PDA

View Full Version : Embiid suffers foot injury

chi-townlove1
06-19-2014, 11:58 AM
Joel Embiid suffers foot injury
Jeff Goodman [ARCHIVE]

ESPN.com | June 19, 2014

Joel Embiid, considered the front-runner to be the No. 1 overall pick in the NBA draft, has suffered a right foot injury, his agent and his mentor both confirmed to ESPN.com on Thursday.

"He suffered a foot injury to his right foot, sometime over the last few days,'' agent Arn Tellem told ESPN's Andy Katz by phone Thursday. "He's getting evaluations from various doctors and experts in the field. We'll know more Friday.''

Cooper Neill/Getty Images
Joel Embiid averaged 11.2 points, 8.1 rebounds and 2.6 blocks this past season as a freshman at Kansas.
One source told ESPN.com that Embiid "may have broken" his foot, but Tellem wouldn't speculate on the seriousness of the injury until he had heard back from doctors. Tellem also said it was unlikely he would be doing any more workouts before the draft, which is June 26.

Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, Embiid's mentor, also was not certain as to the extent of the injury.

"I just heard he got hurt," said Mbah a Moute, who is overseas.

Embiid was scheduled to work out for Milwaukee Bucks, who hold the second overall pick, later this week.

The 7-foot native of Cameroon was already dealing with health questions regarding his back, which forced him to miss the Big 12 and NCAA tournament.

He worked out for the Cleveland Cavaliers earlier this month -- who have the No. 1 overall pick in the draft -- and sources said he fared well and the medical testing also came back without much concern.

Embiid also participated in a 1-on-0 workout in front of NBA teams in Santa Monica, Calif.

Embiid averaged 11.2 points, 8.1 rebounds and 2.6 blocks this past season as a freshman at Kansas.

Cleveland could also opt to select Duke freshman Jabari Parker or Kansas wing Andrew Wiggins with the No. 1 overall pick.

ESPN's Andy Katz and ESPN NBA Insider Chad Ford contributed to this report.

ManRam
06-19-2014, 12:01 PM
The Cavs HAVE to take Exum now. It's their obligation to botch this. This is their chance to find a way to NOT take Embiid/Parker/Wiggins. Do it for us, Cleveland!

Edit: Woj said the Cavs were bringing in Exum for a workout, BTW. :laugh2:

bulls_world23
06-19-2014, 12:06 PM
This could be a blessing in disguise. Maybe Cleveland will do the right move now and take Wiggins.

NYMetros
06-19-2014, 12:10 PM
Take Wiggins Cleveland.

Arch Stanton
06-19-2014, 12:11 PM
This blows! I really like Embiid. Depending on the severity of the injury, I'd still be tempted to take Embiid.

Teeboy1487
06-19-2014, 12:14 PM
If I'm Cleveland, I would be talking to the 76ers to trade down, get an extra pick, and gain Thaddeous Young. If they indeed want to still get Embiid, select him at 3 and gain an extra pick.

MagicBucsSox
06-19-2014, 12:19 PM
If I'm Cleveland, I would be talking to the 76ers to trade down, get an extra pick, and gain Thaddeous Young. If they indeed want to still get Embiid, select him at 3 and gain an extra pick.

Lmao Philly's offer is a SNL skit compared to what Orlando could offer if they want that pick.

SeoulBeatz
06-19-2014, 12:26 PM

Lol, I like the optimism but there's no way Cleveland still takes Embiid. Especially if he broke his foot (like the rumors imply).

After this injury it's going to be Wiggins, Parker, then Embiid.

Welcome to the Sixers buddy. But for ****s sake stay healthy.

SeoulBeatz
06-19-2014, 12:28 PM
Lmao Philly's offer is a SNL skit compared to what Orlando could offer if they want that pick.

I agree the Thad offer is laughable, but were the Magic ever really in play in the first place?

They have more assets than Philly but they only have the #4 and #12 pick. They were on the outside looking in, and I doubt the Cavs would want to move down to #4 if they had their eyes set on Embiid.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
06-19-2014, 12:40 PM
This has to make sixer fans cringe ...

It was really looking like wiggins would still fall to them at 3 with embiid going 1 and bucks seeming to like Parker at 2 ... now I can deff see Wiggins 1 and Parker 2 .... leaving sixers with choosing between embiid exum vonleh or randle

MagicBucsSox
06-19-2014, 12:49 PM
I agree the Thad offer is laughable, but were the Magic ever really in play in the first place?

