PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Fisher finalizing 5 year/25 million dollar agreement to become Knicks HC

Deception
06-09-2014, 04:07 PM
ESPN reports that the New York Knicks are "widely expected" to reach a deal with Thunder guard Derek Fisher to become their next coach this week.

The New York Knicks' pursuit of Derek Fisher to be their new coach will ramp up this week and is widely expected to result in the hiring of the 17-year veteran guard, according to NBA coaching sources.

Sources told ESPN.com that new Knicks president Phil Jackson has been fully focused on Fisher since Steve Kerr unexpectedly decided to take the Golden State Warriors' job, when Jackson and essentially the whole league believed Kerr was bound for New York.

One source close to the talks said Monday that "things could take shape quickly in the early part of the week."

Not much of a shocker, after Kerr flipped to the Dubs this was most likely the Knicks best option.

mudvayne387
06-09-2014, 04:17 PM
Do you think the puppet strings attached to him will be an annoyance for the fans sitting behind the Knicks bench ?

COOLbeans
06-09-2014, 04:18 PM
Should be interesting

mnatiq
06-09-2014, 04:27 PM
wow. a player with no head coaching experience? he must be good.

DarkKnight
06-09-2014, 04:30 PM
wow. a player with no head coaching experience? he must be good.

Jason Kidd did ok

Deception
06-09-2014, 04:34 PM
I expect a deal by tomorrow morning, if not earlier. I think he gets mentored by Phil, kind if like how Spo was helped by Riley

jimm120
06-09-2014, 04:42 PM
I don't know what others in the league see, but what us Knicks fans have known for a LOOOONG while is that Phil wants someone to groom and to manipulate in the first few years. He'll be very hands on, at least at the start.

Phil himself can't be on the bench, so he's sending someone with his instructions and some knowledge of past schemes to communicate with the team.

This is one reason that Kerr might not have taken the job, aside for the money aspect. He might have wanted to leave his OWN mark, not be cosigned to being "a puppet with Phil pulling the strings".

colinskik
06-09-2014, 04:47 PM
Just get it done already. Once a coach is signed the dominoes can fall.

MrfadeawayJB
06-09-2014, 04:49 PM
Hope he surrounds himself with proven coaches

NYKnickFanatic
06-09-2014, 04:49 PM
Wasn't the same thing said about Kerr? I will believe it when it's official. Don't want to get excited for nothing.

FYL_McVeezy
06-09-2014, 04:51 PM
Hope he surrounds himself with proven coaches

Pretty sure if DFish takes the job Rambis or Cartwright, or both will be a part of his staff. Ron Harper and Rick Fox are also candidates IMO......

AddiX
06-09-2014, 04:51 PM
I've always liked fisher as a better coaching prospect than Kerr, that's for damn sure.

I think fisher will command a lot of respect from players, and people around the league. Not just because of his personality but he also is a top dog in the players union.

I don't think he's a miracle worker, but I think he's got the tools to be a good hc

Htownballa1622
06-09-2014, 04:58 PM
Great. I get to see that ***** in the league still.

Why can't ppl like him just go away?

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-09-2014, 05:00 PM

Same price Kerr went for.

cmellofan15
06-09-2014, 05:05 PM
Why pay Fisher that much? Nobody else seemed interested in him.

Gibby23
06-09-2014, 05:10 PM
He played in the NBA for like 19 years and has only made $5 mill or over 4 times. This is the largest contract he has signed. No need to keep playing for the minimum when you get about the MLE to coach.

Kaner
06-09-2014, 05:12 PM
Why pay Fisher that much? Nobody else seemed interested in him.

good point.

With Steve Kerr they had to offer him this deal because they were contending with at least TNT and Golden State. Nobody else was offering Fisher a coaching gig and he would have had a tough time making a nba team.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was to create the perception that him and Kerr were equals for the position.

ManningToTyree
06-09-2014, 05:15 PM
Why pay that? Because Dolan can afford it and there is no plan C

DarkKnight
06-09-2014, 05:16 PM
Fish is well liked around the league, and of course Jackson should help this team bring in some better talent

xxplayerxx23
06-09-2014, 05:17 PM
Lakers had interest

Laker Legend42
06-09-2014, 05:18 PM
Congratulations New York Knicks. You got a team president that no other team executive really likes and a coach that most ( if not all) players wanted out as player rep after the last collective bargaining agreement. It's going to be interesting how teams deal with the Knicks. No one gonna be in a rush to help Phil Jackson build a team so he can win another championship. We will also see how players feel about fisher. He pissed a lot of players off.

Laker Legend42
06-09-2014, 05:19 PM
Lakers had interest

So glad that ship sailed quickly.

Laker Legend42
06-09-2014, 05:21 PM
]Fish is well liked around the league[/B], and of course Jackson should help this team bring in some better talent
Not since the last CBA. That's why he was removed as player rep

Ill21
06-09-2014, 05:30 PM
im happy with Fish

DarkKnight
06-09-2014, 05:32 PM
so who's building the Lakers these days ? I mean I know half or maybe more than half hate team ownership . lol

cheetos185
06-09-2014, 05:36 PM
good point.

With Steve Kerr they had to offer him this deal because they were contending with at least TNT and Golden State. Nobody else was offering Fisher a coaching gig and he would have had a tough time making a nba team.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was to create the perception that him and Kerr were equals for the position.

