PDA

View Full Version : How can Miami counterattack San Antonio's offense?

PurpleLynch
06-13-2014, 11:04 AM
Premise:Miami is on the verge of losing the Finals.San Antonio's ball movement is just unreal and the shooting is excellent.Wade seems lost,while Bosh could be used better imo.James is playing well,it's not his fault if Miami is in this situation imo.Then...

Question:how can you stop San Antonio's offense?They have obviously the momentum on their side,but abstractally,how can you stop them on offense?
Involving more the bench? Changing starting line up?Lol,zone defense?
Feel free to post any tactics,because SA is looking like a juggernaut to me right now and pretty unguardable as a whole team. Also,their defense is working very,very well,but the athleticism of Miami could help them with that.

Please,honest or ironical if you want,but real opinions,not just tittays or assez(I like them,but,you know,I hope for a "clean" thread for once :D)

ewing
06-13-2014, 11:16 AM
I think the Heat need to use more of there defensive bnech players (this will mean losing Lewis and maybe Bosh for sig mins) and go small. Bron should be even playing the 5 at times. The Heat have no shot blocking and are getting no ball pressure. That is recipe for disaster. I wouldn't mind seeing a lineup like Haslam, Bron, Battier, Wade, Cole/Douglas see mins. I also think if no one else can disrupt SA from starting there offensive Bron has to see min on parker. I also see no need for there always to be a PG on the floor for the Heat. Lastly i think a steadty deit on Bron in the post will help them control tempo

torocan
06-13-2014, 11:19 AM
You need depth. Real depth.

The fact is, no starting 5 on the planet can defend the Spurs passing for 35+ minutes. And if you try to have the same 5 guys chasing the ball for more than 30 minutes per game when every possession is 4+ passes, they'll run out of steam, especially over a 7 game series.

The problem that Miami has is they have the depth to defend San Antonio for 48 minutes, however their offense on the bench can't keep up with the Spurs bench when they're on the floor. In other words, unless the starting 5 of the Heat run up the score massively, the Spurs will run the score out of reach every time Lebron hits the bench.

And as gifted as Lebron is... he just can't defend that much passing for 40mpg for 7 games. I don't think there's a human being on the planet that can keep up that pace AND score efficiently AND keep their mental focus for that long.

The Spurs is perfectly built to destroy top heavy teams. Just ask Portland and OKC how their starter heavy line ups worked out?

Possession by possession, game by game, the Spurs wear you down and grind you out until there's nothing left and you can do nothing but sit on the bench in shock wondering what happened.

bucketss
06-13-2014, 11:23 AM
stop playing defensive liabilities like lewis and chalmers.

ManRam
06-13-2014, 11:25 AM
They don't have the personnel to do it. The trickle down effect of no rim protection verse a team as dynamic as San Antonio is a death knell. It forces the Heat to have to help more, and that opens everything up.

QueensG_718
06-13-2014, 11:32 AM
They can't...the spurs are just too good

GrkGawdofWalkz
06-13-2014, 12:02 PM
First off Miami's own porous ball movement has led their turnovers to increase over the last few games. Norris Cole and Chalmers are becoming completely useless in the series. Wade looks lost. The Spurs have done a good job in their rotations and finding the open man. This is not Lebron's fault. He just cannot will his team to victory on his own. As a Spurs fan, it has been nice to see good basketball beat ISO 101.

bucketss
06-13-2014, 12:09 PM
this was miami last night lool they gotta step up i still got faith,.

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/10384218_10154231167190144_354538242611289650_n.jp g

PurpleLynch
06-13-2014, 06:28 PM
From what I can read right now,the majority of posters thinks that Miami is hopeless against these Spurs(Just Ewing and Bucketss have proposed something of different) Nice read anyway,I agree that Miami needs a big change of players to face SA next year(and well,I think too that Spurs this year have the upper hand).

Tony_Starks
06-13-2014, 06:41 PM
Lebron goes for 50. Lives on the block. Gets Kawhi into foul trouble and forces the Spurs to double team.

The snipers get wide open looks, Heat wins convincingly.

SPURSFAN1
06-13-2014, 06:44 PM
Remember when people said the west doesn't play defense? Hahahahaa.

