PDA

View Full Version : Lebron James isn't looking to take a paycut to help the Heat in Free Agency

Stunner
06-17-2014, 03:50 PM
As team insiders have maintained for months, James isnít interested in reducing his salary from $20.6 next season and $22.1 million in 2015-16 just so that team owner Micky Arison can avoid paying luxury taxes. As they say, been there, done that and all it got James was second place. New York Daily News - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.ehmm1rdi.dpuf 😒

goingfor28
06-17-2014, 03:52 PM
I wouldn't either if I'm him. Best player in the league. In his prime. 29 years old. Get that money, he can take a smaller deal towards the end of his career

canzano55
06-17-2014, 03:53 PM
Look at the money Miguel Cabrera got if your comparing best talents in different sports...

jerellh528
06-17-2014, 03:56 PM
Why would he? The team around him should take pay cuts to play with him not the other way around

Iron24th
06-17-2014, 03:59 PM
Lol wade should take a huge paycut

bucketss
06-17-2014, 04:02 PM
so this means hes gonna stay with the heat since they can offer him the most money.

beasted86
06-17-2014, 04:05 PM
1. NY Daily News : TMZ
2. Isn't that what they said in 2010?
3. If he's focused on salary, doesn't that help Miami even more being that they can offer more than any other team?
4. All other contenders hoping to land him need him to take under $20M or it won't fit under the cap

Stunner
06-17-2014, 04:08 PM
Lol wade should take a huge paycut

I think he's suggesting that Wade and Bosh should opt out and take a lot less money if they want to get better . If none opt out you looking at the same roster mostly next year with vet min players .

FYL_McVeezy
06-17-2014, 04:09 PM
Same as Melo, he should just opt in and wait for 2015. It will be much easier for him reload then, multiple teams where he could find someone to team up and play with will have the cap to accommodate him and another star or two, there will also be more stars available for him to recruit to Miami.

Stunner
06-17-2014, 04:10 PM
Same as Melo, he should just opt in and wait for 2015. It will be much easier for him reload then, multiple teams where he could find someone to team up and play with will have the cap to accommodate him and another star or two, there will also be more stars available for him to recruit to Miami.

That's different , Bron has two years left were Melo has one . Melo is also a lil older and doesn't have the luxury of being an instant title contender while waiting for he cap to be better .

kblo247
06-17-2014, 04:10 PM
Why would he!

Hell if bosh and wade opt in, he should ask for the max or go elsewhere

FYL_McVeezy
06-17-2014, 04:11 PM
That's different , Bron has two years left were Melo has one .

You're right, and I didn't realize it. Disregard my post then LOL.

beasted86
06-17-2014, 04:13 PM
That's different , Bron has two years left were Melo has one . Melo is also a lil older and doesn't have the luxury of being an instant title contender while waiting for he cap to be better .

He can opt in for one more year or the final 2 years.

Miami structured all 3 deals so that the players have both an ETO in 2014-15, and a player option in 2015-16.

Stunner
06-17-2014, 04:13 PM
If anything if Bron did leave he would give Miami the chance to get more value than the Cavs got in return for him in a sign and trade .

Stunner
06-17-2014, 04:17 PM
Its still all on Wade to take a lot less money but I doubt it , especially what Kobe got and he's older . Wade helped bring two more rings to South Beach , he feels inclined to that money .

FYL_McVeezy
06-17-2014, 04:19 PM

Miami structured all 3 deals so that the players have both an ETO in 2014-15, and a player option in 2015-16.

O ok thanks for the Info.

He should opt in and wait for 2015 then, like I stated in my above post.

astonmartin10
06-17-2014, 05:05 PM
Best player in the league needs to be paid like the best player in the league.

Wade and Bosh should take cuts not Lebron.

BALLER R
06-17-2014, 05:07 PM
Let miami pay the tax. You got them 2 rings time to get paid

therealwd27
06-17-2014, 05:22 PM
Best player in the league needs to be paid like the best player in the league.

Wade and Bosh should take cuts not Lebron.