Nobody was offering Kerr a HC job until Phil talked to him lol

Gibby23
06-09-2014, 05:43 PM
Time to round up Rambis and Walton and put them on the staff.

KnicksorBust
06-09-2014, 05:50 PM
Why do people care how much a coach makes? Good signing.

colinskik
06-09-2014, 05:51 PM
Congratulations New York Knicks. You got a team president that no other team executive really likes and a coach that most ( if not all) players wanted out as player rep after the last collective bargaining agreement. It's going to be interesting how teams deal with the Knicks. No one gonna be in a rush to help Phil Jackson build a team so he can win another championship. We will also see how players feel about fisher. He pissed a lot of players off.

This reeks of butthurtedness.

NYKNYGNYY
06-09-2014, 05:51 PM
Nobody was offering Kerr a HC job until Phil talked to him lol

lol true!

I like it honestly its someone phil can groom and if you think phil cant do it I think your wrong...perfect fit for phil someone who he knows and trusts and can mold in his way...and honestly I think that's the biggest thing for fish...why not go to someone who YOU know and trust that can groom YOU to be a excellent coach...

but well see how I feel come January 15

Gibby23
06-09-2014, 05:55 PM
Not a bad move. Fish is new, but next year is kind of like a throw away year for the Knicks and Fisher gets a year to learn on the job. That team will be all new after next Summer and Fisher will have a year under his belt, but will be starting over again in terms of players on the team.

NYKNYGNYY
06-09-2014, 06:01 PM
Not a bad move. Fish is new, but next year is kind of like a throw away year for the Knicks and Fisher gets a year to learn on the job. That team will be all new after next Summer and Fisher will have a year under his belt, but will be starting over again in terms of players on the team.

I agree I kinda feel like this move makes melo a goner...why would he want to return to a team that has a rookie head coach and no other players that are really worth anything...but no matter what ill always have love for melo he made the past few years interesting...

mudvayne387
06-09-2014, 06:05 PM

Jealous ?

Hawkamania
06-09-2014, 06:23 PM
I like the hire, hopefully the continuity between Fisher and Jackson will lead the Knicks in the right direction.

D-Leethal
06-09-2014, 06:26 PM
This hire maximizes the amount of influence and the number of fingerprints Phil is going to have on the team and for that it is a great hire. Synergy within the organization is extremely important.

Laker Legend42
06-09-2014, 06:28 PM
This reeks of butthurtedness.
Oh no. I didn't want Phil Jackson here in Los Angeles. I know he was a great coach but that in no way says he's going to be just as great as team president. This wil be interesting.

DODGERS&LAKERS
06-09-2014, 06:30 PM
Lakers had interest

No they didn't. Mitch said last week that they would not be going after a coach with no experience.

Laker Legend42
06-09-2014, 06:33 PM
Jealous ?
Lol not at all. It's cool that fish is getting a shot. However, no one is sure how players will react to him. They were not happy with him after the CBA was agreed to

DODGERS&LAKERS
06-09-2014, 06:34 PM
I have always thought Fish would be a head coach. Didnt know it would be this fast but he seems to have that pedigree

yungincome
06-09-2014, 06:38 PM
Knicks have scheduled press conference Tues for a "major announcement." So there you go.

-Beck

still1ballin
06-09-2014, 06:55 PM
Congrats to fish and the Knicks. Hope they have success.

Oh and....

The Knicks are back! :dance:

Lakers + Giants
06-09-2014, 06:56 PM
New York Lakers!

JWorthy42
06-09-2014, 07:09 PM
Hope Fish is successful.

blahblahyoutoo
06-09-2014, 07:12 PM
KNICKS is BACK!

DarkKnight
06-09-2014, 07:20 PM
good hire , funny how much other fans care so much <3

KnicksorBust
06-09-2014, 07:47 PM
This hire maximizes the amount of influence and the number of fingerprints Phil is going to have on the team and for that it is a great hire. Synergy within the organization is extremely important.

Spot-on here. The only thing that shouldn't be downplayed is that if he wiffed on Fisher, there would have been some legitimate egg on PJ's face. It's probably the reason why he did get overpaid. It's Dolan's money so set fire to it for all I care but it was an overpay.

PurpleLynch
06-09-2014, 07:50 PM
Interesting hire,I always respected Fisher and he can do a good job as a locker room leader,while taking directives from Phil in his first years as coach. Now they have to resolve Melo's situation and get players.

GiantsSwaGG
06-09-2014, 07:57 PM
Do the LT

:dance:

DODGERS&LAKERS
06-09-2014, 07:59 PM
Knick fans, sign and trade Pau for Chandler? Pau is made for the triangle.

KnicksorBust
06-09-2014, 08:02 PM

Depends. Can you tell me what happens with Melo? :)

DODGERS&LAKERS
06-09-2014, 08:05 PM
Depends. Can you tell me what happens with Melo? :)

Melo is staying there. He fought so hard to get there and now they are making positive moves. I don't see him leaving.

nycericanguy
06-09-2014, 08:16 PM

I'd prefer to move Tyson to DAL for a 1st and Larkin, something along those lines. But if PJ wants to win next year and retain Melo, I'd be for that deal.

