PDA

View Full Version : Kawhi Leonard Finals MVP

Tony_Starks
06-15-2014, 11:09 PM
The only player other than Chauncey to get a Finals MVP without even a allstar nod.

flea
06-15-2014, 11:11 PM
It was a coinflip between Leonard and Duncan. Congrats to the young guy.

MonroeFAN
06-15-2014, 11:12 PM
Congrats to him. Seems like a bit of a reach though.

He's still a great young player.

beyourself
06-15-2014, 11:13 PM
Who votes on this? How is it done?

force_within
06-15-2014, 11:17 PM
this kid has a bright future..I would be cool if Duncan/Leonard won the co-MVP, the past, present and the future..

Hellcrooner
06-15-2014, 11:21 PM
The only player other than Chauncey to get a Finals MVP without even a allstar nod.

Hello?
This is Cedric Maxwell speaking.

bucketss
06-15-2014, 11:24 PM
i wonder why your comment was edited, hmmm probably taking a shot at lebron?

JJ_JKidd
06-15-2014, 11:26 PM
Lol the most important MVP was won by a player the media and analysts rarely talk about. Thats the game right now for you. Move over Kevin DuLOL

jammastershake
06-15-2014, 11:28 PM
Actually Leonard is the 6th player to do this....

Maxwell
Billups
Unseld
Reed
Dumars
Leonard

kdspurman
06-15-2014, 11:28 PM
So happy for him. His dad was killed 6 years ago, and for him to do what he did and get this on Father's day is amazing. He was terrific the last few games. His upside really is something to look forward to for Spurs fans

beyourself
06-15-2014, 11:30 PM
Taking nothing away from Leonard. Have no problem with him winning it, but they say one of the biggest reasons he won this was for his clampdown on LeBron. He didn't really shut LeBron down.

GREATNESS ONE
06-15-2014, 11:30 PM
Congrats.

kdspurman
06-15-2014, 11:36 PM
Taking nothing away from Leonard. Have no problem with him winning it, but they say one of the biggest reasons he won this was for his clampdown on LeBron. He didn't really shut LeBron down.

Lebron's #'s were still solid, but there are long stretches where he couldn't even get the ball cause of Kawhi's ball denial. He did as good a job on him than anyone could have

KnicksorBust
06-15-2014, 11:37 PM
After 2 games the series was up in the air and Leonard was hiding in the shadows... 3 games later he plays LeBron to a dead heat and wins Finals MVP. Welcome to the spotlight. Let's see how those Pippen comparisons stack up next season!! :)

Raps18-19 Champ
06-15-2014, 11:38 PM
I would've liked Duncan.

*Superman*
06-15-2014, 11:38 PM

The way I look at it, Spurs won game one. Miami takes two, but ever since that, 3-5, KL playing huge really helped just separate the gap between the two teams. An MVP on this Spurs team is overrated anyways, they just have to give it to a player and the guy that happened to step up for 3 big onslaughts was KL. Hard to discredit it, he put up the #'s also.

http://i.imgur.com/CPYEit4.jpg

JasonJohnHorn
06-15-2014, 11:51 PM
I think LeBron was the best player this series, but I'm not sure he was so much better than I would have voted for him over a guy from the winning team.

Leonard is a good pick when you look at the scoring number, and you can't underrate his defense (thought LBJ shot a VERY high percentage, Leonard did stop him from going off and have a huge series and forcing him to pass the ball).

That said, I would have went with Duncan. His defense and post play was great. When the Spurs were down 16 and trying to get back into the game, they just dropped the ball down into Duncan for three out of four plays and he scored each time and it forced Miami's defense to shift. After that, things really opened up for the other guys. And Duncan's rebounding and defense was huge.

Duncan would have gotten my vote, but Leonard was also a good pick.

DrDre94
06-15-2014, 11:57 PM
Defended Lebron well and was extremely efficient.

Well deserved.

Hawkamania
06-16-2014, 12:10 AM
Future NBA superstar.

He certainly deserved the Finals MVP and it's only fitting because if Leonard hits both free-throws during game 6 of last years Finals, Ray Allen never hits that clutch 3 to go to overtime and eventually force a game 7 which the Heat ended up winning to claim the title.

