PDA

View Full Version : Which active player is most likely to take over in a major all time stat (P, TRB, A)?

Jeffy25
06-10-2014, 12:03 AM
Considering all time points, rebounds, assists

Points - Jabbar - 38,387
Rebounds - Chamberlain - 23,924 (unlikely for anyone to catch)
Assists - Stockton - 15,806
Steals - Stockton - 3265
Blocks - Hakeem - 3830

Some of these, nobody active will catch, like Chamberlain and rebounds.

InRoseWeTrust
06-10-2014, 12:12 AM
Probably LeBron with points. Maybe Durant. I don't see anything else falling to an active player.

Jeffy25
06-10-2014, 12:17 AM
^ I could see Curry catching Allen in 3's (not that I mentioned 3's)

Kaner
06-10-2014, 04:09 AM
1.) Deandre Jordan will definitely break Artis' career fg% record when he retires

2.) Dwight breaking Gilmore's defensive rebounding record

3.) Durant's more likely then Lebron to catch Kareem.

4.) Durant passing Jordan in scoring titles.

5.) Curry passing Allen in 3s

6.) Not that I think it will happen but I hope Andre Drummond breaks at least one of Moses ORB records.

7.) Anthony Davis breaks Hakeems career block record.

These are in decending order of most likely to least likely imo

jerellh528
06-10-2014, 04:14 AM
Durant for points, but that's a long shot and I doubt anyone playing today will break those you listed.

tredigs
06-10-2014, 04:31 AM
Looking at these records always amazes me at how the two most durable players in NBA history spent their entire careers together on the same team at the same time. And both were All Stars into their late 30's. That is something I am sure will never happen again.

raiderposting
06-10-2014, 04:58 AM
Looking at these records always amazes me at how the two most durable players in NBA history spent their entire careers together on the same team at the same time. And both were All Stars into their late 30's. That is something I am sure will never happen again.

Duncan

Munkeysuit
06-10-2014, 04:59 AM
I really do not see anyone touching those particular stats...as great as Kobe was, and how much games he's played total since joining the league, even HE wont even catch Kareem so imagine what KD will have to do in order to catch him...he'll have to play till he's 44 at this rate.

tredigs
06-10-2014, 05:15 AM
Duncan

Duncan's just one man. I'm still in awe of the fact that it was both teammates at the same time is what I'm saying.

Plus, in nearly 40 combined seasons with the Jazz, Malone + Stockton only missed 33 total games. Less than 1 a year between the two, and 18 of those were from Stockton in 1 season. Duncan's durability and high level consistency is legendary in its own right, but he's missed more games than both of them combined on the Jazz in just the last 5 years for San Antonio... if that helps put their threshold in perspective.

JJ_JKidd
06-10-2014, 05:26 AM
Its easier to score points today than it was way back then. While I will not mention any player, I do believe that the points record is the easiest one to break.

PurpleLynch
06-10-2014, 06:26 AM
These records seem still unbreakable to me. Lol,actually I'm mindblowed even if I already knew this.

PurpleLynch
06-10-2014, 06:26 AM
Maybe Mcw for steals? :D

Minimal
06-10-2014, 03:40 PM
Well if LeBron scores 1522 points (only 18.5 PPG if played 82 games) in every season the next 10 years, he is gonna pass KAJ. I say he is easily gonna score 25-27 PPG atleast next 5 season, 13-14 PPG the other 5 seasons will do it for him. I think its a bit early to talk about Durant, because he is only at 14851 mark right now.

Other breakable record I say is BPG, Anthony Davis might have a shot at it, but its a long way too go.

KnicksorBust
06-10-2014, 03:43 PM
I don't think anyone will ever break either of Stockton's records. Historic longevity + perfect team + cooked books = unbreakable record.

abe_froman
06-10-2014, 03:44 PM
points is probably the most up for grabs between kd and lebron

but cant see assists,steals,rebounds,blocks being broken

tredigs
06-10-2014, 04:00 PM
I don't think anyone will ever break either of Stockton's records. Historic longevity + perfect team + cooked books = unbreakable record.

Were the road scorekeepers cooking them too? Because even if you were to take out all his home games and simply doubled his road stats, he'd still have both those records crushed.

KnicksorBust
06-10-2014, 08:28 PM
Were the road scorekeepers cooking them too? Because even if you were to take out all his home games and simply doubled his road stats, he'd still have both those records crushed.

