PDA

View Full Version : Report: Flip Saunders believes he won’t get better Kevin Love offer than Celtics’

spreadeagle
06-18-2014, 11:56 AM
Kevin Love keeps indicating he wants to leave Minnesota, but his fate – at least for next season – rests with the Timberwolves.

For now, they’re slow-playing.

If they’re doing it to give themselves time to impress Love, it won’t work.

If they’re doing it to leverage better offers, that might be working.

Not long ago, a report emerged the Bulls had made a better Love offer than the Celtics. Since, the Rockets have fallen out of the bidding and Boston has reportedly moved up the ladder.

Chad Ford of ESPN:

I continue to get strong signals that the Celtics are trying hard to use pick No. 6 and 17 along with future No. 1s and young players such as Jared Sullinger or Kelly Olynyk to persuade the Minnesota Timberwolves to trade them Kevin Love. One source close to the Wolves said that while Flip Saunders does not want to trade Love, he realizes the team likely will lose him this summer and the package the Celtics are offering is probably the best he’s going to get.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/18/report-flip-saunders-believes-he-wont-get-better-kevin-love-offer-than-celtics/

Lakers + Giants
06-18-2014, 01:07 PM
He's just trying to get a better offer, what better way than to say the Celtics offer is the best. That way another team can best it.

sixer04fan
06-18-2014, 01:16 PM
It very well may be the best offer. And the biggest value in it is that 6th pick, where the Wolves could instantly get back a young PF to replace Love for the future, like Randle. In this draft, #6 has a ton of value. Sullinger/Olynyk, the future picks, that's all secondary. The offer is built around that 6th pick.

No other team in the Love sweepstakes can really top that at this point as far as I know. Unless the Warriors budge on Klay Thompson, but the Wolves still might prefer the draft pick. Unless the Cavs switch gears and give them the 1st pick, but I just don't see it.

I could see this Boston deal going down soon. Love could definitely be a Celtic by draft night.

spreadeagle
06-18-2014, 01:20 PM
It very well may be the best offer. And the biggest value in it is that 6th pick, where the Wolves could instantly get back a young PF to replace Love for the future, like Randle. In this draft, #6 has a ton of value. Sullinger/Olynyk, the future picks, that's all secondary. The offer is built around that 6th pick.

No other team in the Love sweepstakes can really top that at this point as far as I know. Unless the Warriors budge on Klay Thompson, but the Wolves still might prefer the draft pick. Unless the Cavs switch gears and give them the 1st pick, but I just don't see it.

I could see this Boston deal going down soon. Love could definitely be a Celtic by draft night.

For sure, because hes not locked into long deal I cant think of any teams besides said Warriors who would offer more

Stunner
06-18-2014, 01:32 PM
Only thing good about that deal is the 6th ; future low 1st are good value ?

Stunner
06-18-2014, 01:32 PM
https://twitter.com/raj_sharan/status/479313336970924033

Wade n Fade
06-18-2014, 01:34 PM
I still think that Boston's offer is best for rebuilding for a few years. The best piece Minny can get back to help immediately is Blake Griffin. Kevin Love extends the floor with his shooting and rebounds better than Blake. Although, LAC cannot put together other assets for Love as much. Collison is a FA. LA just has a bunch of shooters that cannot create shots, which Minny cannot build a team around. I do like the idea of Houston being in the mix for Love since they have assets to land him. Asik, Jones, Parsons, pick. Now, you cannot beat Love and Howard as the best tandem bigs in the league. Boston and Chicago are very well in the mix. If Chicago lands Love, no Melo for them though unless they can clear massive payroll. Boozer is probably done as a Bull anyways. He can be a 4 off the bench on a contender. Miami might call Boozer, but he's not a good defender and always like to take jumpshots from the elbow.

ManRam
06-18-2014, 01:43 PM
Boston trading away all their assets for Love is a really risky move. Better hope he really likes playing with Rondo, because there's not gonna be a whole lot else there to temp him into staying. Not a great haul for Minny, but I wouldn't surprised if it is truly the best (no reason to think otherwise). Unless Cleveland gets really interested....

What can Denver offer? They have the 11th pick. They can swap 2016 firsts with NYK, so who knows how valuable that is. They have a crap ton of 2nd rounders down the road, but meh. They have some decent pieces I guess, but nothing really terribly exciting or really top-end.

