PDA

View Full Version : Donald Sterling changes mind and will sue the NBA again

kobe4thewinbang
06-09-2014, 11:52 PM
Jeez, what a douchebag.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24584433/donald-sterling-pulls-support-from-clippers-sale-suing-nba-again

koreancabbage
06-09-2014, 11:53 PM
seriously right? pathetic

goingfor28
06-09-2014, 11:54 PM
He is immortal

bleedprple&gold
06-09-2014, 11:56 PM
He will forget that he changed his mind tomorrow.

Vinny642
06-10-2014, 12:16 AM
This thread will last

MrfadeawayJB
06-10-2014, 12:30 AM
Yeah this **** is getting annoying

*Superman*
06-10-2014, 12:31 AM
This guy flips-flops as much as Dwight during Dwightmare.

Crackadalic
06-10-2014, 12:51 AM
He's like basegod. He never dies

KB24PG16
06-10-2014, 01:00 AM
top comment on the espn article: "Did Donald Sterling just Favre us?" :laugh2:

bringbackfredex
06-10-2014, 01:22 AM
Please, if you got secretly taped saying some dumb **** and they banned you for life, you would just bend over and take it? Doubtful.

This is going to be an interesting legal battle because I do not believe that the NBA will have the legal right to force a sale, especially given the circumstances of how the tape was acquired. They can ban him for life from day to day activities and keep him away from NBA facilities, but I do not believe they will be able to get their hands on the team if Sterling will not cooperate. What he did doesn't appear to have violated anything but the NBA morals clause, which would give the NBA the right to only act within their power. I just don't see a judge taking away something worth billions of dollars for an incident that happened away from an NBA arena that did not violate any federal or state laws. Taking away money, especially this amount of money, is something that exceeds the NBA's power regardless of how much he would profit off of selling the team.

You can want him to die all you want, but it is 100% his right to fight this. He will eventually cave in and sell, but he's going to milk this for all its worth.

abe_froman
06-10-2014, 01:25 AM
dude is senile lol

Vinny642
06-10-2014, 01:26 AM
I actually love Sterling trolling everybody, it is funny

kobe4thewinbang
06-10-2014, 01:30 AM
I mean, damn, why can't he go start up a KKK branch in Bermuda or something?

abe_froman
06-10-2014, 01:35 AM
Please, if you got secretly taped saying some dumb **** and they banned you for life, you would just bend over and take it? Doubtful.

This is going to be an interesting legal battle because I do not believe that the NBA will have the legal right to force a sale, especially given the circumstances of how the tape was acquired. They can ban him for life from day to day activities and keep him away from NBA facilities, but I do not believe they will be able to get their hands on the team if Sterling will not cooperate. What he did doesn't appear to have violated anything but the NBA morals clause, which would give the NBA the right to only act within their power. I just don't see a judge taking away something worth billions of dollars for an incident that happened away from an NBA arena that did not violate any federal or state laws. Taking away money, especially this amount of money, is something that exceeds the NBA's power regardless of how much he would profit off of selling the team.

You can want him to die all you want, but it is 100% his right to fight this. He will eventually cave in and sell, but he's going to milk this for all its worth.
1.actually they do have the right
2.how the tape was gotten only matters in criminal court ,not in matters of being kicked out of a private organization
3.its already sold,they dont have to even force the sale.

JdKing7
06-10-2014, 01:50 AM
This guy is seriously senile. It's getting worse each day. He will probably live until he'a 105.

JdKing7
06-10-2014, 01:59 AM
He should just give it up already. Take your fortune, lock yourself in your mansion and count it for the rest of your existence. He may die before he is done counting. I'd be wiping my *** with 100s.

bringbackfredex
06-10-2014, 02:01 AM
1.actually they do have the right
2.how the tape was gotten only matters in criminal court ,not in matters of being kicked out of a private organization
3.its already sold,they dont have to even force the sale.

You sir have no idea what you're talking about.

1. Under Article 13 of the NBA constitution, the owners have the right to strip a franchise from an owner with a three-fourths vote if that owner was found to be running the franchise in a way that is harmful to league interests. But given the interpretation of Article 13, the league will have to prove that Sterling had already been actively racist when running the Clippers. The tape had nothing to do with the way he was running his team, and arguably it was nothing more than a fight between him and his girlfriend.

