PDA

View Full Version : Rockets set to trade Lin and Asik

eternal slumber
06-21-2014, 02:13 PM
http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2014/06/rockets-trade-asik.html

https://twitter.com/sam_amick/statuses/480136034559074306

so if either LeBron or Carmelo decides to play for Houston, Asik and Lin are gone.

trade already in place. damn Morey!

Tony_Starks
06-21-2014, 02:19 PM
Set to trade them for what? Scrap metal? Starbucks gift cards?

ewing
06-21-2014, 02:22 PM
Scrap metal is very valuable

Stunner
06-21-2014, 02:23 PM
Ummmmm so idk how this helps the Knicks at all because I doubt they get a 1st rounder for a one year player without take cap back . And I guess they plan on signing Melo outright thus screwing NY because in a sign and trade they don't have any good 1st rounders and prob only give up Jones .

bleedprple&gold
06-21-2014, 02:29 PM
They act like they have a bunch of suitors lining up to acquire them and they can pull the trigger anytime. I call b.s.

Stunner
06-21-2014, 02:35 PM
They act like they have a bunch of suitors lining up to acquire them and they can pull the trigger anytime. I call b.s.

Me too I doubt they sign Melo out right in free agency and give up their two best sign and trade pieces

amak316
06-21-2014, 02:37 PM
They both are on expirings and Asik has positive trade value still. Lin's contract is also expiring and very movable if you throw in 1st rounder and a bit of cash to offset the poison pill. What rebuilding team with salary cap would say no to a rental of Lin to acquire a free asset? People seem to act like these guys have Amare deals.

goku
06-21-2014, 02:45 PM
Asik can actually be dealt not to many teams have decent Centers Lakers have Sacre starting ?? Celtics mavs could use him maybe the blazers they did a deal with the rockets last year to clear cap might have to throw in a pick with lin to make it more enticing and its not like you are stuck with Lin asik they are on the last yr of their deals I think it would have been harder to trade them last year thunder could even use asik over Perkins

don't know why ppl continue to doubt Morey when it comes to making moves

Stunner
06-21-2014, 02:46 PM
They both are on expirings and Asik has positive trade value still. Lin's contract is also expiring and very movable if you throw in 1st rounder and a bit of cash to offset the poison pill. What rebuilding team with salary cap would say no to a rental of Lin to acquire a free asset? People seem to act like these guys have Amare deals.

Not that many teams with cap space like that and willing to use it all up on one player that's not close to an all star talent .. That's stupid .

moshy2
06-21-2014, 02:48 PM
I'll take Asik. Don't know if we can give up enough to make it work with our TPE

goku
06-21-2014, 02:51 PM
Not that many teams with cap space like that and willing to use it all up on one player that's not close to an all star talent .. That's stupid .

the money come off next yr its not stupid

rockets-fan
06-21-2014, 02:55 PM

If morey says he has a trade set, then he has a trade set.

And those teams would only be using 8 mil on the cap, for Asik who is likely to resign anyways because he is a starting center in a lot of teams and he wants to play. So you get Asik and a rental on Lin for a no. Guaranteed contract or a pick or something of that nature...yes you do it. Not like they would have a chance at melo love or James , or they wouldn't even entertain the rockets offer obviously.

Stunner
06-21-2014, 02:57 PM
the money come off next yr its not stupid

It is from a competitive stand point , what team going to help another team with cap space knowing they want to get a star without taking picks ? Reports are Melo wants near a max right now ... Hou can't do that without a sign and trade . If they do clear space and then do a sign and trade for Melo NY gonna get back garbage because only jones and prob future picks will be had . They rather let him walk

rockets-fan
06-21-2014, 03:03 PM
It is from a competitive stand point , what team going to help another team with cap space knowing they want to get a star without taking picks ? Reports are Melo wants near a max right now ... Hou can't do that without a sign and trade . If they do clear space and then do a sign and trade for Melo NY gonna get back garbage because only jones and prob future picks will be had . They rather let him walk

You rather let melo walk if your New York than receive a young player with upside and picks ( which late or not, are value able)? What do you gain from that if your New York? Nothing. You'd be the worst GM

Stunner
06-21-2014, 03:11 PM
You rather let melo walk if your New York than receive a young player with upside and picks ( which late or not, are value able)? What do you gain from that if your New York? Nothing. You'd be the worst GM

I'm saying to get rid of Lin and Asik you would be sending a pick too because they know your gameplan . Possibly a pick this year sent to another team instead of NY . What do future picks do for NY when they're trying to get picks in the current draft ?

RocketsWin2013
06-21-2014, 03:14 PM
$8mil cap hits each. Expiring contracts. Asik is an elite NBA defender at the C position which is not easy to find.

Lin is a cash cow and brings a ridiculously huge asian market to owners.

Just reasons they can have people ready to trade for them.

PurpleLynch
06-21-2014, 03:14 PM
Let's see who's the fool that's gonna take Lin's contract.

Blitzace137
06-21-2014, 03:19 PM
Damn Morey if your gonna take Melo from us at least give us back some assets in a S&T. Lin,Asik,Jones or Parsons plus a first for Melo and JR is a fair deal for both teams IMO.

astonmartin10
06-21-2014, 03:20 PM
Morey probably saying this to increase trade traffic.

Some teams might be interested in Asik but later on in the off-season.

RocketsWin2013
06-21-2014, 03:21 PM
Damn Morey if your gonna take Melo from us at least give us back some assets in a S&T. Lin,Asik,Jones or Parsons plus a first for Melo and JR is a fair deal for both teams IMO.

lol JR

rockets-fan
06-21-2014, 03:21 PM
I'm saying to get rid of Lin and Asik you would be sending a pick too because they know your gameplan . Possibly a pick this year sent to another team instead of NY . What do future picks do for NY when they're trying to get picks in the current draft ?