Stunner
06-18-2014, 01:50 PM
https://twitter.com/baxterholmes/status/479313184000466944

Iron24th
06-18-2014, 01:56 PM
Lol minnesota will always rebuild

celtics 34
06-18-2014, 01:58 PM
Boston trading away all their assets for Love is a really risky move. Better hope he really likes playing with Rondo, because there's not gonna be a whole lot else there to temp him into staying. Not a great haul for Minny, but I wouldn't surprised if it is truly the best (no reason to think otherwise). Unless Cleveland gets really interested....

What can Denver offer? They have the 11th pick. They can swap 2016 firsts with NYK, so who knows how valuable that is. They have a crap ton of 2nd rounders down the road, but meh. They have some decent pieces I guess, but nothing really terribly exciting or really top-end.

That is why I don't want to trade for him we will be left with about the same assets add the twolves

Bruno
06-18-2014, 02:07 PM
the Celtics are offering an excellent package. better than what the Nuggets got for Carmelo, and better than what the Jazz got for Williams.

Ty_Lawson
06-18-2014, 02:33 PM
@ManRam we have much to offer, but only if he will do S&T...
We can offer Faried(S&T),Evan,Chandler,Gallo(but he has no value right now, i don't think they want him),#11,Mozgov,Miller we can even take Pekovic back if they don't want him, idk why would they want him but maybe just maybe they want McGee for Pekovic or something like that, and with S&T(Faried) we can take some more salary from MIN, maybe Brewer or Martin...

shep33
06-18-2014, 02:33 PM
I'd take the Celts package. Problem is they have no chance of winning next year, so does that effect his chances of re-signing?

WSU Tony
06-18-2014, 03:23 PM
That title is VERY misleading. At no point does Flip say he thinks he "won't get a better offer than the Celtics'."

Or do I, in the midwest, read things differently than you "big market coastal" fans?

Stunner
06-18-2014, 03:40 PM
You really need to let this " big market " bitterness go

Goose17
06-18-2014, 03:41 PM
Hearing that it isn't the best offer at all, Chicago, Denver and GSW have all offered better. Minny doesn't want a bunch of picks and filler, they want proven players and maybe a future pick. Feel they can get the same talent in this draft at #13 as they can at #6.

CELTICS4LYFE
06-18-2014, 03:59 PM
I wouldn't want to give them more than 3 firsts(either the 2 this season + a future or #6 n 2 future) and Sully OR Klynyk(not both) + fillers

sixer04fan
06-18-2014, 04:09 PM
Hearing that it isn't the best offer at all, Chicago, Denver and GSW have all offered better. Minny doesn't want a bunch of picks and filler, they want proven players and maybe a future pick. Feel they can get the same talent in this draft at #13 as they can at #6.

What can Chicago and Denver offer that's better though? Taj Gibson? Kenneth Faried? These are good role players, but not nearly replacing-level talents in terms of "proven players."

And there's no way they feel they can get the same talent at #13 as they can at #6. I just don't believe that at all.

Jasper6
06-18-2014, 04:14 PM
Hopefully this is true, Bill does bleed Green.

http://www.balldontstop.com/celtics-trade-kevin-love/

ManRam
06-18-2014, 04:17 PM
How many conflicting rumors can we hear in one day!?!

Raps18-19 Champ
06-18-2014, 04:36 PM
Of course he'd say that.

PurpleJesus
06-18-2014, 04:38 PM
the story changes every week. one week, you hear that the Wolves are adamant on not trading him, the next, you hear that Flip wants established players back (GSW), now the media push is that Boston will get him with some mid-tier picks, and some low-ceiling players.

Stunner
06-18-2014, 04:41 PM
What can Chicago and Denver offer that's better though? Taj Gibson? Kenneth Faried? These are good role players, but not nearly replacing-level talents in terms of "proven players."

And there's no way they feel they can get the same talent at #13 as they can at #6. I just don't believe that at all.

Denver can offer

Faried / Gallo or Chandler / Hickson and 11th

Bulls can offer

Butler / Taj or Booz / Mirotic and 2 1st rounders

I'll take both of those over what Boston is offering it's Proven players over picks.

GS has to include Klay in any Love deal for them to accept it .