MrfadeawayJB
06-16-2014, 12:16 AM
Well deserved

flea
06-16-2014, 12:23 AM
I guess that Paul George/Kawhi Leonard debate can be re-opened.

tr4shb0t
06-16-2014, 12:25 AM
Considering he was in foul trouble most of the series it was pretty impressive

beliges
06-16-2014, 12:32 AM
Leonard was the best player out there. Well deserved.

KobeOwnSU
06-16-2014, 12:51 AM
The right guy got the MVP. He was the best player on the floor the last three games.

Tony_Starks
06-16-2014, 01:14 AM
If you would've bet me that Kawhi would lock Bron Bron up AND get finals MVP I would've taken that bet all day! This guy really did his thing.....

SanAntonioSpurs23
06-16-2014, 01:23 AM
Crazy how we traded George Hill for a finals MVP. Who would have thought.

I'm happy that Leonard won the FMVP, but I have to give props to Bo Bo aka Boris Diaw. While his stats were never that impressive without him this championship isn't possible. Also Patty "Speedy Claxton" Mills. His work ethic and bursts of energy is so fun to watch. Glad he got his chance and happy to see he can make such a big impact.

bucketss
06-16-2014, 01:30 AM
If you would've bet me that Kawhi would lock Bron Bron up AND get finals MVP I would've taken that bet all day! This guy really did his thing.....

too bad he didn't lock him down, lol this whole thread was made to take sneak shots at bron, i wonder what ur post was before the edit?

flea
06-16-2014, 01:39 AM
The work that Leonard and Duncan, and to a lesser extent Splitter and Green, did on Lebron in the paint was something to behold. It was disciplined, the doubles came on time, and very few bad fouls (probably more bad calls than bad fouls).

But Lebron is the best in the game for a reason, so he was going to score no matter what - just like Durant put up 25 a night on Leonard. Lots of Lebron's points came from fairly open jumpshots, and he shot an obscene percentage from 3 in the Finals. Basically, Durant and Lebron both took the shots the Spurs were comfortable giving them - but were prevented from breaking down the defense in the paint.

steelcityroller
06-16-2014, 01:40 AM
It's the NBA Finals MVP not the Spurs MVP or NBA Playoffs MVP.... Thats why Kawhi Leonard won that trophy. These last 3 games he has been a killer on both ends of the court.

Randy West
06-16-2014, 01:41 AM
I am so glad the Kings passed on this guy for Jimmer on draft night.

The Kings organization drafts this kid and he falls into a basketball abyss.

Instead ends up with the Spurs and is a champion, finals mvp and looking more and more like a key piece in the future of that franchise.

The Kings take him he ends up super ****ed

steelcityroller
06-16-2014, 01:50 AM
Well you know how much they love Tim Duncan and those core players in San Antonio.... But who were they chanting MVP for halfway through the game? Yeah.... The right guy got that trophy.

Hawkeye15
06-16-2014, 01:57 AM
shows how amazingly deep and well rounded the Spurs were that a guy who went for 18/6 won Finals MVP.

Congrats to him, and the complete and utter machine that was the Spurs this year. Best team I have seen in 12-13 years.

Hawkeye15
06-16-2014, 02:00 AM
Leonard was the best player out there. Well deserved.

LeBron was the best player in the series, easily. But the Spurs were ridiculous as a team, and the Heat had no answer.

NoahH
06-16-2014, 02:56 AM
Im so happy Kawhi won it. I've been drafting him yearly in fantasy basketball just hoping he was gonna breakout. Now he has and i'm sure I wont be able to get him past the 2nd round this year

DallasTrilla23
06-16-2014, 03:09 AM
Funniest Quote I saw about this topic tonight:

"I walked in to the club tonight like... Who wanna **** the MVP tonight?"
-Kawhi Leonard

Knick Killer
06-16-2014, 03:20 AM
What Indiana Pacers got for giving up an MVP: An overpaid point guard!
****!

MonroeFAN
06-16-2014, 09:32 AM
Crazy how we traded George Hill for a finals MVP. Who would have thought.

I'm happy that Leonard won the FMVP, but I have to give props to Bo Bo aka Boris Diaw. While his stats were never that impressive without him this championship isn't possible. Also Patty "Speedy Claxton" Mills. His work ethic and bursts of energy is so fun to watch. Glad he got his chance and happy to see he can make such a big impact.