They can try all they want, they won't get them, not "high" ones at least.Houston would give this years pick, and a future who knows. You take what you can get (if it's a positive) for a guy leaving. Plain and simple. Jones and a pick is a positive for NY

Blitzace137
06-21-2014, 03:22 PM
Let's see who's the fool that's gonna take Lin's contract.

A fool that wants to increase revenue, Lin on a team with cap space makes a lot of sense for one year.

Blitzace137
06-21-2014, 03:23 PM
lol JR

fine take Felton lmao.

rockets-fan
06-21-2014, 03:35 PM

I don't like JR but I'd take it if Melo came with him.

Bev
Harden
Parsons
Melo
Howard

With JR as a sixth man, we need scoring off the bench. Maybe being on a contender will motivate him to get his act together.

Lin, Asik, jones, and a first?

Sandman
06-21-2014, 03:37 PM

idk what the deals are in place but there is a salary floor as well. It is not mandatory but if you don't reach it you don't get your cut of rev sharing.

adding a guy on an expiring deal might not be too bad

Blitzace137
06-21-2014, 03:43 PM
I don't like JR but I'd take it if Melo came with him.

Bev
Harden
Parsons
Melo
Howard

With JR as a sixth man, we need scoring off the bench. Maybe being on a contender will motivate him to get his act together.

Lin, Asik, jones, and a first?

JR off the bench makes a lot of sense for you guys. I'd do it or Lin,Asik,Jones and a first.

BenFrank
06-21-2014, 04:03 PM
I bet it's 2 teams from the East that would take the contracts.. I would believe Philly is one b/c of the Hinkie connection' and Asik was on his Radar.. I could see the Bucks targeting Lin just to give there fan base something to cheer about lol, shoo the Raptors might have a interest in Lin if Lowry leaves, and they could pare him up with his good old buddy.. Landry Fields..

BenFrank
06-21-2014, 04:07 PM
JR off the bench makes a lot of sense for you guys. I'd do it or Lin,Asik,Jones and a first.

I would do that trade as a Rockets Fan, I would prefer Shumpert over JR.. but if it's a deal breaker' just give me JR

Arch Stanton
06-21-2014, 04:14 PM
I'd take Asik, but have ZERO interest in Lin.

Dade County
06-21-2014, 04:23 PM
Lol... Why would one of these trade partners, wait until the rockets can pitch to one of the players that they are targeting?

They wouldn't.

One by one these suppose trade partners would start making moves that benefit their organization; haven't you posters learned by now. Everyone will get played just like 2010.

All of these guys know already where they are going to go.

Denverbronco007
06-21-2014, 04:38 PM

I honestly think that is way to much to give up for Melo

Bostonjorge
06-21-2014, 05:04 PM
Asik and Lin have been on trade block for over a year. I don't remember any team offering anything for them.

amos1er
06-21-2014, 05:08 PM
Asik and Lin have been on trade block for over a year. I don't remember any team offering anything for them.

Perhaps for Asik... Lin is vastly overpaid... Though he is expiring this year.

Sandman
06-21-2014, 05:16 PM

because of their contracts that are now expiring

elledaddy
06-21-2014, 05:28 PM
[QUOTE=RocketsWin2013;28656948]$8mil cap hits each. Expiring contracts. Asik is an elite NBA defender at the C position which is not easy to find.

Lin is a cash cow and brings a ridiculously huge asian market to owners.

Just reasons they can have people ready to trade for

^

RocketsWin2013
06-21-2014, 05:29 PM
Cap hit is 8 mill for Houston, a lil more than 15 to any other team. That was the who reason for the "poison pill" contract. They did it to screw teams in the final year but it may come back to screw them.
No. the 15 mil is not a cap hit for any team. It's $8 mil for the team, 7 for the owners.

beasted86
06-21-2014, 05:41 PM
It will be a lot harder top trade these guys than most of you think. You guys are selling the supposed positives of a 1yr rental of an $8M contract, but don't realize while their cap hit is $8M, the actual amount the team acquiring them will have to pay them is $15M.

How many team's cheap owners are willing to not only give up their cap space for a year, but also write $15M in payment checks for a player they don't really want?

Verbal Christ
06-21-2014, 06:07 PM
If they (ROX) sign LBJ or Melo this board will blow up.

IndyRealist
06-21-2014, 06:20 PM
http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2014/06/rockets-trade-asik.html

https://twitter.com/sam_amick/statuses/480136034559074306

so if either LeBron or Carmelo decides to play for Houston, Asik and Lin are gone.

trade already in place. damn Morey!
FYI, anti-malware programs block the first link.

IndyRealist
06-21-2014, 06:21 PM
Cap hit is 8 mill for Houston, a lil more than 15 to any other team. That was the whole reason for the "poison pill" contract. You cant "poison" any team with an 8 mill cap hit. They did it to screw teams in the final year but it may come back to screw them.

PS. Any money made by the "asian market" aka over seas is shared between all NBA owners, not just the team who has Lin. He would theorethically only help if more "asians " bought tickets to attend your games or buy directly from the arena

That's not actually how it works at all.

tr3ymill3r
06-21-2014, 06:30 PM
It's easy to believe that quite a few teams want Asik for his on the court talents, while others might hope that they can bottle Linsanity by giving him his own team.

mdm692
06-21-2014, 06:30 PM
This has mega blockbuster 4 team trade written all over it. (GSW-MIN-HOU-NY).

