PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Model of success - blurring the lines between starters and bench

ink
06-18-2014, 08:27 PM
We saw a blurring of lines between starters and bench work incredibly effectively this post-season for San Antonio.

What are your thoughts about this? Is it a workable model for other teams throughout the league?

We've seen some other teams try and have less success. Why do you think that is (other than the fact that Pops is a brilliant coach and they have a remarkable development program)?

Why are so many teams stuck in the idea of hard dividing line between starters and bench? Do you think the clinic we just watched in the finals will inspire other coaches to try to circulate more players from their bench into the starting rotation and move toward less defined lines?

What other teams/coaches are trying to do this? What other teams have had success this way in the past?

Hellcrooner
06-18-2014, 08:56 PM
This is usual in euroball.

ink
06-18-2014, 09:01 PM
This is usual in euroball.

I know. Tell me more about that. Do you see teams other than pops' team trying this in the NBA?

Hellcrooner
06-18-2014, 09:04 PM
I know. Tell me more about that. Do you see teams other than pops' team trying this in the NBA?
Maybe if some team has the balls to hire Blatt as head coach.

But it would need for the " stars" of the team to buy into the concept.

its difficult.

slashsnake
06-18-2014, 09:18 PM
I think it would be extremely tough. That isn't how guys play in high school or college and they would be asked to make a major change at the NBA level. I remember Denver trying what I call the "sum of the parts" type star-less bit after trading Melo. Had a bench there that went 11 deep with guys that were anywhere from good to marginal starters, and it hasn't worked out. They got to the playoffs and rotations shrink and that depth failed to be as big when they weren't playing opponents 8th, 9th and 10th men.

I also think it would be very hard to maintain that team. If you had a star in the group do you still cut his minutes? How do you keep him when free agency arrives if he doesn't take a Duncan type home town discount?

It would be interesting to see, but this really is what any team without a star tries to do. outside of the once a decade success stories (spurs, Pistons), it usually doesn't end well.