PDA

View Full Version : Why aren't the Spurs high on top free agents' list, at least reportedly?

NetsPaint
06-12-2014, 01:36 PM
There's factors such as the Spurs loyalty to players, wanting good character guys, small market, etc., but if any star is all about winning, unless there's a league-wide memo saying they'll contact you before you contact them, wouldn't these players be expressing interest? Even Duncan at 38 is a great player looks like he has a lot left in the tank, and is in the Finals a second year in a row and the Spurs are up 2-1. Is San Antonio that boring of a place? With all that money, traveling, and girls after you it wouldn't seem like area should be much of an issue unless there's horrific weather concerns or something.

Maybe Spurs have no interest in getting LeBron, Love, etc., I dunno. A great organization that plays team ball and is consistent every year sounds like an amazing destination.

Blink
06-12-2014, 01:54 PM
Endorsements.

If Monroe leaves us I hope he goes to San Antonio.

Hellcrooner
06-12-2014, 02:10 PM
small markets, edorsements, lack of " glamour"

and AGING roster.

so, the "Young" f.a wont consider.

I could see some of the VETERAN F.a wanting to join like Pierce, Dirk, Pau.

mike_noodles
06-12-2014, 02:14 PM
Cap space is part of it. You can't just sign with a team of there's no cap space. I can't remember a time when SA had space.

kdspurman
06-12-2014, 02:16 PM
small markets, edorsements, lack of " glamour"

and AGING roster.

so, the "Young" f.a wont consider.

I could see some of the VETERAN F.a wanting to join like Pierce, Dirk, Pau.

Even when they didn't have an aging roster, it was the same thing. Miami has an aging roster too, but many people would love to go there.

I also think many of these younger players are spoiled and maybe aren't mentally strong enough to play for a guy as demanding as Pop.

SPURSFAN1
06-12-2014, 02:16 PM
Cap space is part of it. You can't just sign with a team of there's no cap space. I can't remember a time when SA had space.

We have cap space this summer.

kdspurman
06-12-2014, 02:18 PM

That should change next off-season, though it depends what they do this off-season of course. I honestly don't think it would change much even if they had cap space.

http://www.spotrac.com/cap-tracker/nba/2015/

abe_froman
06-12-2014, 02:30 PM
that plays team ball.
thats not a pro(its more of a con) for most star players

also,its san antonio.if you are a young,rich,celeb where would you want to be?
than youhave the endorsement money
and that they cant afford to give you a lot as they are paying tim,splitter,parker,ect. already

slaker619
06-12-2014, 02:56 PM
There a great teamn, but for some reason small market plus they got a dynasty going and trying to maintain it not really going after other stars

bleedprple&gold
06-12-2014, 03:13 PM

We have cap space this summer.

You will have less than $10 mil. Thats not enough to get a big name free agent. Most it will be used for your first round pick and probably to re-sign guys like Diaw and Mills.

Jarvo
06-12-2014, 05:19 PM
Endorsements.

I wanted him on The Spurs since he was coming out of College, He would be a great replacement for when Duncan retires.

KnickaBocka.44
06-12-2014, 06:00 PM
You will have less than $10 mil. Thats not enough to get a big name free agent. Most it will be used for your first round pick and probably to re-sign guys like Diaw and Mills.

That's not much less than what people seemingly think Melo will take to play in Miami, maybe Melo will take a bigger paycut to go to S.A. :rolleyes:

0nekhmer
06-12-2014, 06:09 PM
I'm sure guys do wanna play for them but SA are not willing to pay more than they can afford. Also, Isnt kawaii still on his rookie contract? If so, re signing him will be a huge deal.

bleedprple&gold
06-12-2014, 07:13 PM

That's not much less than what people seemingly think Melo will take to play in Miami, maybe Melo will take a bigger paycut to go to S.A. :rolleyes:

No then he won't get to play with his LeBuddy.

bleedprple&gold
06-12-2014, 07:14 PM
I'm sure guys do wanna play for them but SA are not willing to pay more than they can afford. Also, Isnt kawaii still on his rookie contract? If so, re signing him will be a huge deal.

Shouldn't be a problem. Duncan and/or Ginobili will probably be retired by then.

NetsPaint
06-12-2014, 07:17 PM
Whether they have cap space or not, a lot of stars have asked to be traded to teams, so even than it hasn't been a big request for a lot of free agents.

AddiX
06-12-2014, 07:29 PM
I don't think pop gives a damn about thosd kinds if guys, he likes guys he can develop under his own system.

Pop is a true teacher of the sport. I could never see him going after these stars who think there above everyone else. That stuff won't fly with him.

Pistol_Pete
06-13-2014, 01:40 AM
Because contrary to what they say, most guys don't want to "win at any cost." They want to win, but also get paid insanely. Then there are other guys that just want to be the guy, and guys that want to be in a major market, and guys that want to be in a market for business reasons. It's very rare that you get players who really will take less to win.

Out of the Miami 3, the person making the least, is Bosh with $17.5million. Ginobli makes $13M, Parker $12.5M, Duncan $9.6M. Kobe is making more than $30M. Can you see the difference there? Wanting to win is mostly talk for most guys. That want to win, but not at the cost of money or accolades.

FOXHOUND
06-13-2014, 01:48 AM
I think people are missing one thing.

It's the Spurs who don't pursue big free agents. They like to draft, develop and use cap space to keep their guys home. They only sign role players in free agency. The Spurs operate on a different level from every other franchise, and with Pop and Buford overseeing it it's gone very very well to say the least.

