PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else find Pat Riley's speech funny?

JasonJohnHorn
06-19-2014, 04:26 PM
I have a lot of respect for Riley as a coach and as an exec. But I also like to call a spade a spade.

Let's be frank. The Raptors did a $#!T job building around Bosh. They could have had Granger, Bosh and Hibbert, instead they had Bargs and Bosh

The Cavs weren't much better with LBJ. Where Bird had McHale and Parisha nd DJ and Maxwell and Walton, Magic had Kareemm and Worhty and Green and Nixon and Scott and Perkins, while Jordan had Pippen and Rodman and Harper and Kukoc. LBJ had Mo Williams.

LBJ and Bosh came to Miami to WIN. I don't fault them that. They've been in the league long enough, and they deserve to put themselves in a winning situation.

Now Rileys syas to these guys: "You don't find the first door and run out if you have the opprotunity." WHAT?!?!?! This is NOT what he was telling them in 2010. He told them RUN OUT THAT DOOR AND COME TO MIAMI!!!

Then he talks about organically growing from within like the Spurs? :Eyes rolling!: They just signed hired guns and ring chasers. The Spurs rely on scouting and player development. That is organic, not waiting to teams to buy out player and them pick them up for the playoff run.

I don't like how Miami built their champions, but it's all good. They followed the rules, took a gamble and it paid off for the last four years. Now the the time is up, though, those same players that came in as hired guns are free to leave as hired guns and now Rile and Spo are talking about "building a team organically" and "loyalty" and "staying together" and not running out the door for the first opportunity that comes along.

The Riley says that the players that have come to us stay a long time. Like Lamar Odom? Who they traded after a season? Or GLen Rice who was a career player and then got traded? Or Bruce Bowen who they let go? Or PJ Brown and Jama Mashburn?

Riley is out to win. I got no problem with that, but when he starts talking about loyalty and keeping players and players staying when he, just like every other GM in the league, is always out to make the team better, even if it means disregarding a loyal player, then he will trade a guy. If he knew he coudl get Kevin Durant for Bosh or Wade, he would dump them in a second.

This rhetoric just makes Riley sound like a desperate old man whose worried that he's going to lose the hired guns he brought in and now wants to start talking about loyalty only because NOW it helps him out, but four years ago he didn't give two $#!T$ about loyalty. All he cared about was winning.

Riley has a brilliant mind, and he took a gamble and it paid off and he deserves credit for what he did, but now that the shoe is on the other foot, he needs to face the fact that he undermined any concept of loyalty that existed for YEARS when it meant he was going to win.

Nothing would make me happier than to see Wade, Bosh and LBJ all take flight from Miami, not to screw Miami fans over, but just to screw Riley over. That guy deserves to have a little egg on his face after this hypocritical speech where he feigns being loyal to players.

And to Miami fans, please, this is not a knock on you guys. This is a knock on Riley. If there were a way for Riley to get egg on his face and Miami fans not get screwed over in the process, I prefer that. But even you have to admit this rhetoric Riley is pulling out is utter garbage. He is acting like a glorified car sales man.

Big Zo
06-19-2014, 04:45 PM
Look at all the people that have been with the organization since it's inception, former players now working for the team, etc. And you'll see that "Loyalty" isn't exactly lost in the Heat organization.

ink
06-19-2014, 04:47 PM
It is hypocritical of him to say, but he is right. Pointing out hypocrisy doesn't disprove the validity of what he's saying.

FreeAgentZero
06-19-2014, 05:02 PM
I thought the same. Riley's a slimy piece of ****. He only does things when they're beneficial to him and cries at the first sign of weakness instead of fighting through. Remember when he forced Stan Van Gundy out to take over as head coach when the team started winning? Remember how he retired from coaching as soon as they started losing? He's a frontrunner. Now he's against superstars leaving when things get down and is into building from within? He's a fraud.

AddiX
06-19-2014, 05:08 PM
You can tell one thing for sire, Riley has no clue what the players are going to decide to do, and he's worried.

smiddy012
06-19-2014, 05:10 PM
You can tell one thing for sire, Riley has no clue what the players are going to decide to do, and he's worried.

Yup.

jmaest
06-19-2014, 05:16 PM
It is hypocritical of him to say, but he is right. Pointing out hypocrisy doesn't disprove the validity of what he's saying.

This is exactly how I feel.

The messenger sucks but the message is accurate.

Riley wasn't speaking to "us" though. He was speaking to Lebron.

MrfadeawayJB
06-19-2014, 05:20 PM
He seemed kind of douchey this morning

Da Knicks
06-19-2014, 05:25 PM
Riley is pretty much saying don't do what I did in New York or what you did 2010. Lol that guy...