KnicksorBust
06-09-2014, 08:21 PM
I'd prefer to move Tyson to DAL for a 1st and Larkin, something along those lines. But if PJ wants to win next year and retain Melo, I'd be for that deal.

Why Larkin? Reading something like this about him:

"February 1, 2014: Assigned to the Texas Legends of the D-League.

February 2, 2014: Recalled from the Texas Legends of the D-League.

February 27, 2014: Assigned to the Texas Legends of the D-League.

February 28, 2014: Recalled from the Texas Legends of the D-League.

March 1, 2014: Assigned to the Texas Legends of the D-League.

March 2, 2014: Recalled from the Texas Legends of the D-League.

March 14, 2014: Assigned to the Texas Legends of the D-League.

March 15, 2014: Recalled from the Texas Legends of the D-League."

Reeks of out of the league in 2 years.

KnicksorBust
06-09-2014, 08:26 PM
Melo is staying there. He fought so hard to get there and now they are making positive moves. I don't see him leaving.

Well thanks for the good news. :laugh: j/k

I actually have always loved Pau. He is the only non-Knick whose jersey I own. I think he has more in the tank than people realize and would be the perfect fit to help us adapt the triangle. The ONLY downside is with Melo-Gasol we will definitely have our hands tied financially and the ceiling on that team is still pretty low.

utl768
06-09-2014, 08:30 PM
this is the biggest sham going

fisher isnt the hc phil is, phil just doesnt like to travel so fisher will stand there and do everything phil tells him to do

its a great learning experience from fisher but ppl need to understand the semantics

cheetos185
06-09-2014, 08:31 PM
Jealous ?
Lol not at all. It's cool that fish is getting a shot. However, no one is sure how players will react to him. They were not happy with him after the CBA was agreed to

You mean the role player who aren't in NBA right now but allstars and superstars got nothing against him.

GiantsSwaGG
06-09-2014, 08:40 PM
I like Fish...

Hellcrooner
06-09-2014, 08:47 PM
odom check
Fisher check.

Expect knicks to pursue some or all of Pau,bynum, vujacic, farmar, Metta W piece, Ariza......etc this summer.

roshan3ai
06-09-2014, 08:55 PM

fisher isnt the hc phil is, phil just doesnt like to travel so fisher will stand there and do everything phil tells him to do

its a great learning experience from fisher but ppl need to understand the semantics

I'm trying to find the downfall to this and I can't. . . .

TheNumber37
06-09-2014, 09:10 PM
So... Fish's last run as president of the CBA will hurt him as a coach how? PLayers will played hard against his team or not hard for it?
A lot of team's have been changing ownership, GMs/President... I don't think Phil has that long a list of enemies...
Danny Ainge? Pat Riley, Vlad Prok....

Crunch Time
06-09-2014, 09:19 PM
Melo would be a good triangle player, just find a way to get Pau while keeping Chandler and they'd be on the right track...hopefully.

bleedprple&gold
06-09-2014, 09:24 PM

Kind of like what Riley did with Spoelstra? Has seemed to work out for them.

Hellcrooner
06-09-2014, 09:27 PM
Melo would be a good triangle player, just find a way to get Pau while keeping Chandler and they'd be on the right track...hopefully.

1 year mínimum on the promise of bigger deal in 2015.

I can see Phil selling that to pau.

NYKINFL
06-09-2014, 09:35 PM
1 year mínimum on the promise of bigger deal in 2015.

I can see Phil selling that to pau.

I could honestly see something along those lines happening, however; the big question is would Pau go for it?

GiantsSwaGG
06-09-2014, 09:36 PM
Melo is as good as gone. I wouldn't be surprise if he joined The heat to play with James

NYKINFL
06-09-2014, 09:38 PM
Melo is as good as gone. I wouldn't be surprise if he joined The heat to play with James

Difference of opinion, I think he stays but we'll see.

beasted86
06-09-2014, 09:39 PM
I could honestly see something along those lines happening, however; the big question is would Pau go for it?

Pau has 2 championship rings already. I can see him taking below his market value to win, but no way as low as the minimum. Full $5M MLE is probably the lowest I can see him taking. He really has nothing left to prove.

Crunch Time
06-09-2014, 09:47 PM

If Phil can convince the Triangle guys to come, Pau can sign for a little more than the vet's min.

Hellcrooner
06-09-2014, 09:50 PM
Pau has 2 championship rings already. I can see him taking below his market value to win, but no way as low as the minimum. Full $5M MLE is probably the lowest I can see him taking. He really has nothing left to prove.

can teh mle be given on a one year contract? i though it was a mínimum of 3 years contract.

and yes he has something to prove: that he is not done and that he has been terribly misused and underapreciated the last few years.

ewing
06-09-2014, 09:55 PM
given an unproven coach a monster deal to coach a team that doesn't know what there star is going to do and just had a terrible season is just the kind of thing they do.

GiantsSwaGG
06-09-2014, 09:55 PM
Who would want Pau? Dude softer than baby **** and at this point of his career his defense is on par with Amare's

GiantsSwaGG
06-09-2014, 09:57 PM
odom check
Fisher check.

Expect knicks to pursue some or all of Pau,bynum, vujacic, farmar, Metta W piece, Ariza......etc this summer.

