PDA

View Full Version : Evaluate the Officiating in the Finals so Far

JasonJohnHorn
06-09-2014, 11:03 AM
On a scale from 1-10, '1' being these guys are working for bookies and '10' these guys are as impartial as Sweden, what do you give the officials so far.

I get a little frustrated on plays like this: http://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/assets/4583163/flopped_medium.gif

It is clear the official did not have position to see contact and made the call based solely on Wade's reaction (and I'm not suggesting that this is just going one way in the series, this is just an example). I hate when officials make calls when they KNOW they didn't actually SEE the contact. That bothers me a lot.

I know Chamlbers complained that there was a lot of flopping after game one, buy given that these games were so close (game one was close until about 3-minutes to play and game 2 was decided by a basket), officiating can play a HUGE role in outcome of the game.

Are the officials doing a good job so far?

goingfor28
06-09-2014, 11:13 AM
Nba is prob the worst officiated sport imo, and easily the one that gets complained about the most. It's crazy how much complaining there has been this postseason (myself included)
They need to do a better job and also correctly enforce the flop rule, bc flopping is fkn annoying imo whether it's wade, manu, lebron, blake, cp3, harden, etc etc. It looks absolutely stupid and is a lame excuse for a play.

Sactown
06-09-2014, 11:19 AM
Outside of the big flop by Wade, they allowed it to get physical on both sides and called it pretty consistent.. can't really complain in my eyes,

Red_Pill
06-09-2014, 11:31 AM
Outside of a few bad calls, the series has been called pretty fairly. Probably the most consistent I've seen the officiating be this postseason.

YoungOne
06-09-2014, 11:39 AM
I think the refs werent great so far, but I guess their mistakes are pretty balanced.

Wade should be fined atleast.

Iggz53
06-09-2014, 11:48 AM
The 2nd quarter officiating of Game 2 was at best, nauseating. Terrible call after terrible call and they completely lost control of the game. Overall, it was a poorly officiated game and per usual, drastic changes need to made about how games are officiated. Whether they will actually happen remains to be seen.

LongIslandIcedZ
06-09-2014, 12:08 PM
Cant complain. I thought the refs really let them play yesterday. Yea that flop by Wade was pathetic, but Manu certainly isnt one to complain.

ManRam
06-09-2014, 12:12 PM
It's been fine. A couple bad calls both ways, as always. The Wade one being the most obvious, but that happens. They've been consistent(ly bad at times) at the very least. I don't think you can say it has favored one team more than the other.

I mean, let's not forget that LeBron foul (that wasn't one) that lead to him getting T'd up too. That was a big call and could have been a big momentum swinger. The questionable flagrant went SAS' way too (I thought it was the right call). You can always pick and choose calls to make it look one sided...but I don't think it truly has been at all.

It's the hardest sport to officiate. There are always going to be bad calls. We're dealing with humans here. You just gotta hope it evens out over time, and I think it has.

Fouls called:

34 against the Spurs
41 against the Heat

FTA:

42 for the Spurs
32 for the Heat

Pretty much your standard HCA discrepancy there, I'd imagine.

Of all the things to enjoy, worry about, debate, fight, etc...I don't get the ref-obsession. It hasn't been a factor.

FlashBolt
06-09-2014, 12:16 PM
37 FT's per game for both teams is pretty much your average. I think it has been called appropriately. Some missed calls here and there but let's not pretend that it's something that can be avoided. Refs will miss some calls.

macc
06-09-2014, 12:20 PM
I feel sorry for people who focus on the refs more then the game/players. At some point you have to accept the fact bad calls are going to happen. There isn't a huge conspiracy behind it. Let the best team win.

An NBA team will score anywhere from 80-130 pts a game. Depending on how good/bad of defense you play will determine if the other team scores closer to 80 then 130. These handful of bad calls each game aren't the deciding factor (esp when they typically even out in the end). Offense/offensive strategy is, Defense/defensive strategy is what makes the difference.

