PDA

View Full Version : Calapari turns down Cavs offer of 7 years 60 million

spreadeagle
06-09-2014, 02:58 PM
Cavaliers’ owner Dan Gilbert isn’t afraid to make bold moves or spend money on his team. Whether he does either of those things wisely is up for debate, but he will be aggressive.

And he was very aggressive going after Kentucky’s John Calipari to be the next Cavalier’s coach, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports (with Brett Dawson of Rivals).

Before finalizing a contract extension with the University of Kentucky late last week, John Calipari had gone deep in discussions with the Cleveland Cavaliers on a seven-year, $60 million-plus contract to become president and coach, sources told Yahoo Sports….

Gilbert and Calipari had discussed a package in the range of $8 million-plus a year, sources said, and it wasn’t until midweek that Calipari finally rejected Cleveland and fully committed to his seven-year, $52 million extension at Kentucky.

That would have given Calipari the same power and control that Doc Rivers has with the Clippers and Stan Van Gundy has with the Pistons — but Calipari would have made more per year than either of them.

Cleveland has some interesting pieces. They have Kyrie Irving (up for an extension to his rookie contract this summer) and they have the No. 1 overall pick in this draft (expected to be Andrew Wiggins or Joel Embiid). New GM David Griffin will have to dig out of a series of reaches from previous drafts that have not panned out as well (Dion Waiters, Anthony Bennett) but if the hardest part of assembling a team is getting the All-Star cornerstones the Cavaliers have that part.

Calipari was the coach and president of the New Jersey Nets for three seasons in the 1990s but was fired. http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/09/report-john-calipari-turned-down-60-million-offer-from-cavaliers-to-stay-at-kentucky/

*Superman*
06-09-2014, 03:00 PM
Damn, that's a butt-load of money to turn down.

ManRam
06-09-2014, 03:12 PM
Jesus Christ, Cleveland.

That would have made him the highest paid coach in all of American sports, I believe.

abe_froman
06-09-2014, 03:20 PM
good for both sides that it didnt happen.thats way too much money,years and power to be handing over to calipari;and the difference between the cavs deal and his new uk deal is only 8mil,but he gets to continue to treated as a god there and gets to continue to ride top recruits without actually coaching

GameSeven
06-09-2014, 03:29 PM
That's a lot of money to turn down. I wonder what the reasoning behind Calapari turning down this offer.

COOLbeans
06-09-2014, 03:35 PM
That's a lot of money to turn down. I wonder what the reasoning behind Calapari turning down this offer.

Less pressure in college sports

ManRam
06-09-2014, 03:36 PM

7 years 52 million at Kentucky. If he likes it there it's not like he's turning down too much money to stay. That's a tad over a million a year, which isn't chump change, but yeah...he clearly enjoys it at Kentucky and he's always going to be set up for success there.

KnicksorBust
06-09-2014, 03:37 PM
I think Calapari is such a chicken. The pros is where become a legend. The Cavs have plenty of assets. Instead he is just staying where its safe and he can continue to get all the best one and done players in college.

abe_froman
06-09-2014, 03:41 PM

the money is fairly close and there is a great chance of failure and having the fanbase/media/front office turning on him,at uk he's a god/above criticism and always has a pipeline of top blue chippers every year.its the same reason why coach k never left eventhough he was pursued heavily by nba teams and donavan backed out of the magic deal

Deception
06-09-2014, 03:47 PM
NBA coaching sources have told ESPN.com's Marc Stein that the Cleveland Cavaliers' recent pitch to Kentucky coach John Calipari was actually a 10-year offer worth nearly $80 million and included the role of coach and team president.

lolcavs

ManRam
06-09-2014, 03:48 PM
I think Calapari is such a chicken. The pros is where become a legend. The Cavs have plenty of assets. Instead he is just staying where its safe and he can continue to get all the best one and done players in college.

Ehhh...I think that's a reach.

Is Donovan a chicken? Coach K? Roy Williams? Izzo? No. They just all like what they have. Who says they have to take the challenge? Their careers certainly already speak for themselves.

Perhaps they just really like working with college kids? Perhaps they really like the recruiting aspect...or the mentor aspect? The NBA is a whole different beast, with a lot of cons to it. I don't think it's cowardice. If you have a job you like that's paying you a ton and you're set up for long term success, why leave? It's not a game, it's his profession. Do what makes you most happy.

And college coaches absolutely can become legends. Wooden, Knight, Rupp, Coach K, Smith etc. College coaches get A LOT of credit, attention and lore.

D-Leethal
06-09-2014, 04:49 PM

Is Donovan a chicken? Coach K? Roy Williams? Izzo? No. They just all like what they have. Who says they have to take the challenge? Their careers certainly already speak for themselves.

