PDA

View Full Version : NBA prospect shoots up draft board after 46 inch vertical leap!

grandsalami
06-05-2014, 01:30 PM
Nick Flit ‏@NickFlit 15h
#NBA prospect shoots up draft board after 46 inch vertical #leap #whoa http://finance.yahoo.com/news/nba-draft-prospect-jumps-freakishly-193900859.html

ManRam
06-05-2014, 01:35 PM
I've long loved LaVine, but I think it's a bit silly to suggest that NBA front offices are going to vault a guy up a ton of spots on their big board just because he jumped a few inches higher than they thought. We all knew before this that he was a hyper-athlete. This just confirms it. And great athleticism =/= great NBA player. Far from it.

And, for the record, that wasn't a standing leap. He took three steps. Not that it makes it unimpressive or anything.

He's incredibly raw. It's a gamble, but if it pays off he could be a stud. He's got a beautiful shooting stroke too.

abe_froman
06-05-2014, 01:39 PM
yeah,he was already projected late lotto and i cant see him going higher than 7 or 8

slaker619
06-05-2014, 01:53 PM
Crazy leap !

DillyDill
06-05-2014, 02:09 PM
46 absolutely insane!!!

Raps18-19 Champ
06-05-2014, 02:10 PM
I wanted him since I really like tall PG's but he's way gone by the time the Raptors pick.

Crackadalic
06-05-2014, 02:27 PM
There saying Westbrook except not as good defensively

abe_froman
06-05-2014, 02:40 PM
no,he isnt.he's a much better shooter than wb is ,and lacks the aggressiveness that wb does.the wetbrook comp came from both being highly athletic ucla guards

ManRam
06-05-2014, 02:46 PM
The RWB comps start and end because he played for UCLA and is super athletic. That's really about it. It's a lazy comp.

jerellh528
06-05-2014, 02:58 PM
The RWB comps start and end because he played for UCLA and is super athletic. That's really about it. It's a lazy comp.

I'm interested in your comparison.

abe_froman
06-05-2014, 03:11 PM
i like the crawford comp out of he ones i've heard,like a more athletic crawford when he was young

ManRam
06-05-2014, 04:15 PM

It really just breaks down to the shot for me. LaVine's shot figures to be a huge strength of his. That's not at all a big strength of Russell. And shooting ability isn't something worth ignoring. I know it's what nbadraft net has him compared to, but whatever. I still think it's lazy (I say this admitting that I'm far from a scout). I just think that if he didn't go to UCLA that wouldn't be the comparison people use.

He's like Gerald Green, 2014 version maybe? Green is a high riser, but a much better shooter than Westbrook and taller than Westbrook as well. I also don't think there's any way he plays the point, something Westbrook can do. He also hates contact/physical play (that can change)...that's the antithesis to Westy as well.

Maybe a slightly more dynamic Terrence Ross?

I think the Crawford comps are closer than the Westy ones too.

WITZ
06-05-2014, 05:04 PM
Joe Alexander 2.0 who also shot up draft boards?? or can this guy actually play.

Kaner
06-05-2014, 05:16 PM
His combine already cemented him as a lottery pick and a super athlete, I dont think this changes his draft stock.

Crunch Time
06-05-2014, 05:35 PM
Should have stayed in school I think...

abe_froman
06-05-2014, 05:39 PM
Joe Alexander 2.0 who also shot up draft boards?? or can this guy actually play.
big difference between the two,alexander couldnt shoot

Should have stayed in school I think...
i dont think so,he's a lotto pick and with how he and the coach got a long i doubt he would have been featured enough to raise his stock any higher

NBA_Starter
06-05-2014, 05:52 PM
Hornets will probably take him at 9.

abe_froman
06-05-2014, 05:55 PM
i think he'd be a fun pick for you guys,but i think you guys will either go stauskas or young

b_russ
06-05-2014, 05:57 PM
It really just breaks down to the shot for me. LaVine's shot figures to be a huge strength of his. That's not at all a big strength of Russell. And shooting ability isn't something worth ignoring. I know it's what nbadraft net has him compared to, but whatever. I still think it's lazy (I say this admitting that I'm far from a scout). I just think that if he didn't go to UCLA that wouldn't be the comparison people use.

He's like Gerald Green, 2014 version maybe? Green is a high riser, but a much better shooter than Westbrook and taller than Westbrook as well. I also don't think there's any way he plays the point, something Westbrook can do. He also hates contact/physical play (that can change)...that's the antithesis to Westy as well.

Maybe a slightly more dynamic Terrence Ross?

I think the Crawford comps are closer than the Westy ones too.

Nbadraft.net also compared DeShawn Stevenson to Michael Jordan. They're usually way off base with their assessments. Draftexpress is so much more thorough.

beasted86
06-05-2014, 07:00 PM

How many combo guards do the Hornets need?? Holiday, Gordon, Evans, Rivers isn't enough?

Cal827
06-05-2014, 07:12 PM

Nobody can be a good defensively as Westbrook. After all....

b_russ
06-05-2014, 07:23 PM
How many combo guards do the Hornets need?? Holiday, Gordon, Evans, Rivers isn't enough?

http://i.lvme.me/swtmvsx.jpg

beasted86
06-05-2014, 07:27 PM
http://i.lvme.me/swtmvsx.jpg

Lol...

Totally forgot about this Pelicans/Hornets swap. This is going to happen a lot more by a bunch of fans and broadcasters alike.

Crackadalic
06-05-2014, 08:50 PM
no,he isnt.he's a much better shooter than wb is ,and lacks the aggressiveness that wb does.the wetbrook comp came from both being highly athletic ucla guards

I don't fully agree with what their saying just quoting what they said. Better shooter no doubt. I don't see him becoming anything in a few years

sixer04fan
06-05-2014, 09:05 PM
I don't think he's vaulting up anyone's draft board. He's always been projected in the 10-15ish range and still will be. He's an athletic freak with a high ceiling, who's still got a few years of learning the game and harnessing his abilities to go.

By the way, he got a small running start on that 46" vertical. That's way different than the standing vert and the one-step vert, which is what everyone's tested on at the combine. LaVine had a great combine, and a 46" running start vertical is amazing no doubt, but I don't think it changes anything that everyone already knew about him.