Any love trade they won't be getting equal talent level back to think so is just stupid . They will be looking for players that are proven with the combination of being young with picks . That Boston trade never looked good outside of the 6th. Sully isn't all that great and Taj is better than him IMO .

kozelkid
06-18-2014, 05:03 PM
I love Simmons, but when has he EVER been right about rumors.

FOBolous
06-18-2014, 05:07 PM
If the Rockets can't get Love, I want him to go to the East. The West has enough powerhouses. But from Love's standpoint, going to the Celtics doesn't make sense. He's essentially going to be on the same situation he was in at Minnesota.

effen5
06-18-2014, 05:10 PM
Pretty sure bill Simmons doesn't know ****.

PurpleJesus
06-18-2014, 05:14 PM
^ yeah, it seems Bulls, Denver, and GSW all can make better deals than the rumored Boston deal.

Sactown
06-18-2014, 05:14 PM
Bill Simmons bleeds green lol

smith&wesson
06-18-2014, 05:44 PM
"pick No. 6 and 17 along with future No. 1s and young players such as Jared Sullinger or Kelly Olynyk"

Id take that deal... maybe they could then package 6 & 17 to move up

smith&wesson
06-18-2014, 05:45 PM
something fishy though, because garnet was traded to the celtics too. someone in that front office likes boston. lol

tp13baby
06-18-2014, 05:55 PM

Faried is quietly become one of the better power forwards in the west. Our best player in the second half of the year. Say what you want but he blossomed under Shaw. 18 ppg and 10 rebounds in 31 min after the allstar break. Most effiecient player we had. Ranked 31srt in PER.

But he is working on an outside game that showed up. Surprisingly he is good in the post with both hands now. He really has blossomed. Kenneth Faried and Chandler and the 11th pick>>> 6th and Sullinger....

BCpatsox18
06-18-2014, 06:16 PM
Doesn't make sense at all how anyone on this forum can think Taj > Sully in the eyes of the wolves, they're a rebuilding team- a 22 year old with potential is far more valuable to them than a 28 year old borderline starter.. mind boggling. Also anyone who thinks just because this is a "deep" draft that mid 1st round picks are worth an all-star is flat out wrong; deep draft in the NBA means picks 1-10 are good, usually after that it is a crapshoot no matter how you slice it. If GS wants to offer Klay and Barnes plus picks okay, that is better than Boston's offer (not by much IMO though), but Chicago can't offer anything better than Boston period

todu82
06-18-2014, 06:19 PM
If I was Boston I'd keep with the rebuild and not trade draft picks for a guy who may not sign there.

Stunner
06-18-2014, 06:24 PM
Doesn't make sense at all how anyone on this forum can think Taj > Sully in the eyes of the wolves, they're a rebuilding team- a 22 year old with potential is far more valuable to them than a 28 year old borderline starter.. mind boggling. Also anyone who thinks just because this is a "deep" draft that mid 1st round picks are worth an all-star is flat out wrong; deep draft in the NBA means picks 1-10 are good, usually after that it is a crapshoot no matter how you slice it. If GS wants to offer Klay and Barnes plus picks okay, that is better than Boston's offer (not by much IMO though), but Chicago can't offer anything better than Boston period

Homer lol

BALLER R
06-18-2014, 06:26 PM
Trade him no and ifs or buts. You know he's likely to leave so get what you can before you lose him for nothing.

BCpatsox18
06-18-2014, 06:28 PM
Homer lol

How? Everything I said was common sense. On a winning team Taj is more valuable than Sully, on a rebuilding team Sully is more valuable than Taj. Not very hard to see...

Stunner
06-18-2014, 06:34 PM
How? Everything I said was common sense. On a winning team Taj is more valuable than Sully, on a rebuilding team Sully is more valuable than Taj. Not very hard to see...

But based off reports the Wolves aren't going into full rebuild they pretty much set on competing . Your trade would be nice if it just rebuild but Denver and Chicago and maybe GS can offer better deals that allow them to compete and rebuild at the same time . It's not that hard to see

BCpatsox18
06-18-2014, 06:38 PM
If Flip Saunders wants to compete he wouldn't be trading his 25 year old best player, he would make an effort to put something around him, since he hasn't done that in the 6 years Love has been there, I would probably put my money on them being in rebuild mode. Believe those reports if you want to though no skin off my back

Stunner
06-18-2014, 06:40 PM
If Flip Saunders wants to compete he wouldn't be trading his 25 year old best player, he would make an effort to put something around him, since he hasn't done that in the 6 years Love has been there, I would probably put my money on them being in rebuild mode. Believe those reports if you want to though no skin off my back

Lol ummm how can you compete with a player who doesn't want to be there ?