Perhaps they just really like working with college kids? Perhaps they really like the recruiting aspect...or the mentor aspect? The NBA is a whole different beast, with a lot of cons to it. I don't think it's cowardice. If you have a job you like that's paying you a ton and you're set up for long term success, why leave? It's not a game, it's his profession. Do what makes you most happy.

And college coaches absolutely can become legends. Wooden, Knight, Rupp, Coach K, Smith etc. College coaches get A LOT of credit, attention and lore.

Agreed. The Calipari legacy/brand will be much better continuing to do work in KY than it would be to coach one of the ugliest franchises in all of sports where winning is a major long shot for one reason only - nobody wants to play there.

Coach K is one of the most highly regarded coaches in basketball. Sticking to the college ranks isn't a knock on anyones legacy. I mean Dean Smith, John Wooden, Coach K, Calhoun, Izzo, Boehim and those guys are regarded more highly in the NBA community that 90% of the coaches who have ever graced the NBA sidelines.

MrfadeawayJB
06-09-2014, 04:51 PM
Cal is in a great situation at Kentucky. They won't get rid of him anytime soon and I don't think the man pays for a meal in the state of Kentucky

tredigs
06-09-2014, 05:55 PM

Thank you for saving me the time on that ridiculous post.

*Silver&Black*
06-09-2014, 06:02 PM

Winning championships on a top historical team, or join the Cavs?

KnicksorBust
06-09-2014, 06:20 PM

Thats a load of bs. If you like what you have then why go into "deep discussions" with the Cavs in the first place. They gave him the cash, the power, and the opportunity and he got scared off he would fail at the pro game.

NYKNYGNYY
06-09-2014, 06:28 PM
you know your a poorly run franchise when you've had the number 1 pick 2 years in a row and 3/4 and have an up and coming star in kyrie irving when you cant get a coach offering more then 60 millions...just saw it could have been 10 years 80 million

GameSeven
06-09-2014, 06:34 PM
Winning championships on a top historical team, or join the Cavs?

That was the only reason I can think of.

Avenged
06-09-2014, 06:37 PM
**** load of money and years but Cleveland is career suicide.

tredigs
06-09-2014, 06:57 PM
Thats a load of bs. If you like what you have then why go into "deep discussions" with the Cavs in the first place. They gave him the cash, the power, and the opportunity and he got scared off he would fail at the pro game.

You have no clue as to what his motives were - and I'm sure many would contest that he was simply using Cleveland as leverage in his own negotiation with Kentucky. He has cash, power and opportunity at Kentucky as well, and he is afforded a shorter season with less travel where he doesn't have to live in Cleveland. And as Manram mentioned, there is a long history of many of the most respected coaches in basketball that never left college. Your misguided anger here is pretty hilarious, to be honest.

WITZ
06-09-2014, 07:10 PM
You have no clue as to what his motives were - and I'm sure many would contest that he was simply using Cleveland as leverage in his own negotiation with Kentucky. He has cash, power and opportunity at Kentucky as well, and he is afforded a shorter season with less travel where he doesn't have to live in Cleveland. And as Manram mentioned, there is a long history of many of the most respected coaches in basketball that never left college. Your misguided anger here is pretty hilarious, to be honest.

False. according to Woj " Calipari had $52M extension back in April at Kentucky. He never needed to use Cavs as leverage - and didn't. He strongly considered job."

KnicksorBust
06-09-2014, 07:39 PM

False. according to Woj " Calipari had $52M extension back in April at Kentucky. He never needed to use Cavs as leverage - and didn't. He strongly considered job."

Exactly. So why go through "deep negotiations" and then back out? He chickened out.

KnicksorBust
06-09-2014, 07:44 PM
Btw my "misguided anger" lasted all of the 5 seconds it took to type "chickened out" and click post quick reply but feel free to keep baiting me. :) Maybe you will the first person in 8 years to get me banned. I doubt it though.

I wonder who they will target next.

WITZ
06-09-2014, 08:05 PM
Btw my "misguided anger" lasted all of the 5 seconds it took to type "chickened out" and click post quick reply but feel free to keep baiting me. :) Maybe you will the first person in 8 years to get me banned. I doubt it though.

I wonder who they will target next.

Alvin Gentry and Tyrone Lue are having 2nd interviews sometime this week. Tweet I saw earlier was Donovan hasn't closed the door completely but chances are real slim.

KnicksorBust
06-09-2014, 08:12 PM
Alvin Gentry and Tyrone Lue are having 2nd interviews sometime this week. Tweet I saw earlier was Donovan hasn't closed the door completely but chances are real slim.

That'd be interesting.

