PDA

View Full Version : So we had MJ, then Kobe, now Lebron, WHOS NEXT?

diu9leilomo
06-17-2014, 01:28 AM
In the 90's, MJ was clearly the best. 00's obviously Kobe, and now even the Heat loss the finals, Lebron is still the best player in the world. Although we have KD waiting in line but I don't see him reaching lebrons level, probably retire the same time and always will be second to lebron. So who you guys think will be the next GOAT? IMO, I don't think anyone (including this year's draft) will be same level as those 3 guys. Appreciate the greatness while we can...

goingfor28
06-17-2014, 01:29 AM
I agree. I don't think the next one of those guys is in the league yet.

bucketss
06-17-2014, 01:33 AM
hopefully a big man so we can get away from whatever jordan started.

BALLER R
06-17-2014, 01:35 AM
I agree. I don't think the next one of those guys is in the league yet.

This

SPURSFAN1
06-17-2014, 01:37 AM
Kawhi Leonard.

goingfor28
06-17-2014, 01:37 AM
hopefully a big man so we can get away from whatever jordan started.
:eyebrow:

northsider
06-17-2014, 01:42 AM
Durant is close but, as far as that type of generational talent I don't see anyone else remotely close.

ink
06-17-2014, 01:48 AM
No more GOATs please.

Let's talk basketball instead.

IKnowHoops
06-17-2014, 02:07 AM
I think KD already surpassed Kobe

bulls_world23
06-17-2014, 02:23 AM

Lmaoooo can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

Hotone1401
06-17-2014, 02:28 AM

^Don't feed the troll.

ATL_Representa
06-17-2014, 02:38 AM
KD has yet to have his run but it's coming in a year or two..He's a bonifide superstar as is LeBron..Stop acting like bron is on another level..He's not..Is he better? Yes! But only slightly..I think Wiggins is that next guy! Time will tell.

IKnowHoops
06-17-2014, 02:42 AM
^Don't feed the troll.

His peak numbers are better so don't really know where your coming from

IKnowHoops
06-17-2014, 02:43 AM
Lmaoooo can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

His peak numbers are better so don't really know where your coming from

FOBolous
06-17-2014, 02:44 AM
Durant has reached LeBron'a level this year and both of them has surpassed Kobe in terms of skills and abilities...tho Kobe is currently more decorated than both of them.

I'm personally hoping that Durant and LeBron will become this generation's Bird and Magic. Player 1a and 1b in opposite conferences who will meet in the finals multiple times throughout their careers trading championships with each other..

IKnowHoops
06-17-2014, 02:45 AM
KD has yet to have his run but it's coming in a year or two..He's a bonifide superstar as is LeBron..Stop acting like bron is on another level..He's not..Is he better? Yes! But only slightly..I think Wiggins is that next guy! Time will tell.

I agree with your assessment of KD. I didn't act like Bron was on another level. I believe Bron is better than Kobe, so naturally if I think KD is right there with Bron, then I think KD is better too. Don't put words in my mouth. But make no mistake, Bron is better than KD and there is absolutely no doubt about it.

Matter.
Durant has reached LeBron'a level this year and both of them has surpassed Kobe in terms of skills and abilities...tho Kobe is currently more decorated than both of them.

I'm personally hoping that Durant and LeBron will become this generation's Bird and Magic. Player 1a and 1b in opposite conferences who will meet in the finals multiple times throughout their careers trading championships.

Are you ****ing serious?

NoahH
Wiggins

FOBolous
06-17-2014, 02:46 AM
Are you ****ing serious?

Yea. Durant beat out LeBron for the MVP this year and both of their peak numbers are better than Kobe's. That's a fact.

And even tho LeBron's a SF...he is more similar to Magic than he is to Jordan. Durant also has a similar playing style to Bird.

Matter.
06-17-2014, 02:52 AM
Are you ****ing serious?

Yea. Durant beat out LeBron for the MVP this year and both of their peak numbers are better than Kobe's. That's a fact.

