PDA

View Full Version : As Wizards GM: What would you do?

papipapsmanny
06-07-2014, 08:24 PM
Okay I know (Wiz Forum), but nobody talks there, and I like outside perspective. So he is my annual Wiz thread in the NBA forum.

Simply if you were the Wizard's GM what do you do in what is a very vital offseason for the franchise.

You have Gortat/Ariza as FAs. Nene and Wesbter as players you would like to trade if you could

No 1st round pick.

Otto Porter lurking in shadows as someone who is still intriguing

Wall and Beal are a great foundation to have, but the team has decisions to make for sure.

What do you think they should do?

raiderposting
06-07-2014, 08:29 PM
They might be stuck in mediocracy.

papipapsmanny
06-07-2014, 08:34 PM

You see I believe this offseason will determine that....

I went them to be bold and offer Monroe and big contract, let Ariza and Gortat walk, and role with Porter/Wesbter at the SF position.

NBA_Starter
06-07-2014, 08:43 PM

It is a possibility, I think there are a lot better coaches out there that they could have had.

THE MTL
06-07-2014, 09:02 PM
I think Wall and Beal will only get better. This is Wall's first true no injury sesson and the guy is an allstar. If he can put together another few complete seasons he can be top 5 nba pg. And Beal is destined to be a 20+ppg scorer.

If I was the wizards I would resign everyone and keep that team together. Unless they can get Greg Monroe like that other poster said

xbrackattackx
06-07-2014, 09:28 PM
I would sign and trade Gortat ,Ariza and Porter and a Future first to the rockets for Lin,Asik and Parsons.

LIN could be a great sixth man for them. And parsons and asik add defense.

Wall
Beal
Parsons/Webster
Nene
Asik

Houston gets rid of Lin and Asik and save money to get someone. Also get a future first,Ariza and porter.

P&GRealist
06-07-2014, 09:42 PM
I would not overpay for Ariza. At most he is worth $4M per.

This was a contract yr for him. He played lights out like this in 2009 when the Lakers won the chip (another one of his contract yrs). But that summer, he and his agent were playing hardball, and Dr. Buss wouldn't have it. That same night, Lakers signed Artest (2010 Lakers didn't miss a beat) and told Ariza to hit the road.

Morey as always overpaid for Ariza, traded him after just 1 season, and he bounced around from Houston to NOLA to WAS. He's been mediocre up until this recent 'contract yr'.

Ariza is a good piece to have, but plz DO NOT Overpay for him.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-07-2014, 09:49 PM
If I were in charge of he Wizards, I'd consider trading Porter to create cap space so that you can re-sign Gortat and also sign Deng.

I would sign and trade Gortat ,Ariza and Porter and a Future first to the rockets for Lin,Asik and Parsons.

Wall
Beal
Parsons/Webster
Nene
Asik

Houston gets rid of Lin and Asik and save money to get someone. Also get a future first,Ariza and porter.

And Houston does that because...?

kobe4thewinbang
06-07-2014, 09:49 PM
I think they should resign Gortat and let Ariza go. They should look to sign a good free agent and generally just give the team another year. I think they will do even better next year, maybe get past the 2nd round with Wall & Beal.

Hopefully no more injuries to J-Wall, who I was impressed by.

Bruno
06-07-2014, 09:50 PM
they should let ariza walk so they can develop Porter Jr.

NBA_Starter
06-07-2014, 09:53 PM
they should let ariza walk so they can develop Porter Jr.

But they want to win now.

Bruno
06-07-2014, 10:08 PM
washington got too good one year too soon.

if you're starting from scratch like washington was in the post Arenas era, you're going to need to be bad for at least three, probably four, maybe five seasons before you can develop your lottery selections into a legitimate core. since their first post-arenas lottery year in 2009 Washington has drafted:

2009: traded their 5th overall pick with other players for Mike Miller and Randy Foye. Ricky Rubio, Steph Curry, Demar Derozen, Jrue Holiday and Taj Gibson were still left on the board. I don't know why any GM would give up a top five pick in a draft like 2009. especially when all you're getting back are two good rotation players in Miller and Foye. that's a major fail in the rebuilding process.

2010: John Wall. well done.