Blitzace137
06-21-2014, 06:35 PM
If they (ROX) sign LBJ or Melo this board will blow up.

Rockets would be the most hated team in the NBA with Howard and LBJ or Melo lol.

Blitzace137
06-21-2014, 06:37 PM

Not really were taking Lin and Asik off their hands and Jones is a nice player but not a star, at least not yet, the first will be a late pick, it's fair imo.

NBA_Starter
06-21-2014, 08:49 PM
Now that is some quick moving!

JLynn943
06-21-2014, 09:13 PM
Could definitely see the Kings going after Asik. He's what is needed next to Cousins.

Asik's better
06-21-2014, 09:29 PM
Not really. It also allows the rockets to resign parsons to be a 6th man.

THE MTL
06-21-2014, 09:38 PM
I call BS. This is the same Lin/Asik who they tried all season to trade and failed.

Uncle Chuck
06-21-2014, 09:53 PM
No. the 15 mil is not a cap hit for any team. It's $8 mil for the team, 7 for the owners.

What GM wants to go to his owner and say "we can get this rental player that will run you $15 mil for one season, but we'll get a late first round draft pick to cover the difference"

You can buy a draft pick for a 10th of that price.

likemystylez
06-21-2014, 09:58 PM
I call BS. This is the same Lin/Asik who they tried all season to trade and failed.

well its rare that a team goes out and signs two players in the same off season to atrocious contracts (and knows they are pretty bad at the time)

theducksmuggler
06-21-2014, 10:27 PM
76ers Receive:
Asik
#25 pick

Rockets Receive:
#32 pick
#39 pick
I think the Rockets do it because they would need to get rid of money to be able to sign Lebron/Melo and dropping 7 picks for them is not to much but the huge upside of the non guaranteed contract for them is huge plus they get another pick in 2nd to fill their bench...76ers do it we get a good big man for a year and they could possibly flip him to a contender for a good haul next year if he starts off hot, plus we get another 1st rounder idk if this would get it done for them but i would throw in Wroten or someone else or more picks to get it done.

Asik's better
06-21-2014, 10:30 PM
Well he didn't fail. Asik to celtics was a done deal but DM decided to stick with Asik off the bench.

gatkins11
06-21-2014, 10:40 PM
Not really. It also allows the rockets to resign parsons to be a 6th man.

Doubt being a sixth man interests Parsons.

Blitzace137
06-21-2014, 11:12 PM

Agreed Houston is better off giving us Parsons instead of Jones, it would take away from his development, he's still a young player. Re-signing Parsons at 10-12 million to come off the bench makes no sense for the Rockets.

Stunner
06-21-2014, 11:20 PM
Agreed Houston is better off giving us Parsons instead of Jones, it would take away from his development, he's still a young player. Re-signing Parsons at 10-12 million to come off the bench makes no sense for the Rockets.

Phil really gonna think Parsons is worth 10-12 million ?

Kashmir13579
06-21-2014, 11:23 PM
Damn Morey if your gonna take Melo from us at least give us back some assets in a S&T. Lin,Asik,Jones or Parsons plus a first for Melo and JR is a fair deal for both teams IMO. Lin is a knick 4 life regardless

deaner
06-22-2014, 01:28 AM
Lin is a knick 4 life regardless

don't be so hateful.... he's better than that

Tony_Starks
06-22-2014, 03:41 AM
Morey has been trying to sell this story for over a year to no avail. Nobody outside of Houston thinks either of these players are worth their contracts. Asik is serviceable at best and Lin is a backup PG....

Kashmir13579
06-22-2014, 03:53 AM
Nobody outside of Houston thinks either of these players are worth their contracts..... that doesn't really matter with expiring contracts

IKnowHoops
06-22-2014, 04:09 AM
Morey has been trying to sell this story for over a year to no avail. Nobody outside of Houston thinks either of these players are worth their contracts. Asik is serviceable at best and Lin is a backup PG....

Remember when Lin absolutely did Kobe

Pakman
06-22-2014, 04:37 AM
Remember when Lin absolutely did Kobe
nice try troll. u mean when he did in a D-league lvl point guard. gtfoh with that

Blitzace137
06-22-2014, 05:50 AM
Lin is a knick 4 life regardless

For sure but I wanna see Linsanity part 2 if he's back in a knick uniform.

Blitzace137
06-22-2014, 05:52 AM
Phil really gonna think Parsons is worth 10-12 million ?

That's his market value. Parsons at 10 is not too bad but who knows what Phil would want. He'd probably take Jones over Parsons if he had the choice.

JNA17
06-22-2014, 06:39 AM
Except the problem here is more than just finding suitors that want Lin and Asik, it's the fact that other teams know that if they free up those contracts, they can outright sign Lebron.

So why would any team help the Rockets here? I don't believe many teams are starving for a backup center and a point guard with a poison pill contract. And even if they are, no way they would help them in a deal where they would end up with Lebron.

The only realistic player they can get here is Melo and that's only because the Knicks would very much like to get value out of Melo in a sign and trade. Which would require a Parsons/Asik/Lin for Melo type of trade.

torocan
06-22-2014, 06:49 AM
So why would any team help the Rockets here? I don't believe many teams are starving for a backup center and a point guard with a poison pill contract. And even if they are, no way they would help them in a deal where they would end up with Lebron.

Any number of teams in the Eastern Conference would do it just to get Lebron out of the conference.

Take Lebron out of the East and it's a wide open race to the ECF. Any team that makes a significant acquisition would be right in the mix.