2. It does matter when the private organization is overstepping their limitations, and how the tape was acquired has everything to do with how this case will be viewed by a judge. Again, he had a fight with his girlfriend and it had to do with another man that he saw her with. While he may have made racist remarks, this does not prove that he was actively a racist when running the Clippers.

3. He never signed off on the deal officially. Agreeing to a deal and making it official are two completely different things.

abe_froman
06-10-2014, 02:11 AM

1. Under Article 13 of the NBA constitution, the owners have the right to strip a franchise from an owner with a three-fourths vote if that owner was found to be running the franchise in a way that is harmful to league interests. But given the interpretation of Article 13, the league will have to prove that Sterling had already been actively racist when running the Clippers. The tape had nothing to do with the way he was running his team, and arguably it was nothing more than a fight between him and his girlfriend.

2. It does matter when the private organization is overstepping their limitations, and how the tape was acquired has everything to do with how this case will be viewed by a judge. Again, he had a fight with his girlfriend and it had to do with another man that he saw her with. While he may have made racist remarks, this does not prove that he was actively a racist when running the Clippers.

3. He never signed off on the deal officially. Agreeing to a deal and making it official are two completely different things.
1.it was deemed harmful as sponsorship where being pulled and players refused to play.also thats made very easy as his racist ways have been well documented over his time as owner(including the losing a lawsuit pertaining to his racist housing policies)

2.how is it overstepping their limitations?

3.he didnt have to sign off,he was ruled mentally unfit/incapacitated and duties of the trust(who owned the clippers) was transferred to his wife prior to the sale

albertajaysfan
06-10-2014, 02:20 AM

1. Sponsors pulling out seals that one. It is detrimental to the league because it hurts revenue. Seems pretty clear cut.

2. You are confusing criminal court and civil. Look no further than O.J. he was found liable for a murder he was found not guilty of committing. Civil court is a weird place. My first point holds a ton of weight in civil court. So does my next one.

3. He was found mentally unfit by two different doctors. Test which he agreed to. They don't even need him to sign off. The fact that there was language put in the contract that the family trust that owns the Clippers would have to foot the bill of any lawsuit brought against the league by him supports the idea. Think about it by suing the league he will actually get less money from the sale of Clippers. That backs up the notion that he is mentally unfit.

In terms of proving he has a track record of being a racist, well there is quite a lot. He has been sued in the past for that very thing.

Plus technically speaking he was never stripped of his team. So he can't sue over something that never happened. What is he going to claim that the NBA somehow did him financial harm? The team sold for 2 billion dollars which is almost 4 times the price of the previous record for an NBA franchise. His legal standing is really shaky and something tells me the NBA has some damn good lawyers. I came up with all of this without going to law school I bet those lawyers have way better stuff to use.

P.S. This thread topic is disgraceful. The guy may be a racist but he is still a human being.

Asik's better
06-10-2014, 02:25 AM
Please, if you got secretly taped saying some dumb **** and they banned you for life, you would just bend over and take it? Doubtful
For two billion I would

JNA17
06-10-2014, 02:27 AM
For two billion I would

^

If all it took for me to get $2 billion was to make racist remarks, get me a tape recorder and a book of all the most racist things I could ever say ever. :laugh:

Sadds The Gr8
06-10-2014, 03:06 AM
:laugh: I knew this **** would happen. His trolling is just comedy at this point

Raps18-19 Champ
06-10-2014, 04:13 AM
:shrug:

I I was rich enough, I'd probably do the same.

ThuglifeJ
06-10-2014, 04:15 AM
Honestly, sterling will win this in the courts. Simply was something he owned and the conversation was private.

