetent underqualified morons you that you have work and deal with everyday you might think twice about it.

torocan
06-23-2014, 04:35 PM
Well, looks like the reliable sources were not correct in this scenario :laugh2:

It might have been on the table, but maybe Tim didn't need to take a cut? IE, maybe they know that they'll have the money for Diaw and Mills?

Also, they're going to have loads of cap space next year, so maybe Tim wants some room to maneuver?

I think Diaw's coming back for sure... it's going to be interesting to see what Mills does -- especially after he saw how Gary Neal's trip to the Bucks and the locker room drama in Indiana for George Hill is working out.

savvy1803
06-23-2014, 04:37 PM

Hopefully its not his last year , have to wait and see how this actually shakes out now .

nickdymez
06-23-2014, 04:38 PM
In a "normal" job, he's right. There really are very few jobs where taking less money can really help you out individually. None of us are striving for legacies, we're just trying to make money, support our families and live a good life. There's no reason to really ever turn down the chance at making more money.

But in team sports that sacrifice can make a difference. For sure. Still, he's not obligated to make that sacrifice. I get why people bash him for it, but ultimately it's his life, his money and his career. So be it.

The Lakers aren't winning anything these next two years regardless of how much Kobe is making, either. Duncan made the sacrifice on a championship caliber team...Kobe isn't on anything that even remotely resembles that.
That's what I keep trying to tell people

kdspurman
06-23-2014, 04:40 PM
Hopefully its not his last year , have to wait and see how this actually shakes out now .

Yea. It says he'll revisit his Spurs future next summer, and at time the Spurs will have a lot of cap space. It'll be interesting

PurpleLynch
06-23-2014, 04:49 PM
He's making room to lure Lebron ahah

Just joking,great move by Duncan,he want that 6th ring now!

torocan
06-23-2014, 04:57 PM

Um, don't even joke about that.

Right now, the Spurs are sitting at $54M in salaries. If they renounce Diaw and Mills, they can sign Lebron outright for close to $10M. Moving Splitter would free up another $10M.

While I don't see any real scenario where Lebron voluntarily decides to go to the Spurs, they CAN actually pull it off especially with Duncan and Manu hitting the last years of their careers creating an automatic transition for another star player.

Lebron + Kawhi + Parker?

Lord help us all if we ever see Lebron playing with the Spurs....

JC_
06-23-2014, 05:07 PM
Hopefully they kick the crap out of the West again.

HuRRiCaNeS324
06-23-2014, 05:58 PM

Right now, the Spurs are sitting at $54M in salaries. If they renounce Diaw and Mills, they can sign Lebron outright for close to $10M. Moving Splitter would free up another $10M.

While I don't see any real scenario where Lebron voluntarily decides to go to the Spurs, they CAN actually pull it off especially with Duncan and Manu hitting the last years of their careers creating an automatic transition for another star player.

Lebron + Kawhi + Parker?

:shush:

todu82
06-23-2014, 06:27 PM
Think this is his last contract. Figure him and Pops both retire after this year.

bleedprple&gold
06-23-2014, 06:47 PM

Lebron + Kawhi + Parker?

Calm down Lebron's not going to the Spurs.

bleedprple&gold
06-23-2014, 06:49 PM

That's what I keep trying to tell people

Yea but it would have been a hell of a lot easier to build a contender if Kobe wasnt taking up a third of the cap.

jerellh528
06-24-2014, 12:39 AM
Late post

Jarvo
06-24-2014, 01:00 AM
:dance: :dance: :dance: More Tim Duncan!!! Timmmaahhhh

ILLUSIONIST^248
06-24-2014, 01:46 AM

Update... (clearly, the sources are not strong enough)

Duncan's a ****ing beast man, I give the guy so much credit for staying with his team all these years. He and Jordan both took franchise not worth much and made them what they are today.

Hawkamania
06-24-2014, 04:52 AM
Glad to see Timmie D decided to return and play another season. Now, let's see if the Spurs can achieve that back-to-back.