And while the team in the West that got Lebron would be the favorite to get out the West, the West is so tough that there's no guarantees that any team, even WITH Lebron would even get to the Finals. They would still have to go through SAS, OKC, Clippers, Houston, Memphis, etc.

So yes, I could see teams in the East helping Houston, GSW, Clippers, etc. After all, if you don't think you're going to be good enough to win the Finals, at least you can make it easier on yourself to GET to the Finals....

Uncle Chuck
06-22-2014, 07:03 AM
that doesn't really matter with expiring contracts

Expiring contracts are way overplayed here. They are valuable to a team who needs to get money off the books. Houston isn't taking money back in these deals.

Unless someone really thinks the Knicks are going to do a Melo sign and trade and take Asik/Lin, aka 30 million dollar commitment, back in return. I'd love to hear that one explained...

JNA17
06-22-2014, 07:09 AM
Any number of teams in the Eastern Conference would do it just to get Lebron out of the conference.

Take Lebron out of the East and it's a wide open race to the ECF. Any team that makes a significant acquisition would be right in the mix.

And while the team in the West that got Lebron would be the favorite to get out the West, the West is so tough that there's no guarantees that any team, even WITH Lebron would even get to the Finals. They would still have to go through SAS, OKC, Clippers, Houston, Memphis, etc.

So yes, I could see teams in the East helping Houston, GSW, Clippers, etc. After all, if you don't think you're going to be good enough to win the Finals, at least you can make it easier on yourself to GET to the Finals....

That doesn't make much sense though. Those same teams in the East would want Lebron just as much as they would want him out. And even if that's true, they wouldn't help the Rockets form a super team and then lose to them in the Finals.

Yes that's true, and seeing Lebron finally competing in a conference that will no longer be a cake walk would be interesting, but that doesn't really help the fact that the East would still be so bad to a point where they would pretty much lose to any team in the West in the Finals.

Getting to the finals and winning it is different. Until the East gets more star players on that side of the conference, Lebron out of the East would just make it worse. Seriously it would be a joke. There was no team in the East besides the Heat that could compete against ANY of the Western playoff teams. Not one single team in the East, that's how much of a joke that conference is.

The only way the Rockets MAYBE having a realistic shot at Lebron is doing a sign and trade with the Heat with the same package they would have to pull off for Melo: Parsons/Lin/Asik.

That's pretty much the only team that would help them because then the Heat could go with:

Lin
Wade
Parsons
Bosh
Asik

Which is actually a pretty solid lineup if Bosh can finally be used correctly and Wade gets healthier for next season.

...actually funny enough, that lineup looks better then the Heat with Lebron, no joke lol. That team could fit together almost perfectly.

Huh...maybe it's possible after all lol.

Asik's better
06-22-2014, 07:12 AM

Dosnt matter what interests parsons he is a restricted free agent. It's what the rockets want and if the rockets have a chance to get either Lebron or melo and parsons they won't care how much they have to pay.

Lo Porto
06-22-2014, 09:28 AM
Last year, the Jazz took $20+ million of expiring contracts from Golden State (Jefferson, Biedrins and Brandon Rush). They got 2 firsts for doing so.

Asik and Lin are better players than all of them but the Rockets still need to dump them. Somebody would gladly take a first for taking Lin and I bet the Rockets would have to send out a first to dump Asik too. And it wouldn't shock me to see Utah as the team taking one or both of them and gain those assets.

torocan
06-22-2014, 10:10 AM
That doesn't make much sense though. Those same teams in the East would want Lebron just as much as they would want him out. And even if that's true, they wouldn't help the Rockets form a super team and then lose to them in the Finals.

Yes that's true, and seeing Lebron finally competing in a conference that will no longer be a cake walk would be interesting, but that doesn't really help the fact that the East would still be so bad to a point where they would pretty much lose to any team in the West in the Finals.

Getting to the finals and winning it is different. Until the East gets more star players on that side of the conference, Lebron out of the East would just make it worse. Seriously it would be a joke. There was no team in the East besides the Heat that could compete against ANY of the Western playoff teams. Not one single team in the East, that's how much of a joke that conference is.

The only way the Rockets MAYBE having a realistic shot at Lebron is doing a sign and trade with the Heat with the same package they would have to pull off for Melo: Parsons/Lin/Asik.

That's pretty much the only team that would help them because then the Heat could go with:

Lin
Wade
Parsons
Bosh
Asik

Which is actually a pretty solid lineup if Bosh can finally be used correctly and Wade gets healthier for next season.

...actually funny enough, that lineup looks better then the Heat with Lebron, no joke lol. That team could fit together almost perfectly.

We have to remember the list of teams that can actually get Lebron is very, very short. If you're not in the LBJ sweepstakes, getting Lebron into the West isn't a bad consolation prize.

And let's not forget that making the East even more of a cakewalk AND having Lebron in the West will have long lasting impacts on Free Agency. It will make it MUCH more attractive for those East teams to pick up some of the bigger players when they know that the West is even more of a buzz saw than it is now.

While the financial hit to the owner's pocket books of the Asik/Lin balloon payments are significant, the opportunity to pick up draft picks or other young players with upside will tempt at least a few franchises. Toss in the Asik is a solid defensive center with very good help defense, and that Lin is a serviceable point guard and it's easy to see any number of potential scenario's where a team would take on one of those players whether out of roster need, or to get a leg up on rebuilding.

We shouldn't forget that Houston has multiple players on rookie/minimum contracts as well as picks that they can package. We all know that Rookie contracts are grossly under priced. Any number of younger players could act as sweetener to equalize the dollar value.