This. But if they all take a pay cut, LeBron not as much as Wade and Bosh they can reload even more. So I'm sure he is considering it. He made what 75 million this year? He's doing ok with money lol

torocan
06-17-2014, 05:24 PM
Considering he's the ONLY one who showed up in the finals, I wouldn't get mad at him at all if he demanded that everyone EXCEPT him took a pay cut just out of principle...

NBA_Starter
06-17-2014, 05:30 PM
It doesn't sound like he is staying then if Wade is opting in.

Red_Pill
06-17-2014, 05:35 PM
Wade and Bosh need to take less. James deserves more than he's being paid.

Max.This
06-17-2014, 05:38 PM
why should he take a paycut.... #3PEAT

NBA_Starter
06-17-2014, 05:39 PM
Wade and Bosh need to take less. James deserves more than he's being paid.

I think Bosh would but apparently Wade lives in a fantasy world.

RateSports
06-17-2014, 05:48 PM
Hmm so the best player on the planet doesn't want to take a paycut?

Why. The. Hell. Would. He?

FriedTofuz
06-17-2014, 06:23 PM
Wade is done at this point and the Heat have bosh taking 3s. To all the " heat fans" that complain bosh is soft, he's merely playing the system that miami set up for him, he can drive into the paint and get free throws every trip but the heat use him as a spot up shooter.

Red_Pill
06-17-2014, 06:25 PM
I think Bosh would but apparently Wade lives in a fantasy world.

If Wade opts in, James leaves. This team can't win unless two out of the three take big pay cuts so they can get a bench/starting PG.

mikekhelxD
06-17-2014, 06:31 PM
I think almost every will agree if he doesnt take a paycut. Arguably the best player right now, he took home 2 ships and you want him to take a paycut to avoid paying lux tax. Gtfo! He aint deprive of a ring anymore anyway. Only full blown haters will hate James if he doesnt take a cut.

Sly Guy
06-17-2014, 06:38 PM
Yeah, wade and bosh need to make less.

But I mean, if you've got $44million coming at you in the next 2 years guaranteed, you've got a bum set of knees, wouldn't you want all that money before trying to negotiate another $40-$60million for the rest of your career?

$20million dollars a year is a lot of money, I think it'd be really hard for bosh or wade to turn down that money knowing they've be getting significantly less.

Personally I think the big 3 are over this year, and the loss in the finals sealed it.

nycericanguy
06-17-2014, 06:44 PM
Misleading thread...Link says he doesn't want to take a paycut to help MIA in the tax, NOT for free agency...

And he shouldn't, MIA's owner is a billionaire and LBJ has made MIA the team they are now...

that doesn't neccessarily mean LBJ wouldn't take a paycut to bring in more talent.

It's one thing to take a paycut to make your rich owner richer, it's another to help bring in more talent.

majmarcus
06-17-2014, 06:49 PM
I cant blame Lebron on this one. They got they millions/billions. Dude need to get his. Its not fair to Lebron to expect him to play at a discount his whole damn career. Pay him or lose him

Stunner
06-17-2014, 06:49 PM
Misleading thread...Link says he doesn't want to take a paycut to help MIA in the tax, NOT for free agency...

And he shouldn't, MIA's owner is a billionaire and LBJ has made MIA the team they are now...

that doesn't neccessarily mean LBJ wouldn't take a paycut to bring in more talent.

It's one thing to take a paycut to make your rich owner richer, it's another to help bring in more talent.

Lol it's the same thing tho so it's not misleading , him taking a paycut helps them in free agency and helps the lux tax. In order for them to improve the roster him and the others need to opt out and take a cheaper contract .

nycericanguy
06-17-2014, 06:53 PM
Lol it's the same thing tho so it's not misleading , him taking a paycut helps them in free agency and helps the lux tax. In order for them to improve the roster him and the others need to opt out and take a cheaper contract .

nah it's completely different. if MIA could add Lowry I'm sure LBJ would take a couple million less or at least consider it, but he's not going to take less just to put the money in the owners pocket... that's what the link says.

Its far too early for LBJ to have made up his mind about this

Stunner
06-17-2014, 06:59 PM
nah it's completely different. if MIA could add Lowry I'm sure LBJ would take a couple million less, but he's not going to take less just to put the money in the owners pocket... that's what the link says.

