PDA

View Full Version : Will Kawhi Leonard Live Up to the Finals MVP award?

JasonJohnHorn
06-16-2014, 10:33 PM
Leonard has already shown himself to be an elite defender, and he is a strong rebounder for his position and respectable scorer. This year he managed to increase his scoring, rebounding, assists and blocks and maintain his steals despite a slight decrease in minutes. He had a big series and earned the MVP award, an award that very few players have been able to attach their name to. Some of the best small forwards who ever played the game don't even have one: Pippen, Nique, Melo, Dr. J., Elgin Baylor, Chris Mullin.

This is a pretty rare feat. I think Leonard is great,and Pop seems to think he is the future of the franchise, but is he going to live up to this award? Will people in 15 years see this as a series that defined a future great, or will he become a guy like Cedric Maxwell who was good, but never an All-Star despite playing at a high level in an important series?

d00d
06-16-2014, 10:35 PM
He doesn't need to. He earned it at that point in time.

NBA_Starter
06-16-2014, 10:38 PM

Exactly he lived up to it by earning it.

jerellh528
06-16-2014, 10:39 PM

Yup, he's already lived up to it by receiving it.

bleedprple&gold
06-16-2014, 10:42 PM

Yup, he's already lived up to it by receiving it.

Yup. He received it by living up to earning it.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-16-2014, 10:48 PM
I thought he was Ron Artest 2.0 (impact wise at least) coming into the league. Hopefully with a championship and a FMVP, he can be more than that and strive for a Pippen type player.

jerellh528
06-16-2014, 10:52 PM
I thought he was Ron Artest 2.0 (impact wise at least) coming into the league. Hopefully with a championship and a FMVP, he can be more than that and strive for a Pippen type player.

He would be lucky to have the career artest has had. Minus the crazy crap of course. Artest had himself a great career, probably worthy of hof consideration. Not saying kawhi can't live up to that and surpass him, but don't forget how good ron was lol

FOBolous
06-16-2014, 10:54 PM

:clap:

Corey
06-16-2014, 11:00 PM
He has earned it, but I do hope he takes that next step.

He's so quiet and composed, I'd love for him to work his way into stardom.

kobe4thewinbang
06-16-2014, 11:01 PM
Kawhi has all the potential.

He can defend the other team's best player (might be some exceptions?).
He's athletic (some of his dunks in the playoffs were, like, WOW!).
He's a capable shooter.
He's got a good attitude.

The only question is what kind of player he turns into. I don't think he could be the star of a team unless he starts playing and behaving in a way that reflects a star. But he is definitely the glue of a team, e.g. Joakim Noah.

What he needs to work on:

Free throw shooting
Shooting, in general
Ball handling and movement (had some travels)

All 'n all, a very bright future.

goingfor28
06-16-2014, 11:03 PM
Yup. He received it by living up to earning it.
Lol

AddiX
06-16-2014, 11:04 PM
He would be lucky to have the career artest has had. Minus the crazy crap of course. Artest had himself a great career, probably worthy of hof consideration. Not saying kawhi can't live up to that and surpass him, but don't forget how good ron was lol

Agreed, arrest at one point was easily one of the best all around players in the league. A top 15 player even.

I don't see Kawhi getting to that level and like most people, I'm a huge fan of his.

MrfadeawayJB
06-16-2014, 11:04 PM
I think he may have some allstar seasons, but he won't be a superstar. I do think he can be the third guy on a championship team though throughout his career

Raps18-19 Champ
06-16-2014, 11:05 PM

Nah, I know how good Ron was. Just saying this can be the push to make him strive to be more than Ron.

cmellofan15
06-16-2014, 11:09 PM
I don't see him doing much in the regular season because he really doesn't need to. But I do think he will continue to be a great player in the post season and a huge part of the Spurs staying relevant.

bulls_world23
06-16-2014, 11:12 PM
He will win MIP next season. Book it

SPURSFAN1
06-16-2014, 11:37 PM
I think he may have some allstar seasons, but he won't be a superstar. I do think he can be the third guy on a championship team though throughout his career

The guy is already the first guy on a championship team.

MrfadeawayJB
06-17-2014, 02:14 PM
The guy is already the first guy on a championship team.

Best player this series, yes, but he was not the focal point of scouting reports don't fool yourself

Crackadalic
06-17-2014, 02:17 PM
He already can be the next Ron Artest in terms of all around impact. I think when guys like Manu and Duncan retire is when we will really see his potential but until then he is at a good place. Continue to be unselfish and work hard

Jarvo
06-17-2014, 03:09 PM
He will be a All Star imo, Pop always go on about how he's the 1st one in the gym and the last to read and always want to get better and that is rare nowadays. He's already better than he was last year and once he gets a bigger role I think he will live up to it.

torocan
06-17-2014, 04:44 PM
If Pops says he's the future face of the franchise, then it's good enough for me.

ManRam
06-17-2014, 04:58 PM
I'm still unconvinced he's a go-to offensive force, far from it actually. Yes, he had a 3 really great games on the biggest setting there is, but that's still a small sample size. He's obviously a very, very, very good player with a very diverse and valuable skill set, but I'm not ready to bestow "super star" on him yet. There is still clearly a big step he has to make offensively to get to that next level.

I'm not sure how to answer the "will he live up to the Finals MVP" question, because I'm not sure he has to. He won it, that's all that matters.

SPURSFAN1
06-17-2014, 05:47 PM
20ppg 12rpg and scottie pippen defense. what a terrible player. The guy was shooting like 70%fg in the finals!!!!!!!!!!!! the question here is how did he not make first defensive team?

Red_Pill
06-17-2014, 06:13 PM
People might disagree with me, but I think this is the high point in his career. I can't see him exceeding this or repeating it.

Red_Pill
06-17-2014, 06:14 PM
20ppg 12rpg and scottie pippen defense. what a terrible player. The guy was shooting like 70%fg in the finals!!!!!!!!!!!! the question here is how did he not make first defensive team?

Agree. Better defense than Iggy for sure. He should have been on the first-team.

8kobe24
06-17-2014, 06:22 PM
Yes, he can... the guy has a lot of room for improvement. With his work ethic the sky is the limit..let's not forget it's only his 3rd year. Just because he's not flashy or has no signature moves (yet) it doesn't mean he won't live up to expectation.