We should have all learned by now from the Bargnani/Joe Johnson experiences that almost NO contract can not be moved if you're willing to put together the right trade package. To slot the Asik or Lin contracts in the same category as an Amare Stoudemire (unmovable) is a serious misjudgement of two players who are at least serviceable rotation players.

mightybosstone
06-22-2014, 10:10 AM
First off, you're seriously underrating Asik's value. That dude is probably a top 10-15 starting caliber center in this league. Teams may not be willing to offer the world to a guy for one year, but for one year with the chance to re-sign him with his Bird rights, it's totally worth it. And with Houston trying to deal him and take no cap in return, a team could get him for probably a late 1st or early 2nd rounder for pennies on the dollar.

Lin is a little more complicated, but he's not a starting caliber player and his contract does suck. But if Houston were to throw in a first rounder, what cellar dweller wouldn't take a chance at a popular player with international appeal whose contract expires AND they can get a first rounder in return?

You're making it sound as if these teams would be doing Houston a favor and getting nothing in return. That's simply not the case.

The only realistic player they can get here is Melo and that's only because the Knicks would very much like to get value out of Melo in a sign and trade. Which would require a Parsons/Asik/Lin for Melo type of trade.
Again, this simply isn't true. If Lebron wants to come to Houston, Daryl Morey could very easily make that happen. This is the same guy who has already trade raped half the league. You don't think he could find buyers for Lin and Asik's expiring contracts if he substantially lowers his asking price?

Except 70-80% of the teams in the East have no chance in hell of signing Lebron. The only teams with even remote chances would probably be New York, Cleveland and Chicago. You're insane if you think Lebron is going to Milwaukee, Philadelphia or Atlanta. It just isn't happening.

This is probably true, but if the Eastern Conference front office's were better at their jobs, they wouldn't be in this predicament in the first place. Plus, you're assuming that Lebron is coming to the West there would be no decent teams in the East. But if Lebron goes to Houston, something tells me that Melo moves to Chicago. That Bulls team would be insanely dangerous, and you'd still have a pretty damn talented Indiana team if they can ever get their **** together.

Mark my words. Parsons is NOT going to be dealt for Melo. I could see a scenario where Houston could maybe use him as an incentive in a sign and trade to get Lebron. But the Knicks have little to no leverage to get a player of Parsons caliber in a sign and trade. Jones? Sure. Maybe even Beverley. But not Parsons.

Lin
Wade
Parsons
Bosh
Asik

That Miami team would be good enough to be a 3-4 seed and maybe make a run at the conference finals. But to suggest they'd be better than a team with Lebron James is completely ****ing insane.

beasted86
06-22-2014, 11:27 AM

Lin
Wade
Parsons
Bosh
Asik

Micky Arison is not paying Lin and Asik $30M dollars.

Matter of fact I feel completely confident saying no owner in the entire NBA will be paying these guys $30M next year unless it's the Rockets owner.

It's one thing to take one of these guys and pay him an extra $7M on top of his cap hit, but surely not two. Like I've said before... everyone keeps focusing on their cap hit only... but forget that their payment checks are a real financial concern for any team trading for them.

Crunch Time
06-22-2014, 11:33 AM
Other teams might consider doing it because the cap hit for Asik/Lin comes to be only around 16.6m,

kobe4thewinbang
06-22-2014, 01:34 PM
I doubt anything happens. Melo prefers Chicago to Houston from everything I've read, and he still might resign with New York.

Hawkeye15
06-22-2014, 02:31 PM
haven't read any of this thread, but the Rockets, if they can move Lin, Morey should win GM of the year for it.

Asik can easily be moved. He could start for a number of teams.

Even though the cap would only be hit with just over $8 million on both, Lin getting paid $15 million is probably tough to swallow for anyone.

mightybosstone
06-22-2014, 02:43 PM
Micky Arison is not paying Lin and Asik $30M dollars.

Matter of fact I feel completely confident saying no owner in the entire NBA will be paying these guys $30M next year unless it's the Rockets owner.

It's one thing to take one of these guys and pay him an extra $7M on top of his cap hit, but surely not two. Like I've said before... everyone keeps focusing on their cap hit only... but forget that their payment checks are a real financial concern for any team trading for them.
Consider this scenario. Suppose Lebron goes to the front office and says, "There's nothing you can do. I'm not coming back to Miami. I want to go to Houston." Now the Rockets can get Lebron by dealing off Lin and Asik's contracts individually and sign Lebron outright, not giving Miami back a dime in return. OR the Heat can take whatever the Rockets are willing to give. If you're in that situation and Houston is offering up Asik, Lin, Parsons and a couple of future first rounders, you take that deal in a heartbeat and you don't think twice about it.

haven't read any of this thread, but the Rockets, if they can move Lin, Morey should win GM of the year for it.

Asik can easily be moved. He could start for a number of teams.

Even though the cap would only be hit with just over $8 million on both, Lin getting paid $15 million is probably tough to swallow for anyone.
Nobody is just going to take Lin's contract without some incentive. But if you're a rebuilding team with cap to spare and Houston offers you Lin and a future first for a conditional 2nd round pick, you'd gladly take that deal.

Tony_Starks
06-22-2014, 03:36 PM
Bottom line is Houston is stuck with these guys for now. The best move they can make is watch as they both have the best season of their career since its a contract year. By allstar break someone will bite on Asik because there's a drought of decent bigs.