But at the end of the day is he taking less money am I right ? But yea you right my mistake he's reported not to take a cut unless they make roster improvements .... But they can't do that unless they lower their contracts .

cssdmark
06-17-2014, 07:09 PM
Do you blame him the other two need to take cuts.

mikekhelxD
06-17-2014, 07:54 PM
nah it's completely different. if MIA could add Lowry I'm sure LBJ would take a couple million less, but he's not going to take less just to put the money in the owners pocket... that's what the link says.

But at the end of the day is he taking less money am I right ? But yea you right my mistake he's reported not to take a cut unless they make roster improvements .... But they can't do that unless they lower their contracts .

Taking less money yes, but for completely different reasons. If he wants to take less in order to help the team, so be it. But to take less to help the team make more money, BS.

jmaest
06-17-2014, 08:12 PM
I'm not sure what the big deal is. Lebron didn't build Miami, Pat Riley did. Let's start with that. If Lebron wants to stay in Miami and contend for a title then he should be willing to take a pay cut to add talent. By extension that will lower the luxury tax but why should he care about that?

He can't reasonably expect Miami to blow the cap to add players.

FOXHOUND
06-17-2014, 09:00 PM
I think him wanting to talk to Wade and Bosh first is to see what they do. At this point you gotta think Wade is opting in, and that will cripple their cap the next two seasons.

Wade opts in, LeBron says so long, or opts in for one year and leaves next offseason IMO.

Wade should opt out and take the "Duncan Deal" ($10-12M) but there's no way he would. Bosh should maybe go somewhere else where he can contend and be a focal point just to save his image as much as anything lol. Guy has been so unappreciated the past four seasons it's sickening, maybe he goes home to Dallas.

Dade County
06-17-2014, 09:31 PM
Wade opts in, LeBron says so long, or opts in for one year and leaves next offseason IMO.

Wade needs to Opt in if they can't work out a deal this off season.

And if this causes Lbj to want to leave, then Wade should ask for near Max money this upcoming off season.

TylerSL
06-17-2014, 09:33 PM
Lebron is our future, he should not be expected to take a reduction in salary. If he wants the team to be able to go out and get people he should opt out of his current contract but his new contract could easily still be 20+ million. It should be up to Wade and Bosh to take reductions because they clearly are not on the same level as he is at this point. 4 years ago Wade and Bosh were max players, but that just isn't the case anymore.

LA_Raiders
06-17-2014, 10:23 PM
LeFlop and Wade will stay; Bosh will be asked for a pay cut and will leave to Dallas.

gatkins11
06-17-2014, 10:32 PM
LeFlop and Wade will stay; Bosh will be asked for a pay cut and will leave to Dallas.

Bosh and Dallas share a mutual disinterest. He would go elsewhere before he would go home to Dallas.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-17-2014, 10:37 PM
What a greedy prick.

Im_in_Mia_bish
06-17-2014, 10:43 PM
Ugh this is gonna be just as annoying as 2010.

Chrisclover
06-17-2014, 11:05 PM
He is just saying. Wait and see him take a pay cut again.
He is so infatuated with his legacy and wants to surpass Jordan so badly. Taking less money on court shall not be a big deal because it is easy for him to get more back from the commercials.

DODGERS&LAKERS
06-17-2014, 11:08 PM
I'm all for guys getting their money. If I'm the players association, I really want to look at that low salary cap that is being used against the players. A player is being told he is not a winner, selfish, and greedy if he doesn't take a pay cut. Meanwhile teams are realing in the doe and being sold for 2 billion dollars for one of the worst franchises. Lebron is worth about 35 million. But people will ask him to play for half his worth and use his competitiveness against him.

Chrisclover
06-17-2014, 11:13 PM
Wade is done at this point and the Heat have bosh taking 3s. To all the " heat fans" that complain bosh is soft, he's merely playing the system that miami set up for him, he can drive into the paint and get free throws every trip but the heat use him as a spot up shooter.
he shall have been the 2nd option in the Finals. Wade simply shall have stepped down a bit.

Chronz
06-17-2014, 11:13 PM
Hope the players hold out for a significantly higher cap

JNA17
06-18-2014, 01:16 AM

I agree.

