PDA

View Full Version : Were the Spurs of 2014 like the Pistons of 2004?

JordansBulls
06-16-2014, 12:15 AM
Basically a team with not top tier player that won it all?

bucketss
06-16-2014, 12:19 AM
2004 pistons were not considered favourites in the nba finals.

Im_in_Mia_bish
06-16-2014, 12:20 AM
Oh wow you actually are being serious with this thread :laugh:

Hello, ginobli, kwahi, Duncan, Parker

Role players who are all smart, high basketball iq, unselfish.

That's BASICALLY a big 4 playing with arguably the best coach of all time and wade playing like a *****.

And spo coaching the heat.

Honestly, what did you expect? Lebron to average 100 ppg? lol

Raps08-09 Champ
06-16-2014, 12:21 AM
Spurs had HCA. Pistons didn't.

flea
06-16-2014, 12:37 AM
Duncan was the 2nd leading scorer, leading rebounder, minutes leader, and the best and most impactful defender for the entire playoffs run.

The Pistons didn't have a guy quite that important to what they were doing. The Spurs were only similar to that Pistons team in that they were both great teams. Take away Chauncey or either Wallace and they might not win it all, but they probably make it to the ECF at least. Take away Duncan and the Spurs lose to the Mavs in the opening round.

steelcityroller
06-16-2014, 12:51 AM
In that they both play amazing team basketball.... Yes.

basch152
06-16-2014, 01:08 AM
Duncan was the 2nd leading scorer, leading rebounder, minutes leader, and the best and most impactful defender for the entire playoffs run.

The Pistons didn't have a guy quite that important to what they were doing. The Spurs were only similar to that Pistons team in that they were both great teams. Take away Chauncey or either Wallace and they might not win it all, but they probably make it to the ECF at least. Take away Duncan and the Spurs lose to the Mavs in the opening round.

Idk dude, pistons lost ben and it barely seemed to impact them, they lost chauncey and completely fell off the map.

I think without his leadership, that starless team isn't nearly as good of a unit.

flea
06-16-2014, 01:11 AM
We'll never know. I do think Chauncey sometimes gets jobbed on greatest PG lists, though. He was as good of a defender at the guard position as there ever has been.

LAKobeBryant
06-16-2014, 01:18 AM

That's BASICALLY a big 4 playing with arguably the best coach of all time and wade playing like a *****.

if it was so obvious they should of won last year too right?

ink
06-16-2014, 01:25 AM
Sorry jb but this thread is a huge insult to a truly great team. Come on.

The Spurs are a better team from top to bottom, inside and out. Larry Brown's Pistons were a D oriented team that caught a lucky break with a profoundly dysfunctional Laker team.

There is really no comparison at all.

If we can't recognize true greatness when it's right in front of our noses, what kind of fans are we? This Spurs team didn't just upset a favourite. It throttled (per SVG) a team completely its inferior.

There has never been a better lesson in team building than these Spurs, who delivered convincingly at both ends of the court.

Im_in_Mia_bish
06-16-2014, 01:26 AM

?
You serious right now?
Comparing ginobli last year to this years?
Kwahi this year?

Do you even watch basketball?

ink
06-16-2014, 01:28 AM

They were extremely close.

abe_froman
06-16-2014, 01:34 AM
no.the spurs were really great offensive team and good d;the pistons were basically all defense

rocket
06-16-2014, 01:35 AM
Both teams had pretty top tier players...

Deception
06-16-2014, 01:35 AM

The Spurs are a better team from top to bottom, inside and out. Larry Brown's Pistons were a D oriented team that caught a lucky break with a profoundly dysfunctional Laker team.

If we can't recognize true greatness when it's right in front of our noses, what kind of fans are we? This Spurs team didn't just upset a favourite. It throttled (per SVG) a team completely its inferior.

There has never been a better lesson in team building than these Spurs, who delivered convincingly at both ends of the court.

Wait... An insult? Caught a lucky break? I'm sorry but I don't think many will agree with that.

zn23
06-16-2014, 01:46 AM
The Pistons in 04 were underdogs and humiliated the Lakers (led by Kobe Bryant) in 5 games.

The Spurs were favorites going into the series and played like Favorites.

ink
06-16-2014, 01:53 AM

Wait... An insult? Caught a lucky break? I'm sorry but I don't think many will agree with that.

The lucky break was the fact that the Lakers were in the midst of a ridiculous feud between "superstars" and Kobe was in the midst of a rape trial. Distraction doesn't get worse than that, and the Pistons were the beneficiaries. Yeah they were good but not nearly at the level of this extraordinarily balanced Spurs team.