Is Luke Walton still in the league?

Hellcrooner
06-09-2014, 10:17 PM
Is Luke Walton still in the league?

Wont even care to lift my eyebrow if/when he gets the assistant to Fisher position.

Hellcrooner
06-09-2014, 10:17 PM
Who would want Pau? Dude softer than baby **** and at this point of his career his defense is on par with Amare's

expect between 8 and 15 teams to make him offers this summer.

beasted86
06-09-2014, 10:21 PM
can teh mle be given on a one year contract? i though it was a mínimum of 3 years contract.

and yes he has something to prove: that he is not done and that he has been terribly misused and underapreciated the last few years.

Has anyone said he is done? The stats surely don't say he is done.

But yes, the MLE can be a 1yr deal, though the Knicks will only have the taxpayer $3M MLE.

JasonJohnHorn
06-09-2014, 10:23 PM
I've always liked fisher as a better coaching prospect than Kerr, that's for damn sure.

I think fisher will command a lot of respect from players, and people around the league. Not just because of his personality but he also is a top dog in the players union.

I don't think he's a miracle worker, but I think he's got the tools to be a good hc

+1

ewing
06-09-2014, 10:27 PM

i don't how either of these guys will do but i agree that fisher is respected and that is good. I just don't see why the knicks cant just hire a coach like everyone else. 25 million, ny media, unproven coach, team in crisis. The knicks like always are making a circus out of themsevles

Allphakenny1
06-09-2014, 10:49 PM
I think he will be a better coach than he was a player as he was never a great player in this league. I just feel that great players are less likely to be great coaches as they do not understand the average role player, and the average role player (Fisher) can understand and better motivate similar players. This is nothing more than a guess, but I feel that Fisher will ba a really good coach in this league.

Deception
06-09-2014, 11:22 PM
I think he will be a better coach than he was a player as he was never a great player in this league. I just feel that great players are less likely to be great coaches as they do not understand the average role player, and the average role player (Fisher) can understand and better motivate similar players. This is nothing more than a guess, but I feel that Fisher will ba a really good coach in this league.

I think that's a bold statement, he was a good player, I haven't seen enough of him to show that he can lead an entire team though.

setman2000
06-09-2014, 11:55 PM
Paying Phil Jackson $12 million/yr to hire Fisher for $5 million/yr...what a joke. At least Melo will never win a championship if he stays.

Laker Legend42
06-10-2014, 12:00 AM
You mean the role player who aren't in NBA right now but allstars and superstars got nothing against him.
Who do you think voted him out?

DarkKnight
06-10-2014, 12:10 AM
Who do you think voted him out?

jeanie Buss

DarkKnight
06-10-2014, 12:11 AM
Paying Phil Jackson $12 million/yr to hire Fisher for $5 million/yr...what a joke. At least Melo will never win a championship if he stays.
Melo is still on Denver ?

Crackadalic
06-10-2014, 12:15 AM
i don't how either of these guys will do but i agree that fisher is respected and that is good. I just don't see why the knicks cant just hire a coach like everyone else. 25 million, ny media, unproven coach, team in crisis. The knicks like always are making a circus out of themsevles

So hire a proven head coach that doesn't see Phil's vision is not a circus but hiring a coach with no experience who will be molded by Phil Jackson is a circus?

I've watch too many knick seasons and after the season we had this is near the bottom of a circus knick move

ewing
06-10-2014, 12:30 AM
So hire a proven head coach that doesn't see Phil's vision is not a circus but hiring a coach with no experience who will be molded by Phil Jackson is a circus?

I've watch too many knick seasons and after the season we had this is near the bottom of a circus knick move

Of course you hire a coach that that can work with Phil. That doesn't mean you make it seem to everyone like if you dont get a guy that never coach a game that you failed. By treating Fisher and Kerr like moby dick they leave these guy no room for error. 5 years and 25 mil for a guy that's never coached before is a knicks only move. in the NFL they are jets.

Crackadalic
06-10-2014, 12:49 AM
Of course you hire a coach that that can work with Phil. That doesn't mean you make it seem to everyone like if you dont get a guy that never coach a game that you failed. By treating Fisher and Kerr like moby dick they leave these guy no room for error. 5 years and 25 mil for a guy that's never coached before is a knicks only move. in the NFL they are jets.

Yeah but Phil pretty much stated for more then a month that he wanted to groom a coach. He's not grooming a coach with experience. That's a feud waiting to happen and I'm happy it's like that. Fisher can actually not do well next season and nobody can blame him and just go FA hunting in 2015

Allphakenny1
06-10-2014, 01:29 AM
I think that's a bold statement, he was a good player, I haven't seen enough of him to show that he can lead an entire team though.

I said I am just guessing about being able to coach. I never said he would be a great coach, but a better coach than he was a player. I guess I am leaning more on the opinion that he was not a good player, but just an average role player put in many great situations. He had very little success away from the Lakers where he had a hall of fame coach and played with hall of fame players.

Hawkamania
06-10-2014, 02:21 AM
On a side note, it seems almost certain that Rambis will be on Fisher's staff.

BallIsAll
06-10-2014, 03:50 AM
what a joke of a franchise.....