They have more assets than Philly but they only have the #4 and #12 pick. They were on the outside looking in, and I doubt the Cavs would want to move down to #4 if they had their eyes set on Embiid.
Ok being I said "If they want that pick". Quick scenario: hey Cleveland your eyeing a center? Ok we have one.22years old and already a double double guy and a top 3 rebounder. Oh I'll add in Tobias Harris and if you got some bad contracts I'll take them too.
And what's the big deal moving down to 4 if they're now working out a guy mocked at 4 in Exum?

MagicBucsSox
06-19-2014, 12:50 PM
This has to make sixer fans cringe ...

It was really looking like wiggins would still fall to them at 3 with embiid going 1 and bucks seeming to like Parker at 2 ... now I can deff see Wiggins 1 and Parker 2 .... leaving sixers with choosing between embiid exum vonleh or randle

Wiggins and Parker are going 1/2 and it was never gonna be different

kobe4thewinbang
06-19-2014, 12:52 PM
How do you break your foot a week before the draft? What the heck was he doing?

MagicBucsSox
06-19-2014, 12:54 PM

@WojYahooNBA: Cleveland doctors discovered right foot injury in exams and passed info onto Embiid reps, sources tell Yahoo. Fear is a right foot fracture.
Damn, Yao alert !!!!!

Dude it can happen walking around the house

ManRam
06-19-2014, 12:55 PM

You can break a foot doing anything. Fluke injuries happen.

Hell, he could have done it playing basketball too. Working out for a team...or just working out, period.

abe_froman
06-19-2014, 12:57 PM
that sucks for wiggins and the sixers,they were angling so hard for one another

kozelkid
06-19-2014, 01:01 PM

Hell, he could have done it playing basketball too. Working out for a team...or just working out, period.

I bet he was a bowling. What an *******.

Wade n Fade
06-19-2014, 01:02 PM
I never understood the hype around Embiid. Is he popular because of his potential like Andre Drummond had coming out of UConn? He wasn't a 20 and 10 guy at Kansas. He missed a ton of games w/his back. He suffers this foot injury. I think his potential to bust just grew a bit higher.

abe_froman
06-19-2014, 01:05 PM
I never understood the hype around Embiid. Is he popular because of his potential like Andre Drummond had coming out of UConn? He wasn't a 20 and 10 guy at Kansas. He missed a ton of games w/his back. He suffers this foot injury. I think his potential to bust just grew a bit higher.
he was externally impactful ,the main motor for kansas(yes over wiggins,who was disappointing) and was the most polished/skilled big prospect in some years .there was a lot of good things to make him the top pick like prospect

muelly
06-19-2014, 01:10 PM
he was externally impactful ,the main motor for kansas(yes over wiggins,who was disappointing) and was the most polished/skilled big prospect in some years .there was a lot of good things to make him the top pick like prospect

If it goes

Wiggins
Parker
Embiid

Can it really get worse for Philly? They already have Noel coming off an injury and they'd have 0 offense. If they suck again and land top pick next year they have no use for Okafor. Of course if they both work out Noel/Embiid that's one heck of a defensive pairing, but it's a big IF and theres no real way they can both play at same time is there?

MagicBucsSox
06-19-2014, 01:10 PM

And who was a 20\10 guy in college as a freshman? Jabari nearly was and gets treated like crap

abe_froman
06-19-2014, 01:17 PM
If it goes

Wiggins
Parker
Embiid

Can it really get worse for Philly? They already have Noel coming off an injury and they'd have 0 offense. If they suck again and land top pick next year they have no use for Okafor. Of course if they both work out Noel/Embiid that's one heck of a defensive pairing, but it's a big IF and theres no real way they can both play at same time is there?
i wouldnt see noel/embiid a bad thing,thats a young twin towers thing with loads of potential ,and think that exum would be a serious thought for them now

muelly
06-19-2014, 01:24 PM
i wouldnt see noel/embiid a bad thing,thats a young twin towers thing with loads of potential ,and think that exum would be a serious thought for them now

Exum/MCW would be a pretty poor shooting backcourt but would give defenses fits with their first steps. Orlando doesn't need a C unless they unload theirs or move him to the 4, does Embiid slide?

abe_froman
06-19-2014, 01:30 PM
Exum/MCW would be a pretty poor shooting backcourt but would give defenses fits with their first steps. Orlando doesn't need a C unless they unload theirs or move him to the 4, does Embiid slide?
he might,but not as far as laker/celtics fans are hoping.it should be healed before summer league,and apparently he was doing workouts with it:shocked:.as for orlando could always trade vuc.i'd be surprised(and think it'd be a mistake)if he dropped past 5

muelly
06-19-2014, 01:33 PM
he might,but not as far as laker/celtics fans are hoping.it should be healed before summer league,and apparently he was doing workouts with it:shocked:.as for orlando could always trade vuc.i'd be surprised(and think it'd be a mistake)if he dropped past 5

What if he's actually healthy and some strange reason actually dropped to Bos/LA? Have to believe in conspiracy's. This is the NBA afterall.