Bosh was practically a 24/12 player before he went to the Heat, and somehow now "he's soft", "he does nothing", "He's just a spot up shooter now", etc. I don't buy it. Bosh IMO is still that player and he has shown flashes of it everytime Lebron and Wade miss a game together.

I remember a few games this season (well last season now) where Lebron and Wade missed a few games together and Bosh becomes the number 1 option for those games. What happens? Heat still win those games (either that or most of them) and guess what? Pulls off 20+ points and 10+ boards numbers. What a freaking coincidence.

I bet if Bosh left and went to a team like the Mavs where he would be the first option again (or 2nd option behind Dirk I guess), we would see Bosh of the Raptors again, or at least close to it. The Heat clearly don't know how to utilize his talents correctly with the way the team is constructed, and as long as he stays there with Wade and Lebron, he will continue to just be a "spot up shooter". Which he is clearly not.

3ballbomber
06-18-2014, 08:16 AM

they've opted for him to be a jump shooter because he gets raped in the paint. It's not by any system Miami put him in

3ballbomber
06-18-2014, 08:17 AM
james not wanting a pay cut says alot to me. this is going to be a very interesting offseason

Heatcheck
06-18-2014, 11:00 AM
from what I read, he wont take the cut if its to simply save tax dollars, only if it gets put into helping the team.
Cant really blame him.

nickdymez
06-18-2014, 11:34 AM
He shouldn't

Phenom1
06-18-2014, 12:08 PM
Why would he? its not like his going to be good forever and will have the opportunity to make a lot of money all the time. He needs to take all the money he can get and create stability for his family. idc how much money he has. Keep in mind, this players are sacrificing their body for their team and sacrificing A LOT of time with their family, especially their kids that they could never take back. Thats why I didn't hate Kobe's contract too because if you think about it, they sacrifice a lot, playing injured, significant time away from their family and etc. Besides if you think about it owners are greedy as fuhh too.

IKnowHoops
06-18-2014, 01:43 PM
No one should take a pay cut. Its time for them (Wade, Bosh) to think about there families at this point, and securing the future at the standard they want it secured at. They won two rings, now its time for them all to move on and do what is best for each person. Wade could end up playing better after Bron leaves. They were all good players but they were a bad fit. They just won rings off talent that outweighed the fit. But they didn't compliment each other well at all. Wade and Bron did the exact same thing, so Wade had to severely change his game.

Many people are saying wade is done and he should take less. If I'm wade, I keep what is coming to me, and then try and show everyone I can still ball. At the end of his contract, he may show that he is still a 16 million plus a year guy, and so he could get 20 mill for these next two and then 16 for another 2-3 years maximizing his money. If he takes a pay cut now just because he and Bron don't mesh well, he could loose upwards of 50 million dollars if he really isn't done. He's not the player he once was, but as the man, in his comfort zone, he may show that he is still worth a good amount and if Im the big three, with careers winding down for (Wade, Bosh) it is now more important to up my value and close the career out in a money grab then to sacrifice money, and value to end my career.

IKnowHoops
06-18-2014, 01:48 PM
james not wanting a pay cut says alot to me. this is going to be a very interesting offseason

Yeah, hes not coming back. But its not just a Bron decision. I don't think Wade and Bosh want to take significant pay cuts at this stage either. I think all three will have the same mindset. "We are all good friends, we got to play together for 4 fun years. We went to the end game 4 times. We won two. We learned a lot. Now its time to get back to business."

Slug3
06-18-2014, 02:23 PM
This isn't even the whole article. He says he won't take a pay cut to help Mickey out of paying the luxury tax but will of ot means Miami will bring in more talent to help out. It's not him not taking less money, but more of him only doing it to bring in more talent.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24590904/report-lebron-james-wont-take-paycut-without-roster-upgrades

jmaest
06-18-2014, 04:56 PM
This isn't even the whole article. He says he won't take a pay cut to help Mickey out of paying the luxury tax but will of ot means Miami will bring in more talent to help out. It's not him not taking less money, but more of him only doing it to bring in more talent.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24590904/report-lebron-james-wont-take-paycut-without-roster-upgrades

And that makes perfect sense. He should only take a paycut to make his team better. I agree with him.