And yes the spurs have high end talent.

GunFactor187
06-16-2014, 02:25 AM
As far as team concept and defensive basketball, yes, extremely identical I would even venture to say exactly alike. But the general makeup of the teams are different. These Spurs I'd say are deeper than what our 04 Pistons team was. These Spurs are 8-9 guys deep. I'd say that 04 Pistons team was more like 7-8 deep.

chitownbulls
06-16-2014, 02:50 AM
The lucky break was the fact that the Lakers were in the midst of a ridiculous feud between "superstars" and Kobe was in the midst of a rape trial. Distraction doesn't get worse than that, and the Pistons were the beneficiaries. Yeah they were good but not nearly at the level of this extraordinarily balanced Spurs team.

And yes the spurs have high end talent.

However, the success of the Pistons was not a fluke, as they had proven it with continued success, and consistently ranking among the best teams in the league. The way you are saying it makes it seems as though they were not a good team at all and just caught one lucky break. That sir, is not true at all.

NoahH
06-16-2014, 02:59 AM
Im not sure about your definition of a 'top tier' player but i think Parker and Duncan still fit the bill

ink
06-16-2014, 03:01 AM
However, the success of the Pistons was not a fluke, as they had proven it with continued success, and consistently ranking among the best teams in the league. The way you are saying it makes it seems as though they were not a good team at all and just caught one lucky break. That sir, is not true at all.

No, they were full credit as a contender, and maintained a level of excellence for a few years. But, with no disrespect to Pistons fans, they managed to hit the Lakers when they were exceptionally vulnerable (for the reasons I stated plus the fact that they had two new "superstars" who couldn't gel with the team).

The Spurs have a pedigree and they performed like it. They didn't just win, they annihilated a very good, very talented team and humbled them at both ends of the court. I don't think it was as much of a shocker or an upset as the Pistons-Lakers series was. These Spurs were good and had 15 years of elite status behind them. They came very close to winning last year and their preparation this year was exemplary. I'm not sure a coaching staff could ever do more to prep a team to finish off a season like this coaching staff did.

Chronz
06-16-2014, 10:57 AM
Am I the only one who thinks you guys are insulting Detroit by suggesting its not even a comparison. You guys do know they were the best defensive team of all time right? That kind of defensive dominance is unseen. Their offense sucked, but they went toe to toe with another Spurs Championship team, one you could argue as being superior to the current version, so itso facto, Detroit was BETTER .

raiderfaninTX
06-16-2014, 10:59 AM
Uh the spurs were the favorite , and let's not go down the list of their starters. .....

$KnicksAndKobe$
06-16-2014, 11:08 AM
You guys are severely underrating the 04 Pistons. They would absolutely DESTROY the 14 Spurs to the point that it would be utterly an embarrassing 4 game sweep. And for that you are also overrating the teams of this decade and underrating the 05 Spurs as well.

chitownbulls
06-16-2014, 11:15 AM
You guys are severely underrating the 04 Pistons. They would absolutely DESTROY the 14 Spurs to the point that it would be utterly an embarrassing 4 game sweep. And for that you are also overrating the teams of this decade and underrating the 05 Spurs as well.

IDK about destroy, but they'd give them a good fight. I think to say that these Spurs blow the Pistons out of the water is a pretty big insult. After all they were a great defensive team, had a great coach, and ended up having like 5 All-Stars right?

MrfadeawayJB
06-16-2014, 11:16 AM
no.the spurs were really great offensive team and good d;the pistons were basically all defense

Beat me to it. Both did focus on ball movement and had balanced scoring as well

Blink
06-16-2014, 11:29 AM
Am I the only one who thinks you guys are insulting Detroit by suggesting its not even a comparison. You guys do know they were the best defensive team of all time right? That kind of defensive dominance is unseen. Their offense sucked, but they went toe to toe with another Spurs Championship team, one you could argue as being superior to the current version, so itso facto, Detroit was BETTER .

Thank you

kdspurman
06-16-2014, 12:16 PM

I agree that Pistons team was crazy dominant. And it might be insulting to consider it's not a fair comparison. Definitely don't think that Spurs team was better than this one though. This team is far more dynamic than that one, even though the Spurs big 3 were younger.

nickdymez
06-16-2014, 12:17 PM

Lmfao. Let the excuses fly!!

Chronz
06-16-2014, 02:30 PM
I agree that Pistons team was crazy dominant. And it might be insulting to consider it's not a fair comparison. Definitely don't think that Spurs team was better than this one though. This team is far more dynamic than that one, even though the Spurs big 3 were younger.