ManRam
06-19-2014, 01:37 PM

Wait, so unless you throw up 20-10 in college as a freshman you aren't worth any hype? Come on now. These teams aren't drafting guys because of how good they have been...they're drafting guys because of how good they will be years from now. None of these guys are even close to their primes. Embiid has the tools, it's just a matter of him growing into them. Could he bust? Of course. All of these guys could. Doesn't mean the obvious upside isn't there...and that certainly isn't proved by him not going for 20-10 in college. The guy has a very rare skill set. The intrigue is obvious.

Crackadalic
06-19-2014, 01:50 PM
He's going to fall like Noel did last year

Wouldn't be surprise if he fell out of the top 3 tbh

Wiggins
Parker
Exum
Embiid

Would the magic keep him or trade it if he falls there

Swift Game
06-19-2014, 01:59 PM
This blows! I really like Embiid. Depending on the severity of the injury, I'd still be tempted to take Embiid.

Remember the red flags thread on the Cavs potentially taking this guy?

I said the Cavs can't go wrong with Parker or Wiggins. And plenty can go wrong with Embiid.

You Said how do I know this....lol..stop baiting and learn your basketball before you speak bro. You look foolish without substance. And If you still would take a chance at a potential bust with major injuries to come I don't know what to tell you.

abe_froman
06-19-2014, 02:03 PM
He's going to fall like Noel did last year

Wouldn't be surprise if he fell out of the top 3 tbh

Wiggins
Parker
Exum
Embiid

Would the magic keep him or trade it if he falls there
he's a much better spec than noel and the injury isnt as serious.the farthest i see him falling is to the magic

Wade n Fade
06-19-2014, 02:03 PM
Wait, so unless you throw up 20-10 in college as a freshman you aren't worth any hype? Come on now. These teams aren't drafting guys because of how good they have been...they're drafting guys because of how good they will be years from now. None of these guys are even close to their primes. Embiid has the tools, it's just a matter of him growing into them. Could he bust? Of course. All of these guys could. Doesn't mean the obvious upside isn't there...and that certainly isn't proved by him not going for 20-10 in college. The guy has a very rare skill set. The intrigue is obvious.

I never said that it was a baseline for measuring hype or skillset. I just don't see the hype as much as others do. Greg Oden and Drummond were two of the best C prospects in the last 7 years, but Oden busted w/ injuries.

Wade n Fade
06-19-2014, 02:05 PM
And who was a 20\10 guy in college as a freshman? Jabari nearly was and gets treated like crap

Not many people can do that, but I am saying that he wasn't that statistic pair, so why are people act like he is that? Best prospect in years? That seems better, but some people think he will be the next Hakeem. I think Jabari is the best player in this draft imo. I think he will be better than Wiggins. I also like Parker's character too.

jerellh528
06-19-2014, 02:09 PM
This is a rumor leaked by embiids camp to avoid Cleveland hahah.
C'mon exum! Break your foot too ;)! We need you at 7.

WITZ
06-19-2014, 02:29 PM
Welp 76'er fans hopping for Wiggins just got a bit more nervous.

NoahH
06-19-2014, 02:38 PM
There's no way im taking Embiid if I'm a GM. Way too many red flags and he hasnt even been drafted

ManRam
06-19-2014, 02:53 PM
As a Magic fan, and I'm sure many disagree with me, there's no way in hell I'm passing up on him. He's got some flags, some of them might be red ones, but I'm not skipping on that talent. For us ever to pull off this rebuild-via-draft, we're gonna have to gamble and hit on some of those gambles. At 4 there's no pick that even touches the upside he possesses.

I am curious to hear more details about the specific nature of the injury, however. But I'm not running for the hills yet, at all. Yes, there have been bigs that have busted because of injuries, but that doesn't necessitate that Embiid will too. Definitely a risk, but I'm still willing to take it.

ManRam
06-19-2014, 03:11 PM
Stress fracture navicular bone...surgery tomorrow.

WITZ
06-19-2014, 03:17 PM
Shame it had to happen Cavs will get crucified if they even think about taking him now. Good thing this draft has 2 other stellar prospects to make up for this.

MagicBucsSox
06-19-2014, 03:20 PM
As a Magic fan, and I'm sure many disagree with me, there's no way in hell I'm passing up on him. He's got some flags, some of them might be red ones, but I'm not skipping on that talent. For us ever to pull off this rebuild-via-draft, we're gonna have to gamble and hit on some of those gambles. At 4 there's no pick that even touches the upside he possesses.