Wade n Fade
06-13-2014, 06:46 PM
My problem is that the Heat keep on double teaming Boris Diaw. Why do they always switch too much onto Diaw, play help, and then Diaw kicks it open to the wide open shooter? Instead, play to their man and force Diaw to beat us or get someone to shoot w/ little to no space. It's not like the Spurs are throwing out the wildcat against the NE Pats like the Dolphins did that one game. The Spurs move the ball well, but a good D should be able to pick up common tricks. I did not expect Miami to look this bad. It's not Miami is bad, it's just the Spurs are the team that wants it more and executes better.

PurpleLynch
06-13-2014, 07:00 PM
My problem is that the Heat keep on double teaming Boris Diaw. Why do they always switch too much onto Diaw, play help, and then Diaw kicks it open to the wide open shooter? Instead, play to their man and force Diaw to beat us or get someone to shoot w/ little to no space. It's not like the Spurs are throwing out the wildcat against the NE Pats like the Dolphins did that one game. The Spurs move the ball well, but a good D should be able to pick up common tricks. I did not expect Miami to look this bad. It's not Miami is bad, it's just the Spurs are the team that wants it more and executes better.

I think it's because Miami's defense is structured like that,really aggressive and athletic,but helps one pass away too much in my opinion. Last year it worked,I think also because they were less tired,but right now,with Pop's coach philosophy at his peak and infused in his team,it's really hard.
Props to the Spurs and their fantastic way of playing basketball,but we'll see,there's Sunday's game.

PhlyHighPhilly
06-13-2014, 07:07 PM

Diaw has been shooting well this series. He is abusing Wade when he is on him.

smith&wesson
06-13-2014, 07:08 PM
by going home and practicing in the offseason. this series is a wrap.

smith&wesson
06-13-2014, 07:10 PM
Diaw has been shooting well this series. He is abusing Wade when he is on him.

why does spo have wade gaurding diaw anyway ? Diaw is a sf-pf with some size on him. wade is a 6'4 sg.. I just dont get it.

PhlyHighPhilly
06-13-2014, 07:23 PM
why does spo have wade gaurding diaw anyway ? Diaw is a sf-pf with some size on him. wade is a 6'4 sg.. I just dont get it.

Who else is going to?

beasted86
06-13-2014, 07:35 PM

I don't really understand the defensive cross-matches all series to be honest.

To answer OP:
1) Be aggressive, with relentless attacking on offense. Possibly get their primary guys in foul trouble. LeBron should have 10+ FTs.
2) Play straight up defensively position wise. No LeBron on Parker, etc. Cross matching in transition has been a problem.
3) Stop trapping on the P&R. Go under on Tony Parker. If he beats you by scoring 30 on 16+ foot jumpshots, so be it.
4) Do not double team the post with Diaw or Splitter. They are looking to pass, not score.
5) Simply put more effort out from everybody, top to bottom.

Tony_Starks
06-13-2014, 08:15 PM
Moving Wade to point and starting Ray should also seriously be considered. Your bench doesn't matter if by the time your subbing you're already down 20.

Also give all birdmans minutes to UD. He's at least a offensive threat with the J and more compatible defensively when everyone is switching.

FOXHOUND
06-13-2014, 08:27 PM
I don't really understand the defensive cross-matches all series to be honest.

To answer OP:
1) Be aggressive, with relentless attacking on offense. Possibly get their primary guys in foul trouble. LeBron should have 10+ FTs.
2) Play straight up defensively position wise. No LeBron on Parker, etc. Cross matching in transition has been a problem.
3) Stop trapping on the P&R. Go under on Tony Parker. If he beats you by scoring 30 on 16+ foot jumpshots, so be it.
4) Do not double team the post with Diaw or Splitter. They are looking to pass, not score.
5) Simply put more effort out from everybody, top to bottom.

I agree with you on all five. It's funny that they're doubling Diaw so hard, the guy is scoring 6.5 PPG in 34.5 MPG and shooting .385/.333/.500.

I also add that they have to pass much more efficiently. As a team they only have 62 assists, and 62 turnovers. LeBron and Wade each have more turnovers than assists this series.