Kyben36
06-10-2014, 04:26 AM
People just dont understand the law, they can not fine him for a phone call that happened outside of the nba realm, its clear what happened, he sold the team and wanted the nba to drop the fine, and he would drop the lawsuit, its going to be funny when he wins this case because the fine is not legal. the phone call and his racism have no regard to it. the phone call was a private conversation. you can not fine or fire somebody over a phone call that they had no business hearing anyway.

i hope that **** girlfrind of his gets suit as well. that ***** is the biggest bimbo on the face of the earth. directly breaking the law by recording him and leaking it. hope she burns.

but why even argue you know, when this is the country i live in.

http://www.tpnn.com/2014/05/05/youll-never-guess-what-obama-supporters-now-say-is-racist/

Munkeysuit
06-10-2014, 05:03 AM
One day Donald Sterling will be driving through Georgia and hit the city of Atlanta and his car will stall right in front of a Chick-fil-A.

PurpleLynch
06-10-2014, 06:28 AM
Lol,this situation will finish in a gunfight showdown,Django's style.

Trueblue2
06-10-2014, 06:42 AM
Just ****ing die already

Antipod
06-10-2014, 07:44 AM
Isn`t he like 1000 years old? he could die before the trial is over :D

GrumpyOldMan
06-10-2014, 07:51 AM

The league has the right and will be successful in stripping him of the franchise. He is harmful to league interests. Sponsors will continue to boycott with him as an owner. Players would more than likely protest in some way as well.
From what I understand if the matter goes to court the league wont even need the "illegally obtained" tape from the ex. They could use the interview with Anderson Cooper that Sterling volunteered to participate in. It was almost as bad.
I am pretty sure the league has a great case for stripping the team from him and I'm pretty sure the court system will as well. He should take the money and leave quietly.

xnick5757
06-10-2014, 08:30 AM
Donald Sterling's lawyer issued a statement saying that his client would continue pursuing a lawsuit against the NBA and commissioner Adam Silver.

Sterling's mental incapacity cost him the right to make decisions for his trust, which along with soon-to-be ex-wife Shelley has agreed to indemnify the NBA in any suit. So he's basically suing himself, and this is more comedy sideshow and tantrum than viable strategy as he reportedly seeks to get his lifetime ban and $2.5M fine lifted. USA Today reported that "Sterling's only recourse is to prove that a test he agreed to take and was legally binding was either rigged or inaccurate." Sources have maintained throughout the saga that the NBA has the legal high ground here, and it seems unlikely that they'll budge.

via rotoworld

:laugh:

ATX
06-10-2014, 09:13 AM
People just dont understand the law, they can not fine him for a phone call that happened outside of the nba realm, its clear what happened, he sold the team and wanted the nba to drop the fine, and he would drop the lawsuit, its going to be funny when he wins this case because the fine is not legal. the phone call and his racism have no regard to it. the phone call was a private conversation. you can not fine or fire somebody over a phone call that they had no business hearing anyway.

i hope that **** girlfrind of his gets suit as well. that ***** is the biggest bimbo on the face of the earth. directly breaking the law by recording him and leaking it. hope she burns.

http://www.tpnn.com/2014/05/05/youll-never-guess-what-obama-supporters-now-say-is-racist/

So releasing a racist rant deserves going to hell or being burned alive? Wow. Sterling deserves to lose his franchise. Period. It's a good thing that her tape was the premise for finally being able to drop the hammer on this world class douche.

bleedprple&gold
06-10-2014, 10:40 AM
Isnt the sale complete now? I read that he could still block it.

And I hope when he finally croaks nobody shows up at his funeral.

ManRam
06-10-2014, 10:47 AM
I can't really blame him for still wanting to go down fighting. It's not like he doesn't have any grounds to stand on.

But it's just such an annoyance and headache at this point. It would have been nice to just see it all go away so we could get back to basketball.

mdm692
06-10-2014, 11:10 AM
Donald Sterling's lawyer issued a statement saying that his client would continue pursuing a lawsuit against the NBA and commissioner Adam Silver.

Sterling's mental incapacity cost him the right to make decisions for his trust, which along with soon-to-be ex-wife Shelley has agreed to indemnify the NBA in any suit. So he's basically suing himself, and this is more comedy sideshow and tantrum than viable strategy as he reportedly seeks to get his lifetime ban and $2.5M fine lifted. USA Today reported that "Sterling's only recourse is to prove that a test he agreed to take and was legally binding was either rigged or inaccurate." Sources have maintained throughout the saga that the NBA has the legal high ground here, and it seems unlikely that they'll budge.

via rotoworld

This. The NBA was indemnified in the sale of the Clippers so this is a pointless law suit lol.