5ass
06-18-2014, 06:45 PM
Denver can offer

Faried / Gallo or Chandler / Hickson and 11th

Bulls can offer

Butler / Taj or Booz / Mirotic and 2 1st rounders

I'll take both of those over what Boston is offering it's Proven players over picks.

GS has to include Klay in any Love deal for them to accept it .

Any love trade they won't be getting equal talent level back to think so is just stupid . They will be looking for players that are proven with the combination of being young with picks . That Boston trade never looked good outside of the 6th. Sully isn't all that great and Taj is better than him IMO .

You think butler and taj is more valuable than the 6th, 17th and sullinger/olynyk?
Who says the wolves want to remain competitive. They're going to have to tank. Taj, Rubio, and pek aren't competing in the west anyway teams are getting too good.

Stunner
06-18-2014, 06:54 PM
You think butler and taj is more valuable than the 6th, 17th and sullinger/olynyk?
Who says the wolves want to remain competitive. They're going to have to tank. Taj, Rubio, and pek aren't competing in the west anyway teams are getting too good.

just left out our picks and Mirotic as well huh ? This forum is so bias . Based off the report Boston is only offering one of the young players not both . And we don't know what other moves that Minny will make as well , they will have plenty of pieces to make other moves after a love deal. To be honest we can't say if the Wolves want a team full of rookies or vets but just going off the new reports they aren't the front runners anymore .

Stunner
06-18-2014, 07:08 PM
After speculation soared that the Celtics were the front-runners to land All-Star forward Kevin Love in a trade from the Timberwolves, Steve Bulpett of the Boston Herald reports that the C's "pursuit of Kevin Love isn't as hot as reports are indicating."

And Causeway Street isn't on The Boston Globe's Baxter Holmes tweet of the Top 3 landing spots for Love:

After talking to league sources, my new top-three potential destinations for Kevin Love: 1. GSW. 2. Chicago. 3. Denver.
— Baxter Holmes (@BaxterHolmes) June 18, 2014
This on the heels of ESPN's Bill Simmons and Chad Ford reporting the Celtics were the leaders in the Love Derby.

More from Bulpett:

The Celtics are willing to discuss a number of options, but none of them includes the quality of player with NBA experience that Minnesota is seeking or believes it can get elsewhere.

One source indicated Denver and Golden State have both made more intriguing offers, and there are other teams very much in the picture, as well. There have been conflicting reports on whether the Warriors would make Klay Thompson available, but the Wolves are said to be confident they can find a more than acceptable deal there.

And while Minnesota has certainly discussed trading Love, who, without a contract extension, can be an unrestricted free agent next summer, it's also possible that Flip Saunders, the club's coach and president of basketball operations, could choose to keep his best player a little longer. The thinking would be that either the Wolves improve and make Love want to stay or that a better deal will present itself before next season's trade deadline.

At present, however, what the Celtics have to offer isn’t getting it done. According to a source, the first-round picks they own from the Nets are not seen as being of overwhelming value, and, where the Celts had an Al Jefferson to offer Minnesota for Kevin Garnett six years ago, neither Jared Sullinger nor Kelly Olynyk rises to that level in the Wolves' eyes this time around.

As for the Celtics' No. 6 overall pick, one NBA source has been told directly that Minnesota believes it can get a player of equal quality later in the first round. The Timberwolves hold the 13th pick, but multiple offers would allow them to select higher.

At this point, it would appear the Celtics' best chance to land Love this summer is to expand their sights and involve a third team. The goal would be to find a player who could give Minnesota more immediate help than will the draft picks. http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/report-other-offers-love-beat-celtics

Stunner
06-18-2014, 07:10 PM
Lol everyone shouldn't listen to Bill Simmons about anything dealing with Boston and trades Z

5ass
06-18-2014, 07:20 PM
just left out our picks and Mirotic as well huh ? This forum is so bias . Based off the report Boston is only offering one of the young players not both . And we don't know what other moves that Minny will make as well , they will have plenty of pieces to make other moves after a love deal. To be honest we can't say if the Wolves want a team full of rookies or vets but just going off the new reports they aren't the front runners anymore .
No I misread, that's why I asked. IMO minny goes full rebuild. I stopped reading NBA "news" lately, mostly BS and speculation.