Arch Stanton
06-09-2014, 08:36 PM
Here's a good interview regarding the Gilbert situation by Jason Lloyd from earlier today on BullandFox. I think the Cleveland fans will start to turn on Gilbert with his meddling

Here's Jason Lloyd's interview: http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2014/0...knew-about-it/

Arch Stanton
06-09-2014, 08:39 PM
@WFNYScott: John Calipari Offered Cavaliers $20 Million To Leave Him Alone (via @OnionSports) http://t.co/gRjuYqQeJw http://t.co/2Ph1yAjBfB

beasted86
06-09-2014, 08:40 PM
Jesus Christ, Cleveland.

That would have made him the highest paid coach in all of American sports, I believe.
Crazy as it seems, I think he would be the one guy who could turn that mess around.

I think players would genuinely want to play for Calipari and get drafted by the Cavs.

They will never be a free agent draw, but I think he is the one guy who would properly allow them to build through the draft like OKC. He's clearly a coach that young players respond well to, and that's the first step in building a draft heavy team.

Jeffy25
06-09-2014, 11:00 PM

He's happy in UK?

Raps18-19 Champ
06-09-2014, 11:03 PM
His job is secure in Kentucky. Not with the Cavs.

Crackadalic
06-10-2014, 12:21 AM
Lebron left the cavs because it's poorly run

Top 5 draft picks last few years and can't make the playoffs

Most sought out college coach turn down the gig for less money in college

It's gonna be a long process with this franchise

PurpleLynch
06-10-2014, 06:55 AM
Right now I just think Cavs need a reaaaaaaaaaally good player in the draft.The situation is collapsing in Cleveland,thanks to that idiot called Gilbert.

KnicksorBust
06-10-2014, 11:10 AM
Right now I just think Cavs need a reaaaaaaaaaally good player in the draft.The situation is collapsing in Cleveland,thanks to that idiot called Gilbert.

Getting the #1 pick might help...

beasted86
06-10-2014, 01:07 PM
Getting the #1 pick might help...

You're right. That worked out great with Anthony Bennett.

astonmartin10
06-10-2014, 01:10 PM
Lol Cavs.

I never thought for one second Calipari was going to leave. He has it good at KY. Money, control, 5 star recruits and now he has the extension.

ManRam
06-10-2014, 01:18 PM
Exactly. So why go through "deep negotiations" and then back out? He chickened out.

Maybe he was interested? It's not like "interest" has to be an all or nothing thing. You can be "interested" in something and not undeniably want it. Maybe he just wanted his ego stroked. He legitimately could have been torn. Like Donovan was. Like many, many, many others have been. He negotiated with Cleveland, decided it wasn't what he wanted most, and turned it down. So be it.

The "chickened out" thing you keep throwing around just seems like some stupid 3rd grade schoolyard mantra. Why does he have to make the leap to the pros? Why does he have to prove that he can? Why does he have to continually try new things? It's like you want him to prove something to you. That's just silly. If he's happy where he is, well, there's no reason not to stay. It's his profession, and like anyone else would, he's gotta do what's best for him.

NBA_Starter
06-10-2014, 02:56 PM
He is a smart man, he was a failure in the league before so why go back when this college thing is not such a bad gig.

KnicksorBust
06-10-2014, 03:04 PM
You're right. That worked out great with Anthony Bennett.

So it'd be better for them if they got a worse pick? You lose me there.

Raidaz4Life
06-10-2014, 03:12 PM
So it'd be better for them if they got a worse pick? You lose me there.

Maybe the Cavs suffer a mental breakdown from too many choices :shrug:

KnicksorBust
06-10-2014, 03:13 PM
Maybe he was interested? It's not like "interest" has to be an all or nothing thing. You can be "interested" in something and not undeniably want it. Maybe he just wanted his ego stroked. He legitimately could have been torn. Like Donovan was. Like many, many, many others have been. He negotiated with Cleveland, decided it wasn't what he wanted most, and turned it down. So be it.

The "chickened out" thing you keep throwing around just seems like some stupid 3rd grade schoolyard mantra. Why does he have to make the leap to the pros? Why does he have to prove that he can? Why does he have to continually try new things? It's like you want him to prove something to you. That's just silly. If he's happy where he is, well, there's no reason not to stay. It's his profession, and like anyone else would, he's gotta do what's best for him.

Everyone is saying things that should make sense. "Kentucky is safer." "He likes it there." "He's happy where he is." "He has nothing to prove." All of these things are logical. The only discrepancy arises when you realize that he got into deep negotiations with the Cavs and there were offers on the table. Offers that included leadership in the franchise beyond coaching such as personnel decisions. The money was superior in the NBA and his power would have been equal to any coach in professional sports. The only logical reason I can think of is that he was afraid to coach in the NBA and fail. But again, that's just my 3rd grade mind at work. :)

KnicksorBust
06-10-2014, 03:16 PM
Maybe the Cavs suffer a mental breakdown from too many choices :shrug:

Can you imagine if the clock ran out of time like with the Vikings a while back?