I am curious to hear more details about the specific nature of the injury, however. But I'm not running for the hills yet, at all. Yes, there have been bigs that have busted because of injuries, but that doesn't necessitate that Embiid will too. Definitely a risk, but I'm still willing to take it.

I can't agree. Your the top guy in our forum but I can't go with this

ManRam
06-19-2014, 03:28 PM
I can't agree. Your the top guy in our forum but I can't go with this

I don't expect everyone to. I'm not even going to try to pretend that I'm "right" about this either. I could very well be ridiculously wrong.

I'm just not ready to pass up on him. I've put he, Wiggins and Parker (a slightly lesser extent) on such a pedestal for so long. I understand this means red flags galore, but I still am not mentally prepared to let him slide. The dream has always been to get one of those three and I'm not bailing on it yet. Maybe I should...maybe I'm being emotional, but yeah...

Just gotta hope he's more like Blake than Greg.

LakersA's49ers
06-19-2014, 03:29 PM
This screws up the entire landscape of the draft. I know Orlando is looking hard at a guard, so if Philly takes Exum, could we REALLY see the Magic take Marcus Smart? Call me nuts, but I can see Embiid dropping to Utah at 5. Than Boston would take Vonleh/Gordon, and the Lakers would get the one Boston doesn't choose. My interest has peaked in this draft due to the Lakers being so high up.

LakersA's49ers
06-19-2014, 03:31 PM
Whoops, I completely forgot about Randle. I have no idea where he would fall too if Embiid drops

torocan
06-19-2014, 03:32 PM
If I was a conspiracy guy, the first question entering my mind would be...

Would YOU want to be drafted by Cleveland?

Embiid : Now where did I put that ball peen hammer...

NYMetros
06-19-2014, 03:35 PM
This screws up the entire landscape of the draft. I know Orlando is looking hard at a guard, so if Philly takes Exum, could we REALLY see the Magic take Marcus Smart? Call me nuts, but I can see Embiid dropping to Utah at 5. Than Boston would take Vonleh/Gordon, and the Lakers would get the one Boston doesn't choose. My interest has peaked in this draft due to the Lakers being so high up.

How would Embiid dropping to to #5 have any impact on who is available for LA? It's going to be one of Smart/Randle/Gordon/Vonleh regardless of if Embiid goes 1st or 5th. Unless he does drop to LA, but that is unlikely.

5ass
06-19-2014, 03:41 PM

I agree. :shrug:, hell if it was up to me we probably would've ended up with noel last year.

NYMetros
06-19-2014, 03:48 PM
Retweeted by Zach Lowe
Jeff Stotts ‏@RotowireATC 13m
A navicular fracture for Embiid is a HUGE blow. Much more significant than a metatarsal fracture.

Sounds pretty bad

how does that even happen in I'm assuming a workout? I mean really? Just dunking, post moves, drills, etc? guy is made of glass.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-19-2014, 03:50 PM
Perfect. Cavs will now trade their #1 to 76ers for the #3 so the 76ers get Wiggins, Bucks take Jabari and Cavs take Embiid.

Wade n Fade
06-19-2014, 03:50 PM

Why not take Exum? He's closer to a surer thing and will give you a PG to build around for years to come. Oladipo, Vucevic, Tobias Harris, Exum, and a filler is a start. I would try packaging Harris and Vucevic for a start if the package/deal makes sense.

ManRam
06-19-2014, 03:53 PM
Why not take Exum? He's closer to a surer thing and will give you a PG to build around for years to come. Oladipo, Vucevic, Tobias Harris, Exum, and a filler is a start. I would try packaging Harris and Vucevic for a start if the package/deal makes sense.

I guess the common thought is that Parker/Wiggins/Exum go 1-3 now. That's why.

THE MTL
06-19-2014, 04:10 PM
And so the injuries begins, I just don't trust this new brand of big men coming into the league nowadays. I wouldn't consider him in my top 3; there is too much risk in a deep draft. He is already proving to be an injury prone player. What he do? Workout? Smh

Yanks All Day
06-19-2014, 04:37 PM
The Cavs should have been looking at Jabari Parker the entire time anyway for the first overall pick.

Embiid has all the potential in the world, but how many big men have navigated back and leg injuries to have long, successful careers?

Wiggins is the most athletic player out there, but he's not nearly the offensive player that Jabari Parker is, and neither is a great defender. Jabari has an NBA-ready post game and jump shot. He's already a good rebounder. He succeeded for a season playing out of position for Duke.