Nobody wants Lin but he just might prove to be good enough to be a really solid 6th man for a year before he heads back to NY via FA.

ccg34
06-22-2014, 04:17 PM
I don't understand why people are so down on Lin. It's not like he sucks. He still put up 13 ppg and 4 apg. That's solid. I can see him putting up 16 ppg with another team. Him and Harden don't play well together. Lins problem is that he defers to others rather then being aggressive himself. When he plays with aggressiveness he is a capable starting pg in the NBA.

Kashmir13579
06-22-2014, 04:28 PM
nice try troll. u mean when he did in a D-league lvl point guard. gtfoh with that somebody wasn't paying attention

RocketsWin2013
06-22-2014, 05:15 PM
Teams are valuing 1st-rd picks -- even late 1st -- that no one wants to sell them. NY might not even be able to buy an early 2nd-rounder

Howard Beck (@HowardBeck) June 22, 2014 (https://twitter.com/HowardBeck/statuses/480806942277771264)

Well now I have a serious reason to watch the draft. This makes it so much easier to unload Lin and Asik. That 1st rounder(25th) is probably worth what a mid-1st would be worth in other drafts. Simply because the draft is so damn deep, nobody is trading them.

Shlumpledink
06-22-2014, 05:28 PM
If you are taking on expiring contracts, you usually wait til the trade deadline to do that. You don't take on expirings at the start of the year, typically. So teams looking for Lin's expiring will trade with them at the deadline, provided they're out of contention at that time (if you're in the east, you might be able to make the playoffs even with a losing record, so you may be more reticent to trade even if you're out of contention)

mightybosstone
06-22-2014, 05:39 PM
Bottom line is Houston is stuck with these guys for now. The best move they can make is watch as they both have the best season of their career since its a contract year. By allstar break someone will bite on Asik because there's a drought of decent bigs.

Nobody wants Lin but he just might prove to be good enough to be a really solid 6th man for a year before he heads back to NY via FA.

I don't get it. Why are they stuck with them? These guys are expiring contracts who could contribute as the 4th or 5th best player on a good basketball team. Hell, Asik's deal isn't even a bad one. $8 million a year for a top 10 defensive and rebounding center who can play elite level defense for 30+ minutes a night is a damn good deal and the team that gets him add his Bird rights. As for Lin, the guy is a mediocre basketball player who shouldn't start, but he's a decent 6th man in a pinch, he brings your squad a little extra media attention and he expires after next season.

I see no reason to believe that Morey couldn't deal these guys as long as he's willing to drop his asking price or add a little extra incentive for a team to pick them up. Look at what Golden State was able to do with all the awful contract they had on the books last offseason. I'd much rather have Lin or Asik for a year than Biedrins or Jefferson.

RocketsWin2013
06-22-2014, 05:49 PM
I don't get it. Why are they stuck with them? These guys are expiring contracts who could contribute as the 4th or 5th best player on a good basketball team. Hell, Asik's deal isn't even a bad one. $8 million a year for a top 10 defensive and rebounding center who can play elite level defense for 30+ minutes a night is a damn good deal and the team that gets him add his Bird rights. As for Lin, the guy is a mediocre basketball player who shouldn't start, but he's a decent 6th man in a pinch, he brings your squad a little extra media attention and he expires after next season.

I see no reason to believe that Morey couldn't deal these guys as long as he's willing to drop his asking price or add a little extra incentive for a team to pick them up. Look at what Golden State was able to do with all the awful contract they had on the books last offseason. I'd much rather have Lin or Asik for a year than Biedrins or Jefferson.

Yeah I have no doubt they can get the deal(s) done but it's really the timing of it is what's tough.

beasted86
06-22-2014, 05:51 PM
Consider this scenario. Suppose Lebron goes to the front office and says, "There's nothing you can do. I'm not coming back to Miami. I want to go to Houston." Now the Rockets can get Lebron by dealing off Lin and Asik's contracts individually and sign Lebron outright, not giving Miami back a dime in return. OR the Heat can take whatever the Rockets are willing to give. If you're in that situation and Houston is offering up Asik, Lin, Parsons and a couple of future first rounders, you take that deal in a heartbeat and you don't think twice about it.

Nobody is just going to take Lin's contract without some incentive. But if you're a rebuilding team with cap to spare and Houston offers you Lin and a future first for a conditional 2nd round pick, you'd gladly take that deal.

No, the HEAT are one of the supposed "big market" teams and have to pay crappy smaller market teams to exist in the NBA. That was David Stern's last move to screw the HEAT.

Under no circumstances am I paying Lin and Asik $30M on top of giving Parsons his extension money. Then resign Wade and Bosh.

The team's payroll would be way higher than last year, while having a much weaker team. It's a plain idiot's financial move. Not to troll, but it's a "Knicks" move (under their old management).

I'll take a couple first for a LeBron sign and trade, and let them clear their own cap space. And you better bet your life on it LeBron wants his Bird Right raise and the most money he can get knowing that Dwight Howard is making way more money than he is, and maybe even Harden. That's another factor nobody wants to talk about...whether LeBron is supposed to be okay with his teammates being paid more whether that's Houston or the Clippers... But that's another thread.

Sandman
06-22-2014, 06:09 PM

the Heat aren't going to take that back. youre going to have to get rid of those guys first.

Sandman
06-22-2014, 06:11 PM
Well now I have a serious reason to watch the draft. This makes it so much easier to unload Lin and Asik. That 1st rounder(25th) is probably worth what a mid-1st would be worth in other drafts. Simply because the draft is so damn deep, nobody is trading them.

that is just this year's draft, and you said it yourself. It is worth a mid round pick. I'm not sure if a mid round pick is worth 15m dollars.

I'm not saying y'all can't get rid of them, but it is not a given.

torocan
06-22-2014, 06:25 PM
that is just this year's draft, and you said it yourself. It is worth a mid round pick. I'm not sure if a mid round pick is worth 15m dollars.

