PDA

View Full Version : Micky Arison is the dumbest owner in sports

InsightObjSub
06-17-2014, 10:23 PM
This entire year, I have been dumbfounded how people (ESPN) keep referring to Arison as one of the best if not the smartest owner in sports.

How how how?! Like Sterling, he lucked out in owning a big market team that attracts free agents. The smartest decision he did was to get out of the way for a great basketball mind to take control (Pat). Then he risks upsetting his players by cutting depth (role players) to save money while asking Lebron and co to sacrifice for the greater good?! And yet of course the loss is "on Lebron". I have no idea how Arison is escaping so much criticism.

How is a man considered intelligent when he considers saving 15 million then asking Lebron to take one for the team so he could save more money when Lebron has contributed tens if not hundreds of millions in revenue a yr. and helped increase the value of the franchise by additional hundreds of million?

If Arison is not one of the worst, dumbest owners, he is by FAR one of the most selfish. Can you imagine Prokhorov, Cuban, or Dolan even thinking about playing such a stunt? Heck Dan Gilbert and the Cavs made horrible GM decisions, but were willing to pay whatever necessary.

SPURSFAN1
06-17-2014, 10:30 PM
Miami is not LA,CHI,orNY. Role players didn't cost them the finals. More like WADE and BOSH didn't play up to standards. Blame them before the owner. I don't really know all the role players ur talking about but they didn't lose because they didn't have mike miller.

InsightObjSub
06-17-2014, 10:38 PM
What does Miami not being LA, Chicago, or NY have anything to do with anything?

Did Lebron and co take a pay cut to be surrounded by other role players? YES

A big role in this is perception. The players view Arison as an owner who tries to save his own money rather than helping in any way to help the team win. Was saving 15 million worth the gamble of that perception?

Cuban is in Dallas (which also isn't in LA, Chicago, NY) yet does whatever he needs to do to win. Being in a big market also doesn't save you from being a cheap owner (sterling and the bull's owner, since you mention LA and Chicago).

"As team insiders Bosh, who makes identical money to James, and Wade, who makes slightly less, at around $41.5 million for the next two seasons, also donít want to rework their deals solely to give Arison another tax break. They want the money put to good use, meaning adding talent so that Miami can return to the Finals for a fifth straight season."

ink
06-17-2014, 10:41 PM
Because there's a salary cap.

InsightObjSub
06-17-2014, 10:42 PM
Basically before 2010, Arison was an average owner with a great GM (Riley) that has now made the arguably the most selfish move considering how much his players sacrificed.

By the way, Lebron himself complained how fatigued he was bc of the mins logged since Miller was cut.

ink
06-17-2014, 10:42 PM
Are we going to start a Lebron thread every time anyone has a thought???

InsightObjSub
06-17-2014, 10:43 PM
Just bc Lebron is referenced does not mean he is the topic. I was pretty sure it was clear Micky Arison was the main topic.

ink
06-17-2014, 10:51 PM
Just bc Lebron is referenced does not mean he is the topic. I was pretty sure it was clear Micky Arison was the main topic.

The core of your first post -- 3rd paragraph -- is about Lebron. If anything this belongs in the heat forum.

bucketss
06-17-2014, 10:53 PM
What does Miami not being LA, Chicago, or NY have anything to do with anything?

Did Lebron and co take a pay cut to be surrounded by other role players? YES

A big role in this is perception. The players view Arison as an owner who tries to save his own money rather than helping in any way to help the team win. Was saving 15 million worth the gamble of that perception?

Cuban is in Dallas (which also isn't in LA, Chicago, NY) yet does whatever he needs to do to win. Being in a big market also doesn't save you from being a cheap owner (sterling and the bull's owner, since you mention LA and Chicago).

"As team insiders Bosh, who makes identical money to James, and Wade, who makes slightly less, at around $41.5 million for the next two seasons, also donít want to rework their deals solely to give Arison another tax break. They want the money put to good use, meaning adding talent so that Miami can return to the Finals for a fifth straight season."

because you called miami a big market team.

CityofTreez
06-17-2014, 10:56 PM
Dumbest thread in the NBA Forum.

InsightObjSub
06-17-2014, 10:56 PM
The core of your first post -- 3rd paragraph -- is about Lebron. If anything this belongs in the heat forum.

Yes one of my 4 paragraphs focused on Lebron as it was to reference why Micky Arison was making a dumb decision (again Micky Arison being the subject).

If you are right in one matter, this may belong to the Heat forum.

AlexTmz2
06-17-2014, 11:03 PM
So much bashing on the Miami Heat right now, i don't understand, they lost to a better team. that's all.

they won the championship last year and the year before that...whats all the complaining and hate about??

TylerSL
06-18-2014, 12:48 AM
So much bashing on the Miami Heat right now, i don't understand, they lost to a better team. that's all.

they won the championship last year and the year before that...whats all the complaining and hate about??

