PDA

View Full Version : How Much Longer is the Window for the San Antonio Spurs?

Nikeman
06-16-2014, 02:39 AM
After last year's NBA Finals, I thought they were done, and it time for OKC/LAC and the younger teams out west to take over the west.

The Spurs come out, post the best regular season in the NBA, and after their 1st round match-up with Dallas which took them to 7 games, simply just dominated the rest of the competition.

They just threw around a young Portland team which had won a tough series against Houston, they blew out OKC and took a 2-0 lead, before losing 2 straight to win 4-2, with all of their wins coming by like 15+, and then just dominated the HEAT in almost every game except games 1 and 2. Aside from the 1st quarter of Game 5, it seemed like San Antonio was never down in the series.

My question, as currently constructed, how much longer does this Spurs team have? I keep telling myself that they are done, but I've been telling myself that since 2011 it seems like.

Tim Duncan is the ageless wonder, Manu has stated that he wants to play again next season, Tony Parker is under contract, and their newly born finals MVP Kawahi looks ready to start a very promising career and become a quality offensive player and a dominant defensive threat.

With Pop at the helm, I wouldn't be surprised if San Antonio was competitive, (as in championship level) competitive for another 2 years. It just seems like they have an engine with 150k miles on it, and they just keep on replacing parts and small pieces and keep that engine running brand new.

jerellh528
06-16-2014, 02:44 AM
I think next season will be the last oppurtunity. Why? I don't have a difinitive answer besides the fact that Duncan can only be a cyborg for so many years before he's no longer a top 15 player, and he will probably prove me wrong.

goingfor28
06-16-2014, 02:45 AM
As long as pop is there it doesn't close

Nikeman
06-16-2014, 02:50 AM
As long as pop is there it doesn't close

I said with this current roster though, meaning Duncan, Ginobli, Parker.

Nikeman
06-16-2014, 02:51 AM
I think next season will be the last oppurtunity. Why? I don't have a difinitive answer besides the fact that Duncan can only be a cyborg for so many years before he's no longer a top 15 player, and he will probably prove me wrong.

He showed signs of slowing down 2-3 years ago only to come back older and better than ever lol. Like he swam in the fountain of youth.

goingfor28
06-16-2014, 02:52 AM
I said with this current roster though, meaning Duncan, Ginobli, Parker.
gotcha. w the current roster I say 2 yrs, 3 max. only bc I think pop and tim retire together in 2-3 years
But if pop stays on for a while they'll be ok

torocan
06-16-2014, 02:52 AM
As long as Pops is on the roster, they're a competitor. In immediate terms, at least the next 2 seasons.

They've got some really nice up and coming players with Kawhi, Green, Mills, Diaw etc just getting better and lots in the tank left with Parker.

As for championship contention, I actually think the Spurs will be Better next year than this year as amazing as that is to believe.

TD and Manu shouldn't get much worse. Parker should be about the same. And you just know that Pops will perfectly manage their minutes and rest. TD doesn't rely heavily on athleticism so offensively he'll still be a beast, and defensively he'll be fine since you're not asking him to guard perimeter players.

Leonard, Mills, Green and Baynes should all improve. Diaw and Belinelli will be more comfortable in the system.

The West is a tough, tough place.

NoahH
06-16-2014, 02:54 AM
Spurs are bound to lose a couple key guys to free agency. Patty Mills earned himself a nice paycheque after this season as well as Diaw so they may not be able to keep all their guys, but I think they have a legit shot at repeating next year

chitownbulls
06-16-2014, 02:55 AM
He showed signs of slowing down 2-3 years ago only to come back older and better than ever lol. Like he swam in the fountain of youth.