HumJeez
06-19-2014, 05:30 PM
He's annoying and shrewd, doesn't know how to build a team without having superstars sellout.

Kaner
06-19-2014, 05:30 PM

this. If I was a heat fan this isn't helping me 'get a grip'. He doesn't sound very convincing.

FreeAgentZero
06-19-2014, 05:51 PM
Riley is pretty much saying don't do what I did in New York or what you did 2010. Lol that guy...

Or what he did when coaching the Heat...

d00d
06-19-2014, 06:00 PM
He is a ****ing *** hole. He is pissed at us............ ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

What a douche bag low rent piece of ****

Dade County
06-19-2014, 06:22 PM
I know all of them are con-artist...

I just hope one day, I can actually turn on a HEAT game & know that all parties involve are playing the game to win at all cost. Not to create drama, not to hype up a series or a team that has no business being mentioned in the same breath as them.

I would like Pat to only get players that feel this way... So yes, someone has to leave town.

# F the script

Dade County
06-19-2014, 06:32 PM
Oh and about Pat*speech.

I thought noting of it, because all of them know... Lbj, Wade, Micky Arison, Bosh, Pat Riley, Melo, all of their friends, the Mob, Vegas, the Bank, Time Warner, Comcast, the higher ups in the league office; whats going to happen.

This is big business, there are no real surprises, so whats the point of us worrying about it. I just hope that Pat can get players in here that will not bow to the higher ups.

Kevj77
06-19-2014, 06:50 PM
It sounds hypocritical. Still if I were Riley I would expect some trust from a team that I put together that made four straight finals and won back to back titles. It isn't like he doesn't have a good track record. He has made big moves to win in Miami trading for Shaq, planning ahead to save cap space to make a run at Lebron and Bosh. I think he is one of the better front office guys in the NBA, if not loyalty he should at least have earned enough trust that players know he will do what it takes to compete at a high level.

Bulls_fan90
06-19-2014, 06:53 PM
In 10 years Miami will be as irrelevant as they were before they got LeBron. I honestly would be surprised to see them still in Miami. This is just the beginning. Jump ship too Pat!!

BALLER R
06-19-2014, 06:58 PM
So I assume by those comments Melo should also stay in New York and Lowry should stay in Toronto. Or does his comments only apply when a player is thinking about leaving his team?

J4KOP99
06-19-2014, 07:12 PM
Pat Riley: Don't do the same exact thing I did 19 years ago (almost to the day)... and the same thing you guys did 4 years ago...

Where's my hair gel?

Darc Mind
06-19-2014, 07:13 PM
I have a lot of respect for Riley as a coach and as an exec. But I also like to call a spade a spade.

Let's be frank. The Raptors did a $#!T job building around Bosh. They could have had Granger, Bosh and Hibbert, instead they had Bargs and Bosh

The Cavs weren't much better with LBJ. Where Bird had McHale and Parisha nd DJ and Maxwell and Walton, Magic had Kareemm and Worhty and Green and Nixon and Scott and Perkins, while Jordan had Pippen and Rodman and Harper and Kukoc. LBJ had Mo Williams.

LBJ and Bosh came to Miami to WIN. I don't fault them that. They've been in the league long enough, and they deserve to put themselves in a winning situation.

Now Rileys syas to these guys: "You don't find the first door and run out if you have the opprotunity." WHAT?!?!?! This is NOT what he was telling them in 2010. He told them RUN OUT THAT DOOR AND COME TO MIAMI!!!

Then he talks about organically growing from within like the Spurs? :Eyes rolling!: They just signed hired guns and ring chasers. The Spurs rely on scouting and player development. That is organic, not waiting to teams to buy out player and them pick them up for the playoff run.

I don't like how Miami built their champions, but it's all good. They followed the rules, took a gamble and it paid off for the last four years. Now the the time is up, though, those same players that came in as hired guns are free to leave as hired guns and now Rile and Spo are talking about "building a team organically" and "loyalty" and "staying together" and not running out the door for the first opportunity that comes along.

The Riley says that the players that have come to us stay a long time. Like Lamar Odom? Who they traded after a season? Or GLen Rice who was a career player and then got traded? Or Bruce Bowen who they let go? Or PJ Brown and Jama Mashburn?

Riley is out to win. I got no problem with that, but when he starts talking about loyalty and keeping players and players staying when he, just like every other GM in the league, is always out to make the team better, even if it means disregarding a loyal player, then he will trade a guy. If he knew he coudl get Kevin Durant for Bosh or Wade, he would dump them in a second.

This rhetoric just makes Riley sound like a desperate old man whose worried that he's going to lose the hired guns he brought in and now wants to start talking about loyalty only because NOW it helps him out, but four years ago he didn't give two $#!T$ about loyalty. All he cared about was winning.