And even tho LeBron's a SF...he is more similar to Magic than he is to Jordan. Durant also has a similar playing style to Bird.
I am talking about skillset, are you ****ing serious ?

FOBolous
06-17-2014, 02:54 AM

Do you disagree and why? Or do you just think Kobe is somehow on a high untouchable pedestal next to Jordan?

FlashBolt
06-17-2014, 02:54 AM
1) Kobe has achieved more through longevity. Nothing else.
2) Durant and Bron in their peak are better players than Bryant's peak. Sure, Bryant has more rings but peak wise, I'd take Bron and KD.

FOBolous
06-17-2014, 02:58 AM
2) Durant and Bron in their peak are better players than Bryant's peak. Sure, Bryant has more rings but peak wise, I'd take Bron and KD.

this.

Matter.
06-17-2014, 02:59 AM

Do you disagree and why? Or do you just think Kobe is somehow on a high untouchable pedestal next to Jordan?
No I rank Kobe 7-9 in all-time, and your telling me Durant and LeBron are more skilled then Kobe, I don't understand, LeBron is 6-9 260 pounds of muscle who can't always rely on his jumpshot and to which isn't a better post player then Kobe .

Durant ? 6-11 and was gifted with sharpshooting ability , cmon take off your hate glasses , your a Houston fan I get it.

FlashBolt
06-17-2014, 02:59 AM
The only argument for Bron not beating Kobe is rings. Other than that, there is no legitimate reason why he won't surpass him in any other facet of the game. Remember, Kobe has more rings than Bird and many people put Bird over Kobe.. just saying.

jerellh528
06-17-2014, 03:04 AM
It's kd's era now. It started this year and will continue until maybe wiggins takes over, or a guy not yet in the league.

FlashBolt
06-17-2014, 03:04 AM
No I rank Kobe 7-9 in all-time, and your telling me Durant and LeBron are more skilled then Kobe, I don't understand, LeBron is 6-9 260 pounds of muscle who can't always rely on his jumpshot and to which isn't a better post player then Kobe .

Durant ? 6-11 and was gifted with sharpshooting ability , cmon take off your hate glasses , your a Houston fan I get it.

Do you even know what the word skilled means? It is being capable of having expertise of a particular craft. James has skill.. It's why he is the best player in the NBA. You can't be the best player just by being big. 6/9 260 pounds.. Kwame Brown is 6"11 280, what's your point? "gifted"... Jesus, so you're telling me Kobe wasn't gifted with any of his abilities? Kobe grew up playing sports in a privileged household while James and KD grew up in ghetto neighborhoods. I'm sorry but you don't know what skilled means.. And since when the hell did skill involve purely shooting? Oh, sorry.. Guess Kareem wasn't skilled at all. He was just a tall dude who was gifted with 38,000 points. Make some legitimate arguments instead of some silly opinionated post.

jerellh528
06-17-2014, 03:06 AM
Do you even know what the word skilled means? It is being capable of having expertise of a particular craft. James has skill.. It's why he is the best player in the NBA. You can't be the best player just by being big. 6/9 260 pounds.. Kwame Brown is 6"11 280, what's your point? "gifted"... Jesus, so you're telling me Kobe wasn't gifted with any of his abilities? Kobe grew up playing sports in a privileged household while James and KD grew up in ghetto neighborhoods. I'm sorry but you don't know what skilled means.. And since when the hell did skill involve purely shooting? Oh, sorry.. Guess Kareem wasn't skilled at all. He was just a tall dude who was gifted with 38,000 points. Make some legitimate arguments instead of some silly opinionated post.

Kobe's is vastly more skilled than both. Maybe second only to mj, and I'd say on his level.

FOBolous
06-17-2014, 03:07 AM

I don't care where "you" think Kobe is ranked. Cause you're a nobody. You're just some guy on in internet. I'm not going to make decisions and base my opinions on what "you" think. I am, however, going to make judgements based on on court results according to statistical measurements. And these statistical measurement says what "you" think is wrong.

While Durant and LeBron both lag behind Kobe in terms of accomplishments, they are currently both better players than Kobe was during his prime.

