PDA

View Full Version : Lakers-Warriors talking Klay Thompson trade?

shep33
06-21-2014, 02:52 AM
Lakers in talks to acquire Warriors' Klay Thompson for seventh pick in next week's draft, The Times has learned. http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-klay-thompson-kevin-love-trade-20140620-story.html

https://twitter.com/Mike_Bresnahan

Interesting. Seems like the Dubs are going all out for Love

Arch Stanton
06-21-2014, 03:00 AM
@SamAmicoFSO: Lakers in talks to get Klay Thompson from Warriors for No. 7 pick, reports LA Times. Would be part of 3-way that'd send Kevin Love to GSW.

- Sam Amico

shep33
06-21-2014, 03:01 AM
Don't get it for us. Klay and Kobe play the same position. Klay is awesome, but I don't want to give him a max deal eventually.

Leftcoast_yg
06-21-2014, 03:02 AM
I like this better than the mcw trade

FlashBolt
06-21-2014, 03:05 AM
Lakers should not trade their draft pick.. They might get Dante.. Which I say has a far better upside than Klay. I know they want to get rid of Nash but let's face it, they aren't winning next year anyways because Kobe takes 23 fricking million.

Jtirado16
06-21-2014, 03:09 AM
Terrible trade... I love MCW deal. But if we aren't getting love don't trade this pick.

tredigs
06-21-2014, 03:13 AM
Don't get it for us. Klay and Kobe play the same position. Klay is awesome, but I don't want to give him a max deal eventually.
Yeah, I mean Klay's a great shooter and a solid enough defender, but his lack of an overall game + chucker-mode mentality (so many times he takes ill-advised shots rather than a quick kick-back to Curry for an open 3. He's on the selfish side as a player) is nowhere near the level of talent that should garner max-deal speculations.

He can play the 3, though. He played it about half the time year 2.

Interesting trade overall. I like how coveted Klay is, and the #7 + D. Lee should seal the deal for a K Love+ deal.

Lakers should not trade their draft pick.. They might get Dante.. Which I say has a far better upside than Klay. I know they want to get rid of Nash but let's face it, they aren't winning next year anyways because Kobe takes 23 fricking million.
I think Exum's gone at #3, definitely by 7.

shep33
06-21-2014, 03:13 AM
I think there is no way Exum goes to 7 now with Embiid's injury. I don't like this deal... doesn't really make sense on any level for us.

shep33
06-21-2014, 03:15 AM
Yeah, I mean Klay's a great shooter and a solid enough defender, but his lack of an overall game + chucker-mode mentality (so many times he takes ill-advised shots rather than a quick kick-back to Curry for an open 3. He's on the selfish side as a player) is nowhere near the level of talent that should garner max-deal speculations.

He can play the 3, though. He played it about half the time year 2.

Interesting trade overall. I like how coveted Klay is, and the #7 + D. Lee should seal the deal for a K Love+ deal.

Yeah, definitely should be enough for Love. I don't see anyone else offering anything better.

Bostonjorge
06-21-2014, 03:16 AM
Get it done Mitch.

abe_froman
06-21-2014, 03:36 AM
not really sure about this.i get they'd have a sg for when kobe retires,but what about until then? also i like the chances of getting somebody who will be better than klay at 7

jerellh528
06-21-2014, 03:42 AM
Wish they would just draft smart at 7 and sign Stephenson. Damn, smart, Stephenson, and Kobe on the same team is pretty tenacious.

Swift Game
06-21-2014, 03:42 AM
Not sure about this deal. Klay may be had at some point in free agency and the Lakers may be able to do more with the philly deal potentially.

I say pass until we see all of the details in this one.

Bostonjorge
06-21-2014, 03:47 AM
Lakers need to get this done. Get rid of Nash expiring somehow. Then sign lance but leave enough for a max offer. Lakers could have.

Gasol
????
Klay
Kobe
Lance

With still enough for a max player if we move Nash. James or melo or bosh would fill in perfect. Once we sign a max guy the players like Marion, pierce, and carter will be begging to come play in LA.