Riley has a brilliant mind, and he took a gamble and it paid off and he deserves credit for what he did, but now that the shoe is on the other foot, he needs to face the fact that he undermined any concept of loyalty that existed for YEARS when it meant he was going to win.

Nothing would make me happier than to see Wade, Bosh and LBJ all take flight from Miami, not to screw Miami fans over, but just to screw Riley over. That guy deserves to have a little egg on his face after this hypocritical speech where he feigns being loyal to players.

And to Miami fans, please, this is not a knock on you guys. This is a knock on Riley. If there were a way for Riley to get egg on his face and Miami fans not get screwed over in the process, I prefer that. But even you have to admit this rhetoric Riley is pulling out is utter garbage. He is acting like a glorified car sales man.

I very rarely post on here, but when I saw this, I had to.

First bold: Do you actually understand what this means? Lebron was given nothing for 7 years on the Cavs, good teammates-wise. Lebron had the opportunity to leave the Cavs back in 2007, but he signed an extension. Obviously believing in Cavs' management to supply him with a decent supporting cast. Unfortunately, we all know how that turned out.

Then comes 2010, hes a free agent. To say Lebron ran out the first door he could is ignorant. As we know that's not true. He tried to help win a championship in Cleveland, but they never provided the proper weapons. Even though they had the best player since MJ, they f'd up. He deserved a team willing to go all out and win. And that's what he got.

You've basically said all of this in your post, but the bolded part can not be true based on the part of your post saying the same thing I have said. (confusing?)

What I mean is there was no way Riley could have said this based off of James' and Bosh's past contracts. Because they didn't run at the first chance. They stayed, weren't helped, so rightfully left at the end of their extensions.

What I think Riley means is this: This team was built to win. Plain and simple. They win 2 finals in a row and are feeling great. They make it through the possible 3-peat playoffs swiftly. Then comes the finals. They get pounded by a smarter and more consistent team. What would they think after being humiliated on the "biggest stage"? They would think that this team was built for winning, and we just got our butts handed to us, so why be here?

Riley then says don't run out the first door at the opportunity, have the guts to swallow this loss, get back up, come back next season, and take that trophy back. He was not saying this back in 2010, the big 3's former teams failed them and so he showed them an opportunity to succeed.

Oh and for the second bolded part: There was a report this past season that the 76ers were offering to trade Evan Turner to the Heat for Udonis Haslem. Turner may have helped the Heat with off the bench scoring, but Riley decided not to trade UD because he took less money to play here. He decided to not partially boost offensive bench production so that UD could stay here. If that's not loyalty, what is? And we are talking about modern Riley, not 1996 Riley. And by the way, the Glen Rice trade was for someone named Alonzo Mourning and that Odom trade was for a nobody, Shaq. You DO NOT PASS THIS S**T UP.

beasted86
06-19-2014, 07:16 PM
So I assume by those comments Melo should also stay in New York and Lowry should stay in Toronto. Or does his comments only apply when a player is thinking about leaving his team?
Maybe his comments apply to a team that has won 2 out of 4 championships with the current core, and finals trips all 4 years?

I think Wade, LeBron, and Bosh all got what they were looking for when they signed with the team in 2010.

There's going to be a lot of Miami haters on here, but Riley is the Godfather and all he did today at that press conference is spit fire. Quotable gold throughout. I wouldn't trade this guy for any other GM in the league.

FreeAgentZero
06-19-2014, 07:30 PM
I already said Riley is a frontrunner and a hypocrite without giving much detail. I wrote a full column on my site on Riley's history of finding the first door and running out of it, as Riley insisted his players not to do here at http://freeagentzero.com/2014/06/19/pat-riley-a-lesson-in-hypocrisy/

beasted86
06-19-2014, 07:53 PM
I already said Riley is a frontrunner and a hypocrite without giving much detail. I wrote a full column on my site on Riley's history of finding the first door and running out of it, as Riley insisted his players not to do here at http://freeagentzero.com/2014/06/19/pat-riley-a-lesson-in-hypocrisy/

I did not read your blog, but Riley left to be the boss, because he is a boss. Who else asks out of coaching a contender in the two biggest markets? Normally a coach would have be fired or killed to leave those positions. Only a boss makes such moves.

With both the Knicks and the Lakers, he was only the coach and didn't have enough say in personnel decisions. That's why he came to Miami to be the boss that he is. President, GM, and coach, all one man.

FreeAgentZero
06-19-2014, 08:01 PM
I did not read your blog, but Riley left to be the boss, because he is a boss. Who else asks out of coaching a contender in the two biggest markets? Normally a coach would have be fired or killed to leave those positions. Only a boss makes such moves.