Matter.
06-17-2014, 03:12 AM

See this is where you put words in my mouth , I never said Kareem was unskilled, Kareem had post moves amaZing post moves and he wasn't an atrocious defender either , thing that you don't understand is that there is a difference between people who just look at stats and say something while there are people who only talk from what thy see and then there are a few who do both , in terms of skill I was talking about how a player scores, tell me now who scores in a morw skilled way Durant ,LeBron ,Kobe. Peak wise LeBron has put up better numbers so gtfo with your "bias opinions" when you yourself suck LeBron in the morning and Durant in the night

Master Mind
06-17-2014, 03:20 AM
It's kd's era now. It started this year and will continue until maybe wiggins takes over, or a guy not yet in the league.

Just curious, at what age did MJ's and Kobe's era end?

Matter.
06-17-2014, 03:20 AM

I don't care where "you" think Kobe is ranked. Cause you're a nobody. You're just some guy on in internet. I'm not going to make decisions and base my opinions on what "you" think. I am, however, going to make judgements based on on court results according to statistical measurements. And these statistical measurement says what "you" think is wrong.

While Durant and LeBron both lag behind Kobe in terms of accomplishments, they are currently both better players than Kobe was during his prime.

What the hell you asked me why I disagree and you claimed that I put Kobe that high , wtf **** off ...

jerellh528
06-17-2014, 03:23 AM
Just curious, at what age did MJ's and Kobe's era end?

Mj 34
Kobe 32

FOBolous
06-17-2014, 03:23 AM
What the hell you asked me why I disagree and you claimed that I put Kobe that high , wtf **** off ...

well...you responded to my assertions with such bewilderment i assumed you had better justification for you thinking i'm wrong beyond simply "because i said so." yea i was disappointed.

Matter.
06-17-2014, 03:28 AM

well...you responded to my assertions with such bewilderment i assumed you had better justification for you thinking i'm wrong beyond simply "because i said so." yea i was disappointed.

Ofcourse I did , you believe like one can't have a different opinion , and if they do you classify them as idiots or Kobephiles, I know your hate for Kobe and the Lakers. Don't know why I bothered with someone as ignorant as you knowing your antics

FOBolous
06-17-2014, 03:30 AM
Ofcourse I did , you believe like one can't have a different opinion , and if they do you classify them as idiots or Kobephiles, I know your hate for Kobe and the Lakers. Don't know why I bothered with someone as ignorant as you knowing your antics

lol why so defensive? this is a discussion board. we can't have a discussion when your justification for things is "because i said so." and what else am I suppose to think when you think things "just because" despite evidences of the contrary?

jerellh528
06-17-2014, 03:36 AM
Actually there's no evidence at all, it's all opinion

hidalgo
06-17-2014, 03:40 AM
MJ turned 35 in february 1998. the finals were in june as always. so how could he have magically went back to being 34? fact is he was 35 the last 4 months of his Bulls career in 1998 (feb 17 to june 14)

WadeKobe
06-17-2014, 03:43 AM
People do realize Kobe has never been as good as Lebron and KD are right now, right? Like, this isn't actually an argument, right? It's just a fact.

hidalgo
06-17-2014, 03:44 AM
and after MJ's era was the Tim Duncan/Shaq era (99-07 with TD still going strong really), then the LeBron era was in full effect. Kobe didn't own an era & was never even the best player in the nba for 1 season. it was TD or Shaq until 2008 then it was LeBron

jerellh528
06-17-2014, 03:46 AM
People do realize Kobe has never been as good as Lebron and KD are right now, right? Like, this isn't actually an argument, right? It's just a fact.

Kobe is much better than both of them. Lebron will never be as good as Kobe's worst season. Kd has a chance

jerellh528
06-17-2014, 03:48 AM
and after MJ's era was the Tim Duncan/Shaq era (99-07 with TD still going strong really), then the LeBron era was in full effect. Kobe didn't own an era & was never even the best player in the nba for 1 season. it was TD or Shaq until 2008 then it was LeBron

Wrong, Kobe's era started in 99 and lasted until 2010. Lebron had 2010 until 2013 only because he joined a super team and Kobe was older and durant too young. Kinda by default. now it's kd.