Yeah, I never really understood how he bounced back so well

Duncan = Donkey
06-16-2014, 03:17 AM
When Duncan retires

force_within
06-16-2014, 03:19 AM
I can see them contending for the title next season for the last time with Duncan, Manu and Pop returning for the Spurs..I can still see them as a top team if Duncan and Manu leaves after next season with Kawhi, Parker and Pop leading the charge, they'll eventually find a big man that would replace Timmy.

slashsnake
06-16-2014, 03:27 AM

Yeah, the last couple years were just crazy. Kind of went against what just about every single old guy you can think of has done in the NBA. You see it in football at times (Favre in MN), but not in the NBA.

JJ_JKidd
06-16-2014, 04:18 AM
After last year's NBA Finals, I thought they were done, and it time for OKC/LAC and the younger teams out west to take over the west.

The Spurs come out, post the best regular season in the NBA, and after their 1st round match-up with Dallas which took them to 7 games, simply just dominated the rest of the competition.

They just threw around a young Portland team which had won a tough series against Houston, they blew out OKC and took a 2-0 lead, before losing 2 straight to win 4-2, with all of their wins coming by like 15+, and then just dominated the HEAT in almost every game except games 1 and 2. Aside from the 1st quarter of Game 5, it seemed like San Antonio was never down in the series.

My question, as currently constructed, how much longer does this Spurs team have? I keep telling myself that they are done, but I've been telling myself that since 2011 it seems like.

Tim Duncan is the ageless wonder, Manu has stated that he wants to play again next season, Tony Parker is under contract, and their newly born finals MVP Kawahi looks ready to start a very promising career and become a quality offensive player and a dominant defensive threat.

With Pop at the helm, I wouldn't be surprised if San Antonio was competitive, (as in championship level) competitive for another 2 years. It just seems like they have an engine with 150k miles on it, and they just keep on replacing parts and small pieces and keep that engine running brand new.

Lol not a good question. Ive been hearing the window closing/closed for a number of years now and look where they at?

PurpleJesus
06-16-2014, 05:13 AM
5 years ago, I would have said a year....now, I believe that as long as they have Pop, they will compete.

SiteWolf
06-16-2014, 08:40 AM
Yeah, I never really understood how he bounced back so well

I could be wrong, but I think if you look at his personal situation that year, you'll see that more than age effected his play.

So, what if Timmy decides this WAS his last year?

WingbowlMVP
06-16-2014, 08:54 AM
With this current roster they might actually have a decent amount of time, they have some you young guys that proved than can play big on the biggest stage.

You do have to get Duncan and Parker's replacement on the roster going into next season and you can sustain it.

Forty6and2
06-16-2014, 10:01 AM
As long as Pops is on the roster, they're a competitor. In immediate terms, at least the next 2 seasons.

They've got some really nice up and coming players with Kawhi, Green, Mills, Diaw etc just getting better and lots in the tank left with Parker.

Diaw and Belinelli will be more comfortable in the system.

The West is a tough, tough place.

I wouldn't consider Diaw an up and comer as he is 32 yrs old. What we saw of him this playoffs is that he is now comfortable in Pops system. He has become more consistant now which was the knock on him when he first was drafted by the Hawks.

nycericanguy
06-16-2014, 10:46 AM
Tony Parker was their leading scorer at 16ppg... they are a TEAM with a great system and they just keep plugging guys in... they can win even if Duncan only gives them 10 points. So even if he regresses they should be fine.

come to think of it, when was the last time a team won a title with their leading scorer averaging less than 17ppg?

KnicksorBust
06-16-2014, 11:23 AM
Spurs are bound to lose a couple key guys to free agency. Patty Mills earned himself a nice paycheque after this season as well as Diaw so they may not be able to keep all their guys, but I think they have a legit shot at repeating next year

"And they could have nearly $10 million in cap space this summer, though cap holds attached to Diaw, Mills, Matt Bonner, and whatever gem they inevitably unearth with the no. 30 pick will soak up much of that."

I could see Patty Mills looking for an overpay. A team might snatch after his hot finals (JJ Barea circa 2011) on the wire but I really believe that Diaw is too perfect for that team to let go. Plus he and Tony Parker have been friends since they were teenagers and this was a dream season for him. I think Diaw stays and they find a capable replacement for Mills.