With both the Knicks and the Lakers, he was only the coach and didn't have enough say in personnel decisions. That's why he came to Miami to be the boss that he is. President, GM, and coach, all one man.

But he only left when things were on the downswing. Quit when the road got tough and faced adversity. He left LA to eventually go to NY, then NY for Miami. Not exactly like he was sacrificing everything that a big market brings. His moves brought him success, but now he's asking his players to do something that he himself didn't do, and that's the definition of hypocrisy.

NBA_Starter
06-19-2014, 08:04 PM

He had to see that coming when he signed up for this.

HuRRiCaNeS324
06-19-2014, 08:05 PM
In 10 years Miami will be as irrelevant as they were before they got LeBron. I honestly would be surprised to see them still in Miami. This is just the beginning. Jump ship too Pat!!

:laugh:

Sorry, but Miami isn't Chicago. We won't go on a 16 year hiatus from the finals and pretend we're a good organization.

The difference between Miami and Chicago is that we are actually a good franchise, can't say the same about the Bulls.

Enjoy watching the HEAT's reign of dominance in the East for another decade :)

beasted86
06-19-2014, 08:16 PM
But he only left when things were on the downswing. Quit when the road got tough and faced adversity. He left LA to eventually go to NY, then NY for Miami. Not exactly like he was sacrificing everything that a big market brings. His moves brought him success, but now he's asking his players to do something that he himself didn't do, and that's the definition of hypocrisy.

It's not as if he joined sure things when he moved. He has his name and "brand" to sacrifice if things blew up in his face. His moves didn't bring success... he brought success with his moves.

He left the Lakers after a a 60+ win season. Sure they had a disappointing playoff exit, but remember that he left a stacked team with the reigning 3x MVP in his prime. He wasn't forced out, he simply left because he wanted to be in charge and Buss wouldn't let him. He spent some time broadcasting and then took on a new challenge with a totally different type of team. He took over a sub .500 team that got swept by the Bulls and a year later they were pushing that same team to 7 games. At the end of the day, Riley left winning teams with MVP caliber players in their prime to take on a new challenge of a losing team. That's not exactly "looking for an exit" like you are trying to insinuate.

beasted86
06-19-2014, 08:21 PM
:laugh:

Sorry, but Miami isn't Chicago. We won't go on a 16 year hiatus from the finals and pretend we're a good organization.

The difference between Miami and Chicago is that we are actually a good franchise, can't say the same about the Bulls.

Enjoy watching the HEAT's reign of dominance in the East for another decade :)

Bingo. The GOAT player that has a statue built in front of the arena literally hates the team because of its trash owner.

kingsdelez24
06-19-2014, 08:22 PM
Lol Glen Rice was traded for Alonzo Mourning. Any gm would have done that

GiantsSwaGG
06-19-2014, 08:26 PM
If LeBron goes, watch Riley quit :laugh:

blahblahyoutoo
06-19-2014, 08:29 PM
i agree that riley is being hypocritical to a degree, but agree with his message as well.
if the big 3 leave because they don't win every year, F em.
anyone that doesn't consider 4 straight finals a success is delusional. why blow it up after losing in the finals. all that means is you need a tweak here or there; not a rebuild.

ATX
06-19-2014, 08:30 PM
He is a ****ing *** hole. He is pissed at us............ ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

What a douche bag low rent piece of ****

My God you're annoying.

ILLUSIONIST^248
06-19-2014, 08:36 PM
Pat Riley: Don't do the same exact thing I did 19 years ago (almost to the day)... and the same thing you guys did 4 years ago...

Where's my hair gel?

Lol

RaiderLakersA's
06-19-2014, 08:45 PM

It all goes back to the fact that LBJ, Bosh and Wade all colluded to team up in the first place. That's fine, it's their right. But let's not go to far in giving Riles credit for that "coup."

Now Riles has to earn his keep, and he's quickly finding out that he has to go to his bag of tricks early and often. Yeah, shame a hired gun to stay -- and for less pay -- and call it loyalty? We'll see how that works out.

king4day
06-19-2014, 08:46 PM

That's the first thing I thought when I heard this. Hypocritical.

Tony_Starks
06-19-2014, 09:26 PM
Riley is the man. Resume is impeccable. He basically said I'm not begging anybody to stay in Miami but if you can man up and want to continue to learn what it means to be a contender every year then stick around. If not kick rocks.....

ewing
06-19-2014, 09:36 PM
at least when we booed him out of the Garden he said bring it on. riley has no loyalty. he is ruthless.

tr3ymill3r
06-19-2014, 09:52 PM
he scurred.

