PDA

View Full Version : More Heartbreaking Finals Loss- Pistons '88 or Spurs '13

JordansBulls
06-19-2014, 10:15 PM
Which team would you say had the more heartbreaking finals loss?

Both Detroit and San Antonio were up 3-2 with games 6 and 7 on the road and both were up in the last 20 seconds or so of the game in game 6 on the road.

NOTE: Both teams got a rematch the following year and dominated the series on way to title.

kobe4thewinbang
06-19-2014, 10:17 PM
The Spurs one has been played up a lot, but I don't know much about the Detroit team. You'd have to elaborate because as of now they looked equally heartbreaking.

Tony_Starks
06-19-2014, 10:36 PM
Neither. Lakers in '89. Magic AND B Scott get hurt and the Bad boys ruin what should've been the first 3 peat in decades by the team of the 80's.....

hidalgo
06-19-2014, 10:46 PM
you could also say the Pistons should have 3 peated. the late phantom call against Laimbeer that sent KAJ to the FT line with 14 sec left. his 2 FTs put LA up by 1, & won the game for them.

in a lot of ways that's a tougher pill to swallow than the Heat's comeback, because the Heat took advantage of the Spurs missed FTs, & made clutch shots, it was left up to the players, it wasn't left up to the refs. that call on Laimbeer was beyond ticky tack....

the Pistons have a legit gripe that they were robbed by the refs call. the Spurs can really only tip their hat to Miami's comeback. no refs involved

jerellh528
06-19-2014, 10:48 PM
I'm too young for pistons, so I'll go with spurs.
Lucky shot by Allen wow

JordansBulls
06-19-2014, 10:49 PM
Neither. Lakers in '89. Magic AND B Scott get hurt and the Bad boys ruin what should've been the first 3 peat in decades by the team of the 80's.....

Even if you think this is true, it has nothing to do with the topic.

Tony_Starks
06-19-2014, 10:52 PM
Even if you think this is true, it has nothing to do with the topic.

"Even if you think this is true"...... knock it off JB, don't play me like that.

NBA_Starter
06-19-2014, 10:56 PM
I think it just depends on what time period you grew up in, they are that close.

hidalgo
06-19-2014, 11:02 PM
I'm too young for pistons, so I'll go with spurs.
Lucky shot by Allen wowhard to call a Ray Allen 3 pointer "lucky". he's the best 3 point shooter ever

the missed FTs & the offensive RB that allowed him that look was pretty fortunate though

AntiG
06-19-2014, 11:42 PM
hard to call a Ray Allen 3 pointer "lucky". he's the best 3 point shooter ever
Well that wasn't really luck or skill anyway, but a blown call since he stepped out of bounds.

Deception
06-20-2014, 12:10 AM
Isiah played on a swollen ankle the size of a grapefruit and set a record for most points in a quarter during the Finals by scoring 25 on that ankle. Pistons held off until a blown call was made, even Riley admitted that the call was bogus. Pistons were that close to 3-peating. Like one said above, one instance was a blown call by the refs, one was a lucky series of events for the Heat. Both are tough to swallow.

Sportfan
06-20-2014, 12:14 AM
Celtics '10 is MUCH worse than Spurs 13

Jarvo
06-20-2014, 12:50 AM
Spurs for me, As a Spurs fan living in Miami and seeing everyone on the streets excited partying in your face was depressing and very hard to watch.

Chronz
06-20-2014, 01:05 AM
Definitely the Lakers, just due to the main errors on the refs part

hidalgo
06-20-2014, 01:26 AM
Well that wasn't really luck or skill anyway, but a blown call since he stepped out of bounds.
the replays clearly show he was inbounds. he wasn't even close to stepping out. never heard anyone question that. odd...

Big Zo
06-20-2014, 12:00 PM
I'd say Pistons in '88. Believe Isaiah hurt his leg, and they were never the same. That's just bad luck. Spurs lost to a better team last year.

jmaest
06-20-2014, 12:20 PM
I'm going to say the Spurs. The Lakers were a better team arguably in '88 than the Pistons were. It was close and both teams were stacked.

Replacing Dantly with Aguirre was a big difference for Detroit.

I really felt the officials let Miami back in the Finals last season and the Spurs couldn't respond like they did this year. Tough loss, to be sure, but when it's something that you can't control that blindsides you like that, it becomes heartbreaking IMO.

RiLoc
06-20-2014, 01:09 PM
the replays clearly show he was inbounds. he wasn't even close to stepping out. never heard anyone question that. odd...I think AntiG's talking about this: fake picture that floated around showing Allen stepped out of bounds (http://i.gyazo.com/242c67a2c9497a1ad164b9c8fd1d6da6.png). Of course, closer inspection shows it's not the same play.

Bruno
06-20-2014, 01:23 PM
I'd say Pistons in '88. Believe Isaiah hurt his leg, and they were never the same. That's just bad luck. Spurs lost to a better team last year.

I dono man. Spurs blew it and gave Miami the championship. this years record breaking margins of victory confirms that Miami was lucky to walk away with last years championship, imo.

Hangtime
06-20-2014, 03:47 PM
Even though the Spurs blew it people forget that Allen's 3 only sent the game to overtime. That means Spurs got an additional opportunity to win the game in 6. They even had the lead in overtime. At least both Pistons and Spurs got to play a game seven to right the wrongs of game 6.

Big Zo
06-20-2014, 03:52 PM
I dono man. Spurs blew it and gave Miami the championship. this years record breaking margins of victory confirms that Miami was lucky to walk away with last years championship, imo.

This year's victory proves nothing. Both teams were different.

SteveNash
06-20-2014, 04:24 PM
Pistons and it's not even close.

Spurs legitimately lost the game by missing free throws and not securing rebounds.

Pistons-Lakers was decided by the officials.

PurpleLynch
06-20-2014, 04:30 PM
I think AntiG's talking about this: fake picture that floated around showing Allen stepped out of bounds (http://i.gyazo.com/242c67a2c9497a1ad164b9c8fd1d6da6.png). Of course, closer inspection shows it's not the same play.

That's probably a pic made by Kdspurman :D Jokes aside,it's not even the same play(even if that shoul have been called,like a lot of calls missed.Refs are not robots and bball played in the Nba is one the fastest sport ever played)

JasonJohnHorn
06-20-2014, 06:53 PM
The officiating was rough for the Pistons, and not having Isiah in game 7 was hard.... but part of that is like: We didn't lose this series, it was taken from us by bad officiating and chance.

With the Spurs, they Spurs had the series wrapped up, all they had to do was prevent three-point shots, and get the defensive rebounds. Not hard, but they let both happen.

they are both rough to take, no doubt. For the Spurs, I imagine that the players were beating themselves up for letting it go. For the Pistons, I image there was a point of pride in that the officials took away game 6 (and perhaps game 7, though earlier in the game) and chance took away their best player.

Great comparison though. Both teams playing defending champs, losing game 6 and 7, and then coming back to play the same team the following year and dominating.

Miltstar
06-20-2014, 08:51 PM

In my unbiased opinion I think the Spurs had the better team both years. Ginoblii choked for whatever reason last year and I think that was the major difference.