2011: Jan Vesely with the 6th pick. Became a total bust and was just packaged in a three team deal that brought Andre Miller to Washingotn. total fail. Klay Thompson, Kwiah Leonard and Tobias Harris were still on the board.

2012: Bradley Beal. well done.

2013: Otto Porter Jr. didn't even play last year, was buried on the bench behind Ariza and Webster

If Porter becomes a bust because they don't develop him quickly enough, they will have a 40% success mark over a five year period in the lottery. thats not going to get it done if you want to build a contender. you need at least three and if you wana get OKC excellent about it you'll get four. Washington is sitting at two, with a big question mark around Porter JR, with no lottery selection in this loaded draft.

Washington blew their rebuild with the Gortat trade, and Arizas emergence. they should have spent the season developing Porter with Beal while Wall demonstrated all-star abilities on a team that finishes out of the playoffs in the east, but not at the bottom of the conference either. Gortat and Ariza make them good enough to be a respectable playoff team, but second round exit is the ceiling. had they waited a year and developed Porter JR, they could have had a shot at developing their third guy, while landing a lottery pick in this years draft in the process.

Now maybe gortat and ariza go, maybe they stay. if they stay washington is a second round exit until walls contract expires. if they go, wall and beal are too good together to land a top lottery selection, but will be bound to late lottery or first round exits until walls contract is up.

classic case of jumping the gun here with washington. blowing their 2009 and 2011 lottery selections gives them zero wiggle room here with Porter.

Bruno
06-07-2014, 10:08 PM
But they want to win now.

thats the problem imo. they're not quite there yet (unless they want to build and pay for a team with a second round ceiling).

sep11ie
06-07-2014, 10:34 PM

Wall
Beal
Parsons/Webster
Nene
Asik

Ummmm, what?

papipapsmanny
06-07-2014, 10:34 PM
Bruno good points Grunfield is dumbass, all Wiz fans hate him. We wall wanted Leonard in that draft and of course he picks the Euro (always does)

Like I said I see the solution to greater potential is letting Ariza/Gortat Walk, signing Monroe for good money (you have to if you want him). Nene's contract comes off the books about the time Beal will want a new one.

Wall
Beal
Porter/Webster
Nene
Monroe

Is a team that can win now, and has a lot of potential to grow

JEDean89
06-07-2014, 10:41 PM
trade everyone and everything not named beal and wall for love, my guess is chicago, boston and wash will have a leg up because of minnesota not wanting to stack another western conference team.

NBA_Starter
06-07-2014, 10:54 PM
trade everyone and everything not named beal and wall for love, my guess is chicago, boston and wash will have a leg up because of minnesota not wanting to stack another western conference team.

Him on the Wiz would be tough.

papipapsmanny
06-07-2014, 11:01 PM
Him on the Wiz would be tough.

As a Wiz fan I can't see how they can get him without Beal/Wall being in the deal

Shammyguy3
06-07-2014, 11:43 PM
I really like the idea of going after Greg Monroe. He would provide the low post presence for that team over the next 8+ years. Wall/Beal/Monroe is plenty of offense, you just need to get a defensive PF to make up for Monroe's deficiencies in that area and hope Wall/Beal can develop into a more dynamic Celtics' Rondo/Allen

lakerboy
06-08-2014, 08:16 AM
1. They gotta get rid of that contract with Nene man. That's absurd. Nene will not bring you over the top.
2. Sign Greg Monroe and or Chandler Parsons
3. Free up cap space for Kevin Love and Kevin Durant (who is from DC)

c.c.
06-08-2014, 08:24 AM

Wall
Beal
Parsons/Webster
Nene
Asik

:laugh:

VCaintdead17
06-08-2014, 10:30 AM
Wizards actually have a lot of flexibility right now. They could either keep Ariza and Gortat and solidify the 4-6 seed spot for the next few years, or focus on building up their young assets. Knowing the Wizard's history they'll probably do the former when they should definitely do the latter. Gortat is in a prime position to get overpaid.

Personally, I'd let them both walk and go after a younger big man that you can pair with that back court. Greg Monroe would be ideal. I'd just bite the bullet for a couple more years and sacrifice any and all rim protection until Nene's deal expires. It's a fair sacrifice, a young trio of Wall, Beal and Monroe has a sky high ceiling.