JasonJohnHorn
06-19-2014, 09:53 PM

First bold: Do you actually understand what this means? Lebron was given nothing for 7 years on the Cavs, good teammates-wise. Lebron had the opportunity to leave the Cavs back in 2007, but he signed an extension. Obviously believing in Cavs' management to supply him with a decent supporting cast. Unfortunately, we all know how that turned out.

Riley didnt give LBJ a championship team, LBJ gave Riley one. He took a pay cut.

Then comes 2010, hes a free agent. To say Lebron ran out the first door he could is ignorant. As we know that's not true. He tried to help win a championship in Cleveland, but they never provided the proper weapons. Even though they had the best player since MJ, they f'd up. He deserved a team willing to go all out and win. And that's what he got.
I didnt' disgree. I'm saying: LBJ left Cleveland for a better chance to win' why should he leave Miami for the same reason? What right does Riley have to put this to a 'loyalty' issue? LBJ came to Miami, NOT because he was 'loyal' to Miami or Riley, but because he wanted to win. Period. So why shoudln't he leave if he can find a better situation?

What I mean is there was no way Riley could have said this based off of James' and Bosh's past contracts. Because they didn't run at the first chance. They stayed, weren't helped, so rightfully left at the end of their extensions.

What do you mean they stayed? They both bolted the first time they were restricted free agents? They couldn't ahve left before then unless the team let them walk.

There was a report this past season that the 76ers were offering to trade Evan Turner to the Heat for Udonis Haslem. Turner may have helped the Heat with off the bench scoring, but Riley decided not to trade UD because he took less money to play here. He decided to not partially boost offensive bench production so that UD could stay here. If that's not loyalty, what is?

That was bad trade. The Heat had not depth at power forward and center, and had five SF, why would they give up a good rebounder (perhaps the best on the team) for a guy who can't shoot theball? That's not loyalty. Had the Bulls offered up Boozer or the Knicks Amare, then we'd see if Miami woudl be loyal to Haslem (whose rights they rescinded to sign Bosh and who had to take a major pay cut to stay with the team).

So Riley is loyal to Haslem because he didn't trade for a $#!TTY SF when they already have LBJ, Battier, Rashard and Beasley to play?

Glen Rice trade was for someone named Alonzo Mourning and that Odom trade was for a nobody, Shaq. You DO NOT PASS THIS S**T UP.

I agree... but don't talk about loyalty and how players who come to Miami get to stay when you WILL trade them for a better player in a heart beat.

If Riley is going to trade any player he can for a better player, then why shouldnt any one of his players leave Miami for a better team?

therealwd27
06-19-2014, 10:11 PM

You've basically said all of this in your post, but the bolded part can not be true based on the part of your post saying the same thing I have said. (confusing?)

What I think Riley means is this: This team was built to win. Plain and simple. They win 2 finals in a row and are feeling great. They make it through the possible 3-peat playoffs swiftly. Then comes the finals. They get pounded by a smarter and more consistent team. What would they think after being humiliated on the "biggest stage"? They would think that this team was built for winning, and we just got our butts handed to us, so why be here?

Riley then says don't run out the first door at the opportunity, have the guts to swallow this loss, get back up, come back next season, and take that trophy back. He was not saying this back in 2010, the big 3's former teams failed them and so he showed them an opportunity to succeed.

Oh and for the second bolded part: There was a report this past season that the 76ers were offering to trade Evan Turner to the Heat for Udonis Haslem. Turner may have helped the Heat with off the bench scoring, but Riley decided not to trade UD because he took less money to play here. He decided to not partially boost offensive bench production so that UD could stay here. If that's not loyalty, what is? And we are talking about modern Riley, not 1996 Riley. And by the way, the Glen Rice trade was for someone named Alonzo Mourning and that Odom trade was for a nobody, Shaq. You DO NOT PASS THIS S**T UP.

This. You should post more often.

kobe4thewinbang
06-19-2014, 10:14 PM
I think Riley would like to keep Bosh around, so he can trade him rather than just up and losing him. The other guys suck and are totally expendable, outside of LBJ (who will obviously resign) and Wade. Riley needs to get on that phone and start calling UFAs.

ink
06-19-2014, 10:23 PM
It sounds hypocritical. Still if I were Riley I would expect some trust from a team that I put together that made four straight finals and won back to back titles. It isn't like he doesn't have a good track record. He has made big moves to win in Miami trading for Shaq, planning ahead to save cap space to make a run at Lebron and Bosh. I think he is one of the better front office guys in the NBA, if not loyalty he should at least have earned enough trust that players know he will do what it takes to compete at a high level.

100% agree.

Darc Mind
06-19-2014, 10:38 PM
What is it with this loyalty s**t? What franchise dosent trade players? I mean even the Spurs make trades to better their team and they are supposed to be the most loyal franchise.

jmaest
06-19-2014, 10:54 PM
at least when we booed him out of the Garden he said bring it on. riley has no loyalty. he is ruthless.