Rndy
06-10-2014, 04:13 AM
Seems like an awful lot of money for a guy who has never coached there were better candidates of coaches who have run the Triangle. But I think this has a lot more to do with Phil having a Puppet he can control something a veteran coach likely wouldn't deal with. Probably had to over pay because Fisher wasn't quite ready to retire as a player unless it was an offer he couldn't turn down.

Tell you one thing I'd try to get Jimmer and Pau on that team asap Jimmer is an ideal triangle PG and Pau is the best pinch post player in a Triangle since Pippen. Granted they are already over paying 2 PF I'd still try to get Pau have him split minutes between PF and C he'd be a real asset in teaching the Triangle.

Phenom1
06-10-2014, 04:44 AM
I like Dfish, but what's up with this newly retired players getting a hc job without experiences? I wish thats how it is in other jobs since every job now a days requires at least 1 year experience! Good signing, but overpaid for him. And no, I think Melo leaves. His going to team up with another good player since his tired carrying a team by himself.

Munkeysuit
06-10-2014, 04:55 AM
Lets point out the obvious, Fisher played and understands Phil's system...but do you guys really think Phil's going to let D Fish coach? HELL NO! D Fish will be just a puppet (like someone stated earlier) and do as Phil tells him to do, now Fish commands respect in the huddle and he's a veteran who has won multiple titles, so it won't take long for him to garner some respect from his players and other coaches, BUT he will not employ ANY of his own coaching philosophies while Phil is around, this is the EXACT same situation we got going on down in Miami.
With all that being said, I do wish him the best of luck, I have nothing personal against D Fish or the great Phil Jackson, but if anyone every thinks at any time, that D Fish is coaching this team? your on crack.

Crackadalic
06-10-2014, 05:51 AM
Lets point out the obvious, Fisher played and understands Phil's system...but do you guys really think Phil's going to let D Fish coach? HELL NO! D Fish will be just a puppet (like someone stated earlier) and do as Phil tells him to do, now Fish commands respect in the huddle and he's a veteran who has won multiple titles, so it won't take long for him to garner some respect from his players and other coaches, BUT he will not employ ANY of his own coaching philosophies while Phil is around, this is the EXACT same situation we got going on down in Miami.
With all that being said, I do wish him the best of luck, I have nothing personal against D Fish or the great Phil Jackson, but if anyone every thinks at any time, that D Fish is coaching this team? your on crack.

well... yeah lol thats the plan. It just better to have a phil guy that actually has a resume as a player with leadership qualities.

Let Phil play puppet master first few years till Fish can coach like he's a vet. See no problem with that

KnicksorBust
06-10-2014, 09:17 AM
Seems like an awful lot of money for a guy who has never coached there were better candidates of coaches who have run the Triangle. But I think this has a lot more to do with Phil having a Puppet he can control something a veteran coach likely wouldn't deal with. Probably had to over pay because Fisher wasn't quite ready to retire as a player unless it was an offer he couldn't turn down.

Tell you one thing I'd try to get Jimmer and Pau on that team asap Jimmer is an ideal triangle PG and Pau is the best pinch post player in a Triangle since Pippen. Granted they are already over paying 2 PF I'd still try to get Pau have him split minutes between PF and C he'd be a real asset in teaching the Triangle.

One of the 2-3 best posts in the thread. I actually thought of Jimmer as well because we have to get a low-cost option at PG and we need shooters. He's a career 40% shooter from 3pt and the NY lights might be just the place for him to get his game back. People love to speculate about Gasol but will he really take less money to come to NY? I don't know if I see it. Melo is the next domino that needs to fall but I am afraid that will drag out. I want to know about him before the draft.

ATX
06-10-2014, 09:36 AM
$5 Mil for a rookie HC is probably too much, but it's NY...They can afford it. The Fisher hire sets up the potential to lure Durant to the Knicks in 2016. I could be wrong about Melo here, but I think Phil trades Melo in a S&T, and free's up future cap space to bring in Durant, while adding draft picks and a young prospect or two.

GiantsSwaGG
06-10-2014, 09:42 AM
Ppl complaining about experience, :laugh: plz I rather have Fisher over Mile Brown, Mike Woodson, Mike A'ntoni any day

DarkKnight
06-10-2014, 10:02 AM

Nuggets yup

DarkKnight
06-10-2014, 10:03 AM
Ppl complaining about experience, :laugh: plz I rather have Fisher over Mile Brown, Mike Woodson, Mike A'ntoni any day

Couldn't agree more. I like Fish too

Pierzynski4Prez
06-10-2014, 10:14 AM

So for the 41 games on the road this year for NY, when its crunch time in the 4th quarter, who is drawing up plays for the Knicks? Is Phil texting those over?

It's funny how many people believe that Fisher is just a "puppet" for Phil. Phil's not going to be on the bench for a single game. Fisher is going to have to coach this team on his own. He can get support from Phil on how to run an offense, but that only goes so far.

At some point, Fisher has to create his own plays, make adjustments to what his opponent is doing, etc. Phil is not going to be able to help out with any in-game decisions that are made quickly, which is quite often in a game.

GiantsSwaGG
06-10-2014, 10:16 AM

How's Brain Shaw doing brah?

therealwd27
06-10-2014, 10:26 AM
So for the 41 games on the road this year for NY, when its crunch time in the 4th quarter, who is drawing up plays for the Knicks? Is Phil texting those over?