Also klay and Stephenson played a lot of PG on there teams. Curry and hill were not and still not great at handling the ball. Klay protects the ball better than anyone and lance is a great play maker.

mngopher35
06-21-2014, 03:48 AM
why wouldn't the wolves just do the celtics deal then? They have more picks to offer including #6 and we wouldn't have to take Lee's contract. The whole point of dealing with GS was Thompson I thought.

Stunner
06-21-2014, 03:50 AM
why wouldn't the wolves just do the celtics deal then? They have more picks to offer including #6 and we wouldn't have to take Lee's contract. The whole point of dealing with GS was Thompson I thought.

Because they don't like none of Boston's players , Lee is better than all of them . If There's a chance to get a Lee caliber player and the 7th you do it .

sens#11fan
06-21-2014, 03:51 AM
Knowing the lakers im surprised they're not getting Love in return, then again there probably gonna have him next offseason, lol.

mngopher35
06-21-2014, 03:58 AM
Because they don't like none of Boston's players , Lee is better than all of them . If There's a chance to get a Lee caliber player and the 7th you do it .

I dunno with his salary + age though and the fact he doesn't fit next to pek (we would still have defensive issues). I would rather have sullinger at his salary plus pick 17 than Lee. Then add a future Brooklyn pick as well. I dunno it just seems like if we wanted to go the picks route we should go Boston (my preference). If we want players go GS but get Klay.

Hotone1401
06-21-2014, 04:03 AM
I like this deal. Klay can definitely play the 3, is competitive on the defensive end, and will give us most likely one the of the best 3 pt shooters as we progress through a new era of Laker basketball. Klay is an ultimate threat that will surely spread the floor for us.

COOLbeans
06-21-2014, 04:09 AM
I guess the dubs are being influenced by the Mychal Thompson guilt trip and trying to salvage it by sending Klay home to LA while still getting the man they covet in Love.

The Lakers are the better situation for Klay than Minnesota but I don't like the deal regardless. The Warriors have what they need in their starting lineup already. Its not like Lee sucks so theres no reason to make such a drastic change at this juncture. How about some consistency for once?

I think the Warriors like to make moves just to make the big splash so the owner can impress his corporate partners. It's like he's playing 2K or something.

Stunner
06-21-2014, 04:18 AM
I see why the Lakers would do it , they feel that Klay is better than any of the PF's who will be at 7 because Smart and Exum won't be there and Embiid will get snatched up by Boston .

JNA17
06-21-2014, 04:27 AM
Ugh...I want Marcus Smart, not a damn jump shooter.

If Marcus Smart is not available by the 7th pick, then sure. The only problem is Klay will want a max at the end of next season...stupid. -_-

Stunner
06-21-2014, 04:32 AM
If Philly takes Exum then Orl is taking Smart right after . All reports saying they love Marcus and Exum and will go guard with their pick .

Stunner
06-21-2014, 04:32 AM
Well Kobe likes Klay http://youtu.be/vm9NagmoON0 lol

Bostonjorge
06-21-2014, 04:36 AM
Klay can guard Parker, Paul, Westbrook, harden and curry. Lakers need him.

amos1er
06-21-2014, 04:43 AM
I guess the dubs are being influenced by the Mychal Thompson guilt trip and trying to salvage it by sending Klay home to LA while still getting the man they covet in Love.

The Lakers are the better situation for Klay than Minnesota but I don't like the deal regardless. The Warriors have what they need in their starting lineup already. Its not like Lee sucks so theres no reason to make such a drastic change at this juncture. How about some consistency for once?

I think the Warriors like to make moves just to make the big splash so the owner can impress his corporate partners. It's like he's playing 2K or something.

Yup.

amos1er
06-21-2014, 04:50 AM
Sounds good to me.

amos1er
06-21-2014, 04:51 AM
Knowing the lakers im surprised they're not getting Love in return, then again there probably gonna have him next offseason, lol.

Here's hopin... Lol.

IKnowHoops
06-21-2014, 05:17 AM
Lakers need to get this done. Get rid of Nash expiring somehow. Then sign lance but leave enough for a max offer. Lakers could have.

Gasol
????
Klay
Kobe
Lance

With still enough for a max player if we move Nash. James or melo or bosh would fill in perfect. Once we sign a max guy the players like Marion, pierce, and carter will be begging to come play in LA.