RaiderLakersA's
06-10-2014, 01:32 PM
Talk about clawing at relevance. Even if Sterling was somehow able to win a lawsuit against the NBA, the lifetime ban won't be reversed. He'll still be a distant pariah unable to set foot on the promised land. He really should think of other ways to spend the last days of his life. He could die before the lawsuit reaches the terminus.

NBA_Starter
06-10-2014, 02:57 PM
Does he even have a mind?

IKnowHoops
06-10-2014, 03:29 PM

So you like how Stern conducts his business, but hate how Bron conducts his. Puts things in perspective.

Pablonovi
06-10-2014, 03:45 PM
Lol,this situation will finish in a gunfight showdown,Django's style.

Hey PL,
They can throw him into the scene as one of the corpses - he's practiced the part; he's already brain-dead!

THE MTL
06-10-2014, 04:15 PM
Wow he might actually be senile.

THE MTL
06-10-2014, 04:22 PM

Why u MAD though? You should be glad u live in a country that tries to take these type of ppl out of power. But I guess ur too privileged to understand.....and what does Obama have to do with this. U still mad over the election Mitt?

Pablonovi
06-10-2014, 04:32 PM
Why u MAD though? You should be glad u live in a country that tries to take these type of ppl out of power. But I guess ur too privileged to understand.....and what does Obama have to do with this. U still mad over the election Mitt?

Hey THE MTL,
You're the only PSD "SuperSaiyan" with (a hell of a lot) less than 50,000 posts. Pretty clever there, dude!

fingerbang
06-10-2014, 04:36 PM
I don't condone his views or anything but I can't say I'm not rooting for the guy. What a ******** way to lose your franchise.

RaiderLakersA's
06-10-2014, 04:54 PM
I don't condone his views or anything but I can't say I'm not rooting for the guy. What a ******** way to lose your franchise.

Well, let's not pretend that he earned his money by upholding the golden rule. He was a racist slumlord, and before that, a litigious, predatory ambulance chaser. It's not often that karma catches up to blokes like that in their lifetime. This time it did.

Sterling may yet keep his franchise, but I can guarantee you that he has completely lost everything else that matters to a human being. In fact, it appears that he lost his soul some time ago.

fingerbang
06-10-2014, 05:03 PM
Well, let's not pretend that he earned his money by upholding the golden rule. He was a racist slumlord, and before that, a litigious, predatory ambulance chaser. It's not often that karma catches up to blokes like that in their lifetime. This time it did.

Sterling may yet keep his franchise, but I can guarantee you that he has completely lost everything else that matters to a human being. In fact, it appears that he lost his soul some time ago.

Yea, and let's not act like everyone condemning him is this perfect progressive human being. If everyone in the world had something taken away from them for having a private, not so politically correct belief, we'd all be living on the streets.

dru_562
06-10-2014, 06:38 PM
My cousin works valet in some high scale restaurant he said the other night Sterling and 2 other white guys pulled up and when he got in the SUV the song that was playing was that "these hoes ain't loyal" I personally thought its hilarious if he really was listening to that song. But he was happy he got a 20$ tip from sterling, but then again my cousin is white lol

Tony_Starks
06-10-2014, 07:13 PM
Sterling probably left his meds in his office at Staples.....the one he's no longer allowed in!

Lakers + Giants
06-10-2014, 07:27 PM
As others have said, I don't condone what Sterling said but damn I sure hope he wins, burn the Clippers to the ground, would love that. Hopefully he keeps the team so CP3 and Doc leave!

Cracka2HI!
06-10-2014, 07:44 PM
Like I said in the last thread, I don't think we need these anymore. If people want to post them whatever but the Donald Sterling trust has already sold the team and relieved the NBA of any further litigation. All he can do is sue his trust if I'm not mistaken. There are plenty of times where I post things I've heard but don't know to be true myself. I am wrong a lot of those times and it doesn't really bother me. It will bother me if I'm wrong about this.