Cleveland can't swing and miss again. They missed out on Bennett. They're on the verge of losing Kyrie Irving. You can't screw up so many top draft picks and hope that good free agents will come to your team and trust management. People love Wiggins because he has so much potential, but potential doesn't guarantee success. For every LeBron James, there's a thousand Sebastian Telfairs: guys who just never realized all their potential. If you're Cleveland, you have to go with the sure bet. Jabari Parker is the most polished NBA player available in this draft. He can come in and make an instant impact.

And if you really want to lure LeBron to Cleveland and keep Kyrie, you can always pitch the starting 5 of Kyrie-Waiters-Parker-LeBron-Varejao and become instant favorites in the east. Especially if they keep Thompson and Jack coming off the bench. The Cavs only have $32 million dedicated to 2014-15. Draft Jabari Parker and lure LeBron with the potential for so much more.

Lo Porto
06-19-2014, 05:01 PM
Here is what will happen:

Cavs pick Parker #1
Bucks pick Wiggins #2
Philly picks Vonleh #3
Orlando picks Smart or Exum #4
Boston trades #6 and #17 to Utah for #5 and #35. Boston selects Embiid
Utah selects Exum or Randle #6

Stunner
06-19-2014, 05:19 PM
https://twitter.com/rotowireatc/status/479710745379098624

https://twitter.com/rotowireatc/status/479711011583193088

FreeAgentZero
06-19-2014, 05:20 PM
The only thing that could've happened to him to make him fall in the draft happened. I was genuinely excited for him to come to the league but now the Oden comparisons have even more validity to them. If I'm the team that drafts him, I'm excited and terrified at the same time.

MrfadeawayJB
06-19-2014, 05:27 PM
@ChrisMannixSI: You will hear this a lot: Yao Ming, Bill Walton and Zydrunas Ilgauskas all had navicular fractures in their feet.

Wade n Fade
06-19-2014, 05:45 PM
I guess the common thought is that Parker/Wiggins/Exum go 1-3 now. That's why.

Smart is out of the question for your Magic?

HumJeez
06-19-2014, 05:46 PM
The Cavs should just trade down at this point.

Sadds The Gr8
06-19-2014, 05:47 PM
I think they go with Wiggins now but I think they should take Parker

Stunner
06-19-2014, 05:51 PM
Embiid prob should fall to the lakers lap , too much of a risk for the top 6 teams to take . Foot and back problems are a big no no for a 7 footer .

Stunner
06-19-2014, 05:52 PM
Parker is prob a Cav now , they always been high on him pre draft . Plus he gives them a better chance at making the playoffs because of his scoring .

Stunner
06-19-2014, 06:08 PM
My new mock

Cavs - Parker
Bucks - Wiggins
Sixers - Exum
Magic - Smart
Jazz - Vonleh
Boston - Gordon
Lakers - Embiid
Kings - Randle
Hornets - Nik
Sixers - ( trade , Saric , Doug , Hood )

PurpleLynch
06-19-2014, 06:11 PM
Damn another injury. It could be a blessing in disguise for LA,just because Embiid could be picked late in the draft(maybe out of the top 5 picks)...and just maybe at 7. But these injuries nagging him are worrying me.

celtics 34
06-19-2014, 06:16 PM
My new mock

Cavs - Parker
Bucks - Wiggins
Sixers - Exum
Magic - Smart
Jazz - Vonleh
Boston - Gordon
Lakers - Embiid
Kings - Randle
Hornets - Nik
Sixers - ( trade , Saric , Doug , Hood )

Yea embiid doesn't make it passed the celtics in fact they are trying to trade up to aquire him

Vinny642
06-19-2014, 06:17 PM
Tough situation

numba1CHANGsta
06-19-2014, 06:20 PM
Embiid is going to be a steal in the draft now, him and Randle

TheIlladelph16
06-19-2014, 06:31 PM
I have zero issue taking Embiid at #3 if he drops because of this. I would take him at #2 if I was the Bucks and even heavily consider it as the Cavs. Other than Wiggins, Embiid's upside is so much higher than anyone else in the draft.

Although, I would still defend the Oden over Durant pick to the death, so take my opinion on it as you will.

Stunner
06-19-2014, 06:45 PM
Philly shouldn't take that risk since they just drafted a big last year who missed the season with a leg injury . Doesn't make sense IMO eventhough it could be cool potentially.... but still too many red flags for a big .

JNA17
06-19-2014, 06:50 PM
So Embiid drops to the Lakers's lap and then Embiid's agent goes "oh my gosh, his foot is now 100%, it's a miracle lol!"