Also klay and Stephenson played a lot of PG on there teams. Curry and hill were not and still not great at handling the ball. Klay protects the ball better than anyone and lance is a great play maker.

If you got Bosh, that would be a great squad right there. Id be very surprised if the Lakers could get that done, but if they did...pop your collar.

IKnowHoops
06-21-2014, 05:19 AM

I don't think Klay can guard any of those guys. Much better off having Lance on those guys.

jerellh528
06-21-2014, 05:21 AM
Everyone hopes the lakers will fall into obscurity forever. But they will be contending again within 3 years. This offseason will be a great start.

Stunner
I don't think Klay can guard any of those guys. Much better off having Lance on those guys.

He guarded Chris Paul in the playoffs

IKnowHoops

If Marcus Smart is not available by the 7th pick, then sure. The only problem is Klay will want a max at the end of next season...stupid. -_-

He aint getting no Max. How could he command a Max? Thats laughable. I'd laugh at him for presuming that. He deserves 12mill a year at most.

IKnowHoops
06-21-2014, 05:23 AM
He guarded Chris Paul in the playoffs

And they lost. He may have been on him. Put Lance on him, he could actually make Paul have a bad game.

PraiseJesus
06-21-2014, 05:30 AM
do it!!!!!

kblo247
06-21-2014, 05:54 AM

I understand he can be had right now real cheap, that you can start him next to Kobe. Then you give yourself options.

Scenario A
If you get 13 back with him for facilitating the trade, you can take Payton and have a young perimeter.

Scenario B
You can go all in with your remaining cap space as a rental if the heatles opt in. That means you can call Chicago and offer to eat Boozer for a pick or two which keeps you competing threesome wise, as you can toss one year deals at the you legs we had and maybe Hill to play next summer with Rondo.

Scenario C
You don't get any pick but you have Klay and Kobe committed, so then you stretch Nash, and make a play for Monroe and Stephenson, while bringing Pau back.

Scenario D
You go for broke, as Melo and Bron are both free agents since wade opted in, and you make the damn thing happen with Bron, Klay, Kobe, Melo, and a room exception C.

I know damn well I rather see them put 10mil per to Klay and have the right to make him restricted, thus matching any offer or having a sign and trade chip, than wasting a pick on an injured 7 footer, Vonleh who can't dunk without gathering, or Gordon who reportedly couldn't hit a shot for 10mins after a extended workout. Better yet I rather put 10 on Klay than waste 8 on Ariza or 10 on Deng who have hit their ceilings.

JNA17
06-21-2014, 05:57 AM
If the Lakers get the 13th pick too, I'll like this deal then.

the brave eagle
06-21-2014, 06:13 AM
well if it's a 3 way trade it would be something like this, wolves get lee an lakers 7th pick, lakers get thompson, an warriors get nash an love.. which i kinda like for all teams i mean kobe can run point while thompson can be the 2 plus they get rid of nash's bad contract , warriors get their man, an wolves get a top lottery pick also a good veteran that they wanted. warriors might also have to add their first or a future first for the wolves though

the brave eagle
06-21-2014, 06:15 AM
but if it's straight up lakers get thompson an warriors get 7th pick an nash id also think that's fair, like i said kobe can run point like he usually does at times an i think they would work together

kblo247
06-21-2014, 06:19 AM
If Nash's deal was ate in the trade, good god its okay. Keep the extra picks. Lakers getting rid of Nash without stretching him would be a blessing.

The only viable scenario to me is if they gambled on sanders for him straight up just to get the bucks out the deal

Goose17
06-21-2014, 06:28 AM
Rumour on Twitter is Klay goes to Lakers - Lakers pick, a lakers scrub, D. Lee and Barnes go to Wolves - Love, Wolves Pick, Martin and Barea go to GS.

kblo247
06-21-2014, 06:36 AM
Rumour on Twitter is Klay goes to Lakers - Lakers pick, a lakers scrub, D. Lee and Barnes go to Wolves - Love, Wolves Pick, Martin and Barea go to GS.