It is if you're already in the luxury tax.

In a S&T Houston can do a 125% salary sign. IE, send out $16M in salary and take back $20M in salary (as they are under the salary cap). That $4M difference in cap hit is added to by the luxury tax.

The Knicks are sitting on $91M in guaranteed salaries going into next year with Anthony slotted to make $23M if you give him the max to retain him.

The current Luxury Tax apron is $63.2M. For every dollar over $10M over the cap ($73.2M) the Knicks are paying $2.50 per dollar. For every dollar above $15M over the cap ($78.2M), the Knicks are paying $3.25 in luxury tax.

So, saving $4M in salary cap works out to $4M in salary + $13M in luxury tax for the Knicks.

So yes, the Knicks pay more salary in terms of the $15M poison pill (think of it $8.3M with 80% luxury tax), but it's STILL less than every dollar they pay to keep Melo (200-300% per dollar).

Cap vs non-cap dollars make a difference once you're over the luxury tax threshold.

Sandman
06-22-2014, 06:28 PM
It is if you're already in the luxury tax.

In a S&T Houston can do a 125% salary sign. IE, send out $16M in salary and take back $20M in salary (as they are under the salary cap). That $4M difference in cap hit is added to by the luxury tax.

The Knicks are sitting on $91M in guaranteed salaries going into next year with Anthony slotted to make $23M if you give him the max to retain him.

The current Luxury Tax apron is $63.2M. For every dollar over $10M over the cap ($73.2M) the Knicks are paying $2.50 per dollar. For every dollar above $15M over the cap ($78.2M), the Knicks are paying $3.25 in luxury tax.

So, saving $4M in salary cap works out to $4M in salary + $13M in luxury tax for the Knicks.

So yes, the Knicks pay more salary in terms of the $15M poison pill (think of it $8.3M with 45% luxury tax), but it's STILL less than every dollar they pay to keep Melo (200-300% per dollar).

Cap vs non-cap dollars make a difference once you're over the luxury tax threshold.

you can't compare it to the cost of melo because you obviously won't get the same return.

I could see the Knicks doing that, I can't see the Heat doing that.

and at that point, you still might need Chicago to buy out Boozer. If the only way Melo goes to Houston is via sign and trade, you will have to force the Knicks hand.

If there's no real threat of Melo walking to the Magic or some team with cap space, the Knicks aren't going to help him get to Houston.

Blitzace137
06-22-2014, 06:28 PM

Disagree, I don't think the Heats would take them back but Asik could be traded easily , they already had a deal set with Celtics before Morey pulled out, if they really wanted to get rid of Lin all Morey has to do is attach a first rounder with him.

Blitzace137
06-22-2014, 06:31 PM
you can't compare it to the cost of melo because you obviously won't get the same return.

and at that point, you still might need Chicago to buy out Boozer. If the only way Melo goes to Houston is via sign and trade, you will have to force the Knicks hand.

If there's no real threat of Melo walking to the Magic or some team with cap space, the Knicks aren't going to help him get to Houston.

Maybe but would Phil want to force Melo to come back to NY?

Sandman
06-22-2014, 06:31 PM
Disagree, I don't think the Heats would take them back but Asik could be traded easily , they already had a deal set with Celtics before Morey pulled out, if they really wanted to get rid of Lin all Morey has to do is attach a first rounder with him.
not disagreeing at all, its just not going to happen with the Heat IMO

torocan
06-22-2014, 06:34 PM

You don't have to compare since the other option is losing Melo for nothing or a potentially similar/worse trade deal with Chicago (they still have to salary match).

And I agree, I don't see Miami taking the deal directly. They would need a 3rd team, but it's far from impossible. Neither Lin or Asik is $15M overpaid. You could argue that one or the other is overpaid anywhere from $5-10M depending on how you value them as players, but then you're talking what is the value in trade of $5-10M?

Picks + players on rookie deals is enough to get it done, especially if the team has a need or feels that they may want to re-sign either player as they're both expiring contracts.

Blitzace137
06-22-2014, 06:45 PM
not disagreeing at all, its just not going to happen with the Heat IMO

Yea I agree with that.

Sandman
06-22-2014, 06:50 PM
Maybe but would Phil want to force Melo to come back to NY?

maybe, maybe not. its still a new can of worms if Melo can't walk somewhere. in that case, screw houston, go get the haul Golden State is offering for Love. I always thought Iguodola was the perfect combo for Melo and they have a lot more too.

mightybosstone
06-22-2014, 07:00 PM
No, the HEAT are one of the supposed "big market" teams and have to pay crappy smaller market teams to exist in the NBA. That was David Stern's last move to screw the HEAT.

Under no circumstances am I paying Lin and Asik $30M on top of giving Parsons his extension money. Then resign Wade and Bosh.

The team's payroll would be way higher than last year, while having a much weaker team. It's a plain idiot's financial move. Not to troll, but it's a "Knicks" move (under their old management).

I'll take a couple first for a LeBron sign and trade, and let them clear their own cap space. And you better bet your life on it LeBron wants his Bird Right raise and the most money he can get knowing that Dwight Howard is making way more money than he is, and maybe even Harden. That's another factor nobody wants to talk about...whether LeBron is supposed to be okay with his teammates being paid more whether that's Houston or the Clippers... But that's another thread.

the Heat aren't going to take that back. youre going to have to get rid of those guys first.
Wow.... I'm stunned by how much you guys are underrating Chandler Parsons. You'd rather Lebron walk away for nothing at all than get Parsons, a solid defensive center, two expiring contracts and some picks in return. That's insane. As for the whole "Lebron getting paid less than Howard or Harden" point, it's a moot one. If Houston got rid of Lin and Asik's contract and Garcia doesn't pick up his option, the Rockets could offer Lebron pretty much a max deal. If he gets a max deal at his age and experience, he'd be making more than Harden and Howard.