95% of the NBA forum has been waiting 3 years for the Heat to lose, they are finally letting it out after waiting so long.

beasted86
06-18-2014, 02:43 AM
95% of the NBA forum has been waiting 3 years for the Heat to lose, they are finally letting it out after waiting so long.

Yup, LOL!

"See! I told you the HEAT were a flawed team! All their championships are luck!!"

Yumboldt
06-18-2014, 03:22 AM
They cut mike miller so they could sign Greg Oden to deal with Indiana. It was a salary cap gamble that didn't work out to well.

Basically before 2010, Arison was an average owner with a great GM (Riley) that has now made the arguably the most selfish move considering how much his players sacrificed.

By the way, Lebron himself complained how fatigued he was bc of the mins logged since Miller was cut.

bleedprple&gold
06-18-2014, 03:40 AM

Pretty much just summarized PSD right there.

3ballbomber
06-18-2014, 07:28 AM
Team owner is not to blame for players not defending & scoring on the basketball court

GiantsSwaGG
06-18-2014, 08:53 AM
James Dolan says hi

Big Zo
06-18-2014, 10:42 AM
The funny thing is that he talks about how Mark Cuban would have done "whatever it takes" to win, yet somehow I didn't see Tyson Chandler back with the Mavs in 2012.

ManRam
06-18-2014, 10:49 AM
This entire year, I have been dumbfounded how people (ESPN) keep referring to Arison as one of the best if not the smartest owner in sports.

How how how?! Like Sterling, he lucked out in owning a big market team that attracts free agents. The smartest decision he did was to get out of the way for a great basketball mind to take control (Pat). Then he risks upsetting his players by cutting depth (role players) to save money while asking Lebron and co to sacrifice for the greater good?! And yet of course the loss is "on Lebron". I have no idea how Arison is escaping so much criticism.

How is a man considered intelligent when he considers saving 15 million then asking Lebron to take one for the team so he could save more money when Lebron has contributed tens if not hundreds of millions in revenue a yr. and helped increase the value of the franchise by additional hundreds of million?

If Arison is not one of the worst, dumbest owners, he is by FAR one of the most selfish. Can you imagine Prokhorov, Cuban, or Dolan even thinking about playing such a stunt? Heck Dan Gilbert and the Cavs made horrible GM decisions, but were willing to pay whatever necessary.

Wait, so what in this post suggests he's the "dumbest owner in sports"?

:confused:

Getting "lucky" that he got LeBron and company doesn't make him dumb.

Not being about to work around the salary cap doesn't make him dumb.

Asking his players to take a pay cut for the betterment of the team doesn't make him dumb.

I'm truly baffled. Maybe he gets too much credit, I guess. But jumping all the way to "WORST IN ALL OF SPORTS" is just stupid.

Big Zo
06-18-2014, 10:56 AM
Wait, so what in this post suggests he's the "dumbest owner in sports"?

:confused:

Getting "lucky" that he got LeBron and company doesn't make him dumb.

Not being about to work around the salary cap doesn't make him dumb.

Asking his players to take a pay cut for the betterment of the team doesn't make him dumb.

I'm truly baffled. Maybe he gets too much credit, I guess. But jumping all the way to "WORST IN ALL OF SPORTS" is just stupid.

What the OP meant to say was that he himself is dumb. And a really bad troll.

Heatcheck
06-18-2014, 10:56 AM
As much as I like miller, hes not worth paying 17, 20 million dollars for, and possibly 40 million, that's just common sense.

I think the OP is a jit and doesn't understand the real world and how the cap works. the heat were in the black for the first time last year, and you cant get mad at a guy for not wanting to shell out millions upon millions of his dollars in luxury taxes for someone who plays half the year.

Even Cuban, who operated in the red for the VAST majority of his ownership, let Chandler and Barrea, two key members of that championship, walk.

And to be honest, I thank god we have the owner we have, who had the vision to give riley a piece of the team to make him integral in this organization, which is why we've had the success weve had. and in 25 years we've won more than half of the league. so your argument holds absolutely no weight.

You can chalk it ALL off to luck if you want, but it just makes you sound young.

Wade n Fade
06-18-2014, 12:00 PM
Can't really take this idea seriously though. Jerry Jones is way worse than most sports owners.

All-In
06-18-2014, 12:30 PM
Dumbest thread in the NBA Forum.

Agreed

d00d
06-18-2014, 01:15 PM

anytime someone farts, they make a Lebron thread that stinks

FreeAgentZero
06-18-2014, 03:10 PM
Unlike Sterling, the Heat have mostly been a winning franchise since Arison bought the team. He's been at the helm for 3 titles and have been playoff teams for many other years. Regardless of how the Heat have won, Arison has given his team a chance to succeed. He's surrounded himself with smart people in the front office and mostly stayed out of the way. Even if you hate the Heat like I do, it's almost impossible to say Arison is a bad owner.

Slug3
06-18-2014, 03:44 PM

You clearly don't remember the Zo and timmy days then. So can it already.