I completely agree that Stockton would still have the assist record even if every game he played was on the road. Now I ask you do think there was any bias in his assist totals at home?

Hawkeye15
06-10-2014, 08:33 PM

haha, exactly

Hawkeye15
06-10-2014, 08:34 PM

he would still have the record, but it would be under his current total by a decent margin.

But really, the mofo never got hurt, played 82 games a year for like 15 years, and just piled up assists/steals

Tony_Starks
06-10-2014, 09:03 PM
Depends how KDs health holds up over his career. That sick jumper ain't going nowhere, if anybody could come for Kareem's record its him.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-10-2014, 09:19 PM
The only one I'd be confident in saying is that Curry will pass Ray for most threes made. I could see LeBron passing Kareem in points. If he can average at least 25 PPG for the next 5 seasons he'd have a real good shot at it. It'd come down to how much athleticism he's lost by the time he's 34 and how he does at adjusting his game as he gets older.

KnicksorBust
06-10-2014, 09:22 PM
The only one I'd be confident in saying is that Curry will pass Ray for most threes made. I could see LeBron passing Kareem in points. If he can average at least 25 PPG for the next 5 seasons he'd have a real good shot at it. It'd come down to how much athleticism he's lost by the time he's 34 and how he does at adjusting his game as he gets older.

Yeah he'll need to add a reliable 3pt shot and a post-game. Oh wait.

Kaner
06-11-2014, 01:21 AM
Is fg% considered a major all-time stat? Because can I just reiterate that DJ has that in the bag.

KnicksorBust
06-11-2014, 07:28 AM
Is fg% considered a major all-time stat? Because can I just reiterate that DJ has that in the bag.

Synergy says he only had 83 post-ups this season... Do you think the Clippers will ever use him as a real low-post option or he will always be there just for put-backs/lobs/etc. ?

JasonJohnHorn
06-11-2014, 02:40 PM
Wilt averaged 22 board per game for 14 years.... most guys would be lucky to average 11 per game for as many years. Unless somebody can post 15 a game for 20 years, that record is not going to be touched.

Stockton's steals and assists are equally untouchable.

Scoring is the only one that can be topped, and the only active players who have the potential to do it are LBJ, Kobe and KD. Kobe's chances took a huge hit when he missed most of this season. This was the year for him to rack up some points. With not legit first option (in 'Atoni's eyes at least, given the way he treated Gasol), Kobe would have had a 30+ points season. Instead he pretty much got zero.

But Kobe is only 6000 points or so behind. If he averages 24 a game over the next three years and doesn't miss many games, Kobe will pass Kareem. That doesn't sound unreasonable.

KD got a slightly later start than LBJ, but he's a better scorer, so he could make up for it IF, like Jordan, he is on a team that requires him to score around 30 a game, unlike LBJ who is on a team that requires him to facilitate more.

LBJ, if he can average 20ish until he's 40 can eclipse Kareem's number. Had Malone stayed in Utah for two more years, he likely would have topped Kareem's number, but he chose to chase a ring and then got injured and opted for retirement. That said, he could have played two more years after that injury. He was in AMAZING shape.

jerellh528
06-11-2014, 02:47 PM
Wilt averaged 22 board per game for 14 years.... most guys would be lucky to average 11 per game for as many years. Unless somebody can post 15 a game for 20 years, that record is not going to be touched.

Stockton's steals and assists are equally untouchable.

Scoring is the only one that can be topped, and the only active players who have the potential to do it are LBJ, Kobe and KD. Kobe's chances took a huge hit when he missed most of this season. This was the year for him to rack up some points. With not legit first option (in 'Atoni's eyes at least, given the way he treated Gasol), Kobe would have had a 30+ points season. Instead he pretty much got zero.

But Kobe is only 6000 points or so behind. If he averages 24 a game over the next three years and doesn't miss many games, Kobe will pass Kareem. That doesn't sound unreasonable.

KD got a slightly later start than LBJ, but he's a better scorer, so he could make up for it IF, like Jordan, he is on a team that requires him to score around 30 a game, unlike LBJ who is on a team that requires him to facilitate more.

LBJ, if he can average 20ish until he's 40 can eclipse Kareem's number. Had Malone stayed in Utah for two more years, he likely would have topped Kareem's number, but he chose to chase a ring and then got injured and opted for retirement. That said, he could have played two more years after that injury. He was in AMAZING shape.

That's it really? I haven't done the math. Damn this year hurt him then.