Also develop Otto Porter. Because of how dynamic Wall and Beal are, Porter doesn't need to be a guy that can create his own shot. Mold him into a 3 & D player and he'll slide into that line up perfectly. He could easily be a slightly more athletic and better defending version of Ariza, with less miles on him.

Also, Randy Wittman is not a playoff coach, so there's that.

kingsdelez24
06-08-2014, 03:44 PM
I would not overpay for Ariza. At most he is worth $4M per.

This was a contract yr for him. He played lights out like this in 2009 when the Lakers won the chip (another one of his contract yrs). But that summer, he and his agent were playing hardball, and Dr. Buss wouldn't have it. That same night, Lakers signed Artest (2010 Lakers didn't miss a beat) and told Ariza to hit the road.

Morey as always overpaid for Ariza, traded him after just 1 season, and he bounced around from Houston to NOLA to WAS. He's been mediocre up until this recent 'contract yr'.

Ariza is a good piece to have, but plz DO NOT Overpay for him.

Its gonna be at least 5 million because they signed Martell Webster to that last year

Deception
06-08-2014, 06:31 PM
I don't see Detroit giving up Monroe without getting anything in return back, we will match whatever is offered most likely unless a trade is made that benefits us.

papipapsmanny
06-09-2014, 01:09 PM
I don't see Detroit giving up Monroe without getting anything in return back, we will match whatever is offered most likely unless a trade is made that benefits us.

Its hard to imagine them matching a big offer when the have Drummond and Smith.

I want the Wizards to remain relevant. It is good for the NBA. It is actually kind of a disgrace that the NBA and a lot of its fans perceives D.C. as a small market, which is insane. It actually makes the league look bad they they treat such a big market like small one.

Deception
06-09-2014, 01:12 PM
Its hard to imagine them matching a big offer when the have Drummond and Smith.

I want the Wizards to remain relevant. It is good for the NBA. It is actually kind of a disgrace that the NBA and a lot of its fans perceives D.C. as a small market, which is insane. It actually makes the league look bad they they treat such a big market like small one.

Essentially they'd match and look to trade. I just don't see them letting him walk without getting something in return.

ManRam
06-09-2014, 02:08 PM
1. They gotta get rid of that contract with Nene man. That's absurd. Nene will not bring you over the top.
2. Sign Greg Monroe and or Chandler Parsons
3. Free up cap space for Kevin Love and Kevin Durant (who is from DC)

Get rid of Nene just to replace him with Monroe, and probably an even bigger/worse contract? Nah. At least Nene defends. Going from Gortat to Monroe already is gonna hurt defensively a good deal. "Getting rid of" Nene would just make things worse on that end. Nene's far from a bad player.

It's certainly going to be an interesting off season for them. A lot of things are certainly way up in the air right now. I'm not convinced they'll come out of it a better team, but we'll see. They're kinda in that we-have-to-funnel-money-into-this-team-now stage of things, but that's not always the best way to go about it. I think patience still is the best way to go. Overspending on Monroe just to get someone isn't worth it. That money can be better spent.

MonroeFAN
06-09-2014, 02:19 PM
I'm a bit surprised that no one has mentioned trading Wall. I'm not saying that I would do it, but he sucked during the post-season.

His value is high, you could land a star, or a lot of prospects/picks most likely. Someone who can shoot the damn ball.

ManRam
06-09-2014, 02:26 PM
I'm a bit surprised that no one has mentioned trading Wall. I'm not saying that I would do it, but he sucked during the post-season.

His value is high, you could land a star, or a lot of prospects/picks most likely. Someone who can shoot the damn ball.

They just locked him up. If you're a team like Washington, the security of having him under contract for that long is too valuable to get cute and trade him away, especially simply because he had a bad playoffs.

What type of "star" are you hypothesizing, out of curiosity.

KnicksorBust
06-09-2014, 03:40 PM

Wall
Beal
Parsons/Webster
Nene
Asik

Love this answer. I dont think the Wiz are nearly as far from contending as people think. They are in the weaker conference and have amazing young talent. Keep the core together and build chemistry. No big shake-ups. The only one worth pursuing is Monroe. Wall-Beal-Monroe could be the core.

MonroeFAN
06-09-2014, 03:42 PM
Well I'm not fully sure who, I'm sure you could get some great value for him though. I think bad might be an understatement for Wall's playoff performance.