(NBA conspiracy: Embiid's agent plans this so that he doesn't go to the Cavs and plays for the Lakers instead)

As a Lakers fan, yes please teams, pass on Embiid, I'll take him and welcome him with open arms. :)

dcenate05050
06-19-2014, 06:52 PM
Philly will take him.. They love injured bigs.. Bynum , Noel;)

IKnowHoops
06-19-2014, 06:53 PM
If it goes

Wiggins
Parker
Embiid

I think getting Emblid for the sixes would be amazing. You can sit him the whole year just like you did Noel. Suck again, and position yourself for the #1 pick again. Maybe even rest Noel till the second half of the season just to ensure a poor record. Then after next year you Have MCW, 1st pick, Noel, Emblid as a nucleus. Thats exciting and well worth the gamble. No need to try and stress winning now with Lebron still in the league and in his prime. Just suck long enough for Bron to get out of his prime, get draft picks and then all of a sudden become a power. Well worth the risk with the landscape of the NBA as it is right now.

jerellh528
06-19-2014, 07:06 PM
I think getting Emblid for the sixes would be amazing. You can sit him the whole year just like you did Noel. Suck again, and position yourself for the #1 pick again. Maybe even rest Noel till the second half of the season just to ensure a poor record. Then after next year you Have MCW, 1st pick, Noel, Emblid as a nucleus. Thats exciting and well worth the gamble. No need to try and stress winning now with Lebron still in the league and in his prime. Just suck long enough for Bron to get out of his prime, get draft picks and then all of a sudden become a power. Well worth the risk with the landscape of the NBA as it is right now.

This post gave me cancer

JNA17
06-19-2014, 07:17 PM

That worked so well for the Kings since the Webber era.

...wait

Vinny642
06-19-2014, 07:24 PM
This post gave me cancer

It was a rough one

PurpleLynch
06-19-2014, 07:24 PM

Sorry man,but I disagree with your logic. The fact that Lebron is still in the league doesn't mean that's impossible to other teams to win the championship(SA&Dallas are proofs). Plus Lebron is past his prime and his team too,even if James is aging very very well(and his skills are getting better).
Noel/Embiid doesn't work,they are both centers,one extremely skilled on both ends for a player who has played bball for 4 years,while Noel is an unknown player,who was described as very raw on offense,with limited post game,very athletic and good on defense.You can't play both at the same time and you need to get them minutes to develop their games.
Philly must pick Wiggins or Parker,that's all.They need a sf.Then you have a good and young core.

NYKNYGNYY
06-19-2014, 07:26 PM
were was the cavs fan who laughed at me when I said he was injury prone?

NBA_Starter
06-19-2014, 08:01 PM
Damn another injury. It could be a blessing in disguise for LA,just because Embiid could be picked late in the draft(maybe out of the top 5 picks)...and just maybe at 7. But these injuries nagging him are worrying me.

Somebody at the back of the Top 10 has to take that chance if he is still on the board.

abe_froman
06-19-2014, 08:01 PM
Probasketballdraft @Probballdraft
Hearing the Cavs and Jazz have discussed a swap of picks. Jazz would move up to take Parker and Cavs would likely get Favors and 5.
probably related to the news

JNA17
06-19-2014, 08:16 PM

Why in the world would the the Jazz do that? I could see them trying to move up for Parker but not at the cost of Favors.

Melo15
06-19-2014, 08:19 PM

I'm not saying it's not true, but I would highly question any rumors that Joe Kotoch starts. He's known for making rumors up; especially around draft time. He's the type of "insider" that often throws things against the wall to see if they stick. Again, I'm not saying he's 100% wrong, maybe he has a better source now that Griffin's GM, but he's been dead wrong on most things Cavs for the past few years.

Stunner
06-19-2014, 08:19 PM
Why in the world would the the Jazz do that? I could see them trying to move up for Parker but not at the cost of Favors.

Use the cap space to go after Monroe .

abe_froman
06-19-2014, 08:23 PM

i could see it.parker in slc would be huge,having their own mormon superstar and all.

not saying its true ,but just saw it out there

JNA17
06-19-2014, 08:23 PM
Use the cap space to go after Monroe .

Kinda a risk unless they plan to max Monroe. Even then it's still a risk since the Pistons can match if they choose too.

Even then...eh. I guess this way the Jazz finally get their Mormon player that all of Utah will worship for years to come lol.

cooters22
06-19-2014, 08:27 PM
I have zero issue taking Embiid at #3 if he drops because of this. I would take him at #2 if I was the Bucks and even heavily consider it as the Cavs. Other than Wiggins, Embiid's upside is so much higher than anyone else in the draft.

Although, I would still defend the Oden over Durant pick to the death, so take my opinion on it as you will.