Kyben36
06-13-2014, 01:53 AM
There's factors such as the Spurs loyalty to players, wanting good character guys, small market, etc., but if any star is all about winning, unless there's a league-wide memo saying they'll contact you before you contact them, wouldn't these players be expressing interest? Even Duncan at 38 is a great player looks like he has a lot left in the tank, and is in the Finals a second year in a row and the Spurs are up 2-1. Is San Antonio that boring of a place? With all that money, traveling, and girls after you it wouldn't seem like area should be much of an issue unless there's horrific weather concerns or something.

Maybe Spurs have no interest in getting LeBron, Love, etc., I dunno. A great organization that plays team ball and is consistent every year sounds like an amazing destination.

they dont have money right now, clearly they might if the big 3 opt to retire, but still, even if thats the case, they wont have a coach cause i think pop is retiring too. nobody wants to go to a rebuilding franchise, even with key peices like Leonard in place.

IndyRealist
06-13-2014, 08:36 AM
Like others said, I don't remember the last time they had cap space. And aging players like Ray Allen did not want to tie themselves to an aging roster that was wrongly perceived to rely on over-the-hill players. But it's not like it turned out badly for Ray.

But also because big name free agents think they are the missing piece. They don't believe that they need a great organization, or coach, or teammates.

ewing
06-13-2014, 08:48 AM
you have to leave your ego at the door

Asik's better
06-13-2014, 08:55 AM
Spurs know what players they want and go after those players. I think a lot of players understand that and unless the spurs announce they want them, players don't bother.

JasonJohnHorn
06-13-2014, 09:04 AM
They never have cap space.

So guys have to either take the MLE or vet min. McDysse went there, and others have, but I think the Spurs are also likely to avoid picking up 'names' because they have a mind for chemistry.

Green, Leonard, Mills, Bowen and Bonner have all worked out better for the Spurs than a big name like Richard Jefferson.

Sure, they could chase after a guy like Antwan Jamison, but they'd be better off picking up a guy like Tony Allen.

I think it is a matter of money for the really good free agents, because the Spurs can't offer much, and chemistry for the ring chasers.

Given the fact that they have put themselves in a position to contend every year for the past 16 years, I'd say it's worked out pretty well for them.

force_within
06-13-2014, 10:49 AM

I can really see Monroe as a Spurs type player. His playing style and characteristic is very Spur-ish...

torocan
06-13-2014, 10:53 AM
The Spurs ask every player to sacrifice for the team from day one in many ways.

They ask them to take less money, to play fewer minutes (if you're a starter), to score fewer points (since you're expected to pass if your shot isn't wide open), to NOT do things you're bad at (like demand post touches), to work like a beast to improve your game, to do what Popovich asks during the game without question even if you disagree, and to expend maximum effort on BOTH sides of the floor no matter how many sneaker contracts you have locked up.

For all the talk about winning, there really aren't THAT many players that are willing to sacrifice THAT much. And to do that in a small market to boot? It's truly amazing what the Spurs have done year in and year out when you consider the current culture of Star worship in the NBA.

Think about your top 10 players in the NBA... how many of those players would Really do everything that the Spurs ask of them? That list is pretty darn short.

Lakerfan32
06-13-2014, 01:07 PM
Pau was rumored to want to go there. He'd be a perfect fit and probably kill next to Duncan.

Bruno
06-13-2014, 02:22 PM
ego.

ink
06-13-2014, 02:31 PM
ego.

And willingness to learn. Some of the stars in the league would be fighting career-long tendencies to "put the team on their backs" and Pop wouldn't want any part of that.

I know it may sound crazy but I would find it really interesting to see what Pop could do with Lebron. IMO Lebron is one of the few who could adapt. But Pop wouldn't want the circus that would follow him and they could never afford him due to cap limitations, as others have pointed out.

Bruno
06-13-2014, 03:20 PM
And willingness to learn. Some of the stars in the league would be fighting career-long tendencies to "put the team on their backs" and Pop wouldn't want any part of that.

I know it may sound crazy but I would find it really interesting to see what Pop could do with Lebron. IMO Lebron is one of the few who could adapt. But Pop wouldn't want the circus that would follow him and they could never afford him due to cap limitations, as others have pointed out.

I agree 100%.

Pop could have been huge for LBJ early on especially.

Bruno
06-13-2014, 03:22 PM
Pau was rumored to want to go there. He'd be a perfect fit and probably kill next to Duncan.

that'd be so beautiful.

although, don't look now- but TIAGO SPLITTER is leading the Spurs in WS/48 by a substantial margin, and is third on the team in total playoff win-shares.

Tiago gets zero love but he's had a nice playoff run.

Hellcrooner
06-13-2014, 09:24 PM
The Spurs ask every player to sacrifice for the team from day one in many ways.

They ask them to take less money, to play fewer minutes (if you're a starter), to score fewer points (since you're expected to pass if your shot isn't wide open), to NOT do things you're bad at (like demand post touches), to work like a beast to improve your game, to do what Popovich asks during the game without question even if you disagree, and to expend maximum effort on BOTH sides of the floor no matter how many sneaker contracts you have locked up.

For all the talk about winning, there really aren't THAT many players that are willing to sacrifice THAT much. And to do that in a small market to boot? It's truly amazing what the Spurs have done year in and year out when you consider the current culture of Star worship in the NBA.

Think about your top 10 players in the NBA... how many of those players would Really do everything that the Spurs ask of them? That list is pretty darn short.
seems like the best destination Pau Gasol could choose this summer.

SPURSFAN1
06-13-2014, 09:42 PM
that'd be so beautiful.

although, don't look now- but TIAGO SPLITTER is leading the Spurs in WS/48 by a substantial margin, and is third on the team in total playoff win-shares.

Tiago gets zero love but he's had a nice playoff run.

Tiago might not play a lot in the finals but he put his work in early in the mavs and blazers series.