PDA

View Full Version : Are the 2014 Spurs the most talented team ever?

shep33
06-16-2014, 02:05 AM
If we take a step back and look at this roster, can they be considered one of the greatest ever from a talent standpoint?

The best coach in the NBA by far, and perhaps top 2 ever
Top 3 pg in Tony Parker
Top 3 big man in Timmy
One of the best two way perimeter players in Kawhi Leonard
One of the best sixth men to every play the game (Manu)
Great shooters in Green, Bellinelli and Mills
Great role players in Diaw and Splitter

From their coach to their 12th man, they're by far the team with the greatest depth that I can ever remember. Pretty much a perfect team.

abe_froman
06-16-2014, 02:09 AM
86 celtics, 85 lakers, 83 sixers ,67 sixers?

they are talented,but you are being a prisoner of moment

Hawkeye15
06-16-2014, 02:11 AM
not the most talented, but the most well rounded possibly. From coach, to 12th man.

jerellh528
06-16-2014, 02:11 AM
Before this season started I thought they were going to take a step back from last season and it would be Okc's year. Man was I wrong and spurs came back as good or better than ever. Great team.

shep33
06-16-2014, 02:16 AM
not the most talented, but the most well rounded possibly. From coach, to 12th man.

Yeah, that's probably a better term to describe them. Pretty amazing how they're able to adjust to just about any team out there.

They can go big with Splitter and Duncan, small with Duncan at the 5 and Leonard at the 4. They can start Diaw to give them better ball movement.

Just crazy how they can adapt to their opponents.

FlashBolt
06-16-2014, 02:18 AM
This team had every player stacked with a role. Each player could pass, shoot, score, and rebound for the team. It was just a brilliant performance from them as a unit. This is what basketball should be, not hero and minions vs hero and minions. I think this Spurs team would give any team a run for their money; including the Showtime Lakers and Bulls.

jerellh528
06-16-2014, 02:22 AM
I think they got hot at the right time and match up very well vs the heat. They ran a good gameplan to make Lebron beat them and stop everyone else and it worked to a T. But I don't think they're the most talented team ever, maybe even a few western teams like the clips, hou, mem and indian before their implosion coulda given the spurs a better challenge and perhaps a run for their money. Dallas took them to 7 games and is no where near as talented as Miami.

tredigs
06-16-2014, 02:22 AM
Wtf.

Hawkeye15
06-16-2014, 02:23 AM
Yeah, that's probably a better term to describe them. Pretty amazing how they're able to adjust to just about any team out there.

They can go big with Splitter and Duncan, small with Duncan at the 5 and Leonard at the 4. They can start Diaw to give them better ball movement.

Just crazy how they can adapt to their opponents.

they are a ****ing machine. Amazing team. Best I have seen since the 01' Lakers, easily.

Hawkeye15
06-16-2014, 02:24 AM
I think they got hot at the right time and match up very well vs the heat. They ran a good gameplan to make Lebron beat them and stop everyone else and it worked to a T. But I don't think they're the most talented team ever, maybe even a few western teams like the clips, hou, mem and indian before their implosion coulda given the spurs a better challenge and perhaps a run for their money. Dallas took them to 7 games and is no where near as talented as Miami.

they got hot at the right time? A perennial great team had its best regular season ever, and just marched through the playoffs killing everyone.

This is one of the best 5-10 teams ever.

jerellh528
06-16-2014, 02:27 AM
they got hot at the right time? A perennial great team had its best regular season ever, and just marched through the playoffs killing everyone.

This is one of the best 5-10 teams ever.

I'm talking about what we witnessed in the finals. Their play thoughout the season wasn't as good. That was damn near as perfect basketball as I've witnessed for such a long stretch.

jerellh528
06-16-2014, 02:27 AM
Not taking away from regular spurs basketball, but that finals series was something else.

The_Jamal
06-16-2014, 02:31 AM
Easily the most well-rounded team we've seen in the last 20 years. Probably longer. I can't recall a team where you had to worry about so many different weapons beating you.

Tonight is a perfect example. Parker goes 7-18 for 16 points. Np though, Patty Mills picks him up going 6-10 for 17 points and 5-8 from 3pt land. And they did this the entire playoffs. Most teams crumble when their top offensive options aren't on. The Spurs just have an army of guys waiting to pick them up.

xnick5757
06-16-2014, 02:34 AM
the 86 celtics/85 lakers each had 5 HoFers on their roster

Ebbs
06-16-2014, 02:36 AM
Best chemistry maybe. But **** no to best team.

Bird Celtics (multiple years.)
Magic - Kareem (Lakers multiple years.)
Moses - Dr. J Sixers
and Jordan - Pippen Bulls (at least two years were better.)

sens#11fan
06-16-2014, 02:37 AM
No, TALENT wise this isn't one of the most talented teams ever. However, they are one of the greatest teams ever because they all work together as one unit and they all embrace and know their roles. This years 2014 Clippers or heat team are in my opinion more individually TALENTED than the spurs, however, not a better team.

shep33
06-16-2014, 02:38 AM
Easily the most well-rounded team we've seen in the last 20 years. Probably longer. I can't recall a team where you had to worry about so many different weapons beating you.

Tonight is a perfect example. Parker goes 7-18 for 16 points. Np though, Patty Mills picks him up going 6-10 for 17 points and 5-8 from 3pt land. And they did this the entire playoffs. Most teams crumble when their top offensive options aren't on. The Spurs just have an army of guys waiting to pick them up.

Yeah, it's pretty crazy. If someone told me that Duncan would average 15 and 10 during the Finals against Miami, I would think that it wouldn't be enough.

But then Kawhi steps up, or Parker, or Manu. Then like you said, when those guys are off Diaw, Mills, Green, Splitter, Bellinelli etc. step in.

Insane

Hawkeye15
06-16-2014, 02:45 AM
I'm talking about what we witnessed in the finals. Their play thoughout the season wasn't as good. That was damn near as perfect basketball as I've witnessed for such a long stretch.

I get that. But they were awesome in the regular season, despite sitting important players for huge stretches. So, by that account, if this team was healthy every game for 82, they would have won a lot more, agreed?

They were just managed right to make sure they were ready to roll come playoff time.

goingfor28
06-16-2014, 02:45 AM
No

ink
06-16-2014, 02:50 AM

Best-balanced.

torocan
06-16-2014, 02:56 AM
Most talented? No.

Most balanced, deep, well-rounded, and well coached? Quite possibly.

Most efficient offense we've ever seen in a Finals series in the modern Era? Most definitely.

The offensive records they broke this year in the Finals was incredible.

jerellh528
06-16-2014, 03:01 AM
I get that. But they were awesome in the regular season, despite sitting important players for huge stretches. So, by that account, if this team was healthy every game for 82, they would have won a lot more, agreed?

They were just managed right to make sure they were ready to roll come playoff time.

Yeah I guess so. Easily one of the more overlooked #1 seeds in a while. I for sure thought Okc was going to take them in the playoffs, especially considering they swept them in the regular season. But of course, the regular season isn't what spurs are all about. I think there have been many more talented teams in the league, but spurs probably played the most harmonious basketball ever.