It's funny how many people believe that Fisher is just a "puppet" for Phil. Phil's not going to be on the bench for a single game. Fisher is going to have to coach this team on his own. He can get support from Phil on how to run an offense, but that only goes so far.

At some point, Fisher has to create his own plays, make adjustments to what his opponent is doing, etc. Phil is not going to be able to help out with any in-game decisions that are made quickly, which is quite often in a game.

This. Everyone keeps saying Spo is Rileys puppet too, I don't think that's the case. Although Riles definitely has input I believe Spo coaches this team his way, he has been with the franchise forever, he worked his way up. He is a analytic guy completely different than Riley

KnicksorBust
06-10-2014, 11:02 AM

Jason Kidd can do it but Derek Fisher can't?

Pierzynski4Prez
06-10-2014, 11:17 AM

Where did I say he can't? And that has 0 to do with Fisher, or the NY situation. I didn't say Fish was a good coach, or a bad coach. He has to prove that himself.

I'm only responding to the many people in here who assume that Phil is basically the head coach of this team. Fish is just going to do whatever Phil tells him, which during every game will be virtually impossible for that to happen. Fisher's assistants will have more input on in-game decisions than Phil will.

AddiX
06-10-2014, 12:32 PM

That's the cost of getting what you want in NY.

Who cares, its not like there's some salary cap for that stuff.

BALLER R
06-10-2014, 12:46 PM
Fisher been with Phil long enough to pick up on his coaching style. I think he'll be fine. If anything it's the Knicks roster that would be a problem not Fish.

ink
06-10-2014, 12:54 PM
Fisher been with Phil long enough to pick up on his coaching style. I think he'll be fine. If anything it's the Knicks roster that would be a problem not Fish.

Neither the roster or the inexperience are going to be easy. Phil has a huge mountain to climb no doubt about that.

Teeboy1487
06-10-2014, 12:57 PM

I agree.

astonmartin10
06-10-2014, 01:11 PM
I think Fisher will be a good coach. But we all know he is going to be the puppet. Jackson needed someone he could trust and mold.

DoMeFavors
06-10-2014, 02:40 PM
Knicks are in trouble, BIG TROUBLE.

You have Phil Jackson known as the best coach ever but he isnt coaching...
You have Lamar Odom who was good 3 years ago....
You have a rookie head coach who is supposed to convince their superstar to resign...
Phil wants to run an offense that doesnt fit anyone on that team....
Its just a bad situation that got worse, I dont see them making the playoffs again next year.

FriedTofuz
06-10-2014, 02:43 PM
Fisher is the best PG on the knicks right now.
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t1.0-9/10338751_452215934915184_8140958890493447793_n.jpg

GiantsSwaGG
06-10-2014, 02:48 PM
Fisher is the best PG on the knicks right now.
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t1.0-9/10338751_452215934915184_8140958890493447793_n.jpg

He is

Rockice_8
06-10-2014, 02:56 PM

Two different guys in different situations. Maybe Kidd can and Fisher can't who knows, not every coach works out so maybe Fisher doesn't. It took Kidd almost half the season before he figured it out. He now looks like he was worth the wait but not everyone is the same. Kidd also had a veteran roster willing to buy in for the greater good of the team. The Knicks were a mess last year with multiple big personalities that didn't seem to jive. The players need to buy in 100% and deal with Fishers mistakes. There's so much more then having a good understanding of the game.

Fisher will have the struggles of a rookie coach that Kidd did but also has a pretty bad squad that didn't mesh well on the court. Who knows maybe no expectations helps his growth but losing can wear on you. We'll have to see what the roster looks like before we can speculate I guess.

It's a solid signing I suppose for now. They needed a guy who should be respected and can implement the triangle seems to fit the criteria for the most part.

NBA_Starter
06-10-2014, 02:58 PM
It seems kind of desperate but I am sure PJ knows something the public doesn't.

DarkKnight
06-10-2014, 03:28 PM
Knicks are in trouble, BIG TROUBLE.

You have Phil Jackson known as the best coach ever but he isnt coaching...
You have Lamar Odom who was good 3 years ago....
You have a rookie head coach who is supposed to convince their superstar to resign...
Phil wants to run an offense that doesnt fit anyone on that team....
Its just a bad situation that got worse, I dont see them making the playoffs again next year.
You know this is for 2015 ? And who's that champion in your sig ? When did he win a championship , just curious ?

KnicksorBust
06-10-2014, 03:31 PM
It seems kind of desperate but I am sure PJ knows something the public doesn't.

I think the situation is pretty transparent. He's going to guide the development of this team more than any other team president. He will be more involved in coaching decisions than any other team president. The best way to create that scenario in NY is by hiring a coach that has a blank slate and is one of his disciples. I really didn't want to use the word disciple there. Sounded way too cult-like.

KnicksorBust
06-10-2014, 03:34 PM
You know this is for 2015 ? And who's that champion in your sig ? When did he win a championship , just curious ?

The only thing I disagree with is that no one on the Knicks can run the triangle and I don't see how anyone can write us off (or on) for the playoffs when we don't even know who will be on the team.