Sacre, Marshall, or Kelly lol. That's about all they've got short of Nash.

astonmartin10
06-21-2014, 07:23 AM
Is Klay really worth the max though? I haven't watched a lot of GS games since they start late.

I think the Lakers should hold on to the pick.

xxplayerxx23
06-21-2014, 07:34 AM

Gasol
????
Klay
Kobe
Lance

:laugh: lance is a max player. Why would anyone trade for Nash?

Leftcoast_yg
06-21-2014, 07:46 AM
:laugh: lance is a max player. Why would anyone trade for Nash?
Because teams want to dump salaries sooner than later.... its called an expiring contract. There is your answer squirt

BKLYNpigeon
06-21-2014, 08:05 AM
i doubt this happens.

twin4life
06-21-2014, 08:40 AM
i doubt this happens.

x2

Marques24kobe
06-21-2014, 09:06 AM
This trade makes no sense from a salary cap stand point for the GSW. There over the luxury tax, so how can they take in 3 players who will make a combine $25 million when only trading two players making around $16 million? There has to be more to this trade. Most likely Nash has to going to the Timberwolves if this trade was to work. Then the numbers work perfectly.

theducksmuggler
06-21-2014, 09:40 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=klmccha

Here is how personally think it will go down...

LA Lakers receive:
Klay Thomposon

LA Lakers give up:
#7 pick
Steve Nash

Minnesota Wolves Receive:
David Lee
Harrison Barnes
Nemanja Nedovic
#7 pick

Minnesota Wolves give up:
Kevin Love
#13 pick

Golden State Warriors Receive:
Kevin Love
Steve Nash
#13 pick

Golden State Warriors give up:
Harrison Barnes
David Lee
Nemanja Nedovis
#7 pick(received from the Thompson deal with Lakers)

king4day
06-21-2014, 10:54 AM
Is the #7 pick enough to get Klay? Seems like the Warriors could get a bit more for him.

For LAL, I understand why they would do it but how would it work with Kobe? Do they start together at PG/SG?

PurpleLynch
06-21-2014, 11:18 AM
Thompson is surely a very good player,but how do you play him with Kobe? Also,why get players when we don't even know what coach will be heading these future Lakers? I don't know,I wouldn't waste this pick so confidently,we could land a very good player that isn't a sg. And there are plenty of serviceable sgs in the free agency market...

beasted86
06-21-2014, 11:27 AM

Gasol
????
Klay
Kobe
Lance

How on earth do you move Nash? Nobody in their right mind would take that contract without sending the Lakers back an equally hideous contract.

Even if you stretch waive him Lakers wouldn't have cap space to resign Gasol, sign Stephenson and still offer a max. I'd like to see some salary expectations otherwise to make that roster work.

Goose17
06-21-2014, 11:30 AM
Thompson is surely a very good player,but how do you play him with Kobe?

Klay is a very capable SF... they could be looking to use him as a sixth man or something though? I think this has more to do with his dad than anything else.

This trade makes no sense from a salary cap stand point for the GSW. There over the luxury tax, so how can they take in 3 players who will make a combine $25 million when only trading two players making around $16 million? There has to be more to this trade. Most likely Nash has to going to the Timberwolves if this trade was to work. Then the numbers work perfectly.

It depends on when they're thinking of making the trade, Blake expires this year and the numbers would work... or maybe the Lakers want Blake back and he's part of the deal?

We also have a 9mil TPE but I was hoping we would save that to find a back up big guy.

clehmun
06-21-2014, 11:30 AM
Is the #7 pick enough to get Klay? Seems like the Warriors could get a bit more for him.

For LAL, I understand why they would do it but how would it work with Kobe? Do they start together at PG/SG?

Both players are capable of playing the 2 and 3. Neither players are capable of playing the 1 for the whole game/whole season.

CKinKC
06-21-2014, 12:15 PM

Marcus Smart isnt a franchise changer, let alone a guaranteed starter for that matter. In Big 12 country I've got to see a lot of Smart, he's not a good shooter, not quick enough to guard NBA point guards, and no way better than Thompson. I say still trade pick unless Embiid falls. None of the players available at 7 excite me at all.