FOBolous
06-17-2014, 03:56 AM
Actually there's no evidence at all, it's all opinion

the great thing about facts (in this case, statistical facts) is that it's true whether you want to believe in it or not.

jerellh528
06-17-2014, 04:00 AM
the great thing about facts (in this case, statistical facts) is that it's true whether you want to believe in it or not.

Stats don't make a player factually better than another. A stat is simply a number of production with infinite variables with no control. Therefore no control = not a fact

numba1CHANGsta
06-17-2014, 04:17 AM
Stop comparing LeBron with MJ and Kobe!! LeBron plays the FOWARD position, MJ and Kobe played the GUARD position geez :facepalm:

numba1CHANGsta
06-17-2014, 04:21 AM
BTW stop with the age comparison, MJ went to college, Kobe did not, and LeBron is close to the downfall of his prime

bluefire7002
06-17-2014, 04:29 AM

Skill wise, in Kobe's prime Lebron and KD don't come close. Lebron is a beast (physically) yet still can't develop the post game that he should have by now. Although I will say KD's prime is yet to come so we shall see.

dAngelo
06-17-2014, 04:38 AM
Wrong, Kobe's era started in 99 and lasted until 2010. Lebron had 2010 until 2013 only because he joined a super team and Kobe was older and durant too young. Kinda by default. now it's kd.

Wrong, Shaq and Duncan had 99 to 2007. Kobe had 2008 until 2010 only because the Lakers was able to trade for Gasol and Shaq was older and Lebron was still young with a ****** team. Kinda by default. now it's Lebron.

jerellh528
06-17-2014, 04:41 AM
Wrong, Shaq and Duncan had 99 to 2007. Kobe had 2008 until 2010 only because the Lakers was able to trade for Gasol and Shaq was older and Lebron was still young with a ****** team. Kinda by default. now it's Lebron.

Nope you're wrong and I'm right. Lebron is in for the largest decline since wade

amos1er
06-17-2014, 04:53 AM

You clearly don't know what you are talking about. Shaq was a shell of himself by 2005 and Tim was also not putting up close to the production he was from 2001-2005. By 2007, Shaq was pretty much done and no one in their right minds would have said that Duncan was on Kobe's level at that point.

I also don't see how trading for Gasol made Kobe a better player individually. All it did was put him in a position to win some more titles and be more successful from a team standpoint. Can you please explain that one to me...

JJ_JKidd
06-17-2014, 05:12 AM
DuLOL? I mean Durant?

dAngelo
06-17-2014, 05:14 AM
You clearly don't know what you are talking about. Shaq was a shell of himself by 2005 and Tim was also not putting up close to the production he was from 2001-2005. By 2007, Shaq was pretty much done and no one in their right minds would have said that Duncan was on Kobe's level at that point.

I also don't see how trading for Gasol made Kobe a better player individually. All it did was put him in a position to win some more titles and be more successful from a team standpoint. Can you please explain that one to me...

Really? Shaq was a shell of himself by 2005? The year Nash won his first MVP, I seem to remember that people thought that it should have been Shaq's. He averaged 22.9 ppg and 10.4 rpg and lead the Heat to a 59-23 record.

As for Duncan, well, he was a 20-10 guy even with reduced minutes and was still leading his team to 50+ wins per season. Also, his team was a contender each and every year.

As for the second part of your reply, you should read the post that I replied to. He said that Lebron's era started when he formed a superteam, completely disregarding everything that Lebron did as an individual player. If that's the criteria, then it should also be the same for Kobe, hence his era started once his team started competing.

amos1er
06-17-2014, 05:42 AM
Really? Shaq was a shell of himself by 2005? The year Nash won his first MVP, I seem to remember that people thought that it should have been Shaq's. He averaged 22.9 ppg and 10.4 rpg and lead the Heat to a 59-23 record.