On behalf of the Bucks, I hope not. He really didn't want to work out for them. He may or may not want to play for them, but he wasn't running in to work out for them with open arms. So signability may be a issue down the road. Plus he's made of glass, there are 3 players I'd take now over him in this draft.

Hawkamania
06-19-2014, 08:52 PM

If the Cavs have an assurance that the Bucks will take their rumored favorite Parker at #2, I totally agree with you.

JNA17
06-19-2014, 09:03 PM
Also if the jazz want to trade up for Parker, they should trade Hayward not Favors. Hayward sucks but for some reason people overrate him anyway. So get value out of him while they still can and all that.

UPRock
06-19-2014, 09:17 PM
Kanter, pick #5 and Burks for the #1 pick

NBA_Starter
06-19-2014, 09:29 PM

Thats a pretty good deal.

kobe4thewinbang
06-19-2014, 10:01 PM

Hell, he could have done it playing basketball too. Working out for a team...or just working out, period.I get it, but damn. He's played ball for years. Has he ever broken his foot before? It is not a frequent thing.

Lakers + Giants
06-19-2014, 10:38 PM

I completely agree. Im hoping like hell he can fall to #7 but that's not going to happen, this could affect where Exum gets drafted tho, I hope he falls to us.

:hope:

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
06-19-2014, 10:42 PM
I get it, but damn. He's played ball for years. Has he ever broken his foot before? It is not a frequent thing.

No just knee problems and back problems prior to this broken foot.... in his 4 years of playing ball. .... no bigs

FriedTofuz
06-20-2014, 03:46 AM
It seems as if a ton of people on PSD think of BUST when they think of Top Projected bigs with health circumstances or history. I know bigs can taker longer to develop, but if you know anyhting or even watch kansas you'd realize why Emiid could be considered for the number one overall pick. He aint no Greg Oden, so please get educated.

FriedTofuz
06-20-2014, 03:47 AM
I hope the Cavs just draft Wiggins first.
It's also not great to see teams like the sixers rewarded and getting away with tanking.
I hope wiggins and parker are off the board.

CityofTreez
06-20-2014, 05:08 AM
That worked so well for the Kings since the Webber era.

...wait

Explain?

ManRam
06-20-2014, 10:39 AM
Can someone summarize this for me...

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2014/story/_/id/11111211/nba-draft-joel-embiid-suffer-yao-ming-fate

bleedprple&gold
06-20-2014, 10:53 AM

I completely agree. Im hoping like hell he can fall to #7 but that's not going to happen, this could affect where Exum gets drafted tho, I hope he falls to us.

:hope:

If anything the Embiid injury makes Exum less likely to fall to us, not more. If Embiid falls out of the top 3 then guess who takes his place? That's right, Exum. The only guy more likely to fall to us now is Embiid and if he falls that far that tells you there's some serious red flags. If he's there I don't see us taking him because he may be out for the year and we are not paying Kobe all that money to tank another year. They are going to take a rookie that can make an impact now which is going to be either Randle or Smart.

CityofTreez
06-20-2014, 02:13 PM
ManRam....sounds like reassuring speculation too me.

dhopisthename
06-20-2014, 02:21 PM

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2014/story/_/id/11111211/nba-draft-joel-embiid-suffer-yao-ming-fate

last line summerizes it pretty well

Although it is a worrisome injury to be sure, given Embiid's age, body type and lack of mileage, I fully expect him to heal well and have a solid NBA career.

WITZ
06-20-2014, 02:21 PM
Small sample size but this doesn't bode well for him. Will suck if this injury looms because the guy is extremely talented.

"ESPN study showed 6 big men in NBA history have suffered navicular bone injuries. They played in 47.5% of games after surgery #Embiid"

abe_froman
06-20-2014, 02:28 PM
Small sample size but this doesn't bode well for him. Will suck if this injury looms because the guy is extremely talented.

"ESPN study showed 6 big men in NBA history have suffered navicular bone injuries. They played in 47.5% of games after surgery #Embiid"
thats not accounting that some of those bigmen were older/near the end when they had the surgery and were hampered by other injuries as well.i mean guys like mchale and big z had great careers after

personally ,i hope my team can take advantage of all this fear over this and swoop in and steal him for cheap

ManRam
06-20-2014, 02:30 PM

I'm curious who they were besides Yao and Z (the only two I know of). Yao's came later in his career after a myriad of foot problems before that, and more or less did contribute to the ending of his career. Z's came early in his (2000). He would eventually play 78+ games five years in a row after that.