Goose17
06-21-2014, 12:27 PM
I tend to go with the rule that you should always trade an unknown entity (draft pick/rookie) for established talent if you can.

Lakers + Giants
06-21-2014, 12:37 PM
I would honestly hate this deal.

DODGERS&LAKERS
06-21-2014, 12:45 PM
IMO you don't trade for players who have Kobe's poster on the wall growing up, his dad working for the Lakers, his dad admitting that he's always talking to him about signing with the Lakers. You just let nature take its course.

Let Klay get traded to Minny...... you know the rest.

Red_Pill
06-21-2014, 01:01 PM

Giving up our two best players, one a potential future MVP, a draft pick, and our best bench player for David Lee, Barnes, a slight upgrade in the draft and a lakers scrub? Why should we give up the #13? **** that. No way we're giving up the #13.

Red_Pill
06-21-2014, 01:04 PM
Sacre, Marshall, or Kelly lol. That's about all they've got short of Nash.

We would need a backup PG. Sacre and Kelly wouldn't be part of the deal. So, probably Marshall or Nash. Even with his bad contract, I'd rather take Nash. He can teach Rubio a few things. So, he could prove useful in that regard.

COOLbeans
06-21-2014, 01:16 PM
If the Lakers get the 13th pick too, I'll like this deal then.

I'm pretty sure the Warriors get that pick. But I still hate it

Tony_Starks
06-21-2014, 01:26 PM
Wish they would just draft smart at 7 and sign Stephenson. Damn, smart, Stephenson, and Kobe on the same team is pretty tenacious.

Yep. Kobe, Smart, Stephenson, Swaggy P, would be a pretty nice rotation of wings. All that would be left is to re-sign Gasol and Hill, then maybe get lucky and convince Deng to come on down.

moshy2
06-21-2014, 01:57 PM
I don't understand this for the Wolves. I thought they wanted the Warriors package because they wanted players who can contribute immediately, like Klay. If this rumor is true, why not take the Boston package? That has the #6, #14, and a young player.

BrandoCommando
06-21-2014, 02:10 PM
I don't understand this for the Wolves. I thought they wanted the Warriors package because they wanted players who can contribute immediately, like Klay. If this rumor is true, why not take the Boston package? That has the #6, #14, and a young player.

David Lee.

Goose17
06-21-2014, 02:27 PM
IMO you don't trade for players who have Kobe's poster on the wall growing up

So you wouldn't trade for Durant?

beasted86
06-21-2014, 02:28 PM
Yep. Kobe, Smart, Stephenson, Swaggy P, would be a pretty nice rotation of wings. All that would be left is to re-sign Gasol and Hill, then maybe get lucky and convince Deng to come on down.

This actually started to sound realistic cap space wise until you mentioned resigning Young, and Hill.

Young will probably want 4-5, Hill 4-6 if returning to the Lakers. So I don't see where is the space to sign Stephenson and Deng both.

Smart, Stephenson, Kobe, Deng, and Gasol is a good core and sounds reasonable cap space wise once you stretch Nash.

PG: Smart $2.5
SG: Stephenson $10
SF: Kobe $24
PF: Deng $11
C: Gasol $12 / Sacre $1

Once you add in Nash at his $3M buyout and roster holds, that's all the $63M space used up. But this would be a good start in a total defensive identity change with still capable scorers. Still have the Room Mid-Level which is like $2.7M to add another good player. Plus Henry and Bazemore back for the minimum, makes a good athletic, young defensive roster.

moshy2
06-21-2014, 02:37 PM
David Lee.

That's 1. #6 is better than #7. #14 is better than Barnes. Lee is much better than Olynyk or Sullinger, but they'd give up their #13 to do it. Klay was the centerpiece of the return because they still wanted to compete now instead of going full rebuild. This trade would be half rebuild half stay competitive. So they're going to suck, but not suck enough. Kinda where they are right now.

bootypants
06-21-2014, 02:38 PM
This actually started to sound realistic cap space wise until you mentioned resigning Young, and Hill.

Young will probably want 4-5, Hill 4-6 if returning to the Lakers. So I don't see where is the space to sign Stephenson and Deng both.

