PDA

View Full Version : Mavs Targetting Pau.

Hellcrooner
06-22-2014, 10:42 PM
http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/11120660/dallas-mavericks-plan-pursue-pau-gasol-once-free-agency-begins

Good idea? bad Idea?

they have Jose to make the pitch to him, can they really work on offense him and Dirk? they have never quite liked each other....

Defensively, considering the line up would be Calderon, ellis, ?, Dirk, Pau it would be a nightmare even if they fill the ? with Deng for example.

So can offense trump a poor defense?

Should pau accept the offer?

king4day
06-22-2014, 10:44 PM
I never buy into the whole 'this guy hates that guy' thing. It's a business and in the end, if a player makes the team better, nobody will have a problem putting differences aside.

I think he'd help Dallas go from being a fringe playoff team to a 5-7 seed.

MrfadeawayJB
06-22-2014, 10:44 PM
Dirk and pau at this stage cannot be on the court together for defensive purposes. I'm thinking he is a backup plan for Cuban to get a big name if he can't land melo or bosh

MrfadeawayJB
06-22-2014, 10:46 PM
I'd love pau in Memphis if he doesn't mind coming off the bench as a 6th man. I see him ending up in Toronto or Washington

gatkins11
06-22-2014, 10:50 PM
He wouldn't be the only addition. Realistically speaking, Deng could potentially be added. Obviously they will try to have meetings with Lebron/Melo, but realistically they're looking at adding multiple pieces and use their readily available cap space that way.

Tony_Starks
06-22-2014, 10:54 PM
Would be a great pickup for Dallas. Him and Calderon are boys and the versatility between him and Dirk would be a nightmare to defend.

Gasol is probably one of the most important under the radar FAs that really isn't being discussed this year. Hopefully my Lake show gets their act together and gets some sort of blueprint going so he feels comfortable buying in for one last ride.

Crunch Time
06-22-2014, 11:30 PM
Just Gasol wouldn't really make a big difference for the Mavs, especially given his (lack of) health. But, it's a move I guess..

bigsams50
06-23-2014, 12:47 AM
Pau with Dirk is the ****

LA_Raiders
06-23-2014, 03:17 AM
Calderon, Irk and Pau would be the sorriest D ever...

PurpleLynch
06-23-2014, 08:05 AM
Very fun on offense,but on defense...You know,I have my doubts :rolleyes:

Vince70
06-23-2014, 08:11 AM
Gasol is the guy that Riley should be targeting for the Heat as that would seal LeBron's return and fill some needs that were exposed. I don't know if the full MLE would be enough to land him but if Wade/Bosh opt out of their contracts and take the paycut they should since it's the Big 1 now wouldn't that be enough to fit him in? Gasol will do what Bosh doesn't do anymore and that is provide a strong inside presence by hitting the boards and scoring in the post and not to mention Gasol is a far superior passer. Bosh will do what Gasol really doesn't which is take care of things on the defensive end, something that wouldn't work in playing Dirk and Gasol together, while still hanging out by the 3pt line to hit some open shots. Bosh has looked very small to me in the past two NBA Finals and East Finals in height and mass to Duncan/Hibbert so move him back to PF and Gasol to C. Gasol would take so much pressure off LeBron on the offensive end and on just that alone I would try to get him if I was Riley. Dallas could maybe move up a few spots in the West with him but Miami could win another title with him so I beleive Miami needs him more in the bigger picture.

Thumper 88
06-23-2014, 10:55 AM
Mavs don't need Gasol or Melo. They need defense because the offense is fine.

Deng and Chandler would be great with Harris, Carter and Matrix coming off the bench

Wade n Fade
06-23-2014, 11:41 AM
I don't think the Mavs will make a big splash in FA. It will take a lot of pride swallowing on Cuban's part to decide to break up his roster. I mean he can get a few great pieces and try to compete w/ Dirk, but I feel like Dirk's career is soon to be over in 2-4 yrs and he will finish w/ only one ring. The Mavs draft picks haven't been so good as of late either. I think that Shane Larkin is a good pick and would love for Miami to trade for him, but that's not happening.

DetroitBadBoy
06-23-2014, 11:44 AM
Don't really see the fit with the Mavs...too soft. All they really need is that anchor on the defensive end. Chandler was a great fit next to Dirk.