Sandman
06-22-2014, 07:11 PM
Wow.... I'm stunned by how much you guys are underrating Chandler Parsons. You'd rather Lebron walk away for nothing at all than get Parsons, a solid defensive center, two expiring contracts and some picks in return. That's insane. As for the whole "Lebron getting paid less than Howard or Harden" point, it's a moot one. If Houston got rid of Lin and Asik's contract and Garcia doesn't pick up his option, the Rockets could offer Lebron pretty much a max deal. If he gets a max deal at his age and experience, he'd be making more than Harden and Howard.
its the owner more than anything else

though it would be AMAZING if a bosh/wade/lin/asik/parsons team won a title without lebron.

Riley would need to sit on the bench though.

cssdmark
06-22-2014, 07:25 PM
that doesn't really matter with expiring contracts
If that is the case we are in the gold, Amare, Chandler and Bargs are all expiring. For some reason those expirings do not seem to be worth anything.

cssdmark
06-22-2014, 07:32 PM
;((())) it let Melo walk, what these teams are offering is equivalent to nothing anyway. Lin Asik, Butler, Snell next years pick which would obviously not be a high pick. Let those teams gms make the necessary moves to get him and then tip your hat and say good job. I do not want pieces that will not fit in the triangle just to get something and I do believe Phil sees it the same way

cssdmark
06-22-2014, 07:37 PM
Parsons is a 4-5 mil a year player who will command more than that and will just be a cap space hindrance if you sign him for more than that,

cssdmark
06-22-2014, 07:39 PM
What if Garcia picks up his option. What incentive does he have to not pick it up.

beasted86
06-22-2014, 07:48 PM

No, that team sucks defensively and would cost the owner over $80M in gross payroll plus repeater tax payments. Maybe $100M once you add it all together. Might as well be teaching Idiot's Finance 101 if you take that deal.

Obviously taking Parsons only and dumping the other two on another unsuspecting victim is not an option.

Kashmir13579
06-22-2014, 07:58 PM
If that is the case we are in the gold, Amare, Chandler and Bargs are all expiring. you don't say?

cssdmark
06-22-2014, 08:24 PM
you don't say?
Now I am excited I cannot wait to see who lines up for these contracts maybe we can get Cleveland's 1st

likemystylez
06-22-2014, 08:48 PM
maybe, maybe not. its still a new can of worms if Melo can't walk somewhere. in that case, screw houston, go get the haul Golden State is offering for Love. I always thought Iguodola was the perfect combo for Melo and they have a lot more too.

I havent heard anything about the warriors being interested in Melo. They are trying to get away from the whole isolation basketball that melo loves. (granted- melo is pretty good at it). LOL- if mark jackson were still around- it would make sense. He loved running isolations all day- its a horrible way to play ball- but if your gonna do it- might as well get someone whos decent at it.

Overall though- the spurs just proved why ball movement is a lot better than isolation ball. its harder to defend.

torocan
06-22-2014, 09:32 PM
What if Garcia picks up his option. What incentive does he have to not pick it up.

Sam Amick reporting that Garcia already intends to decline his option.

He's on minimum already, so the Rockets can pick him back up at vet minimum if they choose. Or he can go to another team.

Sam Amick @sam_amick 5h

Addendum No. 2 on Houston (a day after No. 1):Agent Aaron Goodwin says Francisco Garcia still intends to pass up $1.3 ml option for '14-15

https://twitter.com/sam_amick

Tony_Starks
06-22-2014, 09:35 PM
1st off no way in Hell Lebron leaves Miami for Houston, that's not even a good pipe dream.

Secondly people get too hung up on Lin/ Asiks cap hit. The bottom line is there are a lot of GMs that flat out refuse to pay those guys 15 milli under any circumstances. We saw this last year, when Morey tried to squeeze a first rounder out of teams in his proposals everyone said "thanks but no thanks." Even the Celtics who he has a pretty good relationship with passed and they actually like Asik.

Go back and google it, the GMs weren't very shy about what they thought of Asik and Lins value.

Sandman
06-22-2014, 09:38 PM
I havent heard anything about the warriors being interested in Melo. They are trying to get away from the whole isolation basketball that melo loves. (granted- melo is pretty good at it). LOL- if mark jackson were still around- it would make sense. He loved running isolations all day- its a horrible way to play ball- but if your gonna do it- might as well get someone whos decent at it.

Overall though- the spurs just proved why ball movement is a lot better than isolation ball. its harder to defend.
Melo is more versatile than that though, look at how he plays in the olympics. There are definitely better parts of his game than iso ball.

Crunch Time
06-22-2014, 09:50 PM
1st off no way in Hell Lebron leaves Miami for Houston, that's not even a good pipe dream.

Secondly people get too hung up on Lin/ Asiks cap hit. The bottom line is there are a lot of GMs that flat out refuse to pay those guys 15 milli under any circumstances. We saw this last year, when Morey tried to squeeze a first rounder out of teams in his proposals everyone said "thanks but no thanks." Even the Celtics who he has a pretty good relationship with passed and they actually like Asik.

Go back and google it, the GMs weren't very shy about what they thought of Asik and Lins value.

It's gonna take a lot for the Rockets to deal Lin, at least a first rounder if not more.