Smart, Stephenson, Kobe, Deng, and Gasol is a good core and sounds reasonable cap space wise once you stretch Nash.

PG: Smart $2.5
SG: Stephenson $10
SF: Kobe $24
PF: Deng $11
C: Gasol $12 / Sacre $1

Once you add in Nash at his $3M buyout and roster holds, that's all the $63M space used up. But this would be a good start in a total defensive identity change with still capable scorers. Still have the Room Mid-Level which is like $2.7M to add another good player. Plus Henry and Bazemore back for the minimum, makes a good athletic, young defensive roster.

Deng at PF in the west..... you are obviously trolling, right?

beasted86
06-21-2014, 02:40 PM
He would have to hit the gym, LOL.

ewing
06-21-2014, 02:41 PM
whenever there is a hot topic, i need to know what bootypants has to say about it

Bostonjorge
06-21-2014, 04:33 PM
How on earth do you move Nash? Nobody in their right mind would take that contract without sending the Lakers back an equally hideous contract.

Even if you stretch waive him Lakers wouldn't have cap space to resign Gasol, sign Stephenson and still offer a max. I'd like to see some salary expectations otherwise to make that roster work.

If lakers can shed Nash 9mil then we add that to the 28 mil they already have. Klay takes up 4mil so that would put us at around 33. Give lance 13 and 20 to one of the big time guys. Then after the bird rights lets u go over the cap to resign your own players. Sign pau. Then some vets looking to win. Lakers have 13 roster spots to fill.

Klay is the first pierce and love is to good for GS to pass up on.

amos1er
06-21-2014, 04:40 PM

He will just be holding the fort down temporarily until Love signs with us next summer.

amos1er
06-21-2014, 04:41 PM
If lakers can shed Nash 9mil then we add that to the 28 mil they already have. Klay takes up 4mil so that would put us at around 33. Give lance 13 and 20 to one of the big time guys. Then after the bird rights lets u go over the cap to resign your own players. Sign pau. Then some vets looking to win. Lakers have 13 roster spots to fill.

Who did you have in mind...

Bostonjorge
06-21-2014, 04:52 PM
Who did you have in mind...

For max one of the big 3. James melo or bosh. I would like bosh fit most.

For vets piece Marion vince maybe KG if he's bought out. If lakers make these moves these players will reach out to LA like Jamison did.

twin4life
06-21-2014, 05:15 PM

It makes no sense for the wolves, therefore I wouldnt even look at this rumor. 80% of people on here think they know sports but I laugh when I read some of these posts and sometimes I hope people are joking but they are not. Sometimes I read on here to get a good laugh and that is the case today! LOL

Boston package had #6 and #17. FYI

beasted86
06-21-2014, 05:56 PM

That's what I figured...Your roster doesn't follow CBA rules.

You can't go over the cap to resign Gasol. His cap hold will be $20.2M which takes up pretty much all the cap space you would have had to offer to that other player. If Lakers renounce his rights, and use the space to sign someone for that $20M, then all they can use to sign Gasol would be their Mid-Level Exception... which if you use cap space, your only getting the "Room MLE" which is $2.7M.

bgdreton
06-21-2014, 06:02 PM
Hope the warriors just stand thier ground. To much to give up for Love..

koreancabbage
06-21-2014, 06:55 PM

unless you renounce Pau Gasol, you can't resign him with your bird rights bc Gasol has a cap hold of about $20M, which brings your cap hold near $55M + your other cap holds of Jordan Hill and others.

So you have about 7-8 Million to sign a free agent. Lance at 13 + $20 ... say (Carmelo/Lebron/Wade/Bosh are the max players this summer), is gonna be at the cap. Is Gasol going to take the exception you guys have (the not full MLE bc you were over the cap before this year)

Gasol might take that $2-3 exception (what ever amount/ no mid level for you guys) because he wants to win now.

so in the end, it might work out if you build a team and Gasol can see himself to be a big part of.

but ya, you guys are probably going to not renounce your players to get the maximum amount of salary space possible this year. thus, there won't be any bird rights for you to "resign" players from last year unless if they take a major pay cut (which is possible!)