5ass
06-18-2014, 07:24 PM
I still think the Celtics can put together a better offer than the bulls though.

Stunner
06-18-2014, 07:26 PM
I still think the Celtics can put together a better offer than the bulls though.

Yea they can if they offer better quality players but then you have to worry about love playing with a roster that isn't good again .

IversonIsKrazy
06-18-2014, 07:41 PM
If Denver is actually offering a deal around Faried and their 11th pick, no one will have a better offer then. Love/Lawson/Gallo might be something good. Warriors are going to have to include Klay if they want Love, which I don't think they will do. Bulls have some pieces and would be the best team w/ the addition of Love, but I don't think Wolves will accept the deal. And if Love does go to Boston, will Rondo/Green/Love really be that great, cause I will see it as a w/e team that will still get top 3 seed b/c of a weak East, but never win.

Midnightbottle
06-18-2014, 08:58 PM
Meh wake me up when something real happens. At this point flips just trying to get the best deal. Its been all hear say and nothing concrete since the news first appeared.

kobe4thewinbang
06-18-2014, 11:10 PM
So, is it a given now that Love is gone before he can actually leave the team?
I think he would be great on the Celtics and it would give Beantown a new star.

Midnightbottle
06-18-2014, 11:21 PM
So, is it a given now that Love is gone before he can actually leave the team?
I think he would be great on the Celtics and it would give Beantown a new star.

He's said in the past he'd sign a with the celtics. But that cann be all ******** as well.

Stunner
06-18-2014, 11:54 PM
https://twitter.com/si_wire/status/479462712003411968

kozelkid
06-18-2014, 11:57 PM

People need to stop thinking as fans and start thinking as FO's would. Do you REALLY believe Minn actually believes they'll compete for a championship anytime soon? Their championship is making the playoffs, then profit. Besides, Flip is not only the one who will be looking at the offers, he'll also be the one coaching. Given that his job is on the line, he is probably going to prefer the package that will get more wins THIS upcoming season, not some tank job that *may* reap benefits 5 years from now, long past his tenure with the Wolves.

Besides all that, Sullinger is hot garbage, regardless of how much younger than Taj he is. In reality, there's only two reported teams out there that can offer a better package for what the Wolves want (which appears to be mostly young players that can net them wins THIS upcoming season) and that's Denver (with Wilson/Faried) and the frontrunners, GSW (Lee/Klay).

Stunner
06-19-2014, 12:01 AM
So Nuggets are going to send the 11 and fillers for Affalo and then send Faried / Affalo and Chandler for Love and fillers ? I don't see how Minny says no . Especially with how many trash players on their roster have a lot of cap .

kozelkid
06-19-2014, 12:04 AM
No I misread, that's why I asked. IMO minny goes full rebuild. I stopped reading NBA "news" lately, mostly BS and speculation.

They've been going full rebuild for the better part of 10 years. All reports suggest otherwise, especially considering their executive will also be their coach.

EDIT: Let me correct myself. Personal opinion, but there is only one [realistic] case where I can see Minn going full rebuild and that's if Cleveland enters the sweepstakes and offers their #1 pick.

Stunner
06-19-2014, 02:30 AM
https://twitter.com/chicagobullsbot/status/479510780119752704

Stunner
06-19-2014, 02:33 AM
Uh oh https://twitter.com/chicagobullsbot/status/479511710043103232

kobe4thewinbang
06-19-2014, 12:47 PM
Gawd, cannot wait for the draft. Hopefully some deals go down.

Stunner
06-19-2014, 01:51 PM
Love to warriors ? https://twitter.com/serenawinters/status/479681550598938624

kozelkid
06-19-2014, 02:03 PM
Love to warriors ? https://twitter.com/serenawinters/status/479681550598938624

That has been my pick from the get-go.

Midnightbottle
06-19-2014, 02:27 PM
yawn

Stunner
06-19-2014, 02:29 PM