DoMeFavors
06-10-2014, 03:39 PM
The only thing I disagree with is that no one on the Knicks can run the triangle and I don't see how anyone can write us off (or on) for the playoffs when we don't even know who will be on the team.

Usually the players need to be good passers, Melo really lacks the ability to pass.
Amare I dont think ive ever seen pass in my life and thats what you have to do in that offense, and Chandler doesnt fit it one bit.

DoMeFavors
06-10-2014, 03:57 PM
No championship teams give 50 million or whatever it was to Phil Jackson who has never been a GM or President before, or 25 million to a coach who has never coached. Knicks could have got Stan Van Gundy as both President and Coach at way cheaper. Its just a disgrace to me.When it doesnt work out you know who to point the fingers at.

DarkKnight
06-10-2014, 04:02 PM
No championship teams give 50 million or whatever it was to Phil Jackson who has never been a GM or President before, or 25 million to a coach who has never coached. Knicks could have got Stan Van Gundy as both President and Coach at way cheaper. Its just a disgrace to me.When it doesnt work out you know who to point the fingers at.

Steve Kerr just got 25m for five years, and you're comparing Stan VG and Phil Jackson . Now I know you're just being silly. You still never answered my question who's that guy in your sig , the champion as you call him ?

championships
06-10-2014, 04:03 PM
How did the price tag get that high for new blood coaches?
Anyway good for Fish. Hope he does well.
He was one of my favorites during the Lakers championship runs. Fish is a great vocal leader and one of the very few guys who Kobe would listen to, I have no doubt he will make a good coach.

championships
06-10-2014, 04:13 PM
Phil isn't looking at winning the ship next season. He is building a foundation which he can build upon for sustainable success in the future.

DoMeFavors
06-10-2014, 04:22 PM
Phil isn't looking at winning the ship next season. He is building a foundation which he can build upon for sustainable success in the future.

he is so old why build a foundation of something you wont even be able to mold in 5 years when he is gone?

DoMeFavors
06-10-2014, 04:24 PM
Steve Kerr just got 25m for five years, and you're comparing Stan VG and Phil Jackson . Now I know you're just being silly. You still never answered my question who's that guy in your sig , the champion as you call him ?

yeah and warriors are a pretty bad organization as well, have been the playoffs like 3 times in 20 years. I am comparing Stan with Fisher, Phil isnt coaching so I cant compare the two.

TrueFan420
06-10-2014, 04:52 PM
yeah and warriors are a pretty bad organization as well, have been the playoffs like 3 times in 20 years. I am comparing Stan with Fisher, Phil isnt coaching so I cant compare the two.

Yea your off base on the warriors dude. They use to be a poor run franchise but since we got a new owner and management the team has been in the playoffs 2 out 3 years and has been considered a dark horse side if fully healthy.

DoMeFavors
06-10-2014, 05:01 PM
Yea your off base on the warriors dude. They use to be a poor run franchise but since we got a new owner and management the team has been in the playoffs 2 out 3 years and has been considered a dark horse side if fully healthy.

Yeah they have improved but they also fired Mark Jackson and hired Steve Kerr, Mark built something good for the Warriors and to throw it all away for Kerr surpised me. Kerr has a lot to live up to or else this move will be talked about for a while.

TrueFan420
06-10-2014, 05:47 PM
Yeah they have improved but they also fired Mark Jackson and hired Steve Kerr, Mark built something good for the Warriors and to throw it all away for Kerr surpised me. Kerr has a lot to live up to or else this move will be talked about for a while.

Mark Jackson is stupid overrated as a coach. I wasn't happy about another unproven head coach but I think we will be a better team next year. Our offense will only improve under Kerr who is looking to run a motion offense and stop all the ISO non sense that wasted our players skill sets. Defensively we will be fine as long as bogut is healthy.

DoMeFavors
06-10-2014, 05:50 PM
Mark Jackson is stupid overrated as a coach. I wasn't happy about another unproven head coach but I think we will be a better team next year. Our offense will only improve under Kerr who is looking to run a motion offense and stop all the ISO non sense that wasted our players skill sets. Defensively we will be fine as long as bogut is healthy.

So you credit the turn around and a big piece in that turn around who was credited by all the players as a great coach is fired, and suddenly you think mark is overated and stupid?

TrueFan420
06-10-2014, 06:29 PM
So you credit the turn around and a big piece in that turn around who was credited by all the players as a great coach is fired, and suddenly you think mark is overated and stupid?

Stupidly overrated not stupid. Though I question anyone's intelligence that is famous/ in the spot light and sends a dick picture to a hooker whom he's cheating on his wife with and not expect bad things to happen.

Was he a part of the turn around yes. I'm glad he came in and did a good job. But he isn't a top coach that's gonna get us to the promise land. It was time to move on. (Thunder should d the same with brooks). And for all those that say look what he's done compared to the last coaches well look at the talent he had compared to the last coaches. His first year we sucked with a bunch of d leaguers. We improve our talent and we become a playoff team. How much was our top defense mark Jackson and how much was it that we had an elite defensive center that was finally healthy and an elite perimeter defender and very good/improved defender in Klay. He's a good not great coach. Clearly he had problems with his staff and management if he wants to become a great coach he's gonna need to figure that out.

KnicksorBust
06-10-2014, 06:37 PM
he is so old why build a foundation of something you wont even be able to mold in 5 years when he is gone?