Marques24kobe
06-21-2014, 07:23 PM
Quick question for those who know the CBA rules. If you have a restricted free agent, is there a cap hold for them?
Pau is not restricted so I know he has a large cap hold(yearly salary $20 million +) but what about Stephenson or Parsons? What's their cap hold if any?

NBA_Starter
06-21-2014, 08:17 PM
I can't blame the Lakers for trying to jump in there.

Mave1002
06-23-2014, 01:02 AM

Gasol
????
Klay
Kobe
Lance

That's what Im talking about. The 4 spot would be the easiest hole to fill. Retain Kaman and Hill.

Though Im not sure if I would start Klay, Kobe and Lance all at the same time.

Lance would be the greatest 6th man since LO.

Kushed
06-23-2014, 01:20 AM
So I imagine that deal would send #7, Barnes, and Lee to Minnesota?

Monta is beast
06-23-2014, 01:24 AM
All this wasted time -100% chance this happens

bleedprple&gold
06-23-2014, 01:57 AM
Quick question for those who know the CBA rules. If you have a restricted free agent, is there a cap hold for them?
Pau is not restricted so I know he has a large cap hold(yearly salary $20 million +) but what about Stephenson or Parsons? What's their cap hold if any?

Stephenson is an unrestriced free agent btw.

Here is CBA FAQ explaining cap hold amounts: http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q38

I think since they are both Larry Bird free agents, not coming off rookie scale contracts (only for 1st round picks), and were making below league minimum their cap hold is 190% of their previous salary (which is only like $2 mil). In this case their cap hold is much less than what they are going to be making so it makes sense for their respective teams if they are under the cap to sign other players first and sign these guys last since they can go over the cap to do so.

Edit:

Now I saw this:

A restricted free agent is included in team salary by the greatest of:

His free agent amount (as defined in the table above)

The amount of his qualifying offer (see question number 44)

The first-year salary in a first refusal exercise notice (a notice given to the player that the team is exercising its right of first refusal by matching an offer sheet (see question number 44)

And also this:

If a second round pick or undrafted player met the starter criteria following his second or third season in the league, his qualifying offer equals the amount of the qualifying offer applicable to the 21st pick in the first round of the same draft class, if this amount is higher than the qualifying offer he otherwise would have received.

I'm sure they both met the starter criteria so their cap hold is equal to the qualifying offer for the 21st pick of their draft class which should be a little over $3 mil.

KingPosey
06-23-2014, 04:37 AM
I'm sure the lakers are doiNg ALLLLL the talking. What in the world do they have to offer?

The Warriors front office is split on trading him for Love but would entertain trading him for the #7 pick lol...?

thenaj17
06-23-2014, 05:08 AM

*Klay can get embarrassed by Parker, Paul, Westbrook, Harden and Curry

amos1er
06-23-2014, 06:19 AM
Funny to think that we could have traded Dwight for Klay and Barnes last summer and instead let him walk for nothing. Now we are in the position of having to waste yet another draft pick to acquire a player we could have already had last year in addition to the seven pick because Jim Buss was too blind and arrogant to see that Dwight had made his mind up about leaving already. Got to love the guy. Lol.

amos1er
06-23-2014, 06:22 AM
Lets just hope that Jim doesn't further screw things up for us this off-season because last season was a total nightmare to watch. Heres hopin... :hope:

Goose17
06-23-2014, 07:27 AM
*Klay can get embarrassed by Parker, Paul, Westbrook, Harden and Curry

LOL... casual fans crack me up.

siix
06-23-2014, 08:04 AM
lol not gonna happen

Stunner
06-23-2014, 09:29 AM
Deal is dead now , close this thread . Warriors won't trade Klay , going after Frye now .

nickdymez
06-23-2014, 12:04 PM
Yo this is stupid. They weren't winning next year regardless of Kobes contract. No matter what, they weren't winning next year.

RaiderLakersA's
06-23-2014, 12:09 PM
I honestly don't understand the Warriors. I would not break up this squad. It's a playoff caliber team. Sure, they're not perfect, especially when the injury bug hits, but I would ride this bunch for one more year and pick up Love next year as an FA. If they can't wait that long, give Pau Gasol a call and see if he's willing to move north this year and play on the cheap.