^ This.

I love Riley. I think he's the GOAT. His book, The Winner Within, is one of the best books any manager or team builder can ever read. It's amazing.

Having said that, Riley has always been short on loyalty. Everyone has a shortcoming I guess...

IKnowHoops
06-19-2014, 11:41 PM
Maybe his comments apply to a team that has won 2 out of 4 championships with the current core, and finals trips all 4 years?

I think Wade, LeBron, and Bosh all got what they were looking for when they signed with the team in 2010.

There's going to be a lot of Miami haters on here, but Riley is the Godfather and all he did today at that press conference is spit fire. Quotable gold throughout. I wouldn't trade this guy for any other GM in the league.

As you know, I am a Lebron fan that cheers for the team he is on because he is my favorite player in the league currently. Lebron did not get 4 straight rings so he didn't get what he was looking for. He had to carry a heavy load this year, so that not what he was looking for. The heat had great success, but I guarantee you Lebron is not as happy with this team as he thought he would be when he signed.

All-In
06-20-2014, 12:31 AM
Pat just lost the NBA finals.....Do you really think he gives a flying poop about what hes saying? I'm pretty sure before the press conference he wasn't asking himself, "Maybe I shouldn't say those things...it might come off hypocritical" and I still don't get how hes being a hypocrite? You can describe Pat as upset, frustrated, uncertain, worried, scared, nervous, anxious but hypocrite? I think some people are reaching on this one

Hotone1401
06-20-2014, 12:59 AM
Building a team organically requires that you either have a offensive system in place or you have a superstar who is the system like Lebron. The Lebron system will travel with him whoever he goes. All he needs is for Miami to find the right supporting group and they'll be fine.

When you talk about building teams organically, you got to consider there aren't any true offensive systems in the league in recent years that have established success other than Jerry Sloan's offense, the triangle, and Pop's system (which shows flashes of the triangle in many instances). Unless you have those basketball minds, you pretty much have to rely on having your franchise player carry the team for you.

Riley is trying to fool everyone.

JayW_1023
06-20-2014, 01:59 AM
The same guy who ousted SVG. SMH

FlashBolt
06-20-2014, 02:08 AM
Pat Riley is a boss and he knows what he is doing. He is right and this is not even close to what happened in 2010. 2010, they were all losers. 2014, they are winners. Let's not forget, Miami can enter the Finals for 5 years in a row. This is a dynasty if they can continue winning. 2/4 isn't exactly great but Pat brings up a good point. No one will ever say Duncan never three peated.. Sure, an achievement but 5 rings in 17 years shows just how tough it is even for a great franchise like the Spurs. Completely two different situations.. Wade has 3 rings, Bron/Bosh each have 2. He's telling them that this is what comes with winning - dealing with losing. No great team has won and not lost. Look at Larry, Magic, even Jordan lost. Miami has a chance to be great and it all starts with every player committing to taking less and doing more. Riley is a genius.

Hotone1401
06-20-2014, 02:45 AM
Pat Riley is a boss and he knows what he is doing. He is right and this is not even close to what happened in 2010. 2010, they were all losers. 2014, they are winners. Let's not forget, Miami can enter the Finals for 5 years in a row. This is a dynasty if they can continue winning. 2/4 isn't exactly great but Pat brings up a good point. No one will ever say Duncan never three peated.. Sure, an achievement but 5 rings in 17 years shows just how tough it is even for a great franchise like the Spurs. Completely two different situations.. Wade has 3 rings, Bron/Bosh each have 2. He's telling them that this is what comes with winning - dealing with losing. No great team has won and not lost. Look at Larry, Magic, even Jordan lost. Miami has a chance to be great and it all starts with every player committing to taking less and doing more. Riley is a genius.

Lol, shut up. You sound like the ultimate fanboy.

FlashBolt
06-20-2014, 03:05 AM
Lol, shut up. You sound like the ultimate fanboy.

And you sound like someone who hates the Heat so much that you will disagree with anything that has Miami on the upside. Get a grip. I only like Pat Riley because of his swagger. Nonetheless, he is right. Miami has gotten to the finals four years in a row and can ultimately be there for the next 3-4 years if planned correctly. Did something I say upset you and the Lakers? Maybe it has something to do with Kobe taking 23/25 million respectively over the next two seasons and the fact no one wants to play with Kobe.

slashsnake
06-20-2014, 03:09 AM
The same guy who ousted SVG. SMH

You play .500 ball for 1/4 of the season with a championship contending team, you are going to get the boot. No reason to settle for mediocrity there. I guess we should blame Riley, because Stan would still probably be fighting for a division II college job if Riley hadn't hired him in the first place a decade earlier.