Bostonjorge
06-18-2014, 07:42 PM
Lebron should take a pay cut if he wants to win. He needs more superstars on his team. About 7-9 mill a year should do it. Wade and bosh will both get 20+ mill next year so Lebron has to be the one to sacrifice. Sign Lowry and boom.

GiantsSwaGG
06-18-2014, 07:46 PM

If Wade opts in, you can kiss James goodbye

bluefire7002
06-18-2014, 07:53 PM
When are players allowed to start opting in/out?

Slug3
06-19-2014, 12:10 AM
When are players allowed to start opting in/out?

It depends on the contract they sign. I believe either the 3rd or fourt year they can start offering player or team opt outs. Maybe even after year 2.

bluefire7002
06-19-2014, 03:36 AM
It depends on the contract they sign. I believe either the 3rd or fourt year they can start offering player or team opt outs. Maybe even after year 2.

I meant what day this offseason.

Slug3
06-19-2014, 11:42 AM
I meant what day this offseason.

Oh I believe they have till the 29th to decide if they will opt out.

pebloemer
06-19-2014, 12:12 PM
Why would he? The team around him should take pay cuts to play with him not the other way around

This.

Tony_Starks
06-19-2014, 12:31 PM
They all took paycuts to form this super team. Why would any of them take another one? They just went to their 4th straight finals, it's far from panick time.....

Chronz
06-19-2014, 12:36 PM
They all took paycuts to form this super team. Why would any of them take another one? They just went to their 4th straight finals, it's far from panick time.....

Did you miss how lopsided the Finals were. The Heat are prolly like the 5th best team in the league with how Wade has declined. Bosh has potential but everyone save for Bron, requires a paycut.

Tony_Starks
06-19-2014, 12:45 PM
Did you miss how lopsided the Finals were. The Heat are prolly like the 5th best team in the league with how Wade has declined. Bosh has potential but everyone save for Bron, requires a paycut.

It was lopsided because they got out coached. It isn't Boshs fault he's been turned into a jump shooter. The Heat still had the superior team, Wades injuries aside. The Spurs just had the better scheme. Give Lebron his stats and limit everybody else.

That still doesn't require a paycut. They could bring back this roster with minor tweaks and be right back in contention....

TheIlladelph16
06-19-2014, 12:57 PM
It was lopsided because they got out coached. It isn't Boshs fault he's been turned into a jump shooter. The Heat still had the superior team, Wades injuries aside. The Spurs just had the better scheme. Give Lebron his stats and limit everybody else.

That still doesn't require a paycut. They could bring back this roster with minor tweaks and be right back in contention....

I don't think there's a single shred of evidence to support this position. From an eye-test or statistical standpoint, those Spurs were a much better overall team. Spoelstra got outcoached no doubt, but you can't honestly tell me that the Heat were better than the Spurs supporting cast.

FriedTofuz
06-19-2014, 01:59 PM
they've opted for him to be a jump shooter because he gets raped in the paint. It's not by any system Miami put him in

I've watched Bosh since he was a rookie in Toronto. He does NOT get raped in the paint.
Honestly, I'm bitter for him leaving TOronto but I respect his talents. He's the quickest in the league for this position as a natural PF and is a matchup nightmare for every PF. DEfensively he was okay but
he was forced to guards Centers cus Bargnani was taking 3s.

Bosh doesnt get enough respect. The thing about bosh that peopel dont know is, he worked very hard and never got acknowledgment. Now when he's on the big stage with TVs for him to be on, he's under valued and "heat" fans scapegoat him 2nd to Chalmers for the heat's problem. He can easily put up 20/10 if the heat want him to.

FriedTofuz
06-19-2014, 02:02 PM
Lebron is not greedy. He's done a lot of sacrificing and the heat organization and owner hasnt done enough.
You cant call him stingy, he's the best player in the game and would make any team a contender.