Our entire roster will have their contracts expire in the next 3 years and 95% of that money is gone next year. How can 5 years not be enough to re-build the team? :laugh:

DoMeFavors
06-10-2014, 06:39 PM
Stupidly overrated not stupid. Though I question anyone's intelligence that is famous/ in the spot light and sends a dick picture to a hooker whom he's cheating on his wife with and not expect bad things to happen.

Was he a part of the turn around yes. I'm glad he came in and did a good job. But he isn't a top coach that's gonna get us to the promise land. It was time to move on. (Thunder should d the same with brooks). And for all those that say look what he's done compared to the last coaches well look at the talent he had compared to the last coaches. His first year we sucked with a bunch of d leaguers. We improve our talent and we become a playoff team. How much was our top defense mark Jackson and how much was it that we had an elite defensive center that was finally healthy and an elite perimeter defender and very good/improved defender in Klay. He's a good not great coach. Clearly he had problems with his staff and management if he wants to become a great coach he's gonna need to figure that out.

Its time to move on ok, I can understand that but you dont fire Mark and replace him with someone like Kerr. That isnt a move a top team makes.

DoMeFavors
06-10-2014, 06:43 PM
Our entire roster will have their contracts expire in the next 3 years and 95% of that money is gone next year. How can 5 years not be enough to re-build the team? :laugh:

I didnt say it wouldnt be enough I said if you want to build a foundation with Phil it would be easier if he was younger and he can have a plan for next 10-15 years like Riley did for Miami. Phil is old and likely did this for easy pay day and is out in 5.

TrueFan420
06-10-2014, 07:18 PM
Its time to move on ok, I can understand that but you dont fire Mark and replace him with someone like Kerr. That isnt a move a top team makes.

Kerr could very well turn out to be a massive upgrade but like I said earlier I'm not a fan of another rookie head coach. SVG wanted too much power tho. They should have offered big money to JVG to take over as head coach. But one thing I know is the warriors will put the top assistants money can buy on Kerrs bench. Similar to what we did with Jackson and Malone when he was first hired.

You say top teams don't make moves like this but the Thunder would be smart to make this move. The clippers just made a similar move and got doc (yes proven but hasn't done anything without top talent). Warriors needed to do this plain and simple.

DoMeFavors
06-10-2014, 08:04 PM
Kerr could very well turn out to be a massive upgrade but like I said earlier I'm not a fan of another rookie head coach. SVG wanted too much power tho. They should have offered big money to JVG to take over as head coach. But one thing I know is the warriors will put the top assistants money can buy on Kerrs bench. Similar to what we did with Jackson and Malone when he was first hired.

You say top teams don't make moves like this but the Thunder would be smart to make this move. The clippers just made a similar move and got doc (yes proven but hasn't done anything without top talent). Warriors needed to do this plain and simple.

I just dont understand it when the entire roster of players loved Mark and replacing him with a guy who isnt even superior to Mark.

TrueFan420
06-10-2014, 08:23 PM
I just dont understand it when the entire roster of players loved Mark and replacing him with a guy who isnt even superior to Mark.

The roster loved him yes but we underperformed with Mark the past year. He clearly rubbed everyone else in the organization wrong. The players will continue to play and could very well end up respecting Kerr more. You have no clue of Mark is better than Kerr or not. Kerr did a very good job as a GM and was sought after by multiple teams whereas no one but us would give mark a job with zero experience and few were teams were interested him now. And the ones that did have interest were bad teams as the better ones had no interest. Even the Knicks didn't want him. Kerr is a questionmark at the moment but I fully believe he will end up the better of the two.

Pierzynski4Prez
06-10-2014, 08:56 PM

To be honest, just about every team in the league will have nearly their entire roster expire in the next 3 years. Except most teams don't lack draft picks like the knicks. He has his work cut out for him.

KnicksorBust
06-10-2014, 09:37 PM

To be honest, just about every team in the league will have nearly their entire roster expire in the next 3 years. Except most teams don't lack draft picks like the knicks. He has his work cut out for him.

I completely agree he has his work cut out for him. I just disagree that 5 years isnt enough for Phil to mold the franchise. Just look at the complete overhaul we went through under Donnie Walsh.

THE MTL
06-10-2014, 09:53 PM

I have no idea how you have a valid argument against Jackson. Your team IMPROVED every season under Jackson; everything he did was right. And you took a fully loaded Clippers team to its heels without your starting center and your starting PF wasnt healthy

Pierzynski4Prez
06-10-2014, 10:38 PM

I completely agree he has his work cut out for him. I just disagree that 5 years isnt enough for Phil to mold the franchise. Just look at the complete overhaul we went through under Donnie Walsh.

Yep. 5 is exaggerating quite a bit. Coming from DMF, he probably felt he was being generous too.

It is at least another year of struggles though given the state of the roster with or without Melo, followed by a probable year of gelling a new team together. They'll likely make the postseason given the weakness of the conference, but it will be at least 2-3 years before they have a shot at being a legit title threat.

BallIsAll
06-11-2014, 09:59 PM
How's Brain Shaw doing brah?

You guys couldn't make the playoffs with melo in your team. Brian Shaw did great with a team missing 2 starters all season and 2 more missing a good amount of games.