PDA

View Full Version : The Spurs Are Putting on a Hoops Clinic Rarely Seen...

Tony_Starks
06-13-2014, 11:32 PM
There has been a lot of focus on the obvious sports talk drama but let's not disrespect this Spurs team. What they are doing has to be a joy to watch for basketball purist.

When you look at the way the Spurs draft, mold disregarded FA's from the junk pile into their system, and balance out old and young players it is really the gold standard. This isn't just a matter of getting lucky with Duncan, they've consistently put a winning product around him and preserved his career.

I sincerely hope they never win another chip in my lifetime but yet and still I hate seeing so called neutral fans miss what's really going on just because the other team is underachieving.

The Spurs deserve their props.

SPURSFAN1
06-13-2014, 11:38 PM
There has been a lot of focus on the obvious sports talk drama but let's not disrespect this Spurs team. What they are doing has to be a joy to watch for basketball purist.

When you look at the way the Spurs draft, mold disregarded FA's from the junk pile into their system, and balance out old and young players it is really the gold standard. This isn't just a matter of getting lucky with Duncan, they've consistently put a winning product around him and preserved his career.

I sincerely hope they never win another chip in my lifetime but yet and still I hate seeing so called neutral fans miss what's really going on just because the other team is underachieving.

:clap:

IndyRealist
06-14-2014, 08:58 AM

QFT. I mean, 3 years ago who thought Boris Diaw would still be in the league, let alone starting in the Finals?

effen5
06-14-2014, 09:18 AM
I hope people start giving the Spurs more respect....spurs has easily been the best franchise in the last 15 years....and honestly it started with the admiral, pop, and now Duncan.

I was a huge Steve Kerr fan growing up so when the bulls dynasty broke up and Kerr ended on the spurs, I ended up becoming a huge spurs fan while the bulls struggled in the early 00s. So I know how incredible they have been almost the last two decades.

eso
06-14-2014, 09:30 AM
Starts and ends with PoP

KnicksorBust
06-14-2014, 09:32 AM
:laugh: How many more threads like this do we need?

FOXHOUND
06-14-2014, 09:34 AM
What, you didn't like Jason Whitlock's article on ESPN where he tried to blame the blowouts on Carmelo Anthony? :p

hidalgo
06-14-2014, 11:08 AM
the Spurs are awesome. so fun to watch. the ball movement (with real defense unlike PHX 05-7, but their ball movement was great), TD maybe #5 best player all time

Deception
06-14-2014, 01:53 PM
Pop is the biggest reason, he's been able to utilize each player for their strengths to mask their weaknesses, he's also very well respected and many players will play their heart out for a coach like that.

AIRMAR72
06-14-2014, 02:22 PM

The Spurs deserve their props.thats exactly what the great ones do THEY work with the unit they have around them making everyone better

mngopher35
06-14-2014, 02:29 PM
Spurs have been playing amazing. They have been great these last 3 years but this time they are just on fire. So fun to watch a team that passes the ball like them.

SanAntonioSpurs23
06-14-2014, 02:58 PM
All this Spurs love is weird to me. It's crazy how you can go from being one of the most hated teams in the NBA, to one of the most respected teams. All that changed with the big three still being the main core.I thought we were old, boring dirty floppers. :lol:

Goose17
06-14-2014, 03:18 PM
All this Spurs love is weird to me. It's crazy how you can go from being one of the most hated teams in the NBA, to one of the most respected teams. All that changed with the big three still being the main core.I thought we were old, boring dirty floppers. :lol:

The most hated? Since when? I would have said they are the most respected team in the entire league and have been for years now. The only people I see hating on them are fans of rivals (Houston, Dallas, OKC, LAL).

Miami are hands down the most hated team in the league.

torocan
06-14-2014, 03:19 PM

Longevity helps a LOT.

Lots of teams becoming good/contenders every year. And teams that are dominant tend to get a negative reaction initially.

Those that sustain it eventually gain grudging respect. Those that do it for VERY long periods with the SAME players like the Spurs are in a class of their own.

As fans, we all like to think our favorite players are going to stay with our team forever and retire with a statue in front of the arena ala Bird and Magic. Unfortunately, it really doesn't happen very often. Just staying and not chasing the rings/money automatically raises a players' stature in most fans' eyes.

TD/Parker/Manu sticking together for so long and all taking HUGE pay cuts in a small market where the endorsement/glitz isn't like LA/NY makes them likable. It just tells you that they're doing it 100% for the right reasons -- ie, the Team and not just endorsements or the paychecks.

Toss in that Pops is universally respected, is 100% focused on basketball (so much that he hates event talking to the media) and holds everyone accountable from TD to the 15th man and it's really hard not to like what the Spurs represent especially with the way their offense has become a fundamental passing game (sorely missing from the modern NBA).

And Manu is still a flopper (and annoys a lot of people), however people find it less egregious than when "superstars" flop. I know it doesn't make a lot of sense, but I guess it's kind of the "unnecessary" thing. When most players flop, you don't like it but you understand why they feel they need to do it -- ie, they feel that they need the edge. When a "superstar" flops, it just seems like a sign of weakness.

I guess the best way to put it is like this... if my D2 friend is guarding a D1 player that's clearly better and he flops, I don't like it but I kind of understand why. He's up against a better player and just doesn't want to be embarrassed. However, if my D1 friend is guarding a D2 player and flops, I say "WTH? You're BETTER than that guy, just man up and beat his butt."

In other words, the older (and slower) that Manu gets, the less I get annoyed by his "flopping". Double-standard? Maybe. However, the world is filled with those isn't it?

So, get used to it.

The Spurs are now the gold standard for Ownership, Management, Coaching and even Team oriented players and play style. As a long-time fan of the Game of basketball I just can't help myself from loving and respecting it.

tredigs
06-14-2014, 03:20 PM

Never met a person who "hated" the Spurs. Indifferent and thought they were boring was the running theme. With their new style of open 3pt shooting offense and higher level of success lately that has shifted, though.

chitownbulls
06-14-2014, 03:29 PM
I think people still assumed this was the Spurs team that played Detroit in the finals all those years back. It wasn't until they started man handling every team in the playoffs where more people realized they are the gold standard.

Tony_Starks
06-14-2014, 07:53 PM

Speaking from a Laker fan perspective I don't think any of us ever hated the Spurs. Bruce Bowen maybe, but never the actual team.

There's always that dislike just because they're a old rival but I've always had utmost respect for their approach to the game.

SPURSFAN1
06-14-2014, 08:30 PM
Speaking from a Laker fan perspective I don't think any of us ever hated the Spurs. Bruce Bowen maybe, but never the actual team.

There's always that dislike just because they're a old rival but I've always had utmost respect for their approach to the game.

Derek fisher is the most hated man in SA. Ring chasing dirt bag.

IgglesFanInCO
06-14-2014, 09:06 PM
Timmy D is my favorite non-nugget of all time and I think Pop deserves GOAT talk. When all my friends who are much more into college hoops than pros complain about how the pros dont play the game the right way I get them to watch the spurs with me so that they can see theres still hope.

kdspurman
06-14-2014, 10:09 PM
Never met a person who "hated" the Spurs. Indifferent and thought they were boring was the running theme. With their new style of open 3pt shooting offense and higher level of success lately that has shifted, though.

I'm guessing you don't know any Suns fans. :)

NBA_Starter
06-14-2014, 10:42 PM
It is very impressive, I thought they may win but in 7.