Edit: Glad to see a couple posts that agree with mine on previous pages.

Kashmir13579
06-10-2014, 10:12 PM
lol,this situation will finish in a gunfight showdown,django's style.django!!!!!

Chrisclover
06-10-2014, 10:16 PM
He is helping the Lakers revive by turning the Clippers players away.

kobe4thewinbang
06-10-2014, 10:17 PM
The awful thing is how many more owners are just like him?

Chrisclover
06-10-2014, 10:18 PM

I am fed up with his antics. More often than not when I see articles about him on Bleacher Report, I will just skip them.

Chrisclover
06-10-2014, 10:21 PM
I mean, damn, why can't he go start up a KKK branch in Bermuda or something?

lol.
The Kingdom of Kupa Keep (KKK ) in South Park: Stick of Truth

Chrisclover
06-10-2014, 10:24 PM
He should just give it up already. Take your fortune, lock yourself in your mansion and count it for the rest of your existence. He may die before he is done counting. I'd be wiping my *** with 100s.

lol, what a happy ending for a legend!Being rich for life!

Chrisclover
06-10-2014, 10:35 PM
For two billion I would

For a billionaire at his age, money may not be the priority. He is sick and old so a ton of cash is not as appealing as for a young man, who can spend money on traveling around the world, doing cool things and changing girlfriends left and right.
He wants to defend his reputation. If he gives in, he will be laughed at forever since it is a sign of weakness to some extent. But if he continues to fight against the league, at least he feels strong.

mudvayne387
06-10-2014, 11:07 PM
Good and I hope he wins the case. This whole situation was handled wrong from day 1.

Vinny642
06-10-2014, 11:08 PM
So you like how Stern conducts his business, but hate how Bron conducts his. Puts things in perspective.

What????
Please clarify what you are asking me, before you so ignorantly come at me. Because I have NO clue what you mean.

grandsalami
06-12-2014, 07:11 PM
Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne 23h
One of the tests doctors asked Donald Sterling to perform, was to spell "world" backwards. He could not.

Pablonovi
06-12-2014, 08:35 PM
Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne 23h
One of the tests doctors asked Donald Sterling to perform, was to spell "world" backwards. He could not.

Hey grandsalami,
That's be the end of the dlrow !

RaiderLakersA's
06-13-2014, 11:48 AM
I can see it now... the NBA fans suing D. Sterling for emotional distress.

RaiderLakersA's
06-13-2014, 11:54 AM
Yea, and let's not act like everyone condemning him is this perfect progressive human being. If everyone in the world had something taken away from them for having a private, not so politically correct belief, we'd all be living on the streets.

Speak for yourself. I would be living comfortably at home in possession of all of my assets. I lack the talent for the kind of sophistry and hypocrisy that holds that it's ok to be a racist as long as you're a racist behind closed doors.

And how quickly Sterling bolsters his views by blaming the "culture" instead of the individual mindset that promotes, if not prolongs racism. Change yourself and you change the culture. It really is that simple. You're never too old to learn that the world is not flat.

Pablonovi
06-13-2014, 01:56 PM
Speak for yourself. I would be living comfortably at home in possession of all of my assets. I lack the talent for the kind of sophistry and hypocrisy that holds that it's ok to be a racist as long as you're a racist behind closed doors.

And how quickly Sterling bolsters his views by blaming the "culture" instead of the individual mindset that promotes, if not prolongs racism. Change yourself and you change the culture. It really is that simple. You're never too old to learn that the world is not flat.

Learning / Changing Requires 3 Things: Willingness, Ability & The Right Catalyst / Timing

Hey RaiderLakersA's,
1) I strongly agree with your first point re.: "sophistry and hypocrisy that holds that it's ok to be a racist as long as you're a racist behind closed doors. "

2) I strongly agree with your 2nd point re: each individual's responsibility in large part for their personal mindset including "... that promotes, if not prolongs racism."

3) I strongly DIS-agree with your 3rd point re: "Change yourself and you change the culture."
We live in a culture composed of some 300 million people. NOBODY JUST changing their self is going to change the overall culture, PERIOD. "It really is that simple" back to you.