Jeffy25
06-11-2014, 03:06 PM
Its easier to score points today than it was way back then. While I will not mention any player, I do believe that the points record is the easiest one to break.

Well there is less shooting. But I believe Kareem will go down by someone active today

ManRam
06-11-2014, 03:06 PM

Define "back then". Surely you don't mean the 60s, 70s, 80s or 90s, right? Because teams were scoring far more points during those eras than the last couple decades. Only 7 of the highest scoring individual seasons (total points) have come in the last 20 years. And starting at some point in the 90s scoring dipped a tremendous amount.

The point volume records will be shattered...the rest? I'm far less convinced.

LeBron outpaced KD during their respective first 7 seasons in terms of points, but I still think, barring injury, KD's more likely to get there in the end.

JasonJohnHorn
06-11-2014, 03:55 PM
I completely agree that Stockton would still have the assist record even if every game he played was on the road. Now I ask you do think there was any bias in his assist totals at home?

And is there one on the road going the other way?

Who knows... some eras assists were given out a little easier than others. What can you do. Nobody is on here saying Hakeem got more blocks than he was supposed to or that Wilt was attributed with more rebounds than he actually got, so why are we even having this conversation.

Stockton was hands down the greatest play maker ever and he had a career that lasted longer than any point guard. Is there any doubt as to who this record belongs to? May he gets a 100 less assists, or 100 more over the course of his career depending on when he played, but the bottom line is he set the bar to a height that no player will ever again reach.

JasonJohnHorn
06-11-2014, 04:03 PM
Define "back then". Surely you don't mean the 60s, 70s, 80s or 90s, right? Because teams were scoring far more points during those eras than the last couple decades. Only 7 of the highest scoring individual seasons (total points) have come in the last 20 years. And starting at some point in the 90s scoring dipped a tremendous amount.

The point volume records will be shattered...the rest? I'm far less convinced.

LeBron outpaced KD during their respective first 7 seasons in terms of points, but I still think, barring injury, KD's more likely to get there in the end.

I'm not sure what the guy you are responding to meant, but if terms of wing players, driving and cutting to the basket, and getting jumpers, it IS easier to score today than 20 years ago when they had hand-checking and such.

At the same time, it was easier for low-post players to score back then because they were allowed to have more time to work the ball in the post with their back to the basket.

The rules have changes to make offense easier because the league wants to see more scoring. That is obvious. And they want to see more scoring from guys that come in soaring off the wing for a dunk in the highlight reel, or a post player rolling in off the high pick-and-roll, so they've set the rule up to dissuade post play.

Honestly, you put Jordan in the draft in 04 instead of 84, and his scoring average would go through the roof! He shot over .500 during the hand-checking era... WOW!

And it wasn't just him, guys like Dantley, Agguirre and English all shot over 500 with hand checking. Adversely, guys like Barkley and Malone might score less, but they had solid jumpers, so they'd still be perennial all-stars.

I think part of this is the lack of college.... most guys spent four years learning how to shoot and defend, and move the ball... now there is no time spent learning the craft, so we get guys straight out of highschool like Kobe and McGrady who never touch the kind of FG% that Jordan had. And coaches have to settle and let guys like Iverson lead the league in shot-per game despite shooting under 400. I mean, honestly, Iverson wouldn't have even been starting in the 80's with his FG%.

ManRam
06-11-2014, 04:07 PM
I'm not sure what the guy you are responding to meant, but if terms of wing players, driving and cutting to the basket, and getting jumpers, it IS easier to score today than 20 years ago when they had hand-checking and such.

At the same time, it was easier for low-post players to score back then because they were allowed to have more time to work the ball in the post with their back to the basket.

The rules have changes to make offense easier because the league wants to see more scoring. That is obvious. And they want to see more scoring from guys that come in soaring off the wing for a dunk in the highlight reel, or a post player rolling in off the high pick-and-roll, so they've set the rule up to dissuade post play.

Honestly, you put Jordan in the draft in 04 instead of 84, and his scoring average would go through the roof! He shot over .500 during the hand-checking era... WOW!

And it wasn't just him, guys like Dantley, Agguirre and English all shot over 500 with hand checking. Adversely, guys like Barkley and Malone might score less, but they had solid jumpers, so they'd still be perennial all-stars.