If bad calls are going to drive you nuts then don't watch the NBA. It's going to happen. Esp with the NBA players being as good of actors as they are. Which makes me think of something else. People get so upset at a bad call by the refs but is just fine with a player selling a foul to make the job harder on the ref himself. Makes no sense.

Chronz
06-09-2014, 12:23 PM
Your scale is embarrassing. Funny to some, but embarrassing to actual NBA fans who know the refs aren't corruptly biased, just human.

2-ONE-5
06-09-2014, 12:55 PM
refs have been fine. their human and are going to miss some regardless but outside of the ridiculous Wade flop last night i think its been good.

Teeboy1487
06-09-2014, 02:01 PM
The refs have not been that bad imo. I refuse to blame the flops on them. That's on the players who take advantage of the rules. Flopping penalties need to be more severe. I say suspensions because it's cheating.

Bruno
06-09-2014, 02:02 PM
overall its been okay, but that one ref from yesterday. white dude with greying hair. he made several calls when i was like WTF and every time I looked to see who made the call it was him.

Chronz
06-09-2014, 02:26 PM
The refs have not been that bad imo. I refuse to blame the flops on them. That's on the players who take advantage of the rules. Flopping penalties need to be more severe. I say suspensions because it's cheating.
2 and its a suspension.

Auseranami
06-09-2014, 02:29 PM
Flopping aside, the refs, for the most part, are calling it pretty evenly. They're letting them get fairly physical, and it's making for some fun basketball to watch. That wade flop is the only time I've been upset at the officials in these finals.

JasonJohnHorn
06-09-2014, 04:58 PM
Your scale is embarrassing. Funny to some, but embarrassing to actual NBA fans who know the refs aren't corruptly biased, just human.

Well, first, I think it is important to note that there HAVE been NBA officials making calls for bookies (Donaghy), and second, I didn't instruct guys to pick "1" or "10", but between them.

If I limited to option to "just human" and "super human accuracy" it wouldn't be much a scale. Some people DO think the officials have an overt bias going in.

I'm not sure how my scale implies a bias or lack there of. It simply asks the question.

ghettosean
06-09-2014, 05:36 PM
Outside of a few bad calls, the series has been called pretty fairly. Probably the most consistent I've seen the officiating be this postseason.

Agreed I complain a lot about how pathetic the reffing is in the league but for this series it has been pretty fair thus far minus a few flops... Hope they keep it up.

unleashthebeast
06-09-2014, 05:44 PM
The only major complaint I have so far is that the whistle seems to be getting blown like 3 or 4 seconds after the foul is actually made. I get that as long as the call is right I shouldn't gripe about it, but this is the only time in recent memory I've seen officials wait so long to make these calls.

Other than that though, I think it's been pretty fair so far. Obviously I have bias though so I can't say much :shrug:

Deception
06-09-2014, 07:11 PM
Love how they let the players get physical, only on one or two occasions did I see an unnecessary foul called.

Chronz
06-09-2014, 08:35 PM
Well, first, I think it is important to note that there HAVE been NBA officials making calls for bookies (Donaghy), and second, I didn't instruct guys to pick "1" or "10", but between them.
Joking aside, Donaghy claimed to have NEVER rigged a game himself, hes not in jail because of that very fact.

If I limited to option to "just human" and "super human accuracy" it wouldn't be much a scale. Some people DO think the officials have an overt bias going in.

I'm not sure how my scale implies a bias or lack there of. It simply asks the question.
True. I was being over the top to grab your attention. It worked. Sucker.

JasonJohnHorn
06-09-2014, 10:19 PM
Joking aside, Donaghy claimed to have NEVER rigged a game himself, hes not in jail because of that very fact.

True. I was being over the top to grab your attention. It worked. Sucker.

lol

PurpleLynch
06-10-2014, 06:32 AM
I'd give 'em a 8,considering the high pressure of officiating the Finals and the general level of refs these playoffs showed us.