4) I strongly agree with your 4th point re: "You're never too old to learn that the world is not flat. " Learning new stuff depends to a very large extent on 3 key factors:
a) each individual's willingness to learn/change;
b) each individual's ability to learn/change; and
c) timing/catalyst(s) - that is, IF the right catalyst comes along at the right time (WHEN a & b exist)

then the person has decent possibilities for learning / changing. Absent one or more of the three - ain't gonna happen.

FOBolous
06-13-2014, 02:03 PM

correction. the NBA did not for him to sale the team therefore it makes your whole post irrelevant.

Seahawker562
06-13-2014, 02:05 PM
I have tuned out of this whole thing. I'm just going to wait and see and not react until something is solidified. Sterling needs to give up, but he is too stubborn. Then again I cant really blame him. I wouldnt want something I owned forced away from me just because I expressed my beliefs/opinions.

FOBolous
06-13-2014, 02:06 PM

it seems like YOU don't understand the law.

FOBolous
06-13-2014, 02:06 PM

via rotoworld

:laugh: :laugh2:

MelanconMadness
06-13-2014, 02:10 PM
Man, the nba better hope the skeletons are deep in the closet, sterling isn't going down without pulling everyone with him that he can grab a hold of.

RaiderLakersA's
06-13-2014, 02:15 PM
3) I [B]strongly DIS-agree with your 3rd point re: "Change yourself and you change the culture."
We live in a culture composed of some 300 million people. NOBODY JUST changing their self is going to change the overall culture, PERIOD. "It really is that simple" back to you.

If most of the 300 million take individual stock of themselves and initiate change, yes, it can happen. Heck, it doesn't even take more than a media cycle to alter public perception and mobilize the masses. What is racism if not flawed perception? It can happen, if people want it to happen.

The reality is that people cling to prejudice because to do otherwise would strip away the straw men/women that they've created of themselves.

Maybe you're right that it takes time for individuals to find the courage to address their own shortcomings. And maybe it's easier to continue to feed the beast with lies, than to kill it outright. But let's not pretend that we didn't create that beast, and it's ours to slay in a heartbeat, if we choose.

Pablonovi
06-13-2014, 03:02 PM
If most of the 300 million take individual stock of themselves and initiate change, yes, it can happen. Heck, it doesn't even take more than a media cycle to alter public perception and mobilize the masses. What is racism if not flawed perception? It can happen, if people want it to happen.

The reality is that people cling to prejudice because to do otherwise would strip away the straw men/women that they've created of themselves.

Maybe you're right that it takes time for individuals to find the courage to address their own shortcomings. And maybe it's easier to continue to feed the beast with lies, than to kill it outright. But let's not pretend that we didn't create that beast, and it's ours to slay in a heartbeat, if we choose.

Change For A Few Is Relatively Quick & Easy; Societal-Wide Change Is Usually Infrequent & Hard

Hey RaiderLakersA's,
Perhaps I did NOT express myself well enough. It seems to me that we fundamentally agree about most everything. My only disagreement was about the dynamic of society-wide change & the speed of such change.

imo, During most times, any change in specific individuals has virtually no influence society-wide (i.e., it just doesn't happen much that "If most of the 300 million take individual stock of themselves and initiate change, yes, it can happen." Of course this and all kinds of other things are theoretically possible; i.e., not impossible.

But it is ONLY when something important throughout the society changes in a big way, that people's normal rate of change (tiny steps if any at all) changes into something that involves large enough numbers to "flip the societal switch" and result in a new society-wide view of something.

Racism: In the US, there were very long periods where there was so little change that it was imperceptible (if it even really existed). During those long periods, the few who DID change &, of those, the few who worked for society-wide change - were ineffective; because the conditions were just not right yet.

At other "moments" (like the official defeat of Slavery at the end of the Civil War; or the major-practical defeat of the hang-overs of Slavery - which happened many years later); it was a BIG CHANGE IN OBJECTIVE CONDITIONS that pushed the big change in subjective (individual and society-wide) conditions.

When you say, "its ours to slay in a heartbeat", I respond: "Yes for those individuals who are willing and able; but NO for the bulk of society UNTIL some major change forces them to 'en-masse' 'slay the best'."