IKnowHoops
06-20-2014, 03:22 AM
Riley is a boss though. Anyone saying otherwise is hating. Hypocrite? Probably. But number one is get the job done and if you have to wade in hypocritical waters to win, then you dive in head first.

Bostonjorge
06-20-2014, 03:23 AM
It's sounds like James let Riley know that he can't get any better in the offseason to win another title. I'm guessing he told Riley that he knows of a way and Riley is pissed because we all now what that means. It sounds like Riley was calling lebron a coward.

TylerSL
06-20-2014, 03:48 AM
you are right when you say that he is now preaching loyalty to Lebron and Bosh when it was the exact opposite 4 years ago, but you are just dead wrong when you say that Riley is not loyal, Riley is extremely loyal to his guys. Take Erik Spoelstra for example, a guy who was with the organization for 14 years working his way up before being named head coach. Tell me how many 25 year old video coordinators get the opportunity to work their way up the organization all the way to becoming head coach. Riley's Heat gave Spoelstra that chance.

Alonzo Mourning is another perfect example. Zo was only acquired by Miami through trade in 1995 and became the center piece to some tough mid-late 90's Heat teams. Riley brought Zo back to the team even after his career threatening kidney injury. He even kept Mourning in the organization after he ended his playing career, naming him Vice President of Player Programs and Development only months after retiring, a job he still holds today.

Tim Hardaway yet another example, as he was only acquired through trade in 1996. He was the #1 scoring option on some really good Heat teams and Riley has always remained loyal to him. He was hired on as a scout for years after retiring and the Heat organization bought his house off him after he got in deep with the IRS in 2011, and let him remain living in his house after the sale.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/The-Heat-bail-out-Tim-Hardaway-and-his-mansion?urn=nba-313428

Riley and the Heat will be as loyal with Wade and Haslem as they were with Zo and Hardaway, if not more so because Miami has actually won multiple championships since they've been with the team. Lebron and Bosh will only receive such loyalty if they prove their loyalty and devotion to the organization by staying with the team. Again, to say Riley is not loyal is just foolish.

Melo15
06-20-2014, 07:12 AM
One NBA team prez said Heat prez Pat Riley appeared nervous about keeping LeBron in his long, odd presser & more teams will make a pitch now

-Marc Spears (https://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo/status/479797256892084225)

ewmania
06-20-2014, 07:32 AM
pat riley should be the last guy talking about loyalty or whatever the hell that even means
this is the NBA with paychecks and playing time
this isn't no wedding show
coaches, GMs, players, trainers, etc are all here for 2 things
basketball and money. there's no other way around it
let me be apart of basketball and give me my money
and they all have a choice to decide where they sign the dotted line
lebron doesn't owe anybody any loyalty because if his points was 10pts less than they are now
no GM, owner, fan would have any real loyalty to him

ewmania
06-20-2014, 07:34 AM
speaking of GM loyalty
didn't shaq get traded to PHX and he found out by watching tv?

JC_
06-20-2014, 09:15 AM
I watched it and just got the vibe that he feels they are building something special in Miami. They have a special core similar to great teams like SA and they are putting down roots/embracing the community.

Also, the Eastern conference is pretty bad outside of Miami right now so they are still the best option for most guys in the league that want a taste of the finals.

beasted86
06-20-2014, 10:33 AM
As you know, I am a Lebron fan that cheers for the team he is on because he is my favorite player in the league currently. Lebron did not get 4 straight rings so he didn't get what he was looking for. He had to carry a heavy load this year, so that not what he was looking for. The heat had great success, but I guarantee you Lebron is not as happy with this team as he thought he would be when he signed.
If you told any player signing a contract, you will be in the Finals for the next 4 years of your contract, but the results are undetermined, pretty much every player would sign that deal if the money was fair, which it was.

I don't think LeBron was looking to buy championships. If he was, and wanted the easy way out and truly thought "Let me sign with this team because it's going to be easy".... then he surely deserves all the criticism he's got for the decision if that's the case.

But I don't think that's the case. He was looking for a team capable of competing year in and year out, and that's what he got. He was looking to win multiple championships, and that's what he got. Now it's time to retool. If he sees the road map set up by Riley and doesn't think the team can continue to compete and there are better options on his mind, then sure, he's a free agent and can go wherever he decides. But he surely shouldn't look at what the HEAT built over the last 4 as a failed experiment or think Riley failed him as a GM to build a good team around him like Ferry failed in Cleveland. That's where he would be wrong.

beasted86
06-20-2014, 10:40 AM
speaking of GM loyalty

Was that before or after he trashed Riley publicly saying the team sucked, it's medical staff sucked, and he wanted out?

