PDA

View Full Version : How does history treat Eric Spoelstra?

Ty22Mitchell
06-15-2014, 10:10 PM
I wanted to post a quick thread about the finals before the all out assault on LeBron James begins in the next hour or so (and lasts two months too long)

So my question is, how does history treat Eric Spoelstra after these finals? More specifically how does he compare to coaches (fringe top 10 all time). He has obviously only coached six seasons, but for any coach to go to the finals 4 out of 6 years is very impressive. Does he lose credit for having the big three, or does he get credit for making them work? Thanks...

Discuss....

%%%%
06-15-2014, 10:17 PM
He was outcoached really badly in the 2011 Finals by Rick Carlisle; might have cost Heat the whole thing. That was a winnable series for Miami.

On the other hand, he did well in 2012 against OKC, but that's because Brooks might actually be worse than he is.

These two last two, I dunno.

I understand he brought the team to the Finals 4 straight times, but consider that he had a stacked roster and a weak Eastern Conference.

Tim Sucks
06-15-2014, 11:04 PM
Will the FIre Spoelstra chants be back in Miami? Or is this loss more on the players than on the coach?

Big Zo
06-15-2014, 11:04 PM
His history is still being written.

king4day
06-15-2014, 11:05 PM
He's still a great coach. If Miami were dumb enough to fire him, he'd be snapped up quick.

JasonJohnHorn
06-15-2014, 11:59 PM
He got a lot of wins out of those Miami teams the two years before LBJ and Bosh showed up: more than he should have. He deserves credit for that.

As for what he's done with the big three: 4 straight finals appearances? Pretty impressive.

I am most impressed with the fact that he hasn't has a center all this time and has still managed wins against the Pacers each year (who have a solid C/PF combo) the Bulls the one year in the finals (with Noah + Boozer) and the Spurs last year. Being able to beat those teams that are clearly better rebounding teams is impressive. He's created a system that doesn't have anybody other than Ray Allen play a traditional role. A point-forward in LBJ, and point-shooting guard in Wade, and stretch Center in Bosh. He's done a great job with this cast of players. The first season, I though they would struggle to reach the finals without a C and a PG.

Prop to Spo.

Max.This
06-16-2014, 12:14 AM
When he put out toney douglas Riley shouldve came down and showed him the door. Most overrated coach

TylerSL
06-16-2014, 03:06 AM
He'll be treated well

JNA17
06-16-2014, 03:23 AM
By most fans, he will be looked at like Mike Brown was "the right place at the right time". A coach that was lucky enough to be coaching a team that just signed three big named superstars. He was pretty much just...there.

I look at Spo as a decent coach. Not great like in the class of Pop, Theibo, etc. but not terrible like Mike Brown, Dantoni, etc.

Spo shows that he takes risk and makes some adjustments when push comes to shove. Like starting Ray Allen tonight for example, while it didn't work, it is one of those many times where he tries to make every kind of adjustments and see what sticks. Not many coaches do that for some reason, most of them just stick with their usual gameplan/lineups and become concept.

One of the other reasons why I would like to see Lebron and the rest leave is I would like to see what Spo can do AFTER the big 3. To see what he is really capable of.

FOXHOUND
06-16-2014, 03:55 AM
Spo has done a terrific job but a lot of his work will probably be chalked up to the team talent by most fans. The pace and space system he created is revolutionary, and he did this on the fly in the middle of a postseason after Bosh got hurt.

He has gotten all of these stars and veterans to completely buy in and take whatever role that is asked of them. He has dealt with incredible scrutiny over the years because he's an easy scapegoat, yet all the credit when they accomplish feats seem to go right to LeBron as if the coach has no impact.

He has gotten good veterans to sit as reserves all year without complaining. He has had these reserves ready and seems to have an uncanny ability to throw them in at the toughest times and they flourish.

He's an excellent coach and has shown a lot for his age and experience. Getting out coached by Pop this year is no insult by any means, and remember that he held his own last year as they went back and forth with chess move lineup adjustments throughout the series. And really, did he get out coached? What more could he have done with this roster? Their greatest strength became their greatest weakness this series.

If they're not able to dominated and overwhelm teams with their talent and system than all of their weaknesses come to the forefront and bury them. This year just featured their thinnest roster in their 4 years, as well as the worst of that flip around beat down.