I think part of this is the lack of college.... most guys spent four years learning how to shoot and defend, and move the ball... now there is no time spent learning the craft, so we get guys straight out of highschool like Kobe and McGrady who never touch the kind of FG% that Jordan had. And coaches have to settle and let guys like Iverson lead the league in shot-per game despite shooting under 400. I mean, honestly, Iverson wouldn't have even been starting in the 80's with his FG%.

The game and defenses have evolved. Yes, hand checking isn't around...that doesn't mean everything is easier and defenses haven't continued to grow and get more refined. Most all of the great coaches have talked about how insanely evolved modern defenses are today. Pop touched on it a few weeks back. It's a continual evolution and defensive schemes are just so much more advanced than ever before. We know how to defend better than we did a year ago, and cumulatively more than we did 30 years ago. And defenders, like schemes, adapt to changes in rules. Not to mention the continual influx of increased athleticism.

I will never understand the notion that defense is some lost art.

You say a lot of stuff like they're facts. But the truth is, we don't know how anyone would do in different eras. For as much as today's guys would have to adjust to play in the 80s, players from the 80s would have to adjust to play in today's NBA. It's a two way street. The leagues are so different that it would be a moderate shock whichever way you're traveling in time.

jerellh528
06-11-2014, 04:15 PM
I think hand checking isn't even the biggest change. Big men aren't allowed to camp under the basket anymore either with the 3 second violation. So driving is also easier

KnicksorBust
06-11-2014, 04:21 PM
And is there one on the road going the other way?

Who knows... some eras assists were given out a little easier than others. What can you do. Nobody is on here saying Hakeem got more blocks than he was supposed to or that Wilt was attributed with more rebounds than he actually got, so why are we even having this conversation.

Stockton was hands down the greatest play maker ever and he had a career that lasted longer than any point guard. Is there any doubt as to who this record belongs to? May he gets a 100 less assists, or 100 more over the course of his career depending on when he played, but the bottom line is he set the bar to a height that no player will ever again reach.

First of all, the idea that rebounds and assists are comparable in terms of reliable counting statistics is completely ludicrous.

Second of all, what is wrong with identifying a bias in home production vs. road production?

JasonJohnHorn
06-11-2014, 06:47 PM
The game and defenses have evolved. Yes, hand checking isn't around...that doesn't mean everything is easier and defenses haven't continued to grow and get more refined. Most all of the great coaches have talked about how insanely evolved modern defenses are today. Pop touched on it a few weeks back. It's a continual evolution and defensive schemes are just so much more advanced than ever before. We know how to defend better than we did a year ago, and cumulatively more than we did 30 years ago. And defenders, like schemes, adapt to changes in rules. Not to mention the continual influx of increased athleticism.

I will never understand the notion that defense is some lost art.

You say a lot of stuff like they're facts. But the truth is, we don't know how anyone would do in different eras. For as much as today's guys would have to adjust to play in the 80s, players from the 80s would have to adjust to play in today's NBA. It's a two way street. The leagues are so different that it would be a moderate shock whichever way you're traveling in time.

First, I agree that defensive schemes are better now. There WERE amazing defensive schemes back then: Bad Boys and Jordan's Bulls are two great examples, and then Riley's Knicks.

As for defense being a lost art, I wouldn't suggest that at all, just that defenders were allowed to do more back then, which made them more effective. Even outside of hand-checking, if a guy had a clear path to the basket and you weren't over in fouls, foul the guy and stop the play. They get possession, you get on defense. Foul him and you are over the limit, he gets two free throws, not an easy lay up, and you get to battle for the rebound instead of it going straight to the other team. Things like that. The NBA wants those fast break points and dunks for the highlight reel and poster sales. I put Ben Wallace next to any defender back in the day. Mike Conley, Tony Allen, Tim Duncan, these guys are GREAT defenders. But defenders back in the day had more tools they were allowed to use.

As to guys in the 80's playing today.... you are right, you can't say for sure how they would perform, but I think you can agree that since most guys spent more time in college, by the time they came out, they had a better understanding of fundamentals and were more skilled in terms of shooting.

I remember watching games from back then and the shooters were just AMAZING! There are some great shooters now, but there aren't as many as there were back then. There just aren't.

I have a preference for late 80's early 90's basketball, so that is a bias I have. I like the game today, but I miss the post game and I miss the aggressive defense from teams like the Pistons Bulls and Knicks, but I think the defences on teams like the Spurs, the 03-08 Pistons, Doc's Celtics, and Thibs' Bulls are all great as well.