Heatcheck
06-20-2014, 10:52 AM
speaking of GM loyalty

I agree with the first post, this ones off a bit. Shaq spent half a season *****ing and moaning that he wanted to leave. he stopped trying after training camp and was running his mouth off like a women. that was just karma.

^this guy beat me to it

Heatcheck
06-20-2014, 10:59 AM
you can crap over riley all you want...LeBron and bosh were wasting away at garbage franchises (by that I mean they had incompetent FOs), in cities that cant attract big name free agents. he had the foresight to free up the cap space, even though wade wanted help the year before, and made it happen the next.

He drafted chalmers, cole, haslem, and wade and signed Andersen off the street. all of whom have rings.

he's right, you don't bail at the first sign of trouble, you trust the same organization that put 4 finals and 2 championships together to work it out. to compare that to waiting 7 years for some help and be expected to wait another 4 til your in your 30s is just stupid.

FlashBolt
06-20-2014, 01:35 PM
It's sounds like James let Riley know that he can't get any better in the offseason to win another title. I'm guessing he told Riley that he knows of a way and Riley is pissed because we all now what that means. It sounds like Riley was calling lebron a coward.

And you had instant access to their conversation or are you just assuming things like always?

jmaest
06-20-2014, 01:57 PM
you can crap over riley all you want...LeBron and bosh were wasting away at garbage franchises (by that I mean they had incompetent FOs), in cities that cant attract big name free agents. he had the foresight to free up the cap space, even though wade wanted help the year before, and made it happen the next.

He drafted chalmers, cole, haslem, and wade and signed Andersen off the street. all of whom have rings.

he's right, you don't bail at the first sign of trouble, you trust the same organization that put 4 finals and 2 championships together to work it out. to compare that to waiting 7 years for some help and be expected to wait another 4 til your in your 30s is just stupid.

When looking at the history of the NBA, bad front offices & players with bad attitude go hand in hand.

Quite frankly I'm tired of this defense of Lebron. What exactly were Cleveland & Toronto supposed to do?? What pieces did they have available to make a big splash in a trade? Even if they could have made a big splash via trade, it would have come by gutting both teams.

Bosh could have wound up in Cleveland in a deal that would have been mutually beneficial to everyone:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5357607

This nonsense about "garbage FO" or "bad owners" is just that. Nonsense.

D-Leethal
06-20-2014, 02:03 PM
LMFAO, Pat the Rat, meet Kettle.

Heatcheck
06-20-2014, 02:28 PM
It all goes back to the fact that LBJ, Bosh and Wade all colluded to team up in the first place. That's fine, it's their right. But let's not go to far in giving Riles credit for that "coup."

Now Riles has to earn his keep, and he's quickly finding out that he has to go to his bag of tricks early and often. Yeah, shame a hired gun to stay -- and for less pay -- and call it loyalty? We'll see how that works out.

thank god we have someone whos never met any of the people involved, to tell us how it went down

Heatcheck
06-20-2014, 02:36 PM
When looking at the history of the NBA, bad front offices & players with bad attitude go hand in hand.

Quite frankly I'm tired of this defense of Lebron. What exactly were Cleveland & Toronto supposed to do?? What pieces did they have available to make a big splash in a trade? Even if they could have made a big splash via trade, it would have come by gutting both teams.

Bosh could have wound up in Cleveland in a deal that would have been mutually beneficial to everyone:

they drafted horribly, especially Toronto, and made poor trade decisions (i.e. not trading for Amare because they didn't want to part with hickson). and like I said, they aren't very attractive FA destinations.

So your Ok with bosh going to Cleveland for crap, but Miami for picks, that's just wrong. and no Varejao and some guys who don't even play anymore isn't mutually beneficial.

c.c.
06-20-2014, 02:38 PM
Lol I hope LeBron sees this some how

Dade County
06-20-2014, 02:50 PM

So are you saying that you dislike that Bosh didn't try to push for a sign & trade to go to the Cav's? If Bosh wanted to become a free agent (which he has a right too), who is anyone to tell him that he made the wrong move.

What does this have to do with Bosh? Why should he care if all parties involve would have benefited? The man did not want anything to do with the Cav's, and I hope you are not saying that he is wrong for that.

Bostonjorge
06-20-2014, 06:07 PM
And you had instant access to their conversation or are you just assuming things like always?

Well it did sound like Riley was calling James and co cowards. Riley was quoted in original post. Every thing else I just filled in the blanks using the best knowledge we know about king James.

LongIslandIcedZ
06-20-2014, 06:22 PM
I would be interested to see how they would look if you put Bosh on this current Raptors team.

They'd probably be pretty damn good.