Leonard's numbers weren't that impressive either though. This is just an odd selection in my eye.

Miltstar
06-16-2014, 09:53 AM
shoulda given it to Pop

*Superman*
06-16-2014, 09:54 AM
What Indiana Pacers got for giving up an MVP: An overpaid point guard!
****!
Note to self, don't trade with the Spurs.

RaiderLakersA's
06-16-2014, 09:57 AM
I thought they were going to give it to LeBron. Seriously.

But the Kawhi-et Storm was very deserving. Manu would have been my second choice for that jam alone.

BALLER R
06-16-2014, 10:13 AM
I thought they were going to give it to LeBron. Seriously.

But the Kawhi-et Storm was very deserving. Manu would have been my second choice for that jam alone.

Maybe if the series went 7 games and it was close.

Tony_Starks
06-16-2014, 10:15 AM
LeBron was the best player in the series, easily. But the Spurs were ridiculous as a team, and the Heat had no answer.

Kawhi was the best player in the series man. I know where your allegiance is but stop it. Aside from the first two games when he got in foul trouble he did whatever he wanted on both ends of the court, being defended for the most part by Lebron btw...

mjt20mik
06-16-2014, 10:29 AM

meh..

they are really good at finding players that fit well in their system.. I am not sure half of these players would be anywhere as good as they are today, if it wasn't for Pop and the Spurs system.

SPURSFAN1
06-16-2014, 10:30 AM
Kawhi deserved it. Guy played great. I couldn't stop cheering when Kawhi got it.

*Superman*
06-16-2014, 10:41 AM

meh..

they are really good at finding players that fit well in their system.. I am not sure half of these players would be anywhere as good as they are today, if it wasn't for Pop and the Spurs system.

Maybe, but KL is still a steal for Hill. They have a knack for finding talent which was my point.

bucketss
06-16-2014, 10:43 AM
i remember when the spurs wanted to trade parker because they thought they had their replacement in hill lol

CaptainROFL
06-22-2014, 10:12 AM
Kawhi was the best player in the series man. I know where your allegiance is but stop it. Aside from the first two games when he got in foul trouble he did whatever he wanted on both ends of the court, being defended for the most part by Lebron btw...

How so? He didn't show up until game 3.

As far as the series went. They played 5 games. Kwahi was not the best player in the entire series.

And Lebron was half guarding him and Tony Parker throughout the series. Kwahi went off in game 5 when Lebron guarded Tony Parker the entire game.

kdspurman
06-22-2014, 11:00 AM
How so? He didn't show up until game 3.

As far as the series went. They played 5 games. Kwahi was not the best player in the entire series.

And Lebron was half guarding him and Tony Parker throughout the series. Kwahi went off in game 5 when Lebron guarded Tony Parker the entire game.

Fairly certain he never guarded Parker the entire game. But he did guard him more than he should have, that was a bonehead move by Spo.

CaptainROFL
06-22-2014, 01:32 PM
Fairly certain he never guarded Parker the entire game. But he did guard him more than he should have, that was a bonehead move by Spo.

Only when tony Parker was on the bench bc he was playing so poorly.

But he did guard for TP for the majority of the first three quarters.

Chronz
06-22-2014, 01:35 PM
i remember when the spurs wanted to trade parker because they thought they had their replacement in hill lol

TP didn't exactly inspire faith, he kept saying the Spurs were done contending

Chronz
06-22-2014, 01:40 PM

Bron was the best player in the series man. I know where your allegiance is but stop it. Aside from the cramp game, he did whatever he wanted on both ends of the court, being defended by Leonard 90% of the time

kdspurman
06-22-2014, 01:55 PM
Only when tony Parker was on the bench bc he was playing so poorly.

But he did guard for TP for the majority of the first three quarters.