Could very well be true but those Pistons were definitely not as deep as the year prior when they had Memo coming off the bench and younger legs. At least we agree its an argument

49ersLALSFGiant
06-16-2014, 02:35 PM

Lmao, you or any other heat fan weren't saying this before the finals.

kdspurman
06-16-2014, 02:46 PM
Could very well be true but those Pistons were definitely not as deep as the year prior when they had Memo coming off the bench and younger legs. At least we agree its an argument

Yea they definitely weren't as deep. They were just monsters defensively. The Spurs played beautiful offense. Detroit played beautiful defense. I think the Spurs were better than defensively than Detroit was offensively, but both played their way and dictated the way the games were played. I think they're equally impressive

LAKobeBryant
06-16-2014, 05:39 PM
?
You serious right now?
Comparing ginobli last year to this years?
Kwahi this year?

Do you even watch basketball?

lmao you act like you know how players are going to perform before they play

Bruno
06-16-2014, 05:51 PM
the two teams are nothing alike, IMO.

Bruno
06-16-2014, 05:53 PM
Spurs had HCA. Pistons didn't.

Pistons didn't have HCA but three of the five games were Detroit home games.

Bruno
06-16-2014, 05:53 PM
dp

Raps08-09 Champ
06-16-2014, 06:02 PM
Pistons didn't have HCA but three of the five games were Detroit home games.

So Lakers lost HCA.

Bruno
06-16-2014, 06:03 PM
So Lakers lost HCA.

they lost everything.

Raps08-09 Champ
06-16-2014, 06:15 PM
The shouldn't have. They had HCA.

Cal827
06-16-2014, 06:20 PM

That Piston team was a very good too. Remember, they pushed this Spurs team with their players in their prime, to 7 games the very next year, even winning a game 6 on the road to force 7.

Piston-Lakers were the series I thought of first. Not exactly because of the teams, but the flow of the series. In Detroit-LA, the Pistons could've swept those dysfunctional Laker teams, if it weren't for Kobe's heroics/buzzer beater in Game 2.

In SA-MIA, the Spurs could've swept the semi dysfunctional Heat, if it weren't for Lebron's heroics in game 2.

Games 3, 4, and 5 of both series were thrashings by one team.

And just like with what happened in LA in 2004, we might see a ton of changes in Miami in 2014 lol

ink
06-17-2014, 01:54 AM
^ my point is that the Spurs deserve their due here. This was in no way an upset unless a person spends all their time distracted by talk of rings and "help" for the "stars". The Spurs are not surprise champs. They almost won last year, then destroyed the Heat in the rematch. They have dominated for 15 years, winning multiple titles. Not only don't the Pistons measure up to them, very few teams in the last two decades do.

WadeKobe
06-17-2014, 02:37 AM
The Pistons had a top5 player in Ben Wallace.

IversonIsKrazy
06-17-2014, 02:47 AM
No and this is the biggest difference: Offense.
Both teams are similar in the sense that there's no superstar (38-year old Duncan is not one)
HOWEVER, Pistons were a defensive juggernaut, average offensively.
Spurs are a good defensive team, but exceptionally amazing offense. The way spurs pass the ball and play offense is something the 04 Pistons could just dream of.
I mean in the sense of a team, sure they're similar, but their teams are completley different

CityofChaos
06-17-2014, 03:10 AM
No. Everyone and their mother had the enamoured Kobe,Shaq,Malone, Payton Lakers winning the finals. The Spurs are a GOOD team. They have flawless execution offensively and more structure defensively than almost EVERY team in the league.

MickeyMgl
06-17-2014, 03:21 AM
2004 pistons were not considered favourites in the nba finals.

And the Heat were playing at full strength.

marferrer
06-17-2014, 08:49 AM
Pistons won it all with great D and the Lakers are without a 100% Malone (who is even at 100% isn't as good as he once was) a Payton who didn't learned the offense at all. The Lakers only play was throw the ball to Shaq and let Kobe do the rest if Shaq can't. And the Pistons tremendous D was just too much for Kobe and Shaq. I remember one game, Slava Medvedenko was the leading scorer for LA. That is how good the Pistons is and how bad the Lakers was back then.

As for the Spurs, let us not act as if their Big 3 aged 10yrs from last yr. They are still good this year with a better Kawhi Leonard and a very aggressive Boris Diaw. Comparing them to the'04 Pistons would be difficult because the Piston did it with D, while the Spurs did it with FLAWLESS OFFENSE.

Both teams showed the world the BEAUTY of the GAME on BOTH ends of the court, Offense and Defense.