Thats all fine and dandy, but you originally said 2007 and now your basing your entire argument on the 2004-2005 season when I was referring to the 2005-2006 season where Shaq was a shell of his former self and in no way in contention for being the best player in the NBA which is what you claimed he was as far ahead as 2007.

As for Duncan, well, he was a 20-10 guy even with reduced minutes and was still leading his team to 50+ wins per season. Also, his team was a contender each and every year.

What does that have to do with your original claim that Duncan was a better individual player than Kobe was in 2007. Individually, Duncan stopped being in those talks around 2005, same as Shaq. Your OP was completely flawed and exaggerated when you claimed both Shaq and Duncan as better individual players than Kobe from 1999-2007.

As for the second part of your reply, you should read the post that I replied to. He said that Lebron's era started when he formed a superteam, completely disregarding everything that Lebron did as an individual player. If that's the criteria, then it should also be the same for Kobe, hence his era started once his team started competing.

What does that have to do with anything... Lol. You were the one who threw Gasol into the equation as if it had something to do with Kobe as an individual.

I also fail to see the comparison to Lebron taking less money and forming a super team in Miami and Gasol being traded to the Lakers. Gasol was only an all-star once before he teamed up with Kobe and had not even won a single playoff game. Kobe made him who he was which is more than I can say for Lebron the statsheet stuffer who statsheet stuffed his multiple all-star teammates right into mediocrity. Kobe won against far greater competition with only A SINGLE one time all-star who never won a single playoff game while Lebron choked against lesser teams with his TWO multiple all-star wingmen who won multiple playoff games and one of which who had a ring and a finals MVP. You are way off base with this argument.

todu82
06-17-2014, 06:17 AM
Durant.

dAngelo
06-17-2014, 06:37 AM
Thats all fine and dandy, but you originally said 2007 and now your basing your entire argument on the 2004-2005 season when I was referring to the 2005-2006 season where Shaq was a shell of his former self and in no way in contention for being the best player in the NBA which is what you claimed he was as far ahead as 2007.

I was not basing my entire argument on the 05 season. You specifically asked about the 05 season and that's why I answered. From 06-07, yes Shaq was no longer in contention for the best player in the league. But did I specifically say that 06-07 was Shaq's era alone? What I originally said was, from 99-07, it was Shaq and Duncan's era, so from 06-07, did it not occur to you that I might have been talking about Duncan?

What does that have to do with your original claim that Duncan was a better individual player than Kobe was in 2007. Individually, Duncan stopped being in those talks around 2005, same as Shaq. Your OP was completely flawed and exaggerated when you claimed both Shaq and Duncan as better individual players than Kobe from 1999-2007.

I never claimed that Duncan was the better individual player than Kobe was in 2007. But he was still putting up great numbers and they won the championship in 2007 so I still consider that a part of Duncan's era of greatness. From 06-07, where was Kobe? Yes, he was putting up great numbers but his team was getting eliminated in the first round of the playoffs.

Shaq and Duncan were both better players than Kobe from 99-05 and from 06-07, Kobe may have surpassed them as a better individual player but his team was getting eliminated in the first round so how can 99-07 be Kobe's era?

What does that have to do with anything... Lol. You were the one who threw Gasol into the equation as if it had something to do with Kobe as an individual.

I also fail to see the comparison to Lebron taking less money and forming a super team in Miami and Gasol being traded to the Lakers. Gasol was only an all-star once before he teamed up with Kobe and had not even won a single playoff game. Kobe made him who he was which is more than I can say for Lebron the statsheet stuffer who statsheet stuffed his multiple all-star teammates right into mediocrity. Kobe won against far greater competition with only A SINGLE one time all-star who never won a single playoff game while Lebron choked against lesser teams with his TWO multiple all-star wingmen who won multiple playoff games and one of which who had a ring and a finals MVP. You are way off base with this argument.

Look, you should really read the post by Jerellih that I replied to, it will help you understand why I posted the things that I posted.

FraziersKnicks
06-17-2014, 06:59 AM
How can a player have an era when he wasn't even the best player in the league for one season?