Heatcheck
06-19-2014, 02:27 PM
Lebron is not greedy. He's done a lot of sacrificing and the heat organization and owner hasnt done enough.
You cant call him stingy, he's the best player in the game and would make any team a contender.

hes not greedy, but to say the organization and owner haven't done enough Is laughable

bluefire7002
06-19-2014, 04:48 PM

Problem is trying to sell to Lebron to come back with those 2, knowing that Wade is going to only get older and probably worse. the guy took 1/3rd the season off and still sucked in the finals. Bosh should definitely be the 2nd option on that team.

Slug3
06-19-2014, 05:20 PM

I don't think Miami had the supieor team. Had the best player, but not the best team.

jmaest
06-19-2014, 05:39 PM
I've watched Bosh since he was a rookie in Toronto. He does NOT get raped in the paint.
Honestly, I'm bitter for him leaving TOronto but I respect his talents. He's the quickest in the league for this position as a natural PF and is a matchup nightmare for every PF. DEfensively he was okay but
he was forced to guards Centers cus Bargnani was taking 3s.

Bosh doesnt get enough respect. The thing about bosh that peopel dont know is, he worked very hard and never got acknowledgment. Now when he's on the big stage with TVs for him to be on, he's under valued and "heat" fans scapegoat him 2nd to Chalmers for the heat's problem. He can easily put up 20/10 if the heat want him to.

I agree with some of this. But I think we need to be honest & sincere here: Bosh has to take blame for the way he's being used too. Can't just blame that on the coaches in Miami. He could have redefined himself and not have left that up to anyone else. I had to look this up because I have never thought of Bosh as a good rebounder--even in Toronto--so I can say with absolute certainty that he's not now nor was he ever a lock to be a 20-10 guy. He's only done it 3 times in his career and his highest avg of 10.8 came in his contract year.

There was never anything stopping Bosh from turning into a 12-12 guy or 15-12 guy. The Fact is he rebounded LESS in Miami than he did with Toronto and it seems to me that's on him and no one else.

I also disagree that he is anything worth mentioning defensively. "Raped" is a strong word to use against him but he has shown, even in his Toronto days, an inability to guard PF or C consistently. He has his moments but defense is NOT his strong suit by a long shot.

HumJeez
06-19-2014, 05:44 PM
I hope this happens, I'd love to see where the bandwagon goes.

Tony_Starks
06-19-2014, 08:47 PM
People are really underestimating Wade. A diminished version of Wade is still by far the second best SG in the league, 3rd best sg ever.

If you can put up like 18 points a night on your worst day as a "sidekick" you are a pretty bad boy. This guy had the highest shooting percentage of his career, he's far from done or a scrub. Old D Wade is still better than most of your favorite scoring guards....

NBA_Starter
06-19-2014, 08:50 PM
^If Wade could take less money to show that then Great, otherwise he is tying up too much money to win now.

GiantsSwaGG
06-19-2014, 08:56 PM
If LeBron leaves, Justinnum1 will follow

JNA17
06-19-2014, 09:00 PM
If LeBron leaves, "Heat fans" will follow

Fixed. We will be back to having 5 Heat fans again.

NBA_Starter
06-19-2014, 09:41 PM
[B]If[/B he leaves.

JNA17
06-19-2014, 09:46 PM
I'll be honest, part of me wants Lebron to leave just because of the **** storm that would happen if he leaves to another super team again. :laugh2:

NBA_Starter
06-19-2014, 09:49 PM
I'll be honest, part of me wants Lebron to leave just because of the **** storm that would happen if he leaves to another super team again. :laugh2:

After the way his team quit on him I wouldn't blame him at all.

Tony_Starks
06-19-2014, 09:51 PM
^If Wade could take less money to show that then Great, otherwise he is tying up too much money to win now.

D Wade is a Heat lifer. Got a ring before the invention of the big 3. He's not taking a paycut, that's almost certain. These guys came to his city.

bluefire7002
06-20-2014, 12:26 AM
If LeBron leaves, Justinnum1 will follow

:laugh:

THE MTL
06-20-2014, 12:52 AM
Wade and Bosh should be the ones taking less. Lebron James took just as much money as the other two on the last deal and honestly, he might be one of the most underpaid guys in the league. Bosh earning 20.6 million is a joke. His new deal should be around 11-12 million and Wade's should be 12-13 million value too.

But Lebron has already paid his "dues". Its time to make money. Kobe got 24 million per year