NBA_Starter
06-10-2014, 03:23 PM
Sim the Cavs pick LMAO.

tredigs
06-10-2014, 03:34 PM
Everyone is saying things that should make sense. "Kentucky is safer." "He likes it there." "He's happy where he is." "He has nothing to prove." All of these things are logical. The only discrepancy arises when you realize that he got into deep negotiations with the Cavs and there were offers on the table. Offers that included leadership in the franchise beyond coaching such as personnel decisions. The money was superior in the NBA and his power would have been equal to any coach in professional sports. The only logical reason I can think of is that he was afraid to coach in the NBA and fail. But again, that's just my 3rd grade mind at work. :)
Hahah well, yeah. This is the real world, where a head coach at Kentucky holds massive power/influence and undoubtedly a higher pressure to succeed at the storied championship powerhouse that is Kentucky over the 0 championship having Cleveland Cavaliers. It's also not located in, y'know... Cleveland.

In short, you have exactly no clue what his motives are, but yet you blather on and call him a "chicken" like the aforementioned 3rd grader mind-state you have.

KnicksorBust
06-10-2014, 03:38 PM
Hahah well, yeah. This is the real world, where a head coach at Kentucky holds massive power/influence and undoubtedly a higher pressure to succeed at the storied championship powerhouse that is Kentucky over the 0 championship having Cleveland Cavaliers. It's also not located in, y'know... Cleveland.

In short, you have exactly no clue what his motives are, but yet you blather on and call him a "chicken" like the aforementioned 3rd grader mind-state you have.

You have no clue what his motives are either but yet continue to bait me about my opinion. :) I've yet to see anyone give a convincing reason why he would go into deep negotiations and then back out. If he was interested and they gave him everything then why wouldn't he accept?

tredigs
06-10-2014, 04:33 PM
You have no clue what his motives are either but yet continue to bait me about my opinion. :) I've yet to see anyone give a convincing reason why he would go into deep negotiations and then back out. If he was interested and they gave him everything then why wouldn't he accept?

The difference is that I am not pretending to know his motives for staying at Kentucky (besides the obvious draws that the storied program and his influence there brings), and it probably makes it easier for me to understand as it comes off as easily the better life choice than a Cavs coaching/Pres job.

For all we know it was a lot of, "no, no, no's" from Calipari and his litmus to leave Kentucky would've been 10 years 100 million + part ownership. Point is, you have no clue what you're talking about as it pertains to their negotiations and neither do I, I'm just not dumb enough to insult him on account of it. Moving on.

Raidaz4Life
06-10-2014, 04:38 PM
Can you imagine if the clock ran out of time like with the Vikings a while back?

I feel like that would be the exclamation point on the story book franchise known as the Cleveland Cavaliers.

KnicksorBust
06-10-2014, 06:47 PM
The difference is that I am not pretending to know his motives for staying at Kentucky (besides the obvious draws that the storied program and his influence there brings), and it probably makes it easier for me to understand as it comes off as easily the better life choice than a Cavs coaching/Pres job.

For all we know it was a lot of, "no, no, no's" from Calipari and his litmus to leave Kentucky would've been 10 years 100 million + part ownership. Point is, you have no clue what you're talking about as it pertains to their negotiations and neither do I, I'm just not dumb enough to insult him on account of it. Moving on.

Yeah you didn't speculate at all... :) Just the following 8 times...

he was simply using Cleveland as leverage in his own negotiation with Kentucky.

He has cash...

power

opportunity at Kentucky as well

he is afforded a shorter season

less travel

where he doesn't have to live in Cleveland.

there is a long history of many of the most respected coaches in basketball that never left college.

You do know he coached the Nets right? It wouldn't be his first time in the pros...

tredigs
06-10-2014, 07:29 PM
Yeah you didn't speculate at all... :) Just the following 8 times...

You do know he coached the Nets right? It wouldn't be his first time in the pros...
Nice try.

The first of those was preceded by me saying that was something others might speculate (conveniently left out), and the following 7 are outright facts.

And yes, I'm aware he coached the Nets for a couple years. Point?

Heading to work, but keep on keeping on.

KnicksorBust
06-10-2014, 08:52 PM
Nice try.

The first of those was preceded by me saying that was something others might speculate (conveniently left out), and the following 7 are outright facts.

And yes, I'm aware he coached the Nets for a couple years. Point?

Heading to work, but keep on keeping on.

You list a variety of reasons why he would want to stay at Kentucky under the cloak of saying "others might speculate" and then claim you aren't "pretending to know his motives." So you aren't pretending to know his motives you are just listing a completely one-sided version of them in a public online forum... What is the difference exactly? I especially enjoyed the false theory of him "using Cleveland as leverage in his own negotiation with Kentucky" which was dis-proven by Woj.