I think context is important there. Not all injuries are created the same. Yao's specifically sounded pretty nasty. Wide spread fracturing, tons of pins, etc.

abe_froman
06-20-2014, 02:36 PM
I'm curious who they were besides Yao and Z (the only two I know of). Yao's came later in his career after a myriad of foot problems before that, and more or less did contribute to the ending of his career. Z's came early in his (2000). He would eventually play 78+ games five years in a row after that.

I think context is important there. Not all injuries are created the same. Yao's specifically sounded pretty nasty. Wide spread fracturing, tons of pins, etc.
z,yao,kevin mchale in '87,bill walton in the early 80's(though it wasnt the only foot injury he was suffering from),and 2 low level guys

WITZ
06-20-2014, 02:36 PM
thats not accounting that some of those bigmen were older/near the end when they had the surgery and were hampered by other injuries as well.i mean guys like mchale and big z had great careers after

personally ,i hope my team can take advanrtage of all this fear over this and swoop in and steal him for cheap

True & It all comes down to how the teams medical staff handles the injury, but one should still be weary of selecting him. At a point the reward outweighs the risk because Embiid oozes potential.

abe_froman
06-20-2014, 02:43 PM
True & It all comes down to how the teams medical staff handles the injury, but one should still be weary of selecting him. At a point the reward outweighs the risk because Embiid oozes potential.
personally,i think its a prime time for some team with a serviceable center to start the season to steal him for cheap.take advantage of all the fear that everyone has now,wanting to avoid picking him.

Stunner
06-20-2014, 03:12 PM
personally,i think its a prime time for some team with a serviceable center to start the season to steal him for cheap.take advantage of all the fear that everyone has now,wanting to avoid picking him.

No team in the top 7 trading their pick and Embiid would go to Boston or LA at the latest .

PurpleLynch
06-20-2014, 04:10 PM
z,yao,kevin mchale in '87,bill walton in the early 80's(though it wasnt the only foot injury he was suffering from),and 2 low level guys

So Espn made a premise looking just to 6 big men who had the same injury,without considering the single situation of these players and then compares Embiid to Yao? Ah,sport journalism at its finest.

Jeffy25
06-20-2014, 04:35 PM
I am no scouting expert for the NBA by any means.

But why do so many people want Wiggins to go number one?

Is he really that much greater than Exum or Parker?

I think Parker is gonna be a beast personally.

Jeffy25
06-20-2014, 04:37 PM
Although, I can't see Embiid falling below 7th overall.

abe_froman
06-20-2014, 04:38 PM

because wiggins has gotten the most hype,so is most well known.we arent scouting experts but they just know that slam called him the next lebron 2 years ago,so trusting the hype machine is what fuels a lot of it.

not to say he isnt a great spec,but you are right he isnt that far ahead(if at all)from parker and a healthy embiid

ManRam
06-20-2014, 04:41 PM

I think many view Wiggins as a stronger athlete with much more defensive upside. They're really very different players, even though they kinda play the same position (I'd play Parker at the 4 on most teams personally...Wiggins is definitely more of a perimeter guy). It's all about preference. Parker is definitely a tad bit more refined and probably figures to be the better scorer, but people love hyper athletes, and that's what Wiggins is.

*Superman*
06-20-2014, 04:45 PM

Looks like someone posted what the article was about elsewhere.

"Finally, Yao had extremely high arches in his feet, which, when placed under stress, compressed his navicular bone like a nutcracker. While I have neither examined nor seen the X-rays of Embiid, it is highly unlikely that he has similar anatomy as Yao.

A number of studies have shown successful returns to sport after a navicular fracture. The average return is four months whether surgery is performed or the bone is allowed to heal in a cast with the athlete placed on crutches. Given Yao's troubles, it does not surprise me that Embiid's team has decided to choose surgery in an effort to reassure NBA executives that he will be ready to play by the start of the 2014-15 season.

Although it is a worrisome injury to be sure, given Embiid's age, body type and lack of mileage, I fully expect him to heal well and have a solid NBA career."

So basically it's almost saying as long as Embiid does NOT have high arched feet, it seems like he can heal from this and it may not be an issue.

*Superman*
06-20-2014, 04:53 PM
@WojYahooNBA: Two screws inserted into navicular bone in right foot of Joel Embiid today, agent Arn Tellem says.

This is supposed to be good news.

EDIT:

Adrian Wojnarowski ✔ @WojYahooNBA
Follow
Joel Embiid's recovery process is expected to cover 4-to-6 months, sources tell Yahoo Sports.

moshy2
06-20-2014, 05:21 PM
He's got so much potential but these injuries already are too big of a concern for me if I have the first few picks. He'll go high still

THE MTL
06-20-2014, 07:08 PM
Whats sad about Cleveland is that I still think they want him. Thus all the trading down rumors popping up