Wade n Fade
06-23-2014, 11:50 AM
Gasol is the guy that Riley should be targeting for the Heat as that would seal LeBron's return and fill some needs that were exposed. I don't know if the full MLE would be enough to land him but if Wade/Bosh opt out of their contracts and take the paycut they should since it's the Big 1 now wouldn't that be enough to fit him in? Gasol will do what Bosh doesn't do anymore and that is provide a strong inside presence by hitting the boards and scoring in the post and not to mention Gasol is a far superior passer. Bosh will do what Gasol really doesn't which is take care of things on the defensive end, something that wouldn't work in playing Dirk and Gasol together, while still hanging out by the 3pt line to hit some open shots. Bosh has looked very small to me in the past two NBA Finals and East Finals in height and mass to Duncan/Hibbert so move him back to PF and Gasol to C. Gasol would take so much pressure off LeBron on the offensive end and on just that alone I would try to get him if I was Riley. Dallas could maybe move up a few spots in the West with him but Miami could win another title with him so I beleive Miami needs him more in the bigger picture.

Great post regarding Miami and Gasol. Now, the reality of it has to seep into Pau's mind. He wants to play for the Spurs, but the East is an easier ground to play on. If Presti pulls off some big moves, the Thunder can over take the Spurs in the West.

Thumper 88
06-23-2014, 12:00 PM
I don't think the Mavs will make a big splash in FA. It will take a lot of pride swallowing on Cuban's part to decide to break up his roster. I mean he can get a few great pieces and try to compete w/ Dirk, but I feel like Dirk's career is soon to be over in 2-4 yrs and he will finish w/ only one ring. The Mavs draft picks haven't been so good as of late either. I think that Shane Larkin is a good pick and would love for Miami to trade for him, but that's not happening.

Why do think Dirk only has few years left? This last season was his first full season back after surgery, I expect this next season to be even better.

Thumper 88
06-23-2014, 12:01 PM
Don't really see the fit with the Mavs...too soft. All they really need is that anchor on the defensive end. Chandler was a great fit next to Dirk.

Correct, Dallas needs more defense

shep33
06-23-2014, 12:10 PM
I want Pau on okc

kobe4thewinbang
06-23-2014, 12:50 PM
Gasol is a post presence unlike Dirk. I say it's a good move.
Only question is whether Gasol wants to become a Maverick.
Defense would be an issue, but Dallas has never really been defense-minded.

Thumper 88
06-23-2014, 02:01 PM
Gasol is a post presence unlike Dirk. I say it's a good move.
Only question is whether Gasol wants to become a Maverick.
Defense would be an issue, but Dallas has never really been defense-minded.

Right until 2011 when they won championship

Tony_Starks
06-23-2014, 02:56 PM
Carlisle is pretty creative with the Zone defense. As long as you can plug in defensive wings you could cover for the deficiencies of Gasol and Dirk.

For Gasol I really think it comes down to LA or Memphis though. A lot of that will depend on what happens with Z Bo though....

kozelkid
06-23-2014, 03:37 PM
Makes obvious sense. Some team is going to get Gasol in a steal. As a Bulls fan, i'd love to find a way to get him (along with Melo), though it's probably not very realistic.

Mr.B
06-23-2014, 05:44 PM
As a Mavs fan I wouldn't mind Pau joining the team. On the offensive side he brings more of a post game than Dirk does (although Dirks post game isn't bad). His defense is suspect though. Personally I'd rather they make a move to get Chandler. With Melo leaving the Knicks need to gut their roster in order to rebuild.

If the Mavs can resign Devin Harris, Vince, and Marion and then add Deng and Pau or Chandler I think that would put them as a top 4 team in the West. People knock their defense but it really wasn't bad last year. I mean they were the only team to take the Champions to 7 games.

And speaking of Deng I personally would also rather see the Mavs go after Chandler Parsons.

AddiX
06-23-2014, 06:22 PM
Its weird watching the mavs become this, "well take what we can get" team.

They use to be leaders in the nba in identifying and finding talent where no one else did. Always had stacked rosters, now they recycle the vets no one else really wants.

RocketsWin2013
06-23-2014, 06:25 PM
A Dirk-Pau frontcourt is easily the West's worst defensive one. Or at least a West playoff team.

Mr.B
06-23-2014, 06:32 PM
You guys have to remember that the Mavs still have Dalembert and Brandon Wright in the front court. They also will be resigning Blair.

Basically they will have the same team that took San Antonio to 7 games and will be adding Pau and likely Deng.

ManRam
06-23-2014, 06:35 PM
Pau isn't the defender he once was. A scary combination on that end...the bad type of scary. But they do have some solid defensive back up bigs. And both Pau and Dirk are probably 30 minute a game players at this point, so get the rotation right and it certainly is an improvement.