Not true. He guarded Leonard a lot too. I've watched the replay of all the games a few times

ILLUSIONIST^248
06-22-2014, 01:57 PM

He did enough to help the spurs win three straight, then he took lebrons finals MVP.

kdspurman
06-22-2014, 01:57 PM
Bron was the best player in the series man. I know where your allegiance is but stop it. Aside from the cramp game, he did whatever he wanted on both ends of the court, being defended by Leonard 90% of the time

Eh.. That's a bit of a stretch. He would look good in spurts, but Leonard had a tremendous impact on him preventing him from even touching the ball. And games 1/2, Leonard was in foul trouble, Lebron went off with Diaw on him in Game 2. But like he would score 16 or 19 in a quarter, but not do much of anything the other 3 quarters. Not to mention all the turnovers he had

ILLUSIONIST^248
06-22-2014, 01:58 PM

The way I look at it, Spurs won game one. Miami takes two, but ever since that, 3-5, KL playing huge really helped just separate the gap between the two teams. An MVP on this Spurs team is overrated anyways, they just have to give it to a player and the guy that happened to step up for 3 big onslaughts was KL. Hard to discredit it, he put up the #'s also.

http://i.imgur.com/CPYEit4.jpg.

Great find, that's all you need to see ladies and gentlemen.

ILLUSIONIST^248
06-22-2014, 01:59 PM
shows how amazingly deep and well rounded the Spurs were that a guy who went for 18/6 won Finals MVP.

Congrats to him, and the complete and utter machine that was the Spurs this year. Best team I have seen in 12-13 years.

:laugh2: this is gold. Keep trying to discredit Leonard for owning up your boy Lebron.

ILLUSIONIST^248
06-22-2014, 02:01 PM

How did that work out for him?? Oh yeah, the worst disparity in finals history and Leonard taking home the fmvp!

kdspurman
06-22-2014, 02:06 PM
I put this in another thread, but Kawhi's impact on Lebron defensively was very evident.

Leonardís defense on LeBron James in the series was key. Though James shot 57.6 percent against him, the Heat superforward wasnít always able to get his shot off or even get the ball. Nineteen percent of Jamesí touches against Leonard resulted in a James field goal attempt, compared to 33 percent against all other defenders. James was held without a touch on 33 percent of the Heatís possessions when guarded by Leonard, compared to 23 percent against all other defenders. Leonardís defense was still strong when he did find himself on someone other than James, with the rest of the Heat shooting just 27.8 percent (5-of-18) against him in the finals

and

Fewer shots
Only 17 percent of LeBronís touches against Leonard in the Finals have resulted in a field goal attempt. Thatís half the rate James has against all other defenders. That means Leonard has been successful forcing him to pass the ball or turn it over.

Fewer touches
Leonard has been successful keeping the ball out of LeBronís hands. James has been held without a touch on 35 percent of the Heatís possessions when heís guarded by Leonard. Against all other defenders heís held without a touch 25 percent of the time.

Fewer drives
James has driven to the basket on 13 percent of his touches against Leonard. That rate jumps to 22 percent against all other defenders. Leonard has been able to keep James in front of him and force tough angles to keep him away from the basket.

It all equals more Leonard vs James
Leonard finished a Heat possession on James 65 percent of the time when James was on the court in Game 3. James attempted only 14 field goal attempts in the game despite a series-high 73 touches.

And from the closing game 5? Lebron's numbers guarded by Leonard vs others

Guarded by Leonard: 5 Points on 1-6 shooting ... Guarded by All Others: 19 points on 6-11 shooting

Leonard also shot 65% when guarded by Lebron, so he made him work on both ends. People underestimate the value of Leonard's physique ( long wing span and large hands). He is able to keep Lebron in front of him, like no one else has shown to do consistently. He did the same thing last year to a lesser degree.

http://www.rappler.com/sports/by-sport/basketball/60882-holding-court-spurs-trump-talent-teamwork

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/91407/kawhi-leonard-wreaking-havoc-on-lebron

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/91529/mvp-leonard-does-it-all

ILLUSIONIST^248
06-22-2014, 02:13 PM
(null)

All the Lebron fans are trying to convince us that Lebron played extremely well. Even tho he didn't play bad, he didn't have much impact on the series besides game 2. Leonard out played him in three straight games, 2 of which came in Miami. Leonard didn't win fmvp for nothing. Congrats man, you guys deserved this one.

SPURSFAN1
06-22-2014, 06:19 PM
Everyone that watched the games knew Kawhi shut down Lecramps in the last 3 games with 2 being in miami.