Long term I believe Duncan has 1 year left? My gut says he retires next year but he's still so damn effective and the system is so ingrained in him at this point that there is no reason why he can't continue to be a productive 25mpg regular season player until he is 40. We'll see. I definitely think next year they will be just as deadly. I see no reason for a step-back unless the wheels completely come off Manu (still underrated in how important he is to that team).

thejordanrules
06-16-2014, 05:42 PM
I heard Duncan was retereing this hear!

BALLER R
06-16-2014, 05:49 PM
No clue, Last year I thought their window was closing. Now I'm not sure. They got pieces but it depends on what Duncan, Ginobili and Pop do. They don't rebuild so it's going to be interesting to see what approach they take.

Bruno
06-16-2014, 06:01 PM
who knows. I thought the Lakers slammed it shut in 2008.

now, anything is possible with Leonard as their young chip who ties it all together. a guy who can slow down LeBron, average good stats and kill it from 3? i'll take a guy like that for George Hill ALL DAY

Bruno
06-16-2014, 06:02 PM
could you only imagine Leonard with George on the defensive perimeter in Indy. wow.

JasonJohnHorn
06-17-2014, 01:30 AM
Their biggest problem moving forward will be finding a replacement for Duncan, but every other position is in great shape for the nest three years.

PG: Tony Parker (31)/Mills 25
SG: Danny Green (26)/Manu (35)
SF: Leonard (22)/Belinelli 27)
PF: Duncan (37)/Diaw (31)
C: Splitter (29)

Obviously they are thin at center (Duncan and Splitter play minutes there) and the are old at power forward (Duncan is likely not going to play much longer than 2 seasons if he plays that long and Diaw is on the wrong side of 30).

They got Aron Baynes who is a decent back C, but he gets limited minutes and isn't a high-percentage shooter, even if he is a decent rebounder. I'm not sure I see him developing into a big rotation player.

A back-up shooting guard shouldn't be too hard to find to replace Manu, though they likely won't be as good as Manu, they may be a good enough shooter to spread the floor and Pop can start letting Mills actually be a point guard and let him handle the ball when Parker's on the bench instead of Manu.

If the Spurs can bring a good PF or C over from Europe, or get a steal in the draft, then this window will open up for a few years. Free agency seems a long shot for the Spurs. Since Green, Leonard and Mills will likely all get decent contracts when their rookie contracts are up, and since the Spurs will likely not have significant cap space in between now and then, it is unlikely that they will be able to bring in a top tier C or PF via free agency.

They got another 2 years for sure as long as Duncan stays around, but if they don't get a decent replacement for him, then I don't see them doing much with just the strong perimeter players. Duncan's defence and rebounding is a HUGE lift for them, without it....

If they could get Marc Gasol, though... :-)

He would be SO perfect for that system!

torocan
06-17-2014, 09:15 AM
I just don't see Diaw or Mills leaving the Spurs unless there's a massive overpay. And even then, maybe not.

Diaw is Parker's childhood friend. They were room mates from the age of 15. He spent all of last year living in Parker's house. And he's gone through a series of bad fits in terms of team and coaches.

Mills absolutely loves playing for Pops. Pops has an amazing ability to make every player feel special and loved.

This is what Pops did for Mills just before the finals started...

http://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Pop-pays-homage-to-Patty-Mills-culture-family-5535351.php#/0

It's going to take more than a handful of silver for Mills to leave Pops.

kobe4thewinbang
06-17-2014, 09:39 AM
Factor 1: How much longer does Popovich want to coach?
Factor 2: How much longer does the Big 3 want to play?

It's too early to say. I give it at least one more season. But I don't think they'll reach the Finals again.

I figure they would all retire together. Maybe one of the Big 3 sticks around longer (Parker?)