Since Kobe entered the league:

1996-97: Jordan
1997-98: Jordan
1998-99: Shaq
1999-00: Shaq
2000-01: Shaq
2001-02: Duncan
2002-03: Duncan/KG/T-Mac
2003-04: Duncan/KG
2004-05: KG/Dirk
2005-06: Dirk
2006-07: Dirk
2007-08: LeBron/CP3
2008-09: LeBron
2009-10: LeBron
2010-11: LeBron
2011-12: LeBron
2012-13: LeBron
2013-14: LeBron

Kobe hasn't had an era. Jordan had up until 98, Shaq had 99-01, TD/KG/Dirk shared the next couple of years from 02-07 then it's been LeBron from 08-14.

In terms of popularity Kobe dominated the 00's, but he has never been the best player in basketball for any of those years.

JPS
06-17-2014, 07:13 AM
In the 90's, MJ was clearly the best. 00's obviously Kobe, and now even the Heat loss the finals, Lebron is still the best player in the world. Although we have KD waiting in line but I don't see him reaching lebrons level, probably retire the same time and always will be second to lebron. So who you guys think will be the next GOAT? IMO, I don't think anyone (including this year's draft) will be same level as those 3 guys. Appreciate the greatness while we can...

MJ was clearly the best, then Shaq, then Lebron. Kobe may have had the better career than Shaq and Lebron, he was never the undisputed best though. 10 years of top 5 is awesomely impressive, it is not undisputed best though.

I don't think the next one is in the league yet. Hopefully the Spurs gave everyone the blueprint and the emphasis will move to team play over the star driven stuff we have now. Not that there won't be stars since the Spurs have several, but that the emphasis will be on team play more than iso athleticism.

ATL_Representa
06-17-2014, 10:34 AM

this.

Lol Kobe was averaging 30 + a game in his prime...In 2007 he averaged 35-6-6...What are you 12 years old? Please don't talk #'s Lol at their peak they're still not better than Mr 81 pt game, 5 ring Kobe....You guys crack me up on here!! Stop living in the moment!!!

ManningToTyree
06-17-2014, 11:47 AM
Durant is the next great wing player. I assume that's what you mean because you used Kobe and not shaq as the 00s example

FOBolous
06-17-2014, 12:25 PM
Lol Kobe was averaging 30 + a game in his prime...In 2007 he averaged 35-6-6...What are you 12 years old? Please don't talk #'s Lol at their peak they're still not better than Mr 81 pt game, 5 ring Kobe....You guys crack me up on here!! Stop living in the moment!!!

you are incredibly dense if ppg is the only thing you look at. Both KD and LeBron has surpassed prime Kobe. In fact, Durant has managed to accomplish something no other wing player in the history has managed to do which is match Jordan's efficiency.

nickdymez
06-17-2014, 01:14 PM

I'm personally hoping that Durant and LeBron will become this generation's Bird and Magic. Player 1a and 1b in opposite conferences who will meet in the finals multiple times throughout their careers trading championships with each other..
Seriously, how old are you?

nickdymez
06-17-2014, 01:16 PM
Since when is trolling ok here [emoji57]

FraziersKnicks
06-17-2014, 05:03 PM
Since when is trolling ok here [emoji57]

When it's not trolling and actually a very very obvious statement

nickdymez
06-17-2014, 05:04 PM
When it's not trolling and actually a very very obvious statement
Obvious to 13 year old trolls

Jarvo
06-18-2014, 02:24 AM
Ehh I'm iffy about Wiggins and Parker and I'm a Duke fan, I think both of them should have stayed in school a year more because as of now I don't see either as the future face of the NBA. I see them as very solid all star bound players though.

Hope they both prove me because they have alot of potential and talent.

rocketfuel
06-19-2014, 07:33 AM
Will there ever be another Jordan?

JordansBulls
06-19-2014, 10:32 PM
In the 2000's you had a 3 way in Shaq, Duncan and Kobe

BigCityofDreams
06-21-2014, 11:33 AM
So this turned into another Kobe ain't ish thread...what a surprise lol.